Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,643 members, 7,823,829 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano (17633 Views)

A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State / Sharia Police Smash 240,000 Bottles Of Beer In Kano / Franck Ribery Furious Over Beer Bath (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by Rednaxelot: 8:08pm On Nov 27, 2013

Police enforcing Islamic law in the city of Kano publicly destroyed some 240,000 bottles of beer on Wednesday, the latest move in a wider crackdown on behaviour deemed “immoral” in the area.

The banned booze had been confiscated from trucks coming into the city in recent weeks, said officials from the Hisbah, the patrol tasked with enforcing the strict Islamic law, known as sharia.

Sharia enforcers called Hisbah destroy thousands of bottles of beer outside northern Nigeria’s largest city of Kano on November 27, 2013. The Hisbah destroyed over 240,000 bottles of beer along with over 8,000 litres of local brew called “Burukutu”. AFP

Kano’s Hisbah chief Aminu Daurawa said at the bottle-breaking ceremony he had “the ardent hope this will bring an end to the consumption of such prohibited substances”.

A large bulldozer smashed the bottles to shouts of “Allahu Ahkbar” (God is Great) from supporters outside the Hisbah headquarters in Kano, the largest city in Nigeria’s mainly Muslim north.

Kegs containing more than 8,000 litres of a local alcoholic brew called “burukutu” and 320,000 cigarettes were also destroyed.

“We hope this measure will help restore the tarnished image of Kano,” said Daurawa.

Since September, the Hisbah have launched sweeping crackdowns and made hundreds of arrests in Kano following a state-government directive to cleanse the commercial hub of so-called “immoral” practices.

The 9,000-strong moral police force works alongside the civilian police but also has other duties, including community development work and dispute resolution.

Sharia was reintroduced across northern Nigeria in 2001, but the code has been unevenly applied.

Alcohol is typically easy to find in Kano, including at hotels and bars in neighbourhoods like Sabon Gari, inhabited by the city’s sizeable Christian minority.

But the Hisbah boss vowed that this was set to change.

“We hereby send warning to unrepentant offenders that Hisbah personnel will soon embark on an operation into every nook and corner of (Kano) state to put an end to the sale and consumption of alcohol and all other intoxicants,” Daurawa said.

People accused of engaging in prostitution and homosexual sex have been among those arrested in the latest crackdown, along with alleged drunks and drug addicts.

Nigeria is divided between a mostly Christian south and a predominately Muslim north.

courtesy

4 Likes

Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 27, 2013
APC power
Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 27, 2013
Bloody hypocrites, who are those drinking it? How about those alcohol they pour in their praying jug...

33 Likes

Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by Rednaxelot: 8:23pm On Nov 27, 2013
This is a very good developement, most especially when it almost killed our President if not for the intervention of London hospital!

24 Likes

Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 27, 2013
when i went to write neco in Bauchi state, i bought beer to tk do my final exam, after d exam i no cee my beer again some Hausa guys don cosumam

10 Likes

Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by MeAboki(m): 8:32pm On Nov 27, 2013
Rednaxelot: This is a very good developement, most especially when it almost killed our President if not for the intervention of London hospital!

KiKiKiKiKi! cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by Jakumo(m): 8:41pm On Nov 27, 2013
No doubt there was a Mujahadeen beer auditor present to make sure that no truck-loads of booze got "lost" on the drive to the bottle-smashing site.

2 Likes

Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by bigx(m): 9:05pm On Nov 27, 2013
lol
Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by checkdate(m): 9:08pm On Nov 27, 2013
N I G E R I A !
Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by tmtech: 9:09pm On Nov 27, 2013
This is wat joblessness cause
Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by Nobody: 9:09pm On Nov 27, 2013
This is unacceptable and should be condemned by all sensible Nigerians. Nigeria is not a theocratic state and the maintenance of islamic police or whatever nomenclature is adopted is unconstitutional.

19 Likes

Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by dulaman: 9:10pm On Nov 27, 2013
i see
Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by shaqoloye(m): 9:12pm On Nov 27, 2013
And they share from the value added tax ( vat) from alcohol consumption. Something is wrong somewhere!!!

11 Likes

Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by frodobee: 9:14pm On Nov 27, 2013
Na so e dey start! Today Hisbah(for purposes of consolidating power) tommorrow it turns to Boko Haram.
Whatch out, this APC tool today will be anti-society tommorrow.
Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by 9jahubcom(m): 9:15pm On Nov 27, 2013
kk
Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by kizito96(m): 9:15pm On Nov 27, 2013
The Government should not give them VAT alocation

3 Likes

Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by Infoman51: 9:16pm On Nov 27, 2013
Good development

1 Like

Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by SBJoji(m): 9:16pm On Nov 27, 2013
Wow! Beer do suffer
Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by Mujah1deen: 9:17pm On Nov 27, 2013
Allahu Akbar

Kwankwaso for president
Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by floxybaby8(f): 9:17pm On Nov 27, 2013
Hmmmmm. Let see hw dis works. Stoping alcohol won't solve the problem

1 Like

Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by Nobody: 9:17pm On Nov 27, 2013
Ok, i hope they clean up the mess when they are finished sha. Make bottle nor go chook person leg cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by slimthugchimee(m): 9:18pm On Nov 27, 2013
So wetin concern us wey be igbo abeg wey mma pat dey abeg give me 4 bottles of gulder and suya mtchwww
Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by Stalwert: 9:19pm On Nov 27, 2013
Rednaxelot: This is a very good developement, most especially when it almost killed our President if not for the intervention of London hospital!

grin grin
Re: Sharia Police Smash Bottles Of Beer In Kano by htconeline: 9:20pm On Nov 27, 2013
Nah. Waaaaaaa dis pipo don want state police.buut dem want sharia ppolice.wen dem cut off dere fellow hand dey send em to south....no bear in nortj but share from d money generated from it.still dem no want state police...well north is d owner of naijeriya cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tallest Man Ever Performed Hajj (pics) / 19th And 20th Of July Are Days For Arafah And Eid Respectively / The Non Muslims Ask Who Created Allaah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.