Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,216 members, 7,815,251 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

African Culture Is Dying! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Culture Is Dying! (15847 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Western Culture Vs African Culture / Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 15, 2013
Change is the only constant, am glad we've accepted changed.

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by onila(f): 1:18pm On Sep 15, 2013
African culture is so sweet and enjoyable. .its sad is considered evil
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by GHKWAME(m): 1:46pm On Sep 15, 2013
onila: African culture is so sweet and enjoyable. .its sad its considered evil
Let's face it, some aspects of african culture are Babaric.
Which of the ff is holy? »»»
Severing seven heads when a chief dies?(Though they will swear they have stopped)
Female genitile mutilation?
Tribal marks?
The list are endless.

4 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Fulaman198(m): 4:09pm On Sep 15, 2013
GH KWAME:
Severing seven heads when a chief dies?(Though they will swear they have stopped)
Tribal marks?
The list are endless.

Stop being mumu, which culture does not have barbarism?

There is nothing wrong with ethnic marks, in a way they are like tattoos. Female genital mutilation? You mean circumcision? Again that's a cultural thing which is opinion but I don't support. You sound so westernized. Are you one of those Africans who wishes they were European? Africa's biggest problem is lack of self-pride and to be who they are..

2 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by onila(f): 4:16pm On Sep 15, 2013
GH KWAME:
Tribal marks?
The list are endless.

human sacrifices is not common any longer. .although some tribes still do it in secret tho undecided
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by onila(f): 4:18pm On Sep 15, 2013
GH KWAME:
Tribal marks?
The list are endless.

we have to keep on modifying our culture

like in America, homosexuality is accepted. .is that not evil or wrong

but in Africa, we don't accept homosexuality
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by seedord247(m): 5:00pm On Sep 15, 2013
spongeback: Change is the only constant, am glad we've accepted changed.

What is this one saying.. Do you read the post all?

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 15, 2013
onila: cry cry its sad that I wont be able to show and teach my children abt my culture again
I grew up playing with masquerades, going to the village every christmas

the average Nigerian child that grew up in the urban areas cant speak their language any longer cry cry

now everything is consider evil

this modern life not sweet at all . .but i have to follow the new world, to be on the safe side

You would have used your language.So unromantic when a lady is battling with grammar.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by hypergig(m): 5:07pm On Sep 15, 2013
It's dead already, we made a mess of it ourselves.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by demelza: 5:12pm On Sep 15, 2013
This is sadly one of the bane of Africa.
We take absolute delight in upgrading and embracing other cultures to the detriment of ours.
Look at countries like India, China etc, that hold on tightly to their culture and are even exporting it abroad. There is no country in the world where Chinese are resident that you wont see a China town. Chinese and Indian cuisines are some of the in-thing around the world.
Go to our universities and see youths claiming Ajebo because they cant speak their language when they should be hiding their face in shame.
We act as if we were the only ones colonized.
Its really sad.

7 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 15, 2013
What's "African culture" and when did African become a country? undecided

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by vladimiros: 5:14pm On Sep 15, 2013
its not dying it never died

its people lie you OP who have a One Dimensional look to our culture

everything Modernizes.. look deeper
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by donniemc: 5:14pm On Sep 15, 2013
Its not only us.
Every tribe in the world would eventually loose their culture.We are moving towards a global community,a global culture.Where there would be only one tribe,only one religion,only one currency and only one Goverment.Friends its the return to BABEL
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by creativemusic: 5:18pm On Sep 15, 2013
yes grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by ThaProphet(m): 5:23pm On Sep 15, 2013
onila: cry cry its sad that I wont be able to show and teach my children abt my culture again

the average Nigerian child that grew up in the urban areas cant speak their language any longer cry cry

now everything is consider evil

this modern life not sweet at all . .but i have to follow the new world, to be on the safe side

Please allow me to be a a$$hole for just 1 minute.

