Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,287 members, 7,811,862 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? (36481 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / Is There Anything Like Sinful Haircut? / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Syncan(m): 11:17am On Nov 05, 2013
Serry2kz: My people, let us lead this guy that open this thread to Christ before his soul got wasted.
Guy, if u knw what is good for you now is to say after me,
Lord Jesus, l accept you as my personal Lord and Saviour, l'm sorry for all my sins, have mecry on me, remove my name from destruction and rewrite my name in the book of life, so tht l will be save in you forever and ever, Thank you Lord for saving me. Hallelluyah.

After this, please go back to your bible and read it very well for you to understand that their is no pagatory any where.

Peace.

If you could be wrong at something as clear as the OP of this thread, and her stand ? Then why am I surprised if you are wrong with scriptures.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 11:19am On Nov 05, 2013
Serry2kz:

U ARE A CONFUSIONIST, U NEED MERCY OF GOD TO SAVE YOUR SOUL.

What do you want me to do.

I present just two verses and ask them questions on it, they cant answer.

They keep asking me for scripture.

Now I present 50 verses.

You cant explain 2...and you cant handle 50.

What do you want from me?

How can we please this evil generation?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by woky: 11:20am On Nov 05, 2013
skydeexie: Italo, you are tired man, go and take some rest for now!

Why on earth will God send His Son to come and die for our sins, only to have these same sins being forgiven half way or not fully at all.

Stop twisting the scriptures and the simple Gospel of Salvation and thereby misleading many to hell.

What is the point of Christ death on the Cross?

Rom. 6:23 (KJV) "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"

Let me also quote from the same book of 1st John in the Bible that you have been using as your support:

1 John 3:1-10 (KJV)

"1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. (Your purgatory doctrine flies out of the window here)

4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother."

(Emphasis in red mine.)

Let the Bible speak for itself and not replace it with the doctrine of demons and traditions of men in 'holy' garbs.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by arthgideon: 11:20am On Nov 05, 2013
There is only one way for someone to find out if there is such a place like purgatory. This when the person dies.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by ajayikayod: 11:20am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:
I have never heard of "suffering loss" in heaven. Can you prove this?

So we know that 1 Cor 3:15 isnt talking about hell.

But how can it be heaven when it mentions people suffering losses and being saved "as through fire?"

In Matt 12:32, Jesus clearly implies that there are sins that will be forgiven in the world to come. Read it. You and him dont seem to be on the same page.

Good morning and God bless you too.

In interpreting d scriptures, its always important to read thru d chapther to hav a clear understanding of wat is written, if not we will import our own thought into it.

Firstly, evry believer cant contend d fact dt the word "purgatory" doesnt occur as a word in d scriptures. definately we cant conclude from d non existence of such event in d bible just becos d word doesnt exist. But its a good place to start.

Going by d scriptures u pointed (1Cor 3:15), I will love if we can analyse d tot & stand of d writer by looking at d whole chapter together then we can reach a conclusion.

Lets analyse verse 5 - 9 first then we can move from thr.

5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one?
6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.
7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.

I really want to believe u kno dt ds refered to d labor of Paul and Apollos in ministries i.e. preaching & teaching. (Paul said i planted, Apollos watered). Ds showed shared responsibilities not individual righteous actions but service in ministries.

8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building.

Verse 8 showed dt thr is a reward for individual (his own labor). Wat labor? D planting/watering not personal sin or actions but service in ministries (vs 5: "but ministers through whom you believed"wink. Verse 9: fellow workers.

CONCLUSION ON VERSE 5-9

1. Paul/ Apollos labor is related to thr sins but service & ministering for God to give increase
2. Ds labor will be rewards according to d service (planting/watering God's building whic ar d ppl).

Let me allow u to express ur side on d scriptures above then we can move to d next verses.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by woky: 11:21am On Nov 05, 2013
skydeexie: Italo, you are tired man, go and take some rest for now!

Why on earth will God send His Son to come and die for our sins, only to have these same sins being forgiven half way or not fully at all.

Stop twisting the scriptures and the simple Gospel of Salvation and thereby misleading many to hell.

