Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,903 members, 7,810,468 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World (30455 Views)

Ben-Bruce Mocked Buhari With The Age Of His Ministers(Photos) / Employers Of Labour Should Consider Men Of Marriageable Age / Women Are Still Banned From These Things In Various Places Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by 99cent: 8:34am On Jul 21, 2013
ihimami:
With this your argument, you may as well support gay marriage and Inbreeding marriage because the world is changing and it means progress with total freedom for an individual choice.

so because some backward africans practice underage marriage so therefore those who are opposed to underage marriage must be also in support of gay marriage and inbreeding.
this is getting serious.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by 99cent: 8:37am On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

However, what have you lot done about those Catholic Priests ra.ping young black boys in their ar.ses on that continent? Churches ra.ping people's pockets by selling them a dream? And all your sisters around Europe prostituting themselves everywhere giving black women a disgusting image?

your hatred against women (black and african women to be specific) which caused you to open this thread is very evident for all to see.

that last part of your post is known as human or s.ex trafficking. which thank God is against the law. Although governments spend more time persecuting the pro.stitutes (who are often young girls) than they do persecuting the pimps and traffickers.

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by ba7man(m): 8:40am On Jul 21, 2013
Marrying/Sex with kids is wrong. END OF STORY!!! Because some people engage in it doesn't make it right.

4 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 21, 2013
99cent:
your hatred against women (black and african women to be specific) which caused you to open this thread is very evident for all to see.

that last part of your post is known as human or s.ex trafficking. which thank God is against the law. Although governments spend more time persecuting the pro.stitutes than they do p.ersecuting the pimps and traffickers.

So I'm not a pervert anymore, I'm now a black-women hater, no? I bet I'll be labelled a phaggot soon. grin You definitely can't make this shyte up!! grin

It isn't about prosecuting them, it's about you lot coming out to fight it, like you have been crying everywhere about this one. Upstanding people are tired of going everywhere in Europe and seeing Nigerian women prostituting everywhere - it's shameful. I know there aren't that many who do direct prostitution in the UK - however most of them are more or less prostitutes and you will phuck them by driving a nice car and giving them some loose change.

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by luvmijeje(f): 8:49am On Jul 21, 2013
Warning! It's now time to start quoting intelligent posts which means the posters are intelligent, humane and good people. They are the type of posters we need more in this country.

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by luvmijeje(f): 8:51am On Jul 21, 2013
koruji: I hope you were conscious when you wrote the below? Are you suggesting that allowing people "freedom to their way-of-life" include allowing them to deny a young kind her own god-given freedom to live free and make their own decisions in life? Are you in the fullness of your mind considering a girl of 6, 9 or 13 forced (forced because she is incapable of consenting) as being allowed her "freedom to her own way of life"?

Most of the evils that have been perpetrated on planet earth were actually the way of life of some people - that did not make them permissible or something that should be practiced in the 21st century.

No God, no matter what his name, made your third-leg the authority over another's life - it is as simple as that.

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by luvmijeje(f): 8:53am On Jul 21, 2013
seunfly: Shym-x, u should knw that:
1) Most of those laws have clauses that restrict d age of marriage couples i.e the husband and wife must atleast be of equal or almost equal in age, say 15y 4d girl and 17y or 20y 4 male. Any wide margin in age is not acceptable because we all know d obvious exploitation that will take place in d life of d younger partner.
2) Laws are promogated as a solution to existing problems arising from d ways of lives of a man at a particular moment/period of time. This is limited to d knowledge and expiriences he has at dt particular time, which means dt as he aquires more wisdon, knowledge and expiriences the laws are bound to change and be amended to reflect those expiriences and knowledge aquired over time. Therefore it is not normal to hold onto old laws in d name of anything despite d knowledge and expiriences of flaws seen in such laws.
3 If not for selfish reason, with d informations on ground about d resultant effect of child pregnancy ( physicaly, mentaly and medicaly) in d world today, nobody should be formulating d laws dt will encourage such act today. No cultural or religious laws should be encouraged to put those children at risk.
4 In all we do, let us put sentiment from any angle( religion and culture) apart and face d reality of today in other to set rules for our selves. Many people in support of this child molestation called marriage to an adult old enough to be her grandpa can't even allow their own children do such thing because of the true reality he or she knows, why then old to such laws in d name of anything.

