Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,266 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria (39961 Views)

See What An Indian Expatriate Wrote About Nigeria / Nigeria Decides: Presidential Elections Prediction With Indepth Analysis. / Real Cost Of Fuel - An Indepth Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by charlesm91(m): 3:20pm On Aug 25, 2013
Like fela said, suffering and smiling. Dats all we do all day. E go beta has become the order of the day. How long do we have to manage every bullshit the govt throws at us. Why the writer focused on oil n gas is cos its the dominant sector. And trust me when he says corruption isn't just about govt officials. It's just about every sect in the society and I'm sure if we are to be honest with ourselves, at some point we or our pals have made comments about how we gonna loot if given the chance to hold any public office. Go to the education sector, to write n pass jamb is corrupt. Passing courses is corrupt. Church ministry is corrupt. The average seller will lie to you about the quality of his good. To get to play for ur national team is corrupt. Everything is corrupt here and it's a mentality issue. There's need to re orientate ourselves. Now we all know every nation is corrupt but comparing ourselves to America in terms of corruption will only be deceit. American govt will still seek to provide some means of comfy for its citizen while engaging in behind scenes. While we, what does the govt do . I'm sure Nigerians wouldn't Mind looting if some or most services were put in place and we were seeing some sort of improvement in standard of living. For world bank stats that says we are reducing in terms of poverty levels n blah blah. Pls there's a great difference btw economic growth n development. Those stats are flattered to deceive. We living in NAija know the real deal. Ask ur self this honest question, when has the price of anything in this country reduced after initially been upped? Everything has taken the upward trend and I doubt petroleum will ever be reduced again. For the average Nigerian ,when coming out of the university, u were a bit scared of what the future holds for u. Going to service required an element luck that u get retained in ur working place or in the least find a good working place before ur service year runs out. We shouldn't be praying to have electricity, water, transport network and other basic amenities that we ought to have outrightly .

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 25, 2013
ono:

Alright. Perhaps, you want to tell me what it will take to change Nigeria. I don't claim I alone can or will do it in one day. If you read my previous posts, you will see where I stated that these things will not be done with 100% perfection...and it takes time.

I take utmost pain to make sure there's nothing corrupt in everything I do. I like probity, accountability and the rule of law. This has always been in me right from my childhood days.....some of the characteristics that stood me out among the lot in Primary 6, which led to my being made the senior boy of my school at that time.

I possess the same, if not more sef, of those characteristics you posted but I won't/can't claim to be able to make the changes you stated. I was expecting you to say stuff like you participated in student rallies, pro-democracy walks, gani's protest etc. All that stuff you posted is possessed by thousands of Nigerians. We are all not corrupt you know.
My grudge is that everybody makes the claims you make. The only people doing something don't make the claims, they are actually doing stuff IN Nigeria and not making claims from far away. It is easy to say but my guy/girl, when the Nigerian reality hits you eh eh.....
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Iykeponti(m): 3:41pm On Aug 25, 2013
We don finish be dat!!! British una plan 4naija don over mature , oya make una come back & take over naija as usual.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 25, 2013
TheRealMrStan: [size=14pt]Only in Nigeria where a frustrated expatriate that failed in exploiting our economy writes up a whole lot of jargons and some dumb self-hating Nigerians start concurring.

Why don't you all read what another foreigner from FORBES MAGAZINE had to say about Nigeria just days ago:[/size]
http://www.forbes.com/sites/hilarykramer/2013/08/21/nigeria-beckons-investors-fleeing-the-bric/

*smiles*And how sure are you that he/she hasnt tasted our oil money? grin

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by NoContract(m): 3:44pm On Aug 25, 2013
99cent:

GBAM.
the stupidity on this thread is beyond me. Nigeria has featured in "MOST CORRUPT COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD" list for several years now. All of a sudden, some random guy decides to type a half-assed one dimensional rant and wow, they look at it as if it's something enlightening. Even if the guy had proposed an idea of how to solve the problem I will understand. but he is stating the obvious and somehow we nigerians are reacting as if we are hearing for the first time.