What is the point of Christ death on the Cross?

Rom. 6:23 (KJV) "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"

Let me also quote from the same book of 1st John in the Bible that you have been using as your support:

1 John 3:1-10 (KJV)

"1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. (Your purgatory doctrine flies out of the window here)

4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother."

(Emphasis in red mine.)

Let the Bible speak for itself and not replace it with the doctrine of demons and traditions of men in 'holy' garbs.
are u trying to say that what paul wrote of his friend Onesiphorous in 2timothy 1:18 is nonsense..??
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mediachirps(m): 11:22am On Nov 05, 2013
No sentiments with the word of God.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 11:26am On Nov 05, 2013
Italo.listen to this

(Hebrews 9:27 NIV) Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,
As this passage shows once you die it is all over and you will face judgment, there are no second chances or purgatory. Plus the Bible tells us that Jesus paid the whole price for our salvation, so there is no reason for us to suffer in purgatory if we believe in Him. Now let me show you a story that Jesus told:
(Luke 16:19-31 NIV) [19] "There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. [20] At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores [21] and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
[22] "The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. [23] In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. [24] So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'
[25] "But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. [26] And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'
[27] "He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, [28] for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
[29] "Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'
[30] "'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'
[31] "He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.'"
Notice that both the rich man and Lazarus were awake and neither were in purgatory. The rich man was in hell and Lazarus was in Paradise. Now look at this:
(Luke 23:42-43 NIV) [42] Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
[43] Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."
Jesus told the thief that he would be with Him in Paradise that day. Now remember the story Jesus told and you will see where the thief was going to be.
But why were they in Paradise and not in heaven? Well it was because Jesus had not died yet.
Before Jesus died only the High Priest could enter into God's presence and he could only do it once a year. The Holy of Holies was separated from the rest of the Temple by a large heavy curtain. But something special happened when Christ died for us:
(Matthew 27:50-51 NIV) [50] And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
[51] At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split.
That opened God's presence to all of us. That is what reconciled us to Him, through the blood of Jesus Christ. Without reconciliation we would not be able to come into God's presence. That is why the Old Testament Saints could not go to heaven, they were separated from God because of their sins which still needed to be paid for. But look at this:
(Ephesians 4:8 NIV) This is why it says: "When he ascended on high, he led captives in his train and gave gifts to men."
Those captives were the people from Paradise that He took to heaven. Now when we die if we are believers we go straight to heaven because we have been reconciled through Jesus' death.
That is where the passage you mentioned comes in:
(2 Corinthians 5:8 NIV) We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Sike(m): 11:27am On Nov 05, 2013
Yo, Define Purgatory?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by stankezzy: 11:31am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

Between the doctrine of purgatory (Catholicism), and the doctrine of "Once saved always saved,"(Protestantism) which one encourages sin more?

Be honest.

We say if a believer sins unto death, he is headed for hell; they say a believer is destined for heaven even though he kills a whole continent.
Jesus-a jew,country-isreal.peter -a jew ,country -isreal but also a roman citizen.the two religions/denominations in the bibble are-old testerment-Judaism,new testerment-penticostal.appostle peter dt was handed over the mandate,was he nt among d believer dt waitedat d upper room for in filling of d Holy Ghost,does he nt speak in tongues ?appostle paul dt wrote 2/3 of d books of d bibble once said he knows dt he do two tins more dan all d believer alive den.1-he labours more dan they all,2-in correntians he said he speaks in tongues more dan they all.CATHOLISIM ND ANGLICANISM ARE political religions formed by romans nd england/britain.incoporating a lot of tins that was nt originally there.catholics will say peter was handed over d mandate YES,but was peter a catholic NO he was speaking in tongues nd teaching about born again as Jesus thought them.DID HE tell d romans to form a religion/denomination that is diffrent from his own when he will be dead-NO.if u allow ur self to be decieved by d romans or britons know it dt u can only be judged based on facts from d bibble ,nd d type of escusses adam nd eve gave to God-that they were decieved did nt spare dem from due punishment.WE WILL ALL ONE DAY STAND BEFORE GOD TO BE JUDGED BY THE LAW HE GAVE US.KNOW ESCUSE DAT WE WERE DECIEVED.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by nnagozie(m): 11:34am On Nov 05, 2013
mavister: bro and as u preach..it sure would have an effect on u and everyone who believes you. Why do i say so? I say so cus Gods standard is very high (for our God is a consuming fire) and i put it to u that God is merciful but just.. So by preaching such. U are giving people the idea that they can go scot free even if by chance.they happen to commit ''small sins'....not funny
What about preaching forgiveness of sin? Aren't you encouraging people to go on sinning until the last day on earth(probably people that grow old)and then they will ask for forgiveness from God and make heaven?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by skydeexie(m): 11:35am On Nov 05, 2013
woky: so what paul wrote of his friend Onesiphoraus in 2timothy 1:18 is nonsense..

