Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,175 members, 7,829,205 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80377 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Teminio: 3:15pm On Oct 17, 2013
Thanks babyosisi, great job you are doing?

Please I have some questions for clarification.
Is it true that one cant get into American Universities before the age of eighteen, that's a sixteen years old cant be offered admission? I have a daughter who is desirous of studying in the US and she will only be sixteen when she will be out of secondary school by next year.

Again, what are the chances of relocating to America for a Nigerian family of five, now that Visa lottery is no more open for the country?

And lastly, which university offer the most cost-effective studies but high educational standard?

Thank you for anticipated response.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 3:16pm On Oct 17, 2013
Dee'aba:
What are my chances of gaining admission into any university in the US for masters. I studied sociology and anthropology an I finished with a 2.2 3.3cgpa. I want 2 go into management. Do I have any chance?

Honestly my brother I would advise you consider a career change. What would you do with Sociology in Nigeria not to talk of in America

Those courses are reserved for born Americans and they dont pay much

I knew one person born American who was studying Engineering but said it wasnt allowing her enjoy College life so she dropped to Sociology. After graduation she couldnt get a job while her Engineering colleagues were getting 60k jobs fresh out of college, She had to go to Law school after

You might have to consider something in the Medical, Engineering, IT field. Those fields pay much more and are easier to enter for immigrants

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu: Nice one Osisi for opening this thread

I would advise anyone in Nigeria who wants to come to US to do so, Its truly a land flowing with milk and honey if you know what to do.

First of all come with a mind of going to school and learning new skills, Be flexible, Have an open mind and not a defeatist attitude

I came to US in 2008 August and I can only thank God for the opportunity. I have several friends on this same Nairaland whom I met here that came around 2010 and are doing verrrry goood

I know 3 of them who comes to visit me regularly and we talk all of them make between 75k and 110k a yr, The three of them came in 2010.

America has been good to me and I would advise anyone with drive to succeed to come

NB: I had an excellent job in Nigeria before leaving and still havent regretted any day of it

Dayo I will appreciate your wise input on this thread
You are younger and may be more current than me in these things
I have always wanted to do a thread like this to help people and have others in the USA share their experiences to help others who are thinking of migrating.
Thanks for the post

Other american as please add your bit
If you know about scholarships please share
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 3:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
Teminio: Thanks babyosisi, great job you are doing?

Please I have some questions for clarification.
Is it true that one cant get into American Universities before the age of eighteen, that's a sixteen years old cant be offered admission? I have a daughter who is desirous of studying in the US and she will only be sixteen when she will be out of secondary school by next year.

Again, what are the chances of relocating to America for a Nigerian family of five, now that Visa lottery is no more open for the country?

And lastly, which university offer the most cost-effective studies but high educational standard?

Thank you for anticipated response.

1 You daughter can get into University even at her age if she writes and passes her SAT and gets admission into a college

2. Migrating with a family of 5 is harddd!!!! especially since you all wont even have papers dont even try it. Thats what I would say
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu: Nice one Osisi for opening this thread

I would advise anyone in Nigeria who wants to come to US to do so, Its truly a land flowing with milk and honey if you know what to do.

First of all come with a mind of going to school and learning new skills, Be flexible, Have an open mind and not a defeatist attitude

I came to US in 2008 August and I can only thank God for the opportunity. I have several friends on this same Nairaland whom I met here that came around 2010 and are doing verrrry goood

I know 3 of them who comes to visit me regularly and we talk all of them make between 75k and 110k a yr, The three of them came in 2010.

America has been good to me and I would advise anyone with drive to succeed to come

NB: I had an excellent job in Nigeria before leaving and still havent regretted any day of it

Dayo I will appreciate your wise input on this thread
You are younger and may be more current than me in these things
I have always wanted to do a thread like this to help people and have others in the USA share their experiences to help others who are thinking of migrating.
And to help new immigrants not make the mistakes we have seen our folks make
Thanks for the post

Other americanas please add your bit
If you know about scholarships please share
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Tonylyte(m): 3:21pm On Oct 17, 2013
Where is emeka na? Your information is useful to some of us aswell. Mst nigerian folks dnt wanna see weed, they only wanna see vegetable....

