Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

African Culture Is Dying! - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Culture Is Dying! (15850 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Western Culture Vs African Culture / Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by macof(m): 4:26pm On Sep 19, 2013
GH KWAME:

You are very stewpid, fooolish boy it is your useless family who have been frustrated all their lives. Senseless being trying to be a hero, was it your father that was insulted? Or is it that you are a B.astard and long for a father?
You that you did not have western education, why are you typing in english and not grazing or farming?

First wat training did ur parents give u? am sure u were adopted or ur parents have been so negligent in ur case. whether it was my father that was insulted or not he is old enough to be ur father maybe even older, is dat how u insult ur parents at home? am sure u find no fault in ur attitude, I have met people like u and they never end well. If u hate Africa so much u should change ur username to "Uk Johnson" or something of the sort, or even delete ur nairaland account cause its all about Africa. Relocate to Europe or America to live with ur gracious and godly masters AND NEVER COME BACK.

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 19, 2013
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by GHKWAME(m): 4:31pm On Sep 19, 2013
Fulaman198:

At this point you are just completely shooting out of your hip or making generalisations. First and foremost, I don't care if western leaders come to Africa for vacation, there are a lot of westerners that attend the famous festival in the desert in nearby Mali. Why is it even important where westerners vacation. No one is denying the corruption in some African nations, I just find it extremely funny that you deny the daily corruption that occurs in Western countries. As I said human beings are not kind. There is no nation leader in the world today that is kind. If there is one, point them out. If there is a country or culture where corruption does not exist, point it out.

You are in a sorry state of mind! Keep on projecting your rich culture. Mtchewww!
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by GHKWAME(m): 4:39pm On Sep 19, 2013
Tumisang:

Swaziland has news agencies. I don't have to rely on the British media for information on my neighbours.

Thats what happens when you keep on copying and pasting articles without reading them first. Go back and reread your first reply then your second, only then would you know where what came from.

Speak for yourself. I only represent my country and tribe. For someone who abhor the typical African mentality you sure don't seem to have any problem embracing it now. Mswati is the King of Swaziland and not of Africa. Are there no chiefs in Ghana you can go pick on?

Hahahahahahah! Guy! You are in a world of your own! Check out my posts, I have always used the term African, I only used king swazi as a point of reference, you were the one who wanted to have a go at me.
Many of my outlined points relate to Ghana as well, Ghana does not have a Monarchy, we have many tribes in Ghana.
But dude, the African culture is Backward.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Fulaman198(m): 4:44pm On Sep 19, 2013
Anyways, this thread that Ms. Onila started has been derailed enough. Let us please get it back to its original topic about how African culture has been compromised. It has turned into more of a political talk than anything else.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by PAPAAFRICA: 5:17pm On Sep 19, 2013
GH KWAME:

If they believe in culture why don't they dispose of the modern accesories and live in mud huts?[/b]
Ghanian mudhut
grin

2 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by TerryCarr(m): 12:07am On Sep 20, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: Ghanian mudhut
grin
lol win grin
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by thoth: 1:30am On Sep 20, 2013
vv
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by thoth: 1:31am On Sep 20, 2013
GH KWAME:

(1) Yes, n0body's throat has been deliberately slit 0pen because 0f their tribal marks, so why the need for such a mark? Tribal marks was/is used as a means to identify friend from foe during tribal wars, and the number of strikes 0n your cheeks will determine whether you are relevant 0n earth.

(2) How long have our african governments complained about
brain drain among our professionals/skilled labour to the western countries?
Have we not as African citizens be cursing our leaders for sending their kids to western schools whilst neglecting our own?
Is this not the best opportunity to pounce on it?

(3) So if our economies are built to service the West, why pretend we are independent by spending lavishly every year in the name 0f Independence day when productivity can be achieved on a holiday?

The difference between our African governments and western governments is their ability to think outside the b0x. Ever seen Obama/Cameron take a holiday 0utside their respective c0untries before? Compare that to 0ur african leaders who have mansions in the western world.

We were cursing Cameron for lobbying our leaders to give legal backing to gays/lesbianism and said our culture
frowns on it, so what will you say if Cameron says immigration policies will be influenced by laws on gays/lesbians?

Have you not watched an african movie where the role of a young man in a village who has never travelled 0utside of his village but has l0cally acquired a western accent?

I will like you to debate for the purpose of enlightenment , none of us are here for word games and this is a very serious issue that we are addressing.