I don't get the point. Can you be more explicit please. We are talking about the existence or not of purgatory.

What connection with Paul's prayer for mercy and goodwill for a dear Christian brother who ministered to him in times of distresses?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by HolyHolla(m): 11:39am On Nov 05, 2013
mavister: Italo.listen to this

(Hebrews 9:27 NIV) Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,
As this passage shows once you die it is all over and you will face judgment, there are no second chances or purgatory. Plus the Bible tells us that Jesus paid the whole price for our salvation, so there is no reason for us to suffer in purgatory if we believe in Him. Now let me show you a story that Jesus told:
(Luke 16:19-31 NIV) [19] "There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. [20] At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores [21] and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
[22] "The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. [23] In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. [24] So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'
[25] "But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. [26] And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'
[27] "He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, [28] for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
[29] "Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'
[30] "'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'
[31] "He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.'"
Notice that both the rich man and Lazarus were awake and neither were in purgatory. The rich man was in hell and Lazarus was in Paradise. Now look at this:
(Luke 23:42-43 NIV) [42] Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
[43] Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."
Jesus told the thief that he would be with Him in Paradise that day. Now remember the story Jesus told and you will see where the thief was going to be.
But why were they in Paradise and not in heaven? Well it was because Jesus had not died yet.
Before Jesus died only the High Priest could enter into God's presence and he could only do it once a year. The Holy of Holies was separated from the rest of the Temple by a large heavy curtain. But something special happened when Christ died for us:
(Matthew 27:50-51 NIV) [50] And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
[51] At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split.
That opened God's presence to all of us. That is what reconciled us to Him, through the blood of Jesus Christ. Without reconciliation we would not be able to come into God's presence. That is why the Old Testament Saints could not go to heaven, they were separated from God because of their sins which still needed to be paid for. But look at this:
(Ephesians 4:8 NIV) This is why it says: "When he ascended on high, he led captives in his train and gave gifts to men."
Those captives were the people from Paradise that He took to heaven. Now when we die if we are believers we go straight to heaven because we have been reconciled through Jesus' death.
That is where the passage you mentioned comes in:
(2 Corinthians 5:8 NIV) We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

