Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,963 members, 7,825,016 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. (255525 Views)

Graduate Interns At HCDC Limited / Salary of Federal Hospital Interns In Nigeria? / Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (88) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Gerrard59(m): 10:38am On Oct 30, 2013
Thnks
very much.
I read that after 4 yrs, one would do internship either in the health
sector or in the industry. But Nigeria in my view has a mostly
retail/marketing/sales industry than actual manufacturing like the the
U.S,Japan or even india. Cos i would have love to work in manufaturing side.
What do yu think can be done abt it?
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 30, 2013
Gerrard59: Thnks
very much.
I read that after 4 yrs, one would do internship either in the health
sector or in the industry. But Nigeria in my view has a mostly
retail/marketing/sales industry than actual manufacturing like the the
U.S,Japan or even india. Cos i would have love to work in manufaturing side.
What do yu think can be done abt it?
maybe u suld get to d brigde b4 trynna cross it.
Its capital intensive, well, if u are OBO, u can built some indutries , meanwhile dia are stl many pharma industries in Nigeria, just dat dey prefer cheap labour to experts.
Cutting costs, wnt blame em.
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by godcantlie(m): 9:07pm On Oct 30, 2013
Good day house. I'm a pharmacist by profession while my wife is a medical doctor. Please, can someone suggest to us if it's possible for a couple to apply for the same graduate programme in a Canadian University while we are still writing our various conversional exams? Also, is there any conversional exams for a Nigerian trained Dr. in Canada in order to get work permit??
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by agabaI23(m): 11:34pm On Oct 30, 2013
You will understand the harm you've done to yourself when you graduate if you passed with craming. Not good at all.

The reason why many students have issues with Pharm/med chem is due to craming in the first and second years. If you get your foundations right, why will you cram? No reason!

Learn the basics and you will never cram for a day.
Understand physiology and you will have no issues with pharmacology
etc

You cram and write rubbish when an applied question comes your way and when the result is published with a 45 staring you on the face, you will tell every passerby the lecturer is victimizing for giving an F for a course you studied and wrote so well in the exam that you expected to get at least 99/100

Say no to craming in Pharmacy. The era of cram and pour is the past!

3 Likes

Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by adeoladrg(m): 9:28am On Oct 31, 2013
godcantlie: Good day house. I'm a pharmacist by profession while my wife is a medical doctor. Please, can someone suggest to us if it's possible for a couple to apply for the same graduate programme in a Canadian University while we are still writing our various conversional exams? Also, is there any conversional exams for a Nigerian trained Dr. in Canada in order to get work permit??

Goodday sir, theres a pharmacist on the first page of this thread, presently in canada. U could pm him or smth. fanks
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by adeoladrg(m): 10:32am On Oct 31, 2013
Now who will help me will help me with the term 'chelation' and 'coordination complex'. We did dis shii in first semester's inorganic pharmchem and i dont still understand it. Thank Goodness it didnt come out in the exam. Anyone?
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by deocakes(f): 11:57am On Oct 31, 2013
adeola_drg: Now who will help me will help me with the term 'chelation' and 'coordination complex'. We did dis shii in first semester's inorganic pharmchem and i dont still understand it. Thank Goodness it didnt come out in the exam. Anyone?
Chelation is the reaction between a drug or substance (in this case called a chelating agent) with living matter eg bones, tissues, to form a coloured disfigurating complex . A classical example is the reaction between tetracycline and the Ca in the milk teeth of children. However a coordination complex are compounds formed by the combination of EDTA (Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acetic Acid ) with other substances. The EDTA tend to from a semi-cross link with the substance. eg. EDTA and Calcium ... the Ca will be at the middle whilst the EDTA complex sorrounds it in a semi circle arrangement.

4 Likes

Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 31, 2013
The last few posts have been interesting.
Deocake, re u a rxist?
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by tolurx(m): 2:19pm On Oct 31, 2013
agabaI23: You will understand the harm you've done to yourself when you graduate if you passed with craming. Not good at all.

