Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,644 members, 7,813,159 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? (37275 Views)

Staying Back After NYSC / Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? / CRAZY Things You Did While Hunting For Job After NYSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by SayITnw: 7:10am On Aug 16, 2013
10 working days. I got the offer in d firm I did my industrial training.....and till today it's been a reference point in my career.

Pls take ur internships seriously......it just might be ur gold mine...

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Tinyemeka(m): 7:12am On Aug 16, 2013
Served at a school. Got retained after service. Went home to go and prepare but changed my mind eventually, on taking the job. Pay was too low.

At home while I was job-hunting and thinking of what to do with my life, a friend and former classmate called to tell me he was in Lagos and had gotten a job with one pharma company. I almost ran mad. smiley Following week, I headed to Lag, secured a contract, commission-based job about two weeks later. I knew within me that it was just a waste of time. Kept on praying and hunting for a better offer. Big break eventually came 3 months later from a company I hadn't any interest in. smiley God and His amazing mercies. Been rocking that one for five years now but if I see another better opening I go fly sharperly. grin Not my fault.

All in all, it took me 3 months post-NYSC to secure my first.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Somex10202(m): 7:14am On Aug 16, 2013
2yrs 2month after nysc it wasnt easy but God faithful
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Tinyemeka(m): 7:17am On Aug 16, 2013
real-teflon:
A call to all Nigerian graduate to join us for one million match protest against unemployment. See these ur 2,3,4,5 years of joblessness will end for good and would save other youth still in school, oh now at home, ASUU wahala after the match. Nigeria is an undeveloped country where unemployment should not prevail because there are so many areas to develop. The power to end unemployment is not with the govt because they don't care but in the hands of Nigeria Graduate with a one million match protest. Join us to accomplish this. There is power in number. Let us end this struggle for little in the midst of plenty,I mean plentyyyyyyyyyyyy

Dude, find out what employers require in a candidate and develop yourself.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by mide8e(m): 7:27am On Aug 16, 2013
I waited exactly a year
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by solacec4t(f): 7:41am On Aug 16, 2013
got my present job exactly one year two months after NYSC.

before the job came i worked for another company as a contract staff for a couple of months.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by ashaju33: 7:41am On Aug 16, 2013
Two months exactly....Not my power but God
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by arabbunkum: 7:43am On Aug 16, 2013
Four good months! It was a very hard period but I thank GOD for today.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by OmniSparrow: 7:44am On Aug 16, 2013
redcliff: [size=14pt]Lol. was still serving when i got my current job. Awesome stuff..Nigeria Graduates dont know their worth and thats why they arre where they are today[/size]
Er...don't think bad of me but I think u need a gud slap. Think of it as a manual reset. It has helped lots of other id1ots. You are where you are cos you know your worth abi? Shallow.

6 Likes

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by anu4kwan: 8:03am On Aug 16, 2013
it took me 8 years
samdson: Dear Nairalanders,
Let us share how long it took for each of us to find a job after the NYSC program.
This will serve as a form of survey, and will help strengthen those whom are yet to find employment at the moment.
Please share!
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Nobody: 8:09am On Aug 16, 2013
My pop was 16th June and my employment letter is dated 20th july same year. Na God o!
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by mfm04622: 8:11am On Aug 16, 2013
3 months! Got another offer within 2weeks of that and moved. Been with the 2nd one close to 12 years now. God have been good
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by elewedu(m): 8:14am On Aug 16, 2013
I got my first "husstle"(teaching,20k ) 6months after nysc, it was a tough waiting period for me, then exactly 6months after , I got my first "work" in a cement company(100k+) , been there for 3 years, now am searching for my first job(oil company 1m+) ....I hope it comes soon, if not I might have to start something on my own..............am already working tirelessly towards it.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Jayboi(m): 8:22am On Aug 16, 2013
The truth is most of us want the big job immediately afta nysc and alway7 4get the fact that experience plays a major part. It doesnt mata wia u begin as long as u gather experience.
I so much detested d teachn job bt afta abt 8mths at home and my nysc left ova almost finishd, i quickly stood up and went to a nearby sec schl and immediately they took me. Funny enuf i enjoyd d job cos d students were gud and lovely and even wud always wish i were at a beta place and sometimes prayed 4 me.
Afta 9mths, i got three job offers(even though none was stil a dream job) and had to choose again. And 4mths got anoda job beta dan d one b4. And even right nw, i av applied and hoping and optimistic on a dream job. Its been 2yrs afta my nysc. I thank God.

