Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,277 members, 7,954,097 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:19 PM

Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language (45176 Views)

How Can You Marry Someone From An Ethnic Group You Claim To Hate? / Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... / Anioma Is An Ethnic Group - Emeka Esogbue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Toppiano(m): 3:18pm On Dec 12, 2013
salo sibo?
kambili999: ama salo ni
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by POPEII: 3:19pm On Dec 12, 2013
berem: I also heard 90 percent of equatorial Guineans are Roman Catholics. cool
actually it 98% cool the rest are pagans
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by POPEII: 3:20pm On Dec 12, 2013
POPE II: Not official but recognized. The official languages are French, spanish and Fang .
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by obi123: 3:22pm On Dec 12, 2013
omonla555: What has that got to do with me, Yoruba language is spoken in the carribeans

what has that go to do with the topic which clearly states "Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language"

7 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Malachy27: 3:23pm On Dec 12, 2013
Yes i love this igbo language is gud unlike yoruba gbati gbati intonation... So difficult 2comprehend....

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Afam4eva(m): 3:25pm On Dec 12, 2013
POPE II: Not official but recognized. The official languages are French, spanish and Fang .
Are3 you ignorant that you don't know the meaning of "Officially recognized"?
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Sloan: 3:26pm On Dec 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Nobody is saying that other Nigerian languages are not also spoken in EG by Nigerian immigrants. They are, however, only Igbo out of all of them is officially recognized by the government of EG as a national language.

Its a simple logic.

You asked for a link, have it:

Languages of Equatorial Guinea:

Igbo language is a recognized language of EG.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Languages_of_Equatorial_Guinea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Languages_of_Equatorial_Guinea

Sorry, that is NOT an objective source! I mean a link from the page of the government of Equitorial Guinea? Are there human beings who still do not know that Wikipedia is edited by anyone who has something to add, so you can basically write anything, and that is often you will see "citation needed" for any key facts you mention? This is why Wikipedia is NEVER accepted as source in any thesis in any standard university on the planet and I schooled in North America, NOT UNIVERSITY professor or supervisor will ever accept a source from Wikipedia! While I was in Ife, you could never cite a source on Wikipedia so, NO it is NOT an official source!

I had already seen the Wikipedia entry but I gave you folks too much credit that you would be smart enough not to cite it as an "official" source!
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Lilimax(f): 3:27pm On Dec 12, 2013
Toppiano:
salo sibo?
Salo si Equitorial Guinea embarassed
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by POPEII: 3:27pm On Dec 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
my statement was general before some of us start beating their chests. Igbo is only recognized and is not an official language in GE . You don't need to insult me chilax smiley

1 Like

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by POPEII: 3:29pm On Dec 12, 2013
Sloan:

Sorry, that is NOT an objective source! I mean a link from the page of the government of Equitorial Guinea? Are there human beings who still do not know that Wikipedia is edited by anyone who has something to add, so you can basically write anything, and that is often you will see "citation needed" for any key facts you mention? This is why Wikipedia is NEVER accepted as source in any thesis in any standard university on the planet and I schooled in North America, NOT UNIVERSITY professor or supervisor will ever accept a source from Wikipedia! While I was in Ife, you could never cite a source on Wikipedia so, NO it is NOT an official source!

I had already seen the Wikipedia entry but I gave you folks too much credit that you would be smart enough not to cite it as an "official" source!

Exactly: there's no igbo version of their constitution, national anthem etc . Igbo is just a lingua franca in the markets .that's all
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Afam4eva(m): 3:30pm On Dec 12, 2013
POPE II: my statement was general before some of us start beating their chests. Igbo is only recognized and is not an official language in GE . You don't need to insult me chilax smiley
I'm insulting your ignorance and not you and you don't want to repent. Show us where the OP mentioned Igbo being an official language?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Sloan: 3:30pm On Dec 12, 2013
Afam4eva:

Where is the official recognition because I hope you don't mean to pass an entry in Wikipedia as "official". You are a moderator, so you should be less ignorant that Wikipedia is NEVER an objective source of information! Yes, you could use it as a quick source of information you need to find out in a hurry but you can never cite it as official. So, show me a source from the government of EG if you have it. If not, this post is thrash and gross misinformation! It is at best an attempt to falsely inflate the ego of the average emotional Ibo who panders to his frail emotions than facts. Now show me a real link and put this issue to rest oh moderator because you certainly know better than to put a topic on the FP when it clearly provided no objective information!

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by POPEII: 3:32pm On Dec 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm insulting your ignorance and not you and you don't want to repent. Show us where the OP mentioned Igbo being an official language?
you probably missed the part where I said my statement was general did I tell u I was answering the op ? Did I quote him ? Anuofia
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Afam4eva(m): 3:33pm On Dec 12, 2013
Sloan:

Can you show me proof that idoma is recognized as a Nigerian language?

