Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,512 members, 7,816,237 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary (19107 Views)

Yoruba Leaders’ Threat Against Fulani Herdsmen Diversionary – Falana / Jonathan's National Conference Is Due To His Second Term Fear-he May Break Nigr. / Fraudulent Amalgamation Of 1914: Sovereign National Conference Is The Way To Go (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 05, 2013
Recently Afenifere has been shouting 4 GEJ to call a SNC after boko haram threatened to replace democracy wit sharia nd d massive killings in d north. How can one Tinubu appear frm no where to question dis

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 05, 2013
luvinhubby:
Considering the enormity of the security challenges (highest since the civil war) and the amount of resources diverted into it, don`t you think GEJ has more than matched his words with actions, sentiments aside?

Below are Jonathan's words; not mine.

An Editorial page of Premium Times, Feb. 19, 2013 has it that, “Jonathan personally promised not to run in 2015, a denial today that is bareface lie.” The page continued: At a press conference in Abuja in late 2010, a day ahead of President Goodluck Jonathan’s formal declaration to run in the 2011 presidential election, Mr. Dalhatu Tafida, then Director General of the Jonathan/Sambo campaign organisation, said the president won’t seek another term in 2015. The president, he said, would be available for only a single term if elected.” “I’ll not contest in 2015-Jonathan (2011),” see Daily Independent, Sept 9, 2013. “Four years is enough for anyone in power to make significant improvement and if I can’t improve on power within this period, it then means I cannot do anything even if I am there for the next four years” (Nigerian Vanguard, Feb. 1, 2011). The New PDP is also pointing to a 2011 statement credited to Jonathan in Ankara, Turkey, which states that “President Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, said he has no ambition to stay in office beyond 2015, assuring Nigerians in Diaspora that while he will not contest the 2015 election, he will ensure that this year’s election is free and fair.”

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 05, 2013
payless:

List just two tangible things Jonathan has done to touch the lives of the common man.

Dis is nt about wot GEJ has or has nt done 4 d common man. Fact is dat there is so mch tension in d air nd we hav to sit down nd talk now. NOW!

1 Like

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by atlwireles: 9:32pm On Oct 05, 2013
payless:

An Editorial page of Premium Times, Feb. 19, 2013 has it that, “Jonathan personally promised not to run in 2015, a denial today that is bareface lie.” The page continued: At a press conference in Abuja in late 2010, a day ahead of President Goodluck Jonathan’s formal declaration to run in the 2011 presidential election, Mr. Dalhatu Tafida, then Director General of the Jonathan/Sambo campaign organisation, said the president won’t seek another term in 2015. The president, he said, would be available for only a single term if elected.” “I’ll not contest in 2015-Jonathan (2011),” see Daily Independent, Sept 9, 2013. “Four years is enough for anyone in power to make significant improvement and if I can’t improve on power within this period, it then means I cannot do anything even if I am there for the next four years” (Nigerian Vanguard, Feb. 1, 2011). The New PDP is also pointing to a 2011 statement credited to Jonathan in Ankara, Turkey, which states that “President Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, said he has no ambition to stay in office beyond 2015, assuring Nigerians in Diaspora that while he will not contest the 2015 election, he will ensure that this year’s election is free and fair.”

How do you know those are Jonah's words, because a Nigerian newspaper said so

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by luvinhubby(m): 9:37pm On Oct 05, 2013
payless:

List just two tangible things Jonathan has done to touch the lives of the common man.
1, My village of nativity has 18hrs of power supply courtesy of GEJ`s 50kva sub-station there and power reforms in Nigeria.
2, A functional rice mill is fully operational in the same village of my nativity, employing tens of youths, courtesy of GEJ`s agriculture reforms.

Do you want more? wink

12 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
luvinhubby:
1, My village of nativity has 18hrs of power supply courtesy of GEJ`s 50kva sub-station there and power reforms in Nigeria.
2, A functional rice mill is fully operational in the same village of my nativity, employing tens of youths, courtesy of GEJ`s agriculture reforms.

Do you want more? wink

What about my village? Have you been to my village? There is no place in Nigeria where anyone enjoys 18hrs of electricity supply. It is a ruse, bros.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
Yoruba's as usual,they hv gone to take heed with there slave masters...don't be surprised if dz Afenifere group of d yorubas,vote against true federalism and resource control in the last minute,its there nature...

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 05, 2013
atlwireles:

How do you know those are Jonah's words, because a Nigerian newspaper said so

Google those dates with the name of each newspaper beside it. You guys are ready to go any length to defend indefensible.

