Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,297 members, 7,829,691 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here - Religion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here (37442 Views)

My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing / Some Of Pastor E.A Adeboye's Testimonies / Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by mko2005: 12:01pm On Oct 07, 2013
Processor01: I initially got my first revelation to quit tithing sometime last year when the Holy spirit directed me to Hebrews 7 but I was too lazy to study it and ask him for deeper revelation.

After some weeks I gave into fear and revelations from my church(odozi-obodo) but i kept reading and thanks to the likes of Frosbel, Goshen, Pastor Kun. After some time of self study and prayer I took the bold step and some days I feared that I might have an accident or suffer serious losses but I began to feel this peace and boldness in place of fear.

When I finally got a mega promotion I finally concluded that the God these folks preach seems to be different from my father.

Your 'promotion' would hav been VERY MEGA or even MEGA than what you received if only you had returned to God what belongs to HIM( a tenth) or trust HIM with your tithe ! Don't be deceived mate cos even unbelievers (pagans and the rest)get 'mega promotions' as well !
Now you quoted Hebrews 7,I will like to tell you in addition to other new testament scriptural backing for tithe like Mathew 23:23 that HEBREWS is the ONLY new testament book that explicitly and implicitly ADMONISHED US TO TITHE and not the other way round. Little wonder men of God rarely see this book as one written solely to tell us the importance of tithing the new testament way !
Now for others who care to see and listen,sit back and enjoy this insight :

Have you heard of the word Theophany or Christophany ? If no,please see below meaning and scriptural backings :

''A Christophany is an appearance of the preincarnate Christ in the Old Testament, or after his ascension.-Web definition.
''A theophany is a manifestation of God in the Bible that is tangible to the human senses. In its most restrictive sense, it is a visible appearance of God in the Old Testament period, often, but not always, in human form.
Some of the theophanies are found in these passages:

1. Genesis 12:7-9 – The Lord appeared to Abraham on his arrival in the land God had promised to him and his descendants.

2. Genesis 18:1-33 – One day, Abraham had some visitors: two angels and God Himself. He invited them to come to his home, and he and Sarah entertained them. - a Christophany, a pre-incarnate appearance of Christ.

3. Genesis 32:22-30 – Jacob wrestled with what appeared to be a man, but was actually God (vv. 28-30). This may also have been a Christophany.-Christ

4. Exodus 3:2 - 4:17 – God appeared to Moses in the form of a burning bush, telling him exactly what He wanted him to do.-Theophany

5. Exodus 24:9-11 – God appeared to Moses with Aaron and his sons and the seventy elders.-Theophany

6. Deuteronomy 31:14-15 – God appeared to Moses and Joshua in the transfer of leadership to Joshua.

7. Job 38–42 – God answered Job out of the tempest and spoke at great length in answer to Job’s questions.-Theophany

Frequently, the term “glory of the Lord” reflects a theophany, as in Exodus 24:16-18; the “pillar of cloud” has a similar function in Exodus 33:9. A frequent introduction for theophanies may be seen in the words “the Lord came down,” as in Genesis 11:5; Exodus 34:5; Numbers 11:5; and 12:5.
Every theophany wherein God takes on human form foreshadows the incarnation, where God took the form of a man to live among us as Emmanuel, “God with us” (Matthew 1:23).

Having establishe the above facts,i think it is neccessary we proceed with Hebrews where you claimed you got a revelation to stop tithing.I want to believe that ur revelation might be from man or the devil becos it is written that even the devil can come like an angel of light to lead people astray by perverting the gospel !
Now to discuss Hebrews,let us see Genesis 14:18-20
''And Melchizedek, the king of Salem and a priest of God Most High,brought Abram some bread and wine.Melchizedek blessed Abram with this blessing:“Blessed be Abram by God Most High,Creator of heaven and earth.And blessed be God Most High,who has defeated your enemies for you.”Then Abram gave Melchizedek a tenth of all the goods he had recovered.''

Who is Mechizedek ? We will know who this 'being' is when we get to Hebrews the new testament but keep in mind the meaning of Christophany !
Genesis 28:20-22 '' Then Jacob made this vow: “If God will indeed be with me and protect me on this journey, and if he will provide me with food and clothing,and if I return safely to my father’s home, then the Lord will certainly be my God.And this memorial pillar I have set up will become a place for worshiping God, and I will present to God a tenth of everything he gives me.
From the above two scriptures,it has been established that Abraham who is the father of Christians also whom we MUST receive his blessings through Christ Jesus-tithed and his son Jacob tithed as well before the law ! The Law came after the exodus form Egypt and Abraham had already tithed to 'Melchizedek' before this time(640yrs before the law)And his son Jacob tithed 445yrs before the law and this brings us to the conclusion that tithing never started with the Law and what makes you think it ended with the Law !
Melchizedek,king of Salem and Salem later became Jerusalem,HE brought out wine and bread and blessed Abraham !-Genesis 14:18-22.
Who is the king of Salem(Jerusalem)that brought out bread and wine THE NIGHT BEFORE his DEATH ? Please don't conclude yet untill we get to Hebrew still keeping in mind what Christophany means !
The Law no doubt also commanded tithing but that does not mean that tithing started with the law-Leveticus 27:30-32''A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord.Whoever would redeem any of their tithe must add a fifth of the value to it. Every tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod—will be holy to the Lord.'' Please note that we are not discussing tithing as unto the law but want to show you that the law also commanded it but only as a shadow of what is to come !Note that Law was never brought about so that we will be under it for eternity but to show us a picture of what will be in the new testament.See Hebrews 10:1a'' For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things,''Remember that the slaying or blood sacrifice was never a bad thing becos it is LAW after all a blood sacrifice also occurred in the new testament-Jesus shedding HIS blood for you and i.So the sacrifices of animals in the OT was indeed a shadow of how to do it better in the NT !