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by 99cent: 8:53am On Jul 21, 2013
ba7man: Marrying/Sex with kids is wrong. END OF STORY!!! Because some people engage in it doesn't make it right.

100x likes

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by luvmijeje(f): 8:54am On Jul 21, 2013
OAM4J:

Who are these people you are asking to fight for themselves? You forgot the victims here are kids. How do you expect them to fight for themselves? Form an association of underage wives or start kicking against their aggressive randy husbands' blokos? Or do you expect their men who are the benefactors of the crime to fight for them?

No, those of us who have not been corrupted by that way of life have to stand up for them. They are Nigerians and citizens of the world. We must defend and protect them at all cost. There are many ways we can fight for them and whether you know it or not, the fight has already began with many people speaking out against it. I know the fight will not be won overnight, but if we continue the fight, naming and shaming those involve, without some voices like yours who also disapprove the practice but want these people to be left alone and continue their ways of life, soon and very soon it will stop or be reduced to barest minimum, especially when many who are currently sitting on the fence join the fight.

I know a lot of the senators did not vote, cos 35 is definitely not the majority number in the senate. Hopefully in the nearest future many of them will move against it and it will become illegal to marry underage and then we will also strive to enforce that law.

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by luvmijeje(f): 8:56am On Jul 21, 2013
baby_123:

I know better about this than you can ever comprehend. I cited examples. A 19yr old cannot date a 17yr old. If the 17yr old brings it to the authorities, the adult will end up in jail with a child molester tag for life. Everywhere you live, you will have to register as a child molester so all the parents in the area know you live there. If you want to use America as a justification, find a better example.. Ask those who live in America and are in the system. What you read on paper is not what is on ground. Are you blind where you see most of them require court orders? I saw that list too you know.

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by luvmijeje(f): 8:58am On Jul 21, 2013
99cent:

This is what you said, and I quote: "However, people need to be allowed to lead their lives the way they want, as long as it's part of their culture."
hence, let nigerians who want to marry off 13 yr old do so without repercussions?
might as well start saying twins should henceforth be killed and thrown off into forests because it's "part of our culture"
sometimes, a culture might have bad aspects that needs to be CHANGED.
let's not forget that it hasn't been too many yrs when we had some pastors and churches maiming and torturing children because they were accused of "witchcraft" ie child witches. should this also be allowed because it is part of our culture? that one is one heck of a backward culture, and on the contrary, cultures are meant to progress. otherwise u won't even be typing from a computer (modern apparatus) as we speak.

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 21, 2013
I know everyone keeps screaming responsibility to protect (R2P). However where's your R2P against:

- Child labour in the same country.
- Poverty and bad governance.
- Extreme corruption.
- Social exploitation of kids etc. in the same country.

I bet you lot are just screaming because those involved are Northerners who y'all love to hate. However, can't you see that it takes two to tango? If the people (Northern Nigerians) directly affected by it don't care - why the fvck should I?

GTFOH! - and post more topics about the future of the country and how to take power away from the center!

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by luvmijeje(f): 8:59am On Jul 21, 2013
Pataki:
You are outrightly defending this madness. How do you know it does not affect me? This is a national issue NOT a regional issue as you are trying to present it. When this kind of disgusting laws are passed by the senate in Nigeria, it has everything to do with me. I am a NIGERIAN. I deserve a sane society, where kids and teenagers can just be themselves and not be forced into the bondage of marriage and child bearing just because the laws of the land permit it.

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by luvmijeje(f): 9:03am On Jul 21, 2013
God bless u all and God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by naptu2: 9:04am On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:
I know everyone keeps screaming responsibility to protect (R2P). However where's your R2P against:

- Extreme corruption.

I bet you lot are just screaming because those involved are Northerners who y'all love to hate. However, can't you see that it takes two to tango? If the people (Northern Nigerians) directly affected by it don't care - why the fvck should I?

GTFOH! - and post more topics about the future of the country and how to take power away from the center!

