Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,346 members, 7,829,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? (18238 Views)

APC BoT Chair: Tinubu, Atiku Renew Rivalries / FG Cancels Pipeline Protection Contracts’ Award To Ethnic Militias / MEND Resumes Hostilities And Attacks Shell/Chevron Pipeline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Aug 05, 2013
ujchief:

Once again, you've made a very silly suggestion. You've accused me of trying to be in the Mods and supermods good books and I overlooked it b'cos it was a silly comment that doesn't need a reply. But I won't look the other way when you turn around to blame the Mods for the unhealthy environment we've turned this section to.

After being corrected that the mods don't take threads to frontpage but supermods do, yet you blame them. After being informed that ban logs of Mods are available for other Mods to access and redress when necessary, you still insist on blaming them. They started this thread to seek solution to the mess we all created, but you turned it to a witch-hunt; insulting them and asking for their resignation.

I wonder why you guys are trying so hard to turn this truce trade that the Mods created into an impeachment call. The Mods didn't start the tribal hate, neither did they fan it. So shove your silly request aside and let's seek for ways to fight this monster.

Gerrit?

For Pete sake ...stop stalking me! I've told you am not amused with this your attempt at holding brief for the mods....did they tell you they can't hold their own?

Wetin be your own?

Gboromi deleru!

If others can't see beyond your veil ...me do! Why is this your particular handle more active on this thread and the complaint thread. Apparently while you use this handle to preach "peace" ...and lobby for moderatorship subtly ...you have other handles that you use in preaching hate on the other threads...

5 Likes

Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by OneNaira6: 10:18pm On Aug 05, 2013
anago12:

the word perfectly describe you, your cries to the mods on the adekunle thread comes to mind. Yorubas returned igbos properties after the civil war what your ika progenitors did then with igbos properties is a public knowledge.

If you are not a chronic liar bringforth any complains against oam4j and i will give you loads of thread on afam and sexkills bias. Wanna thank you and your new igbo friends for waking our consciousness to your real agenda.

People do not whin and cry like yoruba does whenever the mods hold them accountable for breaking the rules. Heck Igbos feels like seun and mukina are trying to paint our people bad on this forum but you don't see us whining about it. Multiple of us, myself included, have felt OAm47 done us wrong. unlike yoruba, most of us let it go and do our time but if na una, A whole thread dedicated to the said mod would open. An alternative ID insulting the said mod would once more open. Stop f2king whining. Actually forget that, continue whining. it's funny.
Tell that whole yoruba returned igbo property moonlight story to someone whose own family have not received their property that your people leeched off after the civil war.

As for your ika BS, provide the so called public knowledge. I mean a real proof, not some story agbotean on NL is telling us. Mind you, I'm f2king anioma. Grew up in Asaba, which caters most anioma community.

1 Like

Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by goldfish80(m): 11:05pm On Aug 05, 2013
Its embarrasing to see the yorubas trying to blackmail the mods into doing their bidding on this thread.Could it be the Yorubas are pinning to have the monopoly of tribal insults? Just like My Ghanaian friend Frimpong would say....LoLZ
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Asoozy: 11:08pm On Aug 05, 2013
ALAKE_OF_EGBA:

For Pete sake ...stop stalking me! I've told you am not amused with this your attempt at holding brief for the mods....did they tell you they can't hold their own?

Wetin be your own?

Gboromi deleru!

If others can't see beyond your veil ...me do! Why is this your particular handle more active on this thread and the complaint thread. Apparently while you use this handle to preach "peace" ...and lobby for moderatorship subtly ...you have other handles that you use in preaching hate on the other threads...

Clever dude.

You know what the time is.

2 Likes

Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Asoozy: 11:09pm On Aug 05, 2013
One_Naira:

People do not whin and cry like yoruba does whenever the mods hold them accountable for breaking the rules. Heck Igbos feels like seun and mukina are trying to paint our people bad on this forum but you don't see us whining about it. Multiple of us, myself included, have felt OAm47 done us wrong. unlike yoruba, most of us let it go and do our time but if na una, A whole thread dedicated to the said mod would open. An alternative ID insulting the said mod would once more open. Stop f2king whining. Actually forget that, continue whining. it's funny.
Tell that whole yoruba returned igbo property moonlight story to someone whose own family have not received their property that your people leeched off after the civil war.

