Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators (10750 Views)

Economic Crisis: Five Banks’ Profit Drop By N54bn / Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import / Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by kkkossy(m): 10:39am On Jul 16, 2008
there is no need to talk much on this thread,simply put-this senate guy is goin nuts
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Rafaell(m): 11:11am On Jul 16, 2008
I would really love to see this happen, Alhaji should better start learning how to take the bullssss by their hornssss.
(You know there will be a lotta BULLS & HORNS !!)

If not, one of his Seven point agenda - Effective Power Generation - will be a complete, total, all-round, disgraceful FLOP! angry

Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by grafikdon: 11:26am On Jul 16, 2008
Seun, could you please delete the poll at the top of this thread? It's giving me a terrible case of acute stomach ulcer. Thanks in advance.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by cleankay: 12:06pm On Jul 16, 2008
It is a national 'JOKE' to comtemplate banning generators.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Mustay(m): 12:32pm On Jul 16, 2008
grafikdon:

Seun, could you please delete the poll at the top of this thread? It's giving me a terrible case of acute stomach ulcer. Thanks in advance.

Do you not believe in Opinions?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by baloo4u2(m): 12:42pm On Jul 16, 2008
@KABONINC AND KOBOLAND,FAITH IN DEED HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

@OTHERS, ANY GOOD ALTERNATIVE PLEASE.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by youngies(m): 12:48pm On Jul 16, 2008
Just a minute Mr. Smart Adeyemi

Before the ban on generators, I would like to suggest other bans in this order:

Ban on private schools because government have destroyed the public school

Ban on private bore holes because government has destroyed the public water corporation

Ban on private airlines because government has killed the Nigerian Airways

Ban on private banks because banks owned by the govt like ACB, National Bank, Bank of the North have all gone under

and least I forget . . .

Ban on Senator Smart Adeyemi because govt have corrupted the electoral system

NONSENSE!!! sad

Kobo I agree with for the 1st time
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Mustay(m): 12:59pm On Jul 16, 2008
Ban on private schools because government have destroyed the public school
that's ridiculous!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by youngies(m): 1:11pm On Jul 16, 2008
What is the difference between six and half a dozen?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by seyibrown(f): 1:15pm On Jul 16, 2008
That stupid man wants to take our independence away from us!

The government has shown us over the decades that we can not rely on them, hence our looking for solutions to problems that we face, hence our looking for alternatives to the social amenities that they refuse to the deliver!

God go punish this man and all the people wey follow am propose this 'ridiculous, poor-man continue suffering while the rich keep enjoying' idea as a solution to the government's failure at the provision of a very important amenity! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 1:37pm On Jul 16, 2008
@grafikdon

im not spraying air freshner on anything,im just saying the truth most people condemning the man have closed their mind and reasoning to any suggestions as long as it comes from a politician,if it was gani fawehinmi or any of the anti corruption crusaders that suggested this im sure there wont be as much condemnation,if you check the negative comments on here like i have,most of it is on either how small businesses will cope which the man has said that they will be given more time(bearing in mind,the man just made a suggestion which hasnt been fine tuned and checked out yet)
others are just abusing him just because he is a senator,the long and short of the man's suggestion is that
1)no pain no gain
2)if the rich in the society dont experience what the poor/average nigerians are going through,the urgency of the situation wont dawn on them,
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Ifeniyi22(m): 1:38pm On Jul 16, 2008
some things can't and won't work.
Its obvious to all that the power sector is in crisis.BANNING OR NO BANNING
There's  a proverb when translated to English language goes thus---A blind man does not need to be told that its raining grin
The problem is serious and should be treated as such.No need further compounding the misery and pains of Nigerians who have bought power generating sets,have to contend with buying fuel at high rates and still pay PHCN bills for power not consumed.haba!!!!!!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Jakumo(m): 1:39pm On Jul 16, 2008
Unwanted rain can be prevented by banning umbrellas in Nigeria.

Electricity blackouts will cease to occur if Nigerians are forbidden to discuss the subject.

Outlawing all medical care facilities nationwide will prevent injury, illness and death in Nigeria.