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by adconline(m): 3:23pm On Oct 17, 2013
ozo_emeka: Don't listen to false crap. Julliard is a TOP NOTCH school for the Arts. Oh BTW they support Nigerians as well . SO THIS IS A "WORKABLE" (is that a word?) advice to give. If you train at Julliard, you are considered the BEST.

http://www.juilliard.edu/about/newsroom/2013-14/juilliard-2013-summer-grants-awarded-six-student-projects-united-states-and?destination=node/30216

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Juilliard_School_people#Notable_alumni

"Everybody could tell you how to do it but they have never done it" How many successful Naija/Hollywood artists graduated from these schools?
Don't mix empirical facts with copied subjective facts! If most Nigerians in the US are in medical field, and are doing OK, shouldn't that be enough persuasive arguement why the young lady should be encouraged to follow the trend? BLS stats show that medical fields have lower unemployment rate than communication... Another field is engineering, but u must be a nerd!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu:

1 You daughter can get into University even at her age if she writes and passes her SAT and gets admission into a college

2. Migrating with a family of 5 is harddd!!!! especially since you all wont even have papers dont even try it. Thats what I would say

Nice answer
The key to college admission for the daughter is her SAT score
She has to kill that exam
The highest score is 2400
If her daughter gets 2100 and above colleges will be begging her to come and collect scholarship
I am serious
Even if she doesn't get a full scholarship,the tuition she'll be pay will be very reduced.

There is an Igbo girl I met last year, JJC,she got an admission on full scholarship to one of the historically black universities here in the USA straight from Lagos.
Her arrival was her first time ever in the USA
So it can be done.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ochukoccna: 3:24pm On Oct 17, 2013
@ ozo_emeka, please let babyosisi have her own thread too seeing some of your replies on this thread’s front page
I followed your thread on America whilst in Nigeria and am following babyosisi's thread here in Europe and can say both threads show pessimistic and optimistic views of the same country
Let both run side by side and leave everyone make up their minds wink wink
Having been in Europe for under a month and seen how this land is so organized which I know is a reflection of the Western nations,heck why would I want to return to the organized chaos that currently prevails in Nigeria? embarassed embarassed embarassed angry angry angry angry
I now understand why many would prefer to die than be deported or why some who have lived here go through trauma when they return to Nigeria without achieving their dreams before returning
I will try my best to get my papers legitimately [many will not bat eyelids to get it by any means necessary] cool cool cool and God willingly be able to integrate myself in the Western world when I recall the past horrors I've faced in this life I've lived cool cool
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by InvertedHammer: 3:24pm On Oct 17, 2013

Most importantly, try to steer away from jobs that involve public speaking.

No matter how good you are, white folks are blessed with the gift for gab.

No matter how qualified you may be, they will use your accent to overlook your qualifications.

I am not saying that it is not doable, but the obstacle may be too much for your patience.

Be ready to start from the bottom: fast food, security guard, nursing aide.

And to answer the age long question(?), I have never met a Nigerian that washes corpses for a living

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 3:25pm On Oct 17, 2013
InvertedHammer:

Most importantly, try to steer away from jobs that involve public speaking.

No matter how good you are, white folks are blessed with the gift for gab.

No matter how qualified you may be, they will use your accent to overlook your qualifications.

I am not saying that it is not doable, but the obstacle may be too much for your patience.

Be ready to start from the bottom: fast food, security guard, nursing aide.

And to answer the age long question(?), I have never met a Nigerian that washes corpses for a living
I think that's the reason why Babyosisi advised someone going into media to look elsewhere because of the accent baggage.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 3:30pm On Oct 17, 2013
Its basic common sense. Which organisation would employ an accented foreigner to be their spokesman

Even in Nigeria would you see a Congolese with a funny name and accent working in media and communications?

They are the first line of contact for every company and everyone would like to put their best foot forward

The truth is most companies would prefer to have a Blonde girl between 20-35yrs as their first contact or communication outlet

If you are not, You have 2 options Either sulk, whine and complain forever about it OR find another field to excel in
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
quick question oo...

is weed , igbo buisness still possible in d u.s??!

na dat one be my main target?!

grin grin grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
Inverted hammer,yes and no to your points.
Yes jobs in media are not encouraged
However

I am in a profession that has a lot of foreigners and my job requires public speaking sometimes
I agree with you and dayo,you have to be open and willing to learn new things here
Chinese and Indians have worse accents than us
In almost every job you may be required to do presentations and it requires speaking
I know tons of Nigerian school teachers
Even one has to attend speech classes to learn how to pronounce words better,you do it
Your skills will open a way for you
That is why I love America
If you are making sense,believe me,they will listen to you and your accent.