Very brilliant expose of scriptures.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 11:42am On Nov 05, 2013
Catholic theologians point to Matthew 5:25-26 as the basis for Purgatory. Let us review that Scripture:
"Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, until thou hast paid the uttermost farthing." [Matthew 5:25-26. This "prison" thus implied in this Scripture is supposed to be Purgatory. The implication in this Scripture is also that, eventually, the prisoner will pay his final bill and be set free. This implication is held to be consistent with the teaching of Purgatory, that it is not eternal, and eventually, everyone will get out of it, and go on to Heaven, perfectly purified.
Catholic theologians also point to Jesus' enunciation of the Unpardonable Sin as proof for Purgatory. Let us quickly review this Scripture.
"And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come." [Matthew 12:32] This reference to two worlds is held to be proof of Purgatory.
This is the supposed Biblical basis for Purgatory. The remainder of the argument for Purgatory is based upon the Machabees, which are not recognized as Holy Scripture by any church in the world save the Roman Catholic Church, and upon Church Tradition, which is also unreliable because it was written by men, not God, and was written after the Apostles passed from the scene, thus closing the Canon. [See"Sola Scriptura", RC101afor full details]
Now, let us examine these two Scriptural texts, given above, to see if they really prove a Purgatory, or whether they are referring to another meaning. Matthew 5:25 does not refer to a Roman Catholic Purgatory, but tells us that a sinner is a debtor to God, His Creditor. The sinner is cast into prison until he pays the last penny, which is forever because he does not have the resources to pay the final bill. The word, "until" does not necessarily imply a definite or temporary period of time. In many passages of the Bible, the word, "until" clearly denotes that which is done, without any regard to the future. For instance, God says: "The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool." Shall His Divine Son sit no longer after His enemies are subdued? Obviously not. Therefore, the word, "until" cannot be interpreted in Matthew 5:25 as denoting a limited period of time, i.e. Purgatory.
Even Matthew 12:32 does not prove purgatory; in fact, the expression "either in this world or in the world to come" does not imply that some sins are forgiven after death; however, it is a strong way of stating the truth that the unrepentant sinner will never be forgiven, as we see from the parallel passages of this Scripture (Luke 12:10, especiallyMark 3:29). Even according to Roman Catholic teaching, this Scripture could not refer to Purgatory, because Jesus speaks here of forgiveness, of which there is none in Purgatory, where the debt must be paid to the last "penny", either by the pains of torment or by the payment of living relatives, or a combination of the two.
Very significantly. Catholic theologians have had to rest their main argument for Purgatory upon a book which is acknowledged by all the best scholars to be apocryphal and without Biblical value for the majority of Christian believers. In fact, this passage about offering money to pray for the dead is sufficient to prove the lack of Divine inspiration in this book of the Machabees. No other book of Holy Scripture contains this doctrine, which is fundamentally opposed to Christian teaching. In fact, ask yourself why God would ask living believers to pay money to relieve people in Purgatory. What good is money to God, Who is outside of the Earthly realm where money can do anyone any good? In fact, to whom will the money go? Obviously, it could only go to the Church officials living in the here and now. This whole idea of teaching that the paying of money can relieve the suffering of loved ones in Purgatory just smacks of a money scheme.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by amaralizzy40y: 11:44am On Nov 05, 2013
Sal C: Why open a thread with lies.
which one be lies, abeg if u no c anytin useful 4 d thread u live. nofin lyk purgatory.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by kingk(m): 11:53am On Nov 05, 2013
@ mavister, mehnn well said.... In fact let all catholic come pay me some money make I pray for their love ones in purgatory grin mtcheeeew.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 11:55am On Nov 05, 2013
