Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,269 members, 7,836,213 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators (10752 Views)

Economic Crisis: Five Banks’ Profit Drop By N54bn / Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import / Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 6:46pm On Jul 19, 2008
Rhea:

I do have a feeling that the ones supporting this loony senator are Nigerians living overseas.
Nigerians enjoying the labour of their foreign host.

Nigerians who cannot afford to spend a decent week in their mother land.
These tokunboh Nigerians do not share the experiences of bonafide Nigerians resident in Nigeria, held hostage by a group of bandits who can afford to pay and shoot their way into political office;
the Nigerian who has to manufacture his own power yet pays his taxes to government.
The Nigerian who recruits and prescribes and pays for his own security yet pays his taxes.
The Nigerian who basically has to do everything for himself that a working government should do, except collecting taxes.

A ban on generators without a feasible substitute is simply aggravating the sufferings of the masses.
yes i live abroad
and yes i fully support the senator
what exactly is the situation in nigeria that i have not addressed in my argument??
was i wrong in saying that banning a generator will have minimal effect at best on the average poor nigerian who cannnot afford to use generators anyway?
unless you can prove to me that being abroad things have changed from last year when i was in nigeria and the poor pplunder the bridge,the carpenters,panel beaters e.t.c can now afford generators ??
if you can prove to me that a ban on generators will affect the poor more than the rich,ill keep my mouth shut and apologise on here for my past comments
im not a tokunbo nigerian and i dont have to share the experience of the nigerian living under the bridge to know what they are going through even if im living in nigeria,dyu share their experience or live under the bridge?or have you experienced living in kosofe under dismal conditions?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by royalicon(m): 8:18pm On Jul 19, 2008
I bet u guys, if generator is banned, about 75% of Nairalanders will not feature regularly if not all. I see it as mission impossible. If it will be a possible, the we must have been celebrating about 10yrs of uninterprupted power supply.

I rest my case.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by tpia: 8:45pm On Jul 19, 2008
royalicon:

I bet u guys, if generator is banned, about 75% of Nairalanders will not feature regularly if not all.

true sha.

Nairaland will be taken over by Nigerians abroad.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 10:12pm On Jul 19, 2008
most nigerians in nigeria(not all)use thecybercafe anyway,and from what the man said the ban will not extend to small businesses so the only change will be rich people using the cyber cafes,wouldnt that be nice smiley
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Afam(m): 10:38pm On Jul 19, 2008
lucabrasi:

most nigerians in nigeria(not all)use thecybercafe anyway,and from what the man said the ban will not extend to small businesses so the only change will be rich people using the cyber cafes,wouldnt that be nice smiley

Where did you get the information in bold from?

Personally, considering the fact that you live outside Nigeria you really do not qualify to educate anyone on the benefits of banning the use of generators in Nigeria as you cannot shut down the life of people and keep them in perpetual darkness simply because the government has failed to provide power and people like you who do not suffer the power problem sit behind their computers to suggest crazy proposals on how to solve our power problem.

We are our own worst enemies.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 12:33am On Jul 20, 2008
Afam:

Where did you get the information in bold from?

Personally, considering the fact that you live outside Nigeria you really do not qualify to educate anyone on the benefits of banning the use of generators in Nigeria as you cannot shut down the life of people and keep them in perpetual darkness simply because the government has failed to provide power and people like you who do not suffer the power problem sit behind their computers to suggest crazy proposals on how to solve our power problem.

We are our own worst enemies.
what dyu mean by where did i get the information from?
there are diffrent droup of internet browsers/web users whaeva
1)people that have it at home-there are a lot but not as much as
2)the people who use the numerous cyber cafes, that is why i said "not all"in bracket,unless you are saying that more people have internet in their private homes than use the cyber cafe,then i will conclude that internet acess is same as the united states,united kingdom,europe etc??

since when has living outside nigeria being a crime or a yardstaick for measuring who can or cannot talk about the benefits??
what has the people living inside nigerian done for the less priviledged?
are the corrupt politicians,and other rich people who do not give poor people the time of the day not living in nigeria?
or are you saying that as long as you live in nigeria,then you are eminently qualified to know what is best for the people,even if you have not raised your hand to help a less priviledged adult or child,
i follow reasoning, state your case and stop going round in circles using insults to force your reasoning on me,go back and see my reasons for thinking its a good idea,i didnt just post a comment and accuse people i dont know of posting crazywhaeva
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by dblock(m): 7:52am On Jul 20, 2008
You have a problem with Generators, you don't like Okada, You don't like Molue and Danfo, You don't like Beggers, You don't like thieves, you don't like Vendors and Hawkers, You don't like 419, You don't like Militants, You don't like Police asking for bribes.

But How are these problems going to go away unless you actually Create and adequate Infrastructure, Industry and alleviate Poverty.

