Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,075 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? (36486 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / Is There Anything Like Sinful Haircut? / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Deha(m): 8:40am On Nov 05, 2013
glamoureze: I hope u pray for Gods understanding sha. what the bible meant by nothing umpure will enter heaven is that no matter how little your sin might be, it is enough to make u miss heaven. The moment you ask for mercy and u genuinely repent of your sins. God will forget those sins. Those things that happened to moses and David never happened after the coming of Jesus.
The most righteous man on earth sins 7times a day,everyday........Sometimes,you can unintentionaly commit sin...Becuz it is unintentional,u may nt rememba to ask forgiveness about them....What then happens when u die in them? So,will God allow u go to hell cuz of them? I beg to disagree bro!!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Raymond405: 8:41am On Nov 05, 2013
Italo and Chincent you have done a wonderful job by explaining to unbelievers that the Bible did acknowledge purgatory. Unbelievers if you want to understand purgatory, because it's above your human understanding. close your eyes and ask God for understanding before reading the verse I quoted below. make sure that you do it with all sincerity. And I know God will grant you the understanding. But if you refused to do what I said,whether you believe or not, PURGATORY EXIST .PERIOD

1 John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
1 John 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
the Bible is telling us to pray for those who have died, and if they that died sin a sin not unto death, God could hear your prayers and accept such into his kingdom. May God help up all. AMEN
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Raymond405: 8:41am On Nov 05, 2013
Italo and Chincent you have done a wonderful job by explaining to unbelievers that the Bible did acknowledge purgatory. Unbelievers if you want to understand purgatory, because it's above your human understanding. close your eyes and ask God for understanding before reading the verse I quoted below. make sure that you do it with all sincerity. And I know God will grant you the understanding. But if you refused to do what I said,whether you believe or not, PURGATORY EXIST .PERIOD

1 John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
the Bible is telling us to pray for those who have died, and if they that died sin a sin not unto death, God could hear your prayers and accept such into his kingdom. May God help up all. AMEN
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 8:43am On Nov 05, 2013
Pipsland78:

This dude is really funny. Nowhere in the verses quoted is it suggested that any sin will be forgiven in the world to come. So how did he come about the idea of sins being forgiven in the afterlife?

People should stop assuming and misinterpreting the Bible .

With due respect, if this is your inference from Matt 22:32, what you need urgently is an elementary grammar textbook, not a Bible.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 8:51am On Nov 05, 2013
Syncan:

I had felt like shouting the bolded a long time ago. You've answered quite a lot of questions thrown, yet no one has attempted to give an answer to yours. A lot of bla bla bla, yet the questions asked since the first page continued to be unanswered.

As usual, brother. As usual. smiley
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by kingk(m): 8:53am On Nov 05, 2013
Raymond405:

Oga you also need an UNDERSTANDING, yes you need it cos you don't really understand the bible verse you quoted............... I have a QUESTION for you..."Please give me each example of SIN unto DEATH ans SIN not unto DEATH.. Then you'll know that there's nothing like PURGATORY.

Am waiting.............
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 8:54am On Nov 05, 2013
vivichocs: I love this !!!!...u r really engrossed in the bible..keep it up....anybody still arguing abt existence of purgatory ?

Thank you. smiley

There are some people still arguing. There are people who would rather cling to error if the truth is being presented by a Catholic.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 8:56am On Nov 05, 2013
salvarhymes: [color=#000099][/color]

my dear, let me tell u guys what u dnt knw. In catholicism, purgatory exists but in Christianity it doesn't exist. Nw, i knw u r a little confused if the two religions r different. D ansa is yes. Jst make some research 4 urself. It is nt enough to bliv whatever u r told in church. D catholic worship is different frm Christianity jst like we hav Buddhism, voodooism, etc. In Christianity, it is either heaven or hell and both of dem exists bt nt in dis earth. Hebrew 9:27 says it is appointed unto man to die once, after that comes judgement. There is no grace or repentance after death. D only time som people wil b granted d grace to make up their ways is after d first rapture. And, that grace is jst for those our fore-fathers who didn't hear d gospel of Christ at all. It is nt 4 u and i who knw d truth bt refused to listen. So, if u wanna knw everytin, add me on fb @ ubogu salvation. Or 08135195815
Whenever I see post like this, I can't help but laugh at how people discredit their root and still think they can stand. Instead of using Catholic and Christianity, better use Christianity and protestanism .

