Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,788 members, 7,831,548 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? (33687 Views)

Before You Judge That Man By His Religion Or Tribe...read This. / What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? / Why Do Africans Hate Gay People So Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by JKendi(m): 12:24am On Jul 30, 2013
Eze nnaemeka: This is freaking suprising. Hope the prophecy isn't true.

Is it the prophecy of Precious Blood of Jesus Christ?
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Dibiachukwu: 12:38am On Jul 30, 2013
obailala:
Are u aware that Jesus Christ stopped people from stoning a woman in the bible?..

Are u also aware that Jesus had a tax collector (present day agboro) as a disciple and people criticized him just like the pope's statement is being criticized today?

I quote again, the bible teaches us to hate sin but not condemn the sinners. If u condemn sinners and ostracize them from society, are u not simply acting like the 'holier than thou' crowd that wanted to stone the woman?
First of all, that didn't answer my question. Where in the bible did God say, he hates the sin and not the sinner; or command us to hate the sin and not the sinner? Look you people should try to understand the bible before saying things.
Let us put it all into perspective. The scribes and the pharisees were hypocrites, who hated our saviour and wanted him dead. They were always tempting him. This is what our saviour has to say about the scribes and pharisees ( But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in)(mat23:13). These people were like our politicians now. They are respecter of persons. They don't apply the law when it comes to themselves and people of power; but they apply the law on poor people, whom they inflict with unrealistic burdens. Notice our saviour didn't deny the law of moses (if he did they will probably kill him their, if they could, because it was a trap anyway). But he dared them to stone the woman, if they themselves were innocent of breaking the same laws. And he said to the woman: Go and sin no more (mat8:11). Our saviour is an everlasting sacrifice for our sins (john 1:29), he came to help sinners to repent (Luke5:12), so they shall sin no more. Does that mean he condones sin. Paul says God forbid(Romans 3:31). So my dear homosexuality is still an abomination.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Dibiachukwu: 12:43am On Jul 30, 2013
ocelot2006: This whole thread is a clear indication why the national failure rate in WAEC, NECO, and JAMB is high due to lack of simple comprehension. The Pope's statement was pretty straightforward. (1) he refused to judge homosexuals, and (2) he was against their marginalisation. These are definitely not against the teachings of the bible. What he NEVER did/say was embrace the act.

But some morons, in their infinite stupidity masked as wisdom and total lack of comprehension somehow saw the Pope's straightforward statement as his tacit approval of homosexuality, an act heavily frowned upon by the same church he leads. Yet they wonder why they score less than 100 during their JAMB exams after long nights of "skabashing" during night vigils.

Seriously, I think Dawkins was right. These sorry bunch of people did evolve from an animal: THE GOAT.
What he said indicates a passive support for homosexuality! He didn't say don't fight gay people, he said: I really don't know if it is wrong. Really? And darwin is the last bigot scientist, you should be quoting; because he hates your guts.
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by slevin1(m): 12:44am On Jul 30, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Whatever my opinion on the Vatican and Christianity, pope got my respect.

Judging from his point of view and my perspective of belief, he's losing my respect.
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Infomaz(m): 12:52am On Jul 30, 2013
FOLYKAZE: Christianity is loosing it...........lol
Counterfeit Christianity you mean?
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Infomaz(m): 1:04am On Jul 30, 2013
Rooneyboy: A catholic till I kpeme !

All u anti catholic can yank ur heads on the nearest transformer for all I care .
How Christlike!
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by mamagee3(f): 1:06am On Jul 30, 2013
The Pope is right, he can't judge people that may be sinning because he's not God.

Why are people getting so angry? undecided

The Pope also said homosexuality is a sin so it wasn't like he is supporting gay people...

People need to get over themselves

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by josites(m): 2:41am On Jul 30, 2013
God may thy will be done on earth. I am totally against gay. But i cant curse an annointed man of God for the Bible said "those who bless you shall i bless, and those who cursed you shall i curse"
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by lovelydoll: 2:51am On Jul 30, 2013
yes he is right who are you to judge ,are you God or a non sinner yourself
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by nagoma(m): 3:51am On Jul 30, 2013
The gay lobby is very strong.They have penetrated the Vatican.....thru the back door I suppose tongue : grin grin grin
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Nobody: 4:10am On Jul 30, 2013
jonaktex: I DONT NEED SOMEONE TO TELL ME THAT YOU ARE GAY TRYING TO JUSTIFY YOURSELF

Well you just exposed how bad your comprehension skill is. I seriously hope you are still in school in which case you should take out some time and read materials on comprehension. I am sure you can find some in your school lib. On the other if not, it will do you good if you spend your lunch-break in the office doing that. I am sure it will do you good in the nearest future.
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by mathskill: 5:14am On Jul 30, 2013
ledafaze:

Christianity is not loosing it... Vatican HAS lost it.
As the saying goes when the head is rotten so does the body
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by SassyD(f): 5:22am On Jul 30, 2013
its a pity some Nigerians are so quick to show how ignorant they are.they cannot even understand a clearly stated english sentence.the pope simply said he is not God to judge gay people but what is not acceptable is people lobbying or trying to prove that to be gay is right.(that is gay activists).anti-catholics are those who will be the first to talk nonsense.ignorant people.una think na to go school be the koko.simple things they can't understand.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by mastro: 5:38am On Jul 30, 2013
Hmm, I see the bigot's heads are exploding, while not a Christian myself. I do believe that the pope has a mandated right as the head of the largest church in the world to speak his mind and provide direction to his member's.

