Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,032 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

African Culture Is Dying! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Culture Is Dying! (15852 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Western Culture Vs African Culture / Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Nobody: 6:19pm On Sep 15, 2013
Blackteeth: Let African culture die!! Is it not the culture that Africans are practising that made them underdeveloped with poverty, disease and hunger?
undecided
keep quiet..
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Rossikk(m): 6:20pm On Sep 15, 2013
GH KWAME:

(1) You know, there is a reason why Westeners reserved Bush Man to the black man, and you just proved it. Must you resort to name calling to make your point?

(2) You call Scarring someone deliberately for life tatoo? A decision an individual's 0pinion is not considered? Tribal marks by definition is to identify ones ethnicity. I guess you don't know that people's throats have been slit 0pen depending on the number of strokes on an individuals cheeks.
The civil wars in Africa are largely Tribal wars.

(3) Each year African governments spend lavishly on Independence celeberations and scream Freedom the next thing they are threatening retaliation 0n immigration policies by the western countries to stem migration.
I won't beat my chest when I know that the African c0ntinent is in a sorry state.
If by pointing 0ut the flaws in our barbaric culture I am called a Westener, then so be it.
The African Culture is Backward.

Please kindly Fck off from here and go suck more white di*k on a western site. St.upid, worthless slave.

3 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by ThaProphet(m): 6:22pm On Sep 15, 2013
Blackteeth: Let African culture die!! Is it not the culture that Africans are practising that made them underdeveloped with poverty, disease and hunger?

lol. I believe poverty, disease and hunger came after we adopted the "civilization" that was meant to "save" us. Think about that for a while.

3 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by honeric01(m): 6:25pm On Sep 15, 2013
o
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by ThaProphet(m): 6:26pm On Sep 15, 2013
crackhaus:
You're right, I just modified my original post from CIVILIZATION to MODERNIZATION. After reading through what I originally posted, I agreed with you...since civilization has always been in existence, modernization would be a better word referencing the world as it is now.

Ah! I see.

Indeed. Modernization is a "better" term.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by adexpa(m): 6:27pm On Sep 15, 2013
hmmmmm.all started wen our fathers took religion matter wit culture,religion is apparently diff from culture,they should av by den separate d two because all originated from dis scenario but by now i dont believe much can be done except individual make personal research of any interested culture n make knwn to children.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by honeric01(m): 6:29pm On Sep 15, 2013
Kairoseki77: Onila, you still have not convinced me that you are Nigerian.

What tribe are you from? Please translate this paragraph into your tribal language:

"My name is Onila, I am Nigerian. I am writing this to prove that I am a real African, and not a liar. If you are from my tribe, please like my post so that others will know that I am speaking truthfully. My tribe is called _________. We are located in the _________ region of Nigeria."

If you cannot translate this paragraph, please delete your account immediately.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Rossikk(m): 6:43pm On Sep 15, 2013

You are a product of severe brainwashing.

Here's an excerpt from a 19th century colonial report regarding the African condition at the time of Europe's invasion of the continent:

''The principal crops cultivated by the natives are corn, cassava and yams, and a very large proportion of the colony is covered with them... As far as I have means to form an opinion, the supply of these products is more than sufficient to meet local demands, so much so that in 1895, when there was a failure of the crops on the gold coast, corn to the value of 5718 GBP was exported to Accra and Cape coast.''

Translation:

Contrary to the reports of mayhem and chaos from which the whites supposedly came to rescue us, in fact there was abundant food across the land before the colonial invasions, the country was fully cultivated, and the people were so self-sufficient in food that they sent over several tons of corn to help their brethren in neighbouring Ghana.

https://www.nairaland.com/1422871/lagos-not-built-oil-money#17851623

4 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by oncolor1: 6:46pm On Sep 15, 2013
It baffles me when people keep talking about African Culture or any culture for that matter. Culture is whatever a group of people are practicing at any particular time period in history. For example, lets go back 1,000 years ago, the activities (culture) is much different from say 400 years ago or 100 years ago.