As for your ika BS, provide the so called public knowledge. I mean a real proof, not some story agbotean on NL is telling us. Mind you, I'm f2king anioma. Grew up in Asaba, which caters most anioma community.

Stop this Yoruba ibo bullshite!

It is stale!

2 Likes

Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Asoozy: 11:11pm On Aug 05, 2013
goldfish80: Its embarrasing to see the yorubas trying to blackmail the mods into doing their bidding on this thread.Could it be the Yorubas are pinning to have the monopoly of tribal insults? Just like My Ghanaian friend Frimpong would say....LoLZ

Then stay perpetually embarrassed and get your. Bigoted soul outta here!

Stop fanning the ash to ignite new flames!

Your likes are no longer welcomed!

2 Likes

Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by softwareman(m): 11:21pm On Aug 05, 2013
payless:

Sexkillz is here watching and ready to strike at any moments. I am sorry to say she is bigot too. She is biased but not as biased as that Afam of a moderator. She does hide her bigotry but get exposed some of the time while doing it. I have seen on several ocassions when Igbos are throwing insults around while Afam is on the thread watching and reading without doing anything. The moment Yorubas start to respond in kind is when Afam normally begin to delete posts. It happenes on daily basis and I see this as sending wrong signal.

I have seen situations when Afam deleted some heinous insults by Igbos but attracts no ban.

It's time to find an Hausa man or better still the Igbo moniker with the name Gen. Buhari to start moderating politics section. I know Gen. Buhari is not a bigoted Igbo man.
AFAM IS LIKE A REFREE THAT IS ALSO A PLAYER ON THE OPPOSING SIDE. THE MORE PEOPLE FROM THE OTHER TEAM YOU CAN SEND OFF THE BETTER. HIS PEOPLE PROVOKES, WHEN YOU RESPOND HE BANS. AM JUSTING RETURNING FROM HIS BAN AS WELL. BIASED UMPIRE!!

3 Likes

Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by goldfish80(m): 11:36pm On Aug 05, 2013
Asoozy:

If you don't like My opinion that's your perogative, but it doesn't give you the right to attack My personality. What makes you think am more bigoted than you are? If you dare attack My personality again, I might return the courtesy in a way you won't like.
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Italiano1: 11:45pm On Aug 05, 2013
Asoozy:

Stop this Yoruba ibo bullshite!

It is stale!

Exactly!!!!

We fight like dogs but we eat together. I have Igbo friends and i see them as decent people. I think Nl sometimes brings out the beast in some people.

But NL is the only forum I know where there is no structure tho. As much as you want to curtail tribalism, doing it in a militaristic way will lead to problems, Do you have a warning system here? Basically warning posters before imposing inordinate bans will send the message better i think. Just my 2 kobo
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Asoozy: 12:01am On Aug 06, 2013
Italiano1:

Exactly!!!!

We fight like dogs but we eat together. I have Igbo friends and i see them as decent people. I think Nl sometimes brings out the beast in some people.

But NL is the only forum I know where there is no structure tho. As much as you want to curtail tribalism, doing it in a militaristic way will lead to problems, Do you have a warning system here? Basically warning posters before imposing inordinate bans will send the message better i think. Just my 2 kobo

I agree with your idea.

Jarus did it and it worked. These mods are just over zealous .

1 Like

Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Asoozy: 12:07am On Aug 06, 2013
goldfish80:
If you don't like My opinion that's your perogative, but it doesn't give you the right to attack My personality. What makes you think am more bigoted than you are? If you dare attack My personality again, I might return the courtesy in a way you won't like.

Trust me, you're an old dog with no new tricks.

Carry your bad business waka!

Hit the road jack, and don't you come back no more...

1 Like

Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by goldfish80(m): 12:44am On Aug 06, 2013
Asoozy:

Leave me alone dawg, are u keeping a vigil here just because of me? Take your sleeping pills and go to bed. Just leave me alone.
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Ishilove: 11:46am On Aug 06, 2013
Asoozy:

Esigbo nnmadu undecided
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Ishilove: 11:47am On Aug 06, 2013
Asoozy:

Enfant terrible
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 06, 2013
Funny thread.