The reason why many students have issues with Pharm/med chem is due to craming in the first and second years. If you get your foundations right, why will you cram? No reason!

etc

You cram and write rubbish when an applied question comes your way and when the result is published with a 45 staring you on the face, you will tell every passerby the lecturer is victimizing for giving an F for a course you studied and wrote so well in the exam that you expected to get at least 99/100

Obviously, the best way to study if you want to be able to apply what you have learnt in pharmacy school is to read and understand rather than to cram and end up clueless
people perform woefully in interviews just cos the questios asked aren't direct.I do quite agree you don't have to cram to do excellently well in some courses like pcl,micro and for some courses like dispensn and pharmchem craming wont get you anywhere.
However i might not be able to say the same for pcg where craming is bound to get you more mark although they have started asking a bit more applied questns to discourage craming
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by tolurx(m): 2:28pm On Oct 31, 2013
I think people cram a lot in pharmacy school cos of the way it is structured.The courses are voluminous and bulky plus pharmacy is really demanding and time consuming.pple often have to study a lot in very little time and hence resort to craming.
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Breezy90(m): 3:33pm On Oct 31, 2013
Cramming in cognosy is necessary..u want to tell me u learn dose botanical names..
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 31, 2013
Breezy90: Cramming in cognosy is necessary..u want to tell me u learn dose botanical names..
chai! I like botanical names.... I 1st cram nd den study it very well... Nd later relate it with life like using it to "speak in tongue"......especially when chating with friends, xo it helps me to recollect quickly.....
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by somtea(m): 5:19am On Nov 01, 2013
agabaI23: You will understand the harm you've done to yourself when you graduate if you passed with craming. Not good at all.

etc

GBAM
i try 2 bring myself 2 beleive dis oo,nd God has been helpin me thus far.
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by baebyfaze91(m): 7:07am On Nov 01, 2013
Hello bosses
I'm a newly admittd Pharmacy stud in2 Unibadan....it'l b nyc 2 relate wit ya'al
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Gerrard59(m): 7:54am On Nov 01, 2013
Apart from Emzor,Juhel, how many viable pharma manufaturing do we have?

The new Pharm.D is clinically oriented, yes , but is it useful in the industry sector?
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 11:51am On Nov 01, 2013
baebyfaze91: Hello bosses
ure welcome bro..... Just go through the previous pages and you ll gain some things.... Ure also free to ask questions..... #team UI
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 11:53am On Nov 01, 2013
Gerrard59: Apart from Emzor,Juhel, how many viable pharma manufaturing do we have?

The new Pharm.D is clinically oriented, yes , but is it useful in the industry sector?
@bolded.... Same thing running through my mind...
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Samgreguc(m): 12:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
baebyfaze91: Hello bosses
CONGRATULATIONS!....... take a sit
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by agabaI23(m): 12:35pm On Nov 01, 2013
Has the pharma industries closed down in the US?
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by baebyfaze91(m): 12:42pm On Nov 01, 2013
UITES ni o
Tommybob: ure welcome bro..... Just go through the previous pages and you ll gain some things.... Ure also free to ask questions..... #team UI
i'v bin 4lown d thread 4rm d beginning jst dt na VIEWING TEAM....nw i cn relate wela since i'm a potential Rx stud.,tnx man
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by baebyfaze91(m): 12:44pm On Nov 01, 2013
tnx boss
Samgreguc:
CONGRATULATIONS!....... take a sit
*tks a comfortable sit*d crowd much o* at last i made it to dis seat*
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
baebyfaze91: UITES ni o

