Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,074 members, 7,957,005 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:15 AM

Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language (45182 Views)

How Can You Marry Someone From An Ethnic Group You Claim To Hate? / Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... / Anioma Is An Ethnic Group - Emeka Esogbue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Afam4eva(m): 2:46pm On Dec 12, 2013
People who speak Igbo in Equitorial Guinea are Igbos who ran away from Nigeria during the Biafran war. Some of them went to Cameroon while some others went to Equitorial guinea. The place with the higheest number of Igbo speaking people in that country is Fernanda Po. My mum told me about the place.
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Sloan: 2:48pm On Dec 12, 2013
ckc: I wont go to any link. I am telling u frm the country's direct site that Igbo is officially recognized and mentioned. Hausa and Yoruba weren't mentioned. That i travel to say USA and decide to speak my native language there is different frm an officially recognized country lanuage. Hausa and Yoruba might be official in some countries but not Equatorial Guinea.

Hmmn, interesting but why not provide the link?

Note that people will speak whatever language they know and I hope your aim is just to start a thread to tell Nigerians that Ibo is spoken EG and nothing more? In any case, there are many more people in EG that Ibos and it's great to see they speak many languages. Here is a sampling of the peoples of EG:

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Nobody: 2:49pm On Dec 12, 2013
drnoel: countries where igbo is officially spoken http://www.joshuaproject.net/peoples.php?peo3=12189

Countries where yoruba is offficially spoken http://www.joshuaproject.net/peoples.php?peo3=16057

countries where hausa is officially spoken http://www.joshuaproject.net/peoples.php?peo3=12070

But the crime rate in the second link is too much!!!!
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Psychedelia(m): 2:49pm On Dec 12, 2013
But their dialect might seem barely intelligible to us in Nigeria.

Still, it's a nice discovery.
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 12, 2013
I also heard 90 percent of equatorial Guineans are Roman Catholics. cool

1 Like

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Cleanman(m): 2:51pm On Dec 12, 2013
Keneking: Igbos are indeed doing well globally
Are you suggesting we do thanksgiving or what?!
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Psychedelia(m): 2:54pm On Dec 12, 2013
Keneking: Igbos are indeed doing well globally

grin LOL.
You again grin
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Sloan: 2:55pm On Dec 12, 2013
I wonder what the standards for FP material are these days? Did anyone notice that a 2-line statement without any verifiable source by the OP was posted and in a jiffy, it's on the FP? Where is the objective source of this information, we shouldn't live by hearsay!
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by sirwilly1(m): 2:55pm On Dec 12, 2013
Hello readers, there is a difference between "officially recognised" and "spoken" languages. That Igbo is one of the officially recognised doesn't mean that people speaking hausa, french, spanish, yoruba don't reside and speak their language there. For all those SW and N regions citizens trying to derail this topic, think twice. If you don't like the topic, it's either you delete your nairaland account or you go and meet the EQ govt to make your language officially recognised. Besides, you find igbo people in US but their language is not officially recognised there.

24 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by condralbede(m): 2:56pm On Dec 12, 2013
Cleanman: Are you suggesting we do thanksgiving or what?!
Go and die...abeg Nah from person mouth I hear am.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Dagah2: 2:57pm On Dec 12, 2013
Pls pals,my nokia phn doesn't open any dwnlded app.anymr,it displays a lock padlock atop d browser page,nokia 2330c.it hppned afta I flashd it..Solutñs pls
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by DocAdray(f): 2:59pm On Dec 12, 2013
Nice to hear & nice to know... Umu-Igbo kwenu!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Sloan: 3:00pm On Dec 12, 2013
sir willy: Hello readers, there is a difference between "officially recognised" and "spoken" languages. That Igbo is one of the officially recognised doesn't mean that people speaking hausa, french, spanish, yoruba don't reside and speak their language there. For all those SW and N regions citizens trying to derail this topic, think twice. If you don't like the topic, it's either you delete your nairaland account or you go and meet the EQ govt to make your language officially recognised. Besides, you find igbo people in US but their language is not officially recognised there.

Where is the source of the information because the OP forgot to post it. Do you have the information? Share if yes.
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by pmc01(m): 3:02pm On Dec 12, 2013
Ok
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by pistol: 3:05pm On Dec 12, 2013
Sloan: I wonder what the standards for FP material are these days? Did anyone notice that a 2-line statement without any verifiable source by the OP was posted and in a jiffy, it's on the FP? Where is the objective source of this information, we shouldn't live by hearsay!