We can see how much effort you have put into twisting your former stance on tribal marks to the latest one about “the need for it”, someone would say you were trying to hard to sound modernized but I would rather agree that you are ignorant of your history and culture. Maybe we can make a list of questions we will like to ask including yours

What is the need for a tribal mark ?
What is the need for a tie ?
What is the need for wearing suit instead of danshiki ?
Why won't everybody wear the same clothes ?
What is the need for a tattoo ?
What is the need for a specific kind of hat when a single kind can serve all purposes ?
In fact what is the need for a name, an identity, a like and dislike ?

I know quite well that your question and the likes I presented above sound extremely silly but I have to resort to that to clarify to our readers(not necessary you) the meaning of culture and as I said “ it is what defines a people” .
A summary of those questions which would also be the height of 5tupidity is the question :
What is the need for Culture ?

You criticized the African leaders too well, however you can not perform a criticism in a vacuum, you can not extract the leaders and deliberately ignore the external influences which in most of the cases are the major factors that shaped the state of African leadership.
You ignore the European engineered coups, the sanctions, the western interventionist policies. You ignored that we had good democratically elected leaders which the west has Assassinated, you fail to appreciate the import of the fact that most of those leaders you talk about were imposed on the people by the same European and western imperialist nations which you praise and by their support and sometimes instructions those leaders has carried out unimaginable atrocities on their people. How you could see only African leaders in this very large picture and nobody else is quite shameful, some might use the word myopic....anyway you choose.

No true African will agree with you that Africa has actually gotten its independence, you can try to argue that with true scholars of African studies, you adoption of such views shows the extent you know about your self as an African since we won't be having the Cultural Erosion problem if Africa is truly independent.

Well...on your last question if Cameroon can clearly illustrate the relationship between homosexuality and immigration then we would have no means to object to his views.
As Fulaman rightly said, it would be very helpful if we can stay on topic as I myself has learnt a lot from the opinion of others on this thread concerning the Original Topic.

2 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by thoth: 4:03am On Sep 20, 2013
GH KWAME:

Yes I agree I goofed in that aspect, I wanted to modify it but it was already quoted. And please which roads? You want to convince me that proceeds from selling 0f cows would be used to construct roads? Who will cater cater for thirteen(13) wives and uncountable children?

(1) It was not a very good thing for the Eurpoeans to have dehumanised the black race, but before the Europeans came, the african was already conguering tibes and enslaving them, indeed they sold bartered their captured prisoners to the Europeans for rums, mirrors, guns etc.
Yes the Europeans dehumanised our ancestors, but why are their descendants not immigrating enmass to the continent of birth like the Israelis?
The pre and post african has done more dehumanization to the African than what the European did in a century.

(2) Western engineered? Hahaha!!!heheehe!!! The black man always blaming the white man.
Read European accounts of African encounters and you will see the roads I am talking about. Wide trade route was built by the Bini Kingdom from present Bini to as far as the coast of Ghana, One account plainly stated that the roads from the market to the queens house was thrice the width of the street in London. In those days the larger the family the greater the productive capability of that family, nobody takes care of the hundred wives, they take care of themselves and there is abundance to eat from. All family members were engaged in production and people were proud of their hard work instead of the destructive values being taught to us and promoted by the west.
The problem with the likes of you is not ignorance of the truth but an inherent hatred of your identity and the tendency to see bad in all shades of it with the assumption that by so doing you are in a certain mysterious way elevated above your perceived inferiority.

Evidently Africans took slaves from war as any other nation has done throughout the world history, the Romans were legendary on that aspect and their Barbary makes any African nation insignificant, the pre-roman Englishmen on the other hand was just pure barbaric and will eat their slaves alive,burn them on a stake or perform rituals to their many Gods with them.
However what we fail to see in your post was the nature of slavery in Africa before the European encounter and the changes brought about with the European encounter, we did not see where you stated the slavery increased hundred folds with the Europeans, we did not see where the Europeans arm bandits to overthrow chiefs who were against slave trade and then arm the village now under their puppets to raid other villages for slaves, we fail to see the clear distinct difference between the European and African slave Experience . Well you did not tell us anything, instead you just spewed forth the same filth that always comes from brainwashed Africans who knew little about their culture.

