Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,383 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:33 AM

General New Zealand Student Enquires - Travel (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General New Zealand Student Enquires (210114 Views)

New Zealand Student Visa / Australia Or New Zealand Student Visa! / New Zealand Student Visa: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 9:33pm On Oct 22, 2022
SuppoOmoo:
Hello everyone.

I am new on this thread and I want to humbly request inputs of sabi people.

I hold a BSc Economics (2,1) and Professional Masters Degree in Disaster Risk Management. (non-thesis option) (2,1). I do have student copy transcripts for both degrees.

I work with department of Corrections here in Nigeria and was recently appointed as a Restorative Justice Officer. I am finding my new task very interesting as it is result-oriented it involves helping people under incarceration via mediating for them which often result to their eventual release from the custody. I do this free of charge and I have worked on a number of cases successfully. So, I am considering a formal career along this path and the thought of enrolling for a Masters degree in RJ came. However, the university I searched, VUW does not offer Master's in RJ, it only offers PgCert in RJ and a PhD. I am still searching other Universities, anyway.

Another program I have always had in mind before now is a PhD in Disaster Management since I already have a Master degree in it.

Now my question is are these two fields of study sellable in New Zealand?
Which one would you advice for me suppose I am your brother?

Master's degree in Restorative Justice since I have job experience in it or a PhD in Disaster Management since I have Master's Degree?

Thanks.

Disaster management yes - we have tsunamis, volcanos, earthquakes to manage. Also sustainable agriculture is growing and there's a great push to move to alternative sources of energy.
Plus Risk and Disaster Management is agrowing field and your chances of getting work and being paid well is much higher.

RJ - hmnn maybe in the future but for now, O strongly feel you have to have some Maori or Pasifika heritage for anyone to take you seriously that field.

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by SuppoOmoo: 7:44am On Oct 23, 2022
Ticha:

Disaster management yes - we have tsunamis, volcanos, earthquakes to manage. Also sustainable agriculture is growing and there's a great push to move to alternative sources of energy.
Plus Risk and Disaster Management is agrowing field and your chances of getting work and being paid well is much higher.

RJ - hmnn maybe in the future but for now, O strongly feel you have to have some Maori or Pasifika heritage for anyone to take you seriously that field.

Thanks for your sincere inputs.

I ll intensify efforts in searching for Unis that may take me for a PhD DM.

Should you have recommendations, I wouldn't mind pls.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by SuppoOmoo: 6:59am On Oct 24, 2022
Ticha:

@Ticha

I did message a few professors of my intention to be part of their centres as a research student citing my works. Two have replied me within 24hrs.

One suggested I apply as a normal prospective PhD student telling me the deadline is November 1.

The other one did ask a probing question... Were you thinking of travelling to New Zealand to study or for work?

To answer this question dey fear me, make dem no go use my words against me later. Any input from you?

See the screenshot of her response...

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 7:32am On Oct 25, 2022
SuppoOmoo:

@Ticha

I did message a few professors of my intention to be part of their centres as a research student citing my works. Two have replied me within 24hrs.

One suggested I apply as a normal prospective PhD student telling me the deadline is November 1.

The other one did ask a probing question... Were you thinking of travelling to New Zealand to study or for work?

To answer this question dey fear me, make dem no go use my words against me later. Any input from you?

See the screenshot of her response...

I'd respond and say primarily for study however, you're also open to work opportunities that would enable you have a practical application for your proposed study.

That way, you confirm that your main aim is study

5 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by noblemed: 2:36pm On Oct 25, 2022
Hello guys. For showing proof of fund through 6 month bank statement while applying for a PhD in New Zealand. I want to know if I can use a friend as sponsor. Am currently applying and I my friend is willing to sponsor my living expenses while I take up other expenses.

How do I best communicate this during visa application to avoid any issues.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by SuppoOmoo: 8:13pm On Oct 25, 2022
Ticha:

I'd respond and say primarily for study however, you're also open to work opportunities that would enable you have a practical application for your proposed study.

Thanks for this ma'am.

I already did and she replied me showing willingness to have me come under her mentorship.

Another Prof also did show interest in my proposed study.

These people reply mails within 24hrs.

We haven't talked about scholarships though.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Hamza05(m): 8:53am On Oct 26, 2022
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Hamza05(m): 8:57am On Oct 26, 2022
Hello
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Hamza05(m): 8:58am On Oct 26, 2022
SuppoOmoo:
Hello everyone.

I am new on this thread and I want to humbly request inputs of sabi people.

I hold a BSc Economics (2,1) and Professional Masters Degree in Disaster Risk Management. (non-thesis option) (2,1). I do have student copy transcripts for both degrees.