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:11am On Jul 21, 2013
shymexx for God's sakes we are talking about making this a NIGERIAN CONSTITUTIONAL LAW NOT A NORTHERN CONSTITUTIONAL LAW. It has always been thier culture to marry teenagers although not legal but we respect it and live with it and let it remain that way. we are not telling them to stop praticing thier beliefs..but it shuld not be made legal,they are not the only ones in this country.
Just imagine those who are not northerns that will take advantage of it,if it is made legal

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:16am On Jul 21, 2013

7 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 21, 2013
^^^Who told you I believe in the nonsense about pseudo-progressives you lot tout everywhere in Nigeria? Well, I'm a Liberal with cultural conservatism leaning - you may call it Liberal Conservatism.

And how does someone marrying four wives and having nine children affects your life? The last time I checked, Nigeria isn't a welfare state. Most of you just spew tosh without understanding what the heck you're talking about. undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 21, 2013
Joavid: shymexx for God's sakes we are talking about making this a NIGERIAN CONSTITUTIONAL LAW NOT A NORTHERN CONSTITUTIONAL LAW. It has always been thier culture to marry teenagers although not legal but we respect it and live with it and let it remain that way. we are not telling them to stop praticing thier beliefs..but it shuld not be made legal,they are not the only ones in this country.
Just imagine those who are not northerns that will take advantage of it,if it is made legal

Jo-girl, it doesn't affect you, the beautiful one.

When I'm from, they just passed a law for same sex marriage, and I have no problem with it since it doesn't affect me. The law is just there for those who believe in it.

You'd be alright - if anyone tries that crap with you, shout me. I shall D'jango their ar.ses!! tongue

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by ba7man(m): 9:52am On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:
^^^Who told you I believe in the nonsense about pseudo-progressives you lot tout everywhere in Nigeria? Well, I'm a Liberal with cultural conservatism leaning - you may call it Liberal Conservatism.

And how does someone marrying four wives and having nine children affects your life? The last time I checked, Nigeria isn't a welfare state. Most of your just spew tosh without understanding what the heck you're talking about. undecided undecided
It really does affect not only our lives as Nigerians but Africa as a whole and even the World. You're an exposed guy so you should know what the chain reaction will lead to. Its already widespread in the Nigeria.....Almajiris and Violent, idle criminals that morphed into Boko-Haram....

They are unable to care for their families but still keep giving birth like rats. The Children become a burden on the society when they resort to crime. Population growth is slowing down on other continents but Africa's increasing despite out economic and social situation there-by adding a burden on the already stressed system.

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 21, 2013
ba7man: It really does affect not only our lives as Nigerians but Africa as a whole and even the World. You're an exposed guy so you should know what the chain reaction will lead to. Its already widespread in the Nigeria.....Almajiris and Violent, idle criminals that morphed into Boko-Haram....

They are unable to care for their families but still keep giving birth like rats. The Children become a burden on the society when they resort to crime. Population growth is slowing down on other continents but Africa's increasing despite out economic and social situation there-by adding a burden on the already stressed system.

Bro., if that's going to be the end game. Why not use this as a catalyst to save yourselves, and ask for your own freedom from the shackles of Nigeria? You can't keep carrying the next people's burdens forever - you have to take a stand and say enough is enough - and focus on yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by wirinet(m): 11:01am On Jul 21, 2013
Shym-x, You made some valid points about the age of marriage not being consistent around the world, and I alo liked your arguments about social evolution whereby primitive practices are gradually phased out. But then you go and spoil your arguments by stating that what happens in Northern Nigeria does not affect us. I do not believe you actually said that in this age of globalization when what happens in london can have far reaching consequences on nigerians in ibadan, not to talk of what is happeningin mali or chad.

You are using your age statistics wrongly, if you check well, there is no way the Yerima episode would be allowed in any of the countries you stated, where a man over 50 and with 3 other wives, including a Child wife is allowed to marry a 14 year old teenager. Even most Arab countries where the islamic religion started would not accept that.

In most countries you provided statistics of marriageable age for, it was lowered to make provisions for special cases where two closely aged couples are desiring to marry for expediency purposes (maybe the girl is pregnant and abortion is out of the question), or for aristocratic purposes ( by wealthy or aristrocratic families) to strengthen family or business ties. Meanwhile the Nigerian case is purely for sexual exploitation of girls by rich and powerful old perverted men, who practical buy the young girls off their parents purely for sexual satisfaction of the old men. Tell me how is it possible for a 13 yr old girl to fall in love and choose to marry a 50 yr old man? After marriage what will be the basis of the relationship outside se.x?