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 05, 2013
payless:

What about my village? Have you been to my village? There is no place in Nigeria where anyone enjoys 18hrs of electricity supply. It is a ruse, bros.
Payless come to my so called village as u yoruba's term it and see for yourself, the only time we suffer blackout is only during maintenance,,,though d plant wz bought and being maintained by donation and contributions from our indegenes at home and in diaspora.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by atlwireles: 9:56pm On Oct 05, 2013
payless:

Google those dates with the name of each newspaper beside it. You guys are ready to go any length to defend indefensible.
Play a news report with Jonah saying those words. Let's listen to the context of what he said. That's actually besides, the point. What Nigeria needs now is not an election in 2015. But the kind of country where that election will happen in 2015. You might be having one in 2015 in O'dua's republic , we just don't know yet. Anybody looking towards 2015, without seeing the rivers of flowing blood ahead is either politically blind or plain wicked.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 05, 2013
atlwireles:
Play a news report with Jonah saying those words. Let's listen to the context of what he said. That's actually besides, the point. What Nigeria needs now is not an election in 2015. But the kind of country where that election will happen in 2015. You might be having one in 2015 in O'dua's republic , we just don't know yet. Anybody looking towards 2015, without seeing the rivers of flowing blood ahead is either politically blind or plain wicked.

So all reports must be in video? Tell me another one.........
Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by atlwireles: 10:00pm On Oct 05, 2013
payless:

So all reports must be in video? Tell me another one.........

Let's see it when you find it.
Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 10:04pm On Oct 05, 2013
GEJ 2015...

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by kettykin: 10:10pm On Oct 05, 2013
payless:

Even if Jonathan said that, since when did nigerian leaders start keeping to their words, Gowon refused to keep to the Aburi accord which would have solved nigerian problems 100% based on Awolowo's advice and other south west leaders,
Awolowo refused to keep to his word that if by ommission or commission the East was allowed to secede the West would secede preferring to become a finance minister and a vice president immediately the east seceded.
Obasanjo, babangiga , ,mark, useni, Gowon buhari, danjuma all swore to spill the last drop of their hypocritical blood to keep Nigeria United but they couldn't spill a drop of sweat when Cameroon took over bakassi.
If nigerians want agreement to be kept then the first international agreement the Aburi accord should be revisited

17 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by warrior01: 10:19pm On Oct 05, 2013
payless:

Sorry oh! I thought all of you are from Lagos; the land flowing with milk and honey.

8 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 10:35pm On Oct 05, 2013
Didn't know that yorubas have villages.I thought they have great cities.
payless:

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by eazzzy1(m): 11:01pm On Oct 05, 2013
Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by theoctopus: 11:42pm On Oct 05, 2013
[size=14pt]Tinubu calls for Sovereign National Conference[/size]

25/11/2011 00:30:00

Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) National Leader Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has said only a Sovereign National Conference (SNC) would save the weakening pillars of Nigeria as a federal entity.

He spoke at the first Anthony Enahoro Memorial Lecture at the Benin Club, Benin City, Edo State, yesterday.

Represented by Ekiti State Deputy Governor Mrs Funmi Olayinka, Tinubu said: “I submit to you today that because of the multiple issues surrounding our skewed federalism and constitutional flaws, the Nigerian nation is weak.

“Unless we move to strengthen it through dialogue and equity, we will remain a nation in mere words.”

The ACN leader said fixing the national pillar would entail a robust people-driven debate, insisting that any artificial tinkering of the present constitution would fall short.

He said: “The 21-member Presidential Committee on the Review of Outstanding Constitutional Issues (PCROCI) recently set up by President Goodluck Jonathan falls short.

“It is a backdoor approach to the issue of national conference. In memory of Chief Enahoro we must convoke a national conference. It would provide a platform to address our pressing concerns.”

He said it was ironic that Nigeria once a product of dialogue at independence now has leaders who avoid robust dialogue state policy. But he stated that free and unfettered dialogue holds the key to Nigeria’s rebirth.

“The people ought to be consulted on the issue of subsidy. We ought to have a referendum on the question, not only of oil subsidy but also on sovereign wealth fund as well as the proposed one-term of seven years proposed by President Goodluck Jonathan,” he said.

Tinubu said federalism as a development paradigm for a multi-national country was no mere labelling, adding that it assures both economic and political fairness.

“Our economic system is supposed to be open and fair. But it is even more slanted and biased than the political system,” he told the audience. “We do not operate a free and fair merit-based economy. We operate a feudal economy, where those in power decide by the whim of the moment who becomes rich and who stays poor.”

