Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,514 members, 7,816,250 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here - Religion (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here (37375 Views)

My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing / Some Of Pastor E.A Adeboye's Testimonies / Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by mko2005: 4:44pm On Oct 08, 2013
fr_evangel:

You have not answered my questions, not even an attempt.
I actually want us to study it together. So it will be nice to get your replies when you are able.
It's okay, Wish you well.
The Grace of Our Lord Jesus be with you.
Thanks for the bolded above !
I have up to 40 mins to put up here with you guys for today and i do hope something comes out of this ! But olivertwist said i should harking unto the words of Apostle Paul regarding argument but i have a feeling that so many will learn from what i'm been lead by God to drop here regarding HIS words. And i'm not responding to anyone here trying to coerce or convince fr_evangel,goshen,kun,frosbel or even christ embassy but i know people will be liberated and tithe to God out of love for his blessings upon their lives and for the furtherance of the gospel !
Fr_evangel, what do you mean by WHERE ? Let us start with the '[b]WHER[/b]E' first ! Awaiting ur response !

God help us
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by mko2005: 4:47pm On Oct 08, 2013
christemmbassey: God is nt a trader, pls go n work, stop hiding behind God's tithe of agric produce to defraud ppl. Repent now.
It's like asking me not to pray anymore since i work or better still not to believe in God since science has 'made almost everything available' !
You wonder why atheist don't believe in God and some 'christians' say Jesus is not the only way to get to God !

God help us
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by mko2005: 5:03pm On Oct 08, 2013
Pastor Kun: @MKO2005
Which one is Melchizedek order of tithing again Do you have to introduce your own terminology into scripture to establish a fraud Or how does one conclude that a one off event is an order of something?
I gave you scripture and not my words ! Spiritual matters are not letters !
Melchizedek(Jesus) blessed Abraham !
Melchizedek(Jesus) brought wine and bread !
Melchizedek(Jesus) received tithe from Abraham !
The 'order' which he carried out the above three spiritual exercises were Melchizedikal ! Hence the saying ; THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK !
You should understand the above becos that was all Melchizedek did in HIS entire life that was recorded but if you don't understand these sayings,there is nothing i can do !
Hebrews 5:11''There is much more we would like to say about this, but it is difficult to explain, especially since you are spiritually dull and don't seem to listen.''

God help us
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by PastorKun(m): 5:07pm On Oct 08, 2013
m.k.o2005:

I gave you scripture and not my words ! Spiritual matters are not letters !
Melchizedek(Jesus) blessed Abraham !
Melchizedek(Jesus) brought wine and bread !
Melchizedek(Jesus) received tithe from Abraham !
The 'order' which he carried out the above three spiritual exercises were Melchizedikal ! Hence the saying ; THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK !
You should understand the above becos that was all Melchizedek did in HIS entire life that was recorded but if you don't understand these sayings,there is nothing i can do !
Hebrews 5:11''There is much more we would like to say about this, but it is difficult to explain, especially since you are spiritually dull and don't seem to listen.''

God help us

You are obvious forcing your fraudulent opinion into scriptures as the scriptures clearly do not say all you have alleged/made up here.

2 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by frevangel(m): 5:17pm On Oct 08, 2013
m.k.o2005:

Thanks for the bolded above !
I have up to 40 mins to put up here with you guys for today and i do hope something comes out of this ! But olivertwist said i should harking unto the words of Apostle Paul regarding argument but i have a feeling that so many will learn from what i'm been lead by God to drop here regarding HIS words. And i'm not responding to anyone here trying to coerce or convince fr_evangel,goshen,kun,frosbel or even christ embassy but i know people will be liberated and tithe to God out of love for his blessings upon their lives and for the furtherance of the gospel !
Fr_evangel, what do you mean by WHERE ? Let us start with the '[b]WHER[/b]E' first ! Awaiting ur response !

God help us

Here's what I asked:

Like I asked, please explain chronologically, tithing as seen in the Bible. The purpose and pattern.
The WHY, WHAT, HOW and WHEN from the scriptures.