Funny how Nairaland changes your perspective on things. Certainly has since I joined in 2005.

But funny how things never change.
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Ezigbo2010: 7:08pm On Aug 06, 2013
I know this post might be long, but I have been itching to give my two cents on this matter called "tribalism".

Since my time on Nairaland, I've been able, more or less, to put people of the politics section in three groups: the Nigerians, the moderates and the "tribalists" (I'm putting this term in quotation marks because I believe it's incorrect. I'll tell you why a little later.) The lattermost often make posts so vicious that you wonder what would happen if one of them gained political power (ethnic cleansing?). The formermost group, which often fashions itself as the more enlightened or "advanced" of the two, always insists that "tribalism" should be nonexistent, all "tribes" should get along and just subscribe to being Nigerians. I believe both of these views are wrong.

The view of the "tribalists" is wrong because it seems to deny the universality of human beings. The "tribalist" fails to understand that, as much (s)he is a citizen of a particular "tribe", he is also a citizen of the world. He fails to see that his "tribe" relies on other "tribes" to be the "tribe" that it is. He fails to consider the possibility that respect for his culture could grow through learning about the cultures of others. He also fails to consider that people in his tribe are individuals and that, although they come from the same tribe, they have minds and opinions of their own. Thus, it's okay if and natural for "tribes" to disagree on things (especially on the issue of Nigeria). It's truly the paradox in human affairs: communities really do act as one and yet their parts act separately at the same time. I feel that many of the "tribalist" posters do not really understand what they really promote sometimes.

On the other hand, the view of the "Nigerians" is also wrong. Let us not forget that Nigeria is a British creation, not an African one. Nigeria was created for their efficiency, not for that of the people who lived there (could this be the reason for the many problems that plague African countries today?). There were people who had their own cultures and histories, that were told that they had to be one nation, almost at the snap of a finger. Those who dismiss the sentiments as mere "tribalism" are not being realistic. In fact, I think that the term "tribalism" simply belittles the sometimes ugly, sometimes admirable feeling that I feel is more akin to nationalism. Who doesn't admire the ability of the Poles to maintain the culture and resist Russianization and Germanization despite not having a country to call their own for over a century? And I'm sure that some of you read the Bible: do you not know that many Jews struggled to maintain their culture (and somewhat succeeded) despite being in exile? You know that the French and the British get along well now, but do you know what kind of animosity and mayhem would ensue if they were suddenly forced to be in one country? If the Nigerians understand what I'm saying here, then they somewhat condone what they are condemning.

If we look to history, we know that such ethnic tensions, as we see on this forum, are nothing new. They've existed for a very long time. Think of the Austrian Empire. Even after many years of Austrian control, the Hungarians, the Czechs and the Slavs still maintained their identities and sought their independence. Even after years of being controlled by the English, the Irish maintained their culture and identity. And let us not even begin to mention Scotland, which, after many years of English control, is contemplating independence.

My point is that, while ethnic extremists may be causing the problem, Nigerian nationalists are exacerbating it if they choose to dismiss the realities of ethnic differences in Nigeria. The only solution, I think, is a honest, moderate mind towards the whole thing: Nigeria is many countries and one country at the same time, at least for now.
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 06, 2013
^^^^ And your point being?
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Ezigbo2010: 7:53pm On Aug 06, 2013
django1: ^^^^ And your point being?

Do you mean to say that I typed all that for nothing and that you didn't get anything from what I said? sad Is my point not clear throughout, especially in the last paragraph?
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 06, 2013
No, I think its best you summarize it. angry
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Ezigbo2010: 8:47pm On Aug 06, 2013
django1: No, I think its best you summarize it. angry

The root of the so-called "tribalism" is a desire to protect one's culture and history. It can be admirable in itself, but it can turn ugly as seen in this forum. It is a fact of nature and of history. It [i]never [/i]goes away. I feel that the "way out" of the ugly affects is to make an attempt to safeguard and truly understand/appreciate the cultures of all tribes, even the ones that are not your own (this actually can help one appreciate one's own better). But while doing this can promote peace, it can undermine Nigeria's fragile unity also. As long as the ethnic distinctions remain, especially in specific geographic locations, Nigeria will have a fairly different time being completely one entity. This is the strange paradox that I've observed.
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Italiano1: 9:12pm On Aug 06, 2013
Ezigbo2010:

Do you mean to say that I typed all that for nothing and that you didn't get anything from what I said? sad Is my point not clear throughout, especially in the last paragraph?

