Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,676 members, 7,837,502 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) (5495 Views)

Why Are Atheists All Over The World So Slow And Irrational / Atheism Is Irrational. / 3 Reasons Why Theism Is Irrational Compared To Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by ooman(m): 8:27am On Oct 10, 2013
NativeBoy:

If Christ didn't rise, then it is all I'm vain but he did rise again. I go to him because my righteousness is like a filthy rag before God but God attributes the righteousness of Christ to me. So while I am not perfect (as a result of being in flesh) I try to reflect the way of Christ so as to be a good epistle. Nevertheless, however I might fall short, because of Christ I am justified before God.

To get clarification, do you think it is the average believing Nigerian that is corrupt or our system of government that begins with our "leaders"?

All you quoted is just paul's illusion.

The bible tells you thart your righteousness is like filthy rag, then it gives you a christ for you to believe as a saviour, don't you think someone is playing some mind game on you? You been brainwashed.

I think its the average believing nigerian that fill up the government and not some aliens, so that comment is just a failed excuse.
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by InesQor(m): 8:44am On Oct 10, 2013
@Logicboy03

Sadly even human law isn't always cut out to be so straightforward. Innocent people have died or gone to jail for the actually guilty. Guilty people have gone scot-free. And in some cases someone offered to take the fall for someone else e.g. In return for financial benefits to the family he/she left behind.

My point is that it's not everytime one commits a crime that they're the ones who take the rap.
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by ooman(m): 8:46am On Oct 10, 2013
InesQor: @Logicboy03

Sadly even human law isn't always cut out to be so straightforward. Innocent people have died or gone to jail for the actually guilty. Guilty people have gone scot-free. And in some cases someone offered to take the fall for someone else e.g. In return for financial benefits to the family he/she left behind.

My point is that it's not everytime one commits a crime that they're the ones who take the rap.

are we now comparing human with the great god?
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by InesQor(m): 9:01am On Oct 10, 2013
@ooman

So you believe the great God exists?

I talk to various people in different ways. When I talk to atheists I try to draw comparisons from a domain or context that they are familiar with, and accept. No use arguing using examples outside a domain or context that they fundamentally accept. That's a Babel (pun intended).

Well I said that cos Logicboy03 called NativeBoy a psychopath for saying someone else was to shoulder someone's crimes. I was pointing out that it's not as far-fetched an idea as he makes it sound.
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by ooman(m): 9:56am On Oct 10, 2013
InesQor: @ooman

So you believe the great God exists?

I talk to various people in different ways. When I talk to atheists I try to draw comparisons from a domain or context that they are familiar with, and accept. No use arguing using examples outside a domain or context that they fundamentally accept. That's a Babel (pun intended).

Well I said that cos Logicboy03 called NativeBoy a psychopath for saying someone else was to shoulder someone's crimes. I was pointing out that it's not as far-fetched an idea as he makes it sound.

that was supposed to be sarcastic, there can be no such thing as a god. its too complex to just exist.
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by Image123(m): 10:41am On Oct 10, 2013
i see InesQor and co have done a nice job here. i see logicb is still trying to convince himself that there is no God. Make i go relax jore.
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by InesQor(m): 10:59am On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:
that was supposed to be sarcastic, there can be no such thing as a god. its too complex to just exist.

- Fallacy of appeal to ignorance
- Fallacy of argument from personal incredulity.

@Image123
Lol I see you and Enigma have been seriously duking it out on the Tithes thread. You guys get mind.
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by ooman(m): 11:04am On Oct 10, 2013
InesQor:

- Fallacy of appeal to ignorance
- Fallacy of argument from personal incredulity.

if only you care to enlighten me..
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by InesQor(m): 11:10am On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

if only you care to enlighten me..

What you did there is not admissible in a logical argument:
"There can be no such thing as X" is the fallacy of appeal to ignorance.
"X is too complex to exist" is the fallacy of argument from personal incredulity.

Those are two standard logical fallacies, shey you'll google them?
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by ooman(m): 11:16am On Oct 10, 2013
InesQor:

What you did there is not admissible in a logical argument:
"There can be no such thing as X" is the fallacy of appeal to ignorance.
"X is too complex to exist" is the fallacy of argument from personal incredulity.