Somethings people call culture are really not culture but the way people lived due to technology and life at that time e.g

Food - Before humans invented fire, there was nothing like eba/fufu or egusi soup or efo riro or pepper soup or whatever the tribes ate back then, so that was not in any body's culture then, when fire was discovered people learnt to combine different things and cook. With further developments we can now bake using oven e.g cake, bread etc and even borrow ideas from other places. What we call culture is what we learnt when people started copying from other tribes, e.g why do Ibo's, Urhobo, Ijaw, Yoruba etc all eat eba/fufu/amala? you think they did not interact at a point in time and copied from one another? even the soups have some similarity in preparation.

Now that the world is much more interconnected, we are basically unifying in culture. I see it as a losing battle when people talk going back to "our culture", there is no such thing because if you want to go back to your "culture" you have to go back to the village, live in mud huts, go to market square, watch local wrestling in the moonlight, and all such things that people did then, you cannot live in Lagos or London and pick some things you like and say you want to instill culture in your kids.

Language - Language is a means of communication among peoples in same geographical area. If you are living in New York or London as a Nigerian, and your kids cannot speak your local dialect, how does that affect him? I am not saying it is not good to be multilingual but if you look at it closely, the reason why we want to be multilingual is so we can communicate when we go to places where English is not spoken, for example south America or China. Now if you child is Ibo or Yoruba or any other tribe, the only people he cannot communicate with are probably his grandma or grandpa in the village as almost everyone in Nigeria can speak English or Pidgin English.

Clothes - Are clothes really culture? or what was available at the time? Before the white man came with those fancy wrapper and lace material where the different tribes dressing like that? If we could find pictures of people in Ibadan or Enugu or Warri 500 years ago, do you think they would have all those gele and buba or Ijaw hat and wrapper? so if the ones that came after them adopted these clothes why can we now not adopt jeans and t-shirts as our culture since that is what we all find comfortable to wear now.

We can go on and on....even the English spoken by Shakespeare is no more spoken in modern times. It is good to be nostalgic about how things were in the old days but remember life must go on.

4 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by oncolor1: 6:46pm On Sep 15, 2013
It baffles me when people keep talking about African Culture or any culture for that matter. Culture is whatever a group of people are practicing at any particular time period in history. For example, lets go back 1,000 years ago, the activities (culture) is much different from say 400 years ago or 100 years ago.

Somethings people call culture are really not culture but the way people lived due to technology and life at that time e.g

Food - Before humans invented fire, there was nothing like eba/fufu or egusi soup or efo riro or pepper soup or whatever the tribes ate back then, so that was not in any body's culture then, when fire was discovered people learnt to combine different things and cook. With further developments we can now bake using oven e.g cake, bread etc and even borrow ideas from other places. What we call culture is what we learnt when people started copying from other tribes, e.g why do Ibo's, Urhobo, Ijaw, Yoruba etc all eat eba/fufu/amala? you think they did not interact at a point in time and copied from one another? even the soups have some similarity in preparation.

Now that the world is much more interconnected, we are basically unifying in culture. I see it as a losing battle when people talk going back to "our culture", there is no such thing because if you want to go back to your "culture" you have to go back to the village, live in mud huts, go to market square, watch local wrestling in the moonlight, and all such things that people did then, you cannot live in Lagos or London and pick some things you like and say you want to instill culture in your kids.

Language - Language is a means of communication among peoples in same geographical area. If you are living in New York or London as a Nigerian, and your kids cannot speak your local dialect, how does that affect him? I am not saying it is not good to be multilingual but if you look at it closely, the reason why we want to be multilingual is so we can communicate when we go to places where English is not spoken, for example south America or China. Now if you child is Ibo or Yoruba or any other tribe, the only people he cannot communicate with are probably his grandma or grandpa in the village as almost everyone in Nigeria can speak English or Pidgin English.

Clothes - Are clothes really culture? or what was available at the time? Before the white man came with those fancy wrapper and lace material where the different tribes dressing like that? If we could find pictures of people in Ibadan or Enugu or Warri 500 years ago, do you think they would have all those gele and buba or Ijaw hat and wrapper? so if the ones that came after them adopted these clothes why can we now not adopt jeans and t-shirts as our culture since that is what we all find comfortable to wear now.

