Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

Single Lady - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Single Lady (24043 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Single Lady by chistar01(m): 12:26am On Oct 04, 2013
eyezik3: If u work hard u go be like my guy chistar01 na confirm guy ooo, anyway nice work:*
am humbled sir.
@ms spaq, I see you.
@ruby - nice update. I can relate to that 'school being scanty' around exam periods.
Re: Single Lady by Rubyspice: 6:58am On Oct 04, 2013
I gasped and almost jumped out of my skin in fear. This was the first time I was experiencing a robbery attack. For once, not hearing people talk about it but seeing it happen life. It was alot scarier than I would have ever thought. Having some men with guns, probably illiterates determine the longevity of your life span by the degree of how well you co-operate. Thank Goodness I had gotten up to pee when I did, I cannot imagine being in that hall and threatened by thieves. As I stood outside, thoughts clouded my mind. So many 'what ifs' and silent prayers embedded into one. I held on to Emeka's hand so tightly that I was sure I had cut off his blood circulation, I was scared to the bones. We stood there and could hear them bark out orders while they collected valuable items from 'jacking' students. Then I remembered the security men.

'Some of them should be on night duty. They should be able to help.' I thought

I told Emeka of my idea but he chuckled and replied;
'the man on duty most night is so elderly and it would be unfair to put him such stress. He can never handle this hardened criminals atleast not with the battery powered torch-light he owns as his only weapon. Abeg leave papa out of this.

I almost laughed aloud, forgetting the present predicament we were in but I was reminded by another gun shot sound as the robbers left the hall. They didn't go through where they came from this time but they had decided to pass through the bush where I and Emeka were hiding. As the bikes rode towards us, I held Emeka shivering in panic as I mouthed; 'what do we do now?'
I quickly made a prayer to God begging him to see me through and making a whole bunch of promises when he did.

Emeka just pulled me deeper into the bushes and embraced me to stop me from fidgeting. I had almost had an heart attack as the bikes zoomed off pass us. My chest heaved in relief and only then did I notice the environment we were in and became panic-stricken again. After guns, I think I dreaded snakes much more than any other thing.

Emeka soon lead us out of the bush and back into the hall. The place was bustling with noise as people exchanged their different versions of the event. Some girls were crying over the lose of their phones and other items of value. I still had my phone on me since I went with it to pee. I was so grateful because it could have been worse. 'what if my phone had rang as the robbers passed the bushes where we were hiding?' well, the storm was over and I was safe again. I obviously wouldn't be able to concentrate again or pretend to read with the way I was feeling. I knew deep down I was never ever coming for a night class. I just sat there and moped into space, Emeka moved close to me and held me in his arms. He understood the fact that I didn't want to talk atleast not yet so he just held me there. He had his back against a wall while I had my head on his chest listening to the sound of his heart beat. For some strange reasons, it had a calming effect on me. By this time, it was 4:15am and I soon drifted off to sleep.

As I slept, my overly active and partially traumatised subconscious tormented me with different worse scenarios of the incident. Most of them ended with me covered in blood or worse. I could hear someone calling my name softly. 'who could that be?' I listened carefully as I drifted back to reality and opened my eyes. Emeka was still holding me and he was looking at me with deep concern written on his face. Then he said;
'you were talking in your sleep. I'm sorry, its all my fault. I suggested this whole thing and now everything just went wrong. Were you having nightmares about the incident?' he asked finally. I nodded in affirmation and said;
'don't blame your self. You couldn't have known they were coming tonight. We were not in here when it all happened, atleast we are safe. I would get over it with time, I am just a little shaken. I would be fine.'

My words seemed to have made him feel better because he just held me closer and just kept looking at me. He cuddled me for a long time without saying anything and once again I wanted to sleep but was too scared. I just closed my eyes and let my thoughts drift to happier events but it was hard ignoring the obvious present. Soon I heard Emeka's voice again;
'I like the way you feel in my arms.' and he continued;

'I'm really sorry I put you in danger. We could read at my place next time, I'm sure my roommate would mind much.'

I just mumbled a reply and tried to sleep again.

It was almost 5:30am in the morning as the students parked their books to leave to their various residents, so much for over night reading. I'm sure people like me who were first timers wouldn't be trying it again in a long time and would manage their rooms.

Emeka and I had connected in a way I couldn't have guessed was possible. He was there with me all through and knew just what to do and when to do it. He was my hero, and my very own knight in shiny armour.