I work with department of Corrections here in Nigeria and was recently appointed as a Restorative Justice Officer. I am finding my new task very interesting as it is result-oriented it involves helping people under incarceration via mediating for them which often result to their eventual release from the custody. I do this free of charge and I have worked on a number of cases successfully. So, I am considering a formal career along this path and the thought of enrolling for a Masters degree in RJ came. However, the university I searched, VUW does not offer Master's in RJ, it only offers PgCert in RJ and a PhD. I am still searching other Universities, anyway.

Another program I have always had in mind before now is a PhD in Disaster Management since I already have a Master degree in it.

Now my question is are these two fields of study sellable in New Zealand?
Which one would you advice for me suppose I am your brother?

Master's degree in Restorative Justice since I have job experience in it or a PhD in Disaster Management since I have Master's Degree?

Thanks.

Hello, I enjoyed reading your profile. I am a lawyer interested in a career in Correctional service. I run a program booksforinmates where I send books to Nigerian prisons.
You can check me out here instagram.com/booksforinmates
Thank you.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by bola01234: 6:56pm On Nov 03, 2022
Sunshine2018:

Please how do I go about it? I want to apply for February 2023 intake. Thanks
Pls help me as well...
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by plantprincess: 1:13am On Nov 19, 2022
Hello everyone, please I need your help. I recently got admission to study in NZ and will like to make some confirmation.
1. Can I do the police certificate for a visa in any other place aside from Lagos?
2. Can I apply for a visa at the same time as my daughter and husband or wait till after my visa is given?

2 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ichabodcrane(m): 6:50am On Nov 19, 2022
plantprincess:
Hello everyone, please I need your help. I recently got admission to study in NZ and will like to make some confirmation.
1. Can I do the police certificate for a visa in any other place aside from Lagos?
2. Can I apply for a visa at the same time as my daughter and husband or wait till after my visa is given?
You can apply for the police certificate online.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by plantprincess: 9:03pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ichabodcrane:

You can apply for the police certificate online.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

Please is there any answer to the second question? Can I apply for my visa and my daughter's visa at the same time (shes 4 years old)?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by DelePhd: 10:41pm On Nov 20, 2022
plantprincess:

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

Please is there any answer to the second question? Can I apply for my visa and my daughter's visa at the same time (shes 4 years old)?

Yes, you can apply at once. Indicate that you are applying as a group in your visa application.

3 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by peze: 10:29pm On Nov 25, 2022
DelePhd:

Yes, you can apply at once. Indicate that you are applying as a group in your visa application.

Thanks for all help and responses. I got a PhD offer @Massey University without scholarship and intend to apply for student visa together with my wife. Please does indicating to apply as a couple in my visa application automatically increases the NZD 20,000 required POF?
Secondly, what exchange rate can be used to determine POF equivalent in Naira, as at today.

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by DelePhd: 10:52pm On Nov 28, 2022
peze:

Thanks for all help and responses. I got a PhD offer @Massey University without scholarship and intend to apply for student visa together with my wife. Please does indicating to apply as a couple in my visa application automatically increases the NZD 20,000 required POF?
Secondly, what exchange rate can be used to determine POF equivalent in Naira, as at today.

Congratulations. I think the NZD 20,000 is in order, 15K for you and about 5K for your spouse. Use the official rate not black market.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by noblemed: 12:23pm On Nov 29, 2022
peze:

Hello, can we connect. I also got a PhD admission although in Lincoln University and intend to apply for visa alongside my wife.

For the second question asked. I believe you can find it on INZ website. But from my research and enquiry. You need 20,000NZ$ for your POF which has to be in your account 6 month before applying while your partner needs to show a fund of $NZ4,200 inclusive if your partner is applying for a work visa.
You can find the details in the INZ link below
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/criteria/special-work-visa-for-partners-of-student-visa-holders?nationality=nationality-NGA&country=residence-NGA
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by noblemed: 12:28pm On Nov 29, 2022
Am open to connecting and sharing views with any prospective students going to study in NZ next year. I got a PhD admission to Lincoln University (self funding) and looking for any student we could share our journey towards applying for visa.

3 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by peze: 8:47am On Dec 04, 2022
DelePhd:

Congratulations. I think the NZD 20,000 is in order, 15K for you and about 5K for your spouse. Use the official rate not black market.

Okay, thanks for your response and assistance.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by peze: 8:49am On Dec 04, 2022
noblemed:

Hello, can we connect. I also got a PhD admission although in Lincoln University and intend to apply for visa alongside my wife.