Those are two standard logical fallacies, shey you'll google them?

ok.

what you need to do in a logical argument is to tell us how such thing as X can exist, rather than just make claims without basis
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by InesQor(m): 11:27am On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

ok.

what you need to do in a logical argument is to tell us how such thing as X can exist, rather than just make claims without basis

@ooman

Nope. What you need to do in a logical argument is that when you make a claim like 'there is no such thing as X" and/or "X is too complex to exist", you NEED to follow up with logical reasons why X cannot exist and why it is too complex to exist.

The burden of proof is on you in this case because you are the one making the claim. If you just drop those statements then you have committed logical fallacies.
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by ooman(m): 11:30am On Oct 10, 2013
InesQor:

@ooman

Nope. What you need to do in a logical argument is that when you make a claim like 'there is no such thing as X" and/or "X is too complex to exist", you NEED to follow up with logical reasons why X cannot exist and why it is too complex to exist.

The burden of proof is on you in this case because you are the one making the claim. If you just drop those statements then you have committed logical fallacies.

oh, i think i did that already, i remember saying god is too complex to just pop into existence from nothing and make everything from nothing multiple times here.....

here it is again

ooman:

Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by Image123(m): 11:45am On Oct 10, 2013
InesQor:

@Image123
Lol I see you and Enigma have been seriously duking it out on the Tithes thread. You guys get mind.
na here mind dey oh. Well done.
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by InesQor(m): 11:46am On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

oh, i think i did that already, i remember saying god is too complex to just pop into existence from nothing and make everything from nothing multiple times here.....

here it is again

The logic is inadmissible still, it's a fallacy that reeks of ignorance.

What does it mean for something to be too complex to exist? Once upon a time the internal combustion engine was too complex to exist. Later on airplanes were also too complex to exist.
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by macof(m): 1:49pm On Oct 10, 2013
NativeBoy:

That is a non-sequitur. God doesn't belong to one race of man. He is the God of all. Was a Abraham Jewish?
technically, he was.
Abraham is the progenitor of the Jews, that makes him Jewish.
take Oduduwa for example. He is regarded as father of the yorubas that makes him yoruba
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
InesQor:

What does it mean for something to be too complex to exist? Once upon a time the internal combustion engine was too complex to exist. Later on airplanes were also too complex to exist.

too complex to exist without being formed or created
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by macof(m): 1:59pm On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

the complexity depends on the story u dwelling on
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by ooman(m): 2:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
InesQor:

Exactly, except you are proposing a creator of your god, then he just can't exist by himself...
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by ooman(m): 2:05pm On Oct 10, 2013
macof: the complexity depends on the story u dwelling on

Tell me your story, perhaps I ll make sense of it...
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by macof(m): 2:22pm On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

Tell me your story, perhaps I ll make sense of it...
I believe you can read some of it here. https://www.nairaland.com/1463158/aborisa-yoruba-religion
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by ooman(m): 2:28pm On Oct 10, 2013
macof: I believe you can read some of it here. https://www.nairaland.com/1463158/aborisa-yoruba-religion

believe me, i have been there, commented there, but in there, you only explained your religion, you offered no proof as to why it is true, or why energy has consciousness...

note that this conscious energy has also been called yahweh by a xtian, so how do you really prove which god this conscious energy is?
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by macof(m): 2:54pm On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

believe me, i have been there, commented there, but in there, you only explained your religion, you offered no proof as to why it is true, or why energy has consciousness...

note that this conscious energy has also been called yahweh by a xtian, so how do you really prove which god this conscious energy is?
ok I offered no prove as to why its true but all I can say is that THE EXISTENCE OF THE OMINVERSE IS PROVE enough to establish the existence of a creator Energy
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by ooman(m): 2:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
macof: ok I offered no prove as to why its true but all I can say is that THE EXISTENCE OF THE OMINVERSE IS PROVE enough to establish the existence of a creator Energy

what do you mean by omniverse?

i believe in energy, i just cant believe it is conscious...
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by macof(m): 3:47pm On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

what do you mean by omniverse?

i believe in energy, i just cant believe it is conscious...
Ominiverse the totality of everything in existence, including all Alternate universes.
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by NativeBoy: 4:20pm On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

All you quoted is just paul's illusion.