He regretted, however, that the military’s over-centralisation had arrested growth and stunted development.

“This has not only stalled development, it has affected recurrent and capital expenditure.

“This fuels corruption at the centre and makes the system a mockery of development.

“It gives a winner-takes-all quality to the presidential election. This is wrong. That is why progressives have been calling for fiscal federalism,” Tinubu said

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/27491-tinubu-calls-for-sovereign-national-conference.html

[size=14pt]Tinubu Advocates Sovereign National Conference[/size]

Date: 24 November 2011

Nothing short of a sovereign national conference (SNC) will save the weakening pillars of Nigeria as a federal entity, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, former governor of Lagos and national leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), has said.

Speaking at the 1st Anthony Enahoro Memorial Lecture at the Benin Club, Benin City, Edo State, Asiwaju Tinubu, represented by Mrs Funmi Olayinka, deputy governor of Ekiti State, he declared: “Ladies and gentlemen, I submit to you today that because of the multiple issues surrounding our skewed federalism and constitutional flaws, the state of the Nigerian nation is weak. Unless we move to strengthen it through dialogue and equity,” he warned, “we will remain a nation in mere words.”

The former Lagos governor added that fixing the Nigerian national pillar would entail a robust people-driven debate, insisting that any artificial tinkering of the present constitution would fall short.

“The 21-member Presidential Committee on the Review of Outstanding Constitutional Issues (PCROCI) recently set up by President Goodluck Jonathan falls short,” he told the cheering audience. “It is a backdoor approach to the issue of national conference. In memory of Chief Enahoro,” he added, “we must convoke a national conference. It should provide a platform to address our pressing concerns.”

He said it was ironic that Nigeria that was a product of dialogue at independence has leaders that now seem to make the avoidance of robust dialogue state policy. But he stated that free and unfettered dialogue held the key to Nigeria’s rebirth.

“The people ought to be consulted on the issue of subsidy. We ought to have a referendum on the question, not only of oil subsidy but also on sovereign wealth fund as well as the proposed one-term of seven years proposed by President Goodluck Jonathan,” he said.

Returning to what he called addressing “our pressing concerns”, Asiwaju Tinubu said the foremost of those was the federal question, which he explains should be the restructuring of the country along true and vibrant federal lines.

He added that unlike the misconceptions in most quarters, restructuring was more of an economic than a political question, since it stresses the funnelling of resources to where they can best develop the country and deliver prosperity.

Asiwaju Tinubu said federalism as a development paradigm for a multi-national country was no mere labelling, adding that it assures both economic and political fairness.

“Our economic system is supposed to be open and fair. But it is even more slanted and biased than the political system,” he told the audience. “We do not operate a free and fair merit-based economy. We operate a feudal economy, where those in power decide by the whim of the moment who becomes rich and who stays poor.”

Going back memory lane, he recalled how Chief Obafemi Awolowo, as early as 1947, had recommended the federal formula for an independent and prosperous Nigeria. He said though competitive federalism worked in the first six years of independence, he blamed the military for rolling back that developmental formula which, he added, they had replaced with a sterile unitary system, after their command mentality.

He regretted, however, that the military over-centralisation had arrested growth and stunted development.

“This has not only stalled development, it has affected recurrent and capital expenditure. This fuels corruption at the centre and makes the system a mockery of development,” he explained. “It gives a winner-takes-all quality to the presidential election. This is wrong. That is why progressives have been calling for fiscal federalism.”

Asiwaju Tinubu said a Nigeria restructured along federal lines would avoid the pitfall of hitherto solid nations like Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia and former USSR who later broke up because of intra-national dissonance and tension.

The ACN national leader urged a re-think of the presidential system, aligning with the late Enahoro’s view that the parliamentary system of government should be reconsidered.

http://bolatinubu.org/?p=128

[size=14pt]
This man never well finish! [/size] grin

8 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by theoctopus: 11:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
[size=14pt]Jonathan’s objection to Sovereign National Conference is wrong -Tinubu[/size]

18/02/2012 03:25:00

Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, yesterday objected to the claim by President Goodluck Jonathan that a Sovereign National Conference (SNC) is unnecessary because he has set up a committee chaired by Justice Alfa Belgore to work on a new constitution.

He said the convocation of the conference is imperative, adding that sovereignty belongs to the people of Nigeria.

