Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,640 members, 7,809,400 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam (22966 Views)

Mark In Secret Meeting With IBB, Abdulsalami, Etsu Nupe, Others / Etsu Nupe Charms Pastor’s Daughter, She’s Under Certain Influences —CAN New Fdn / My Daughter Not The Only One Held Hostage At Etsu Nupes Palace- Pastor Uzoechina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Handsomeemmy(m): 6:11am On Jul 25, 2013

ABUJA—APART from his daughter, Miss Charity (Aisha) Uzoechina, Pastor Raymond Uzoechina has called on security agencies to investigate activities at the palace of the Etsu Nupe, Alhaji Yahaya Abubakar, to ensure that many people there had not been forced to convert to Islam and held against their will.

“Apart from my daughter, there are so many people at the palace. There is need for the police to investigate and ensure that the people are not suffering the fate of my daughter,” Pastor Uzoechina told Vanguard onphone, yesterday.

He spoke ahead of the August 1, 2013 expected ruling of the Bida Sharia Court 1 on whether or not 24-year-old Charity (Aisha) Uzoechina should be released to her parents.
Charity left their Abuja home to further her studies at the Federal Polytechnic, Bida, Niger State recently. According to reports, she has not returned home since March. She has allegedly been at the palace of the Etsu Nupe on her own volition after converting to Islam and changing her name to Aisha.

Pastor Uzoechina is claiming that his daughter was kidnapped and hypnotised and could never abandon the Christian faith for Islam. But the Etsu Nupe argued otherwise and produced legal documents where his daughtersaid she had converted to Islam and alleged that his father could kill her for the action hence the need to seek protection from the Palace and the Sharia Court, which the court granted.

Consequently, the Etsu Nupe refused to releasethe lady to Uzoechina, a pastor with the Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, citingthe sharia court ruling.
Asked how far the matter had gone, the pastorsaid: “They (sharia court) have fixed Thursday, August 1 for ruling on our appeal that they don’t have jurisdiction. You can’t judge a Christian in a Muslim court. I am appealing to them to vacate the judgment because they don’t have jurisdiction.”

How can I kill my daughter?
On allegations that he could kill his daughter over conversion from Christianity to Islam, he said: That is not true. My daughter cannot make that allegation. Why should I kill her? We asked them to bring her to the court so that my lawyer can cross-examine her but they refused.
“If she has converted to Islam, must she practice at the Etsu Nupe’s palace? Is Etsu Nupe the chief security officer now? They should not separate me from my daughter. She has stayed in the palace for six months. If they say I will harm her, let them release her to the Inspector General of Police, leader of the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN or ask me to write an undertaking. Why is my daughter still under Etsu Nupe’s enclave? I am only talking about my daughter; there are so many people at the palace. There is need for the police to investigate and ensure that other people are not suffering the fate of my daughter. They did not allow my wife to see my daughter when she visited the palace.”
Genesis of the matter
Pastor Uzoechina said the matter, which is now causing a big row among the Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor-led CAN, the Bida Emirate and the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, NSCIA, started on March 1 and 2 when he got acall from an aide of the emir, asking him to come to the palace.
At the palace in Bida, he said he met his daughter with two other women. “The man said these women brought my daughter to the palace that she has embraced Islam and she has also been withdrawn from school. Those women even claimed they have taken her through the rudiments of Islam and have started looking for a school for her. At this juncture, I demanded that I am going home with her. But the man declined, saying only theemir has the power to allow the girl go with me. They took me to the emir but the emir refused my plea, saying I should come back next week.”

On March 4, he said two people who claimed to be from the Bida Sharia Court emerged withhis daughter with a folded paper and asked him to sign but he refused. He tried to take his daughter but was told that she was now under the custody of the Sharia Court.
The Sharia Court 1 said it arrived at the decision because the girl claimed her father could kill her following her change of faith. It also said that the defendant (Pastor Uzoechina) shunned an invitation to appear before it to defend himself, adding: “At this juncture, this honourable court hereby orders that the custody of the plaintiff be entrusted inthe hand of Etsu Nupe for the time being and the Etsu Nupe should employ a qualified Islamic scholar who will be teaching her and showing her what the Islamic customs is all about.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/forced-conversion-to-islam-my-daughter-not-the-only-one-at-etsu-nupes-palace-uzoechina/
Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Nobody: 6:19am On Jul 25, 2013
What is so difficult for the esu of nupe to release a 24 yr old who they claim converted on her volition.

7 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Nobody: 6:34am On Jul 25, 2013
shocked
Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by true2god: 6:36am On Jul 25, 2013
I think the etsu nupe should be charged for kidnap and unlawful detention. Where on earth can this happen if not the northern part of Nigeria.

I cant imagine an obi of Onitsha detaining a fulani girl on the pretense that she has converted to christianity. She is free to convert to Islam but y detain her in ur house\palace so that y can apply yerima-style on her after hypnotizing her.