SO homosexuality is a mortal sin according to the majority of the posters here, what about heterosexual adultery and fornication? Is that a mortal sin, seeing that the 10 commandments mention specifically those 2 sins but specifically doesn't mention homosexuality. What about stealing and telling lies, also mentioned specifically.

See this is the problem I have with Christians in this country, quick to judge (what happened to judge not that ye not be judged Matthew 7) when it is a sin that they do not partake in, but silent when it is one that they do.

As to all those people quoting Leviticus, when did you last make a burnt offering? and I hope you are not wearing a polyester cotton mix, I for one have never understood the plain hypocrisy of not observing Leviticus' prohibitions on a whole range of behaviors, from the ban on eating shellfish to the wearing of "fringes" on their garments. But quoting Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 as prohibitions against homosexual acts. Hence having their cake and eating it, if the new testament supersedes the "law of Moses" then it does so fully, and you don't get to pick and choose.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by nafiachi(m): 5:43am On Jul 30, 2013
It is clear that the lobbyist are gaining the upper hand on this gay issue, what I expect the pope should do is clearly explain the position of christianity on these irritating desires, we all are not in the position to judge anyone.
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Nobody: 5:55am On Jul 30, 2013
Eazee-e:

thats d good thing about christianity. They criticize even a pastor or a pope when they feel he is deviating from d gospel. How i wish religion of peace wil giv room 4 criticism & criticize their brodas bombing n killing in d name of allah
You spent more than a week criticizing and insulting The Religion of Peace over what one Muslim senator did. Did anything happen to you? The real Muslims (99.9%+) do not condone the evil acts perpetrated by a few misguided ones. The youths helping the State capture the BH terrorists in the North East are they not Muslims? I know you hate to hear the patriotic activities of the vibrant (Muslim) civilian JTF because it's contradict your notion of branding all Muslims as terrorists. This is not like the church you are trying to defend. Your Pope is here almost defending homosexuals. I'm not suprise at all since many of his fellow Priests are gay and have been screwing your small boys. The Vatican may soon endorse gay marriage. Like someone said Catholicism is a man-made religion. So they can always ‘adjust’ position under pressure by irreligious lobbyists.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by solomon111(m): 6:02am On Jul 30, 2013
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by solomon111(m): 6:02am On Jul 30, 2013
The pope was dilly-dallying,trying to be diplomatic.
A sharp contrast from the fire-brand Jesus christ who called the sinners in those days "a generation of vipers" without any apology.
He was not even bold enough to be emphatic about the stand of christianity on this issue.
Na wa for this kind christianity o.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Nobody: 7:08am On Jul 30, 2013
khattab02: Of course u know that .YES.bcoz there is no where in the Qur'an or the Authentic Ahadith that says u should bomb churches and kill people innocentling.
Isn't it suppose to be a Jihadi....so u're insinuating that even the Jihad is unjust.
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 30, 2013
solomon111: The pope was dilly-dallying,trying to be diplomatic.
A sharp contrast from the fire-brand Jesus christ who called the sinners in those days "a generation of vipers" without any apology.
He was not even bold enough to be emphatic about the stand of christianity on this issue.
Na wa for this kind christianity o.
Diplomatic enough to to present an apparent view of the church's stand towards the act of Gay: In as much as we oppose and give zero tolerance to the act...we should also be aware that God loves them and shouldn't judge especially when they come to seek the face of the Lord.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Nabfresh(m): 7:22am On Jul 30, 2013
mascot87: I am very sure most nairalanders would misinterpret what the pope is trying to insinuate cos of lack of wisdom understanding his simple statement.Already I am seeing some bigoted illiterates making statements that makes me wonder why some ignoramus bigocony continue to reason with there nose rather than calming down, digest and think deeply on what the Pope is trying to say using there brains. angry
Most people would make silly statements just because they don't believe in the ideology of the Catholic church.Most people are hardcore Religiolistic and tribalistic in nature.
guy u b lecturer?
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by koladebrainiac(m): 7:36am On Jul 30, 2013
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23489702

Pope Francis has said gay people should not be marginalised but integrated into society.
Speaking to reporters on a flightback from Brazil, he reaffirmed the Roman Catholic Church's position that homosexual acts were sinful, but homosexual orientation was not.
He was responding to questionsabout whether there was a "gaylobby" in the Vatican.
"If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am Ito judge them?"
He also said he wanted a greaterrole for women in the Church, but insisted they could not be priests.
The Pope arrived back in Rome on Monday after a week-long tour of Brazil - his first trip abroad as pontiff - which climaxed with a huge gathering on Rio de Janeiro's Copacabana beach for a world Catholic youthfestival.
Festival organisers estimated it attracted more than three million people.
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by koladebrainiac(m): 7:54am On Jul 30, 2013
Good one Pope. You indeed christ Vicar on earth. This would be exact reply Jesus Christ would give if he is ask question on gay. Jesus christ never stone or ask people to stone that prostitue. The same way you didnt cast away the gays who wish to seek for orientation, indeed, the Lord is Good and His mercy endureth forever!!