Tinubu stressed: “We want Sovereign National Conference. Nigerians who voted for the President have the right to demand for the convocation of the conference, and not that the President should select some people to make the constitution. Sovereignty belongs to the people.”
Tinubu also said that the unity of the country must not be sacrificed on the altar of religion, warning those fanning the embers of disunity to spare a thought for nation-building.

The former Lagos State governor spoke at Ilesa, Osun State, where he was turbaned as the Agbaakin-Adinni of Ijesaland by the Muslim community.

The impressive ceremony, which was witnessed by statesmen, captains of industry, politicians, top government officials, friends, associates and admirers, held at Okesa Praying Ground in the ancient town.

At exactly 2.10 pm, the turbaning ceremony was performed by the chairman of the occasion and Aaare Musulumi of Yorubaland, Alhaji Arisekola Alao; the Asiwaju Adinni of Yorubaland, Alhaji Badmus Adekilekun and other top clerics from Yorubaland.

Also in attendance were foremost traditional rulers, including the paramount ruler of Ijesaland, Oba Adekunle Aromolaran; the Timi of Ede, Oba Muirudeen Lawal; Olufon of Ifon, Oba Aderemi Adedapo; Oba Magbagbeola Adekunle; the Aragberi of Iragberi, Oba Sunkanmi Olagberuade; the Olobu of Ilobu, Oba Asiru Olatoye; the Elerin of Erin, Oba Yesufu; the Oloigi of Oigi, Oba James Adeleke; the Oru of Ijebu-Oru, Oba Muniru Basorun; Oba Taofik Olaposi; Oba Tajudeen Adetunji and Oba Adesanya Ilesanya.

Tinubu also received the insignia of the title as well as a certificate and staff of office amid a loud ovation by dignitaries. As he moved forward to receive them, shouts of “Jagaban Borgue, Asiwaju of Lagos and Aare of Ile-Oluji” filled the air.

At 1.45 pm, Tinubu, who had landed in Ilesa in a chopper, stormed the venue with pump, accompanied by Osun State Governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola and his wife, Sherifat, Senator Bayo Salami, and Secretary to Osun State Government, Alhaji Moshood Adeoti.
He was decked in a light cream agbada, with a brown cap and shoe to match.

He walked briskly, waving at the crowd as he moved from one spot to the other within the crowded venue to pay homage to traditional rulers, community elders, Muslim clerics and other guests.
After exchanging greetings with many guests on the expansive field, he fell into the warm embrace of Aare Arisekola, who shared the high table with him and other guests.
Welcoming dignitaries to the ceremony, the Chairman of Ijesa Muslim Community, Alhaji Dhikirulahi Sanni, explained that the title was bestowed on Tinubu in recognition of his roles during Aregbesola’s battle to reclaim his stolen mandate from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
He also recalled that Tinubu played a major role in the reconstruction of Ilesa Central Mosque, saying that he sent money to the building committee to make progress on the project.

Dhikitulahi added: “We also appreciate your antecedents and contributions to the emancipation of the down-trodden since your days as NADECO chieftain, senator and governor. You fought to sack the PDP cabals from Ekiti, Osun, Ogun, and Oyo states. Our people have never had it so good since the enthronement of democratic rule.”

He appealed to Tinubu to assist in the implementation of the laudable projects of the community, especially the hospital project recently embarked upon by the faithful.

The Chairman of the Chieftaincy Committee of the association, Isa Azeez, said: “Asiwaju is a warrior for the masses. He fought war and liberated the Yoruba from bondage. I pray for long life and prosperity for you. We want you to assist us in the implementation of our projects here.”
Arisekola Alao, who eulogised the host, enjoined him to always thank God for giving him power, fame and honour, adding that the honour done to him was a honour to all the Muslim faithful in Yorubaland.

He called for religious unity and tolerance among the various sects, stressing that those who blame Islam for the Boko Haram onslaught are mischievous.
The Aare Musulumi urged Muslims, Christians and adherents of traditional religion to continue to live in peace in Yorubaland in the interest of peaceful coexistence in the region.

He traced the genesis of Islam in the Southwest, saying that the roles of Mallam Quadri Akinniyi, Sheidu Oogun, Abe Momodu, Umoru Sarumi, Seriki Owoeye and Orikesinro would not be forgotten. He also praised all those who had contributed to the growth of the religion, praying Allah to bless and reward them appropriately.