People wouldn't use Generators if they had adequate Energy Supply, People wouldn't use Okada, Danfos etc if they had a better means of transportation, people wouldn't beg if there employment opportunities, people wouldn't steal if they had no reason to, people wouldn't street hawk if they had something better to do, 419ners wouldnt scam if they had job opportunities after leaving University, Militants wouldn't retaliate if their region wasn't neglected, Police wouldn't ask for bribe if they got paid and adequately.

Such laws will only result in over crowded prisons, because i don't see how people will abide by them
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nella(f): 4:01pm On Jul 20, 2008
That guy is a fool! Senator my ass! Uneducated monkey!

If they list senators they would list him as well! --- DO they even think!!?? Gosh!!

Imagine! A whole senator, that's all he can come up with!! fool! Who even elects this people sef!!?? -- I am sure he is related to that  other fool that attributed the plain crashes to juju. nonsense! 

This our rulers are not even fit to be house boys!

Rhea:

I do have a feeling that the ones supporting this loony senator are Nigerians living overseas.
Nigerians enjoying the labour of their foreign host.

Nigerians who cannot afford to spend a decent week in their mother land.
These tokunboh Nigerians do not share the experiences of bonafide Nigerians resident in Nigeria, held hostage by a group of bandits who can afford to pay and shoot their way into political office;
the Nigerian who has to manufacture his own power yet pays his taxes to government.
The Nigerian who recruits and prescribes and pays for his own security yet pays his taxes.
The Nigerian who basically has to do everything for himself that a working government should do, except collecting taxes.

A ban on generators without a feasible substitute is simply aggravating the sufferings of the masses.

All right, that's not true brother!

columbus71:

why una go waste una precious time, they read waiting them they talk!!! especially when em no make sense. Can you imagine they period they said they want to declare emergency in power sector, that was the time PHCN/NEPA decide to take our light for 3weeks and 2days. not that they decide to bring it back ohh but after much protest by the youth of stadium road in Benin.

that senator waitin he they use for him house!!! abi na that styl tem want take chope small?

I tell u! Those people do not even reason like human beings!!! Wht qualifies them as rulers 4 Christ sake!!!!??
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Afam(m): 7:40pm On Jul 20, 2008
lucabrasi:

what dyu mean by where did i get the information from?
there are diffrent droup of internet browsers/web users whaeva
1)people that have it at home-there are a lot but not as much as
2)the people who use the numerous cyber cafes, that is why i said "not all"in bracket,unless you are saying that more people have internet in their private homes than use the cyber cafe,then i will conclude that internet acess is same as the united states,united kingdom,europe etc??

since when has living outside nigeria being a crime or a yardstaick for measuring who can or cannot talk about the benefits??
what has the people living inside nigerian done for the less priviledged?
are the corrupt politicians,and other rich people who do not give poor people the time of the day not living in nigeria?
or are you saying that as long as you live in nigeria,then you are eminently qualified to know what is best for the people,even if you have not raised your hand to help a less priviledged adult or child,
i follow reasoning, state your case and stop going round in circles using insults to force your reasoning on me,go back and see my reasons for thinking its a good idea,i didnt just post a comment and accuse people i don't know of posting crazywhaeva

You don't have anything to back up your wild claim about the number of Nigerians that use cyber cafes so stop wasting people's time on this.

I have not raised my hand to help a less privileged adult or child? No wahala but I believe that your support for a very lousy proposal will cause more harm to less privileged adults or children.

I wonder if people still think with their brains or with their left legs these days.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 12:15am On Jul 21, 2008
Afam:

You don't have anything to back up your wild claim about the number of Nigerians that use cyber cafes so stop wasting people's time on this.

I have not raised my hand to help a less privileged adult or child? No wahala but I believe that your support for a very lousy proposal will cause more harm to less privileged adults or children.

I wonder if people still think with their brains or with their left legs these days.
here we go again with the insults,the funny thing is that im sure you are prolly a fully grown adult or family man pls go through your comments again and see how it looks,i wont really go along your routes of insults but ill ignore any further comments from you if it contains insults,
1)i say more nigerians have acess to only cyber cafes that personal internet at home and you say its a wild claim,i can back it up by the number of cyber cafes just in lagos and howmuch it costs to connect a phone and then have internet connection

2)so my support for what you call a lousy proposal will cause more harm to the less priviledged adults and children than actually raising a hand to help them, how did you think that one through bred grin

ill ignore the last insult and wont dignify it with a reply
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Afam(m): 6:22pm On Jul 21, 2008
@lucabrasi,

I find it supremely difficult to understand how you would support a proposal that will be like this

Mr John wakes up in the morning dressed in a shirt that was last ironed before the ban and goes off with a GSM phone with dead battery (because he cannot use generator at home).

