Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,790 members, 7,817,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80314 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 17, 2013
lorretta u: he's in Washington state. Is it a good place to be?

I have never been there but my hubby spent sometime in Seattle Washington and loved the environment.
But Seattle is very liberal ,one of those places you can see a man and his male lover holding hands or kissing in the streets
I hear it rains a lot too like in England.
It's not a popular state with Nigerians but You will like it
If you are someone into the Naija social life like the weddings and birthday bashes and associations etc,you may not like it that much.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:03am On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

I have never been there but my hubby spent sometime in Seattle Washington and loved the environment.
But Seattle is very liberal ,one of those places you can see a man and his male lover holding hands or kissing in the streets

My brother lives in Washington state. I visited the place in 2010, and you're right; it rained almost everyday while I was there.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:05am On Oct 17, 2013
CFCfan:

My brother lives in Washington state. I visited the place in 2010, and you're right; it rained almost everyday while I was there.

Na so I hear o
Did you say somewhere that you were in the Chicago area?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:08am On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

Na so I hear o
Did you say somewhere that you were in the Chicago area?

I live in San Diego county, CA. Never been to the windy city cool
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:01am On Oct 17, 2013
In that expensive place?
So na me and rich people dey hear dey chat?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Lucasbalo(m): 3:52am On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi: In that expensive place?
Tell that fellow to try Chitown, the best big city in U S. Not that expensive for a big city and good job opportunity and it's very clean. The only downside is the brutal winter.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 6:18am On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi: In that expensive place?

I'm middle-class oh, but I pray I'll be rich wink
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 6:20am On Oct 17, 2013
Lucasbalo: Tell that fellow to try Chitown, the best big city in U S. Not that expensive for a big city and good job opportunity and it's very clean. The only downside is the brutal winter.
I'll research the place.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 17, 2013
Oh thanks smiley
It's seattle to be exact.that's where he lives.

Keep up the good work

babyosisi:

If you are someone into the Naija social life like the weddings and birthday bashes and associations etc,you may not like it that much.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Tochium: 12:09pm On Oct 17, 2013
Thank you for the good job you are doing on here. May God reward you exceedingly for finding time to educate us.

I want to know more about Connecticut, whats the weather like? transportation network? cheap or expensive? job opportunity?

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:25pm On Oct 17, 2013
Tochium: Thank you for the good job you are doing on here. May God reward you exceedingly for finding time to educate us.

I want to know more about Connecticut, whats the weather like? transportation network? cheap or expensive? job opportunity?

I have been to Connecticut many years ago with my family and visited the campus of the world famous Yale University.
Connecticut is reputed to be one of the most elitist states in the USA
They lead in almost every parameters
Standard of living
Education
Healthcare
Lowest poverty rate
They have the highest scores on standardized testings
The best boarding schools for children of the yuppies are in that area
The very rich including the money bags in New York have their family homes in Connecticut.
Cost of living is high though,like New York.
We have a few family friends in Connecticut.
Mike Tyson in the height of his fame had his wife and children living in Connecticut
It is a great place to raise children
I know they have good train system to NY city
We know someone who took up a job in New York two years ago and commutes by train daily and back to Connecticut,wife and kids still in Connecticut.
My best states in the North east are Connecticut and Massachusetts

If you are planning to go and hustle,Connecticut is not the place to be.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
I don enter front page
Jehovah thank sir grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by arthgideon: 2:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
In America, how is the level of racism?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by SIRcumalot: 2:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
What does this american goverment shutdown mean is it like our normal NLC strike action ?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
arthgideon: In America, how is the level of racism?

Racism exists no doubt but it cannot stop anyone
Has tribalism ever stopped anyone in Nigeria from succeeding?
There are actual laws against discrimination in the work place and employers take it very very seriously
If racism was that bad, many of us would have run back home
It hasn't stopped us and it will not
Thanks to MLK,Medgar Evers and all the pioneers that fought and died for equality
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by arthgideon: 2:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

Racism exists no doubt but it cannot stop anyone
Has tribalism ever stopped anyone in Nigeria from succeeding?
There are actual laws against discrimination in the work place and employers take it very very seriously
If racism was that bad, many of us would have run back home
It hasn't stopped us and it has
Thanks to MLK,Medgar Evers and all the pioneers that fought and died for equality

Thanks. Ive been to America too. The last time was in 2010. When i went i didnt nor withness any form of it tho. Tho i hear alot of it happening. I like America. Especially New York.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 17, 2013
SIR cum a lot:
What does this american goverment shutdown mean is it like our normal NLC strike action ?

Sort of in a way but the people didn't start it
It was the work of stupid Republicans that wanted to frustrate Barack Obama in his health care reform
They ganged up and refused to pass the budget including the budget for the Health care reform thereby crippling the federal government
Federal government workers had to sit home for two weeks without pay
It was all about politics
I hear it has been resolved or about to be resolved
The republicans have had to swallow their stupid pride.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
Please take time to read through the thread before asking questions as I have answered many in the previous pages
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by indoorlove(m): 2:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
Great job babyosisi, please is there any full scale scholarship one can apply for as an undergraduate. I'm currently a student of maths/edu and hoping to continue my education abroad, though on scholarship. Thanks.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:56pm On Oct 17, 2013
arthgideon:

Thanks. Ive been to America too. The last time was in 2010. When i went i didnt nor withness any form of it tho. Tho i hear alot of it happening. I like America. Especially New York.