And please do not give "us" what you think or some special "rhema". I mean show us from the scriptures so I can confirm for myself as that's how Bible teachings are suppose to be.
Follow it exactly as I have listed, why (purpose), what (items to tithe according to the bible), how (the way it was done in the scriptures, who qualified to receive tithe), when (the timing and criteria for tithing a particular item)

4 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by mko2005: 5:20pm On Oct 08, 2013
Pastor Kun:

You are obvious forcing your fraudulent opinion into scriptures as the scriptures clearly do not say all you have alleged/made up here.
You know the scripture said all i have been saying but you are finding it difficult to accept it cos it will be difficult for you to turn arround and start teaching heaven bound Christians how to tithe the new testament way as taught by the writer of Hebrews,Jesus and even our Father Abraham and Jacob ! But if it's true that you still don't understand,then you need a 'GREAT FULL' of the holy spirit to help you after all there were insights released to Apostle Paul that weren't released to the early prophets !

GOD HELP US ALL
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by mko2005: 6:04pm On Oct 08, 2013
fr_evangel:

Here's what I asked:

And please do not give "us" what you think or some special "rhema". I mean show us from the scriptures so I can confirm for myself as that's how Bible teachings are suppose to be.
The first man that ever tithed was Abraham - Genesis 14:18-20
The second man that ever tithed or vowed to tithe even after God has promised to bless him was Jacob-Genesis 28:20-22
From the two accounts,it is very very clear that the LAW never introduced tithing ! We all know that the Law itself was given after the exodus from Egypt ! Abraham tithed 640yrs before the Law and his son Jacob tithed 445yrs before the Law.
Who instructed these men to tithe ? May be i should leave it to you for an answer but i sure know that there were no Law except that it was written in their heart,or God must hav spoken to them to do so or out of their Love for God and to show appreciation ,they decided to do so especially Abraham,but for his son Jacob,it could be that grand pa taught him and he decided to vow tithing 'as a way to a covenant (deal) with God 'But trust God to always be faithful !
What did we see with the tithing of Abraham to Melchizedek ! It was not out of compulsion or threat but out of Love and appreciation for it was after he was blessed that he gave HIM a tenth of everything !
How about with the tithing of Jacob ?- It was also God has pronounced his blessings on Jacob that Jacob spoke about tithing ! But he did it a different way from his grand pa,Abraham. See below that God already pronounced HIS blessings that will sure come to pass becos HE IS GOD ! :
Genesis 28:13-15''There above it stood the Lord, and he said: “I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying. Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring. I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.''
As Jacob heard about these things,he decided to strike a deal with God by vowing to tithe ! See below :
Genesis 28:20-22''Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.
From the Above scriptures,we can see clearly that these two were never told to tithe but they did,they were never rebuked for doing so by God and they did it out of Love and concern and the perfect acknowledgement that it is God who favors one and must be appreciated any how ! I believe that apart from tithing they were equally involved in giving other kinds or praise,offering and thanks giving but still they tithed ! This is Love ! I can be lead to tithe this way but not forced or threatened to do so ! This is not law but a pre-Law tithing which is the original kind of tithing !
Now for people who say we are not under the law and can no longer tithe,i put it to them that it was not law that introduced tithing but law towed same line but in a different way other than this seen in Genesis !
Since Law did not introduce tithing,how then are we expected to make do away with tithing that was not introduced by law ? You remember when the people said to Jesus in Mathew 19:7-8''“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?” Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.''
The above scripture takes us to how tithing changed according to the provision of the Law ! The Levetical order of tithing isn't God's original plan for tithing. God's original plan for tithing started with Abraham and not the Laws ! The Laws were commanded for a reason ! It's only a shadow of what is to come,that is back to statusquo !

OOOOOPPPPPPSSSS ! Bible study please !
Will revert with the flow of tithing from pre-Law,During LAW and post Law as you requested ! And the patterns as commanded by Christ.
Thanks For giving me this opportunity to encourage the brethren who appreciate the works of God in their lives !
NOTE: We will get to see if tithing can take one to heaven or not !

God help us all

1 Like

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by honeric01(m): 6:43pm On Oct 08, 2013
^^^

geez! Is a one off thing considered a tithe or a vow?

Is vow and tithe same?

How can you link both together?

All these just to appear 'right'?

GOD HAVE MERCY!

4 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Tayeni(m): 7:13pm On Oct 08, 2013
honeric01: ^^^

geez! Is a one off thing considered a tithe or a vow?

Is vow and tithe same?

How can you link both together?

All these just to appear 'right'?

GOD HAVE MERCY!
you took d words out of my mouth! In both cases, (Abram and Jacob)they vowed to give one tenth........it wasn't a command or law requiring them to do so. Those weren't d norm.......those were exceptional cases.