I forgot, he actually slept last night in a very hot room because he cannot use his fan, couldn't listen to news or even watch TV because there is no way he can use his generator.

Then he gets to the office and asks his boss to allow him charge his GSM handset and to take sometime off to catch up with the news he missed last night.

Meanwhile, Mr John is condemned to drinking cold water or mineral only when he is outside his home because he cannot use his fridge or freezer because people like you support the ban of generators at home.

In 3 months only God knows what the prayers of people like Mr John must have done to people like you for supporting such evil proposal that brings with it nothing but pain and misery to Nigerians you claim to be fighting for.

If friends na this type then e better make we begin search for enemies one time.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by donchichi: 6:25pm On Jul 21, 2008
Afam:

@lubrasci,

I find it supremely difficult to understand how you would support a proposal that will be like this

Mr John wakes up in the morning dressed in a shirt that was last ironed before the ban and goes off with a GSM phone with dead battery (because he cannot use generator at home).

I forgot, he actually slept last night in a very hot room because he cannot use his fan, couldn't listen to news or even watch TV because there is no way he can use his generator.

Then he gets to the office and asks his boss to allow him charge his GSM handset and to take sometime off to catch up with the news he missed last night.

Meanwhile, Mr John is condemned to drinking cold water or mineral only when he is outside his home because he cannot use his fridge or freezer because people like you support the ban of generators at home.

In 3 months only God knows what the prayers of people like Mr John must have done to people like you for supporting such evil proposal that brings with it nothing but pain and misery to Nigerians you claim to be fighting for.

If friends na this type then e better make we begin search for enemies one time.

This is beautiful, honestly
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by TCUBE(m): 6:28pm On Jul 21, 2008
dear senator asshol!!, u must have lost your dam mind, dont blame him, the idiot somewhere in abuja with 24hr power supply, who are these senators by the way?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by idupaul: 4:58pm On Jul 22, 2008
hmmm this is really tricky, the senator made some sense cos he feels its because we have generator option thats why we dont go all out to fix the light issue.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by mellow(m): 5:06pm On Jul 22, 2008
Clinton once said that Nigerians do not react to situations,

instead they adjust. A senator who have 24hrs light is

proffering a solution and yet we insult him. In as much as

we have Generators and as long as long as generator importers

will keep bribing and lobying PHCN officials, believe me there will

never be steady power supply.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 8:09pm On Jul 22, 2008
Afam:

@lucabrasi,

i will break my own understanding of the senators statement to you now
1)any mr john who can afford to buy diesel or petrol to run a generator for at least 4/5 times a week is that person an average nigerian?before answering i want you to calculate how much a drum of diesel is and how long you will use it for, the point im etting at is that your"mr john"is more than likely to be in the higher cadre in nigeria.

2)mr john using a fan in a room cannot afford a generating set,and if you are on about the small small ones,it will not last more than a couple of months of constant usage, again my point being your "mr john" doesn not exist in nigeria

;lastly let me use someone else comment because i have said enought already
idupaul:

hmmm this is really tricky, the senator made some sense because he feels its because we have generator option thats why we don't go all out to fix the light issue.
read this, that is what he is getting at and then this,
mellow:

Clinton once said that Nigerians do not react to situations,

instead they adjust. A senator who have 24hrs light is

proffering a solution and yet we insult him. In as much as

we have Generators and as long as long as generator importers

will keep bribing and lobying PHCN officials, believe me there will

never be steady power supply.
its basically saying no pain,no gain,
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by slyk2(m): 3:56pm On Jul 24, 2008
these SENATORS dont have any thing to delibrate on.

so banning of generator is his only way to tackle the power problem?
do you see why we must remain as we are.

shame to you all!
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by stnonymus(m): 5:57pm On Jul 24, 2008
About time we got rid of those noise makers.Argghhhhhhhh! I got one neighbour whose cranky old gen runs through out the night.Enough sound and vibration.Its like having an orchestra of talking drums playing in your skull all night.

"these SENATORS don't have any thing to deliberate on."

Not exactly.They understand that those who make money importing generators will oppose the idea of PHCN(Power Hoarding Company of Nigeria) getting back on its feet. Its amazing how deeply selfish humans can be.

I give them a thumbs up for attempting to eliminating our dependence on those pesky generators.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by TheSly: 6:00pm On Jul 24, 2008
st_nonymus:

About time we got rid of those noise makers.Argghhhhhhhh! I got one neighbour whose cranky old gen runs through out the night.Enough sound and vibration.Its like having an orchestra of talking drums playing in your skull all night.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 6:20pm On Jul 24, 2008
st_nonymus:

"these SENATORS don't have any thing to deliberate on."

Not exactly.They understand that those who make money importing generators will oppose the idea of PHCN(Power Hoarding Company of Nigeria) getting back on its feet. Its amazing how deeply selfish humans can be.