Now let us see what Christ HIMSELF is saying concerning tithing:
Mathew 23:23''“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.''. He supported tithing immediately by saying yes you should tithe but HE rebuked them for not doing other important things contained in the book !-justice, mercy, and faith !
We all know who Jesus is,if he was not in support of tithing,HE would had condemned it right from Mathew 23:23 as HE did with so many other laws like stoning of the adulterous,divorce,Sabbath,paying of taxes,washing of hands before meal and so many others !
The issue of tithing was not discussed extensively in the new testament and i believe that it was not an issue no wonder there were no cases or issues raised concerning it much,but Hebrews gave us insights of what the pre-Law tithing was and what tithing should be as supported by Christ HIMSELF who receives all tithes !

Tithing as absolutely and positively supported by the book of Hebrews in the New testament....

Reverting
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Oduduwaboy(m): 12:03pm On Oct 07, 2013
Pastor Kun & Fr_evangel i say to you two kudos !!!

Only 2% of the people of any society are ever ready to learn the truth ; the rest belong to the 'masses ' who are always ready to just tag along ....

Tithe is nothing more than a Pentecostal fraud being perpetrated on the suffering masses of poor 3rd world countries ; all in the name of seeking for blessings from God .These same blessings are the responsibilities of Government in sane societies .

Asian countries are advancing in leaps and bounds and nobody frightens them for not paying tithe ......we even go India to seek healthcare and are proud of it.

God if at all he exists will judge those who take from the poor to fulfill the wantoness of the rich. cheers everyone !

3 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by ejiboy1(m): 12:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
truthtalk:

You may not instantly get the picture unless I give a little background to it. When I heard of the tithe issue in church, I was at first skeptical but, with study on the scriptures given by the Pastor (Gen. 14:20, Gen. 28:22, Lev. 27:30, Num. 18:21, Deut. 12:6, Deut. 14:28, Deut. 26:12, 2Chr. 31:5, Neh. 10:38, Neh. 12:44, Neh. 13:12, Mal. 3:10, Matt. 23:23, Luke 18:12, etc), I realized that it was a function of Divine Revelation.

The first man that was revealed in the Bible to have paid tithe was Abraham (Gen. 14:20). He did this to Melchizedek (a form of the Holy Spirit - without father nor mother, ...) - a principle that worked for him. This incident took place long before the law of Moses was introduced. The law only continued on its principles...

The part of my testimony is that, after studying the subject of tithing, I decided to try it out. After all, faith is the response of man to what God has said irrespective of personal opinions or existing circumstances. So, I paid a tithe (10%) of my monthly Salary, and that month was extraordinary for me, as I received monies from people I didn't even know. I strongly believe that God was proving to me that His word works and is trustworthy if I respond to it in faith.

Prior to this time, managing my salary to meet with monthly demands was very challenging and I was struggling. After the first month of paying my tithe, I continued; ever since, I have had my salary increased four (4) times, with promotion, and I can comfortably meet the demands of the month.

Thank God for the revelation of the Tithe Principle.

TITHING REALLY WORKS!!!

This is a true talk indeed. I think all anti-tithers shd study those scriptures and read meaning in this guy's post.

And let me tell U, this is just like a gamble and u av to use ur inner sense. I'm sure that giving to God the tenth of my income can not lead me to hell cus its never a bad tin to give to ur God. This means that even if Tithing is right or wrong, I am save. But u that ignore giving tithe maybe because of some pastors misuse it, will be doomed, if tithing is eventually right. Because God placed a curse on it and neither Him nor Jesus condermed it.

Be Wise
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
fr_evangel: @Elliotwiz1,
I am not surprised the way you discuss God's word.
One thing I would advice, take your bible, the same one you have used all these while.
Start from Genesis, read every situation tithe was mentioned.
1. Read it as though you have not heard about it before, not with preconceived understanding.
2. Use other passages as your reference, not your or some pastor's book or teaching.
3. Make notes of your observations, not what you have been told.
When you have done that, come share with us. It is obvious you haven't studied your bible.

when you read the word of God, you dont read it like any other book, the letter killeth but the spirit giveth life, for you to understand the true word of God, you must read it and pray for the interpretation from the holy spirit else You'll end up bringing up devilish and rebellious doctrines.
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Candour(m): 12:57pm On Oct 07, 2013
ejiboy1:

This is a true talk indeed. I think all anti-tithers shd study those scriptures and read meaning in this guy's post.

And let me tell U, this is just like a gamble and u av to use ur inner sense. I'm sure that giving to God the tenth of my income can not lead me to hell cus its never a bad tin to give to ur God. This means that even if Tithing is right or wrong, I am save. But u that ignore giving tithe maybe because of some pastors misuse it, will be doomed, if tithing is eventually right. Because God placed a curse on it and neither Him nor Jesus condermed it.