The doctrine of Purgatory is not only without Biblical proof, but it is against the clear and consistent teaching of Scripture. the Bible nowhere speaks of a temporary place of punishment after death for believers; however, it does clearly state that when the believer dies, he enters into rest, and returns to God, a state of existence that no living loved one can effect in any way.
"Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours ..." [Revelation 14:13]
"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it." [Ecclesiastes 12:7]
Now read the text of the picture the Lord paints of the rich man and Lazarus, both of whom died and went immediately to their respective places. The unredeemed rich man went to Hell while Lazarus went to Heaven, also known as Abraham's Bosom. Even though the rich man pleaded with Abraham for some relief, Abraham refused to help him in any way, stating that a great gulf had been fixed between the two places, which prevented anyone from going to and forth, in either direction. Jesus gave no hint that the rich man would someday get out of Hell. Certainly, if Purgatory really existed, this story would have given Jesus the perfect opportunity to tell us about it. Do you realize that Jesus Christ preached more on Hell and punishment than all the other writers in the Bible added together? Yet, He nowhere gives us any indication of a place of punishment of limited time, after which the person goes to Heaven.
NO ONE CAN REDEEM HIS SOUL, NOR THAT OF HIS BROTHER
Of all the verses in the Bible that reveal the falsity of Purgatory, this verse, given below, reveals it completely. Listen carefully: "One cannot redeem oneself, to pay God a ransom. Too high the price to redeem a life; one would never have enough to stay alive forever and never see the pit." [Psalm 49:10, The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press].
The traditional King James Version is a little more clear: "None of them canby any meansredeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:" Yet, this is exactly what poor Roman Catholics are attempting to do as they pay good money to get their loved ones out of this supposed place called Purgatory!!
According to this Scripture, and other verses, no one can satisfy for the punishment due to our sins, since Jesus Christ our Savior has satisfied for us freely and completely, by His sacrifice on the cross. No works that we could possibly do on earth, even if we were a Mother Teresa, and certainly not Purgatory, can ever redeem our souls from foul sin. Our faith in Jesus Christaloneobtains forgiveness for us, not anything we can do. "For by grace are you saved through faith, and this is not from you; it is the [free] gift of God. it isnot from works, so no one may boast." [Ephesians 2:8-9, The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press]
"All have sinned and are deprived of the glory of God. They are justifiedfreelyby his grace through the redemption in Jesus Christ." [Romans 3:23-24, The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press].
"For byone offeringhe has madeperfectthose who are being consecrated." [Hebrews 10:14, The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press]
"Hence, there is nowno condemnationfor those who are in Christ Jesus." [Romans 8:1, The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press]. Please think carefully about this verse. PurgatoryISa condemnation, albeit supposedly temporary. But, the Bible says that there isNOcondemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus! Jesus Himself told us this wonderful truth. "Whoever believes in Him [Jesus Christ, speaking of Himself] willnot be condemned." [John 3:18, The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press]. Since Purgatory is a condemnation, it does not, indeed cannot, exist!
The invention of Purgatory is not based on the Bible, but it is based upon other inventions of the Roman Catholic Church, i.e., venial sin and temporary punishment of sin after death. According to Roman Catholic theologians, a person can commit two kinds of sins against God: mortal and venial. Mortal sin is a grave offense against the law of God or of the Church. It is called, "Mortal" because it kills the soul by depriving it entirely of sanctifying grace. Venial sin is a small and pardonable offense against God and the laws of the Church.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by amaralizzy40y: 11:56am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