For the second question asked. I believe you can find it on INZ website. But from my research and enquiry. You need 20,000NZ$ for your POF which has to be in your account 6 month before applying while your partner needs to show a fund of $NZ4,200 inclusive if your partner is applying for a work visa.
You can find the details in the INZ link below
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/criteria/special-work-visa-for-partners-of-student-visa-holders?nationality=nationality-NGA&country=residence-NGA
Congratulations! Sure, lets connect please.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by plantprincess: 9:40am On Dec 04, 2022
Hi, nice to meet. I also got admission for University of Canterbury for 2023 intake. Its good to get connected, how far have you gone with visa and other stuff?

noblemed:
Am open to connecting and sharing views with any prospective students going to study in NZ next year. I got a PhD admission to Lincoln University (self funding) and looking for any student we could share our journey towards applying for visa.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by plantprincess: 10:39am On Dec 04, 2022
is any of you applying for your visa yourself or using an agent?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Sanyiicrown(m): 7:13pm On Dec 04, 2022
Please can someone talk about NZL visit visa please?

Is there a possibility of getting a job while on visit visa?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 9:50pm On Dec 04, 2022
Sanyiicrown:
Please can someone talk about NZL visit visa please?

Is there a possibility of getting a job while on visit visa?

It depends on your skill set. It is relatively easy to change visas on country so that's a plus.

Visit visa - a close family member of mine has just received an approved visit visa. They're applied on the 6th of Sept. Received an acknowledgement sometime in Nov. They also requested a high res scan of their passport pages. Visa as issued 2nd of Dec for a year validity but 6 months max time in country within that time. So it took about 4 months. I think the time frame will get shorter. All was completed online.

I sent an invitation letter detailing our relationship and that I would be responsible for their accommodation. They attached letters from employers, 6 months bank statements (for both of them), our mortgage documents and a cover letter about why they want to visit.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by rokana: 1:26pm On Dec 07, 2022
What happen to this tred?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by daylaysongs: 10:34pm On Dec 07, 2022
Please i need to as some questions here...
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by daylaysongs: 10:44pm On Dec 07, 2022
DelePhd:

sorry for quoting you please...have got bsc.edu in political science(2.2) which option can i explore to migrate to newzealand and i heard of vocational studies also,hope the tuition fee is not that expensive as pgd and masters programme..just need some enlightment please..seeking for greener pasture ni ooo
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by daylaysongs: 10:51pm On Dec 07, 2022
Ticha:

which option do you think i can explore in migrating to newzealand with a 2.2 in political science(edu) nah greener pasture i they find ooo..thank you
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 12:06am On Dec 08, 2022
daylaysongs:
which option do you think i can explore in migrating to newzealand with a 2.2 in political science(edu) nah greener pasture i they find ooo..thank you

Your best bet as usual is the study route unless of course you have marriage to a Kiwi on the cards.

Aim for courses that lead to occupations on the green list - https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/work-and-employment/green-list-occupations

If you can't do that, then look through www.seek.co.nz - filter by income ($110k) is a good rule of thumb for a reasonable standard of living in Auckland, Welly and Hamilton. See the roles that come up, find a course that fits and go study one of those.

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by daylaysongs: 12:27am On Dec 08, 2022
Ticha:

Your best bet as usual is the study route unless of course you have marriage to a Kiwi on the cards.

Aim for courses that lead to occupations on the green list - https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/work-and-employment/green-list-occupations

If you can't do that, then look through www.seek.co.nz - filter by income ($110k) is a good rule of thumb for a reasonable standard of living in Auckland, Welly and Hamilton. See the roles that come up, find a course that fits and go study one of those.

Good luck!
thank you very much for reply,but the tuition fee some of the school i check up are very expensive nz$27000 or so and more self and you must pay once dats kinda mean not even imstallmentally is there any school cheaper than that amount or better still how about the vocational programme of a thing is it expensive also and with that my 2.2 in polititcal science(edu)can i study for masters direct or pgd first
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 1:43am On Dec 08, 2022
daylaysongs:
thank you very much for reply,but the tuition fee some of the school i check up are very expensive nz$27000 or so and more self and you must pay once dats kinda mean not even imstallmentally is there any school cheaper than that amount or better still how about the vocational programme of a thing is it expensive also and with that my 2.2 in polititcal science(edu)can i study for masters direct or pgd first

NZ education is expensive. Fees are much of a muchness regardless of the level. You will find a degree qual is as expensive as a post graduate qualification. Only PhDs are cheap at about $7k ish and you will need very strong academic and employment skills to even get a PhD supervisor.
There are 8 universities and only a handful of colleges offer post graduate quals so it doesn't have the glut of education providers that other countries have. You will struggle to get any vocational qual admission or even a visa to study a vocational qualification.
The visit visa rules allows for upto 3 months of study but you will still have to show a substantial amount of money/ income/ ties to your home country to be granted a visit visa.

Basically, if you have NZ on your radar, be prepared to spend

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (51) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada-part2 / On Vacation: New York City / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.