Why we are affected in all these is two fold; First the funds to run this child molestation system is coming from my region directly, most of these perverted men are non productive and rely on money from the centre gotten frtqom the resources and hard work of other regions. For examle where did yerima get the $100000 he was said to have paid for the egyptian minor? it was definitely sourced from the south-south.If they can generate their own revenue and decide to use it for exploiting young girls, then it might not concern me.

Secondly this system of using children as se.x slaves and baby production units is one factor responsible for the almajiri problem in the north. A lot of the young brides are abandoned once the teenage bride becomes a woman, either by the man moving unto younger brides or dying from old age. Then the women and their numerous children are left to fend for themselves. A lot of them migrate to other states and become a social problem and the ones that stay behind provide a source of terrorist recruits for Boko Haram and co. Believe me many families have been affected directly or indirectly by these terrorist organizations.

I wonder why some Northern old men can't excersise patience and wait for a few years for girls to fully mature before they poke their long john into them? Why the obsession with teen age virgins? We can even reduce the marriageable age to 16 as a compromise but marrying a 9, 11 or even 14 yr old girl by a 50yr old man is sickening.

4 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Jo-girl, it doesn't affect you, the beautiful one.

When I'm from, they just passed a law for same sex marriage, and I have no problem with it since it doesn't affect me. The law is just there for those who believe in it.

You'd be alright - if anyone tries that crap with you, shout me. I shall D'jango their ar.ses!! tongue

Hi ShyM-X,

I have been far too busy of late to contribute much to some of the debates unfolding.
On balance, I see no connection between the same sex marriage laws you alluded to, and the issue of protecting the rights of the weakest lot in our society - children.

Nigeria: Child Brides, Stolen Lives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0OHkEPDueI

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by koruji(m): 1:48pm On Jul 21, 2013
But the requirement to adopt Arab culture from the 7th century under Islam is the prime example of cultural imperialism. No?

ShyM-X:

Thanks, bro.

That's all I'm saying, bro. I don't agree with cultural imperialism and I believe people should be allowed to evolve at their own pace.

However, these non-achieving and simple-minded nutters are now accusing me of being a pervert, for advising against the cultural imperialism that made Africa the way it's now. Psychotic white-washed pricks!
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by OAM4J: 1:54pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

- Extreme corruption.

You are the one that hate the North and doesn't give a damm about them, on the contrary we care about those Northern kids same as our own younger sisters and daughters. You should care for those weak, innocents, helpless, voiceless girls. Give them help, strength and a voice.

I served in the North, you dont even get to see these child-brides outside or when you see them you mistake them for children of their husbands until you visit their hospitals and you see man inhumanity to children written boldly all over them. One will be heartless and as guilty as their molesters not to feel concerned.

And your arguments with other vices is weak. 2 or more wrongs dont make a right. Besides these other vises are not acceptable in law like the attempt to make child marriage legal. We only need to enforce the laws against them.

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Gbawes: 2:05pm On Jul 21, 2013
@ShyM-X
Am surprised someone living in Europe is promoting this pedophilia called marriage. Your arguments and assertions make it obvious you're a pedophile.

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by LagosShia: 2:57pm On Jul 21, 2013
[size=18pt]"Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts" [/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/1366430/muslims-reject-child-marriage-absolve#16919738

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by kraftykc(m): 3:14pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

1. Sir, that isn't my point - my point is that: people should be allowed freedom to their way-of-life. The Northerner Senators voted overwhelmingly for it and no Northerner has come out to speak out against it, so why're Southerners crying-me-a-river over what has absolutely nothing to do with them? At the end of the day, they aren't forcing anyone to practise, it's just there to enable those who believe in it do what they think is right for them.

2. Right or wrong is subjective and also based on outlook. Beating a child and child labour are wrong to most people. However, it's normal in Africa. So who am I to judge what a person thinks is right or wrong? Also, I definitely won't allow my under-aged sister and daughter to get married because it isn't part of my way-of-life and the consciousness instilled in me by my parents. But I definitely won't stop anyone else who believes in it, from doing it. How a person chooses to lead his/her life is non of my business.