Be Wise

My brother, the highlighted portions of your post says all about the Christianity you practice. You're a Christian, not because you love God but because of the possibilities of blessings he pours out. Hence you can boldly liken tithing to GAMBLING. I salute your honesty though because not all tithe promoters will readily admit all they are doing is kalo kalo. You're also not sure of what will save you or qualify you to be with God at the end. Brother, that is bondage. Pls be sure of what you're doing otherwise you're no better than unbelievers.

meanwhile, in the post you quoted of truthtalk, i noticed his pastor instructed him to read Deut 14:28 and Num 18:21. what happened to the start of the tithe story in Deut 14:22 and the end of Num 18? This is an example of dishonesty of a lot of pastors. It will do you and him a great deal of good if you can start the reading from Deut 14:22-29 and Num 18:21-32 to get the full gist of uses of tithe.

God bless you

1 Like

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by christemmbassey(m): 1:08pm On Oct 07, 2013
Tithes of money in christianity is like d ACURSED THINGS Achan brought to d camp of Israel, why? Bc, d tithe monies mostly, are from, prosti.tutes, ritualists, thieves, pension fund scammers, oil subsidy thieves etc etc, dat's why today prayers in d church is always against d demons n enemies die die etc, u wey tin say tithe will save u from d effects of ya nafarous activities, y do u spend d whole nights to pray ur die die by fire prayer?
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by mko2005: 1:26pm On Oct 07, 2013
Tithing Absolutely and Positively supported by the book of Hebrews in the New testament !

Hebrews 7:1-18
''This Melchizedek was king of the city of Salem and also a priest of God Most High. When Abraham was returning home after winning a great battle against the kings, Melchizedek met him and blessed him[b].Then Abraham took a tenth of all he had captured in battle and gave it to Melchizedek. [/b]The name Melchizedek means “king of justice,” and king of Salem means “king of peace.” There is no record of his father or mother or any of his ancestors—no beginning or end to his life. He remains a priest forever, resembling the Son of God.
Consider then how great this Melchizedek was. Even Abraham, the great patriarch of Israel, recognized this by giving him a tenth of what he had taken in battle. Now the law of Moses required that the priests, who are descendants of Levi, must collect a tithe from the rest of the people of Israel, who are also descendants of Abraham. But Melchizedek, who was not a descendant of Levi, collected a tenth from Abraham. And Melchizedek placed a blessing upon Abraham, the one who had already received the promises of God. And without question, the person who has the power to give a blessing is greater than the one who is blessed.
The priests who collect tithes are men who die, so Melchizedek is greater than they are, because we are told that he lives on. In addition, we might even say that these Levites—the ones who collect the tithe—paid a tithe to Melchizedek when their ancestor Abraham paid a tithe to him. For although Levi wasn’t born yet, the seed from which he came was in Abraham’s body when Melchizedek collected the tithe from him.
So if the priesthood of Levi, on which the law was based, could have achieved the perfection God intended, why did God need to establish a different priesthood, with a priest in the order of Melchizedek instead of the order of Levi and Aaron?
And if the priesthood is changed, the law must also be changed to permit it. For the priest we are talking about belongs to a different tribe, whose members have never served at the altar as priests.What I mean is, our Lord came from the tribe of Judah, and Moses never mentioned priests coming from that tribe.
This change has been made very clear since a different priest, who is like Melchizedek, has appeared. Jesus became a priest, not by meeting the physical requirement of belonging to the tribe of Levi, but by the power of a life that cannot be destroyed. And the psalmist pointed this out when he prophesied,

You are a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek.
Yes, the old requirement about the priesthood was set aside because it was weak and useless. For the law never made anything perfect. But now we have confidence in a better hope, through which we draw near to God.''

I intentionally gave the whole of Hebrews 7 for us to see for ourselves what the writer of Hebrew is saying concerning Christ keeping in mind what Christophany means !Remember,Melchizedek never appeared any where in the bible untill Genesis 14:18-20 and immediately after that HE went into thin air until Hebrew brought us to the proper understanding of who this BEING melchizedek truly is :
Melchizedek was referred to as ''KING OF JUSTICE''- I don't know any other person who is king of Justice other than JESUS !
Melchizedek was refered to as ''KING OF PEACE''- I don't know any other person who is king of Peace other than JESUS !
Melchizedek was said to be one without BEGINNING AND END-I don't know any other person who is without BEGINNING AND END other than JESUS !
Melchizedek was said to be one who is a ''PRIEST FOREVER'' -i don't know any other who is a priest forever other than JESUS !
Melchizedek was said to have no father or mother !- JESUS(no let Mary and Joseph deceive you o )
Melchizedek's greatness was recognized by Abraham the father of all with the promise !
Melchizedek' was not according to the law to receive tithe becos HE is neither from levetical or Aronic order yet HE received tithe. Remember Jesus lineage wasn't expected to be king untill the prophesy came and it happened !
Melchizedek blesses Abraham,one who has already received the promise of the blessing of God !
Pastors (priests i.e levetical or Aronic)will all die but Melchizedek lives forever !
Hebrew said Melchizedek resembles the son of God ! (You remember when King of Babylon said that the fourth man in the fire resembles the son of God)
Melchizedek is the King of Salem(Jerusalem) Who was refered to as the King of Jerusalem other than Jesus !
Melchizedek brought out bread and wine and blessed him. Who blessed wine and broke bread and shared to HIS disciples the night to HIS death ? JESUS !
The law which was only a shadow of what is to come has changed according to Hebrews 10:1 and what we do today as tithing was same as done by Abraham without the law ! Tithing never started with the law and can not end with the law. Abraham tithed from his heart to Jesus and not under compulsion becos there was no Law as at the time he tithed !
Jesus is our most high priest in the order of Melchizedek according to Hebrews 7. And if you want to know what Christ is doing for us today as a priest in the order of Melchizedek, go to Genesis 14:18-22 becos that was the only place Melchizedek was featured and we where told what he did ! Hebrews 5:5''For a man to hold the priesthood, he must be called of God as was Aaron—Christ was a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek—Jesus Christ is the Author of eternal salvation.'' We give our tithe today to Jesus just like Abraham did and he was blessed.For you to tap into the promises of Abraham as a christian haven accepted Christ,learn also to appreciate HIS goodness in ur life !
Abraham tithed not by rules,obligation or threat but by heart that trust the lord. If you love God,you don't need to be preached tithing to becos you know that all that you have belong to God! It is our trust and heart to believe God.Letting HIM know that our no 1 priority is the lord.
Hebrews 8:10 ''.....I will put my laws in their minds,and I will write them on their hearts.I will be their God,and they will be my people.'' It should be in the heart of men to tithe and not by the law of compulsion of any sort !