2 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 8:57am On Nov 05, 2013
Pdizzle: Italo stop explaining, u dnt expect sumone who has not been tru cathecism to understand purgatory, its lyk teachn a man who doesnt knw arithmetic calculus.There a lot of tins attached to it lyk d mortal n venial sins n d dere source wit d bible passage bckn it.

You have a point.

It's just that the ignorant make the most noise in this part of the world, unfortunately.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Ubenedictus(m): 8:57am On Nov 05, 2013
obadiah777: nah Sal. this here topic is about purgatory. we are talking about being purged in the wilderness grin
i agree cheesy
obadiah777: nah Sal. this here topic is about purgatory. we are talking about being purged in the wilderness grin
i agree
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 9:00am On Nov 05, 2013
Parish-priest:
@Italo, i cannot but say thank you, for answering your questions with maturity and good biblical quotations. This is how a debate ought to be done in nairaland. Kudos

Thank you too.

To God be the glory.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 9:02am On Nov 05, 2013
kingk:

Oga you also need an UNDERSTANDING, yes you need it cos you don't really understand the bible verse you quoted............... I have a QUESTION for you..."Please give me each example of SIN unto DEATH ans SIN not unto DEATH.. Then you'll know that there's nothing like PURGATORY.

Am waiting.............
Give us an example of sin against the father, sin against the son, and sin against the Holy Spirit.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Adunbi2(m): 9:05am On Nov 05, 2013
Yes their is pugatory, if u wnt to knw more i will orientate u, pugatory is evn worst dan hell, it is 4 dose who sin and ask 4 forgivnes but their sin av not been 4given totaly, dey we av to go 2ru some pain dea, dat is y it is encoraging to pray 4 d those dat av die no 1 knw if they are in pugatory
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by sixone: 9:05am On Nov 05, 2013
Sal C: Give us an example of sin against the father, sin against the son, and sin against the Holy Spirit.

Some one asked a question instead of you to answer first you are throwing another one at him. Isn't that some sort of confusion? Which kind people God put for this country self. Did d dude ask you to ask him questions? Or to answer. Na wah
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by kingk(m): 9:07am On Nov 05, 2013
Sal C: Give us an example of sin against the father, sin against the son, and sin against the Holy Spirit.

Denouncing christ after you've known the truth, is a sin that covers all you mentioned.

But for sin unto and not unto.........with God understanding in me, we can share light in them thereby proving that there's no PURGATORY..........it's a mere human assumption.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by kingk(m): 9:12am On Nov 05, 2013
Adunbi2: Yes their is pugatory, if u wnt to knw more i will orientate u, pugatory is evn worst dan hell, it is 4 dose who sin and ask 4 forgivnes but their sin av not been 4given totaly, dey we av to go 2ru some pain dea, dat is y it is encoraging to pray 4 d those dat av die no 1 knw if they are in pugatory

Please read your post again... A SIN HAVE NOT BEEN FORGIVEN TOTALLY grin.......... Oga na wa oh! Is there something like half way forgiveness? If one is death, he's gone no repentance nor forgiveness, praying for the death is like pouring water on a stone.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 05, 2013
MEILYN: when someone dies, his spirit goes to God who gave it.

"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it." (Ecclesiastes 12:7).

you should know earth is the place of judgment, you will come back to earth to serve your punishment for the sins you committed... Your spirit will now have a new body.

"And moreover [I saw under the sun the place of judgment,] that wickedness was there; and the place of righteousness, that iniquity was there." (Ecclesiastes 3:16).
if u come back to earth to serve ur punishment when ur spirit returns to God..which spirit will now accompany u to earth in order to serve ur punishment?and when during ur punishment u die.. the same spirit u possessed will return to God again and back to earth to suffer again? pls clear me
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 9:14am On Nov 05, 2013
glamoureze: exactly. God forgave David and made him pay for his sins. so when David died. he'll still go to purgatory to pay again. haba our God is a merciful God nau

At least you know that we pay for even the sins forgiven.

Purgatory is for those who haven't finished paying for their sins in this life.

Sometimes, I wonder what would happen if Bin Laden sincerely turned to Jesus seconds before he died. Would he then go straight to heaven after a lifetime of the worst crimes?

It is not mine to judge but I know one thing...our Lord is merciful but he is also just.