In the world to come NEVER means another generation.

You see that you cannot handle truth.

In the world to come is surely the life after death.

Sins can neither be forgiven in heaven nor hell.

Only in purgatory!

What about 1 Cor 3:15?

Where is it talking about? Another generation? grin
my dear stp being decievd in d world 2 come means anoda generatn and nt purgatory. your 1cori3v15 has notin 2 do wif dis forum.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by woky: 11:59am On Nov 05, 2013
skydeexie:

I don't get the point. Can you be more explicit please. We are talking about the existence or not of purgatory.

What connection with Paul's prayer for mercy and goodwill for a dear Christian brother who ministered to him in times of distresses?
Onesiphorous was dead bt paul stil pray to God to show mercy to him(onesiphorous) on the day of judgment, you and i knws that thire is no forgivness in hell
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by ajayikayod: 12:05pm On Nov 05, 2013
woky: Onesiphorous was dead bt paul stil pray to God to show mercy to him(onesiphorous) on the day of judgment, you and i knws that thire is no forgivness in hell

Are u for real?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 12:10pm On Nov 05, 2013
Then, this confusing and unscriptural doctrine of purgatory continues: Two kinds of punishment are due to mortal sin: eternal (in Hell forever), and temporary (in Purgatory). Eternal punishment is canceled by the "sacraments" of Baptism and Extreme Unction, or by an act of perfect contrition with promise of confession.
Temporary punishment is not canceled by these sacraments, but by works of penance, by almsgiving, by paying a priest to say Mass, by indulgences, etc., which reduce the temporal punishment for mortal sins that would have to be suffered in Purgatory. Thus, even if all the mortal sins of a Roman Catholic are "forgiven" in confession by a priest, but the parishioner does not perform enough of these "good works", he will go to Purgatory and remain there in torture until his soul is completely purified.
Roman Catholic theologians attempt to prove the doctrine of venial sin and temporal punishment of venial and mortal sins after death, by quoting the following Scripture:
Jeremiah said of the Jews: "They did worse than their fathers." [Jeremiah 7:26, The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press]
Jesus said to Pilate: "For this reason, he who handed me over to you has the greater sin." [John 19:11, The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press]
In many other passages of the Bible, we also read that it is possible to sin and still remain just, but since no one can commit a mortal sin and be just at the same time, there must be some distinction between sins that kill the soul and change a man from being just to unjust, and other sins that a just man can commit and yet remain just. In Proverbs 24:16, we read, "For the just man falls seven times and rises again ..." [Proverbs 24:16, The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press]. And, in James 3:2, we read, "for we all fall short in many respects" [The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press].
Then, Jesus warned, "I tell you, on the day of judgment, people will render an account of every careless word they speak." [Matthew 12:36, The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press]
Thus, Catholic theologians have concluded that every careless or idle word surely cannot be a mortal sin, deserving of death.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 12:16pm On Nov 05, 2013
BIBLE DRAWS NO DISTINCTION BETWEEN SINS
According to the Bible, there is no distinction drawn between mortal and venial sins. It is true that not all sins are equally heinous in character; at the same time, it is equally true that all sins bring death to the soul. The Jews did worse than their forefather; those who betrayed Jesus Christ committed a greater sin than did Pilate. But who would dare say that because of this, the early Hebrews and Pilate committed only easily pardonable or mere "venial" sins?
Certainly, the Apostle Paul makes no distinction between sins when he says, "The wages of sin is death." [Romans 6:23] Again, in Galatians 3:10, he says, "For all who depend upon works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, 'Cursed be everyone who does not persevere in doing all the things written in the book of the law.' " [The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press] Then, in James 2:10, we read, "For whosoever keeps the whole law, but falls short in one particular, has become guilty in respect to it all." [The New American Bible, Catholic Bible Press]
The disobedience of Adam and Eve in eating the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden appears to be a very small sin. Yet, just as God warned, they ultimately died because of that sin, and death and sin were permanently introduced into the world by every person born. The consequences of their sin were absolutelyENORMOUS,MONSTROUS!! Therefore, the supposed distinction between mortal and venial sins is arbitrary and absurd. This distinction is totally without merit in either logic or Scripture.
But, when we look at the financial result of this teaching, we can see why the Roman Catholic Church is so interested in continuing to teach that there is a distinction between mortal and venial sins. The apostasy of the Church of Rome in this matter is rooted in its desire for money and power over people. The invention of venial sin made the teaching of Purgatory possible -- the fire of which does not consume the poor souls of departed loved ones, but rather keeps the coffers full of cash.
You see, it is absolutely impossible to make money out of the true Biblical teaching that there is no distinction between sins; that Hell for all eternity is for unbelievers and Heaven for all believers in the saving power of Jesus Christ. Souls safely in Heaven do not need the masses of priests on earth, and souls in Hell cannot be released by the ministrations of priests nor the burning of candles before the shrines of the Virgin Mary and the saints. But, if there are sins that make a man not good enough for Heaven, and yet not bad enough for Hell, then it isnecessary to invent a placewhere those who die with venial sins unforgiven must go to be purged.