The bible tells you thart your righteousness is like filthy rag, then it gives you a christ for you to believe as a saviour, don't you think someone is playing some mind game on you? You been brainwashed.

I think its the average believing nigerian that fill up the government and not some aliens, so that comment is just a failed excuse.

Who would the someone be? And what is their endgame after so thoroughly brainwashing me?

On the other point I disagree that the average believing Nigerian is corrupt. They, like everyone else, live within a system that insists upon corruption as the way to get things done.
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by Ibnwanzam: 4:40pm On Oct 10, 2013
Christians want us to believe that Jesus, died the death of a false prophet, that is unacceptable. I love God and his prophets too much to believe in such non-sense.

Some reasons to believe that Jesus did not die on the cross

28. Jesus’ prediction about his sign to be very similar to the sign of Jonah

Jesus predicted his sign would be similar to the sign of Jonas.

An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall be no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s bally; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Matt 12:39-40)

This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet. For as Jonas was a sign unto the Nin-e-vites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation…for they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here. (Luke 11:29-32)

Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the bally of the fish three days and three nights. (Jonah 1:17)

And Lord spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land. (Jonah 2:10)

And the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the second time, saying, Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it preaching that I bid thee. And Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh. (Jonah 3:1-3)

Jonas entered into the belly of whale alive- Jesus died on the cross and entered in the heart of the earth dead.
Jonas remained alive in the bally of whale. – Jesus Remained dead.
Jonas came out alive bodily. – Jesus came out in spirit.
Jonas stayed three days and three nights in the bally of whale. – Jesus one day and two nights.
Jonas went back to his people. – Jesus went back to heaven. Without fulfilling the promise which he made earlier, “I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. (Matt 15:24)

Jesus should have gone to the lost tribe of Israel, as Jonas went to his people “Nin-e-vites”, not to heaven.

29. Appearance of an Angel, saying, why, you looking for a living person into the dead.

And it come to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments: And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seeketh ye the living among the dead. (Luke 24:4-5)

And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive. (Luke 24:23)

30. The stone of tomb was removed

It was a physical body not a spiritual one:

And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulcher. (Luke 24: 2)

31. Jesus’ prayers against his death on the cross

Jesus prayed again and over again, saying, O God, take this cup away from him. Why he prayed against the purpose of his advent?

“And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me….” (Mark 14:36)

If his escape from the death on the cross was not possible then why Jesus was praying for it? Didn’t he know?

32. Jesus awakening his disciples, requesting for special prayers for his safety

“…saith to his disciples, sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder…. And began to be sorrowful and very heavy… And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and said unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray…” (Matt 26: 36-41)

33. Jesus’ in flesh and bones after he had risen

Jesus showing his hands and feet to his disciples, proving and arguing them, that he was alive bodily.

“They were terrified and affrighted and supposed that they had seen a spirit. And he said unto them, why are ye troubled? And why do thoughts are in your hearts? Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see for a spirit hath no flesh and bones, as you see me have…. he shewed them his hands and his feet.” (Luke 24:37-40)

34. Why Jesus needed the body (Flesh) again?

35. Jesus’ wounds- a great sign of his survival

Jesus through showing his wounds to his disciples was proving that he was alive bodily.

“The other disciples therefore said unto him, we have seen the Lord. But he (Thomas) said unto them, except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of his nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe… Then he said to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: be not faithless, but believing.” (John 20: 25-27)

A Spirit can’t have the wounds. It means he was alive bodily.

Why Jesus addressed Thomas “not to be faithless but believing? Jesus advised Thomas to have faith, but in which and what? Yes! Faith in the fulfillment of the promise of God saving Jesus from the accursed death on the cross which Jews had designed for him.

Why Jesus had a physical body after he had risen from the dead? Why this physical body still had the signs of wounds? Now there should have been nothing but his soul and spirit? Did he want to take these wounds along with him to the heavens to show them to God? If that is the case, then, we know very well, that these wounds alone did not kill him, but many other things including the cross. If he needed the proofs of his service to be presented to God, then he should have taken all his wounds including, the signs of flogging, beating, hitting, kicking, spitting and the cross (piece of wood) on which he was crucified.

36. Jesus prayers and God’s response: (Hebrews 5:7)

37. Hungry Jesus, asking for food

He ate fish and a honeycomb.