51 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Handsomeemmy(m): 6:57am On Jul 25, 2013
careytommy: What is so difficult for the esu of nupe to release a 24 yr old who they claim converted on her volition.

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Nobody: 7:04am On Jul 25, 2013
embarassed
Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by 4Play(m): 7:08am On Jul 25, 2013
She may have freely converted, we can't really tell. If it's a case of kidnapp, it's a criminal matter and the appropriate thing would be to report to the Police not engage in a custody battle for a 24 year old who presumably is of sound mind and body.
Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by frabel: 7:12am On Jul 25, 2013
the girl is of age and can change her religion if she like. but the issue of holding her hostage is a serious call for concern. the parents should use all the available means to free her from this BONDAGE.

7 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Tolexander: 7:39am On Jul 25, 2013
At the palace in Bida, he said he
met his daughter with two other
women. “The man said these
women brought my daughter to
the palace that she has embraced
Islam and she has also been
withdrawn from school. Those
women even claimed they have
taken her through the rudiments
of Islam and have started looking
for a school for her. At this
juncture, I demanded that I am
going home with her. But the
man declined, saying only
theemir has the power to allow
the girl go with me. They took
me to the emir but the emir
refused my plea, saying I should
come back next week.”
Uzoenyi! Your daughter is now one of the brides of Emir of Bida!

Why withdrawing her from school and start searching for another school for her just because she converted to islam.

11 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by AbdH: 7:40am On Jul 25, 2013
careytommy: What is so difficult for the esu of nupe to release a 24 yr old who they claim converted on her volition.

Isn't it obvious that the girl refuses to follow her dad home because she knows how intolerant her Christian dad is of people of other faith..whether they are family or not?
Christians say that Muslims don't want to be Christians because they will be killed by Muslims while I believe that Christians don't want to be Muslims because they will either be killed or turned to outcasts by Christians.
I still maintain that Muslims are more tolerant than Christians and I advise that the girl should not go with her dad unless she wants to die in regret.

26 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 25, 2013
If you followed this issue on radio, you'll know thatone time when they went to the palace, the father was refused audience with his daughter, they said they didn't see her, that she had gone out even when they had previously called to book the meeting. Also when they (the father and mum) went to NTA to hold an interview and say their side of the story, the story was edited and some vital parts were cut off... I smell a rat! Nobody said she shouldn't convert, but you have a root, don't cut yourself off from it.

12 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by BlackBaron: 8:21am On Jul 25, 2013
AbdH:
Isn't it obvious that the girl refuses to follow her dad home because she knows how intolerant her Christian dad is of people of other faith..whether they are family or not?
Christians say that Muslims don't want to be Christians because they will be killed by Muslims while I believe that Christians don't want to be Muslims because they will either be killed or turned to outcasts by Christians.
I still maintain that Muslims are more tolerant than Christians and I advise that the girl should not go with her dad unless she wants to die in regret.
A dad is asking for the return of his daughter and this is what you come up with?
I'll indulge this troll for a bit.
As far as I know there is no crime for apostasy in Christendom. You can somersault in and out if you so wish.

However, I'm sure if the daughter of an imam or sheik's conversion came to widespread notice. The daggers would be out with the obligatory death threats and maybe disownment from her family.
Besides its not rocket science, common knowledge by now what results google would show when asked about who is liable to be killed for conversion.

69 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Nobody: 8:31am On Jul 25, 2013
This is the sort of thing MASSOB should get involved in. But they won't because there is no levy to be collected from traders. Pathetic.

9 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by princesammmy: 8:33am On Jul 25, 2013
its not that easy. they use charms. its so common in the north but its mostly those ones with Long throat it catches. if u go to all d emirs houses in the north you will see christians they kidnap

11 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by dridowu: 8:37am On Jul 25, 2013
They should release the lady, but if she decided to stay in nupe, i wish her HML in advance if she later marry d emir
Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by brodalikeme(m): 8:58am On Jul 25, 2013
Is she a fine girl shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Allwility: 9:25am On Jul 25, 2013
This is simply outrageous. It's a pity the emir decided to stoop so low and bring his office to the mud. I can't imagine the Obas of Lagos and Benin or the Obi of Onithsha doing same. Why withdraw the girl from school? Why hold her hostage? If anyone decides to change his religion then so be it! For godsake this is a free country. Besides, if the emir needs a new bride he should go through the appropriate channel. Holding someone in your palace is nothing short of kidnap! I'm concerned about the claim of the girl's father that there are other girls in the emir's custody. Do we have to kick the police in their behind before they investigate this? MODs, same for you if don't put this on the fp.

15 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 25, 2013
I don't think Islam supports what Etsu Nupe is doing ..... !!!

The Girl has ''balaga'' (Matured) and She should be ''guarded'' towards dealing with her parents not ''Kidnapped'' and ''hidden'' away from her parent !!! !!!