If you want me to be honest, it was a failed attempt at writing a thoughtful intellectual post.

Your key classifications- Nigerians, Moderates and Tribalists is just simply laughable.

Number 1 pitfall of your argument is the failure to explain or even define the folks you refer to as "moderates". Who are these people? You failed to mention or enunciate the reason for this particular categorization.

Secondly, I find your description of "Tribalists" very simplistic and somewhat myopic- while I understand your point about interdependencies between different ethnic groups but you grossly overstate the notion of a "global citizen", That term will make more sense in a developed country but will mean very little to the man on the street in Awka, Lagos or Kaduna. Most wake up to severe challenges in their societies on a daily basis and have very little concern about being a good citizen of world- what does that really mean?. You fail to mention the fact that tolerance is a two way street that is fundamentally dependant on mutual respect i.e. some tribes will have cultures that are incompatible with other tribes hence why there are tensions between different ethnic groups.

While you are correct about the British influence on the creation of the Nigerian state which they did for administrative ease and probably for other ulterior motives; are you suggesting that the Hausas, Igbos and Yorubas will be living separately in peace today without the British Intervention? Far from it, it will be a far more volatile region. You come up with terms such as Germanisation and Russianisation to explain a phenomena and historical event that bears very little similarity to the Nigerian story.

You are correct about the Nations insisting on maintaining their identity- that is a no brainer but as you should be well aware, in countries such as the USA, we have Americans of Irish, Italian, English, German, Dutch, French, Polish, Russian and dare I say Nigerian heritage who co-habit peacefully and owe allegiance to the American flag first and foremost. Your reference to the Scottish clamour for independence is very irrelevant because it is a basic politic tool by a party (SNP) who found themselves in power due to the Scottish peoples clamour and desire for further devolution of power. Current opinion polls indicate that the referendum will be a Yes to stay in the UK.

I did not intend to critique your post, I am just replying to you when you said that your point was clear. No it is not. There is more to tribalism in Nigeria than you described. Far more and NL is a good barometer for us to understand that.
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:29pm On Aug 06, 2013
If Oma4j knows dat he wants to join us in the politics section, maybe he has something to say or some contribution to make, just hang up the moderator status to a moderator unbias and join the free for all... Stop all this tribal motivated banning. cheesy cheesy
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Nebeuwa(m): 10:50pm On Aug 06, 2013
Igbos and Yoruba should just simply marry each other.

My brothers just look at Peter Okoye!
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Ikenna351(m): 11:32pm On Aug 06, 2013
PointB: Hmm, where do one start addressing this topic?

Should I start by saying 'Kabiyesi o' to Ji-su-pac(r) aka Rhino.dm the self acclaimed leader of yoruba on NL?

Or perhaps I should check out what 'yorubas are' on google as been suggested by many posters?

Perhaps I should start by parting big brother yoruba for dragging Igbos back into Nigeria from Biafra - so that they can be grateful to them forever!

Maybe I should commend OAM4J for bringing up this overflogged issue over tribalism, nay, bigotry, to the fore for another season of short-lived sanity?

Maybe I should commend indignant posters here who as so 'sophiscated' that they dont know if their problem is caused by Seun, Afam, Sexkilz, OAM4J, sincere9gerian or Eze Ndi Igbo - anyone but themselves?

Perhaps I should... Perhaps I should just sit down with pop-corn and enjoy the whinning. It's just so funny to see adult spew venom for imaginary cause.

Perhaps I should just keep quite knowing fully well that bigotry does not pay for my internet connection.

I wish OAM4J all the best in his efforts and bid him to read the Chronicles of Ikenna Chapter 1 - 35

Ha! Which one be chronicles of Ikenna Chapter 1-35? Any link abeg?

Ikenna.
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Ezigbo2010: 11:36pm On Aug 06, 2013
Italiano1:

If you want me to be honest, it was a failed attempt at writing a thoughtful intellectual post.