He cautioned against using Islamic titles to boost personal ego, stressing that it is a divine call to the service of Allah.
Alao, therefore, advised the Muslim community in Yoruba land to bestow titles on Governors Babatunde Fashola (Lagos State), Abiola Ajimobi (Oyo), Ibikunle Amosun (Ogun) and Rauf Aregbesola (Osun), assuring that they would promote the cause of Islam and welfare of the people.
The Muslim leader applauded the achievements of the ACN governors and admonished them to create more employments for youths, who he described as leaders of tomorrow.

Turning to Tinubu, he advised the new Agbaakin Adinni to dedicate himself to the service of the people.
At the ceremony were the deputy governor of Osun State, Otunba Titilayo Laoye; Senator James Kolawole; Senator Jide Omoworare; Dr. Olu Agunloye; Prof. Ajayi Boroffice; Hon. Bola Akinterinwa; Mrs. Jumoke Anifowose; the Speaker of Lagos State House of Assembly, Yemi Ikuforiji; his Oyo State counterpart, Mrs. Monsurat Sunmonu; Alhaji Tajudeen Bello; Alhaji Lanre Rasak; Alhaji Lateef Raji; Hon. Sola Akinwumi; Segun Famodun; Chief Alami Macfoy; Lowo Adegbuyi; Peter Babalola and Kunle Famoriyo.

Others include Adetilewa Sijuwade; Layi Oyeduntan; Mrs. Modupe Awodogan Sola Iji; Akintunde Adegboye; Dr. Samuel Olulade; Bayo Osinnowo; James Faleke; Jide Kosoko; Segun Adekola; Timothy Owoeye; Toyin Omidiran; Hon. Famurewa; Bola Ilori; Sunday Akere; Dr. Muiz Banire; Israel Adekunle; Hon. Olabinjo; Ipoola Omisore; Toun Adediran; Segun Adetola and Sola Lawal.
Muslim clerics at the ceremony were the Chief Imam of Osogbo, Alhaji Mustapha Ajisafe; his Ilesa counterpart, Alhaji Kareem Elesinnla who delivered the opening prayer and Alhaji Dhikirulahi Sanni,

The host caretaker chairmen, whose banners welcomed the guests to the venue were Isa Azeez (Ilesa East); Lanre Balogun (Ilesa West); Segun Olanibi (Ilesa West); Disu Oyedele (Atakumosa East); Dr. Gbenga Ogunleye (Obokun) and Taiwo Fatiregun (Oriade).
Tinubu, who described the day as a day of thanksgiving, paid tribute to the Owa of Ijesaland, His Prime Minister Obanla Ogedengbe; Alhaji Arisekola Alao; Ijesa leaders and clerics, and well-meaning people in Osun State for the honour bestowed on him.

He also thanked Dr. Banire, who he described as a worthy ACN chieftain and lawyer who played a prominent role in the liberation battle in Osun State, which culminated in the restoration of Aregbesola’s stolen mandate.

Tinubu thanked the members of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) at the ceremony, especially Pastor Enock Familusi, saying that their presence signified religious unity in Ijesaland. He said he would contribute to the successful implementation of the projects embarked upon by the Ijesa Muslim Community for the benefit of the people.

Praising Arisekola Alao for his gestures, he said: “I stand on what Alhaji Arisekola has said. I am a politician. I was born in Islam. But since I became a politician, I kept my religion in my room. As a politician, I accommodate all religions. In Yorubaland, we must make religion to develop our society and employ wisdom to move towards progress.”

The ACN leader said he was also guided by the Bible, from which the party derived the inspiration to make broom its symbol. Quoting Isaiah 14:23 and 24, he said: “The broom of destruction will be used for those that are dishonest.”

Tinubu congratulated the people of Osun State, saying that God has given them a good and responsible government that has started combating unemployment through various intervention programmes.

He hailed the new dawn in the state, which he said had taken off, following the ouster of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from power.

Flaying the PDP leaders, Tinubu said: “PDP consumes resources. In fact, they park all the resources into their pockets to the detriment of the masses. PDP has no mercy. May God deliver Nigeria from them.”

Tinubu spoke on the negative media report about his health, saying that his enemies peddled falsehood.

He said: “They have paralysis of the mind. They do not want anything good for the country. You have done well by sweeping them out of Osun State. We should sweep them out of Nigeria.”

The former governor chided President Jonathan for attempting to divide the country, using the antics of ethnicity and religion.
He said: “The President should stop dividing Christians and Muslims. The country has never been so divided like this. We must promote unity in diversity for economic prosperity and not for economic adversity.