We can go on and on....even the English spoken by Shakespeare is no more spoken in modern times. It is good to be nostalgic about how things were in the old days but remember life must go on.

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by bobokelly(m): 6:50pm On Sep 15, 2013
Yes you are right, religeons and modern life.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by oncolor1: 6:54pm On Sep 15, 2013

Food - Before humans invented fire, there was nothing like eba/fufu or egusi soup or efo riro or pepper soup or whatever the tribes ate back then, so that was not in any body's culture then, when fire was discovered people learnt to combine different things and cook. With further developments we can now bake using oven e.g cake, bread etc and even borrow ideas from other places. What we call culture is what we learnt when people started copying from other tribes, e.g why do Ibo's, Urhobo, Ijaw, Yoruba etc all eat eba/fufu/amala? you think they did not interact at a point in time and copied from one another? even the soups have some similarity in preparation. The soups I'm sure have been modified with new flavors and ingredients that were probably not available back then.

We can go on and on....even the English spoken by Shakespeare is no more spoken in modern times. It is good to be nostalgic about how things were in the old days growing up but remember life must go on.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by musaajebor(m): 7:01pm On Sep 15, 2013
oncolor1: It baffles me when people keep talking about African Culture or any culture for that matter. Culture is whatever a group of people are practicing at any particular time period in history. For example, lets go back 1,000 years ago, the activities (culture) is much different from say 400 years ago or 100 years ago.

u just betrayed ur ignorance of the topic culture.u have proven u know nothing about clture and tradition with this ur uninformed write up. So the essence of languge is communication.and u want to be multilingual so as to be able to communicate when u are I Brazil Spain and France.but not so that ur children can communicate with their grandparents in the village.
Dude stfu.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by nikkyshyne(f): 7:05pm On Sep 15, 2013
Rossikk:

I am an idio.t.
You and the liker of your post are imbeciles.

2 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by oncolor1: 7:08pm On Sep 15, 2013
musa ajebor: u just betrayed ur ignorance of the topic culture.u have proven u know nothing about clture and tradition with this ur uninformed write up. So the essence of languge is communication.and u want to be multilingual so as to be able to communicate when u are I Brazil Spain and France.but not so that ur children can communicate with their grandparents in the village.
Dude stfu.

Learn to comprehend before using swear words on a public forum. What I meant was those languages are the languages used in commerce, business, school etc so if a child was to be raised in England and has to work in South America or China that would determine if he would be successful or not. I am not saying it is not important to communicate with your Grandparents.

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by musaajebor(m): 7:16pm On Sep 15, 2013
[left][/left]Fela sang and it goes.

Africa hot
I like am so
I Know wetin to wear
But my friends they don't know.
He put him socks
He put him tie
He put him shirt
He put him singlet

He put him belt
He put him shoe
He come cover all with him hat
He be gentle man.
He go sweat all over
He go smell like p shoot .....
I nor be gentleman like that o.I be afrcan man original

2 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by GHKWAME(m): 7:17pm On Sep 15, 2013
Gbam! Most africans regardless 0f their education still blame spirits, ghosts and call their wives and parents evil. To date there are some communities who will not allow their children to be immunised because 0f some hogwash cultural beliefs.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by pryd(m): 7:18pm On Sep 15, 2013
How then can we revive it?
How can we sustain it?
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by musaajebor(m): 7:21pm On Sep 15, 2013
oncolor1:

Learn to comprehend before using swear words on a public forum. What I meant was those languages are the languages used in commerce, business, school etc so if a child was to be raised in England and has to work in South America or China that would determine if he would be successful or not. I am not saying it is not important to communicate with your Grandparents.
that's another blatant lie.studying an African languae In such climes will not make u unsuccessful. Don't let the complex disturbing u affect ur sense of reasoning.haba.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Fulaman198(m): 7:22pm On Sep 15, 2013
GH KWAME:

(1) You know, there is a reason why Westeners reserved Bush Man to the black man, and you just proved it. Must you resort to name calling to make your point?