i'v bin 4lown d thread 4rm d beginning jst dt na VIEWING TEAM....nw i cn relate wela since i'm a potential Rx stud.,tnx man
lol..... Abeg watz d meaning of that 'Rx'?? av bin seeing it for a long tym....
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Breezy90(m): 3:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
Tommybob: lol..... Abeg watz d meaning of that 'Rx'?? av bin seeing it for a long tym....
rx simply means medical prescription.it is an abrreviation for the latin word ”recipe” which means take..cheers
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 01, 2013
Breezy90: rx simply means medical prescription.it is an abrreviation for the latin word ”recipe” which means take..cheers
waoh! Thank you
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Breezy90(m): 4:36pm On Nov 01, 2013
Plz hauz I want some one to explain isotonicity in pharm chem...nd possibly give me a hint on how to solve a problem on isotonicy..for example: calc d amt of nacl dat should be added to d ffg formulation of nasal drops in oda 2 make the final solution isotonic(a 1% w/v solution of ephedrine hydrochloride depresses d freezing point by 0.169'c while a 1 % w/v solution of nacl depresses d freezing point by 0.576'c)
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Samgreguc(m): 9:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
baebyfaze91: tnx boss
*tks a comfortable sit*d crowd much o* at last i made it to dis seat*
yep. . . . Thank God
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 02, 2013
Breezy90: Plz hauz I want some one to explain isotonicity in pharm chem...nd possibly give me a hint on how to solve a problem on isotonicy..for example: calc d amt of nacl dat should be added to d ffg formulation of nasal drops in oda 2 make the final solution isotonic(a 1% w/v solution of ephedrine hydrochloride depresses d freezing point by 0.169'c while a 1 % w/v solution of nacl depresses d freezing point by 0.576'c)
dem neva tish us o.
Pharm Tech abi? Or Chem Anybody?
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by drered(m): 5:10pm On Nov 02, 2013
Hey ya'll!
Pharmacy, 400L, University of Ibadan.

Good job OP.
My experience in pharmacy school has been crazy I must say.. That's for another time tho.
There are certain issues I'd like to raise..

The marginalisation of pharmacist by other health care professionals especially doctors.. Its almost like there's this tension in a room with pharmacist and doctors with doctors always trying to act all encompassing and pharmacists , mostly timid in nature easily passing as "mere" sales people. That shouldn't bother a pharmacist worth is onions tho but its still an issue and a serious one too. Some hospitals don't even have pharmacists but have drugs stocked as they could be easily handled by a nurse or the doctor.. I mean some health establishments don't even have the chief pharmacist in the hospital board and to most of the pharmacists this is a non issue. But hey! They also went through a system where they were regarded as "socially awkward" because they basically just bury themselves in their books and engaging in various form of social activity might pass you along as "unserious" how then do you get the social networking skill that will make you and in extension your profession recognised?
In U.I, most of the lecturers do basically two things lecture students and "lecture themselves" they don't even go into the institution politics at all. If you don't have anyone there how do you make policies or bring about policies that favours your faculty?. Uni. Ibadan as seen loads of VC's from the college of medicine and its all been good for them as far as the university policies go..
isn't it laughable that the DG of NAFDAC is a medical doctor? IMO, the system has to be regulated and every member of the healthcare team has to be recognised + there should be great measure of professionalism among members and not one undermining the other..

The Second issue is the curriculum and TBH it is just messed up! Even my pharmacology lecturer admits this and then you wonder why when most students graduate they live a routine life? Take prescriptions, read prescriptions, check for error in dosing, DI and fill prescriptions all day every day. You don't even apply half of what you learn depending on what aspect of pharmacy you get to practise.. What about those that want the thrill that comes with doing something different? Or making research and discovering something new? What innovation can the average B.Pharm graduate come with left in a lab with all the high tech apparatus he needs?. You can't give what you don't have can you?.. How much of what you learn in pharmaceutics practical can you apply considering drugs are rarely extemporaneously prepared but come in suitable dosage forms?. This are issues that might not change in the near future but they are issues that need to be addressed nonetheless