“The nation is divided. It is not good to yield to the agents of destruction. PDP has no programme for the people. They want to divide the country. We must not let them do that. We must reject the idea that one religion is greater than the other. Those exploiting our differences to make money and build a master-servant relationship should stop it. No ethnic or religious group is greater than the other.”

Tinubu maintained that the clammour for a Sovereign National Conference is in order, objecting to the remarks by the President that the agitation is not necessary, following the setting up of the constitution review panel.

Praising Tinubu, Aregbesola said he is a credible leader grooming the younger generation for leadership. He added: Asiwaju does not ask for any favour from those of us he brought to eminent positions. Rather, he keeps telling us to work for the progress of the people, and not for the benefit of ourselves.

“I am happy that the Muslims in Ijesaland have recognised these virtues and that is why they conferred on him the title: Agbaakin Adinni, which means ‘the leader of the valiant’. He is committed to the restoration of the rule of law and good governance in the country. The progress should spread to Ondo, Kogi, Kwara and Benue soon.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/37147-jonathan%E2%80%99s-objection-to-sovereign-national-conference-is-wrong-tinubu.html

[size=14pt]Please advise this man to stop taking that thing![/size] grin

10 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by jmaine: 11:47pm On Oct 05, 2013
^

Lolz . . . . . cheesy
Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by emiye(m): 12:03am On Oct 06, 2013
there is a whole lot of difference between Sovereign National Conference and National Conference.

What Jonathan is proposing for is a National Conference, which when conducted the report can easily be made to gather dust.

What Tinubu is advocating for is a Sovereign National Conference

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by theoctopus: 12:34am On Oct 06, 2013
emiye: there is a whole lot of difference between Sovereign National Conference and National Conference.

What Jonathan is proposing for is a National Conference, which when conducted the report can easily be made to gather dust.

Where in Tinubu's statement yesterday did he say the reason he is opposed to it is because it is not sovereign? If your point was valid, shouldn't he have stated that GEJ did not meet the requirements and he should change it to Sovereign National Conference as he earlier advocated? Do you call for its abortion because it is not sovereign or you call for a correction to meet what you earlier clamored for? You guys are clowns! You are not even helping Tinubu at all! grin

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by nku5: 12:36am On Oct 06, 2013
emiye: there is a whole lot of difference between Sovereign National Conference and National Conference.

This is too funny. Sebi GEJ toned down the idea from sovereign national conference to just national conference because of the controversy and objection from the northern elements. I would advise tinubu lends his voice in support of the sovereign national conference since he has been in support of it all along

1 Like

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by emiye(m): 12:57am On Oct 06, 2013
theoctopus:

Where in Tinubu's statement yesterday did he say the reason he is opposed to it is because it is not sovereign? If your point was valid, shouldn't he have stated that GEJ did not meet the requirements and he should change it to Sovereign National Conference as he earlier advocated? Do you call for its abortion because it is not sovereign or you call for a correction to meet what you earlier clamored for? You guys are clowns! You are not even helping Tinubu at all! grin

GEJ is a coward who will never call for a sovereign national conference, the national conference he has called for in the words of Tinubu is simply diversionary and deceptive

GEJ is trying to buy time and confuse people, Tinubu understand GEJ's script perfectly. i expect Femi okunrounmu to reject this appointment.
[size=15pt]
NATIONAL CONFERENCE[/size] IS NOT [size=15pt]SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by theoctopus: 1:32am On Oct 06, 2013
emiye:

GEJ is a coward who will never call for a sovereign national conference, the national conference he has called for in the words of Tinubu is simply diversionary and deceptive

GEJ is trying to buy time and confuse people, Tinubu understand GEJ's script perfectly. i expect Femi okunrounmu to reject this appointment.
[size=15pt]
NATIONAL CONFERENCE[/size] IS NOT [size=15pt]SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE[/size]

Do you actually believe that increasing the font size has improved your post? cheesy cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by emiye(m): 1:38am On Oct 06, 2013
theoctopus:

Do you actually believe that increasing the font size has improved your post? cheesy cheesy cheesy

It is meant for agents of deception like you to keep shut.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by theoctopus: 1:55am On Oct 06, 2013
emiye:

It is meant for agents of deception like you to keep shut.

To keep shut? Most of you talk like primary school kids! Who are you to tell someone to keep shut? A small ant like you? grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Brimmie(m): 2:14am On Oct 06, 2013
I 'll type in the morning Insha'allah!