Let me conclude as i await to answer positive questions in relation to this subject or scripture as it were.
Tithe is not our but God's
He writes it in our heart
He expects it from us
It is commissioned before the law
Commanded during the law
Commended during the time of Jesus !

See below the promises of the lord concerning us when we tithe :
''I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test! Your crops will be abundant, for I will guard them from insects and disease. Your grapes will not fall from the vine before they are ripe,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.''
But only the spiritually connected will see how all the blessings relates to us that are mariners,doctors,bizness men,bankers and the likes today !
Tithing blesses both the church and the tither !
Remember,The letter(logos)killeth but the rhema (revelation)giveth light !

God bless us
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by frevangel(m): 1:30pm On Oct 07, 2013
One other thing I've noticed is that, some believers are not only lazy, they have outsourced the study of the word of God to their "MOG".

These same MOG's have taught them that those who study for themselves and act like the Berean church are, false and rebellious.
Like someone said already, when I stopped tithing, I actually had to deal with the fear of not tithing that was inculcated into me for many years.
I can remember being on a journey, and I would be afraid of accident just because I don't tithe etc.
That fear made my faith stronger as it was proof the teaching is of the devil.

Those who just jump into the thread, should please take time to go through and cross check every scripture given in context.
BE LIKE THE BEREAN CHURCH, THAT'S ALL WE ARE ASKING. And that's not too much to ask a Christian.

Acts 17
11 The people there were more open-minded than the people in Thessalonica. They listened to the message with great eagerness, and every day they studied the Scriptures to see if what Paul said was really true.

1 Like

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by frevangel(m): 1:32pm On Oct 07, 2013
Elliotwiz1: when you read the word of God, you dont read it like any other book, the letter killeth but the spirit giveth life, for you to understand the true word of God, you must read it and pray for the interpretation from the holy spirit else You'll end up bringing up devilish and rebellious doctrines.

Yeah, like you brought out tithing?

1 Like

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by PastorKun(m): 1:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
m.k.o2005:
Tithing Absolutely and Positively supported by the book of Hebrews in the New testament !

Hebrews 7:1-18
''This Melchizedek was king of the city of Salem and also a priest of God Most High. When Abraham was returning home after winning a great battle against the kings, Melchizedek met him and blessed him[b].Then Abraham took a tenth of all he had captured in battle and gave it to Melchizedek. [/b]The name Melchizedek means “king of justice,” and king of Salem means “king of peace.” There is no record of his father or mother or any of his ancestors—no beginning or end to his life. He remains a priest forever, resembling the Son of God.
Consider then how great this Melchizedek was. Even Abraham, the great patriarch of Israel, recognized this by giving him a tenth of what he had taken in battle. Now the law of Moses required that the priests, who are descendants of Levi, must collect a tithe from the rest of the people of Israel, who are also descendants of Abraham. But Melchizedek, who was not a descendant of Levi, collected a tenth from Abraham. And Melchizedek placed a blessing upon Abraham, the one who had already received the promises of God. And without question, the person who has the power to give a blessing is greater than the one who is blessed.
The priests who collect tithes are men who die, so Melchizedek is greater than they are, because we are told that he lives on. In addition, we might even say that these Levites—the ones who collect the tithe—paid a tithe to Melchizedek when their ancestor Abraham paid a tithe to him. For although Levi wasn’t born yet, the seed from which he came was in Abraham’s body when Melchizedek collected the tithe from him.
So if the priesthood of Levi, on which the law was based, could have achieved the perfection God intended, why did God need to establish a different priesthood, with a priest in the order of Melchizedek instead of the order of Levi and Aaron?
And if the priesthood is changed, the law must also be changed to permit it. For the priest we are talking about belongs to a different tribe, whose members have never served at the altar as priests.What I mean is, our Lord came from the tribe of Judah, and Moses never mentioned priests coming from that tribe.
This change has been made very clear since a different priest, who is like Melchizedek, has appeared. Jesus became a priest, not by meeting the physical requirement of belonging to the tribe of Levi, but by the power of a life that cannot be destroyed. And the psalmist pointed this out when he prophesied,

You are a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek.
Yes, the old requirement about the priesthood was set aside because it was weak and useless. For the law never made anything perfect. But now we have confidence in a better hope, through which we draw near to God.''