3. There are also tons of adults (old bodies with young souls) who can't handle all these as well - should we also stop them from getting married?

Lastly, life is all about choices and if the people it affects directly are in support of it - why should we be ones fighting against it? When Northerners/Muslims start fighting against it - then I'll support their cause. Till then, we need to stop the distractions and focus on Nigeria, and all the unique problems in the country.

Your argument is sooo blindingly flawed it begs the question of what you arguing about.

1.FREEDOM TOO WAY OF LIFE: FINE! But what about the child's freedom to way of life? How many girls at that age are just itching to get married and have have babies? The horrible, incomprehensible truth is that those kids are scared witless by the choices THEIR parents have made for them. In these countries you mentioned those age waivers are given to children who are willful enough to demand an early marriage but still the age of CONSENT is still very high (universally 16). So freedom of choice is right and should protect the child's freedom as well.

2. RIGHT OR WRONG: Means absolute fuckall when you are in a democracy! Do you think if the country revisits the national oil sharing scheme the South-south senators will be in favour of it? They basically feed the entire nation and still get bullied by every region but who is batting an eyelid? The desires of the majority trump those of the minorities in a democracy, the north should get the Bleep in line when the rest of the country wants them to or GTFO of the republic (if they dare)!

3. Tons of adults cannot handle voting responsibilities? Says who? Is it that they are brain dead? Look talk something proper abeg, how many people do you see begging others to take their enfranchisement burden from them?

4. Like I said, the majority IS the rule, everything is okay till you challenge the status-quo. Stop and think about where we would be as a the freaking earth today if Abraham Lincoln didn't challenge the normal slave practice that abrogated the freedom of slaves but exulted the masters. Those little girls will thank us as grown women tomorrow.

4 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by littleb(m): 3:14pm On Jul 21, 2013
Let's look at this matter constructively, the problem we have in this country is not about the age those girls get married but what are we imparted into thier life before and after getting married. Considering marriageable age in some country listed in which some are allowed from 13, even in USA. As yoruba would say "Ile laawo ka to somo loruko", this is a country where the government is not improving our education system, this is a country where the government is not alleviating the poverty level of people. Corruption is soaked in all sectors in the country. At least, if the education is made free and education sector is well funded and manage well, all these young girls will be well trained from primary to their secondary school age, as it's been done in some developed countries we see as role model, which could be a gain those kids could developed on, but alas, our senators would not fight upon that. All what they do is to satisfy themselves base on religion and cultural flimsy excuses. I wish they pass a bill for death penalty on corrupt embezzler worth of certain amount because such person has killed the dreams of many!

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by babseg(m): 3:20pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

1. Sir, that isn't my point - my point is that: people should be allowed freedom to their way-of-life. The Northerner Senators voted overwhelmingly for it and no Northerner has come out to speak out against it, so why're Southerners crying-me-a-river over what has absolutely nothing to do with them? At the end of the day, they aren't forcing anyone to practise, it's just there to enable those who believe in it do what they think is right for them.

2. Right or wrong is subjective and also based on outlook. Beating a child and child labour are wrong to most people. However, it's normal in Africa. So who am I to judge what a person thinks is right or wrong? Also, I definitely won't allow my under-aged sister and daughter to get married because it isn't part of my way-of-life and the consciousness instilled in me by my parents. But I definitely won't stop anyone else who believes in it, from doing it. How a person chooses to lead his/her life is non of my business.

3. There are also tons of adults (old bodies with young souls) who can't handle all these as well - should we also stop them from getting married?

Lastly, life is all about choices and if the people it affects directly are in support of it - why should we be ones fighting against it? When Northerners/Muslims start fighting against it - then I'll support their cause. Till then, we need to stop the distractions and focus on Nigeria, and all the unique problems in the country.

peado we know u now

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by coogar: 3:28pm On Jul 21, 2013
babseg:
peado we know u now

so he's a pedo because he doesn't share your view? come on, you can do better than that!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Adams Oshiomhole Emerges As BRACED Chairman / Dangote Refinery, Others Threaten Existing Plants – OPEC / Court Okays Statutory Delegates To Vote In APC National Convention, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.