3 Likes

Re: Single Lady by Rubyspice: 7:00am On Oct 04, 2013
This was ready yesterday buh network these days is just so crappy. Thanks y'all
Re: Single Lady by johnwizey: 11:46am On Oct 04, 2013
Tanx dearie for dat lovely update. Dont mind d netwrk,dey are enemy of progress. More grease to ur elbow
Re: Single Lady by Rubyspice: 2:06pm On Oct 04, 2013
johnwizey: Tanx dearie for dat lovely update. Dont mind d netwrk,dey are enemy of progress. More grease to ur elbow
tanx dear
Re: Single Lady by Winnie1950(f): 2:16pm On Oct 04, 2013
I've been a silent reader ever since the beginning of this story but i have now decided to comment. All i can say is that you are very good and promising writer because this is your first attempt and your doing it well. Keep up the good work
Re: Single Lady by adisa204(m): 2:28pm On Oct 04, 2013
All i have to say is BRAVO!BRAVO!!BRAVO!!!.Cant wait for the next update.just stumbled on this piece an hour ago
Re: Single Lady by zenie(f): 2:29pm On Oct 04, 2013
Tnx 4d update dear,u doing pretty well kiss
Re: Single Lady by Kslib(m): 2:38pm On Oct 04, 2013
Nice..
Trust me,you are doing a very good job..
I am enjoying your work.
Re: Single Lady by horlabhympey: 3:31pm On Oct 04, 2013
kissNice story,am really glued 2 it,update soon kiss
Re: Single Lady by kingphilip(m): 3:43pm On Oct 04, 2013
Still following
Re: Single Lady by jovialjov(f): 6:59pm On Oct 04, 2013
Kslib: Nice..
Trust me,you are doing a very good job..
I am enjoying your work.

Err...I think you forgot something here
Re: Single Lady by Kslib(m): 7:07pm On Oct 04, 2013
jovialjov:
Err...I think you forgot something here
Hahaha!! Nice one.

At first i was confused by later figured out what you meant..

By the way,it was an omission on purpose,dear. wink wink
All izz well!

1 Like

Re: Single Lady by Harmonyemerald(f): 7:27pm On Oct 04, 2013
Nice write up, I have been a silent reader but one update daily isn't enough especially after such a long time u took before u updated
Re: Single Lady by Rubyspice: 6:59am On Oct 06, 2013
Awww, so much love. 'ori mi wu'. Thank you all. The reason behind the slow update is, I type my updates with my phone and now the phone is acting up and when it isn't, network just takes over. Some dark forces are doing vigil over the thing but I'm trying my best. Thank you all for reading please keep reading and you could tell your friends too about 'single lady'. Thanks
Re: Single Lady by Rubyspice: 7:00am On Oct 06, 2013
Emeka and I grew closer after that robbery incident. I became free with him, we could talk for hours about anything and nothing ranging from colours to types of fart. I laughed often around him because we had almost the same sense of humour and he just got what I meant even before I finished certain sentences. We had the type of friendship people craved for and thought it twice before trading off.

I knew Emeka cared and he obviously wanted more than I was giving but I couldn't. I was scared of trying something new because I could let my self trust him. I had this mindset that if I let my guard down around him for even a second, things would just come crashing down. I liked what we had and was scared of losing it if 'more' failed so I just 'guarded my heart with all diligence because out of it flows the issues of life.' Even the bible told us so.
I know my thinking could be a little twisted but you can't blame me much, I hold onto what I can vouch for.

Exams were to start in a week and preparations got more intense than ever. People I knew that didn't attend lectures nor have notes were seen at odd places around school apparently reading. We were told the week before exams was a 'lecture free week' but the lecturers ignore the fact and came anyways. I had become the newly ordained 'effico' and attended each one of those lectures whether they made sense or not, I just found my self in the background of the class. The notes were more than voluminous and I needed AOC (area of concentration), so I attended each one and after each lectures the students would scream randomly;
'sir AOC please.'
and we got the same response each time.

'read your notes from the beginning to the end.'

Mean lecturers, it took them months to teach those topics and some are still teaching or blabbing and we were supposed to be ready by weekend in time for monday's paper.

Caroline came to see me the weekend before exams, I hadn't seen her since the exam 'fever' started.
'hey Jenny Jenny, how you na?' she said

'sisi Caro, yellow sisi. Na you scarce pass NEPA like this? You just abandon your girl. 'ko da o.' 'I teased and chipped in the small yoruba phrase I knew which meant 'its not good.'