What about your granny who has been a Saint all her life? If I visited her and she told you from her bedroom "tell am say I no dey" seconds before her death, would she then go to hell while Osama goes to heaven? Will that sin which doesn't lead to death take her to hell or will she be purified of it in purgatory then enter heaven.

Make up your own mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 9:17am On Nov 05, 2013
glamoureze: I hope u pray for Gods understanding sha. what the bible meant by nothing umpure will enter heaven is that no matter how little your sin might be, it is enough to make u miss heaven. The moment you ask for mercy and u genuinely repent of your sins. God will forget those sins. Those things that happened to moses and David never happened after the coming of Jesus.

What about the sins that dont lead to death, do they take you to hell (death) or heaven (life)?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by waldigit: 9:19am On Nov 05, 2013
Deha:
The most righteous man on earth sins 7times a day,everyday........Sometimes,you can unintentionaly commit sin...Becuz it is unintentional,u may nt rememba to ask forgiveness about them....What then happens when u die in them? So,will God allow u go to hell cuz of them? I beg to disagree bro!!

Bro accept the officice of the Holy Spirit and it shall be easy for you to live a sinless life.
On the issue of purgatory although it cant be prooved with the scriptures, however if we give benefit of doubt because we know in part as apostle Paul has said, I think its a fraud and wicked for anybody to go about telling pple about it considering the implication that it can encourage pple no to aspire to attain to holy life. Little wonder you hav a high number of catholics who are nominal believer. I think the doctrine is having toll on them.
Pls don't get me wrong I mean no offence, even my wife is a very devout catholic.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 9:19am On Nov 05, 2013
kingk:

Oga, you have nothing to say. Reasons, 25 december is an assumption not really the day christ was born, everything we needed to know as human has been written in this our own bible but we need an understanding of the word...........though I don't have time for details. SECONDLY, talking about SIN not unto death, OGA as a believer, when you commit that SIN, if you DIE you'll go HEAVEN........not PURGATORY nor HELL. Once again I say, there's NOTHING like PURGATORY it's either HEAVEN or HELL.

I'll like us to explore the examples of sin unto and not unto DEATH.

You are saying then that impurities will enter heaven?! shocked
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by vatuso: 9:20am On Nov 05, 2013
amara if u r askin for better undastndin or for knowledge u wldnt hv taken a side in ur comment cos frm ur comment,u r just been skeptical.u dont wnt to give rum for d explanation n yet u ask.well givin u link to undastnd,try n honestly answer those 3 questions put to u by Italo. but if u need a full lecture on purgatory mail me on vatuso@yah
oo.com or call me on 08037966684 frm nw till next 3wksamara if u r askin for better undastndin or for knowledge u wldnt hv taken a side in ur comment cos frm ur comment,u r just been skeptical.u dont wnt to give rum for d explanation n yet u ask.well givin u link to undastnd,try n honestly answer those 3 questions put to u by Italo. but if u need a full lecture on purgatory mail me on vatuso@yah
oo.com or call me on 08037966684 frm nw till next 3wks
amara if u r askin for better undastndin or for knowledge u wldnt hv taken a side in ur comment cos frm ur comment,u r just been skeptical.u dont wnt to give rum for d explanation n yet u ask.well givin u link to undastnd,try n honestly answer those 3 questions put to u by Italo. but if u need a full lecture on purgatory mail me on vatuso@yah
oo.com or call me on 08037966684 frm nw till next 3wks
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by gonzaga: 9:21am On Nov 05, 2013
Yes, Purgatory exist. The existence of Purgatory is a testament to the inexhaustible mercy of God.

1John,5:17 says, all wrong doing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death.

For sure, we know when the Bible talks about death, it's not physical death, but eternal damnation. The question then becomes; those who commit the sin that does not lead to eternal damnation, where do they go?

In justice, God will not condemn a man who stole food to survive and the one who massacred several innocent babies to the same judgement.

At the same time, the eyes of God are so holy that they cannot behold the slightest of sins. Purgatory is therefore the place where those category of persons who commit those sins not leading to death go for cleansing before they see God.

It is in this vain that the Catholic Church teaches about mortal and venial sins. All sins that offend against the 10 commandments are mortal.

