Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,258 members, 7,953,990 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:25 AM

ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn (33697 Views)

Jonathan Demanded Metuh's Corporate Bank Account To Pay Some Money - Witness / List Of People That Have Demanded Boko Haram Amnesty / Arunma Oteh, SEC Boss, Says House Of Reps Members Demanded N44 Million Bribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by awodman: 6:56am On Oct 02, 2013
The National President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Dr. Nasir Fagge, has accused the federal government of not telling Nigerians the truth about the demand of the union as regards the government’s statement that the union's demand has been met.
According to Fagge, ASUU had a Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) with the federal government for it to spend over N3 trillion to turn around the fortune of all federal and state universities and also to better the lot of the educational sector in the country.

“The agreement is for the federal government to spend N800 billion yearly for the next four years, but what we have is government talking about N130 billion which is very insignificant," he said.

Fagge made the revelation Tuesday, while fielding questions from journalists, at the end of the congress of the Benue State University chapter of ASUU, in Makurdi.

He said: "Our demands are genuine, and it is based on the mutual agreement entered into in 2009 by government and ASUU. We urge the government to be responsible to that agreement.

"President Goodluck Jonathan said the strike is being politicised but the truth is that it is government that is playing politics with our demands. It is as if every problem in this country is now being politicised.

"I want to ask one basic question: Is it political to ask government to be responsible enough to implement an agreement she willingly entered into.

"It is important to state clearly that we are a union of intellectuals, and we cannot accept a situation were the tail will wag the dog. Whatever we do is for the betterment of the Nigerian university system.”

In addition, the ASUU national president said: "It is important to place on record that the struggle is a continuous one but the implementation of the 2009 agreement is key to improving on facilities in our universities and placing it at par with what we have in other parts of the world."

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ASUU-unions-demand-is-n3tn-not-n130bn/160469/

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by bloggernaija: 7:20am On Oct 02, 2013
These guys like the politicians are a bunch of jokers .
Lazy ,unthinking typical Nigerian .
In that organisation ,is there nobody there to do the maths that Nigeria cannot afford that much money ,even if the country was not corrupt?
That is about $7 billion in a country where over 50% are very very poor.

48 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by ayusco85(m): 7:26am On Oct 02, 2013
3 trillion? shocked really? Do they want to start free university education for all or they want to share 5million naira each for all nigerian undergraduates? Its too outrageous joor. ASUU now i see why my lecturer said this strike will reach next year. This strike might even break Ghana's record of 1yr long strike. And to think i had just one or two month to graduate. #SMH for myself for been so unlucky with ma nationality

19 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Ekawu(m): 7:29am On Oct 02, 2013
FG pls implement d agreement u entered with ASUU

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by samilo88(m): 7:30am On Oct 02, 2013
Mr ASUU chairman, your demands are from genuine.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by JameyMaxwell(m): 7:30am On Oct 02, 2013
ASUU na Oleeee

27 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 7:32am On Oct 02, 2013
Na wa o...dis ppl sef ehn angryNa wa o...dis ppl sef ehn
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by 0monnakoda: 7:36am On Oct 02, 2013
bloggernaija: These guys like the politicians are a bunch of jokers .
In that organisation ,is there nobody there to do the maths that Nigeria cannot afford that much money ,even if the country was not corrupt?
You are the one who is lazy and unthinking. Nigeria cannot afford? $7 Billion over what period 1 week ,1 month? I would rather not have fuel subsidy than the rubbish our Universities churn out much of which is on display on Nairaland. Nigerians spend billions on private universities and foreign ones too. We need to have a debate about HOW university education is funded. Going forward it probably should not be free and students need to pay more realistic fees.Government should decide to privatize many if not all the universities. Apart from corruption there is a lot of waste in our government eg Presidential jets ,Aso rock Feeding budget etc.
In just one year GEJ spent over 1 trilion naira that was NOT in the budget n fraudulent SUBSIDY bills so it is not true there is no money but even if there is money . I still argue students should pay tuition,and standards shoud be raised so our Universities can be competitive and PROFITABLE

49 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 7:40am On Oct 02, 2013
bloggernaija: These guys like the politicians are a bunch of jokers .
Did Ngozi Okonjo Iweala or Sanusi Lamido tell you the FG doesn't have that kind of money to give to ASUU? Sentiments aside,FG should stop telling Nigerians that the strike is being politicized and pay the gaddiem money to ASUU! My younger brother is already tired of staying at home! angry

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Dpeacemaker101: 7:46am On Oct 02, 2013
Mehn, that is way too much nah. They should Atleast start up with what they have now, and not that this will afford students free education or books, even sorting go still dey happen. No now, they should call themselves to order they are also other sectors of the economy that needs funding too.