3 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 08, 2013
m.k.o2005:

The second man that ever tithed or vowed to tithe even after God has promised to bless him was Jacob-Genesis 28:20-22
From the two accounts,it is very very clear that the LAW never introduced tithing ! We all know that the Law itself was given after the exodus from Egypt ! Abraham tithed 640yrs before the Law and his son Jacob tithed 445yrs before the Law.
Who instructed these men to tithe ? May be i should leave it to you for an answer but i sure know that there were no Law except that it was written in their heart,or God must hav spoken to them to do so or out of their Love for God and to show appreciation ,they decided to do so especially Abraham,but for his son Jacob,it could be that grand pa taught him and he decided to vow tithing 'as a way to a covenant (deal) with God 'But trust God to always be faithful !
What did we see with the tithing of Abraham to Melchizedek ! It was not out of compulsion or threat but out of Love and appreciation for it was after he was blessed that he gave HIM a tenth of everything !
How about with the tithing of Jacob ?- It was also God has pronounced his blessings on Jacob that Jacob spoke about tithing ! But he did it a different way from his grand pa,Abraham. See below that God already pronounced HIS blessings that will sure come to pass becos HE IS GOD ! :
Genesis 28:13-15''There above it stood the Lord, and he said: “I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying. Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring. I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.''
As Jacob heard about these things,he decided to strike a deal with God by vowing to tithe ! See below :
Genesis 28:20-22''Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.
From the Above scriptures,we can see clearly that these two were never told to tithe but they did,they were never rebuked for doing so by God and they did it out of Love and concern and the perfect acknowledgement that it is God who favors one and must be appreciated any how ! I believe that apart from tithing they were equally involved in giving other kinds or praise,offering and thanks giving but still they tithed ! This is Love ! I can be lead to tithe this way but not forced or threatened to do so ! This is not law but a pre-Law tithing which is the original kind of tithing !
Now for people who say we are not under the law and can no longer tithe,i put it to them that it was not law that introduced tithing but law towed same line but in a different way other than this seen in Genesis !
Since Law did not introduce tithing,how then are we expected to make do away with tithing that was not introduced by law ? You remember when the people said to Jesus in Mathew 19:7-8''“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?” Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.''
The above scripture takes us to how tithing changed according to the provision of the Law ! The Levetical order of tithing isn't God's original plan for tithing. God's original plan for tithing started with Abraham and not the Laws ! The Laws were commanded for a reason ! It's only a shadow of what is to come,that is back to statusquo !

Will revert with the flow of tithing from pre-Law,During LAW and post Law as you requested ! And the patterns as commanded by Christ.
Thanks For giving me this opportunity to encourage the brethren who appreciate the works of God in their lives !

God help us all

A vow and a tithe are 2 different things and it was of their own free will and not a command. In Abrahams case he was already blessed before tithing and didnt need to tithe to be blessed. In Christ we already have all spiritual blessings in heavenly places therefore do not require to tithe in order to get them. Tithing is of the law and not of grace.

Under the Old covenant God promised blessings for Israel’s obedience to the commandments and curses for their disobedience to the commandments. In the New Testament, once the new covenant is established to tithe is being disobedient, to give freely is being obedient.

3 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by honeric01(m): 7:51pm On Oct 08, 2013
Tayeni: you took d words out of my mouth! In both cases, (Abram and Jacob)they vowed to give one tenth........it wasn't a command or law requiring them to do so. Those weren't d norm.......those were exceptional cases.

Imagine the length some persons are ready to go just to defend their ' worldly material' gains.

Is this even how the old testament practised tithing?

Turning the bible upside down for their own benefits. GOD'S TRULY MERCIFUL!

1 Like

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by frevangel(m): 8:15pm On Oct 08, 2013
m.k.o2005:

Great points you made here. let me point them out.
1. They both made a decision out of their own will, compare that with 2 Cor 9:7;
2. Abraham we are told gave tithe ONLY this time. But we are told Abraham gave offerings to God. Before Abraham, Abel and Cain did, Noah did. But n this case, Abraham gave a tenth, we are not told at other times, if it was a tenth or any orther percentage.
3. Both Abraham and Jacob received the blessing before they gave tithe.
4. Jacob vowed to give God a tithe on condition, hence it was not an obligation.
5. Note it was not a pre-requisite for blessing/breakthrough for both of them.

