Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,087 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! (21732 Views)

You'll Never Know True Fear Until You Experience Sleep Paralysis. / Sleeping Paralysis: Share Your Experience / Sleep Paralysis: Yoruba Calls It 'orinrin'. It Is Not A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 13, 2013
Whenever it happens to me I just close my eyes for 10-15 seconds and open it again, that's the only trick that seems to work..
I have studied it and realized it happens mostly when I force myself to sleep some more even when I've had enough, its been long I experienced it cos I stopped forcing myself to sleep even when its obvious I've had enough.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by vxtr(m): 7:26pm On Aug 13, 2013
Babe are u a christian ? I think u better start praying about it. My dear don't just rely on scientific analysis ooo. Whether we believe it or not the spiritual world still controls the world we live in. So pray about it, fast if necessary. Talk to your pastor/imam whichever. May God preserve you from all evil.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Peinstein: 7:30pm On Aug 13, 2013
I have experienced it, but over time I have learnt how to avoid it because I was able to know what caused it

1. When I sleep late into the night having worked and stressed myself mentally and physically I experienced it, especially when I also had to set an alarm to wake up in few hours time. As a result I try not to drain my mental or physical strength before I sleep. Stress seems to be a cause

2 I experienced it at times when I slept with my back on the mattress or mat. This scenario usually takes place when some of the other factors I have listed are combined with sleeping on my back. At times I found it better to change my sleep position. What I do at times during a paralysis is to move the lightest part of my body, mustering much strength to lift just that part of my body usually draws me out of the paralysis. The irony is that it takes mental strength to move just a finger rather than physical strength during a paralysis.

3 strangely but true, I experienced paralysis when I had engaged myself in checking websites, or read materials which were occultic. For this reason I usually mind the kind of websites or information in general I assimilate, such materials seem to pollute one psychologically. In such cases, saying a word of prayer with assurance in God's word has been the surest way out.

For me sleep paralysis has no one cap fits it all, there is yet no silver bullet. Just try to know yourself and why it is happening to you, with time you will find a way out

2 Likes

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Peinstein: 7:31pm On Aug 13, 2013
I have experienced it, but over time I have learnt how to avoid it because I was able to know what caused it

1. When I sleep late into the night having worked and stressed myself mentally and physically I experienced it, especially when I also had to set an alarm to wake up in few hours time. As a result I try not to drain my mental or physical strength before I sleep. Stress seems to be a cause

2 I experienced it at times when I slept with my back on the mattress or mat. This scenario usually takes place when some of the other factors I have listed are combined with sleeping on my back. At times I found it better to change my sleep position. What I do at times during a paralysis is to move the lightest part of my body, mustering much strength to lift just that part of my body usually draws me out of the paralysis. The irony is that it takes mental strength to move just a finger rather than physical strength during a paralysis.

3 strangely but true, I experienced paralysis when I had engaged myself in checking websites, or read materials which were occultic. For this reason I usually mind the kind of websites or information in general I assimilate, such materials seem to pollute one psychologically. In such cases, saying a word of prayer with assurance in God's word has been the surest way out.

For me sleep paralysis has no one cap fits it all, there is yet no silver bullet. Just try to know yourself and why it is happening to you, with time you will find a way out
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Peinstein: 7:31pm On Aug 13, 2013

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by aliumik: 7:31pm On Aug 13, 2013
It could b spiritual and if dat is d case,read a full champter of d gospel where Jesus speaks every night b4 sleeping,i promise u will never experience again;also try eating moringa,it will help u
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Peinstein: 7:32pm On Aug 13, 2013

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by PosCaricature: 7:32pm On Aug 13, 2013
Iceslizer: While sleep paralysis can be medically explained, I believe it can have some spiritual undertones. I know this for a fact as I used to experience it a couple of years ago. Strangely, it never happens when I'm sleeping in the company of others. And it happens that whenever I think about it or talk about it, it ends up happening to me again at the next time I sleep. By consciously redirecting my thoughts (not to think about it) and by prayers, it completely went away. Now I'm in charge, and i can think and talk about it as much as I want and nothing will happen grin grin grin. Still can't explain what it is till date undecided undecided.
My brother, it didn't stop just because you stopped thinking about it. According to you, you still think & talk about it these days but you no longer experience it. It only stop due to divine intervention- your fervent prayers. It's simply a spiritual attack. It requires serious prayers.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by InvertedHammer: 7:33pm On Aug 13, 2013
/
There is no such thing as Sleep Paralysis.