I intentionally gave the whole of Hebrews 7 for us to see for ourselves what the writer of Hebrew is saying concerning Christ keeping in mind what Christophany means !Remember,Melchizedek never appeared any where in the bible untill Genesis 14:18-20 and immediately after that HE went into thin air until Hebrew brought us to the proper understanding of who this BEING melchizedek truly is :
Melchizedek was referred to as ''KING OF JUSTICE''- I don't know any other person who is king of Justice other than JESUS !
Melchizedek was refered to as ''KING OF PEACE''- I don't know any other person who is king of Peace other than JESUS !
Melchizedek was said to be one without BEGINNING AND END-I don't know any other person who is without BEGINNING AND END other than JESUS !
Melchizedek was said to be one who is a ''PRIEST FOREVER'' -i don't know any other who is a priest forever other than JESUS !
Melchizedek was said to have no father or mother !- JESUS(no let Mary and Joseph deceive you o )
Melchizedek's greatness was recognized by Abraham the father of all with the promise !
Melchizedek' was not according to the law to receive tithe becos HE is neither from levetical or Aronic order yet HE received tithe. Remember Jesus lineage wasn't expected to be king untill the prophesy came and it happened !
Melchizedek blesses Abraham,one who has already received the promise of the blessing of God !
Pastors (priests i.e levetical or Aronic)will all die but Melchizedek lives forever !
Hebrew said Melchizedek resembles the son of God ! (You remember when King of Babylon said that the fourth man in the fire resembles the son of God)
Melchizedek is the King of Salem(Jerusalem) Who was refered to as the King of Jerusalem other than Jesus !
Melchizedek brought out bread and wine and blessed him. Who blessed wine and broke bread and shared to HIS disciples the night to HIS death ? JESUS !
The law which was only a shadow of what is to come has changed according to Hebrews 10:1 and what we do today as tithing was same as done by Abraham without the law ! Tithing never started with the law and can not end with the law. Abraham tithed from his heart to Jesus and not under compulsion becos there was no Law as at the time he tithed !
Jesus is our most high priest in the order of Melchizedek according to Hebrews 7. And if you want to know what Christ is doing for us today as a priest in the order of Melchizedek, go to Genesis 14:18-22 becos that was the only place Melchizedek was featured and we where told what he did ! Hebrews 5:5''For a man to hold the priesthood, he must be called of God as was Aaron—Christ was a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek—Jesus Christ is the Author of eternal salvation.'' We give our tithe today to Jesus just like Abraham did and he was blessed.For you to tap into the promises of Abraham as a christian haven accepted Christ,learn also to appreciate HIS goodness in ur life !
Abraham tithed not by rules,obligation or threat but by heart that trust the lord. If you love God,you don't need to be preached tithing to becos you know that all that you have belong to God! It is our trust and heart to believe God.Letting HIM know that our no 1 priority is the lord.
Hebrews 8:10 ''.....I will put my laws in their minds,and I will write them on their hearts.I will be their God,and they will be my people.'' It should be in the heart of men to tithe and not by the law of compulsion of any sort !

Let me conclude as i await to answer positive questions in relation to this subject or scripture as it were.
Tithe is not our but God's
He writes it in our heart
He expects it from us
It is commissioned before the law
Commanded during the law
Commended during the time of Jesus !

See below the promises of the lord concerning us when we tithe :
''I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test! Your crops will be abundant, for I will guard them from insects and disease. Your grapes will not fall from the vine before they are ripe,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.''
But only the spiritually connected will see how all the blessings relates to us that are mariners,doctors,bizness men,bankers and the likes today !
Tithing blesses both the church and the tither !
Remember,The letter(logos)killeth but the rhema (revelation)giveth light !

God bless us

Apart from the fact that I have always known you as a notorious twister of the gospel due to your love for collecting tithes, Hebrews 7 which you are trying to twist seals the lid on the coffin of the defunct tithe doctrine. Verse 11 makes it clear that the priesthood and the tithing law which supports it has changed whilst verse 18 which you deliberately omitted describes tithing as a weak useless and unprofitable law. If as you allude hebrews 7 supports your tithe scam how come it was never taught or practised by the early church? Infact tithing was not introduced to christianity until 585AD by the catholic church, over five hundred years after the establishment of christianity.
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by olivertwist: 2:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
Pastor Kun:

You are a real olivertwist smiley hope you don't twist scripture as well to justify your unscriptural act of tithing.

grin grin cheesy

My brother, like I said, I'm praying to God to give me the grace to be able to give more to God(note I said God, not man).

I've been deceived in the past by the devil regarding tithe. I've been deliberately disobedient to the word of God as regards tithes in the past and I know the consequences.

Brother, it's one thing not to pay your tithe, it's another thing going about preaching to people not to give their tithes to God. Remember this, if you don't obediently give your tithe to God, you may give it to Satan, directly or indirectly if you are not careful.

I'll rather advice you to concentrate your energy on the judicious use of tithes for the propagation of the kingdom of God. Shalom
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by PastorKun(m): 2:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
olivertwist:

grin grin cheesy

My brother, like I said, I'm praying to God to give me the grace to be able to give more to God(note I said God, not man).