You are also right that God inspired them to give or vow to give a tenth. God also did at other times they offered sacrifices and offereings to Him. God is the one too that inspires believers to give today. If as a believer God cannot tell you to give, you have not started.
Note, God puts it in your heart, not the Pastor or the law making it a pre-requisite for blessing/breakthrough. You got this right too. Again, read 2 Cor 9:7.

Genesis 28:20-22''Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.”

You need to read this again and see that Jacob was actually in doubt of God’s promises to him because of his personality, a swindler/deceiver! You missed that. The blessing God gave to Jacob had no pre-requisite for it in the form of Jacob giving or tithing. Jacob was already blessed, remember? He just wasn't sure of it.

You missed something again. Abraham didn’t tithe as you claim, rather, he gave a tenth part of the spoil and this was WILLFULL GIVING. Read 2 Cor 9:7; Jacob on the other hand vowed a tenth part of ALL the Lord will give him. HE GAVE GOD CONDITION. This was not a tithe as you know it today but a vow. Any believer can vow to give God whatever percentage, but it MUST NOT BE UNDER COMPULSION. It is clear even in your own explanation.

Here you totally twist it.
1. Both Abraham and Jacob didn’t talk about tithing THEIR MONEY. I know we have been told that their crop, livestiock etc, was their “money”, again, that is a lie. See scripture below:

Gen_17:12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.

Deu 14:22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
Deu 14:23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
Deu 14:24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
Deu 14:25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
Deu 14:26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
Deu 14:27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

Deu 14:28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
Deu 14:29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

In referring to the 3rd form of tithing, God instructed them to change the TITHE TO MONEY, take the MONEY TO THE PLACE AND CONVERT IT BACK TO STUFFS THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO TITHE. You can't miss that
2. Money was mentioned about 101 times in the Old Testament alone, so you can’t tell me money was the right thing to tithe. Remember I asked you for the WHAT?

Jesus Christ DID NOT COMMAND TITHING. His APOSTLES did not, so I don’t know where you got this.
I appreciate that you are studying for yourself now.
May God grant us more wisdom and desire to keep our foundations deeper in his word.

2 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by democrazy(m): 8:16pm On Oct 08, 2013
The words of Apostle Paul

1 Cor.9:7-13

7 Who serves as a soldier at his own expense?
Who plants a vineyard and does not eat its grapes?
Who tends a flock and does not drink the milk?
8 Do I say this merely on human authority?
Doesn’t the Law say the same thing?
9 For it is written in the Law of Moses: “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.”[b]
Is it about oxen that God is concerned? 10 Surely he says this for us, doesn’t he?
Yes, this was written for us, because whoever plows and threshes should be able to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest.
11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?
12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more?
But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.
13 Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar?
14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Note the last bolded part, 'The Lord has commanded'.
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by frevangel(m): 8:36pm On Oct 08, 2013
Gen_17:12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.

Deu 14:22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
Deu 14:23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
Deu 14:24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
Deu 14:25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
Deu 14:26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
Deu 14:27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

Deu 14:28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
Deu 14:29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

I had to take this out to make some more notes.

1. The purpose is clearly stated. PROVISION for the LEVITES and others you are to EAT YOUR TITHE WITH.
2. Tithing was not about money. Else, why would God tell you to convert your tithe to money and back to tithe of whatever animal, crop, drink you desire?
3. This was the 3rd form of tithing done, once in 3 years, in the year of tithing. How come tithe preachers don't talk about it today. Is it because it had to do with giving your tithe to the less privilege. Some have even taught that you CANNOT give your tithe to the needy, negating the scriptures in this 3rd form of tithing. If you are going to practice tithing, why not practice all forms of tithing?

Let God be true, and every and any man be a liar.

I asked for the WHY, WHAT, HOW, and WHEN. But @mko2005, you have't stated them.
The purpose, what you are suppose to tithe, the way you are to do it (forms of tithing mention in the Bible) and when does something qualify for tithe with whom are we to give.

Who did Jacob give tithe to?
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by frevangel(m): 8:44pm On Oct 08, 2013
democrazy: The words of Apostle Paul

1 Cor.9:7-13

7 Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink the milk? 8 Do I say this merely on human authority? Doesn’t the Law say the same thing? 9 For it is written in the Law of Moses: “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.”[b] Is it about oxen that God is concerned? 10 Surely he says this for us, doesn’t he? [/b]Yes, this was written for us, because whoever plows and threshes should be able to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest. [b]11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you? [/b]12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more?

