Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,398 members, 7,815,869 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn (33525 Views)

Jonathan Demanded Metuh's Corporate Bank Account To Pay Some Money - Witness / List Of People That Have Demanded Boko Haram Amnesty / Arunma Oteh, SEC Boss, Says House Of Reps Members Demanded N44 Million Bribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by timoney(m): 10:55pm On Oct 02, 2013
Dpeacemaker101: he should beg his lecturers to go back to school, cause the amount they are asking for is outrageous my dear. Remember we still have other sectors of the economy that also needs funding.
The agreement was made in "2009" dis "2013" what is FG taking 9jas for? Ngozi Okonjo told Nigerians dat d money we hav can never finish in years to-come... Why is she now sayin d country is broke. Our BSc no longer hav value outside 9ja. Pls if u hav nothing better to say just let we adults handle d situation.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by tbagjames(m): 11:10pm On Oct 02, 2013
When the mourner cries more than the bereived suspicion creeps in. ASUU seems more on this monetary aspect more than we the students. GEJ has plans to contest for a second term, if he doesnt meet up their agreement up till that period then no one will be willing to vote for him. I feel ASUU should extend d duration from 4 to 6 years and make do with what government if offering now. Besides, even if they build a lecture theatre that is like the taj mahal and students are not serious we will still produce poor graduates. Passing exams is not principally by the structure but by the student's determination

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Illuminatus(m): 11:12pm On Oct 02, 2013
Now, why are we hearing this now? Why didn't they make it know before? What do they want this money for? Why is it so important that this money is paid now and in full?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Joevics(m): 11:12pm On Oct 02, 2013
[quote author=timwezzb]Come On Guys "3 trillion" Will Not Even Upgreat "10 Universities" including Their "POCKET" Ooooooooooo! Yes, but it might upgrade your use of English.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by gidzbobby: 11:15pm On Oct 02, 2013
Lemme just gaan prepare to marry. 3trillion... Even Dangote won't give such as loan

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by nex(m): 11:16pm On Oct 02, 2013
When I see the kind of argument some seemingly educated people put up here, it confirms my belief that Nigerian universities need more than N3 trillion to begin the process of recuperation.

Are you wiser than the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Academic Staff Union of Universities which two major bodies came together to agree that this is the appropriate funding required for the Nigerian universities?!
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Mathosiky: 11:18pm On Oct 02, 2013
So the messege titled congratulation !!! That u hv been awarded scholarship frm agip in nt frm agip in collaboratn wit dragnet.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Mathosiky: 11:24pm On Oct 02, 2013
Federal govt enough is enough we hv tired of staying at home. Mr president do nt allow ur name turn into badluck
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by festwiz(m): 11:28pm On Oct 02, 2013
To pay 800bn for 4 years isn't outrageous.i read in an interview that unesco told the nigerian federal govt. To alot 25% of its annual budget to education,bt the fg is only alotting 9%.isn't that a joke?
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 11:32pm On Oct 02, 2013
Is this a joke or what?undecided
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by goddygodwin: 11:48pm On Oct 02, 2013
quote]

only God is gona reward all of us even mr ASUU president whom i so much belive dt all his children r abroad studing if d fedral govt refuse 2 fiful their agrement ASUU we d student say you shuld teach us lyk d@ d starndard f our university is owk f us mk we manage am 4 @ lst 1st degree. Unfaith ful leaders d@s all we hav
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 11:50pm On Oct 02, 2013
debbleopto:

I would have said it was good you were not admitted with this uncooked brain and stark ignorance for ur age into university. How many did exam and how many will buy post jamb that scored more than 200. assuming 1 million bought at 3000 naira that is 3 billion naira. so is 3 billion enough to go round more than 100 UNIVERSITIES AND POLYTECHNICS.

Honestly am trying so hard not to insult u.
Did u even read and understand my post?
Perhaps u have a problem with comprehension?

FYI,i wrote UTME(260) and postUTME once,i even bought the UTME form myself,not because i wanted to get admitted but for the experience.
I never checked my postUTME score or if i got admitted.

Schooling in a country were the educational sector is a joke was never an option for me and i thank God for that.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by kshowhanif: 11:55pm On Oct 02, 2013
bloggernaija: These guys like the politicians are a bunch of jokers .
Lazy ,unthinking typical Nigerian .
In that organisation ,is there nobody there to do the maths that Nigeria cannot afford that much money ,even if the country was not corrupt?
That is about $7 billion in a country where over 50% are very very poor.
why did fg sign what they cant implement. The government of gej is irresponsible
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Rossikk(m): 1:14am On Oct 03, 2013
SUBMARINE: @ROSSIK God bless you. Why cant they develop new products, ideas, etc patent and sell them to both foreign and local organizations for profits. Eg Design ear/mouth piece that can interpret one language to another and sell it to religious and diplomatic organizations for profit.