Pass legislation to criminalize bore-holes and wells, in order to curtail Nigeria's addiction to water.

Outlaw poverty itself, so as to eradicate it.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Afam(m): 1:42pm On Jul 16, 2008
The proposal is wrong and unreasonable.

Will the government ban the importation of candles too?

Unfortunately, the electrical, mechanical, chemical engineers in this country have very little to offer as I cannot see why Nigerians cannot produce solar panels, power inverters, wind generators, fuel or diesel generators in large quantities. Must we have to import everything?

It is a shame that the FG is considering depriving innocent Nigerians of basic alternatives created by ineffective running of the power sector by the government.

Blaming generator dealers for the sorry state of the power sector is pure nonsense just as they are looking for anything to blame as to why we cannot refine crude oil in Nigeria, instead we prefer to sell crude oil to countries that are as small as some states in Nigeria and then turn around to import refined fuel from these same countries.

We should simply introduce the death penalty for corruption and when 3 or 4 people are shot then others will know that we are serious about making Nigeria work.

Until we take the China route we will be singing the same old song.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by princeonx: 1:43pm On Jul 16, 2008
His parents or whoever named him SMART but he's no where near that!

Who in their right mind will on/use a Generator when/if there is electric power?
PHCN is what they need to work on and people for sure will do away with the gen. without been told. useless leaders
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by seyibrown(f): 1:46pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ Lucrabasi

im not spraying air freshner on anything,im just saying the truth most people condemning the man have closed their mind and reasoning to any suggestions as long as it comes from a politician,if it was gani fawehinmi or any of the anti corruption crusaders that suggested this im sure there wont be as much condemnation,if you check the negative comments on here like i have,most of it is on either how small businesses will cope which the man has said that they will be given more time(bearing in mind,the man just made a suggestion which hasnt been fine tuned and checked out yet)
others are just abusing him just because he is a senator,the long and short of the man's suggestion is that
1)no pain no gain
2)if the rich in the society don't experience what the poor/average nigerians are going through,the urgency of the situation wont dawn on them,

Let us assume Generators will be banned.

Who will arrest and prosecute the rich and influential who flout this ridiculous rule?

The corrupt Nigerian police will swoop on the poor who dare use their generators.

So the rule will will only apply to the poor and powerless at the end of the day.

It is simply cruel!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 1:51pm On Jul 16, 2008
@debosky

i totally disagree with you,contrary to your opinion i actually think its an excellent statement,all the man is saying like i have repeatedly said from what i understant of the statement is that to appreciate the seriousness of the situation and for the rich and priviledged to feel what the average nigerian goes through right now and everyday.
now you r asking what that will achieve right?
what it will achieve is that someone like ahamdu alli will start crying to yar adua that he needs to do something fast.
people like the pdp leadership will start making calls and telling yar adua how important it is to make the power sector a priority
yar adua and the ministers friends and aquintances will start to put pressure on them to do something fast

as of now,the only people who can afford generators and the diesel are the rich,and even though they worry about the energy crisis,not to the extent where they will go out of their way after all they have a silent remote controlled brand new generator in their house,for instance the famouse probe that was the focus just a couple of months ago is already running into controversies,yar adua has put the energy crisis on the back burner,do you see any of them shouting about power today in spite of the controversies?instead they are scheming already how to withdraw more money from the foreign surplus

you dont get it do you?the senator cares thats why he is saying anything, its far easier for him to live his high roller life and leave the average nigerian to suffer,its no skin off his nose,if yar adua likes let him sort the power out,if he likes let him not smart adeyemi will still live in luxury with a functional generator working 24/7 paid for by the government so tell me what he is gaining?certainly not political relevance because im sure you know he doesnt need that to be a senator in nigerian politics
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by youngies(m): 1:55pm On Jul 16, 2008
Mr. Ignorance Adeyemi was just simply expressing his ignorance in public. I don't think his views are that of the Feds. So let us not catch cold about it.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 1:58pm On Jul 16, 2008
seyibrown:

@ Lucrabasi

Let us assume Generators will be banned.