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by chiboyman: 8:26am On Aug 16, 2013
3 and half yrs after NYSC...Thank God i did my ICAN within those 3 and halfyears....Its well
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by paparazzi1987(m): 8:29am On Aug 16, 2013
0 days...in fact i don dey work before i finished my nysc
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by baron2000(m): 8:31am On Aug 16, 2013
redcliff: [size=14pt]Lol. was still serving when i got my current job. Awesome stuff..Nigeria Graduates dont know their worth and thats why they arre where they are today[/size]

So you situation is not the grace of God abi? It is due to your smartness. Please learn humility in your achievement. Everyone has an appointed time from God.

For me, i got mine 6 months after POP. Though i rejected 2 along the way.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by osymary: 8:48am On Aug 16, 2013
na God oooooooo, from one menial job to d oda,after one tear, then the one am in now ( going to 7yrs)
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by seangy4konji: 9:02am On Aug 16, 2013
3 years and sill counting...Not searching anymore.Gone back to yahoo yahoo and my life is getting better.sips my alomo and continues bombardment.

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by bukatyne(f): 9:06am On Aug 16, 2013
orgasticdance:
babe,
leave matter, a top coy gave me a job two years before i was even ready to work. it wasn't god, but excellence and hard work that got me the job! i know i am in the minority so thrs nothing to celebrate or be grateful abt becos a coy picked me and two others over 1000 people. y wont u ask god to make tins work so people can run their businesses witout paying for fuel and diesel at neck breaking rates? ur just being selfish tinking abt u and ur family. dis economy is in the pits, its not a god tin, yes one or two people will be lucky but the vast majority will be left chasing shadows. its not rocket science, an economy wit zero industrial base/growth in ten+ years can't produce jobs; even if u and all ur relatives get jobs tomorow, it doesnt mean tins are improving, keep ur testimonies to urselves abegsad angry

You are very funny if you think you are the 'best' that's why you got the job.

Why can't everyone be 'lucky' at the same time?

I have not disputed the role of hardwork in my post, instead acknowledged that there is a God that works miracles.

I was the best in the first test I did but my dressing did not match the job. During the oral interview, I heard I did not do well as they wanted a sales person and I had never sold b/4.

In summary, I was not shortlisted but the CEO asked for the results and asked why I was not and they told the CEO I was not fit for the job who insisted another position will be found for me so many other incidences...

This is a company I never knew existed. It was actually my fiancée who applied for me. I practically knew nobody and if someone 'Knew' me which I know is not true, I just did a change of name.

My point: God works miracles and I want those who believe in Him to hold on to Him while they prepare themselves.

2 Likes

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Sweetlemon(f): 9:10am On Aug 16, 2013
If you don't have a job yet and you are above 26 years and/or a 2.2 or 3rd clas graduate without strong connections, I will give you this frank advice.
Go and start one small business. It doesn't matter how small or ridiculous it is. Even if it is selling or supplying pure water. Dangote started by selling sweets while in school. Never underestimate the power of determination.
From pure water you can graduate to bottled water, from there you can move to dispensers, from there you can start supplying offices, parties, conferences. Then you can expand to drinks, wines, and even start producing your own brand of drinks which may end up being a household name!
Just believe in yourself, think outside the box, pray, work hard and keep focusing on your dreams.
It is well!