38. Jesus’ shroud: -“Shroud of Turin” a sign that Jesus was alive.

“And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth.” Matt 27:59)

39. Using 100 pounds of aloes, myrrh and some other spices on Jesus’ body, as the manner of Jews. Whether Jews use 100 pound of myrrh, aloes and some other spices at their burial? Or there were some special arrangements were made for Jesus’ safety. Nicodemus, who was a physician and a disciple of Jesus, made this special arrangement before the crucifixion of Jesus.

“And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight. Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to burry. (John 19:39-40)

40. Jesus said “I am going to “Galilee” before the disciples.”

41. An error made by the Jews: – “….the last error shall be worse than the first.” (Matt 27:64)

Jews accepted that they had made an error. What kind of error had they made? Now they were afraid not to make another error. Did they make another error? Yes! They did.

42. Why Jews bribed the soldiers?

Jews bribed large money) the soldiers who had been assigned to guard the sepulcher.
“And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken council, they gave large money unto the soldiers.”(Matt 28:12)

They bribed the soldiers to hide the fact. What was that?

43. Empty tomb of Jesus (the sepulcher), is a great Mystery. Jesus body was not found in the sepulcher.

44. Jews were afraid of a conspiracy: -

Jews were sure, even ahead of time that his disciples will definitely announce, “Jesus had been ascended to heaven” as it is mentioned,

“…Pharisees came together unto Pilate, saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, after three days I will rise again. Command therefore that the sepulcher be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal his him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead:”(Matt 27: 63-64)

45. Jesus’ crucifixion- a test of Jews

The crucifixion was made criteria for Jesus’ truth. The Jews at the time of crucifixion said: - “…save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.” (Matt 27:40)

“Let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.”(Matt 27:42)

“He saved others; himself he cannot save.”(Matt 27:42)

46. Could Jesus save his life? If he could then it is a suicide.

47. Pilate’s complete favor for Jesus; _Pilate; the Governor tried his best to save Jesus’ life, because of his wife’s dream.

48. Jesus never demanded “Crucify me”, but the Jews demanded from the Pilate, “Crucify him- crucify him”

“Then all say unto him, Let him be crucified.” (Matt 27:22)

49. Jesus defended his case in the court, argued with the Jews, and refuted their accusations. Jesus never said “Hurry up crucify me, for I have come, just for this purpose, although I am already late for 4000 years.

50. Jesus never went to the cross happily, but in miserable situation.

51. Who compelled Jesus to be crucified and why?

52. Jesus said: – “For salvation is of the Jews.” (John 4:22) What it means? And why only for the Jews?

53. Crucifixion- a killing in the eyes of Jesus.

“Why go ye about to kill me? (John 7:19)
“But you seek to kill me.” (John 8:40)
“For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.” (Mark 9:31)

54. Jesus complained to God, why have you forsaken me? It means, God for his safety made a promised.

“And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, Lama sabachthani? That is to say, My God, My God, why have hast thou forsaken me? (Matt 27:46)

55. In Jewish law, the “Crucifixion” was an accursed death”-

“…for he that is hanged is accursed of God” (Deut 21: 23)

“Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for ud: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree.” (Galatians 3: 13)

56. Why the disciples of Jesus, when they met him in Galilee, still had some doubts? “…Some doubted” (Matt 28:17)

What kind of doubts and what about?

Did they have doubts about Jesus being alive and saved from the accursed death of cross or some thing else?

57. Jesus said, “Even so every good tree bringth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringth forth evil fruit.” (Matt 7:17)

How come that this heinous crime of persecuting him mercilessly brought such a good result?

58. Making his arrest is a greater sin

“Jesus answered (to Pilate); He that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.” (John 19:11)

How a greater sin can bring salvation to the world. Sin means, being disobedient to God, breaking His laws and commandments.

“…the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. (Matt 26:45)

59. Jesus accursed Judas for his betrays.

Jesus said: – “…but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! It had been good for that man if he had not been born.” (Matt 26:24)

It was Judas who made the salvation possible. If he had not born, there would not have any salvation for us.

Jesus said, “It had been good … if he had not been born”.

Why it did not happen like that?

60. Who can kill God? God is Holy. Nobody can kill God. God is eternal and immortal, free from the suffering of death. He is always alive. He is out of the approach of human beings hands. Sinners’ hand cannot reach Him or harm Him.