Your hate will consume you.
I now believe this yoruba antagonism towards anything igbo is jealousy and envy.
Tufiakwa.
Why can't you just scroll past if you don't like the news or it makes no meaning to you.
Tufiakwa.
Mind you,
Unbridled Hate kills faster than Aids.

12 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 12, 2013
berem: I also heard 90 percent of equatorial Guineans are Roman Catholics. cool

yea, just like their colonial master...d Spaniards are 94% Catholics.
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Emvin(m): 3:07pm On Dec 12, 2013
Another good news with regards to d language
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Sloan: 3:07pm On Dec 12, 2013
pistol:

Your hate will consume you.
I now believe this yoruba antagonism towards anything igbo is jealousy and envy.
Tufiakwa.
Why can't you just scroll past if you don't like the news or it makes no meaning to you.
Tufiakwa.
Mind you,
Unbridled Hate kills faster than Aids.

Why not post the link if you have it? How is it "hate" to ask for factual data or are you an illiterate, slowpoke dumbass ni?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Alikaxon(m): 3:08pm On Dec 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Nice to hear. How is the dialect? Which of Anambra, Delta Igbo, Imo, Enugu, Abia state dialects does it closely resemble?
It is not delta igbo, It is Agbor language.
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by femliany(m): 3:08pm On Dec 12, 2013
They will soon know that they are not part of them when a muslim president takes over now( Central African Republic)
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Psychedelia(m): 3:08pm On Dec 12, 2013
Sloan:

Note that people will speak whatever language they know and I hope your aim is just to start a thread to tell Nigerians that Ibo is spoken EG and nothing more? In any case, there are many more people in EG that Ibos and it's great to see they speak many languages. Here is a sampling of the peoples of EG:

Somebody's insecurities are eating him alive already. I'll have you know, first of all, that there is a difference between "spoken" and "officially recognized"; because if we'd like to go by your logic of "spoken", then Somali is spoken even in America (Minneapolis to, be exact).
But when you talk about an "Officially recognized" language, then it's an entirely different case - The said language is listed in the country's official database.

Although we can't have that for now, I hope this should help a little:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_guinea
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by captainbaroni(m): 3:10pm On Dec 12, 2013
Dats a nice one
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by bigfrancis21: 3:11pm On Dec 12, 2013
Sloan:

Nobody is saying that other Nigerian languages are not also spoken in EG by Nigerian immigrants. They are, however, only Igbo out of all of them is officially recognized by the government of EG as a national language.

Its a simple logic.

You asked for a link, have it:

Languages of Equatorial Guinea:

Igbo language is a recognized language of EG.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Languages_of_Equatorial_Guinea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Languages_of_Equatorial_Guinea

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by bigfrancis21: 3:12pm On Dec 12, 2013
Sloan:

Where is the source of the information because the OP forgot to post it. Do you have the information? Share if yes.

Have the link you requested for:

Languages of Equatorial Guinea:

Igbo language is a recognized language of EG.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Languages_of_Equatorial_Guinea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Languages_of_Equatorial_Guinea

1 Like

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Farmafric(m): 3:13pm On Dec 12, 2013
I met someone in Equatorial Guinea in 2007 who told me that he is an Ibo and have never been to Nigeria. According to him, they were among the children and now their children of those evacuated to Gabon during the war. There were also Ibos that were born by Nigerian Parent without marrying their mothers before Nigerians were evacuated in 1976 by Muritala. Ojukwu actually threatened to annex Malabo if he had won the war. Malabo is on the bight of biafra, if you know what that means
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by mrperfect(m): 3:14pm On Dec 12, 2013
Well that is good
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by bigfrancis21: 3:16pm On Dec 12, 2013
Alikaxon: It is not delta igbo, It is Agbor language.

Delta Igbo has several dialects within it. From Asaba Igbo, to Oshimili Igbo, to Ogwashi Ukwu Igbo, to Ika Igbo, to Ukwuani Igbo, to Ndokwa Igbo. All these are Igbo dialects.

Moreover there's nothing like 'Agbor language'. Don't be an embodiment of ignorance.

17 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Onyenna(m): 3:17pm On Dec 12, 2013
K....
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by POPEII: 3:18pm On Dec 12, 2013
Not official but recognized. The official languages are French, spanish and Fang .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Did You Called This Animal In Your Local Language ? (pictures ) / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? / Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment ....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.