I've been deceived in the past by the devil regarding tithe. I've been deliberately disobedient to the word of God as regards tithes in the past and I know the consequences.

Brother, it's one thing not to pay your tithe, it's another thing going about preaching to people not to give their tithes to God. Remember this, if you don't obediently give your tithe to God, you may give it to Satan, directly or indirectly if you are not careful.

I'll rather advice you to concentrate your energy on the judicious use of tithes for the propagation of the kingdom of God. Shalom

The bolded is another lie often told by tithe gospel merchants. I challenge you to quote scripture to support this heresy. Remember it's a grievous sin to add too or twist the word of God.
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by mko2005: 2:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
Pastor Kun:

Apart from the fact that I have always known you as a notorious twister of the gospel due to your love for collecting tithes, Hebrews 7 which you are trying to twist seals the lid on the coffin of the defunct tithe doctrine. Verse 11 makes it clear that the priesthood and the tithing law which supports it has changed whilst verse 18 which you deliberately omitted describes tithing as a weak useless and unprofitable law. If as you allude hebrews 7 supports your tithe scam how come it was never taught or practised by the early church? Infact tithing was not introduced to christianity until 585AD by the catholic church, over five hundred years after the establishment of christianity.
Thanks Kun for giving me the opportunity to explain more of this revelation to you !
Let us begin with verse 11 you quoted. This very verse infact makes it more clearer that Jesus owns the tithe and not the pastors ! For if the tithe is for the priests as some parts of the law opines and that it is okay for it to be so,then there will be no need for the writer of Hebrews to draw our attention to the Melchizedikal order which is the order of our Lord Jesus who owns the tithe and not the priests of Levi or Aronical order ! Hebrews reminded us of the final nail on the cofin of levetical tithing but admonished us to go ahead with the new testament tithing which is the tithing according to Melchzedical order which is solely for our lord Jesus Chrsit .And i put it to you again to tell me what Melchizedek who can be said to be 'Christ' collected tithe from Abraham,brought bread and wine and blessed Abaraham !
See below Scripture you quoted for urself :
Hebrews 7:11''So if the priesthood of Levi, on which the law was based, could have achieved the perfection God intended, ?'' God established the Melchizedikal order of Priesthood for us to go back to the original tithing as seen in Genesis 14:18-22 and not the levetical (Law)kind !
Hebrews 7:18''Yes, the old requirement about the priesthood was set aside because it was weak and useless.''
You said i omitted the above verse 18 Why will i do such deliberately when it indeed supported my stance and what the writer of Hebrews really want us to see ! The old requirement of tithing(Levetical or Aronic order) which was only a shadow of what is to come was set aside becos it was weak and contradict's the original plan(Melchizedical order of tithing) which is the tithing to our lord Jesus Christ !
Who told you that the early church never supported or taught tithing ? From when do you start counting as early church or which group of people will you consider as part of the early church ? Is there any church that can be earlier than the disciples and apostles ? If Hebrews can throw all it's weight and support for tithing,if also Christ can personally instruct us directly and indirectly to tithe,what other early church do i need ?
You say i twist scriptures becos i show you a rhema and you decide to go with the letters but remeber the letter killeth !

God help us

1 Like

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 07, 2013
When I stopped tithing some questions started popping out of the scriptures;
- Why do I claim to be a joint heir with Christ and still say God's cut is primarily 10%.
- How do I claim to have the spirit of God leading me but run back to the letter(10% tithe) when it came to my money.
- Why do these preachers never mention the fact that Abraham not only titled but he gave away the remaining 90%.
- If tithing was taught by Peter and the early apostles, why didn't Annias and Sapphira just pay their tithe and walk away like most of us do now.
- How come it was never mentioned that Dorcas was a great tither? Would the church today have paid any attention to her death?

I know without any shadow of doubt that I am still far away from where and what I ought to be but I thank God for his grace and unflinching love.

GOD IS LOVE,

4 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Nobody: 3:31pm On Oct 07, 2013
NICE AND WONDERFUL THREAD...HAVE READ ALL THE POST HERE FRM PAGE 0...THE TRUTH ABOUT TITHING IS VERY OBVIOUS..THE BIBLE SAYS "FREELY HAVE WE RECEIVED FROM GOD AND FREELY SHALL WE ALSO GIVE" I DONT NID TO BRIBE GOD WIT 10% OF MY INCOME BEFORE I ATTRACT HIS BLESSING..EVERYTHING I AVE IS because OF HIS GRACE AND MERCY NOT because OF ANY "TITHE" @pastor Kun,fr evangel,christembassy, and odas...PLS CONTINUE TO ENLIGHTEN ODA PPL...I JUST DISCOVERED NOW DAT I HAVE BEEN READING AND NOT STUDYINGTHE BIBLE EVER SINCE..GOD BLESS YOU ALL..

3 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Candour(m): 3:39pm On Oct 07, 2013
Processor01: When I stopped tithing some questions started popping out of the scriptures;
- Why do I claim to be a joint heir with Christ and still say God's cut is primarily 10%.
- How do I claim to have the spirit of God leading me but run back to the letter(10% tithe) when it came to my money.
- Why do these preachers never mention the fact that Abraham not only titled but he gave away the remaining 90%.
- If tithing was taught by Peter and the early apostles, why didn't Annias and Sapphira just pay their tithe and walk away like most of us do now.
- How come it was never mentioned that Dorcas was a great tither? Would the church today have paid any attention to her death?