**zzzzzzzzzz**
Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by ikweremilitant: 3:13am On Oct 06, 2013
sammy329: Former Governor Tinubu warns against
postponement of 2015 general elections.
Fresh from a medical trip abroad,
a national leader of the opposition All
Progressives Congress , APC, Bola Tinubu,
on Saturday criticized the proposed
national conference, describing it as
“deceptive” and “diversionary.”
Mr Tinubu stated this in Lagos at a press
conference he addressed shortly after
returning to the country Saturday.
President Goodluck Jonathan had, in his
Independence Day broadcast to the
nation last Tuesday, announced the
composition of a committee to hammer
out modalities for a national dialogue.
The committee, headed by a former
Senator and Chieftain of the Yoruba apex
socio-cultural organization, Afenifere,
Femi Okurounmu, will be inaugurated on
Monday by the president at the
Presidential Villa.
It has one month to conclude its
assignment and submit its report.
Mr Tinubu, who arrived from the United
Kingdom where he recuperated after a
knee surgery earlier in the United States,
wondered why the president was
proposing a national dialogue only 15
months to the 2015 general election,
adding that those running the federal
administration were not even smart in
their deception.
”Why is the conference coming at just
about 15 months to the next general
election” he asked. ”When will it hold?
Why so sudden? I see a contradiction and
diversion,” the former Lagos State
governor said while addressing party
supporters, who had come to welcome
him at the Executive Jet Hanger One of
the Murtala Mohammed International
Airport, Ikeja.
”National conference is by whom, for
whom, and at what stage? How many
level of deception? These people (federal
government) are not even smart public
perception deception. I see a
contradiction. I see diversion. I see
deception, lack of honesty and integrity.”
Mr. Tinubu, whose speech was
interrupted by intermittently shouts of
praise by the crowd, said at no time had
Nigeria in its 53 years of independence
been divided as it was now.
The former Lagos State governor alleged
that Mr. Jonathan was proposing the
national dialogue because his party, the
Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, had been
factionalized.
He said, “Nigeria has never been this
divisive in its 53 years of existence, yet
he (President Jonathan) now considers a
national conference because of the
apparent division in his party.
”The timing is wrong. The programme is
diversionary because there is no time for
it now.”
Mr. Tinubu, however, assured that, as a
democrat, he would discuss the issue of
the proposed national dialogue with his
party, adding “whatever the party says, I
shall stand with.”
Postponing election will be insane
Responding to a question on whether the
proposed national conference could be
part of the plot to postpone the general
elections, Mr Tinubu said, doing so would
be insane.
”It will only be postponing the stealing
and looting that some people are enjoying
and we will not accept that,” he said.
”How long before the next elections, just
about 15months and how long will it take
to process the arrangement for such a
thorough conference.
“I think will talk about it (national
conference) when we have a man of
integrity, strong character and goodwill in
charge of this country.”
The APC leader recalled that Mr. Jonathan
had once stated that there was no need
for Sovereign National Conference
because the nation’s sovereignty lies with
the national assembly.
”Democracy and sovereignty belongs to
the people and not the national assembly
and I suspect a distraction” he said,
refering to the president’s sudden change
of mind on the conference.
Mr. Tinubu, who arrived at the airport on
a private jet at about 10.30 a.m, prayed
for God’s forgiveness for those who
circulated speculation about his death,
saying ”they do not know what they are
doing.”
The APC leader demonstrated that he had
recovered fully by jogging and dancing
with his wife, Remi Tinubu, a senator, at
the venue of the conference.
He thanked all those who came to
welcome him, noting that he missed
home a great deal because ”this is the
longest I’ve stayed away from home
since the days of my exile.”
Among those at the reception were
Governors Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State
and Rauf Aregbesola of Osun.
Also present were Minority Leader of the
House of Representatives, Femi
Gbajabiamila and Speaker of the Lagos
State House of Assembly, Adeyemi
Ikuforiji, who arrived in company with Mr
Tinubu from the United Kingdom.
source: premiumtimesng.com/news/146088-tinubu-returns-says-planne-national-conference-deceptive-diversionary.html
Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by ikweremilitant: 3:31am On Oct 06, 2013
sammy329: Former Governor Tinubu warns against
postponement of 2015 general elections.
Fresh from a medical trip abroad,
a national leader of the opposition All
Progressives Congress , APC, Bola Tinubu,
on Saturday criticized the proposed
national conference, describing it as
“deceptive” and “diversionary.”
Mr Tinubu stated this in Lagos at a press
conference he addressed shortly after
returning to the country Saturday.
President Goodluck Jonathan had, in his
Independence Day broadcast to the
nation last Tuesday, announced the