"Going to the village every Chritmas" is killing Afrikan culture. grin

Seriously though, I agree with you but I disagree on the playing it safe part. If you really want to raise your children to appreciate Afrikan culture, you can do it. If you don't do it, it is not any other person's fault.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Olaone1: 5:29pm On Sep 15, 2013
African culture? Yet this girl mentioned Christmas?

African culture when y'all are now Christians and Muslims? The cachet of the said culture was lost long long ago, dear.

Or did your great grand father know about Christianity and Islam?

BTW, wetin your pastor talk today? Some culture, that! undecided

4 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Andyblaze: 5:35pm On Sep 15, 2013
Doing my ph.d abroad has killed the culture?

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by victorazy(m): 5:36pm On Sep 15, 2013
Let it die cuz is of no use
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by crackhaus: 5:43pm On Sep 15, 2013
It's quite difficult to say this, but truth is, the generation of Nigerians born from 1980-present are the ones leaning more towards a westernized form of living. Like a friend said, a lot of COCONUTS(brown/black outside, white on the inside) have been born within this period and will continue to be.

Then again, if you look at it objectively, Culture is inversely proportional to Modernization. In other words, in predominatly Modernized societies worldwide, Culture is usually at its least though not completely eliminated.

If there was a possibility in Nigeria that we become a predominatly Modernized Nation, then Culture will have to take a back seat...that's just the way it is.

We can't choose to stay completely Modernized and still want to retain a strong Cultural heritage. Countries like Japan, China, and India with very rich Cultural history have been able to balance their need to fit into the Modern world while at the same time retaining a bit of their old Culture, but we all know where this leaves them on the global ladder of dominance.

Last point, language is a really big problem in Nigeria, just because we have much more ethnicities than I can count, and it's not like they sound alike...this is why I believe the only universal language in Nigeria is Pidgin.
Tribalism is the bane of Nigeria's existence!

I hope I made a bit of sense with the long talk, but the whole point of it regarding this topic is, for a country to become Civilized/Modernized to a certain extent, its Cultural heritage will have to be relegated to an extent as well.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by takeprofit: 5:47pm On Sep 15, 2013
hw about dress code, language, respect for elders?
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by GHKWAME(m): 5:48pm On Sep 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

(1) Stop being mumu, which culture does not have barbarism?

(2) There is nothing wrong with ethnic marks, in a way they are like tattoos. Female genital mutilation? You mean circumcision? Again that's a cultural thing which is opinion but I don't support. You sound so westernized. Are you one of those Africans who wishes they were European? (3) Africa's biggest problem is lack of self-pride and to be who they are..

(1) You know, there is a reason why Westeners reserved Bush Man to the black man, and you just proved it. Must you resort to name calling to make your point?

(2) You call Scarring someone deliberately for life tatoo? A decision an individual's 0pinion is not considered? Tribal marks by definition is to identify ones ethnicity. I guess you don't know that people's throats have been slit 0pen depending on the number of strokes on an individuals cheeks.
The civil wars in Africa are largely Tribal wars.

(3) Each year African governments spend lavishly on Independence celeberations and scream Freedom the next thing they are threatening retaliation 0n immigration policies by the western countries to stem migration.
I won't beat my chest when I know that the African c0ntinent is in a sorry state.
If by pointing 0ut the flaws in our barbaric culture I am called a Westener, then so be it.
The African Culture is Backward.

2 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by redsun(m): 5:50pm On Sep 15, 2013
ferdimako:

You would have used your language.So unromantic when a lady is battling with grammar.

Your type are the reason why african culture is dying out fast,zombies.Is it oyinbo language she is hammering about or fundamental issues of why africans are evolving backward?Of Why africans like you tend to regard the irrelevants as relevants?

3 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by GHKWAME(m): 5:58pm On Sep 15, 2013
onila:

human sacrifices is not common any longer. .although some tribes still do it in secret tho undecided
Exactly my p0int! I believe its done in secret.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by ThaProphet(m): 5:59pm On Sep 15, 2013
crackhaus: It's quite difficult to say this, but truth is, the generation of Nigerians born from 1980-present are the ones leaning more towards a westernized form of life. Like someone rightly said, a lot of COCONUTS(brown/black outside, white inside) have been born within this period and they will continue to be.