I know without any shadow of doubt that I am still far away from where and what I ought to be but I thank God for his grace and unflinching love.

GOD IS LOVE,

Continue your inquiries and observations. They are indeed refreshing.

God bless you brother
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
@pastor kun,fr evangel,candour etc what of the Old testament blessings dose the New convenant makes the old testaments blessings INVALID?
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:53pm On Oct 07, 2013
chronique:

I'm not surprised at this thread. My bible clearly tells me that there shall be false prophets and false doctrines preached as some of the signs of the endtime,insomuch that even the very elect might be confused/misled. However,it advices me to watch and pray steadfastly and hold on to that(the word of God) which I have received,lest it be taken away from me. Every male child that openeth the womb of man or animal,was given to God as tithe in the old testament. Your tithe is 1/10th of your increase. When you give your tithe to God,it does not "necessarily" need to come back to you as a financial increase. God is not a money doubler. Your tithe could work for you in several ways. Paying tithe could just be the reason why you have sound health or why you're still alive. Pay your tithe to God and he will decide where,when,how and through what medium he wants to bless you. Even if you have all the money in the world,you cannot buy good health or life. The only reason I won't pay tithe is if I'm not earning a dime.

To those who say God does not exist: if only you guys can prove to me how you were created or came into existence,I'd believe you. Since I can't prove how man came into existence other than the biblical account given,I'd choose to go with my scriptures. I'd rather live my life as a fool,believing that heaven n hell is real and finding out later that they are not real,than discarding them away as pure fallacies and finding out one day(when it would be too late) that they're real.

Many of those anti tithers are "atheists," its just that they don't say it with their mouths.
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Goshen360(m): 4:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
Osahon7: @pastor kun,fr evangel,candour etc what of the Old testament blessings dose the New convenant makes the old testaments blessings INVALID?

Blessings in the old was attached to we 'doing' but new Covenant blessings is because of what Christ had 'done'
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by guysmat(m): 4:08pm On Oct 07, 2013
If you must pay tithe, then know that the tithe is for YOU. To be eaten in the Lord's presence alone with all members of your families. Not for you to give your hard earned salary to another person to enjoy at your own detriment.. The truth shall set you free. Please read Deuteronomy 14:22-29 and see what is never preached to you in church about tithing. But we thank God for Jesus who came to tell us that he doesn't need your money. You can't buy His love, you can't buy forgiveness and neither can you buy life. Your life has already been paid for in full. All the Lord wants is the development of your personal relationship with him. Whether you're rich or poor is highly irrelevant to this matter. What matters is how you relate with Him in private. Remember, despite all the good you think you're doing in this life, if you have no love in you, you won't make it to heaven. Shalom!
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Goshen360(m): 4:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Many of those anti tithers are "atheists," its just that they don't say it with their mouths.

Why are you like this talking from both sides of your mouth? On one thread, you said God doesnt care how much a Christian gives; on another thread, you fix percentage of 10 to same Christians you said God doesn't care how much they give. Who then is an atheist?
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by olivertwist: 4:16pm On Oct 07, 2013
Pastor Kun:

The bolded is another lie often told by tithe gospel merchants. I challenge you to quote scripture to support this heresy. Remember it's a grievous sin to add too or twist the word of God.

As you can see, so far, I've not quoted any scripture cos I know even Satan tried to deceive his creator- Jesus Christ by quoting scriptures.

But what I'm sure of is that, I'm not sinning against God by paying my tithe.

1 Like

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by mko2005: 4:32pm On Oct 07, 2013
guysmat: If you must pay tithe, then know that the tithe is for YOU. To be eaten in the Lord's presence alone with all members of your families. Not for you to give your hard earned salary to another person to enjoy at your own detriment.. The truth shall set you free. Please read Deuteronomy 14:22-29 and see what is never preached to you in church about tithing. But we thank God for Jesus who came to tell us that he doesn't need your money. You can't buy His love, you can't buy forgiveness and neither can you buy life. Your life has already been paid for in full. All the Lord wants is the development of your personal relationship with him. Whether you're rich or poor is highly irrelevant to this matter. What matters is how you relate with Him in private. Remember, despite all the good you think you're doing in this life, if you have no love in you, you won't make it to heaven. Shalom!
You obviously don't understand what tithing is !
The grace of God sure brought salvation and there is nothing the devil can do about that but our God is a God of principle ! To be above there are things that MUST be activated !
These are spiritual biblical matters !

God help us
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by mko2005: 4:48pm On Oct 07, 2013
Goshen360:

Blessings in the old was attached to we 'doing' but new Covenant blessings is because of what Christ had 'done'
You got it all wrong ! In the old,we struggle to do as written in the books of the Law but in the New testament Christ helps us to do as these same laws are written in our hearts ! We can do all things through Christ that strenghtens
Hebrews 8:10''For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people''
Today we should be tithing out of love and appreciation and not under compulsion with grudge ! If you truly love God,you will tithe without ur pastor having to say a word on it !

God help us
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Candour(m): 4:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
Osahon7: @pastor kun,fr evangel,candour etc what of the Old testament blessings dose the New convenant makes the old testaments blessings INVALID?