[b]But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

13 Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

I don't know why you quoted this but it is obviously not talking about tithing. This can be used to justify general giving and contribution.
It is right we take care of our pastors. It is very Godly to do so. Again, it should be willfully, not under compulsion. 2 Cor 9:7;
Certainly God will honour and bless us for it when we do.

1 Like

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by democrazy(m): 8:48pm On Oct 08, 2013
Deleted
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by democrazy(m): 8:51pm On Oct 08, 2013
fr_evangel:

I don't know why you quoted this but it is obviously not talking about tithing. This can be used to justify general giving and contribution.
It is right we take care of our pastors. It is very Godly to do so. Again, it should be willfully, not under compulsion. 2 Cor 9:7;
Certainly God will honour and bless us for it when we do.

Why did Paul refer to the Law in this case.
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by frevangel(m): 9:17pm On Oct 08, 2013
democrazy:

Why did Paul refer to the Law in this case.

Paul quoted the portion of the law in verse 9.
But he was referring to the labourer being catered for.
Verse 11 and 12 that you quoted explains it:
"If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?"
"If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more?"

I;m hoping you already know that Paul's letters was not written in verses and chapters but for the purpose of easy reference, verses and chapters were introduced.
Paul went on talking to the Church in Corinth. In verse 7 of 2 Cor 9: He showed how this giving in should be done:

"2Co 9:7 You should each give, then, as you have decided, not with regret or out of a sense of duty; for God loves the one who gives gladly. "

Like I said earlier, I believe we should take care of our pastors, and church leaders, but this should be willful contributions.
Note Paul did not tell them if they don't they CANNOT PROSPER, or that they should CONNECT TO SPECIAL GRACE for SPECIAL BREAKTHROUGH etc.
It was not a pre-requisite for them to receive God's blessing. Yes, we get blessed when we give, to our pastors, church leaders, the needy, the brethren, strangers, our siblings and parents etc.
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by ashieduplus(m): 10:01pm On Oct 08, 2013
m.k.o2005:

The above scripture takes us to how tithing changed according to the provision of the Law ! The Levetical order of tithing isn't God's original plan for tithing. God's original plan for tithing started with Abraham and not the Laws ! The Laws were commanded for a reason ! It's only a shadow of what is to come,that is back to statusquo
God help us all

So by implication God Almighty moved from the substance (Abraham's Tithe) to shadows (Levitical tithe)?
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by democrazy(m): 11:27pm On Oct 08, 2013
Thanks @ fr Evangel.

What do you say about this:

Question: Did Jesus pay a tithe of any kind? Did his disciples pay a tithe of any kind?

Answer:

Matthew 17:24-27 shows us that Jesus paid some tribute money that He was not really obligated to pay. "And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute? He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee."

Jesus is the King of Kings, and Lord of Lords. Thus, He would not be obligated to pay any type of a tribute payment. People would be obligated to pay Him, not the other way around. Revelation 19:16 says, "And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS."

Despite any clear reference to Jesus or the disciples paying tithes, we would naturally assume that the disciples did, for sure.. Probably Jesus did, as well, as an example to others. Jesus is God, so He would not owe tithes to man, but man would owe tithes to Him.

Here are some references to show that Jesus may have tithed just for the sake of being a righteous example. First, because that is why He submitted to baptism. Matthew 3:13-15 says, "Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him."

John the Baptist knew, that, as a man, he was not worthy of baptizing Jesus, nor did Jesus need to be baptized. Baptism pictures death to the old life of sin, and a new life serving the Lord. In the case of Jesus, He never once sinned. II Corinthians 5:21 says, "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." But Jesus submitted to baptism to identify Himself with John’s message of righteousness from heaven.

I Peter 2:21,22 says, "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, LEAVING US AN EXAMPLE, THAT YE SHOULD FOLLOW HIS STEPS: Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth" If Jesus submitted Himself to baptism to fulfil all righteousness and to leave an example for us, then we would naturally assume that He would have paid tithes for the same reason.