Who will arrest and prosecute the rich and influential who flout this ridiculous rule?

The corrupt Nigerian police will swoop on the poor who dare use their generators.

So the rule will will only apply to the poor and powerless at the end of the day.

It is simply cruel!

its not about arresting a few who flout the laws,its about majority of the rich who will complain loudly and put more pressure on government,surely 100% of them will not flot the rules will they?
and generator is not something you will put under a bed or under a chair
and you seem to be forgetting that the man only made a "SUGGESTION" it has not been taken on board,if hypothetically speaking its taken on board,of course all the concerns will be looked into and addressed,and this kind of laws will not and cannot be in place for years because the pressures will be overwelhming considering the amount of rich it will affect.
let me ask you,how many poor and powerless can afford to or are using a generating set in their residence presently?you seem to view generators as if its a cell phone that everyone can afford in nigeria,even if the poor can afford it can they afford the price of fuel or diesel to run a generator for at least 5 hours at least 4/5 days a week?
well,it is cruel for the rich not the average nigerian
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by blazeup(m): 2:10pm On Jul 16, 2008
nigerian politican have rosted ideas,
imagine a senator this.  it is like shooting ur self in the foot.

may be he loves dark ness,

if this would ve been else where, it would have been a political suicide,  agree ?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Afam(m): 2:12pm On Jul 16, 2008
lucabrasi:

@debosky

i totally disagree with you,contrary to your opinion i actually think its an excellent statement,all the man is saying like i have repeatedly said from what i understant of the statement is that to appreciate the seriousness of the situation and for the rich and priviledged to feel what the average nigerian goes through right now and everyday.
now you r asking what that will achieve right?
what it will achieve is that someone like ahamdu alli will start crying to yar adua that he needs to do something fast.
people like the pdp leadership will start making calls and telling yar adua how important it is to make the power sector a priority
yar adua and the ministers friends and aquintances will start to put pressure on them to do something fast

The content in bold refers, ordinary Nigerians need not suffer due to what those in power have done. If they are serious all government offices should ban the use of generators first for at least 2 years so that we will know they are serious.

These guys have no business being in politics at all.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Kobojunkie: 2:15pm On Jul 16, 2008
I think it is high time Nigerians move to have the word BAN removed from the vocabulary of these dudes for a while or least till they get it into their heads that bans do not necessarily or magically solve problems, especially in Nigeria.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by debosky(m): 2:20pm On Jul 16, 2008
I am sorry luca, your logic is warped at best

So it is till Ahmed Alli and PDP leadership get denied generators will they begin to tell Yar'adua to fix power? It is till the ministers' friends and acquaintances get edgy before anything would happen in the power sector?

In essence, once something does not affect the rich people in Nigeria it is pointless right?

It seems the 'luxury' that Smart Adeyemi has lived in has dulled his senses to believe that this asinine suggestion will work. When other things in Nigeria were banned, were people in power not still getting them? Like someone has said - even IF there was a ban, the rich and powerful would flout it and continue to enjoy their generators, meaning the shrinking middle class and struggling people who are barely affording generators will be the only ones to suffer.

It is no skin off his nose, we know that, but as a Senator is it not supposed to be skin off the nose of the people he is representing? The poor people in his constituency who are spending their life savings on generators?

But no, I guess Smart is doing us a favor according to you, simply because he can enjoy power in his house, he should not face the root of the problem, he should rather chase and completely destroy the economy. Afterall, a destroyed economy doesn't affect him either, he will continue to be rich off government.

Any thought process that justifies and encourages taking citizens for granted cannot wash by me. It is high time we stop condoning this nonsense.

@ Afam great suggestion.

Instead of banning generators across board, Ban senators, house of reps members, ministers and aides from using generators, along with their associates; since its their suffering that will catalyse the change, the rest of Nigeria does not need to suffer for it
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by babakuns: 2:31pm On Jul 16, 2008
They should first of all ban all the idiots,thiefs and robbers in this country then ELECTRICITY (POWER) will be stable and it will be easier to ban the use of generators and their importations
Here i rest my case! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by grafikdon: 2:39pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ Mustay, I believe in opinions, but not the type that blurs the thick line between idiocy and mental derangement.