Then again, if you think of it objectively, Culture is inversely proportional to Civilization. In other words, in predominatly civilized societies world-wide, culture is usually at its least though not completely eliminated.

If there's a possibility in Nigeria that we become a predominatly civilized nation, then Culture will definitely have to take a back seat...that's just the way it is.

We can't choose to stay completely civilized and still want to retain a strong cultural heritage. Countries like Japan, China, and India with a very rich cultural history have been able to balance their need to fit into the modern world while at the same time retaining a bit of their old cultures but we all know where this leaves them in the global ladder of dominance.

And one last point, language is a big problem in Nigeria, just because we have much more ethnicities than I can count, and its not like they even sound alike...this is why to me, I believe that the only universal language in Nigeria is Pidgin.

I hope I made a little bit of sense with this my long talk but the whole point of it regarding this topic is, for a country to become Civilized to a certain extent, its Cultural heritage will have to be relegated to an extent as well.

Good post! However, what is "civilization"? The common term "western civilization" implies that civilization is not exclusively western or European. That said, I think civilization is usually based on core sets of beliefs i.e. culture. There have been many civilizations before this Western model. Modern Western Civilization that is dominating the world today is based on European culture even though parts of that culture is suffering.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Uwakuwak(f): 6:07pm On Sep 15, 2013
nikkyshyne: shocked shocked shocked So freaky. I hope I havnt patronised any Naija's restaurant that may have done this. shocked shocked shocked
are they spirit being? i reject such demonstration
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by ozoemeka(m): 6:07pm On Sep 15, 2013
Hey quick question, can you clarify to me what an "Island boy" is?

now everything is considered evil

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Blackteeth(m): 6:11pm On Sep 15, 2013
Let African culture die!! Is it not the culture that Africans are practising that made them underdeveloped with poverty, disease and hunger?

4 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by redsun(m): 6:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
GH KWAME:
Exactly my p0int! I believe its done in secret.

Human sacrifices in present day are carried out by the politicians and the rest of the subcreatures in nigeria that thinks power and money could be acquired by spilling another human blood.

At the time our fore fathers must have been doing that,the same thing was happening in the tower of london by the same oyinbos that gave us "civilization"
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by musaajebor(m): 6:15pm On Sep 15, 2013
So u ate just finding out? The worst hit among African culture is language with almost a thousand languages on the brink of extinction. Take Nigeria for example . In the north the predominant language is hausa. It is spoken by the kanuri,kataf,nupe, gwari,birom,tangale etc.hence making the use of these languges relegated to back then in the sixties.the only regions in Nigeria which is not affected by these trend is the south east and the south west where a few locales still speak their mother tongue to their children despite the widespread use of pidgin. The n.d.also is not left pout of the equation because of the widespread use of pidgin instead of rthe local dialect.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by crackhaus: 6:16pm On Sep 15, 2013
ThaProphet:

Good post! However, what is "civilization"? The common term "western civilization" implies that civilization is not exclusively western or European. That said, I think civilization is usually based on core sets of beliefs i.e. culture. There have been many civilizations before this Western model. Modern Western Civilization that is dominating the world today is based on European culture even though parts of that culture is suffering.
You're right, I just modified my original post from CIVILIZATION to MODERNIZATION. After reading through what I originally posted, I agreed with you...since civilization has always been in existence, modernization would be a better word referencing the world as it is now.

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Rossikk(m): 6:16pm On Sep 15, 2013
nikkyshyne: shocked shocked shocked

So freaky. I hope I havnt patronised any Naija's restaurant that may have done this.

shocked shocked shocked

You're an idio.t.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Funny Names Zambian And Namibian Parents Give Their Children (photos) / Misunderstanding Anambra Igbo Dialect / Selection Of New Mai Tangale Turns Violent As Gombe Govt Imposes 24-Hour Curfew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.