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by papajoka: 8:19am On Jul 30, 2013
Even common sense explain this all. There is a wide difference between a sin and the sinner. THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS ALWAYS AGAINST THE SIN ITSELF NOT THE SINNER.who are we to judge the sinner whom christ have called to repentance. Gay act just like all other immorallity is a sin but the gay person is nt judged or condemed rather he is called to repentance
THE CHURCH CONDEMS THE ACT NOT THE SINNER

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by ritchieamaka: 8:37am On Jul 30, 2013
My simple response 2 d 'pope's' comment z www.thewarningsecondingcoming.com. Every Nairalander shld visit ds website n u'll decide 4 urself wether he's a pope in d 1st place. Also read d prophecy of Pedro Raegis of Brazil. D 3rd secret of Fatima revealed wot z happenin now tho d church didn't release all d secret. He's a false prophet n watch out 4 d antichrist his collaborator soon. He'll come 2 make peace in d middle east as has been fortold by Maria Divine Mercy n he'll be a man of d pple. He'll win pple's hat b4 he'll unleash mayhem. Watch it n be wise.
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by MitchDLeo(m): 8:37am On Jul 30, 2013
Dibiachukwu:
Islam and christainity and judaism and buddism and hinduism are all of the devil! Paganism and plagiarism is their forte.
You are Right. But how do we intend to defeat the devil if we keep fighting among ourselves. Is'nt that exactly what the Devil wants (Just like Killing two birds with one stone).
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by dyabman(m): 8:41am On Jul 30, 2013
This simply implies there are gays working for pope francies or can he be gay too lipsrsealed
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by papajoka: 8:51am On Jul 30, 2013
Indifferent: I'm a catholic but someone should tell pope to shut up.
I go soon carry vex join mountain of high tension. Oku!
if u re a catholic u should knw wat the cathechism says about a SIN and the *SINNER*
it is either u re againt the universal church or u re for it. If u call ur self a catholic u should stand up for what u belive nt join the anti catholics
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by olashas(f): 8:51am On Jul 30, 2013
P.Stacks:
Guush mehn!
I saw this thing on BBC and I was disappointed.

Different Popes different stance in one Religion..

All ya religious people how you all doing..

I expect to watch fight and argument on nairaland bai.. Oya gbagan.. Round one.. Fight..

Muslims, you can come and laff and amuse yourselves at xtains fighting against each other, that is not to say when Muslins too would be fighting themselves xtains won't laff ooo and that is not to say Xtains and muslims won't still have a Seperate fight later ooo,

But atleast its been bashing of Muslims since Senator Yerima's Childs-bride issues, nao let the Pope cause his own fracas for Bashing of xtains..

Religion is truly The Opium of the people..

We can Abolish Religion..
Yes we can..

YES WE CAN!!
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by mko2005: 8:55am On Jul 30, 2013
peppy luv: angryALL YOU CATHOLIC HATERS WILL DIE AN UNTIMELY DEATH!
OP U WILL SUFFER UNLESS U ASK GOD FOR FORGIVENESS CUZ U LIED AND TWISTED THE STATEMENT BY HIS HOLINESS!!
HE SAID "WHO AM I TO JUDGE A REPENTANT HOMOSEXUAL" Note D word "REPENTANT"
Just heard this now in the news.
Witches and wizards(protestants and Islam) ur hate will never stop us and we can never be one like u devils,molesters and murderers!! angry
Why will any one judge a repentant homosexual ? Even an unrepentant person can not judge a repentant person !
The pope wasn't talking about a repentant homosexual but a homosexual who engages in good will is seen as been right with God according to the statement of the pope ! The Roman church sees good will/deeds as what takes one to heaven,that is to say that i can go against God but so long as i do good to man kind then
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by papajoka: 9:01am On Jul 30, 2013
ritchieamaka: My simple response 2 d 'pope's' comment z www.thewarningsecondingcoming.com. Every Nairalander shld visit ds website n u'll decide 4 urself wether he's a pope in d 1st place. Also read d prophecy of Pedro Raegis of Brazil. D 3rd secret of Fatima revealed wot z happenin now tho d church didn't release all d secret. He's a false prophet n watch out 4 d antichrist his collaborator soon. He'll come 2 make peace in d middle east as has been fortold by Maria Divine Mercy n he'll be a man of d pple. He'll win pple's hat b4 he'll unleash mayhem. Watch it n be wise.
U re too engrossed with conspiracy theory that u fail to recognise the truth when u see one.
*If no one of u is without sin let him be the first to cast a stone*
if u can differenciate btw a SIN and a SINNER
then u will understand how nt to judge the pope or even a gay person
u will knw more when u consult the Cathechism of the catholic church

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Masquerade Pictured Holding A Bible And Crucifix / Photos Of Pastor Igwe Ogbonnaya's SUV / What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.