@ Jakumo. . . LMAO!!! That's another way to arrange it. Death to the owners of 'bore hole' !!!!!!! Death to MTN!!! Death to generator user! Embrace candle. . . no, death to candle users/sellers!!! Death to EVERYTHING!!!! because apparently nothing works anyone who tries an alternative shall be sentenced to death.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by oldie(m): 2:59pm On Jul 16, 2008
People like Smart Adeyemi are what the system throws at us
Shallow minds
So sad we are stuck with his ilk
And he is one of the better ones!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 3:00pm On Jul 16, 2008
debosky:

I am sorry luca, your logic is warped at best

So it is till Ahmed Alli and PDP leadership get denied generators will they begin to tell Yar'adua to fix power? It is till the ministers' friends and acquaintances get edgy before anything would happen in the power sector?
well thats your opinion which you are entitled to,but ill just ignore that,to your ahmadu alli and pdp sentece,what i meant because you obviously didnt understand is that,corruption and the will to execute government projects is not just a decision taken by the president alone in a vacum,he has people who sit in his living room,who have acess to him and who he asks what the heart beat/of the nation is and who tell him what should be prioritised,i used pdp and a.alli as an example/figure head of the average multi millionaire or billionaire business person/politician who if they experience what the av nig are going through will put pressure on the government,to know the power these people have over decisions the president makes,go and check the interview by the former minister in obasanjo's first term doyin okupe and what he said precisely about that specefically i.e informal advicers,and how their take on what the average nigerian wants shapes government priorities
debosky:

In essence, once something does not affect the rich people in Nigeria it is pointless right?

yes it is more or less, unless you are telling me now that the average vulcanizer or carpenter has the voice and influence of an average multi millionaire who has acess to the corridors of power or government ministers/presidency
debosky:

It seems the 'luxury' that Smart Adeyemi has lived in has dulled his senses to believe that this asinine suggestion will work. When other things in Nigeria were banned, were people in power not still getting them? Like someone has said - even IF there was a ban, the rich and powerful would flout it and continue to enjoy their generators, meaning the shrinking middle class and struggling people who are barely affording generators will be the only ones to suffer.
well i realli dont get your first about the luxury dulling his senses,luxury normally makes one insensitive to the poor,but if a senator is uncharacteristicly saying the rich which he is part of should suffer the inconvinience as well then, i really dont know
yes but of all these other stuffs that were banned,most of them couldnt have affected the rich like generators/power
banning imported food wont be a major inconvinience there are enough alternatives
banning cars of a certain year wont affect the rich there are alternatives
banning imported laces and what not wont kill the rich or affect them,there are alternatives
banning generator will have a profound effect on the rich because of the discomfort,and like i said in answer to the person that said that,a generaqting set is not something you can put under a chair or under a bed,so not many people can flout the laws with impunity and get away with it,even if the judiciary andenforcement is all messed up they still do a job all the same,besides it has not been fine tuned and adjusted which happens with every law being suggested, operative word here being "suggestion"
i hate to burst the bubble,but we dont have a middle class,only a low class,working class and the high class, most of the working class belong to the upper classes and are very very minute anyway,the majority which should matter are in the lower classes and are in the region of at least80% or more but just being conservative, the struggling people who barely afford generators"  cannot afford to use it in their residence,hell to the no pedro,
they only use the small 10,000 naira ones for business and they dont last more than a couple of months because they are lightweight,much less being used like 4/5 times a week for an average of 6/7 hours, and i have not even mentioned the price to fuel the generator,maybe you should find out how much diesel is now and petrol
debosky:

It is no skin off his nose, we know that, but as a Senator is it not supposed to be skin off the nose of the people he is representing? The poor people in his constituency who are spending their life savings on generators?

But no, I guess Smart is doing us a favor according to you, simply because he can enjoy power in his house, he should not face the root of the problem, he should rather chase and completely destroy the economy. Afterall, a destroyed economy doesn't affect him either, he will continue to be rich off government.