(2) You call Scarring someone deliberately for life tatoo? A decision an individual's 0pinion is not considered? Tribal marks by definition is to identify ones ethnicity. I guess you don't know that people's throats have been slit 0pen depending on the number of strokes on an individuals cheeks.
The civil wars in Africa are largely Tribal wars.

(3) Each year African governments spend lavishly on Independence celeberations and scream Freedom the next thing they are threatening retaliation 0n immigration policies by the western countries to stem migration.
I won't beat my chest when I know that the African c0ntinent is in a sorry state.
If by pointing 0ut the flaws in our barbaric culture I am called a Westener, then so be it.
The African Culture is Backward.

You care too much of what Westerners think of you sha...why do you have such a low self-esteem?

What is the difference between an African living in the bush and a Westerner living in the woods? Same thing, there are many Americans living in Rural parts of the country.

I'm from Fulani land where ethnic marks are done on a consistent basis and never have I seen someones throat get slit open, never. That is an over-exaggeration.

Wars happen all over the world as human beings by nature are not civil to each other no matter what part of the world you are based in. You have such low self-esteem I'm just completely flabbergasted by it. Name one region in the world where World does not exist.

I do agree that African governments need some major work, but that is due to our poor leadership (leaders from both North and South being corrupt). What Nigeria needs is a young leader who will set Nigeria on a course for success within the next 15 years to be able to compete with the likes of South Korea, United States, Japan, India, etc. We need to improve interal technology, set up 4G LTE towers, providie education focused mainly on engineering, science, medicine, etc. We also need our people to stop moving out of Naija and going abroad to Middle east or the Western world and completely ditching their culture behind in favour of another culture.

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Fulaman198(m): 7:24pm On Sep 15, 2013
crackhaus: It's quite difficult to say this, but truth is, the generation of Nigerians born from 1980-present are the ones leaning more towards a westernized form of living. Like a friend said, a lot of COCONUTS(brown/black outside, white on the inside) have been born within this period and will continue to be.

Then again, if you look at it objectively, Culture is inversely proportional to Modernization. In other words, in predominatly Modernized societies worldwide, Culture is usually at its least though not completely eliminated.

If there was a possibility in Nigeria that we become a predominatly Modernized Nation, then Culture will have to take a back seat...that's just the way it is.

We can't choose to stay completely Modernized and still want to retain a strong Cultural heritage. Countries like Japan, China, and India with very rich Cultural history have been able to balance their need to fit into the Modern world while at the same time retaining a bit of their old Culture, but we all know where this leaves them on the global ladder of dominance.

Last point, language is a really big problem in Nigeria, just because we have much more ethnicities than I can count, and it's not like they sound alike...this is why I believe the only universal language in Nigeria is Pidgin.
Tribalism is the bane of Nigeria's existence!

I hope I made a bit of sense with the long talk, but the whole point of it regarding this topic is, for a country to become Civilized/Modernized to a certain extent, its Cultural heritage will have to be relegated to an extent as well.

I was born in 1984 and I will never abandon my culture

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by GHKWAME(m): 7:25pm On Sep 15, 2013
Rossikk:

Please kindly Fck off from here and go suck more white di*k on a western site. St.upid, worthless slave.

Western education taught Me to to be quiet when i have nothing sensible to say. Than to open my mouth and remove all doubt. noʎ ʞɔnɟ and your primitive culture.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Nobody: 7:25pm On Sep 15, 2013
This is possibly a sign of advancing the culture while the primitive dies out. It is a proof the old barbaric ways haven't help us in any way that has to do with development and moving forward. I agree ,if Africa must move forward, it must change so many things about believe in the archaic irrelevant things and associate with things in the modern world.

Africans need to start addressing ways to develop than focusing on culture that is not so much different from others around the world. Modern culture is no longer restricted to particular people and nation. That I would want Africans to embrace on the road to success and advancement.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by MrAboki: 7:25pm On Sep 15, 2013
onila: cry cry its sad that I wont be able to show and teach my children abt my culture again
I grew up playing with masquerades, going to the village every christmas

the average Nigerian child that grew up in the urban areas cant speak their language any longer cry cry

now everything is considered evil

this modern life not sweet at all . .but i have to follow the new world, to be on the safe side

African culture died a long time ago..