I asked a simple question: how does this help us toward solving the issue? and the fool i-hop or whetever his username is got his panties in a bunch. rubbish.

So dude, u need foreign help to restore Nigeria?
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 25, 2013
The truth has no colour.its not black or white or both!For those fallacious persons who prefer to attack the poster rather than tgw topic.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Iykeponti(m): 3:52pm On Aug 25, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

Why would he cry you an ocean? He comes from a first world, industrialized nation and has a high powered career travelling round the world. Who should care more: you living in denial or him telling you what every rational person that isn't deluded knows about your utterly hopeless country?
well done ma guy! Since i dey read ur comments, dis r the very 1st time u talk sense grin
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by nijanigga: 3:52pm On Aug 25, 2013
Rossikk:

Thank you. So because we have not turned to Japan or Germany, it means we've made no progress? For your information on many things you mentioned we have improved, such as infant mortality rates, poverty rates, and even access to clean drinking water. Evidence:

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/nigeria_statistics.html

Even the World Bank the other day admitted that poverty was reducing in Nigeria. What about the roads and rail? What about communications? Was it not under the military that all the infrastructure crumbled, something we're now fixing to great acclaim by Nigerians? Will your foreign visitor/writer know any of this? Afterall he just pops in and out and can write anything.

Oh, you forgot to add the new phenomenon, the dreaded BOKO HARAM, which is operating freely inside Gej's administration.
The rehabilitation of the Nigerian railway, still relies on what we inherited from the British; substandard guage,using red flags and lamps to dispatch trains. For your information it takes close to 50 hours for 1100 km journey, you do the math.South Africa has bullet train.
Please ,take time read this article, hopefully, you won't be fooled twice by Gej.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/-oba-of-benin-reveals-pathetic-filthy-state-of-lagos-kano-train/151361/

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ono(m): 3:56pm On Aug 25, 2013
A-town:

I possess the same, if not more sef, of those characteristics you posted but I won't/can't claim to be able to make the changes you stated. I was expecting you to say stuff like you participated in student rallies, pro-democracy walks, gani's protest etc. All that stuff you posted is possessed by thousands of Nigerians. We are all not corrupt you know.
My grudge is that everybody makes the claims you make. The only people doing something don't make the claims, they are actually doing stuff IN Nigeria and not making claims from far away. It is easy to say but my guy/girl, when the Nigerian reality hits you eh eh.....

These days, fighting a cause does not 'necessarily' mean you need to go out there physically to do so. You may even be termed stupid when you go ''physical'' against some things - ever heard about the power of a pen? That said, I can assure you that the fact that many are reading this man's write up will go a long way to help 'fight' corruption. It's like sowing a seed, and it will grow to something we all can appreciate later on.

And beside, I was only responding to 99cents question in that post.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by nijanigga: 3:57pm On Aug 25, 2013
Guy, should read most of my postings regarding state of Nigeria, and you hear all sorts of name calling; pessimistic, sadist. They hate to hear the truth.
Wait until, oil become useless, then you will see crime.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by 4Play(m): 4:02pm On Aug 25, 2013
Much of what he said is true. I liked what he said about how everyone is against corruption unless the guilty person is from their peer group. This explains the continuing popularity of Tinubu, GEJ and the scions of the Abacha family in their respective regions. Corruption is deplorable, unless it's ''our guy'' being accused of it.

He is wrong about this though:

Apparently it wasn’t always like this. There was a time, probably from around the 1970s to 1990s, when Nigeria had a reasonably diverse economy. Besides the oil and gas, they had agriculture, manufacturing and assembly (Peugeot set up an assembly plant in Nigeria in the mid-1970s), brewing (there is a both a Guinness and a Heineken brewery), refining, construction, and pharmaceuticals. Some of these survive today. There were decent universities, and students wishing to graduate had to apply themselves. Security wasn’t much of a concern to the average citizen.