61. Why Jesus (if he was a God) let the Jews and Romans disgrace Him and do all kind of insulting and persecution? What “The Most High” means and “God is Great.” God is not supposed to be humble and show humility.

62. Jesus never mentioned that the purpose of his coming was to give his life on the cross.

63. Salvation through keeping the commandments of God:

Jesus never mentioned that people’s salvation is in believing Jesus’ death on the cross. Rather he promised that the heaven’s eternal life is in following and obeying the commandments of God. As it is in the Book of Matthew 19:16-17

“And behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. (Matt 19:16-17)

64. If salvation through crucifixion, then the credit goes to Jews, Romans & Judas

They are the Jews who demanded from the Roman Governor Pilate to put him on the cross. And Judas betrayed Jesus and made his arrest possible; otherwise Jesus was hiding in the garden of Gethsemane. Chief Priests paid thirty pieces of silver to Judas for informing the authorities for his arrest.

65. A soldier saw Jesus walking, informs the chief priest

“The watch” who saw (Jesus and his disciples meeting and going) all these things, told the Chief Priest in the city.

“Now when they were going (Jesus and his disciples), behold, some of the watch came into the city, and shewed unto the chief priests all the things that were done.” (Matt 28: 11)
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by Ibnwanzam: 5:00pm On Oct 10, 2013
How did Noah, Moses, Solomon or David receive salvation since they did not have the opportunity to belief in Jesus?

Why can’t God forgive sins as a sin a violation of His commandments? He can easily forgive the sins of His servants without sending His “son” to suffer for mankind.

Can a human father imagine sending his son to suffer for others? It sounds cruel. Why then attribute this cruelty to God who is the God of love and forgiveness!
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by ooman(m): 6:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
NativeBoy:

Who would the someone be? And what is their endgame after so thoroughly brainwashing me?

On the other point I disagree that the average believing Nigerian is corrupt. They, like everyone else, live within a system that insists upon corruption as the way to get things done.

i only made a point that our government is filled with corrupt people, and these are all god worshipers, so god has no influence on them, he is therefore useless to the human community...
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by NativeBoy: 8:05pm On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

i only made a point that our government is filled with corrupt people, and these are all god worshipers, so god has no influence on them, he is therefore useless to the human community...

Is your point that because some people don't live up to a standard, the standard is useless?
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by Image123(m): 1:18am On Oct 16, 2013
Logicboy03: 1)We are told in that Mary got pregnant with Jesus without intercourse or an earthly father. Where does the other half of his chromosomes come from?
It's called a miracle. A lack of exposure and belief in miracles will leave the reader continuously confused and exasperated no matter the logic used to explain a miracle.
See this for instance, the other half of His chromosomes come from God.

2)We are told that God sent his only begotten son to die for our sins. Is there a problem with forgiving sins without the death of somebody?
Yes there is. The wages/consequence of sin is death. Jesus came to die, so that we do not have to die again. Hahahaha, that raises about 50 different questions doesn't it?
Okay, well, in the God world, there are consequences for actions. Man was created in God's image. If he sins, he dies. Like if you tear your flesh, blood comes out. Don't ask me silly questions like why does blood come out. Hohohohoho.

3)We are told that Yahweh is the God of Isreal. Why would a good God choose one set of people over another? Is there a problem speaking to other people around the world at the same time? Why must all his prophets be Jews?
All His prophets are not jews. Abraham was the first jew, and God had been speaking to people before Abraham. He spoke to Adam, spoke to Cain etc. Those are two people on record that He spoke to and would not operate in faith. Faith is dependence on God. God made man to depend on Him, unfortunately, man wants to be independent of God. God spared Noah, a non jew, and established a covenant with him. Who can tell how many people God spoke to but they refused to obey and walk in faith before Abraham? Abraham chose to walk by faith. He walked and passed the tests so much that God made a covenant with him, to bless the whole world through him. He made covenants with others after him too.
Gen 12:1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will show thee:
Gen 12:2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
Gen 12:3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
The bold shows that God had the whole world in mind from the start, not just Abraham and his descendants. Its like today, God is speaking through the Bible. Image123 is listening, logicb is not. In 100years, logicb's shildrens will then be asking silly question about how God loves Image123 more than logicb. shocked shocked shocked

4)We are told that we come from two human beings- Adam and Eve. However, science/history proves this impossible because Jews/Hebrews were far from being the first humans on earth and also, the world could not be possibly populated by 2 human beings into 7 billion given the particular space of time and incest.
Jews and Hebrews are not the first humans on earth, even the Bible makes no such claims. On two becoming 7billion, there was no family planning just 50 years ago. It was not rare and is still heard in some quarters of a man having 20 children, 50 children etc. Even without the God influence, this is very realistic.