Any thought process that justifies and encourages taking citizens for granted cannot wash by me. It is high time we stop condoning this nonsense.

i really dont know what you people want,if he keeps quiet like the others and enjoys his gravy train while it lasts,you will blame them,now that he is speaking up that its not fair for them to have it easy with their generators while the poor suffer,you are here blaming him again that he isnt representing his constituency,how would he have done that??by givng up his own generating set and using candles or lanterns??

hmmmn,i see what you mean, so smart could as well exchange his agbada for combat fatigues,strap a bomb on himself and blow yar adua up to push for change,or better still hold up the president and his ministers at gun point to force the change,so he is the one destroying the economy now?
well then ,in view of what you v said in that last paragraph,and seeing as he has put his feet in his mouth,i guess the right thing and better way of serving his constituency is by keeping his head down,shutting up and living it up till his term is over seeing as the handful who have generators in their residences wont want to suffer the inconvinience
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 3:04pm On Jul 16, 2008
Afam:

The content in bold refers, ordinary Nigerians need not suffer due to what those in power have done. If they are serious all government offices should ban the use of generators first for at least 2 years so that we will know they are serious.

you are right,but ordinary nigerians are suffering for what these in power have done already,who are the ordinary nigerians if not the food seller,market woman,carpenter,teacher,mechanic e.t.c
can they afford generators in their residences??
i really hope you r not telling me the rich and priviledged are the "ordinary nigerians"you r reffering to,cause if you are then i guess i dont knw that nigeria
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by ayinba1(f): 3:06pm On Jul 16, 2008
"Pray" indeed that the proposed plan to supply energy works.
There is no assurance form Mr Smart that it will, nay , there is no plan.

Fix the energy problem, generators will go away.

Try it.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by palmwine(m): 3:07pm On Jul 16, 2008
For instance if the IG and Senators put on their Genertors during this BAn who sanctions them?

Lesson: The Ban if any will only affect the poor who use I better pass my neigbhour.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 3:11pm On Jul 16, 2008
ayinba1:

"Pray" indeed that the proposed plan to supply energy works.
There is no assurance form Mr Smart that it will, nay , there is no plan.

Fix the energy problem, generators will go away.

Try it.
of course but the problem is that just a single senator cannot solve the problem,besides its down to the executive to solve the problem not senator smart or the legislative
palmwine:

For instance if the IG and Senators put on their Genertors during this BAn who sanctions them?

Lesson: The Ban if any will only affect the poor who use I better pass my neigbhour.
yes but now that they are not banning are the senators and ig not using theoir generators?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by bluehorizo(m): 3:13pm On Jul 16, 2008
im not spraying air freshner on anything[b],im just saying the truth most people condemning the man have closed their mind and reasoning to any suggestions as long as it comes from a politician,if it was gani fawehinmi or any of the anti corruption crusaders that suggested this im sure there wont be as much condemnation,if you check the negative comments on here like i have,most of it is on either how small businesses will cope which the man has said that they will be given more time(bearing in mind,the man just made a suggestion which hasnt been fine tuned and checked out yet)
others are just abusing him just because he is a senator,the long and short of the man's suggestion is that[/b]
1)no pain no gain
2)if the rich in the society don't experience what the poor/average nigerians are going through,the urgency of the situation wont dawn on them,

1. Are you a politician? Even if you are,would you have suggested that generators should be banned even if the power sector is stable?

2. Which sane man will go for a generator if the power sector is stable?

3. Gani Fawehinmi would never have made that ridiculous suggestion. He is learned and not an Agbero Senator.

4. What has being a Senator or politician got to do with this issue? He made a ridiculous,senseless and the most stupid suggestion of the millennium and we are no fools or stupid to see what good can come out of such a suggestion. Let's call a spade a spade.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Can I Receive Money To My Naira Mastercard / Etisalat Is 5 Years Today In Nigeria! / What Profitable Business Can I Invest 3 Million Naira Into???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.