The black man is not blaming anybody for anything, truth is told as it is and quip which carry no value does not change anything.
A reference for you: Syria is a stable nation, then the USA armed Islamic terrorist and were trying to overran and overthrow the government of the people of Syria and impose sharia on them(not a bad thing but not advisable in a multi-religious and multi-ethnic society), the USA has been arming them, funding them, training them and providing intelligence for them to achieve their goals.
Now lets assume that they succeed and then the nation degenerate into anarchy as has happened in Libya, decades after decades of civil war and sectarian crisis.
Who would you blame for that then ? When it has been turned into a waste land. Who would you blame from turning a progressive peaceful nation into somewhere uninhabitable by sane human beings ?
Some sentence may sound cool to the ear but when examined closely becomes one the silliest statements an adult should ever make.

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by onila(f): 4:15am On Sep 20, 2013
Horus:

What does Christmas have to do with our culture?
going to the village to participate in cultural activities like masquerades, doing village things

these days many Nigerian youths rather spend their xmas in Abuja, Porttharcort and lagos rather than in their village
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by thoth: 4:32am On Sep 20, 2013
onila: going to the village to participate in cultural activities like masquerades, doing village things

these days many Nigerian youths rather spend their xmas in Abuja, Porttharcort and lagos rather than in their village

I noticed fewer youths participate in the masquerade movement. i remember early 80's to mid 90's the whole family use to go back to Nigeria just for the festivals, I am from Anambara but we use to visit Arondizuogu , Arochukwu, Nando and Umuoji, there use to be a very huge turnout then . now not so much.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by onila(f): 4:48am On Sep 20, 2013
thoth:

I noticed fewer youths participate in the masquerade movement. i remember early 80's to mid 90's the whole family use to go back to Nigeria just for the festivals, I am from Anambara but we use to visit Arondizuogu , Arochukwu, Nando and Umuoji, there use to be a very huge turnout then . now not so much.

now that dey are many protestant churches in Nigeria that preach against masquerades and all. .only few pple participate in masquerade shows

its so sad!

whats the point of going to the village if der are no more masquerades or cultural shows during christmas
I guess I will be going to the village for only burials or weddings
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by onila(f): 4:54am On Sep 20, 2013
now pastors tell the Nigerian youth. .you are not progressing because U watch masquerades undecided

you cant get married because you have been married to masquerades in the spirit world etc

u know pple believe everything their pastors say

2 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Nobody: 5:52am On Sep 20, 2013
I'm still cultured, I go down on my knees when I'm giving my man food cheesy
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by PAPAAFRICA: 6:54am On Sep 20, 2013
mondi_cheeks: I'm still cultured, I go down on my knees when I'm giving my man food cheesy
wtf

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Fulaman198(m): 6:56am On Sep 20, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: wtf

What does she mean by that? Is that appropriate talk?
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by PAPAAFRICA: 6:59am On Sep 20, 2013
^ I don't even know
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by thoth: 7:09am On Sep 20, 2013
onila: now pastors tell the Nigerian youth. .you are not progressing because U watch masquerades undecided

you cant get married because you have been married to masquerades in the spirit world etc

u know pple believe everything their pastors say

yeah i have noticed that , people are now told that many of their surnames binds them to evil spirit and you see many of your young men changing their family to ridiculous things like Collins,Mcpepple, Edwards,Moses and Joshua. one of my friends wife changed all her kids Igbo name to english with her belief that those names had links to backward spirits, she changed Ikechkwu to Godspower, Uchechukwu to Godswill and Chukwuebuka to Greatgod.It took the intervention of her family to stop my friend from divorcing her. she would not even speak Igbo with the kids and forces them to speak English at home.. .......I don't really understand how her pastor made her to believe that anything linked to her culture is evil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Fulaman198(m): 4:12pm On Sep 20, 2013
thoth:

yeah i have noticed that , people are now told that many of their surnames binds them to evil spirit and you see many of your young men changing their family to ridiculous things like Collins,Mcpepple, Edwards,Moses and Joshua. one of my friends wife changed all her kids Igbo name to english with her belief that those names had links to backward spirits, she changed Ikechkwu to Godspower, Uchechukwu to Godswill and Chukwuebuka to Greatgod.It took the intervention of her family to stop my friend from divorcing her. she would not even speak Igbo with the kids and forces them to speak English at home.. .......I don't really understand how her pastor made her to believe that anything linked to her culture is evil.