Thank you. They can even go into agriculture. Partner with investors and banks to acquire land and build huge plantations and make a killing!!
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 1:39am On Oct 03, 2013
festwiz: To pay 800bn for 4 years isn't outrageous.i read in an interview that unesco told the nigerian federal govt. To alot 25% of its annual budget to education,bt the fg is only alotting 9%.isn't that a joke?

Not really....
The USA spends 5.5% GDP on education (2007), the UK also spends 5.5%, by 2009 south Africa was spending 5.4% GDP on education (don't know if that has changed). In fact by 2009, when this survey was done, only Sudan spent the UNESCO-recommended 25% ( the figure was 27.8%). They were ranked first by govt expenditure on education. The second placed Timor Leste spent 16.8%.

So you see, countries are at liberty to place their priorities themselves despite UNESCO's recommendations ( 'E' for educational, i'm sure WHO would not agree with this, health is important too are they going to demand 25% too?). Our guide should be statistics derived from our surveys: prevalent mortality, illiteracy, etc PLUS their effects on national growth, productivity etc. Maternal Mortality in isolation is definitely terrible but if the population is growing at such an astronomic rate that there is a battle keeping up with infrastructure ( not to mention the imbalanced ratio of women to men), then one would be tempted to push down the list of priorities 'improve health care' in favour of provide mass housing. This is just an example, the bottom line is: na pesin wey wear shoe na im sabi where e dey pain am.

If Nigeria now spends 8.43% GDP on education where we spent 0.8% in 1995, then it's evident we have recognized the importance of supporting that sector more. it will not be done overnight at the expense of other sectors ( they have to be weaned gradually).

N3tr might be more or less than what is required to revamp education in this country (personally i think the lack of infrastructure isn't so much the problem as faulty policies and corruption, the additional money could make zero impact on the quality of graduates produced) but we would never know until the Ministry of Education presents its case. This is beyond ASUU, on the matter of the collapse in the educational sector we are equal stakeholders and a bunch of University lecturers are ill-equipped to make reasonable demands. What's the plan? or are we going to decide that when the money comes?. Demands like these should be made out in terms of equipment, infrastructure and other requirements along with forecasts explaining how improvement would be achieved. They really should know better!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 2:12am On Oct 03, 2013
Moreover, we have more universities than we actually need and because of that the admissions boards have the audacity to admit students with single digit jamb scores. Every state is expected to have a federal university! this madness is borne out of our useless quota system, the same system that inflates the senate with mediocrity receiving huge allocations. it's about time the streamlining begins. Why should we graduate 5000 passable graduates and maintain 100 schools when the 5000 can fit into one? It's a massive and senseless waste of infrastructure.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by majorgeeboy: 2:17am On Oct 03, 2013
Raggedy_Ann:

Not really....
The USA spends 5.5% GDP on education (2007), the UK also spends 5.5%, by 2009 south Africa was spending 5.4% GDP on education (don't know if that has changed). In fact by 2009, when this survey was done, only Sudan spent the UNESCO-recommended 25% ( the figure was 27.8%). They were ranked first by govt expenditure on education. The second placed Timor Leste spent 16.8%.

So you see, countries are at liberty to place their priorities themselves despite UNESCO's recommendations ( 'E' for educational, i'm sure WHO would not agree with this, health is important too are they going to demand 25% too?). Our guide should be statistics derived from our surveys: prevalent mortality, illiteracy, etc PLUS their effects on national growth, productivity etc. Maternal Mortality in isolation is definitely terrible but if the population is growing at such an astronomic rate that there is a battle keeping up with infrastructure ( not to mention the imbalanced ratio of women to men), then one would be tempted to push down the list of priorities 'improve health care' in favour of provide mass housing. This is just an example, the bottom line is: na pesin wey wear shoe na im sabi where e dey pain am.

If Nigeria now spends 8.43% GDP on education where we spent 0.8% in 1995, then it's evident we have recognized the importance of supporting that sector more. it will not be done overnight at the expense of other sectors ( they have to be weaned gradually).