The disciples obviously were concerned with obeying the Old Testament Law, so they no doubt paid tithes. Later, Peter made it clear that he very strictly observed the Law when it came to eating, so he no doubt took even more seriously the matter of tithing. Acts 10:10-16 says, "On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I HAVE NEVER EATEN ANY THING THAT IS COMMON OR UNCLEAN. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven."

Another reason that Jesus probably paid tithes, was that HE CAME TO LEAD PEOPLE — NOT TO DRIVE THEM TO DO THINGS WHICH HE WAS NOT WILLING TO DO HIMSELF. John 10:27 says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and THEY FOLLOW ME." He clearly criticized religious leaders who told the people to do things which they themselves were not will to do. Matthew 23:1-4 says, "Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for THEY SAY, AND DO NOT. For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers."

Tithing could be looked at by some as a heavy burden, if the leader himself was not willing to tithe, too. Even the priests in the Old Testament, who lived off from the tithes of God’s people, also had to pay tithes themselves. Numbers 18:26 says, "Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, WHEN YE TAKE OF THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL THE TITHES which I have given you from them for your inheritance, THEN YE SHALL OFFER UP an heave offering of it for the LORD, even A TENTH PART OF THE TITHE."

Based upon the previous Scriptures, I would say that Jesus and the disciples would have practiced tithing.
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by honeric01(m): 11:43pm On Oct 08, 2013
`^^^^

May God have mercy!

What was paid by Jesus in that passage was tax and nothing like tithe. I wonder how people study the bible.

As it was a custom in that era (when the romans ruled israel), every adult citizens were expected to pay some form of tax (tribute) within the territory governed. How someone could link this into being 'tithe' in the context of what's being discussed here beats my imagination.

All these assumptions are really doing a disservice to the living truth imbibed in the word of God.

Why are people hell bent in justifying tithe (esp monetary) and not the rest of the OT laws?

That passage is as clear as daylight.
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by God2man(m): 12:00am On Oct 09, 2013
Great job by m.k.o 2005.

This thread is even opening the eyes of understanding of people about the message of tithing.

Wonderful!

God bless you.
God2man.

1 Like

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Joagbaje(m): 4:59am On Oct 09, 2013
m.k.o2005:

Great truth brother
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by PastorKun(m): 6:41am On Oct 09, 2013
@democrazy
Given the long treatise you wrote and all the instances you referred to upon which you based your errornous assumption that Jesus and the apostles must have tithed in compliance with the law and to be good examples, what you failed to realise is that tithes as practised by the Jews was strictly farm produce and it was only those who produce from the land that were expected to tithe. There is no record that either Jesus or the apostles were farmers so there would have not been any reason for them to tithe.

What is causing the confusion is the fraudulent version of tithes preached today which is defined as money from income. This type of tithes simply has no biblical basis.
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by PastorKun(m): 6:48am On Oct 09, 2013
Joagbaje:

Great truth brother

Trust you to support any statement that supports your tithing racket no matter how daft it sounds. How any right thinking person can make a principle of Abraham's one off voluntary tithes from war booty and now twist it to mean mandatory monetary tithes from all income for christians who were never even required to emulate Abraham seriously beats my imagination. It must be obvious to you lot that you are just grasping at straws to justify this fraud you are perpetuating on the body of Christ since Malachi 3:10 which is based in law has been torn to shreds.
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by frevangel(m): 6:56am On Oct 09, 2013
@democrazy,
Seriously, I am wondering where to start helping you from. You twisted the scriptures with so much 'probably'. Assumptions upon assumptions. Even when the scriptures are clearly given in this thread.
I cannot explain further to you, go through my previous posts. I have shown from the scriptures clearly, the purpose, forms and patterns of tithing. I like to call it the WHY, WHAT, HOW AND WHEN.
These are not my own explanations, they are clearly stated in the scriptures.
I have also created another thread with ALL scripture mention of tithe, tithes and tenth unto, do a study for yourself.
When you do, please do not read into it WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE.
I pray the Spirit of God guide you through God's word. Amen.
For mko2005, I urge you, as a true believer that you profess, to study the Bible and not some preachers explanation of the Bible.
God bless you as you give in to His word prayerfully and without preconceived interpretations.