Under Islamic Jurisdiction ,Her parents still have all rights towards her and she can only disagree with them(her parent), Honorably, on the issue of her religion ....... Even without making them angry or seeking their wrath !!!

Whatever They told her that made her dumped the Religion she was raised,educated and tutored from infancy till maturity despite her father being a
pastor must be enough to safeguard Her against the Incarceration of her parent !!

Apart from Islamic Jurisdiction, Nigerian Constitution allowed ''Aisha'' freedom of Religion as far as she is above Eighteen(18) which also protect the girl against her parent's possible re-conversion !!

Etsu Nupe and his agents actions are not Islamic and Muslim Clerics should rise to this ...... If the situation is as reported !!!

24 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by alphaconde(m): 9:48am On Jul 25, 2013
Some religion are forceful, why? Shebi hell is made for unbelivers, I think that settles it.
Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by chiefololade: 9:50am On Jul 25, 2013
true2god: I think the etsu nupe should be charged for kidnap and unlawful detention. Where on earth can this happen if not the northern part of Nigeria.

I cant imagine an obi of Onitsha detaining a fulani girl on the pretense that she has converted to christianity. She is free to convert to Islam but y detain her in ur house\palace so that y can apply yerima-style on her after hypnotizing her.

Islam sucks!
You are making a mistake.. Etsu Nupe sucks, Islam doesn't! Why should u judge religion of billion people by the act of just one person? In short u SUCK!!!

14 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by pistol: 9:51am On Jul 25, 2013
This is pure madness from the etsu nupe.
Infact he should be deposed.
What kind of backward reasoning is this na...
The man who should know better is even worse than an almajiri in thinking pattern.
Can you imagine?
Withdrawing the girl from school..
O Lord...
What nonsense...

3 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by kingarizona(m): 9:52am On Jul 25, 2013
Wtf!!!! This is sh*t!!!!
Is ISLAM a religion!!

LORD have mercy!!!

6 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by 1shortblackboy: 9:53am On Jul 25, 2013
opan Yerima style

3 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by dridowu: 9:55am On Jul 25, 2013
Y ? D man shd release d lady, if is d lady wish to stay with Nupe emir, dn i wish her HML in advance in case she later marry d emir
Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by nbright: 9:55am On Jul 25, 2013
Islam again?. This movement is a .........

1 Like

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 25, 2013
The op is being mischievious by editing out the Emirate council's response as stated below:

Responding to the allegations, the Bida Emirate reportedly accused Uzoechina of distorting facts and insisted that the Etsu Nupe should not be blamed for the girl’s voluntary decision.It said in a statement that Miss Uzoechina approached the monarch for protection over her change of faith from Christianity to Islam on February 15.“The royal father invited the father of the girl for talks, with the hope of reconciling them.

On March 2, the father came to the palace and was taken before His Royal Highness. It was at His Royal Highness chamber that the father came face to face with his daughter. After discussions with the girl and her father, the Etsu Nupe asked the girl to go back home with her father to resolve the matter as a family.“The girl refused to go home with her father fearing that the father may harm her going by the encounter at the Etsu Nupe’s palace.

The girl left the palace and approached a court in Bida for protection, a request which the court granted the girl. The girl has since been in the custody of the court in Bida. Her reason was that her father insulted her and she was scared that he may harm her because of his utterances during their short meeting.” -

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/forced-conversion-to-islam-my-daughter-not-the-only-one-at-etsu-nupes-palace-uzoechina/#sthash.wWBmiZ[b][/b]lz.dpuf

20 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by 234GT(m): 9:56am On Jul 25, 2013
Why always Islam?

5 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Arosa(m): 9:56am On Jul 25, 2013
I'm speechless. angry
Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Sunnycliff(m): 9:59am On Jul 25, 2013
He who sows to the wind shall reap the Whirlwind
Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by taiwo3(m): 9:59am On Jul 25, 2013
It is not obvious, the only thing obvious here is that she has been hypnotized.
AbdH:

9 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 25, 2013
But on a serious note, i never read anywhere in the story where the girl actually spoke for herself.
Its either Etsu Nupe this.......... Etsu Nupe that...... Emir this...... Emir that..... The women this..... The women That......... Bida high court this......Bida high court that.....
Ahn Ahn, the girl no dey talk? Abi is it by force ? This goes to show that something is fishy? I suspect someone who already has 10 wives, wants to add her to the list..... Yeye dey smell lipsrsealed

19 Likes

Re: Etsu Nupe Accused Of Forcefully Converting People To Islam by alphaconde(m): 10:00am On Jul 25, 2013
AbdH:

Will ur own dad kill u if u probably convert to another religion, if ur answer is NO, then u r a ghoat for typing the above, then if ur dad can actually kill u, then he is the only one who can do that in the world. Don't bliv the girl even converted in the 1st place.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Real Pictures : Re: Osun APC Presidential Rally / Udom's SA, Ini Edo Empowers Constituents / Akeredolu To Construct Cable Car At Idanre Hills, Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.