I give them a thumbs up for attempting to eliminating our dependence on those pesky generators.
lol grin grin that was like the first generator we had in my house like in the eighties lol, the sound was like 1 million blacksmiths hammering away all night and after switiching it off your ears will still be ringing grin grin thank GOD for new gen lol
i was almost giving up on people's reasoning faculties
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by stnonymus(m): 8:16pm On Jul 24, 2008
lucabrasi:

lol grin grin that was like the first generator we had in my house like in the eighties lol, the sound was like 1 million blacksmiths hammering away all night and after switiching it off your ears will still be ringing grin grin thank GOD for new gen lol
i was almost giving up on people's reasoning faculties

Geeze! And i thought my case was the worst.lol! man this is serious consolation.lol! grin
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lucabrasi(m): 9:03pm On Jul 24, 2008
st_nonymus:

Geeze! And i thought my case was the worst.lol! man this is serious consolation.lol! grin
lol no worries im sure we r not your neighbours cause we dont have neighbours and we v gotten a new one since like 99 or so before you send some ppl to beat me down lol
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by iukpe: 9:59am On Jul 26, 2008
They should ban the use of generator in Aso rock, govt houses, nepa office and hospitals. No problem with police stations, they no get light before.
Why is the electricity thing such a problem to a country like Nigeria?
First there should be a BAN on politicians having hand in business. Generator importation, Diesel and fuel importation. There should be a BAN first on any politician President, governor or any relatives owning a generator, it will not take 6months we will have electricity every inch of Nigeria.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by adamsy07: 2:08pm On Jul 26, 2008
MY GOD AM LAUGHING MY ASS OUT,
THINGS ARE REALLY HAPPENING BACK HOME,WAT WILL BAN OF GENERATORS DO EVEN IF IT AFFECTS THE RICH DOES THAT MEAN THEY WILL BRING OUT THERE MONEY TO HELP NIGERIA AS A WHOLE.
THESE IS AN ERROR PROPOSAL AND A DISGRACEFUL PROPOSAL FROM A GOVT OFFICIAL.
LATER PEOPLE WILL INSULT PEOPLE LEAVING ABROAD.
IF THERE IS WORLD SLAVE TRADE AGAIN,PEOPLE WILL VOLOUNTIER TO BE SLAVES SO AS TO GET OUT OF NIJER.
, THEY SHOULD WATCH THAT MAN CARFULLY HE IS TRYING TO DAMAGE NIGERIA MORE BY ENCOURAGING TOTAL DARKNESS FOR ARMED ROBBERS TO OPERATE VERY WELL,
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 27, 2008
Can somebody just help me in asking this stupid Senator if he doesn't have a Generating set in his house? angry Even the [b]house of assembly, Presidential villa [/b]and others like that runs on generator.So, somebody should tell him to stop making this useless noise and find a better solution to Nigeria's power problem.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Abbagumel(m): 6:02pm On Jul 27, 2008
Banning of the Generators to me is not an issue. I don't believe anybody using generator is doing it for convenience, rather as a remedy. This is similar to surface tanks in selling petroleum products, as soon as the fuel is available at the filling stations no one buy from surface tanks and hence they disappear and re appear only when there no fuel at the stations. Moreover, I don't believe that we deserve such a punishment from the man elected after promising to declare state of emergency on PHCN when elected.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lightest(m): 8:55pm On Jul 29, 2008
its been long that i replied on this post and will like to make my own contribution on this issue. Have been telling people that the only way if the government are really serious of given us good and stable electricity is by banning the generator importation. if they ban importation of generator, the saboteurs will put there misdeed inside their cloth because they would have realised that they have lost out in the business. if goverment pump 1 billion in PHCN, the generator importation association will pump 2 billion to saboteur knowing fully well that they will make more money. I will forever support the banning of importation of generator
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Mugabe(m): 12:08pm On Jul 30, 2008
is he crazy.with what alternative.what alternative has he made.ask pls in sincerity to his self can he stand 24 hours lights out in his house, abeg you guys should tell to think detailedly before making public ultrances.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by lightest(m): 11:14am On Aug 02, 2008
i think we need to make such real sacrifice, after all we have been making the sacrifice unofficially. But sincerely if they do it the right way we will all benefit from it at the end of the day. But the question is can they?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by samdiboh: 11:58am On Aug 02, 2008
Its high time these men knew that we are not fools in this country of ours.
what does he use in his house.

ODIBOH SAMUEL ODIBOH
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by oloto(m): 4:19pm On Aug 02, 2008
even PHCN will scatter grin
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by KojoAseda(m): 6:29pm On Aug 03, 2008
The Nigerian government needs to ban light off, not generators.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Can I Receive Money To My Naira Mastercard / What Profitable Business Can I Invest 3 Million Naira Into??? / Principle And Machine For Making Commercial Yogurt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.