To all, this is my prayer for you:

Ephesians 1:17-19

that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power

2 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Joagbaje(m): 9:04am On Oct 09, 2013
Pastor Kun:

Trust you to support any statement that supports your tithing racket no matter how daft it sounds. How any right thinking person can make a principle of Abraham's one off voluntary tithes from war booty and now twist it to mean mandatory monetary tithes from all income for christians who were never even required to emulate Abraham seriously beats my imagination. It must be obvious to you lot that you are just grasping at straws to justify this fraud you are perpetuating on the body of Christ since Malachi 3:10 which is based in law has been torn to shreds.

Don't vent your frustration on me. It's evident you have failed woefully in your evil campaign . Truth speak for its self and the people you claim to be fighting for are clearly telling you to go and study . tongue

Besides I never based tithing on Malachi .

2 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by frevangel(m): 9:15am On Oct 09, 2013
Pastor Kun:

I am amazed my brother.
Now I'm beginning to understand why many will be led astray easily in the last days.
Truly, narrow is the gate.
What beats me most is the fact that it's the same way they treat other false doctrines.
They have outsourced the study and explanation of scriptures to their "MOGs". They twist scriptures and call it "rhema" or "special revs".

A minister rightly said "False teachers are a judgement to those who have rejected sound doctrines".
Many are not being deceived like we think, no, rather, out of greed and an itching ear, they have heaped up teachers who will tell them what they want to hear.

3 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Tayeni(m): 10:08am On Oct 09, 2013
Pastor Kun:

it boggles the mind how far they would go to twist d scriptures, bend it, cut and join it out of context and arrive at d most ridiculous meaning then slap d label of "rhema" on it while whipping up fear and selfishness in pple to help force it down their throats. They only give out of compulsion and fear and selfishness. Giving should b selfless. But they give for d sole purpose of receiving, for fear of d "devourer". Imagine someone saying Jesus collected tithe as melchi.........how someone will identify melchi as Jesus is a "rhema" dt sounds like d most crafted "conspiracy theory" of this century

4 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by christemmbassey(m): 10:30am On Oct 09, 2013
@democrazy, this is not PDP and governors forum chairmanship o, now ppl blame us for calling u guys, 'fraudsters'. What's d dif between d twists u've written and a 'sales copy' from a naija yahoo yahoo boys, so ur christianity is based on assumptions and probabilities, it a pity, u recieved d grace of God in vain. So to u, d spirit of God is afraid to say even in a single verse dat Jesus paid or collect tithe. Its bc of this type of hypocricy and shameless dishonesty dat many weaklings are joining islam and atheism. I am a pastor, and i know many pastors if nt all, know that CHRISTIANS ARE NT COMMANDED AND ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO PAY OR COLLECT TITHE. Why must u pannel beat scripture to justify fraud? It is better for u to do armf robbery, kidnapping, ritual, prostit.tution etc for greed than what u've just done with God's word. May God av mercy on u n ur likes.

5 Likes

Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by christemmbassey(m): 10:40am On Oct 09, 2013
Tayeni: it boggles the mind how far they would go to twist d scriptures, bend it, cut and join it out of context and arrive at d most ridiculous meaning then slap d label of "rhema" on it while whipping up fear and selfishness in pple to help force it down their throats. They only give out of compulsion and fear and selfishness. Giving should b selfless. But they give for d sole purpose of receiving, for fear of d "devourer". Imagine someone saying Jesus collected tithe as melchi.........how someone will identify melchi as Jesus is a "rhema" dt sounds like d most crafted "conspiracy theory" of this century
its unfortunate, PDP, APC APGA etc have taken over d church in nigeria, very very bad. The question is, are we going to sit back and watch them destroy the church of Jesus as they'v destroyed Nigeria?
Re: Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here by Candour(m): 10:44am On Oct 09, 2013
christemmbassey: its unfortunate, PDP, APC APGA etc have taken over d church in nigeria, very very bad. The question is, are we going to sit back and watch them destroy the church of Jesus as they'v destroyed Nigeria?

my bro, you can only do so much.

God owns the Church and he'll do his cleansing himself. All we need do is sound the truth to all we can find and those who'll listen will. When Martin Luther started his one man crusade, nobody expected it to break the monopoly of the Catholic Church but it did bringing in the reformation.

God alone who knows the beginning from the end, knows how it will pan out. We all should just do our bit and leave the rest.

Na God get power

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

CAN Replies Council Of Imams And Ulamah Of Kaduna State / Why I Believe Stephanie Otobo Is Lying Against Apostle Sulieman / Woman And Her Drugs At Apostle Johnson Suleman's Church For Deliverance (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 178
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.