Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80281 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 3:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
Dan1el: Thanks 4 this thread. I graduated from Botany but i always wanted medicine. When i asked 4 d cost 2 study med abroad. My cousin told me 2 budget 10m, which is too much. Another cousin of mine told me dat since my first degree is botany dat they are many medical field 4 me over there. I told my uncle in Australia. He said i should study med here then come over. That he regrets not doing so. He studied lab tech b4 travelling. Now , it's been difficult 2 get the admission here and time is ticking. Wat do u suggest

You cant study medicine in US unless you have a Green card. (Osisi Am I right?)

The best option for you is to try those Carribean medical schools graduate , write your USMLE and come into the US.

if you have the option of getting a medical degree before coming to the US dont miss it
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by nicky4lif(f): 3:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
An uncle of mine won visa lottery nd has been in the US for many years now with his family,now there is an orphane he is trying to help take her over to the Us.she didnt go to school nd she doesn't intend to.he said there are some jobs she can do that will pay her well.she can make hair cos she is a hair dresser here so I want to know the other things she can do that will pay her?anything.cos before she can start up a shop,she will need to work for some time to get the money.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Pain(m): 3:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
The simple fact is that life is a often a calculated gamble. One question I d like to ask is this: If you are a fisherman and you have the option of casting your net in a big ocean or a small pond which one will you choose? Most of life choices are similar. Make your pick!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
Go to collegeboard.org and register for sat or register through their affiliates in Nigeria and then look for schools that offer scholarships to international students and when filling your SAT form, you input 4 schools of your choice and you're good to go.

Thank you for that
The SAT scores are reported back to college board and the universities here check those scores
So if you score very highly,schools will be contacting you based on your scores even before you contact them
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 3:51pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu:

The best option for you is to try those Carribean medical schools graduate , write your USMLE and come into the US.

if you have the option of getting a medical degree before coming to the US dont miss it
My cousin is studying medicine in the US and she went to the US for the first time 3 years ago.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by answerme(f): 3:51pm On Oct 17, 2013
From what i've read and heard about the place, i'm not really a fan. Do you know that blacks account for over 60% in that city? I want a city with the right mix.

Come to Boston Afam smiley
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 3:52pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

What is PTK?
Someone correct me if it has changed holders of FI visas are eligible for what they call work study
You can be hired to work on campus but I guess that will depend on availability
When I was in school,I had an Indian friend that did work study,filing books in the library and doing some office jobs after hours and before classes.
That is the only type of job you can do,on campus.

If you want to study in a community College I would advise you to do this

Get an admission into a regular Univerisity as F1, Get also for a community college, Go to the embassy with your University admission and I-20

When you get to US, transfer your I-20 to the community college

The community colleges are usually cheaper and If you can find someone to stay with like a family friend you can cut costs of the first two yrs

The same Calculus you take for $300 at HCC might cost you $2000 at University of Houston

6 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 3:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
answerme:
Come to Boston Afam smiley
If not for the cold, i think Boston is a nice place. It's an elitist city just like other cities and states in New England.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by tdade(m): 3:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
CFCfan:

But Brits here such as Piers Morgan, Georgie Thompson, Isha Sesay (Sierra Leonian that has an English accent), do very well in the US broadcast media.
All a Nigerian immigrant needs is to 'modify' his/her accent a little.
The British accent is worshiped everywhere. BTW, that Piers Morgan you mentioned, no sane company would turn him down with his CV.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Mamacita007(f): 3:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
My cousin is studying medicine in the US and she went to the US for the first time 3 years ago.

maybe ur cousin is in pre-med. thats why most nigerians settle for nursing, pharmacy & dentisty when it comes to healthcare & greencard
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by DSB(m): 3:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think that's the reason why Babyosisi advised someone going into media to look elsewhere because of the accent baggage.

This is not completely valid. There is 'who knows who in America too' and I have dealt with people with crazier accent than mine while working in the US. So you can still get a 'communication' job with your accent if you know your onions. However, you have better chances with the 'non-communication' jobs
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Mamacita007(f): 3:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
CFCfan:

I'm middle-class oh, but I pray I'll be rich wink

mmmmmmmmm
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu:

I don't think that's true
State universities may have residency requirements but there are tons of private universities that will take candidates who qualify and can pay
You can study medicine on an FI visa if you have an admission and the funds to pay
The problem is getting in
It is very very competitive such that Americans are going to South America and the Caribbean's to get admission then come back and take the USMLE to do residency here.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 3:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
Mamacita007:

maybe ur cousin is in pre-med. thats why most nigerians settle for nursing, pharmacy & dentisty when it comes to healthcare & greencard
She's actually pre-med. So, after pre-med, she'll still have to go to medical school just like it is in law?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 3:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
nicky4lif: An uncle of mine won visa lottery nd has been in the US for many years now with his family,now there is an orphane he is trying to help take her over to the Us.she didnt go to school nd she doesn't intend to.he said there are some jobs she can do that will pay her well.she can make hair cos she is a hair dresser here so I want to know the other things she can do that will pay her?anything.cos before she can start up a shop,she will need to work for some time to get the money.

Are you sure they are not trying to love-vendor this girl? Sorry if I sounded harsh but how can a young girl not be interested in education.

This is America not Italy
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 3:55pm On Oct 17, 2013
DSB:

This is not completely valid. There is 'who knows who in America too' and I have dealt with people with crazier accent than mine while working in the US. So you can still get a 'communication' job with your accent if you know your onions. However, you have better chances with the 'non-communication' jobs
That's what we're trying to say. It's always better to play safe.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by tdade(m): 3:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

What is PTK?
Someone correct me if it has changed holders of FI visas are eligible for what they call work study
You can be hired to work on campus but I guess that will depend on availability
When I was in school,I had an Indian friend that did work study,filing books in the library and doing some office jobs after hours and before classes.
That is the only type of job you can do,on campus.
Thanks for the reply. Phi Theta Kappa, a honors society for associate degree students - and quite prestigious, with a LOT of benefits. @dayokanu, cheers mate.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 3:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
She's actually pre-med. So, after pre-med, she'll still have to go to medical school just like it is in law?