5)We are told that Jesus was a peaceful man. However, Jesus scattered the merchandise of traders in the church/synagogue and chased them with whips. Such an action in any civilized country is jail time for destruction of private property and assault.
Homosexuality is legally punishable by death in some parts of the world. It is a crime for women to drive in some parts of the world. Where there is no law, there is no sin. That is BTW. Jesus'actions were legal and the jews knew it. They had turned the temple into a business centre, they were the wrong ones. Its like turning the road to selling points and hawking area. You and your goods are liable to being confiscated, gerrit?
Jer 7:11 Is this house, which is called by my name, become a den of robbers in your eyes? Behold, even I have seen it, saith the LORD.

6)Paul in the bible remains one of the greatest examples for sexism. Yet, we are to believe that the bible is the word of a divine and merciful God.
(http://members.shaw.ca/tfrisen/Bbl/Sexism/Sexism.html)
Everybody has their role to play in the kingdom. A man cannot be a queen and a woman cannot be a king. That is basic order. This has nothing to do with being merciful. Every employer has a criteria. It can be age, like you may not employ a 90yr old or a 6yr old for a particular job. It might be educational qualification, it might be height or physical disability like in paramilitary and co. God also has requirements for different positions. What you need is a paradigm shift.

7)Did Jesus really sacrifice himself? Did he really do anything for us? If I know that I am going to a place called heaven which is an everlasting paradise, why wouldnt I go and get myself crucified? I am only accepting the crucifixion for a reward- this is no sacrifice.
To sacrifice is to give up something valued. So yes, Jesus sacrificed Himself. He became a man for more than 30years. he was made lower than the angels whom He was supposedly head of for eternity(many many years). He gave up His glory. Can you give up your position as president to go become an animal for a couple of weeks? He did it because there was no one else. All man was corrupt by default, there needed to be an uncorrupt man to offer an acceptable sacrifice.

coolAll christian historians and scholars will agree that the bible is incomplete. Yet, we are still using the bible as divine inspiration. What if further explanations, abrogations and commandments are in those missing books of the bible? Even the translation of the bible from the original languages is not complete...some words cant be accurately translated......
The Bible is complete. It contains everything that is needed for salvation and pleasing God.
Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

9) How could Adam and Eve have grandchildren without inbreeding occurring with their children?
Inbreeding occurred.

10)The most irrational thing that I find is that the God as described in the bible suspiciously has all the characteristics of a Jewish man in the early centuries.
-He chooses his Jewish people over others (Jewish prophets, God of isreal)
-Sexist laws (http://members.shaw.ca/tfrisen/Bbl/Sexism/Sexism.html)
-believes in sacrifice (eg Cain and abel's sacrifice, Jesus sacrifice on the cross)
-mostly supports the Jews in wars
-never mentions any ancient lands/people that jews have never been to (eg hanan, aztecs, etc)
-never mentions any technology that the jews never had access to
-never once suggested that slavery is one of the most evil things a man can do to another
-believed in the death penalty as ascribed by many Jewish laws.

How is that irrational. Is like saying you find it irrational for a child to have the characteristics of the father. Though what you have listed is twisted, but that is basically what you are saying.
Re: Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) by Nobody: 3:28am On Oct 16, 2013
Ibnwanzam: Christians want us to believe that Jesus, died the death of a false prophet, that is unacceptable. I love God and his prophets too much to believe in such non-sense.

Well since Jesus Christ is GOD and not one of Allah's "prophets" why does the above bother you? Just carry on knocking your head for mohammad.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Fail-safe Way For You To Receive The Holy Spirit. / Do All Full Time Pastors In Redeem Christian Church Of God Earn Monthly Salary? / Christianity And Drinking Of Wine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.