7 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Sloan: 3:33pm On Dec 12, 2013
POPE II:

Exactly: there's no igbo version of their constitution, national anthem etc . Igbo is just a lingua franca in the markets .that's all

I get your point but it can never be lingua franca when they do not even constitute a majority of the population! In a market, you speak the language the buyer wants and is comfortable speaking and not the other way around! Ask for a link, goddamnit, don't just believe everything you read! Wikipedia is NOT a link, I can go right there and add "Fuckall" as a language there and come to post that BS on NL!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by 1shortblackboy: 3:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
Igbo people! Una don give ikwerre and delta people some break una don start with Equitorial Guinea. Now its Igbo is oficially recorgnised d next tin will be d people of Equitorial Guinea are all igbos ! No be this nairaland again ? That thread is coming.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by POPEII: 3:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
Igbo over there are traders and fishermen they control the markets and fishing areas. Igbo is only needed in those situations . You better Learn spanish and not igbo if you want to prosper in GE

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Sloan: 3:37pm On Dec 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
Can you show me proof that idoma is recognized as a Nigerian language?

This is not about Idoma or Nigeria: show me from the official source of the government of EG that Ibo is an officially recognized language! If you can't say it plainly, and if you can't this thread is a gross mis-information, a total disservice to NL and everyone who might have learned wrongly and not probed for the truth. Tell me directly, here is the link: www....! Show me now!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 12, 2013
Afam4eva don enter yawa. Lol Lol grin

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by POPEII: 3:43pm On Dec 12, 2013
Sloan:

I get your point but it can never be lingua franca when they do not even constitute a majority of the population! In a market, you speak the language the buyer wants and is comfortable speaking and not the other way around! Ask for a link, goddamnit, don't just believe everything you read! Wikipedia is NOT a link, I can go right there and add "Fuckall" as a language there and come to post that BS on NL!
true , I have been blindfolded by the hype .lol
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:57pm On Dec 12, 2013
Equatorial Guinea is a no man's land.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:02pm On Dec 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're the one that don't understand it. It is now "officially recognized", were people arrested for speaking it when it was not officially recognized?
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Sloan: 4:04pm On Dec 12, 2013
django1: Afam4eva don enter yawa. Lol Lol grin

Notice Afam4Eva and NO IBO has responded with official sources (not Wikipedia editable by anyone with a computer), yet he (or whatever ignorant person) took this to the FP to misinform people! This is a service to his fellow Ibos who are usually quick to jump on things like these without hardly thinking or asking any probing questions. Up till now, they've not responded but they will term you a "hater" for not being a sheep led around by the nose!

Afam, I'm still waiting for your link. Pistol, you are already seeing my asking you to show me factual data as "hatred" but that won't make this question go away! I wonder why Seun allows NL to continually depreciate in quality by the quality of debate and information on this forum. It was not so in the beginning!

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:04pm On Dec 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:07pm On Dec 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're the one that don't understand it. It is now "officially recognized", were people arrested for speaking it when it was not officially recognized?
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Seth89(m): 4:09pm On Dec 12, 2013
what is special about Equitorial Guinea?
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Sloan: 4:12pm On Dec 12, 2013
Seth89: what is special about Equitorial Guinea?

No man, don't make it about EG (though I get your point). Check the distribution of the people of EG, you will see that there are lots of people there who are in higher numbers. But let us keep this on point until the "official" source is provided from the government of EG.
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by ceejayluv(m): 4:12pm On Dec 12, 2013
omonla555: What has that got to do with me, Yoruba language is spoken in the carribeans
This is no ethnic d|ick measuring contest. The news is just for enlightenment purposes.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Nobody: 4:17pm On Dec 12, 2013
sir willy: Hello readers, there is a difference between "officially recognised" and "spoken" languages. That Igbo is one of the officially recognised doesn't mean that people speaking hausa, french, spanish, yoruba don't reside and speak their language there. For all those SW and N regions citizens trying to derail this topic, think twice. If you don't like the topic, it's either you delete your nairaland account or you go and meet the EQ govt to make your language officially recognised. Besides, you find igbo people in US but their language is not officially recognised there.
Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 12, 2013
grow up n stop tribalism.....the intentions of this trade was not to compare Igbo n Yoruba

7 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 12, 2013
Alikaxon: It is not delta igbo, It is Agbor language.

U and this agbor again!
E ji agbor faa gi eze?
@ OP, this is not news. I have always known that.
Am not sure whether its in the official languages of Cameroun, Central African republic but Igbo is well spoken there

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Officially Recognized In Equatorial Guinea As An Ethnic Language by POPEII: 4:30pm On Dec 12, 2013
ngozievergreen:

U and this agbor again!
E ji agbor faa gi eze?
@ OP, this is not news. I have always known that.
Am not sure whether its in the official languages of Cameroun, Central African republic but Igbo is well spoken there
ndi ara

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... / What Did You Called This Animal In Your Local Language ? (pictures ) / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.