Pre med is a whole different ball game and just like getting a degree in Biology

Medical school admission is very controlled in the US and being a resident is usually one of the roadblocks that can drop your application

Also its very expensive and almost impossible to get a medical education without a loan

An average American trained doctor has $300,000 in student loans
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:58pm On Oct 17, 2013
@ Dayokanu: No natural American will complain of your accent if you are the boss of the company; or if they need financial help grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 3:59pm On Oct 17, 2013
CFCfan: @ Dayokanu: No natural American will complain of your accent if you are the boss of the company; or if they need financial help grin
As long as you won't be appearing in your company's advert grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by lorddarshwood(m): 3:59pm On Oct 17, 2013
85% of people"?? i don't agree with you on that,which means 85% of us lives in abject poverty,please my fellow nigerians tune in to sony max and cbs reallity and some other stations on dstv and see how poverty also reign america,you guys should stop bragging about usa like as if its ur birthright or fore fathers country...f*ck u both,in Nigeria I staand and in it I shall make it,Africa is the future of the world...
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by donodion(m): 3:59pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi: This is an answer to the other person trying to scare folks and paint pictures of America being an impossible place full of of ghettos
Don't let Nigerians who have no plans deceive you
Ask any questions and yours truly will give you an honest answer just like it is
I have lived half my life outside of Nigeria and mostly in America and [b]a proud Nigerian too [/b]so I should know what I'm Saying
Oya fire on.
This is nice and very welcoming topic.im surprised it came from you babyosis (with your naughty posts).Henceforth im following you on nairaland now...ride on dear.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Aladelokun: 4:01pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

If you are already in med school in Nigeria,I advise you to finish med school before planning to come
Medical education is very expensive and not easy to get into
It is not a first degree course either so you can't get in straight from secondary school
You must have a first degree already before med school
Your best bet is to come already qualified then take the USMLE exams
One in five medical doctors in the USA is trained abroad and the demand is there so there is work for you when you come.
Great choice of profession
Don't let the 2nd MBBS get you wink
what do u mean by 'Don't let the 2nd MBBS get you' but it is a must a student must finish his degree in nigeria before applying there. I will be expecting your honest reply
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 17, 2013
nicky4lif: An uncle of mine won visa lottery nd has been in the US for many years now with his family,now there is an orphane he is trying to help take her over to the Us.she didnt go to school nd she doesn't intend to.he said there are some jobs she can do that will pay her well.she can make hair cos she is a hair dresser here so I want to know the other things she can do that will pay her?anything.cos before she can start up a shop,she will need to work for some time to get the money.

They want to use the poor orphan girl as a maid and it is a crime of slavery
I hope their plans fail
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 17, 2013
Aladelokun: what do u mean by 'Don't let the 2nd MBBS get you' but it is a must a student must finish his degree in nigeria before applying there. I will be expecting your honest reply

The 2nd MB exams in most med schools in Nigeria is the rate limiting step where people are weeded off just before the clinical years
I was just making a joke that you study hard to get over that step
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 4:03pm On Oct 17, 2013
Aladelokun: what do u mean by 'Don't let the 2nd MBBS get you' but it is a must a student must finish his degree in nigeria before applying there. I will be expecting your honest reply

Its a must you complete your medical education in Nigeria before coming here. Else you mgith find it hard

There is a world of difference between someone who has a semester to graduate and one who is a graduate
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
CFCfan: @ Dayokanu: No natural American will complain of your accent if you are the boss of the company; or if they need financial help grin

Unless he decides to wear agbada to his company's annual retreat
I can see dayo dressed in complete agbada to work
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by DSB(m): 4:05pm On Oct 17, 2013
Osisi and Eze are doing a great job with this thread. However, there are also opportunities for you if you are good with your hands. Vocational skills are paid well here. Plumbing, house flipping, electrician etc....So don't be biased towards the bluecollar, if you aint that bookish, you still have a chance.

NOTE: The number of years someone you know has spent in the US does not translate to them perfectly knowing about the system. I am talking from experience. Do your own research and do not 'look unto anyone for help'. Some people do help but most only talk with no action. Independence is a veritable tool in the US. You might be lucky to have friends or family that will help but still have it at the back of your mind that you are on your own.

I wasted almost 2years because I was waiting to be helped. when I realised I was on my own, I sped up real fast. It is my 3rd year and I have a good job (a little less than 90k/yr) and running my msc by the side. Most importantly, plan ahead and do not let anyone sweettalk you into not pursuing your dreams. You can be anything you wanna be in this country.

Goodluck

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 4:08pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

Unless he decides to wear agbada to his company's annual retreat
I can see dayo dressed in complete agbada to work

You know Naija women are the most guilty of this. They cant do with that their owambe Aso Ebi and Polyester Gele
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fernandoc(m): 4:09pm On Oct 17, 2013
This post took so long to make front page. Hi babyosisi!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by tdade(m): 4:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu:

You know Naija women are the most guilty of this. They cant do with that their owambe Aso Ebi and Polyester Gele
you should see them in north London.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by cherriex(f): 4:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
@op,am a graduate nurse and will soon go for service and am thinking of doin my masters there.But I dnt knw if they allow one to work and study at the same time and pls what are my chances of gettin visa or the criteria.tanx.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (34) (Reply)

Sad Truths About Living Abroad / See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.