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Tintinix: 7:48am On Oct 02, 2013
Please I want to findout oh!
Shey 3tr naira @800BN every year for over 4 years.
How much has been released since then.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Dpeacemaker101: 7:49am On Oct 02, 2013
berem: Did Ngozi Okonjo Iweala or Sanusi Lamido tell you the FG doesn't have that kind of money to give to ASUU? Sentiments aside,FG should stop telling Nigerians that the strike is being politicized and pay the gaddiem money to ASUU! My younger brother is already tired of staying at home! angry
he should beg his lecturers to go back to school, cause the amount they are asking for is outrageous my dear. Remember we still have other sectors of the economy that also needs funding.

16 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by jmaine: 7:49am On Oct 02, 2013
That is an outrageous demand . . . .ASUU no go spoil ya show with excessive demands oo!! angry
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by yunglykmine(m): 7:50am On Oct 02, 2013
They shuld have asked for the whole annual budget nau..

21 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by awodman: 7:56am On Oct 02, 2013
0monnakoda: You are the one who is lazy and unthinking. Nigeria cannot afford? $7 Billion over what period 1 week ,1 month? I would rather not have fuel subsidy than the rubbish our Universities churn out much of which is on display on Nairaland. Nigerians spend billions on private universities and foreign ones too. We need to have a debate about HOW university education is funded. Going forward it probably should not be free and students need to pay more realistic fees.Government should decide to privatize many if not all the universities. Apart from corruption there is a lot of waste in our government eg Presidential jets ,Aso rock Feeding budget etc.
In just one year GEJ spent over 1 trilion naira that was NOT in the budget n fraudulent SUBSIDY bills so it is not true there is no money but even if there is money . I still argue students should pay tuition,and standards shoud be raised so our Universities can be competitive and PROFITABLE
Now the question is can the whole country and ASUU inclusive agree that govt should stop fuel subsidy and instead channel that money to Education?..remember ASUU also protested against the removal of subsidy..we can't definitely eat our cake and have it

26 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 02, 2013
berem: Did Ngozi Okonjo Iweala or Sanusi Lamido tell you the FG doesn't have that kind of money to give to ASUU? Sentiments aside,FG should stop telling Nigerians that the strike is being politicized and pay the gaddiem money to ASUU! My younger brother is already tired of staying at home! angry
YHUR YOUNGER BROTHER, OR YOU?? HMMM

14 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Super1759: 8:02am On Oct 02, 2013
More reasons this strike will last till 2015
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 02, 2013
Dpeacemaker101: he should beg his lecturers to go back to school, cause the amount they are asking for is outrageous my dear. Remember we still have other sectors of the economy that also needs funding.
There's nothing outrageous about the money.The education sector needs proper funding.If our leaders can send their kids to foreign schools that are well funded,why should they not equally fund our own universities to meet up to international standard? The money required is small compared to the excessive looting going on in the presidency. angry

8 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by premlove(m): 8:05am On Oct 02, 2013
Ooohhh my goodness! The end of this strike is not in sight at all, govt cant pay that money their woun't

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Ayed44: 8:07am On Oct 02, 2013
. This demand is outrageous. ASUU is not d only the problem facing Nigeria, there are other problems all over d place. In as much as i'm in support of ASUU trying to make d FG to provide basic infrastrucure in our universities, we should note dat turning around d infrastructure in d universities cannot be achieved in 4 short years. It is going to be a gradual and continous process. Let us be realistic!

15 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by dridowu: 8:08am On Oct 02, 2013
Dpeacemaker101: he should beg his lecturers to go back to school, cause the amount they are asking for is outrageous my dear. Remember we still have other sectors of the economy that also needs funding.
how is the money outrageous ? Is 1billionaire food not outrageous ? No amout of money spent on educatn is a waste ,If our govt free themsef of corruptn , dy will pay more than what ASUU request for witout looking bak
Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by modextus(m): 8:08am On Oct 02, 2013
shocked 3,000 000 000 000??

I see...this ASUU dudes are clearly against this administration,they also don't wish nigeria and nigerians well.

I'm done believing thier crazy stories.they are just bunch of old men who are out to to suck this country dry for their own selfish intrest.

They aren't even bothered about what the students are going through..do ya'll think their own kids aren't schooling abroad as well?

25 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Philipmems(m): 8:09am On Oct 02, 2013
Shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu 3 trilliooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon......