Wow, that's sad. People should never sell out their culture for a foreign one.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Nobody: 4:23pm On Sep 20, 2013
People are using Chinese as an example of those who keep to their culture as if they are not more Western than Africans in their approach to development. The streets of china are more western than any African nation. That is laughable of those who refused to get it that modernity is not about a particular culture but about moving forward and allow changes to have its way.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by macof(m): 8:06pm On Sep 20, 2013
thoth:

. Pentecostal churches No 1 enemy of African culture
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Nyumba(m): 9:25pm On Sep 20, 2013
How can we save CULTURE if we had NO CULTURE? sad

The ancient Kingdom of Rwanda had a considerable body of oral literature. The Sages themselves classified the traditional texts in two major categories: the more formal royal documents, which are described as "official tradition", and the non-formal, popular literature.

Royal literature refers to that body of knowledge enshrined in a set of documents, the creation, memorisation and preservation of which was officially regulated and promoted by the Kings of Rwanda. Responsibility for this heritage was entrusted to specific families, and handed down from one generation to the next, but always under the active supervision of the Kings.

Royal Literature:
Ubucurabwenge - a royal genealogical list
Ibitekerezo - a collection of royal myths
Ibisigo - a collection of royal poetry
Ubwiru - a set of royal rituals

Popular Literature:
Amateka y'Imiryango: histories of the major families of Rwanda
Ibyivugo: Self-praises and heroic poetry
Indirimbo z'Ingabo: heroic hymns and army music
Amazina y'inka ("Cow Names" ) : pastoral poetry
Imyasiro: hunting poetry
Imigani: proverbs and sayings
Ibisakuzo: riddles and enigmas
Inanga: songs by inanga musicians (Inanga is a traditional string instrument)
Songs: lullabies, love and praise songs, group work songs, etc.

and we had NO MUSIC

Mangbetu Harp

and NO ART at all undecided

Igbo Ukwu Vessel

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by thoth: 12:58am On Sep 21, 2013
all4naija: People are using Chinese as an example of those who keep to their culture as if they are not more Western than Africans in their approach to development. The streets of china are more western than any African nation. That is laughable of those who refused to get it that modernity is not about a particular culture but about moving forward and allow changes to have its way.
Sorry you are confusing Development with westernization. they are two different things and very distinct. We are talking about Culture here and Chinese are not as westernized as we are.

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Fulaman198(m): 2:12am On Sep 21, 2013
thoth:
Sorry you are confusing Development with westernization. they are two different things and very distinct. We are talking about Culture here and Chinese are not as westernized as we are.

That's extremely true, same goes for India who are doing extremely well right now. They have come a long way and have become developed, but they are far less Westernized than Nigeria.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by thoth: 7:21am On Sep 21, 2013
Fulaman198:

That's extremely true, same goes for India who are doing extremely well right now. They have come a long way and have become developed, but they are far less Westernized than Nigeria.
If you come close to Indians you will learn that the Brits and later the Americans tried very hard, thrice more than they did in Nigeria to instill systemic corruption in India, they wanted that nation to be just like Nigeria, in some places they succeeded but generally the Indians still pushed on, one attribute of the Indians that helped them was their hold to their culture and values, the priority their culture gives to the community before the individual is what saved them. Nigerians are increasingly getting Individualistic as days goes on and that is never part of our values, i wonder where that would leave us.

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by emekaD3(m): 12:25pm On Sep 21, 2013
mondi_cheeks: I'm still cultured, I go down on my knees when I'm giving my man food cheesy

Not sure if she means Food or head
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by onila(f): 4:51pm On Sep 21, 2013
emeka.D.:

Not sure if she means Food or head
grin
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Fulaman198(m): 7:00pm On Sep 21, 2013
thoth:
If you come close to Indians you will learn that the Brits and later the Americans tried very hard, thrice more than they did in Nigeria to instill systemic corruption in India, they wanted that nation to be just like Nigeria, in some places they succeeded but generally the Indians still pushed on, one attribute of the Indians that helped them was their hold to their culture and values, the priority their culture gives to the community before the individual is what saved them. Nigerians are increasingly getting Individualistic as days goes on and that is never part of our values, i wonder where that would leave us.

Very true Thoth, you have a lot of knowledge my friend and I hope that you continue to share it with us.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Nobody: 5:06am On Sep 23, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: wtf
undecided whats bothering u?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Eastern Chicks (mostly Ibo) Top The List Of Gay Women (lesbians) In 9ja: / Disrespect Of The Red Cap And Igbo Traditions:i Blame Your Parents!! / Funny Names Zambian And Namibian Parents Give Their Children (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.