Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,283 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators (10754 Views)

Economic Crisis: Five Banks’ Profit Drop By N54bn / Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import / Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by smooooooth: 4:50pm On Jul 15, 2008
they waited for the last man in nigeria to buy, and now, BAN. what a waste of effort, & resources. people have had to work so hard just to get the ''i pass my neigbour'' and they dont even get the chance to use it. cos they know its no longer selling,everyone's got one, so now they wanna Ban.
stupid govt.

secondly, banning gen, will not help the power situation,rather it will make things worse, instead they need to look into the problem in the power sector, probably allow foreign investors come in. then people will automaticaly stop using the gen, or then a ban will be fine.besides who wont want it ban then, considering the health problems it poses.

F**king Senators.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by bobbobby(m): 4:52pm On Jul 15, 2008
how can a country live without electricity , its a must that every light , business centre , shops anywhere should be powered by electricity for cool running !!!

the govt should be concerned abt restoring this simple basic part of living rather then thinking of banning a product like generators.

if there is 100% electricity in the country , every single nigerian would ban the generator out by themselves - no need to force a ban on anything on them , specially generators !

next time it would be , Call for BAN ON BREATHING ! or PAY FOR THE AIR YOU INTAKE !
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by smooooooth: 4:57pm On Jul 15, 2008
no fucking person is fucking sabotaging any fucking shit, its just our irresponsible govt that's in biz(where it has no biz being in the first place) for profit, and has a civil service that fucking incompetent and totally useless, and a bunch of dumd fucking skulls in govt that cant even thing around a simple problem, and they are so deaf that they can even hear when the masses cry out a solution.
thats just the fucking problem
 WE NEED TOTAL PRIVATISATION. GOVT SHLD GET LOST FROM DOING BIZ, AND ALLOW THE ECONOMY TO GROW THRU THE CAPITALIST DRIVE!!!
if not nothing go work, as long as those dead brains continue to rule.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by bebure(m): 4:59pm On Jul 15, 2008
I appreciate the fact that a senator feels compelled to take a radical step to save Nigeria from the evil PHSN. However, this guy does not seem very smart for someone whose name is Smart does he? This has to be one of the most stupid things I've ever heard of. Does the guy realise the effects this will have on the people and the economy? As if Nigerians aren't suffering enough already. Is it the people's fault power supply is crappy in Nigeria? No!!!! It is the fault of the bastard, selfish, uneducated, greedy, buffonish government we've had ever since I can remember (no disrespect to Smart, I understand he's trying to help). The effects of a ban would be crippling on the economy. People would not be able to keep their perishable items frozen because, PHCN doesn't exctly provide power frequently enough for that, moreover people wouldn't be able to take goods to their friends homes to store vecause their friends would equally be in the same situation and so on.

When the stupid idea starts affecting businesses, I wonder if that would include all the oil companies as well (the ones that line these idiots pockets) or will it just be Mr Ajayi's small supermarket in Diobu. If supermarkets don't have electricity most of the time, they would run out of business fast and that would keep happening all over the country driving the cost of goods high as Redman because supply of basic goods would be almost non-existant.

Perhaps what should happen is that the Commissioners, Local Government Chairmen/women, Senators, Ministers, Governors and the President and his vice should be banned from having generators, they are afterall the ones that need to set the wheel in motion and not the common Nigerian man or woman on the street.

I understand that radical steps need to be taken to solve the problem in the power sector, but the steps taken should not cripple the economy so badly. These guys all need to sit down and think of a strategy which makes more sense. I can give a million more reasons why this is a bad idea, but I have to start heading home, it's 5pm here (thereabout).
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by otokx(m): 5:07pm On Jul 15, 2008
These people are running out of ideas or why should someone even think in that direction?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by romeo(m): 5:07pm On Jul 15, 2008
The only way to ban generators in Nigeria is by providing electricity 24/7 wink wink
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by AKO1(m): 5:10pm On Jul 15, 2008
"Senator calls for Ban on Generators"