If you claim that all sins are the same, it means that you are telling us that God is no longer a just God.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by MaziOmenuko: 9:23am On Nov 05, 2013
MEILYN: lmao grin grin. But we will enjoy later now... Suffer now enjoy later. Abi how you see am?grin

obadiah777: lol oh yeah. its a her ? thought it was a he ? oh yeah we said the same thing now. lol. purity of tongue. you shall speak with purity of tongue saying the same thing grin

Workers of iniquity!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by kingk(m): 9:24am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

Sometimes, I wonder what would happen if Bin Laden sincerely turned to Jesus seconds before he died. Would he then go straight to heaven after a lifetime of the worst crimes?

It is not mine to judge but I know one thing...our Lord is merciful but he is also just.

What about your granny who has been a Saint all her life? If I visited her and she told you from her bedroom "tell am say I no dey" seconds before her death, would she then go to hell while Osama goes to heaven? Will that sin which doesn't lead to death take her to hell or will she be purified of it in purgatory then enter heaven.

Make up your own mind.

No one has an ANSWER here...pls what are those SIN that is unto and not unto DEATH.

italo:

You are saying then that impurities will enter heaven?! shocked

NO! There's no impurity in heaven............ But what are the SIN NOT unto DEATH and SIN unto DEATH?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by bigdidi(m): 9:25am On Nov 05, 2013
Yes de's sumthing lyk that.. 4get de name.. Purgatory is simply dat state a soul needs purification to get into de kingdom of God.. If we cant pray 4 de souls in hell(cos de's no mercy dey) and cant also ask 4 mercy 4 odas who're in heaven (cos de don't need dem) we do pray 4 dos who are neither here nor dey.. 4get de catholic church if u listen very well to ur pastor doing funerals he always pray dat God have mercy on dos souls >wat he means dey is God have mercy 4 dos in de state of purgatory.. Let me add here dat purgatory is a state of transformation and not a place.. It's exist 4get wat de Catholics call it..
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 9:25am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

Make up your own mind.
my brother, how i wish u could give us scriptural proof to substantiate that there is purgatory. U are going round and round in circles. Please
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 9:28am On Nov 05, 2013
Adunbi2: Yes their is pugatory, if u wnt to knw more i will orientate u, pugatory is evn worst dan hell, it is 4 dose who sin and ask 4 forgivnes but their sin av not been 4given totaly, dey we av to go 2ru some pain dea, dat is y it is encoraging to pray 4 d those dat av die no 1 knw if they are in pugatory
Hello all..
This issue of purgatory is a very serious and delicate one as many are confused and have been led away from the truth.
Now the big question is what is purgatory
According to the catholic doctrine, purgatory is a place, probably a geographical space in the spiritual realm where wrong doers (people who commited little sins in their life time here on earth) are kept temporarily and retributed for their sins for a period of time before they are now sent to heaven. Having understood what purgatory means, i'd like to expantiate clearly on this.
Now we all go to church and as such we cant say we are ignorant of God's word.even if we are, we have a conscience to know what is good and bad and avoid the bad. Our God is no respecter of persons, age, status etc. And as such no sin is too big or small in the eyes of God. Now God is not a man and the way we look at sin is not the way God looks at sin. We humans tend to classify sins under big and small sins but the almighty God generalizes sins and even a small lie has same gravity as murder. That is God for you. Secondly, if you believe in this doctrine of purgatory, that means u are indirectly saying that God counts small sins and counts big sins as different and dishes out different punishment to the doers. Let me tell you this, purgatory is not biblical and is just a human ideology in a bid to justify thier inability to live a wholly life void of sin.. This doctrine is one believed by the weak man who hasnt recieved the touch of God fully. I believe if u are sanctified and holy-ghost filled., u will know better..am not condeming anyone here neither am i speaking from a biased mind but all am saying is that purgatory has no scriptural proof watsoever..i once asked a vibrant catholic friend to show me where it is in d bible or somtin relating to purgatory but he could not. But went on saying that there is purgatory..well in dat case .i didnt arfue with him. I just kept praying for God to open his eyes..i have seen catholics to be very bent people to their doctrines and without changing it.not even in their minds and this is quite tru...but let me leave you all with this last words... YOU AND I KNOW THERE IS HEAVEN AND HELL EVEN IF U BELIEVE IN PURGATORY, U KNOW THIS IS TRUE. U AND I KNOW SIN IS WRONG AND CAN TAKE U YO HELL.. YES YOU KNOW THAT. YOU AND I KNW THAT HEAVEN IS A PLACE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE SINLESS. YES U KNOW THAT..NO SINEER WILL ENTER THERE.. NOW WHAT IF IT HAPPENS THAT U LIVE A WHOLLY HOLLY LIFE WITHOUT DELIBRATE SIN AND U SERVE GOD AND THEN U DIE, IF U FIND OUT THERE IS NO PURGATORY, AND U END UP IN HEAVENM, U WOULD HAVE LOST NOTIN BUT GAINED ETERNAL LIFE..BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, IF U BECAUSE OTHERS ARE BELIEVING THERE IS PURGATORY AND U JOIN THEM AND U SAY WELL SMALL LIES DONT MATTER AND U COMMIT 'SMALL SINS' AND THEN U DIE AND DISCOVER THERE IS NOT PURGATORY, WHERE DO U THINK U WILL END UP IN? ANSWER THAT FOR YA SELF..COS IF U END UP IN HELL IT IS FOREVER.. WITHOUT END..PLEASE BE WISE. THNK YOU ALL
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by LadyExcellency: 9:28am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