Nigeria's economy is as diverse, probably more so, than it has ever been. I think living standards are better than in the 90s and there are more amenities (roads, schools, hospitals, phone lines) than before. Other than that, very hard hitting but accurate article.

2 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by dadicvila(m): 4:05pm On Aug 25, 2013
Dike Chimezie: @Op,u would have told us we are in for a marathon.I read,slept off,woked up to continue but decided to scroll down to see d lenght of d remainder but amazingly realised that i have not gone halfway.
Then i paused to ask myself if the stress is worth it - then came to a conclusion that it dosen't especially when it is coming from a foreigner who with due respect knows scarcely about Nigeria and Nigerians.
I rest my case.
Oga just Admit it,you are too lazy to read and don't care about anything that isn't food on your table,hope you wunt be too lazy to read your own will
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 25, 2013
if it was a nigerian saying dis it won't be painful, but coming from an expatriate?? No its just saddening but he has spoken d truth with some exaggerations tho. Nigeria's problem is massive and its hard to say where to start d repair from. Its only God dat can really help us. Did i hear u say "nigerians and religion again!", well its not my fault, i'm a nigerian.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 4:06pm On Aug 25, 2013
Rossikk: A lot of what the guy says is wrong, such as that peoples' lives have not improved since the military, and that democracy has delivered no dividends etc etc. Typical shallow analysis by a person who's never lived in Nigeria, but is just a visitor who now thinks he knows everything.

You are a person!

Check your facts. The guy is miles more intelligent than you.

Here is an international assessment:

http://nigeriapoliticsonline.com/poverty-has-increased-considerably-in-nigeria-world-bank-as-bureau-of-statistics-confirms-112-million-nigerians-living-below-poverty-line/

Here is local assessment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17015873

Products of failed education system that can't check simple facts are talking about shallow analysis. No analysis is better than shallow analysis?

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by skimarvel: 4:08pm On Aug 25, 2013
Kan sme1 explain d trash dat guy just spelt out....no mata aw small corruption is.... corruption is corruption..xo no country is vindicated...he saying lagos airport is a natinal disgrace...i guess he left NIGERIA tru sudaness airport.....use RUSSIA as a casestudy

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ono(m): 4:10pm On Aug 25, 2013
A-town:

Perhaps...and then again, maybe we need to really fully define what corruption is, in the light of what you've written. ..smh sad
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 4:12pm On Aug 25, 2013
skimarvel: Kan sme1 explain d trash dat guy just spelt out....no mata aw small corruption is.... corruption is corruption..xo no country is vindicated...he saying lagos airport is a natinal disgrace...i guess he left NIGERIA tru sudaness airport.....use RUSSIA as a casestudy

It is because of the scale of corruption he is talking about that your life is so fcked up you write with such pathetic grammar.

Why wouldn't you when your teachers probably could not read their certificate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quT33KJBSRY

Mooron saying degree of corruption is irrelevant. Fooool!

3 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by skimarvel: 4:13pm On Aug 25, 2013
Sagamite:

You are a person!

Check your facts. The guy is miles more intelligent than you.

Here is an international assessment:

http://nigeriapoliticsonline.com/poverty-has-increased-considerably-in-nigeria-world-bank-as-bureau-of-statistics-confirms-112-million-nigerians-living-below-poverty-line/

Here is local assessment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17015873

Products of failed education system that can't check simple facts are talking about shallow analysis. No analysis is better than shallow analysis?
wot d f**k are u saying..112million nigerians living below poverty line..u must b daft to believe such useless statistics 4rm useless people siting abroad..

2 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ono(m): 4:15pm On Aug 25, 2013
And now, sagamite is boiling over with rage..lololo!
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 4:16pm On Aug 25, 2013
skimarvel: wot d f**k are u saying..112million nigerians living below poverty line..u must b daft to believe such useless statistics 4rm useless people siting abroad..

You are a person!

What statistic should I believe then? The one you pulled from your arsse?