I call for a sobriety test to be conducted on all Legislators before entering the floor of the National Assembly because obviously not all of them are in their right frame of mind; like Madam Ekaette and her indescent dressing biullshit.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by jorge1980(m): 5:16pm On Jul 15, 2008
This Guy Smart Dumb rather has a history of making such idiotic comments, He should go back to reporting sports on NTA Ilorin.
He made lots more sense back then!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by A2J(m): 5:18pm On Jul 15, 2008
hahahaa, what a country, the issues out of naija are always that of comic jokes, ban generator and people will start dieing in that country.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by gongoaso1: 5:21pm On Jul 15, 2008
romeo:

The only way to ban generators in Nigeria is by providing electricity 24/7 wink wink
simply put.

but this smartalec's outburst may not be unrelated to an incident , perharps his generating set blew up some gadgets grin cheesy grin
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 15, 2008
Chairman, Senate Committee on Federal Character and Inter-Governmental Affairs, Senator Smart Adeyemi, has advocated an immediate ban on use of generators at home to ensure the success of the expected state of emergency on the power sector.

Senator Adeyemi, who stated this in an interview, said that all hands should be on deck for the success of the state of emergency in the power sector.

He said the government should immediately set a target date of two years to place a ban on use of generators at home.

“We can allow generators at business centres, but after two to three years, when the effects would have been seen, we can then place a total ban on use of generators in every sector. That is when everybody will pray for the success of the emergency,” Senator Adeyemi said.

He said by banning the importation of generators, the government could successfully tackle the cartel that ruined all initiatives in the power sector in the past.
Adeyemi said: “the president must summon the political will. We should take a cue from the way nations have solved their pressing problems. There is no way except leaders take the radical steps. Energy problems have been on for over two decades now and unless we effect change through reasonable radicalism, we may be a long way to success.”

Meaning that the senator is telling us to believe that why we do not have daily electricity is because of generator importers.
Does it mean that it was the importers that took 19Billion Obasanjo put into power?
As long as nigerians stay put to have all sorts of nonsense from our political overlords they will continue telling us how stupid we are as a people.
My immediate suggestion for this will be for NLC to stage a protest, violently if necessary to ban the use of generators in the National Assembly, state assemblies, federal and state government lodges, it is then we will know if it is actually the importers that are holding the government to ransom.
We ain't animals and we know that all our problems are caused by a generation that have passed its usefulness, it is time we the youths reject this generation of tribalistic, corrupt, inhumane and evil group of people. Revolution, I say brothers.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by cold(m): 5:24pm On Jul 15, 2008
AKO i second that motion.U nid to see the way these (Dis)honorables carry on with the job of legilasture,u just com away with the impression that something is definitely wrong with the black man.(though this is debatable)
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by jorge1980(m): 5:33pm On Jul 15, 2008
cold:

AKO i second that motion.You nid to see the way these (Dis)honorables carry on with the job of legilasture,u just com away with the impression that something is definitely wrong with the black man.(though this is debatable)

Please add IQ test to the sobriety test, guess the average IQ among those guys should should be 70 and thats because few people like Jubril Aminu are there I would have said 50 = Idiot
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 15, 2008
You guys love talking too much, I wonder if you ever have time to do your work. Anyway, I pride myself in being a positive thinker. If I’m right, the Senator’s not proposing an immediate ban. He’s proposing a target of two years from now. I think it’s a good strategy in getting things done properly. Any plan the FG has in mind to restore the power sector in the Country can be well implemented over this period. A ban might actually be unnecessary cos if there’s light then there’s absolutely no need for a gen right?? So before we crucify the poor Senator, let’s see what happens in the next two yrs with the power sector. Personally the timing is perfect for me; in two yrs time I might need to change my Generator. Won’t I be lucky if I don’t NEED to? wink
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Kobojunkie: 5:37pm On Jul 15, 2008
nobilia:

Meaning that the senator is telling us to believe that why we do not have daily electricity is because of generator importers.
Does it mean that it was the importers that took 19Billion Obasanjo put into power?
As long as nigerians stay put to have all sorts of nonsense from our political overlords they will continue telling us how stupid we are as a people.
My immediate suggestion for this will be for NLC to stage a protest, violently if necessary to ban the use of generators in the National Assembly, state assemblies, federal and state government lodges, it is then we will know if it is actually the importers that are holding the government to ransom.
We ain't animals and we know that all our problems are caused by a generation that have passed its usefulness, it is time we the youths reject this generation of tribalistic, corrupt, inhumane and evil group of people. Revolution, I say brothers.