Go talk to your uncle in the village

//

1 Like

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 13, 2013
Peinstein: I have experienced it, but over time I have learnt how to avoid it because I was able to know what caused it

I agree with the highlighted, lol at people googling stuffs up. cheesy
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Jaywilzee(m): 7:36pm On Aug 13, 2013
pDude:

What will that solve?

These Nigerian Christians sef cry
okay oga profer a solution oooo...atleast I did....
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by temi4fash(m): 7:47pm On Aug 13, 2013
OP find ur way to MFM prayer city or and bible believing church for urgent deliverance...
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by johnwizey: 7:50pm On Aug 13, 2013
booqee: na u death go call, and u will answer him forty times. Mtcheww
btw, i'm not a bro
Y are u guyz hating on me nw? Am sori sis its just a joke,dont take it personal. Death won't call anyone IJN

1 Like

Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Emekuuss(m): 7:59pm On Aug 13, 2013
Am actually surprised to hear u say this happens to u as well because I used to experience thesame thing. What I did den was to make sounds frm inside even though nothing in me could make a single move and wen I do dat, anyone around me den would tap me or just push me thinking I was dreaming, den I will be able to gain physical consciousness without which I would remain there until like 10 to 20 minutes. I actually prayed fervently abt it and right now, av stopped experiencing such. Though it lasted for abt three years.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by leonshom(m): 8:11pm On Aug 13, 2013
Av also xperienced such in d past, buh I dnt really fell its a kind of big deal then !
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by chidike(m): 8:13pm On Aug 13, 2013
hmmm...wierd ish
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by BloodyMitch(f): 8:16pm On Aug 13, 2013
so through used to happen to back then in naija, then when i wear my rosary it stops but anyday i forget to wear it to bed i have the encounter, but last three days it happened again, is just what she explained up there. when i woke i wore my rosary and held my bible and since then every nite i wear my rosary to bed and hold my bible and it has nt happened
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by scientology(m): 8:20pm On Aug 13, 2013
stop watching too much of emmanuel TV
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by mipemi(m): 8:24pm On Aug 13, 2013
Happens to me too...for years now I v been battling it...don't seem to know what to do
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 13, 2013
U can b takin a bottle of trevo ,it gud for ur body,it restore,revive nd renew ur body system
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by mipemi(m): 8:26pm On Aug 13, 2013
hornipipe: Whenever it happens to me I just close my eyes for 10-15 seconds and open it again, that's the only trick that seems to work..
I have studied it and realized it happens mostly when I force myself to sleep some more even when I've had enough, its been long I experienced it cos I stopped forcing myself to sleep even when its obvious I've had enough.
Yeah I observed dt too... When I force myself to sleep some more...it happens...what I do is jes wash my face Wiv water an I go bk to sleep...den it stops
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Elgaxton(m): 8:28pm On Aug 13, 2013
booqee: [b]it started happening to me since last year. Ok i'm sleeping, and like a normal person i'm ready to wake up, u know it comes from within whether wilfully or not, then snap! ur body soul and spirit is awake. Right?? But the case is different with me. Though it only occurs once in a while, i can count the times i've had the experience, the latest been yesterday. Ok this is how it actually feels, i'm ready to wake up, but i feel something holding me down, inwardly i'm awake, i can hear every sound around me perfectly, but i'm unable to wake up, my eyes wouldn't open, my body would refuse to move, it'll just feel like its heavy. To someone looking at me, i may be fast asleep, but i'm actually awake, unable to stand up, move any part of my body or even open my eyes, but i'm actually conscious of my surrounding.

The first time i had it, i think i just fell asleep again after the feeling, the second and third time too was the same. The fourth time or so, i had it, i struggled within myself so hard to fight this stuff, and i was successful.

I really did struggle within me, psychologically, and i felt it when i woke up, i felt sort of drained. I didn't like the feeling.

The last time i had it i just stayed like dat, until i eventually opened my eyes after several minutes. That doesn't feel cool either.

Ok i guess i'm starting to sound like a weirdo but trust me its d plain fact.

Pls advice, what dyu think is wrong with me and wat can i do to stop it.

I really do hate this experience.