Or the one from a cretinous product of a failed education system like you that writes in textspeak over people the from people with brains that attended Harvard, Oxbridge, Yale, MIT, LSE and likes? Who is useless, you or them?
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by skimarvel: 4:17pm On Aug 25, 2013
Sagamite:

It is because of the scale of corruption he is talking about that your life is so fcked up you write with such pathetic grammar.

Why wouldn't you when your teachers probably could not read their certificate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quT33KJBSRY

Mooron saying degree of corruption is irrelevant. Fooool!
...go hug transformer then...an idiot who iz still tied to iz colonial ruler..u still av a slave mentality..
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 4:20pm On Aug 25, 2013
skimarvel: ...go hug transformer then...idiot who iz still tied to iz colonial ruler..u still av a slave mentality..

You are a person!

With your education, you cannot be more than a houseboy in a sane society.

Cretins like you always play the slave master card when people show you sense, is that why you failed at school? Because you thought those that pass and do well at school are slaves because they are learning what was introduced by the whiteman? You think as a black man it is your birthright and culture to be perpetually stuuupid?

Cretin, insisting scale of corruption is irrelevant! Product of a failed education system.

3 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by NigerianAsshole(f): 4:22pm On Aug 25, 2013
This guy said the truth and anybody disputing him has been paid to do so. shekena
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 4:26pm On Aug 25, 2013
Kamanda: Naija is DOOMED
No. Nigeria will be REDEEMED and sooner than you think too.
Trust God.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Bizibi(m): 4:27pm On Aug 25, 2013
skimarvel: wot d f**k are u saying..112million nigerians living below poverty line..u must b daft to believe such useless statistics 4rm useless people siting abroad..
i wonder oh,if 112 million can be in poverty then most of us will be using touch light phones or u will still be seeing many peugeot 504 and mercedes 230

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 4:31pm On Aug 25, 2013
Nigeria has really gone to the dogs if cases of rape are now frequent reports and they continue, because the rapists often go unpunished and the victims are scarred for life.
There was a case where two secondary school girls who were gang raped went to report at a police station and ended up being raped by the police men there.
SOS calls to police stations often don't get quick or any response.
Nigeria has really gone to the dogs if most public hospitals don't have ambulances for emergencies and then the emergency wards don't have the equipment for performing CPR and other life saving procedures.

Nigeria has really gone to the dogs if the federal government says the N92 billion required by the federal government universities is not realistic, but yet the same government spends more billions of naira on paying jumbo salaries and allowances to legislators and other public officials.
Can any of our legislators use the toilets and bathrooms in the hostels of the campuses of government universities where the poor students live in horrible and terrible inhuman conditions?

Nigeria has really gone to the dogs if innocent students are mobbed and lynched in broad daylight in the presence of police and military officers.

Nigeria has really gone to the dogs if militants and terrorists hold the rest of the citizens to ransom.

"40 million Nigerians translating to 23.9 per cent are unemployed."
~ Dr Christopher Kolade, Chairman, Subsidy Reinvestment Programme (SURE-P).

But who do we blame? When clueless and silly state governors waste hundreds of millions of naira on beauty pageants and musical concerts promoting and provoking sexploitation of Nigerian girls and women instead of investing the huge sums of money to create jobs for their jobless youths?

A governor in the Niger Delta wasted $1 million to host American hip hop and rap artistes in a one night show that did not create jobs for his jobless youths who terrorize both their fellow citizens and foreigners from Port Harcourt to Yenagoa.
Imagine the number of jobs that $1 million can create if invested in a profitable cottage industry like making mattresses and pillows or in fishery.

The devil finds work for idle hands is a popular saying that is enough to explain the widespread cases of lawlessness in Nigeria caused by idleness and joblessness.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 4:33pm On Aug 25, 2013
Bizibi: i wonder oh,if 112 million can be in poverty then most of us will be using touch light phones or u will still be seeing many peugeot 504 and mercedes 230

Do you think someone living in poverty can even afford a car?