You need loads of confidence to make it here
Confidence in who you are and what you can do

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Aladelokun: 3:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

Nice answer
The key to college admission for the daughter is her SAT score
She has to kill that exam
The highest score is 2400
If her daughter gets 2100 and above colleges will be begging her to come and collect scholarship
I am serious
Even if she doesn't get a full scholarship,the tuition she'll be pay will be very reduced.

There is an Igbo girl I met last year, JJC,she got an admission on full scholarship to one of the historically black universities here in the USA straight from Lagos.
Her arrival was her first time ever in the USA
So it can be done.

tell me more how she try it so that i can also apply
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 3:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
deejay_harry1: quick question oo...

is weed , igbo buisness still possible in d u.s??!

na dat one be my main target?!

grin grin grin

Yes it is. You can make it quick by selling dope

There is a little snag its also the fastest way of getting to jail or better still back to naija you wont even need to buy a ticket.

I heard about a Naija boy Charlie in Houston around 2003. He was quite smart in school but decided to go for the weed selling route, He sold to an undercover cop and a week later they processed his papers and landed in Muritala Now he calls his friends in America to beg for $100 to survive.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu: Its basic common sense. Which organisation would employ an accented foreigner to be their spokesman

Even in Nigeria would you see a Congolese with a funny name and accent working in media and communications?

They are the first line of contact for every company and everyone would like to put their best foot forward

The truth is most companies would prefer to have a Blonde girl between 20-35yrs as their first contact or communication outlet

If you are not, You have 2 options Either sulk, whine and complain forever about it OR find another field to excel in

You are correct about that
However the blonde or AA girl may be the receptionist but the CEO could be Nigerian
There is a provost of an Illinois university that is a Yoruba man
The provost of Texas southern is an Igbo man,his mother is from Calabar
There is a a middle belter in the top management of Ford motor company
I am talking about Nigerians with our Nigerian accents

There are several Nigerians in high positions that require speaking and interacting with authorities.
That is why we emphasize education and skills
When you position yourself well,they will respect you and your accent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by notinmege: 3:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
Black skin will never stop disgracing themselves everywhere, why?
Repent for the kingdom of black races is at hand, lol!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Aladelokun: 3:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
Just explain to me how i can also apply to write those exams and just get a scholarship in the U.S too to study medicine. Actually, am a medical student in naija too(a beginner). I will be expecting your honest reply @ any1 who wana help
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu:

Yes it is. You can make it quick by selling dope

There is a little snag its also the fastest way of getting to jail or better still back to naija you wont even need to buy a ticket.

I heard about a Naija boy Charlie in Houston around 2003. He was quite smart in school but decided to go for the weed selling route, He sold to an undercover cop and a week later they processed his papers and landed in Muritala Now he calls his friends in America to beg for $100 to survive.
i also heard tht the man with d most beautiful house in nigeria, was once convicted in d u.s for drugs, but now com see d way him dey flex for naija... lol..

i no fear anythng , ODESHI DEY

grin grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 3:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
Aladelokun: Just explain to me how i can also apply to write those exams and just get a scholarship in the U.S too to study medicine. Actually, am a medical student in naija too(a beginner). I will be expecting your honest reply @ any1 who wana help
Go to collegeboard.org and register for sat or register through their affiliates in Nigeria and then look for schools that offer scholarships to international students and when filling your SAT form, you input 4 schools of your choice and you're good to go.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 17, 2013
Aladelokun: Just explain to me how i can also apply to write those exams and just get a scholarship in the U.S too to study medicine. Actually, am a medical student in naija too(a beginner). I will be expecting your honest reply @ any1 who wana help

If you are already in med school in Nigeria,I advise you to finish med school before planning to come
Medical education is very expensive and not easy to get into
It is not a first degree course either so you can't get in straight from secondary school
You must have a first degree already before med school
Your best bet is to come already qualified then take the USMLE exams
One in five medical doctors in the USA is trained abroad and the demand is there so there is work for you when you come.
Great choice of profession
Don't let the 2nd MBBS get you wink

