Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,010 members, 7,810,800 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! (21731 Views)

You'll Never Know True Fear Until You Experience Sleep Paralysis. / Sleeping Paralysis: Share Your Experience / Sleep Paralysis: Yoruba Calls It 'orinrin'. It Is Not A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 13, 2013
Dont worry about it, it'll b okay wen u marry.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by donem: 6:40pm On Aug 13, 2013

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by chiketee(m): 6:44pm On Aug 13, 2013
It's also a slight form of seizure. It's really nothing to worry about unless it occurs frequently, then I suggest you get an EEG done.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 13, 2013
booqee: [b]it started happening to me since last year. Ok i'm sleeping, and like a normal person i'm ready to wake up, u know it comes from within whether wilfully or not, then snap! ur body soul and spirit is awake. Right?? But the case is different with me. Though it only occurs once in a while, i can count the times i've had the experience, the latest been yesterday. Ok this is how it actually feels, i'm ready to wake up, but i feel something holding me down, inwardly i'm awake, i can hear every sound around me perfectly, but i'm unable to wake up, my eyes wouldn't open, my body would refuse to move, it'll just feel like its heavy. To someone looking at me, i may be fast asleep, but i'm actually awake, unable to stand up, move any part of my body or even open my eyes, but i'm actually conscious of my surrounding.

The first time i had it, i think i just fell asleep again after the feeling, the second and third time too was the same. The fourth time or so, i had it, i struggled within myself so hard to fight this stuff, and i was successful.

I really did struggle within me, psychologically, and i felt it when i woke up, i felt sort of drained. I didn't like the feeling.

The last time i had it i just stayed like dat, until i eventually opened my eyes after several minutes. That doesn't feel cool either.

Ok i guess i'm starting to sound like a weirdo but trust me its d plain fact.

Pls advice, what dyu think is wrong with me and wat can i do to stop it.

I really do hate this experience.

Thanks.
[/b]
You do not need to panic dear....what's happening to you is caused by waking up in what is medically known as the NREM phase of sleep
Normally we all shd wake up @ d REM phase of sleep,bt atimes we wake up during d NREM phase...meaning it happens 2 all pple @ a point in our lives
M jst concern abt d freq u complained abt,dats way too frequent
If u experience oda symptoms lyk cataplexy and hypersomnolence with some auditory hallucinations den u shd consult ur psychiatrist
You may need some form of amphetamine
SHIKENA
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Yorubest: 6:50pm On Aug 13, 2013
[b]
Hey, Bukky, sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking. Sleep paralysis may accompany other sleep disorders such as narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is an overpowering need to sleep caused by a problem with the brain's ability to regulate sleep.

Sleep paralysis usually occurs at one of two times. If it occurs while you are falling asleep, it's called hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis. If it happens as you are waking up, it's called hypnopompic or postdormital sleep paralysis.

As you fall asleep, your body slowly relaxes. Usually you become less aware, so you do not notice the change. However, if you remain or become aware while falling asleep, you may notice that you cannot move or speak.

During sleep, your body alternates between REM (rapid eye movement) and NREM (non-rapid eye movement) sleep. One cycle of REM and NREM sleep lasts about 90 minutes. NREM sleep occurs first and takes up to 75% of your overall sleep time. During NREM sleep, your body relaxes and restores itself. At the end of NREM, your sleep shifts to REM. Your eyes move quickly and dreams occur, but the rest of your body remains very relaxed. Your muscles are "turned off" during REM sleep. If you become aware before the REM cycle has finished, you may notice that you cannot move or speak.

Up to as many as four out of every 10 people may have sleep paralysis. This common condition is often first noticed in the teen years. But men and women of any age can have it. Sleep paralysis may run in families. Other factors that may be linked to sleep paralysis include:

Lack of sleep
Sleep schedule that changes
Mental conditions such as stress or bipolar disorder
Sleeping on the back
Other sleep problems such as narcolepsy or nighttime leg cramps
Use of certain medications
Substance abuse

If you find yourself unable to move or speak for a few seconds or minutes when falling asleep or waking up, then it is likely you have isolated recurrent sleep paralysis. Often there is no need to treat this condition. However, check with your doctor if you have any of these concerns:

You feel anxious about your symptoms
Your symptoms leave you very tired during the day
Your symptoms keep you up during the night

Most people need no treatment for sleep paralysis. Treating any underlying conditions such as narcolepsy may help if you are anxious or unable to sleep well. These treatments may include the following:

Improving sleep habits -- such as making sure you get six to eight hours of sleep each night
Using antidepressant medication if it is prescribed to help regulate sleep cycles
Treating any mental health problems that may contribute to sleep paralysis
Treating any other sleep disorders, such as narcolepsy or leg cramps

There's no need to fear nighttime demons or alien abductors. If you have occasional sleep paralysis, you can take steps at home to control this disorder. Start by making sure you get enough sleep. Do what you can to relieve stress in your life -- especially just before bedtime. Try new sleeping positions if you sleep on your back. And be sure to see your doctor if sleep paralysis routinely prevents you from getting a good night's sleep. [/b]