Yes, yes, dear friend. We Catholics believe that. But we have a question.

Q 1: How did the couple at the wedding in Cana get to the Father.

Our answer: Through Jesus.

Q 2: How did they get to Jesus?

Your answer? Through _ _ _ _. (Fill in the gaps)

Matt 11:28 Come unto me (Jesus), all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Jesus never requested or made any case for an intermediary throughout his life on earth.

Secondly, never imply anything when reading or quoting the bible rather use bible passages/verses to support or trash any doubt you have.

On a lighter note, If I reason with your argument for purgatory in the thread, I presuppose that you are of the believe that there is purgatory.

That everyone in purgatory made a mistake or committed sin not unto death.

That everyone in purgatory will consequently make it to heaven hence there is no effect of earthly prayers on their transition to heaven but just a matter of time.

My question to you is: Do you encourage the living offering prayers for the dead?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by kingk(m): 9:31am On Nov 05, 2013
gonzaga: Yes, Purgatory exist. The existence of Purgatory is a testament to the inexhaustible mercy of God.

1John,5:17 says, all wrong doing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death.

For sure, we know when the Bible talks about death, it's not physical death, but eternal damnation. The question then becomes; those who commit the sin that does not lead to eternal damnation, where do they go?

In justice, God will not condemn a man who stole food to survive and the one who massacred several innocent babies to the same judgement.

At the same time, the eyes of God are so holy that they cannot behold the slightest of sins. Purgatory is therefore
the place where those category of persons who commit those sins not leading to death go for cleansing before they see God.

It is in this vain that the Catholic Church teaches about mortal and venial sins. All sins that offend against the 10 commandments are mortal.

If you claim that all sins are the same, it means that you are telling us that God is no longer a just God.

I just copied out this quote from yours ***For sure, we know when the Bible talks about death, it's not physical death, but eternal damnation***. The question is as a believer, if I commit the sin that is not for eternal damnation, if I die will I be condemned?.... The answer is NO and NO. So where will I be then; it's either heaven or hell, for being a believer, I'll be in heaven not PURGATORY nor HELL.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by kingk(m): 9:34am On Nov 05, 2013
mavister: my brother, how i wish u could give us scriptural proof to substantiate that there is purgatory. U are going round and round in circles. Please

Don't mind this Bro joor... No scripture yet no evidence yet grin
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 9:34am On Nov 05, 2013
waldigit :

Bro accept the officice of the Holy Spirit and it shall be easy for you to live a sinless life.
On the issue of purgatory although it cant be prooved with the scriptures, however if we give benefit of doubt because we know in part as apostle Paul has said, I think its a fraud and wicked for anybody to go about telling pple about it considering the implication that it can encourage pple no to aspire to attain to holy life. Little wonder you hav a high number of catholics who are nominal believer. I think the doctrine is having toll on them.
Pls don't get me wrong I mean no offence, even my wife is a very devout catholic.

Between the doctrine of purgatory (Catholicism), and the doctrine of "Once saved always saved,"(Protestantism) which one encourages sin more?

Be honest.

We say if a believer sins unto death, he is headed for hell; they say a believer is destined for heaven even though he kills a whole continent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Warns Comedians: Don't Joke With Men Of God! / Pastor Richmond Leigh Is Dead / Father Mbaka Warns Judges Over Cultism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.