Then, the gold really accumulates in the Church coffers. It is easy to say that these souls in Purgatory cannot help themselves , nor can God help them; but, they can be helped by a priest on earth saying Mass for them. The offering for a Requiem Mass may be anything from $5 on up, depending on "how much the traffic will bear".
Purgatory is a gold mine for the Roman Catholic Church. But Purgatory would be of little value were it not for themagical distinctionbetween mortal and venial sins, the teaching of the Bible notwithstanding. This false teaching casts great dishonor on the redeeming work of Jesus Christ. Purgatory subtracts from the fullness, and the perfect nature, of Jesus' love for His church, plus it is a denial of the complete and sufficient nature of His sacrifice and His work as Intercessor. [SeeRC111a"Is There A Purgatory, Part 2", for thorough study on the wonderful fact that Jesus paid theFULLpenalty of sin!]
The Roman Catholic Church cannot even take credit for being the first to invent this money making doctrine of Purgatory. Rather, we find that this teaching existed first in Ancient Paganism, from Babylon, to Greece, to Egypt and to Roman mythology. Pagan Rome had a feast of purification called "Sacrum Purgatorium". Reverend Alexander Hislop notes, in his book, "The Two Babylons": "Go wherever we may, in ancient or modern times, we shall find that paganism leaves hope after death for sinners who, at the time of their departure, were consciously unfit for the abodes of the blest. For this purpose, a middle state has been feigned, in which, by means of purgatorial pains, guilt unremoved in time may, in a future world, be purged away, and the soul be meet for final beatitude."
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by cevek11: 12:20pm On Nov 05, 2013
1 John 5:17
All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 12:21pm On Nov 05, 2013
"In pagan Rome, Purgatory was equally held up before the minds of men; but, there seems to have been no hope held out to any of exemption from its pains." [Alexander Hislop, "The Two Babylons", page 167].
"In Egypt, substantially the same doctrine of Purgatory was inculcated. But when once this doctrine of Purgatory was admitted into the popular mind, then the door was opened for all manner ofpriestly extortions. Egyptian prayers for the dead ever go hand in hand with Purgatory; but no prayers can be completely efficacious without the interposition of the priests; and no priestly functions can be rendered unless there be special pay for them. Therefore, in every land we find the pagan priesthood 'devouring widows' houses' and making merchandise of the tender feelings of sorrowing relatives, sensitively alive to the immortal happiness of the beloved dead." [Ibid, pages 167-168]
When I looked in the encyclopedia under "Purgatory", I discovered a link to Hinduism and Buddhism that I did not realize existed. "Hindus and Buddhists, who believe in the transmigration of souls, also believe in heavens and hells where those souls who are not immediately reborn, spend time, according to their deserts [works] before their next incarnation. These are, in effect, the equivalent of purgatory because they are temporal states in the soul's long progress toward eventual salvation." [The Encyclopedia Americana, International Version, Volume 23, "Purgatory" article, page 19, 1997]. Did you notice the words, "not immediately reborn" in this definition of the Pagan Purgatory of Hinduism and Buddhism? This term is exactly the teaching as to why a Catholic needs Purgatory, I.e., their souls are not yet purified enough to go right to heaven. Thus, you can add the false religions of Hinduism and Buddhism to the list of Pagan religions, above, that taught Purgatory. PurgatoryIS PAGAN.
Thus, my dear Catholic friends, you can see two things as a result of reading these articles on Purgatory. First, you can see that Purgatory has no Biblical basis. Second, you can see that Ancient Mystery religions invented Purgatory several thousand years before the Roman Catholic Church began to espouse it. Purgatory is only one of many Roman Catholic teachings that originated in Ancient Paganism. But, this is certainly one major teaching that is Pagan, not Christian. All the Catholic Church did was resurrect this Pagan teaching with Christian names and with certain verses twisted to make them say what they never said.
Thereality, as taught in Scripture, isfar more blessedfor the Born Again Christian, andfarmore serious for the unredeemed. The Redeemed, Born Again Christian, has had his sins completely forgiven and forgotten by Jesus Christ, and he most assuredly does not pass by any Judgment Bar, nor does he receive any Judgment whatsoever. Because Jesus' blood sacrifice alsopaid the sin debt fully, he passes immediately to Paradise, just as Jesus told the repentant thief on the cross! However, the unredeemed soul passes immediately into Hell, where he is tormented continually until the Great White Throne Judgment, where he will be judged according to his own works, deeds, thoughts, and motives. Then, he will be thrown alive into the fire of brimstone, for eternity, where his torment will never cease!
The Truth is the Best of all News on the one hand, and the Worst of all News on the other. The dividing point is the moment of physical death. Dear friend, we beg of you to understand the Biblical Truth we have just shared with you, and accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, trusting in Him and His sacrificeALONEfor your salvation, not on any works the Catholic Church tells you that you must do, but upon His sacrificeALONE.
Jesus paid the sin debt in full!
"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." [John 8:32]
If you have never accepted Jesus Christ as Savior, but have come to realize His reality and want to accept His FREE Gift of Eternal Life, you can also do so now, in the privacy of your home. Once you accept Him as Savior, you are spiritually Born Again, and are as assured of Heaven as if you were already there. Then, you can rest assured that nothing will not hurt you spiritually. You will also know the greatest heart peace that the greatest God can give to one of His own children. Please do not be decieved by anyone cause every man to him self on d last day.. There are lots of false teachings going around which gives room for sin..depart from such and God will see u true.. Stay blessed..