Thanks.
[/b]

I think this happens due to lack of glucose flowing to the brain properly. Next time when it happens, try your best to breath in deeply and your eyes will pop open with strength. Trust me it works
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by trolling(m): 8:33pm On Aug 13, 2013
this is what is happening your spirit or inner "man/woman" is being held captive by a demon ,its happened to know someone i know, its a spiritual dilemma,you should know that the adversary delights in holding someone captive, he restrains your inner spirit which impacts your body,the spirit and the body are integrally connected,it is the Spirit that moves and quickens the body,like Paul said "who are held captive under his will.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by trolling(m): 8:37pm On Aug 13, 2013
you guys say its REM this REM that, is it normal for someone to be paralyzed physically and spiritually, you guys should know where the paralysis is coming from
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by PrettyGaby(f): 8:41pm On Aug 13, 2013
it used to happen to me too. it is one scary experiece. i remember yelling Jesus like a mantra in my mind. anyway, it stopped since I stopped sleeping in a suppine position. now I curl up when I sleep
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by Nobody: 8:42pm On Aug 13, 2013
Jaywilzee: okay oga profer a solution oooo...atleast I did....

Seek medical help.

Daz all.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by trolling(m): 8:44pm On Aug 13, 2013
jesuslovesme123: It's happened to me 3 or 4 times in the recent past, the most recent occurrence being last month. Bizarre as it may sound, I was awoken from my sleep because I felt a presence next to me - close to my head. Unfortunately, the duvet was covering my eyes so I couldn't see who / what it was, but the presence was very strong. I tried in vain (several times) to use my hands to pull down the duvet to see what was there. My hands refused to move. Then I thought I may be dreaming, but my mother and uncle were chatting in the living room and I could hear every word they were saying. Things got worse when I felt the presence move closer, and then felt a bite on the fingers of my left hand. I wanted to jump up and scream but I could neither move nor speak. I was lying on my back.

No, I wasn't drunk, and I wasn't dreaming. It was real. A few minutes later I fell asleep again, and then woke up - this time, I woke up normally.

That very day I researched it online, and realised that several people around the world have experienced similar, bizarre encounters. Many recommended saying a word of prayer (in your mind, if you can't speak). I hope it never happens to me again, but if it does, I'll say a word of prayer.
your answer lies in the book of Job,aint nothing new under the sun and the Spirit wouldnt allow you to see him,instead of seeing him,he would show you the face of someone familiar
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by optimusprime2(m): 8:45pm On Aug 13, 2013
Laymans Definition;
Your Brain's awake, but your body's still shut down...
Explaining your conciousness and your Pseudo paralysis(zero psychomotor control).
Tip;
1-Workout more often (seems you are the lazy type) it would increase your startup response.
2-Lose some weight
3-Take frequent Naps
4-Dont over eat before you sleep
5-You might want to adjust your sleeping position a bit i.e lie on your sides or front.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by kazeemayorinde(m): 8:46pm On Aug 13, 2013
Na NRC de press press u o. Do u knw d meaning of NRC? na political party symbolized by BIRD. that is to say na ur village wizards
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by freecocoa(f): 8:49pm On Aug 13, 2013
Happened to me this afternoon, I was sleeping face down and my friend's hand was on my back, I thought I heard someone call my name and I tried standing up to no avail, tried moving to no avail, I really struggled but couldn't move, after what felt like ages, I heard her say "baby your phone is ringing" then she removed her hand from my back and I was finally able to get up.

Its not the first time its happened to me, though today is the first time this year, I don't attach much to it cos I know it happens to others too.
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by trolling(m): 8:52pm On Aug 13, 2013
even me wey i strong thru the Spirit when i walk in my flesh,i experience bizarre experience in between sleep,imagine a force making you bite your tongue only to wake up to see that you have a sore on your tongue,like i said the Spirit or the Flesh quickens the body
Re: I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! by trolling(m): 8:56pm On Aug 13, 2013
idnoble135: It has occured to me about three times, but out this year. Its not a good experience at all.
I'd be awake, hear what is being discussed. I'd try to reply but i cant speak. I'd try to move but its impossible. At first, i asked myself, "Lord, is this how it feels like when people are about to die?" I even said my last prayers, lol... But it has stopped.
I dont know the cause but its not a good experience. Its like your spirit feels trapped in your body and not being able to move or talk.
thats exactly what it is,its spiritual captivity or entrapment,even David said you held me from speaking Psalms 39:9 (paraphrasing) Moses was even told who created the eyes and the mouth when he said he was of slow speech

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rachel The Piper Foundation Reaches Out To The Poor / A NURSE Version Of The Hippocratic Oath........nightingale Pledge / Female Circumcision Is Dangerous To Women's Health; It Should Be Scrapped.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.