New York particularly is a melting pot as Americans will say
Everyone from any country on the face of the planet is represented there
It's like London England or Lagos in Nigeria with respect to other ethnicities
It has become a No man's land
If you live there,you are a New Yorker just like those in Lagos are called Lagosians
Almost everyone you meet there moved from somewhere.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by arthgideon: 3:00pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

New York particularly is a melting pot as Americans will say
Everyone from any country on the face of the planet is represented there
It's like London England or Lagos in Nigeria with respect to other ethnicities
It has become a No man's land
If you live there,you are a New Yorker just like those in Lagos are called Lagosians
Almost everyone you meet there moved from somewhere.

True about. The last time i was there, i saw people from all over. I think there might be more foriegners in New York than London.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Stegomiah: 3:02pm On Oct 17, 2013
wow! So happy this thread is on the fp, osisi we gatz celebrate this, probably after the myriads of questions that will be thrown at you
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 17, 2013
indoorlove: Great job babyosisi, please is there any full scale scholarship one can apply for as an undergraduate. I'm currently a student of maths/edu and hoping to continue my education abroad, though on scholarship. Thanks.

I don't know much about scholarships but I know they exist and I have net Nigerians schooling here in various scholarships.
I hope someone reading can give us some information on that.
What I do know is that the Ivy League schools give scholarships to students from many developing countries since their scholarships are need based.
If you happen to get admission to the Ivy League schools,they give generous scholarships based on needs.
Getting into an Ivy League is no beans sha
Your GRE for postgrad or SAT scores for high schoolers has to be in the top 5% to even be considered.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
Stegomiah: wow! So happy this thread is on the fp, osisi we gatz celebrate this, probably after the myriads of questions that will be thrown at you

We need to wash it wallahi
Oya stand by and help answer questions
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Aladelokun: 3:09pm On Oct 17, 2013
I just want to ask about any university over ther that can offer scholarship especially to study medicine?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Aladelokun: 3:09pm On Oct 17, 2013
and how can i apply?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by indoorlove(m): 3:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

I don't know much about scholarships but I know they exist and I have net Nigerians schooling here in various scholarships.
I hope someone reading can give us some information on that.
What I do know is that the Ivy League schools give scholarships to students from many developing countries since their scholarships are need based.
If you happen to get admission to the Ivy League schools,they give generous scholarships based on needs.
Getting into an Ivy League is no beans sha
Your GRE for postgrad or SAT scores for high schoolers has to be in the top 5% to even be considered.
thanks.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 17, 2013
FOR those planning to do post grad

Besides your first degree and transcript the schools here require you do an exam called GRE or graduate record exams
I took it many years ago as a paper exam,it is now computerized.
I don't know if it can be done in Nigeria
TOEFL is the other needed exam also

GRE is like an aptitude examination that tests your thinking and analytical and English and vocabulary skills amongst other things.
It is also an exam of speed.
You have a short time to finish a section or it times out and once you are done with that section,you cannot go back and review them.

Most schools require a good GRE score ( forgotten the range now) and it differs from school to school.

So if you are planning to get admission for postgrad studies

You need yo take TOEFL with TSE (Test of written English) and score well
YOu need a good GRE score

If you are planning on going to med school,you need to take the MCAT
If Business school for MBA and the like,you need to take the GMAT
For law school,the LSAT etc

Your scores in these exams tell the schools that you have the right analytical capability to cope with with a graduate course.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Deeaba(m): 3:13pm On Oct 17, 2013
What are my chances of gaining admission into any university in the US for masters. I studied sociology and anthropology an I finished with a 2.2 3.3cgpa. I want 2 go into management. Do I have any chance?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 3:13pm On Oct 17, 2013
Nice one Osisi for opening this thread

I would advise anyone in Nigeria who wants to come to US to do so, Its truly a land flowing with milk and honey if you know what to do.

First of all come with a mind of going to school and learning new skills, Be flexible, Have an open mind and not a defeatist attitude

I came to US in 2008 August and I can only thank God for the opportunity. I have several friends on this same Nairaland whom I met here that came around 2010 and are doing verrrry goood

I know 3 of them who comes to visit me regularly and we talk all of them make between 75k and 110k a yr, The three of them came in 2010.

America has been good to me and I would advise anyone with drive to succeed to come

NB: I had an excellent job in Nigeria before leaving and still havent regretted any day of it

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Deeaba(m): 3:13pm On Oct 17, 2013
What are my chances of gaining admission into any university in the US for masters. I studied sociology and anthropology an I finished with a 2.2 3.3cgpa. I want 2 go into management. Do I have any chance? Please some1 should please talk to me

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (34) (Reply)

See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria / Sad Truths About Living Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.