What proportion of Nigerians that you know have a car?
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 25, 2013
another thing, if this dude say we're corrupt, no shit. He isn't lying about dat. But wat i don't seem to understand is why he still wants to come back. He has described nigeria with every negative words imaginable. Didn't he say the average corrupt nigerian has the mentality of "i want all dat is there and still want more". Now see where dis dude shot himself in d foot; its obvious he's working in d oil and gas sector and paid a very fat salary(who wouldn't know dat), but still he wants to come back to this 'cesspit' for another three years to amass more wealth. He has said he isn't really having fun here, so why come back?? Bloody hypocrite. Talk about a pot calling a kettle black.

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by skimarvel: 4:36pm On Aug 25, 2013
Sagamite:

You are a person!

With your education, you cannot be more than a houseboy in a sane society.

Cretins like you always play the slave master card when people show you sense, is that why you failed at school? Because you thought those that pass and do well at school are slaves because they are learning what was introduced by the whiteman? You think as a black man it is your birthright and culture to be perpetually stuuupid?

Cretin, insisting scale of corruption is irrelevant! Product of a failed education system.
I TINK I KNW D PROBLEM u re probably 1 of doz lunatics who will hang on to d tyres of an aeroplane just to get 2 d UK....bros dunno wori u will get a job with LAWMA one day since u top d list of doz 112million nigeria who live below d poverty line..
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by collynzo2(m): 4:39pm On Aug 25, 2013
Bizibi: even 1997 was not as bad as wht we are facing now,thn 50 naira was something u can hold and get something to eat for lunch,yes abacha was a terrible dictator but any time i remember the living conditionsin nigeria at time compared to now i just shake my head in pity,democracy in nigeria now means freedom to take whatever u can lay ur hands on not minding if people are watching,
Let's not exaggerate things, hoq easy was it to 'get hold' of 50 naira as at then? How many motorable roads did we have then? How many new roads did Abacha create? How accessible was clean water then? Majority of Nigerians used to walk kilometersjust to fetch water then even in cities like Lagos and PH, let alone rural areas. How accessible is water now? Things were far worse then, make no mistake about that. Even the dollar is not as strong as it used to be in 1997.

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 4:41pm On Aug 25, 2013
booqee: another thing, if this dude say we're corrupt, no shit. He isn't lying about dat. But wat i don't seem to understand is why he still wants to come back. He has described nigeria with every negative words imaginable. Didn't he say the average corrupt nigerian has the mentality of "i want all dat is there and still want more". Now see where dis dude shot himself in d foot; its obvious he's working in d oil and gas sector and paid a very fat salary(who wouldn't know dat), but still he wants to come back to this 'cesspit' for another three years to amass more wealth. He has said he isn't really having fun here, so why come back?? Bloody hypocrite. Talk about a pot calling a kettle black.

Upon all the man said, the thing that bothers you the most is the fact you "think" he wants to comeback to work in Nigeria?

Not only is your thinking that poor, you seem to also be poor in reading as what he said was that he hopes never to have to live permanently in Nigeria again.

It is not totally your fault, it is mainly the fault of the corruption the man is talking about that you lack thinking priorities and have comprehension challenges.

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 4:44pm On Aug 25, 2013
skimarvel: I TINK I KNW D PROBLEM u re probably 1 of doz lunatics who will hang on to d tyres of an aeroplane just to get 2 d UK....bros dunno wori u will get a job with LAWMA one day since u top d list of doz 112million nigeria who live below d poverty line..

Another person stuck in the rot of Nigeria coming with the lame you escaped to UK and poverty when his idiocy is exposed and he can't defend it.

person, this is for you too:

https://www.nairaland.com/1410261/tear-burn-nigerian-passport-once/10#17660152

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Nnewi North TC Chairman Suspended Over Wife's "Murder" (Graphic Pictures) / Jonathan Meets Buhari In Closed Door Meeting In Abuja ( Photo) / US Visit: Atiku Has Disqualified Himself From Presidential Race – Sagay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.