O ga ooo!!!! I think all this is cause these people think we are idiots that will swallow any suggestion made. I don't blame them, there are Nigerians out there who are ready to turn on their EXCUSE-FACTORY to produce as many excuses as needed to rationalize all the stupid talk that spew forth from those silly politicians. All under the guise of 'Positive-Thinking' and 'Having faith'. LMAO!!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by savanaha: 5:39pm On Jul 15, 2008
MAybe the governor secretly wants Nigerians to invest in solar energy (probably not). But banning of generators would be a good way to introduce solar energy on a wide scale to Nigerians. It is more environmentally friendly than generators. Also even though it is expensive the pay off is better than generators. Just a thought though.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Mustay(m): 5:40pm On Jul 15, 2008
Mikano's market has grown over the years -

Maybe the senator could think of us giving us Inverters
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 15, 2008
Ujujoan:

You guys love talking too much, I wonder if you ever have time to do your work. Anyway, I pride myself in being a positive thinker. If I’m right, the Senator’s not proposing an immediate ban. He’s proposing a target of two years from now. I think it’s a good strategy in getting things done properly. Any plan the FG has in mind to restore the power sector in the Country can be well implemented over this period. A ban might actually be unnecessary because if there’s light then there’s absolutely no need for a gen right?? So before we crucify the poor Senator, let’s see what happens in the next two years with the power sector. Personally the timing is perfect for me; in two years time I might need to change my Generator. Won’t I be lucky if I don’t NEED to? wink

You are swallowing it all hook, line, fish and water. Did you really study the proposal well in all its ramifications? Your problem is that you listen too much.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by jorge1980(m): 5:42pm On Jul 15, 2008
Ujujoan:

You guys love talking too much, I wonder if you ever have time to do your work. Anyway, I pride myself in being a positive thinker. If I’m right, the Senator’s not proposing an immediate ban. He’s proposing a target of two years from now. I think it’s a good strategy in getting things done properly. Any plan the FG has in mind to restore the power sector in the Country can be well implemented over this period. A ban might actually be unnecessary because if there’s light then there’s absolutely no need for a gen right?? So before we crucify the poor Senator, let’s see what happens in the next two years with the power sector. Personally the timing is perfect for me; in two years time I might need to change my Generator. Won’t I be lucky if I don’t NEED to? wink

Whats your point? Stop sitting on the fence!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by CH3COO(m): 5:42pm On Jul 15, 2008
Ujujoan:

Positive thinker abi foolish non thinker?  Of what use is your thinking if you fail to induce circular analysis in your thought process?

We have been pretty much without power since the beginning of time but should suddenly endear the thought of some constant power boom in 2 years.  What drivel.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by abdurrazaq(m): 5:45pm On Jul 15, 2008
Calling for the ban of generator to fix our power problems shouldn't be the solution in an ideal nation. I mean the law of DEMAND and SUPPLY should be allowed to take effect here. When there is constant power supply, only on special cases will you see individuals going for generators.
What might cause the utterance of these words from the senator may be he suspects the delay in the power emmergency from the side of the authority because, they are involved with the importation of generators. undecided
Sen. Smart was only trying to help but, he wasn't thinking well when he made such comments
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On Jul 15, 2008
abdurrazaq:

Calling for the ban of generator to fix our power problems shouldn't be the solution in an ideal nation. I mean the law of DEMAND and SUPPLY should be allowed to take effect here. When there is constant power supply, only on special cases will you see individuals going for generators.
What might cause the utterance of these words from the senator may be he suspects the delay in the power emmergency from the side of the authority because, they are involved with the importation of generators. undecided
Sen. Smart was only trying to help but, he wasn't thinking well when he made such comments

Come on!!! You and I know that does not make sense. You mean We need a ban on generators so Yar adua can understand the meaning of emergency and then move to ensure that the projects are given urgent attention and completed in the right time?? COME ON!!! How many more excuses do we need for this stupidity?? The ban is not on the authorities but on PEOPLE( AVERAGE NIGERIANS), Not even Businesses get to suffer here. So How  do you come up with an excuse like the one you have above??