Your key classifications- Nigerians, Moderates and Tribalists is just simply laughable.

Number 1 pitfall of your argument is the failure to explain or even define the folks you refer to as "moderates". Who are these people? You failed to mention or enunciate the reason for this particular categorization.

Secondly, I find your description of "Tribalists" very simplistic and somewhat myopic- while I understand your point about interdependencies between different ethnic groups but you grossly overstate the notion of a "global citizen", That term will make more sense in a developed country but will mean very little to the man on the street in Awka, Lagos or Kaduna. Most wake up to severe challenges in their societies on a daily basis and have very little concern about being a good citizen of world- what does that really mean?. You fail to mention the fact that tolerance is a two way street that is fundamentally dependant on mutual respect i.e. some tribes will have cultures that are incompatible with other tribes hence why there are tensions between different ethnic groups.

While you are correct about the British influence on the creation of the Nigerian state which they did for administrative ease and probably for other ulterior motives; are you suggesting that the Hausas, Igbos and Yorubas will be living separately in peace today without the British Intervention? Far from it, it will be a far more volatile region. You come up with terms such as Germanisation and Russianisation to explain a phenomena and historical event that bears very little similarity to the Nigerian story.

You are correct about the Nations insisting on maintaining their identity- that is a no brainer but as you should be well aware, in countries such as the USA, we have Americans of Irish, Italian, English, German, Dutch, French, Polish, Russian and dare I say Nigerian heritage who co-habit peacefully and owe allegiance to the American flag first and foremost. Your reference to the Scottish clamour for independence is very irrelevant because it is a basic politic tool by a party (SNP) who found themselves in power due to the Scottish peoples clamour and desire for further devolution of power. Current opinion polls indicate that the referendum will be a Yes to stay in the UK.

I did not intend to critique your post, I am just replying to you when you said that your point was clear. No it is not. There is more to tribalism in Nigeria than you described. Far more and NL is a good barometer for us to understand that.

You send that you didn't intend to critique my post, but what else where you intending to do? Either way, I have found the critique useful.

But there are four things I think I should say. First, of course my classification was laughable and imperfect (any classification is). I acknowledged the imperfection myself by adding the qualifier "more or less". But if I didn't classify at all, you would probably have a less idea of what I was talking about then you already do.

Second, my post is directed towards "tribalism" and "tribalists" here (Looking at my post, I think that at least this part was clear). I am sure they know what a "citizen of the world" is. To some degree, some people here are arguing for such a thing, in so far as they see beyond tribal differences.

Third, I was conscious of the US while I was writing, but I rejected referencing it because it's a different case entirely. Yes, people of different cultures do coexist peacefully in the US, but that's partly because they (especially those who were born there) identify as American - something that often involves a loss of cultural identity (something that many Nigerians would loudly protest). The thing is that many people in Nigeria do not see themselves as Nigerians. If they did, tribalism would be a moot point.

Finally, my reference to Russianization and Germanization was very relevant (otherwise I wouldn't have included it). The reason it was resisted was due to a certain kind of "tribalism" if you will. But its a two sided coin. The tribalism we admire there is the same thing that many of us hate here. Or do you think that Polish, Germans and Russians would have been any different that the Yoruba and Igbo now had they had forums like this then?

I hope I don't seem condescending or pseudo-intellectual. That is certainly not the intent of my post. If so, I'm sorry.
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Nobody: 1:49am On Aug 07, 2013
I will never change ! Tragic reality
cry
Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Vansnickers: 7:32am On Aug 07, 2013
Very Funny Thread!! look at all the Tribalists pretending to be Saints. One even suggested banning IPs, LOL.

Hypocritical Bigots.

1 Like

Re: Can We Put An End To Ethnic Rivalries And Hostilities? by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 07, 2013
Van snickers: Very Funny Thread!! look at all the Tribalists pretending to be Saints. One even suggested banning IPs, LOL.

Hypocritical Bigots.

I've been finding everything very funny indeed. They changed handles just to be thought to be saints ...

I dey laff seriously grin grin

Awon emergency saints.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Gun Men Blow Up AGIP Pipe-line In Rivers / Wike Orders Demolition Of Shanties / 2023: Abaribe Mocked For Endorsing Atiku's Presidential Aspiration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.