6 Likes

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Tintinnoty(m): 6:50pm On Aug 13, 2013
Virus777: Some people believe it's a paranormal activity, the effect of an evil force (witch, evil spirit) pressing down on you. Some have died while struggling against the force. Medical science calls it sleep paralysis. It happens mostly when you sleep facing up. If it persists, learn to sleep on your sides or on your belly.

yes it does happen to me as well. I have witnessed it once or twice this years. I notice that I do witness it only when I sleep face up
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Naledi14(f): 6:51pm On Aug 13, 2013
I am so happy to have come across this thread as it has happend to me before although not as often as some of you but several times a year. Hasn't happend this year though although I have noticed I sleep more often on my side now which has helped me a lot. Wow very informative.thanks op.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Khaytunechi: 6:52pm On Aug 13, 2013
..trust me.. i know dat feelin.. and itz real scary.. jez keep calm weneva it happens, keep ur brain active, dont fight it cos u'l wake up stressd.. jez b lyk 'da.ng! dis shy.te'z happenin again, i'm qonna wake, itz jst a matter of time'... AGAIN, dont fight it, dat makes it more scary and more likely to happen aqain cos u'l b feelin lyk itz a battle..buh wen u wake up relaxd, itz pure victory.. i pray it wont happen to either of us no more
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by slinkman(m): 6:52pm On Aug 13, 2013
its happens to me too... somtyms its very hard to breathe.... also gets me scared... nna i cast and bind every witches and wizard.. whether na from village ooo.. or yankee

1 Like

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Nobody: 6:55pm On Aug 13, 2013
You have a spirishual 'usband grin.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 13, 2013
It's happened to me 3 or 4 times in the recent past, the most recent occurrence being last month. Bizarre as it may sound, I was awoken from my sleep because I felt a presence next to me - close to my head. Unfortunately, the duvet was covering my eyes so I couldn't see who / what it was, but the presence was very strong. I tried in vain (several times) to use my hands to pull down the duvet to see what was there. My hands refused to move. Then I thought I may be dreaming, but my mother and uncle were chatting in the living room and I could hear every word they were saying. Things got worse when I felt the presence move closer, and then felt a bite on the fingers of my left hand. I wanted to jump up and scream but I could neither move nor speak. I was lying on my back.

No, I wasn't drunk, and I wasn't dreaming. It was real. A few minutes later I fell asleep again, and then woke up - this time, I woke up normally.

That very day I researched it online, and realised that several people around the world have experienced similar, bizarre encounters. Many recommended saying a word of prayer (in your mind, if you can't speak). I hope it never happens to me again, but if it does, I'll say a word of prayer.

1 Like

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by iLUMeN8(m): 6:58pm On Aug 13, 2013
I use to have 'em especially during my undergraduate days. Have not had an Episode for over a year now. Its kind of a scary feeling I must say.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by stonemind(f): 7:02pm On Aug 13, 2013
wott da fok?? i'v been having this from the 3yrs now and am not complaining! @op pls chill.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by aktolly54(m): 7:03pm On Aug 13, 2013
always pray before you sleep...may God be with you

1 Like

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by kevoh(m): 7:04pm On Aug 13, 2013
Used to have them once in a while in my teenage years. I didn't even know how it disappeared just realised I used to have it as I saw this thread.

Just relax OP it's a phase and it will surely pass just employ the sleeping positions that have been mentioned earlier on this thread.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Sunnynwa: 7:05pm On Aug 13, 2013
Your sleeping position also matters. Don't sleep facing the ceiling.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Nobody: 7:05pm On Aug 13, 2013
booqee: [b]it started happening to me since last year. Ok i'm sleeping, and like a normal person i'm ready to wake up, u know it comes from within whether wilfully or not, then snap! ur body soul and spirit is awake. Right?? But the case is different with me. Though it only occurs once in a while, i can count the times i've had the experience, the latest been yesterday. Ok this is how it actually feels, i'm ready to wake up, but i feel something holding me down, inwardly i'm awake, i can hear every sound around me perfectly, but i'm unable to wake up, my eyes wouldn't open, my body would refuse to move, it'll just feel like its heavy. To someone looking at me, i may be fast asleep, but i'm actually awake, unable to stand up, move any part of my body or even open my eyes, but i'm actually conscious of my surrounding.

The first time i had it, i think i just fell asleep again after the feeling, the second and third time too was the same. The fourth time or so, i had it, i struggled within myself so hard to fight this stuff, and i was successful.

I really did struggle within me, psychologically, and i felt it when i woke up, i felt sort of drained. I didn't like the feeling.

The last time i had it i just stayed like dat, until i eventually opened my eyes after several minutes. That doesn't feel cool either.

Ok i guess i'm starting to sound like a weirdo but trust me its d plain fact.

Pls advice, what dyu think is wrong with me and wat can i do to stop it.

I really do hate this experience.