'No be so dear. I've been running around arranging for this exam.' she said

'yeh!! Caroline Chioma Okafor has been reading. Now, that's a new one.' I teased

'wetyn you come mean? Well, I said arranging not reading. Gst dey give you problem?' she asked
I just laughed and she continued;
'I been dey find who go help me write this exam. Babe, I can't shout. I have only two options and one goal. I must pass and I must not fail and the goal na admission. No dulling when my name no be dullina.' she said
I looked at her like she had two heads, like an alien. I can't believe what she had just told me.

'what if you get caught? Even if you don't, do you plan to pay your way through school? Person wey no fit write pre-degree exam na e final year exam e go fit do?' I asked. I was obviously pissed with her decision to pay a 'merchinery' to write for her. Then I continued to say;
'you are a smart girl. Na just laziness and fear dey work you. I could help.'

'e do. See me and preaching o. I don tell you what's up, take it or leave it. I just told you because you be my paddy.' she replied

'ok, na your own be that. I know say you fit do better.' I said

'Jenny baby don turn evangelist o but leave this work for my pastor. If I go church, e go tell me. Like joke Deedee don do work for your body. See hope and preaching o. Halleluyah somebody.' she teased

I rolled my eyes and before long we had changed the topic to something else as I gisted her about what has been happening to me.

3 Likes

Re: Single Lady by kingphilip(m): 2:48pm On Oct 06, 2013
As u don gist her finish come gist us jare
Re: Single Lady by Kslib(m): 5:35pm On Oct 06, 2013
Smh @caroline. Nice one ruby,we dey your back,gidigba.
All izz well!
Re: Single Lady by adisa204(m): 11:26pm On Oct 06, 2013
Kslib: Smh @caroline. Nice one ruby,we dey your back,gidigba.
All izz well!
And i now pronounce you MR ALL IS WELL.Ooops ruby nice one,me dey expect more
Re: Single Lady by usmolad(m): 9:20am On Oct 10, 2013
hmm! Let me break my silence, i'm realy enjoying your write up but i decided not to comment until now that you are making me salivating for it. So, i'm expecting your next update. Dearie, keep it up.
Re: Single Lady by mesther96(f): 10:11am On Oct 11, 2013
wow,nice story,kiss
Re: Single Lady by Wesslier(m): 7:47am On Oct 12, 2013
Av bin away 4 so long and Guess i've missed so much on nairaland. Well am back so ride on.
Re: Single Lady by teewai3(m): 5:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
wow..ruby spice..you are gud!!!.nice story,am a silent reader,but i just have to say this "you are a gud writer"..keep it up.MORE UPDATE PLS
Re: Single Lady by Jumizie13(f): 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2013
More more more
Re: Single Lady by kingphilip(m): 6:50pm On Oct 18, 2013
Rubyspice sup, wats going on now hope u are alright sha because its really been long u made it online
Re: Single Lady by Smhart1(f): 7:13am On Oct 24, 2013
What is happening to single lady #curious#
Re: Single Lady by chistar01(m): 8:51am On Oct 24, 2013
Smhart1: What is happening to single lady #curious#
emailed her and she said she has been really busy.. Like REALLY! Haven't had time for her self in a long while sad
Re: Single Lady by tbabstobadt(m): 8:55am On Oct 24, 2013
chistar01: emailed her and she said she has been really busy.. Like REALLY! Haven't had time for her self in a long while sad

happy buff day to u boss...av a blast
Re: Single Lady by Smhart1(f): 12:02pm On Oct 24, 2013
chistar01: emailed her and she said she has been really busy.. Like REALLY! Haven't had time for her self in a long while sad
thank you. was so curious 'cause is onlike her. I did sent her a pm but couldn't read her reply because my mobile mail crashed. Tried messaging her again but she's yet to reply btw HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHISTAR........GGMUB...make sure you send my cake
Re: Single Lady by bukkylicious: 12:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
grin grin av bin Ą̸̸̸ silent reader but mehn  gat †̥ comment ; Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ A̶̲̥̅®ε̲̣̣̣̥ doing Ą̸̸̸ great job.........but abeg con update na ..........#waiting#

1 Like

Re: Single Lady by m003: 9:56pm On Oct 27, 2013
nice piece of work if u work hard you might be like oga coolval chistar and KMJ mean while *in ryback's voice FEED ME MORE*
Re: Single Lady by gal10(f): 11:56pm On Oct 29, 2013
Wow I just stumbled on your work this night and couldn't put it aside, finally finished it and expecting more! You are a great writer no doubts, and for a first work this is great! Kudos dearie!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Sex With My Mathematics Teacher … (18+) / Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny / Untitled Fiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.