8 Likes

Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by drered(m): 5:21pm On Nov 02, 2013
Pharmacy is a great course but if it was much more practical( I don't mean labs) then we'd see loads of innovation but its Nigeria and nothing really works like it should so its still all good.
undecided

If you're an aspiring pharmacist and you want to study pharmacy then go for it! It actually is rewarding, engaging and by Nigeria's standard a great way to make a living. Some peeps might think I'm a pessimist that looks at the glass half empty but.......There was this thread were a guy wanted to make a choice between pharmacy and chemical engineering and I sounded objective still

drered: You'd hardly see a pharmacy grad that is unemployed or can't find an Internship placement. The beauty in pharmacy is its diversity. Pharmacist fit into so many works of life both unrelated and related to the profession ; Hospital/Retail/Academic/Manufacture/Quality assurance etc. Pharmacies are being opened everyday so they are always jobs and they also pay big cash to use your cert to register the place. Apart from diversity there's flexibilty. You can work in 2,3 places (locum) and make a very descent pay. Immediately after graduation, you can earn anything between 100large to 200large per month during your internship. I would suppose they are much more engineers relative to pharmacist out there and you know the less available a particular skill set is the greater their remuneration.

Pharmacy is also pretty tough. For the fact that you can diversify you should also be able to infer that the course itself is quiet broad ; From drug chemistry to their synthesis and how they can also be obtained, identified and extracted from natural sources to pharmaceutical microbiology, to drug dosage forms, analysis, assay and formulation to anatomy, physiology, clinicals( extensive study of virtually all disease states and their therapy). You gotta be able to sacrifice loads of your time and be persistent. A typical day in my school is 8-1 lectures, 2-5/6 practicals and same follows the next day. Remember u gotta report practicals and also study and be ready for extra classes. Exams are usually at a stretch, monday-saturday then you continue the next monday, no breaks in-between. No carry overs, you are allowed a couple of resits (3-4 depending on course unit and level) but if you fail just a course twice or more than the limit you'll repeat the whole year. There's even this silly thing where if you can't write an exam because you are sick and then you fail another course, you'll have to repeat the whole year. So its pretty much hardcore but its worth it. Was speaking to a senior colleague(a pharmacist now) that we used to read/complain about pharmacy school together and he said he would study pharmacy 10times over..
I suppose chemical engineering is okay too but pharmacy is what I can tell you about. Choose wisely mate cuz what you study can make or mar you. Good luck.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 02, 2013
drered: Pharmacy is a great course but if it was much more practical( I don't mean labs) then we'd see loads of innovation but its Nigeria and nothing really works like it should so its still all good.
undecided

If you're an aspiring pharmacist and you want to study pharmacy then go for it! It actually is rewarding, engaging and by Nigeria's standard a great way to make a living. Some peeps might think I'm a pessimist that looks at the glass half empty but.......There was this thread were a guy wanted to make a choice between pharmacy and chemical engineering and I sounded objective still

my boss... Pls I'd like to have you on my 2go list..... Just admitted into the University of Ibadan to study pharm..... I ll like to know how the lecturers cope with the students and other things, tho on 2go..... Can i have your username?
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by baebyfaze91(m): 10:08pm On Nov 02, 2013
drered: Pharmacy is a great course but if it was much more practical( I don't mean labs) then we'd see loads of innovation but its Nigeria and nothing really works like it should so its still all good.
undecided

Boss i'l lyk 2 tlk wit u more...pls drop ur 2go id nd fb......i'm also a newly admittd pharmacy stud in2 U.I
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Rexsul: 11:05pm On Nov 02, 2013
baebyfaze91:
Boss i'l lyk 2 tlk wit u more...pls drop ur 2go id nd fb......i'm also a newly admittd pharmacy stud in2 U.I
guy wot did u score in jamb n post ume? stil waitn 4 a.b.u 2 fix a new date 4 there post ume....goin 4 pharmacy 2.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (88) (Reply)

Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum / Nigerian Prospective Medical Interns 2017 / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.