Doesn't it ever bother you that in this country, to solve simple problems, we use BANS? BAN here, BAN there, BAN everywhere, and we can not claim that this strategy works in the good of the people of Nigeria but we want to continue blindly accepting BANS? Instead of allowing demand and supply act, we instead have these overlords banning this and that as if we are not able to decide on our own what is good for us any circumstance. COME ON!!! ARE WE MONKEYS?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 15, 2008
Just a little faith y'all.

Circulatory Analysis Please dont make me laugh!!! Anyway, you guys can analyse all you want, I just think that the whole idea's not entirely useless. If you guys'll just stop for a second and think, instead of delibrately sekking for faults. The Idea, like everyother one, has its pros and cons.

nobilia:

You are swallowing it all hook, line, fish and water. Did you really study the proposal well in all its ramifications? Your problem is that you listen too much.

Your problem is that you read too much!!!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by bigfather(m): 5:55pm On Jul 15, 2008
The stupid man is just seeking for a cheap publicity !
I no blame am !
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by CH3COO(m): 5:58pm On Jul 15, 2008
Abi circular analysis, I mean.
uju
Your problem is that you are investing too much faith in a lost cause.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 15, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Come on!!! You and I know that does not make sense. You mean We need a ban on generators so Yar adua can understand the meaning of emergency and then move to ensure that the projects are given urgent attention and completed in the right time?? COME ON!!! How many more excuses do we need for this stupidity?? The ban is not on the authorities but on PEOPLE( AVERAGE NIGERIANS), Not even Businesses get to suffer here. So How do you come up with an excuse like the one you have above??

Does it ever occur to you that the Country we r inviting to help us with our power problems are the major suppliers of these Generators?? How on earth do you think they'll come up with something sensible. An imminent ban may or may not help!! What on earth makes you think Yar Adua dosent take it seriously?? Series of presidents before him have tried and failed!! Its not something he can do overnight and in all fairness to the guy, he's putting in some effort. If there's a semblance of stability in the power sector in two years, what do we need Generators for? But then, people might prefer to pay for Fuel for their Generators than their electricity bills. Afterall we all know that Nigerians are very bad at paying bills.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Kobojunkie: 6:09pm On Jul 15, 2008
Ujujoan:

Does it ever occur to you that the Country we r inviting to help us with our power problems are the major suppliers of these Generators??

Which country is it that you are inviting to help you? What in the world are you talking of? China is already right there in Nigeria and happens to be the major supplier to Nigeria so why are we inviting china when it is already there in Nigeria building the power stations that are on hold cause Yar adua is yet to release funds for full development to occur?

Ujujoan:

How on earth do you think they'll come up with something sensible. An imminent ban may or may not help!!
How does a ban help? Opportunity for you to post an advantage here Preach that sermon to me please! How many bans have helped so far. I want to hear this sermon please. Please indulge me.
Ujujoan:

What on earth makes you think Yar Adua dosent take it seriously?? Series of presidents before him have tried and failed!!
You have proof that they tried? Which ones and why did they fail? Any clue? Or you just swallow propaganda and spew it back out when you are questioned?