Thanks.
[/b]

Simply put. DRINK MORE WATER. You are dehydrated and out of shape. Work out more, drink more water. End of Discussion.
You can thank me later when you see the results
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Sunnynwa: 7:07pm On Aug 13, 2013
Old Hag' Syndrome is a terrifying sleep disorder that many people suffer from. Also known as 'sleep paralysis', sufferers often wake up in the middle of the night, unable to move or scream, but able to see, hear, feel and smell. It is often accompanied by strange smells, frightening sounds, apparitions of shadows or people, and a weight on the chest, making breathing difficult if not impossible.
It is caused by the hormones, which keep us paralysed while we sleep and thus preventing us from acting out our dreams, not ceasing function immediately when you wake up. It usually only lasts up to a minute.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 13, 2013
It happens to me especially when am having a nightmare sad
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Infomizer(m): 7:10pm On Aug 13, 2013
THE AMAKA nailed it! You've got sleep paralysis cos while your body was protecting you from real paralysis, it dozed off! wink lol
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by amaralizzy40y: 7:11pm On Aug 13, 2013
d only solutn to ur problm is prayers and deliverance may let me use dis opportunity 2 invite u 4 our church crusade at mbaise on 17th and 18th of dis month at The lords chosen.

1 Like

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by whytejane(m): 7:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
This issue is very complicated! I think, it is spirital inclination. All u need is prayers! ...and sleep with bible at the side of ur head.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by joey2002: 7:16pm On Aug 13, 2013
if u be christian, go meet better pastor.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Blazinraj01(f): 7:17pm On Aug 13, 2013
SimonAndal:
Tie your feet together and pretend you're a mermaid.
Or She could just pretend to sleep-walk and 'dagger' you in your sleep lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 13, 2013
It has occured to me about three times, but not this year; occurred last year or so. Its not a good experience at all.
I'd be awake, hear what is being discussed. I'd try to reply but i cant speak. I'd try to move but its impossible. At first, i asked myself, "Lord, is this how it feels like when people are about to die?" I even said my last prayers, lol... But it has stopped.
I dont know the cause but its not a good experience. Its like your spirit feels trapped in your body and not being able to move or talk.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by cnwamo(m): 7:19pm On Aug 13, 2013
Good to know that I'm not the only having this experience, i first had it back in school in 2007, then had it a couple of times and it stopped but during the holiday period last week i had it again after a very long time, it drains me and put fear in me. I'm always struggling and when i eventually gain control of my body i find myself gasping for air. it's a really bad feeling
i think i will start sleeping on my chest because i always sleep on my back.
I don't think mine has to do with dehydration because i drink a lots of water daily
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Iceslizer(f): 7:20pm On Aug 13, 2013
While sleep paralysis can be medically explained, I believe it can have some spiritual undertones. I know this for a fact as I used to experience it a couple of years ago. Strangely, it never happens when I'm sleeping in the company of others. And it happens that whenever I think about it or talk about it, it ends up happening to me again at the next time I sleep. By consciously redirecting my thoughts (not to think about it) and by prayers, it completely went away. Now I'm in charge, and i can think and talk about it as much as I want and nothing will happen grin grin grin. Still can't explain what it is till date undecided undecided.

1 Like

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by PosCaricature: 7:23pm On Aug 13, 2013
That is simply an attack. Pls contact a powerful man of God to help you. Do not allow anyone to deceive you by quoting any unproven scientific analysis to you. I once experienced same in the past, but thank God for His Mighty Power. It is well.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by fijiano202(m): 7:23pm On Aug 13, 2013
Firstly nothing is wrong with you,Secondly it happens to everybody but in different form-some feel paralysis in one arm,some feel really weak with the eyes wide open and it would take alot of minutes to stand up,some feel really drained and thirsty like u fought in ur dreams,some wake up with fast heartbeat,some wake up scared,sometimes lack of deep sleep causes it.Thirdly due to our extreme belief in paranormal activities,some belief u are been attacked.my advice are drink alot of water during the day,eat fruit alot and try to stop watching late late night movies cos ur brain needs alot of rest and pray
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by hassanfulani(m): 7:25pm On Aug 13, 2013
PRAYER is the cure (Q.E.D), There is nothing God cannot do. I am a living Testimony!
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 13, 2013
My dear, Just like the poster above said, prayer is the key. In
my own case, I used the name of JESUS. That thing is a demonic attack! Dont mind all those internet stories or write ups calling it sleep paralysis. If you think am lying, try this. Anytime you start experiencing it, try to shout the name of Jesus. At first, you will notice that it is hard to mention. But should you succeed and mention it, you are free forever. Finally, remember to always put the Bible under your pillow before sleeping and if you are a Catholic, spray the holy water around your room. If you are not, go to any Catholic parish and ask the Cathechist for holy water. Am just tellin u what worked for me. Others may have their suggestions. But in my own case, there is nothing God cannot do! Just try my idea my dear!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A NURSE Version Of The Hippocratic Oath........nightingale Pledge / Itchy penis(thread closed) Solved. / Rachel The Piper Foundation Reaches Out To The Poor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.