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by spikesC(m): 3:42pm On Oct 17, 2013
Stegomiah: wow! So happy this thread is on the fp, osisi we gatz celebrate this, probably after the myriads of questions that will be thrown at you
eermmm, u have mail wink
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by tdade(m): 3:42pm On Oct 17, 2013
Babyosisi, well done on this thread ma'am, you're doing a good job.
Now, unto 'me'. I'm trying to convince my old man to let me study in US, but he's a bit hesitant. I need advice on schools. I'm thinking of going the CC route and then transfer to a uni owing to the cost. I've checked san jacinto and HCC and they seem to fit. My only fear is that, although my dad won't want me to work and can pay all through, I like being independent, but I'm not sure I can work with an F-1 visa - I'd like your input on this ma'am. And yes, I can try the SAT and hope for a good offer, but I'm pretty made up about the Community College - partly cause of the opportunity to join PTK if I'm very good(which I am) and the fact that its very flexible. Thanks in advance.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Dan1el: 3:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
Thanks 4 this thread. I graduated from Botany but i always wanted medicine. When i asked 4 d cost 2 study med abroad. My cousin told me 2 budget 10m, which is too much. Another cousin of mine told me dat since my first degree is botany dat they are many medical field 4 me over there. I told my uncle in Australia. He said i should study med here then come over. That he regrets not doing so. He studied lab tech b4 travelling. Now , it's been difficult 2 get the admission here and time is ticking. Wat do u suggest
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 3:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

You are correct about that
However the blonde or AA girl may be the receptionist but the CEO could be Nigerian
There is a provost of an Illinois university that is a Yoruba man
The provost of Texas southern is an Igbo man,his mother is from Calabar
There is a a middle belter in the top management of Ford motor company
I am talking about Nigerians with our Nigerian accents

There are several Nigerians in high positions that require speaking and interacting with authorities.
That is why we emphasize education and skills
When you position yourself well,they will respect you and your accent

I know the man Ilesanmi Adesida The Vice Chancellor at University of Illinois a Professor of Electrical Engineering.

When you have stuffs to offer, they listen to your accent, I just finished a conference call now with several Indians, Italians and some Americans and with all the accent there was no communication issue

One of my friends with a very thick accent when a company's datacenter was going down they were all forced to understand his accent by force
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 3:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
tdade: Babyosisi, well done on this thread ma'am, you're doing a good job.
Now, unto 'me'. I'm trying to convince my old man to let me study in US, but he's a bit hesitant. I need advice on schools. I'm thinking of going the CC route and then transfer to a uni owing to the cost. I've checked san jacinto and HCC and they seem to fit. My only fear is that, although my dad won't want me to work and can pay all through, I like being independent, but I'm not sure I can work with an F-1 visa - I'd like your input on this ma'am. And yes, I can try the SAT and hope for a good offer, but I'm pretty made up about the Community College - partly cause of the opportunity to join PTK if I'm very good(which I am) and the fact that its very flexible. Thanks in advance.
I'll advise that you apply to a 4 year college and when you get there, you can switch to a community college. The American embassy hesitate in giving people who are attending community colleges a VISA.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think that's the reason why Babyosisi advised someone going into media to look elsewhere because of the accent baggage.

But Brits here such as Piers Morgan, Georgie Thompson, Isha Sesay (Sierra Leonian that has an English accent), do very well in the US broadcast media.
All a Nigerian immigrant needs is to 'modify' his/her accent a little.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 17, 2013
tdade: Babyosisi, well done on this thread ma'am, you're doing a good job.

What is PTK?
Someone correct me if it has changed holders of FI visas are eligible for what they call work study
You can be hired to work on campus but I guess that will depend on availability
When I was in school,I had an Indian friend that did work study,filing books in the library and doing some office jobs after hours and before classes.
That is the only type of job you can do,on campus.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 3:46pm On Oct 17, 2013

Complete your medical school in Nigeria because its cheaper, While in Medical school write your USMLE, I think you can write step 1 in Ghana probably Step 2 CK too

but you need to be in the US to write Step 2 Clinical Skills
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 3:47pm On Oct 17, 2013
CFCfan:

But Brits here such as Piers Morgan, Georgie Thompson, Isha Sesay (Sierra Leonian that has an English accent), do very well in the US broadcast media.
All a Nigerian immigrant needs is to 'modify' his/her accent a little.
The English accent is worshiped in America, so i'm not surprised. It's also a mainstream accent. One's accent just needs to be clear in order to succeed in the media.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by tdade(m): 3:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'll advise that you apply to a 4 year college and when you get there, you can switch to a community college. The American embassy hesitate in giving people who are attending community colleges a VISA.
Alright, thanks. Heard something like that from an uncle, too.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (34) (Reply)

See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria / 2 people Die As Helicopter Crashes Into Building in Opebi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.