Ujujoan:

Its not something he can do overnight and in all fairness to the guy, he's putting in some effort. If there's a semblance of stability in the power sector in two years, what do we need Generators for?
I am glad you can read Yar Adua’s mind to the extent that even when he does not speak, you have full access to his mind to know he is putting effort. Do supply us with proof of these efforts which you claim. I mean you don’t expect me to just believe it cause you said it, right?
Ujujoan:

But then, people might prefer to pay for Fuel for their Generators than their electricity bills. Afterall we all know that Nigerians are very bad at paying bills.
Interesting!!!! So, if there is electricity that costs me, say about  Naira 3000 a month for 24 hours supply, the average Nigerian would prefer to pay Naira 6000 a month on diesel for generator,  for the same 24 hour electricity. My lady, try that logic again!! All your excuses bombed. Try your luck again!!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 15, 2008
Does it ever occur to you that the Country we r inviting to help us with our power problems are the major suppliers of these Generators?? How on earth do you think they'll come up with something sensible. An imminent ban may or may not help!! What on earth makes you think Yar Adua dosent take it seriously?? Series of presidents before him have tried and failed!! Its not something he can do overnight and in all fairness to the guy, he's putting in some effort. If there's a semblance of stability in the power sector in two years, what do we need Generators for? But then, people might prefer to pay for Fuel for their Generators than their electricity bills. Afterall we all know that Nigerians are very bad at paying bills.

Your responses baffle me. What bills are you talking about, go tell it to Mama Tunji that had electricity last in 2004 or to papa emeka that decided to permanently take off his light bulbs.
You mean it has been ordained that we can not be able to have electricity? If Obasanjo failed do we need to resign to faith and expect Yaradua to fail too?
No foreign company took our money, Nigerians used foreign companies to swindle ourselves. Any foreign company paid to do a job in absence of corruption, must definitely do it.
Are you in Nigeria or are you just being spoilt with lack of independent reasoning? No offence meant nwannem nwanyi
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 15, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Which country is it that you are inviting to help you? What in the world are you talking of? China is already right there in Nigeria and happens to be the major supplier to Nigeria so why are we inviting china when it is already there in Nigeria building the power stations that are on hold cause Yar adua is yet to release funds for full development to occur?
How does a ban help? Opportunity for you to post an advantage here Preach that sermon to me please! How many bans have helped so far. I want to hear this sermon please. Please indulge me. You have proof that they tried? Which ones and why did they fail? Any clue? Or you just swallow propaganda and spew it back out when you are questioned?
I am glad you can read Yar Adua’s mind to the extent that even when he does not speak, you have full access to his mind to know he is putting effort. Do supply us with proof of these efforts which you claim. I mean you don’t expect me to just believe it cause you said it, right?Interesting!!!! So, if there is electricity that costs me, say about Naira 3000 a month for 24 hours supply, the average Nigerian would prefer to pay Naira 6000 a month on diesel for generator, for the same 24 hour electricity. My lady, try that logic again!! All your excuses bombed. Try your luck again!!

Now you are getting Paranoid. All of you!!!

Neway before you guys crucify me, I'm just trying to be optimistic. Look what good all your critiquing has done tongue

CH3COO:

uju
Your problem is that you are investing too much faith in a lost cause.

Nothing is a lost cause!!!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by RedHotChic(f): 6:28pm On Jul 15, 2008
What has banning generators got to do with improving power supply? Did he write that proposal at the beer parlour? Before it was a bill to congratulate Obama, now it's another one to ban generators. makes we wonder the kind of people that represent us and how they reason.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by abdurrazaq(m): 6:29pm On Jul 15, 2008
@Kobojunkie, I am not in support of the Senator's comments. All I'm saying is that the Senator was trying to help but, what he was proposing was not good. I mean, Generators, in Nigeria, are not for the rich only anymore the poors also use the gen. Almost all Nigerians own a GEN set and you expect that I will support the ban on what people work hard to get what the Govt. cannot provide and still force us to pay for!!! NO
Who knows? The Senator might have been denied IMPORTATION LICENCE for generator undecided
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by CH3COO(m): 6:33pm On Jul 15, 2008
uju, it's not? I guess banning the generators helps defeat global warming, right? It's Nigeria's little way of contributing to our global improvement. Hiss!

You keep accusing people of not thinking when you're obviously the one who's failing to utilize her 5 senses. How is the ban on generators representative of a change for the better?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Profitable Business Can I Invest 3 Million Naira Into??? / Principle And Machine For Making Commercial Yogurt / Etisalat Is 5 Years Today In Nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.