What we have now is a mordernised version of what our traditions and cultures used to be. I'm not talking about bum shorts and mini skirts o.. I'm talking about our core traditions and beliefs.. Go look at traditional weddings today and you'll see hat I'm saying. Soon people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between traditional weddings and church weddings.

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Fulaman198(m): 7:26pm On Sep 15, 2013
demelza: This is sadly one of the bane of Africa.
We take absolute delight in upgrading and embracing other cultures to the detriment of ours.
Look at countries like India, China etc, that hold on tightly to their culture and are even exporting it abroad. There is no country in the world where Chinese are resident that you wont see a China town. Chinese and Indian cuisines are some of the in-thing around the world.
Go to our universities and see youths claiming Ajebo because they cant speak their language when they should be hiding their face in shame.
We act as if we were the only ones colonized.
Its really sad.

So true my friend

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Fulaman198(m): 7:28pm On Sep 15, 2013
Mr Aboki:

African culture died a long time ago..

What we have now is a mordernised version of what our traditions and cultures used to be. I'm not talking about bum shorts and mini skirts o.. I'm talking about our core traditions and beliefs.. Go look at traditional weddings today and you'll see hat I'm saying. Soon people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between traditional weddings and church weddings.

Malam Aboki, this is not true at all. There are many African cultures still thriving as they were thousands of years ago. It is our duty to make sure that these cultures never die out or give into Western ways of life.

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by oncolor1: 7:29pm On Sep 15, 2013
musa ajebor: that's another blatant lie.studying an African languae In such climes will not make u unsuccessful. Don't let the complex disturbing u affect ur sense of reasoning.haba.

Musa! Musa!! Musa!!! how many times did I call your name? where in my post did I say it will make him unsuccessful? All I said is if your child happens not to learn your language you should not be sad that he does not know your culture because it would probably have little or no effect on his life in the environment he grows up (abroad). I only made this point because there are lots of Nigerians abroad who try to teach their children their local language but when the child grows up he still can not speak it due to nobody to speak with except at home in most cases.

I brought the issue of Spanish or Chinese or even French because these days you have to work in South America or China or French speaking countries or do business with them and it might affect a young person's success that is why some schools teach these languages as part of their curriculum

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Fulaman198(m): 7:30pm On Sep 15, 2013
ThaProphet:

Ah! I see.

Indeed. Modernization is a "better" term.

Modernization is more like Westernization

4 Likes

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by 419forlife: 7:36pm On Sep 15, 2013
grin santa claus go come to drop village hut tis a season
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by Abrahamweb(m): 7:37pm On Sep 15, 2013
I love my culture,if one must progress,one must know his origin.i love my parents for passing our culture down to us(the children).he tells us about our culture,those that throw away their culture,it's sad.you can learn your local dialet and english at the same time.imagine somepipo (maybe igbo or igala or any other language) will learn hausa and english and 4get the language,some even go to xtent of learning french,chinese.its stupid,annoying and pathetic.

1 Like

Re: African Culture Is Dying! by ThaProphet(m): 7:44pm On Sep 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

Modernization is more like Westernization

You are right. Modernization and Civilization are two words usually (but wrongfully) associated with the West. Both have occurred on many occasions before the advent of westernization.
Re: African Culture Is Dying! by crackhaus: 7:49pm On Sep 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

I was born in 1984 and I will never abandon my culture
I'm glad you won't but then again, I don't think you will produce a light bulb and try to sell it to the world dressed in your local attire and speaking your local dialect. #seeiftheytakeyouseriously

As per my post, maybe you didn't fully grasp it...I said people born within this period 'LEAN MORE towards western-styled living', I never used 'Abandon'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Eastern Chicks (mostly Ibo) Top The List Of Gay Women (lesbians) In 9ja: / Disrespect Of The Red Cap And Igbo Traditions:i Blame Your Parents!! / Funny Names Zambian And Namibian Parents Give Their Children (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.