composition of a committee to hammer
out modalities for a national dialogue.
The committee, headed by a former
Senator and Chieftain of the Yoruba apex
socio-cultural organization, Afenifere,
Femi Okurounmu, will be inaugurated on
Monday by the president at the
Presidential Villa.
It has one month to conclude its
assignment and submit its report.
Mr Tinubu, who arrived from the United
Kingdom where he recuperated after a
knee surgery earlier in the United States,
wondered why the president was
proposing a national dialogue only 15
months to the 2015 general election,
adding that those running the federal
administration were not even smart in
their deception.
”Why is the conference coming at just
about 15 months to the next general
election” he asked. ”When will it hold?
Why so sudden? I see a contradiction and
diversion,” the former Lagos State
governor said while addressing party
supporters, who had come to welcome
him at the Executive Jet Hanger One of
the Murtala Mohammed International
Airport, Ikeja.
”National conference is by whom, for
whom, and at what stage? How many
level of deception? These people (federal
government) are not even smart public
perception deception. I see a
contradiction. I see diversion. I see
deception, lack of honesty and integrity.”
Mr. Tinubu, whose speech was
interrupted by intermittently shouts of
praise by the crowd, said at no time had
Nigeria in its 53 years of independence
been divided as it was now.
The former Lagos State governor alleged
that Mr. Jonathan was proposing the
national dialogue because his party, the
Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, had been
factionalized.
He said, “Nigeria has never been this
divisive in its 53 years of existence, yet
he (President Jonathan) now considers a
national conference because of the
apparent division in his party.
”The timing is wrong. The programme is
diversionary because there is no time for
it now.”
Mr. Tinubu, however, assured that, as a
democrat, he would discuss the issue of
the proposed national dialogue with his
party, adding “whatever the party says, I
shall stand with.”
Postponing election will be insane
Responding to a question on whether the
proposed national conference could be
part of the plot to postpone the general
elections, Mr Tinubu said, doing so would
be insane.
”It will only be postponing the stealing
and looting that some people are enjoying
and we will not accept that,” he said.
”How long before the next elections, just
about 15months and how long will it take
to process the arrangement for such a
thorough conference.
“I think will talk about it (national
conference) when we have a man of
integrity, strong character and goodwill in
charge of this country.”
The APC leader recalled that Mr. Jonathan
had once stated that there was no need
for Sovereign National Conference
because the nation’s sovereignty lies with
the national assembly.
”Democracy and sovereignty belongs to
the people and not the national assembly
and I suspect a distraction” he said,
refering to the president’s sudden change
of mind on the conference.
Mr. Tinubu, who arrived at the airport on
a private jet at about 10.30 a.m, prayed
for God’s forgiveness for those who
circulated speculation about his death,
saying ”they do not know what they are
doing.”
The APC leader demonstrated that he had
recovered fully by jogging and dancing
with his wife, Remi Tinubu, a senator, at
the venue of the conference.
He thanked all those who came to
welcome him, noting that he missed
home a great deal because ”this is the
longest I’ve stayed away from home
since the days of my exile.”
Among those at the reception were
Governors Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State
and Rauf Aregbesola of Osun.
Also present were Minority Leader of the
House of Representatives, Femi
Gbajabiamila and Speaker of the Lagos
State House of Assembly, Adeyemi
Ikuforiji, who arrived in company with Mr
Tinubu from the United Kingdom.
source: premiumtimesng.com/news/146088-tinubu-returns-says-planne-national-conference-deceptive-diversionary.html
Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Demdem(m): 3:54am On Oct 06, 2013
Emperor_007: SNC is long over due.

I want it and am sure Tinubu wants it because that has always been its position.
What Jonathan is contemplating is just a national conference and that is a big difference. Jonathan dont want SNC because he has already stated that its not neccessary.
I agree with Tinubu that any national conference will just be a watse of time and resources.
Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Demdem(m): 3:56am On Oct 06, 2013
atlwireles: Any attempt by Tinubu to talk down the SNC/NC will only isolate him in Yorubaland. There's no two ways about this fact. 2015 elections is not an issue. What Nigeria, we are trying to have elections in, is the issue.

Why combining both together? there is a huge difference between the two. SNC is desirous, Jonathan want so such thing. NC that he wants and advocating for is a waste of time and i expect reasonable Nigerians to reject it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

DPR Issues 21 Licences For New Refineries- The National Mirror / [photos] Ibadan Is More Developed Than Any Igbo State / Abidemi Rufai: US Submits 97,000-Page Evidence Against Gov Abiodun's Aide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.