You see my bro, this your question is a whole new topic because it will demarcate between the Old and new covenants. suffice to say that Israel who had the old covenant of the law were God's people with earthly promises while the Church that is the beneficiary of the new covenant of Grace are God's people with heavenly promises. The blessings in Deuteronomy are not for the Church. They were for Israel based on their obedience to the Mosaic law. Our blessings which are based on the promises made to Abraham will crystallize when Christ comes back to set up his heavenly kingdom on earth to fulfill what God promised to Abraham.

See what Paul said under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit

Eph 1:3
'Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ'

Col 3:1-2
'If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.2.Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth'

Christ already set the stage for these statements when he said the following
Matt 6:19-20
'Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:20.But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:21.For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also'

As Christians in this world, we are to work hard and God has promised to meet our needs. However in terms of the physical blessings, a Christian is not at any advantage than the heathen. see what Christ said

Matt 5:45
'That ye may be the children of your father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and the unjust'

God blesses both the good and the bad and that is why you see atheists, muslims, hindus etc prosper the same way some Christians too prosper. Infact you'll find few Christians among the wealthiest on earth today and that should tell you something. God has promised not to leave nor forsake us(Heb 13:5) and Christ has promised to meet our needs(Matt 6:31-34) and he has asked us not to fear because we are indeed valuable to him(Matt 10:28-31).

We are not to fear any devil or his cohorts because

Col 2:14-15
'Blotting out the handwritten of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;15.And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it'

Phil 2:10
'That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;'

Rom 8:31-32
'What shall we then say to these things? if God be for us, who can be against us?32.He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all thing?'

My brother, you can see we are very adequately covered in the new covenant of grace and it's all free with no cost attached. All we need do is believe. We should also not be led by covetousness and greed as Christ has already told us.

Hope this answers your question but if any other question exists, feel free to air it. Had to do this in a hurry

God bless us all as we strive to know more of him.

2 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by christemmbassey(m): 5:09pm On Oct 07, 2013
yes, bc d provisions therein failed and bcame obsolete and could nt save man(acts 13:38-39, rm8:1-4, gal 3:16, and hebrews 7:18 for there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going befor for WEAKNESS AND UNPROFITABLENESS THEREOF. 19. For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a BETTER HOPE did, by which we draw neigh onto God. (KJV) pls study hebrews caps 7, 8,9 and 10, it will bless u.

1 Like

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Goshen360(m): 5:14pm On Oct 07, 2013
m.k.o2005:

You got it all wrong ! In the old,we struggle to do as written in the books of the Law but in the New testament Christ helps us to do as these same laws are written in our hearts ! We can do all things through Christ that strenghtens
Hebrews 8:10''For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people''
Today we should be tithing out of love and appreciation and not under compulsion with grudge ! If you truly love God,you will tithe without ur pastor having to say a word on it !

God help us

Are you. saying you received Christ and the holy spirit to help you obey the mosaic laws? If this is what you saying, lemme know so I can quote some mosaic laws and you tell us how Christ or holy spirit help you to fulfill them. And please, when I do, don't tell us some laws are ceremonial, while some are sacrificial because I will ask you where you also get such distinction from.
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by mko2005: 5:19pm On Oct 07, 2013
christemmbassey: yes, bc d provisions therein failed and bcame obsolete and could nt save man(acts 13:38-39, rm8:1-4, gal 3:16, and hebrews 7:18 for there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going befor for WEAKNESS AND UNPROFITABLENESS THEREOF. 19. For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a BETTER HOPE did, by which we draw neigh onto God. (KJV) pls study hebrews caps 7, 8,9 and 10, it will bless u.
Are you telling this young man that the new testament invalidated the blessings in the old testaments ! If that is what you mean by yes above,then how can you explain below scripture :
Galatians 3:14''T[b]hat the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith[/b].'' Please don't teach heresy becos you do not support a ''RHEMA'' in the scriptures !

God help ur children who thinks they stand !

God help us
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by christemmbassey(m): 5:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
m.k.o2005:

Are you telling this young man that the new testament invalidated the blessings in the old testaments ! If that is what you mean by yes above,then how can you explain below scripture :
Galatians 3:14''T[b]hat the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith[/b].'' Please don't teach heresy becos you do not support a ''RHEMA'' in the scriptures !

God help us
what is the blessing of Abraham? Thats d key.

1 Like

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Goshen360(m): 5:27pm On Oct 07, 2013
m.k.o2005:

God help us

Bros e, the blessing of Abraham is simply Christ. In Christ, we are blessed or sharing the blessing promised to Abraham Abi na Abraham cattle and silver you sharing from? grin

2 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Goshen360(m): 5:28pm On Oct 07, 2013
christemmbassey: what is the blessing of Abraham? Thats d key.

Oh, I don give bros expo o before I saw your kweshun o..lolz grin Abeg how person fit edit him post sef? grin
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by PastorKun(m): 5:37pm On Oct 07, 2013
Goshen360:

Bros e, the blessing of Abraham is simply Christ. In Christ, we are blessed or sharing the blessing promised to Abraham Abi na Abraham cattle and silver you sharing from? grin

Thanx for this Goshen, It's amazing these people claim to be christians yet they have no clue what Abraham's blessing they keep claiming is. They probably assume his blessing is the gold and silver the bible said he was rich in.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply)

Leke Adeboye Denies Osun Election Comment: 'Na Lie, I Checked If I Was Hacked' / Apostle Suleman To Launch Mobile Network In The UK / Why I Believe Stephanie Otobo Is Lying Against Apostle Sulieman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.