2 Likes

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by redcliff: 9:31am On Aug 16, 2013
baron2000:

So you situation is not the grace of God abi? It is due to your smartness. Please learn humility in your achievement. Everyone has an appointed time from God.

For me, i got mine 6 months after POP. Though i rejected 2 along the way.

No calm down don't get me wrong man. Its not even about humility. I'm only responding to the topic.for the fact I did not acknowldge the hand of God in the comment does not mean I don't know it was by his grace and not by my wits.I'm saying so because I did not even get an interview. I was recommended for the job. Yes everyone has an aPpointed time and mine was then man.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by abdn: 9:41am On Aug 16, 2013
To God be the glory. I got my first real job 4yrs after NYSC and am still searching for a better 1. Though staying without real job was very tough but, am giving God all d glory now. Belief and trust in God he will sure provide a good job for you. I am a living witness.

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by redcliff: 9:43am On Aug 16, 2013
Omni_Sparrow:
Er...don't think bad of me but I think u need a gud slap. Think of it as a manual reset. It has helped lots of other id1ots. You are where you are cos you know your worth abi? Shallow.

I don't have the time to go back and forth with you disgruntled loquacious graduated scoffer. Like I said earlier, its graduates like you who don't know their worth that keep spending so much time at home after service year because you are chained with the idea that it must be a paid job after serving. What happened to your brain and how its supposed to work for you? all those long holidays before transiting into another school level? I guess you whiled it away playing snooker in your neighbourhood and watching Paloma with your mother and sisters . After grad, I started up my personal business and it was going pretty well before the offer came. That's the worth I'm talking about. Like I said, nigeria graduates like you don't know their worth. Don't bother replying because I won't read it neither would I reply you.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Nobody: 9:51am On Aug 16, 2013
Bro, same here oh. But why Shell to Chevron. Shell that has almost been grounded? Na wa o.

Anyway, I would prefer an oil servicing firm, garner some experience and ply my trade outside Naija... That's my plan.

Still serving though.

Above all, we should seek for career mentors... I mean those who had been in our shoes before now and you can find them here on nairaland.

k2039: Mine had more to do with nepotism joor. By the way I studied petroleum, so anyway I would have had to chose between a oil servicing company or a oil multinational. Besides, I prefer Shell to Chevron sef. Still trying to pull some strings.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by kasheemawo(m): 9:51am On Aug 16, 2013
just got employed with the state university after 22 months of struggling after NYSC,all i have to say is I THANK YOU GOD
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by akhigbe59(m): 10:07am On Aug 16, 2013
The following job are available
A qualified manager need in fidelity bank
A manger also need in an oil company in
rivers state and port harcourt
The following interested person should pls
call 08075474526 or submit your cv on
this email vivianjefferson7@gmail.com
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by niyitogun(m): 10:17am On Aug 16, 2013
2weeks....and no connections involved
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by suze(f): 10:24am On Aug 16, 2013
I got a job 4months afterNYSC but I didnt take it cos the pay wasnt worth it at all. But the first job I took eventually was 8mnths after my NYSC.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by EmmyDe25(m): 10:28am On Aug 16, 2013
Emmysteve: hope you are saving, we are in the same shoe
Well, atleast i have a thousand naira in my account after being robbed of 90k last week.
@Op, nice topic you have.. 6months to POP but believe iyanu ma shele before then.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Emmy9ite(m): 10:40am On Aug 16, 2013
Everybody is looking for a job but nobody wants to create jobs. A wise man once said, "if you find yourself on the side of the majority, pause and think twice"
Entrepreneurship is what the youths need to embrace. if you own a one man business, you are self employed, you are an entrepreneur when you create jobs for others.
I believe I will create jobs for more Nigerians than Dangote and Adenuga before I get to 40.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

How I Got A Federal Government Job In Abuja; Female Security Guard Reveals. PICS / Togolese Are Taking Away Our Jobs By Azuka Onwuka / FG Job: How My Name Was Replaced With Someone Who Lobbied & Paid Paid ₦7 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.