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Acidosis(m): 8:10am On Oct 02, 2013
yunglykmine: They shuld have asked for the whole annual budget nau..

buahahahahaha grin grin

abi oo, so that all other civil servants including the forces (states & Federal) can sit at home drinking ga.rri..

grin grin

9 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Greatken007(m): 8:11am On Oct 02, 2013
WHO IS AT THE LOOSING END?I GUESS STUDENTS AND THE GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA...THIS IS PURE POLITICS TO DISCREDIT GEJ GOVERNMENT.I CAN BET ANYTHING,ASUU REQUEST IS FOR THEIR OWN BENEFITS AND NOT TO THE UNIVERSITIES THEY GOVERN...WHAT IS WORLD BANK STEP-B MEANT FOR?WHAT IS FG GRANT DESIGNED FOR?WHERE ARE THE MONEY THAT WERE GENERATED FROM ALL PROGRAMS INCLUDING POST UME GOING TO?FG DOES NT HAVE SUCH MONEY TO WASTE.SOME PPLE DONT REALLY KNOW THE GRAVITY OF 3 TRILLION.

10 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Sirkris(m): 8:14am On Oct 02, 2013
should we close governance in Nigeria because of 3tri? ASUU, please rethink. ASUU president said the struggle is a continuous one so why not go and start up something with the little you've gotten? another truth is this, its better parents start sending their children to technical college then use the money ment for university education to establish them in areas they specialize. that way they will be self employed and useful to the society. this university shun out graduate and they end up being jobless not just because they are not employable, but on a realistic note where are the industry to absorb them graduate with b.ed can't get a place to teach cos nysc send corpers to the class. even CBN is urging federal government to cut down it's work force to stabilize the economy. may God give us statesmen that think about the next generation and not all this politicians in class and government that think about the next election. I love my country Nigeria and God bless us Nigerians.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Acidosis(m): 8:17am On Oct 02, 2013
These men need to understand something here:

No amount is too much for a civil servant..

Even Obama will gladly beg for more increase in his salary..

What if the armed forces decide to embark on a strike action? Who can endure the risk involved?

Its not as if the majors and generals are 'ok' with the present salary.. We all need more money, more allowance..

The only man who is okay with his present salary scale is in the grave..

We all need money..

ASUU be wise! Even if your demands are met now, you'll still ask for more...

12 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by yunglykmine(m): 8:19am On Oct 02, 2013
deejay_harry1: YHUR YOUNGER BROTHER, OR YOU?? HMMM
Don't mind her. Na so e'rybody go come here dey drop lies.. SMH!

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 02, 2013
Ayed44: . This demand is outrageous. ASUU is not d only the problem facing Nigeria, there are other problems all over d place. In as much as i'm in support of ASUU trying to make d FG to provide basic infrastrucure in our universities, we should note dat turning around d infrastructure in d universities cannot be achieved in 4 short years. It is going to be a gradual and continous process. Let us be realistic!
ASUU is not the only problem facing Nigeria but funding education should be of great concern.You cannot pretend to deny the fact that there's an absolute rot and decay in the education sector.If ASUU makes a demand to restore back the sector,why should they be denied of their demands? FG has the money so they should pay it.An agreement is always an agreement!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 02, 2013
Greatken007: WHO IS AT THE LOOSING END?I GUESS STUDENTS AND THE GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA...THIS IS PURE POLITICS TO DISCREDIT GEJ GOVERNMENT.I CAN BET ANYTHING,ASUU REQUEST IS FOR THEIR OWN BENEFITS AND NOT TO THE UNIVERSITIES THEY GOVERN...WHAT IS WORLD BANK STEP-B MEANT FOR?WHAT IS FG GRANT DESIGNED FOR?WHERE ARE THE MONEY THAT WERE GENERATED FROM ALL PROGRAMS INCLUDING POST UME GOING TO?FG DOES NT HAVE SUCH MONEY TO WASTE.SOME PPLE DONT REALLY KNOW THE GRAVITY OF 3 TRILLION.

Thank u jare.
Do u kow how much universities earn from the sale of postUTME form alone?? A form is as much as 3000 to 5000naira and millions buy that form only for a few to be admitted...

ASUU is just an avenue for corrupt and greedy men to reap were they did not sow.

At the end of the day,na students dey suffer am.

12 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Danhumprey: 8:43am On Oct 02, 2013
Then with this new revelation by ASUU,we don't need a sooth-sayer to tell us that the ongoing ASUU strike would linger on for long.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N3tn, Not N130bn by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 02, 2013
Dem go stay house for looooooooooooong.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ekiti APC Secretariat Turned To 'Shrine' (Photo) / Wike: PDP Owes Nigerians An Apology Over Atiku’s Ethnic Comment / PDP Governors Set To Form A New Party - Peoplesdailyng.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.