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by amaralizzy40y: 12:21pm On Nov 05, 2013
[quote
author=italo]

Purgatory is not for those with sins that lead to death.

Purgatory is for those whose sins do not lead to death.

1 John 5:16 - He that knoweth his brother to sin a sin which is not
to death
, let him ask, and life shall be given to him, who sinneth
not to death. There is a sin unto death: for that I say not that any man
ask.

These people's sins dont lead to death but they need purgation to enter
heaven.

You need to first understand purgatory before you argue against
it.[/quote]stp quotn wit u dn't knw, 1john5v17 said all unrightoeusnez is sin,n there is a sin nt un2 death. sin which are nt 2 death are those one u confess n forsake.

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
which one be lies, abeg if u no c anytin useful 4 d thread u live. nofin lyk purgatory.
Your six months frog jump in purgatory, isn't it a lie? Where did you get it from?,
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by kingk(m): 12:27pm On Nov 05, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
stp quotn wit u dn't knw, 1john5v17 said all unrightoeusnez is sin,n there is a sin nt un2 death. sin which are nt 2 death are those one u confess n forsake.

Oga I disagree that they're those ones you confess and forsake...
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by stankezzy: 12:29pm On Nov 05, 2013
who is d queen of heavens,jeremiah 44-16,17,18,19,20.a demon artemis or astesia worshiped in mesopotemia in those days.she is believed to be god of war nd love coming down from venus .incorporating idolatory into christianity.GOD IS WATCHING.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by amaralizzy40y: 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

Yes, yes, dear friend. We Catholics believe that. But we have a question.

Q 1: How did the couple at the wedding in Cana get to the Father.

Our answer: Through Jesus.

Q 2: How did they get to Jesus?

Your answer? Through _ _ _ _. (Fill in the gaps)
Apart frm dis weddin at cana were else. Now catholic is from Mary to Jesus, Jesus to God. Instead of Jesus to God does it mean Jesus cn't hear ur prayers except mary tels him.

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by woky: 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
stp quotn wit u dn't knw, 1john5v17 said all unrightoeusnez is sin,n there is a sin nt un2 death. sin which are nt 2 death are those one u confess n forsake.
sigh
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by skydeexie(m): 12:32pm On Nov 05, 2013
woky: Onesiphorous was dead bt paul stil pray to God to show mercy to him(onesiphorous) on the day of judgment, you and i knws that thire is no forgivness in hell

Brother, I would rather worry about my own salvation, how to live a holy and righteous life now than to worry about some dead saints who are already in heaven. Here you go again twisting and confusing issues.

Here are Paul's statements on Onesiphorus concerning the day of Christ return to take up His Saints.

2 Tim. 1:15-18 (Living Bible) - In context.

15 As you know, all the Christians who came here from Asia have deserted me; even Phygellus and Hermogenes are gone. 16 May the Lord bless Onesiphorus and all his family because he visited me and encouraged me often. His visits revived me like a breath of fresh air, and he was never ashamed of my being in jail. 17 In fact, when he came to Rome, he searched everywhere trying to find me, and finally did. 18 May the Lord give him a special blessing at the day of Christ’s return. And you know better than I can tell you how much he helped me at Ephesus.

It did not say on the day of purgatory. Who would not like to receive God's special blessings on the day of Christ return? Like Onesiphorus I would like to extend the same ministration to the Pastors and the brethren in general. According to Hebrews 13:1-2 "Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Thank you.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 12:34pm On Nov 05, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
my dear stp being decievd in d world 2 come means anoda generatn and nt purgatory. your 1cori3v15 has notin 2 do wif dis forum.
How can a person live in two generation.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (33) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Warns Comedians: Don't Joke With Men Of God! / Pastor Richmond Leigh Is Dead / Father Mbaka Warns Judges Over Cultism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 183
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.