N3tr might be more or less than what is required to revamp education in this country (personally i think the lack of infrastructure isn't so much the problem as faulty policies and corruption, the additional money could make zero impact on the quality of graduates produced) but we would never know until the Ministry of Education presents its case. This is beyond ASUU, on the matter of the collapse in the educational sector we are equal stakeholders and a bunch of University lecturers are ill-equipped to make reasonable demands. What's the plan? or are we going to decide that when the money comes?. Demands like these should be made out in terms of equipment, infrastructure and other requirements along with forecasts explaining how improvement would be achieved. They really should know better!
awodman:

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ASUU-unions-demand-is-n3tn-not-n130bn/160469/
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by anex4real: 3:45am On Oct 03, 2013
PLEASE LET US TAKE NOTE. THE MONEY ASUU IS DEMANDING FOR IS NOT 3 TRILLION THE CORRECT AMOUNT IS 1.3 TRILLION. LET GET OUR FACT RIGHT BEFORE PROPAGATING LIES.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by NosaHenry(m): 3:54am On Oct 03, 2013
Is the money meant to hire new and able lecturers? Cos with the current crops of lecturers still in charge our universities are going nowhere.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by iykak47: 4:10am On Oct 03, 2013
undecided
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by maxisfield(f): 4:16am On Oct 03, 2013
Nna mehn nekwanu ndi ochi ooo grin 3trillion!! Dt means ds strike go stil last wela grin
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by iykak47: 4:17am On Oct 03, 2013
May God help Nigeria
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by iykak47: 4:26am On Oct 03, 2013
berem: There's nothing outrageous about the money.The education sector needs proper funding.If our leaders can send their kids to foreign schools that are well funded,why should they not equally fund our own universities to meet up to international standard? The money required is small compared to the excessive looting going on in the presidency. angry
You mean there is nothing outrageous about 3 trillion naira demanded by ASUU from a government that has less than 5 trillion naira annual budget?

By the way, what do you know about trillion. Nonsense angry
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 4:57am On Oct 03, 2013
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by BB013(m): 6:19am On Oct 03, 2013
berem: Did Ngozi Okonjo Iweala or Sanusi Lamido tell you the FG doesn't have that kind of money to give to ASUU? Sentiments aside,FG should stop telling Nigerians that the strike is being politicized and pay the gaddiem money to ASUU! My younger brother is already tired of staying at home! angry

Tell him to go and learn work..
Time waits for no man
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by UnimkeAk(m): 6:57am On Oct 03, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

For home students its abt 4000pounds,don't peddle false info

Peddle false info as in how?
It ranges between 4000 & 9000 pounds.
Even if it is 4k pounds sef is 4k small money in the uk... Nah
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 03, 2013
I think this is the end of uni...i wish i had graduated...any way, patiently waiting 4 navy form
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Chizua(m): 7:21am On Oct 03, 2013
Ekawu: FG pls implement d agreement u entered with ASUU

So that other Nigerian will starve. ASUU thief! Thief!! Oleee!!! Ndi oriiii
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Criticalobs: 7:32am On Oct 03, 2013
This man Fagge and indeed ASUU are clearly insincere and political as government has insinuated. How much is the total government budget for the year and in any case the duty of ASUU is to teach (lecture) why the insistence on the money for infrastructural development, is it their duty to undertake the revamping of infrastructures in the schools. The earned allowances which are to be paid by their respective institutions why are they shifting it to the government, how much account have they given of their IGR and why are delimiting the autonomy they fought for and even went on strike to achieve, is that after all they didn't really need it. Too bad if they do not think through their demands thoroughly before subject students to hardship and drawing the country educational sector back.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by koholus: 7:40am On Oct 03, 2013
Just thinking.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well. We will never get it right if they don't release the money. Anything short of the said ammount will only be a waste. Not only universities but every sector. We need to look inwards and see how we can raise funds. EFCC can squeese lots of them for plea bargains but not just 10 percent. Our lagislators shuld fast by cutting their allowances by 50 percent. full declaration of assets by all nigerians with the view to forfeiting 50 percent for nation building. Death penalty for coruption.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Criticalobs: 7:46am On Oct 03, 2013
How realistic is NGN3 Trillion ASUU Request from Nigerian Budget. In whose interest are the Lecturers?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Rahama Indimi Gushes About Zahra Buhari: "We're Happy To Have You" / Troops Neutralize Armed Bandits In Military Camouflage In Zamfara.Graphic Photos / Market Women, State Workers Welcoming Governor Adeleke To Secretariat(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.