Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing - Religion (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing (31212 Views)

A Theological Discuss On Tithing By Rhymeyjohn, Image123, Mark Miwerds & Candour / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches / List Of People I Saw Going to Hell: Footballers & Fans, Musicians, Non-Tithers.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by seemylife: 2:28pm On Dec 22, 2013
rudedough:

An Atheist does not believe in the existence of God, devil, holy spirit, Jesus and any other superstition or religion.

We believe your preferred superstition exists only in your head and religionists are prisoners of their own imagination and creation.

Thank you for your definition and explanation of who an atheist is but that was not what I asked you.

My question was about you as a person and not who an atheist is.
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 22, 2013
seemylife:

Thank you for your definition and explanation of who an atheist is but that was not asked you.

My question was about you as a person and not who an atheist is.

cheesy cheesy If A = B, isn't it logical to say that B = A?

If an Atheist does not believe in superstition, isn't it logical to say that Rudedough (An Atheist) does not believe in Superstitions? grin grin
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by seemylife: 3:41pm On Dec 22, 2013
rudedough:

cheesy cheesy If A = B, isn't it logical to say that B = A?

If an Atheist does not believe in superstition, isn't it logical to say that Rudedough (An Atheist) does not believe in Superstitions? grin grin

I admire your intelligence and logical reasoning but my question was a yes or no one and I don't think it required a brilliant display of your intelligence. Cheers tho...
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 7:57pm On Dec 22, 2013
rudedough:

grin grin Sure i'll love to but on what basics are we going to be having this discussion?

You don't expect an Atheist to disprove Theism using Bible / Qur'an scriptures do you? cheesy cheesy I am very conversant in both the Bible and Qur'an but in reality there's not much to discuss on Atheism - Theism, cos all an Atheist is going to be talking about is the lack of realistic proof while the Religionist will refer to his doctrine as proof. angry

It's going to be a back and forth discussion with no logical conclusion. However, i am still open to any discussion on Atheism.

Thank you rudedough for taking up the challenge. I will open the thread now and refer you to it ASAP.

The basis of the discussion may not change your perspective on Theism. I think it will be really just to understand it.

In this tithe discuss your contribution biblically have been sound and I would love to know where that came from. I will also try to be open to your questions to me as much as the anonymous privilege of this forum can afford.

At the heart of the discuss really is to bring you to faith in the Living Jesus. But I will not force anything on you; I will not condemn you; I respect atheist a great deal bc I think they are closer to God than many who merely profess religion with the lips. One thing i am sure to gain from the discuss is a better understanding of atheist and a probably a better way to minister to them as a Christian.

1 Like

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 8:09pm On Dec 22, 2013
^^^ Thread opened:

https://www.nairaland.com/1565571/inviting-rudedough-discussion-god

Looking forward to your response.
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 3:31am On Dec 30, 2013
Image123:

RESPONSE TO REBUTTAL R5

We expect and do hope that our discussion would be progressive and that we are learning from one another in these discusses. i believe that the aim of the discussion is to clear the air and straighten views on why we all do what we do. When we keep going to the back, like we've not being clear or touched on certain things, it shows that we are either not paying attention, or we are not learning. Now to the response, we find it contradictory and incongruent with scriptures for our fellows to say that Christ did not tithe, and yet insist that tithe is of the law.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

Scriptures clearly teach that Jesus Christ did not break any of God's commands but was sinless. If indeed sin is the transgression of the law(1John3v4), we make bold to say that Jesus NEVER transgressed the law.
1Pe 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

This text (Matthew 5:17) is one of the most abused text by the law keepers and those who promote the mosaic law along with Grace for the new testament Christians. In the time of life, I will open or start a new thread showing how this verse is grossly misinterpreted and taken out of context to support law teachings in this dispensation.

I will also show how Christ broke the law and yet, he did not sin - sin is the transgression of the law but when a law doesn't exist, nothing is broken\transgressed. Image123 and his quote above is one of those who promote mosaic law along with the Gospel of Grace and as such, dilute the message of Grace and the Apostolic teachings.

3 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 6:33am On Dec 30, 2013
@ Goshen

I am a so called anti-tither but I cringed when I read Candour say that Christ did not tithe. I think a better way of putting it is that there are no records of Jesus tithing in the NT. If tithing was meant for people involved with agriculture, it makes sense to say that Christ did not tithe since he was a carpenter; but still it is safer to say there were no records of Jesus tithing than saying out rightly he did not tithe. I knew that Candour and Miwerds had opened up an opportunity for tithers to key into in making that statement and I am just going to watch and see how they come out of this.

On a prophetic note, however, we can say Christ tithed. How? Jesus was born from the tribe of Judah. Judah was in Abraham's loins when Abraham gave a tithe to Melchizedek. If Levi is said to have tithed in this manner in Hebrew 7, we can definitely say that prophetically Jesus also tithed. That, I believe is the way our Lord fulfilled the law of tithing and probably did not tithe physically while on earth. I use "probably" because we cannot say authoritatively if he tithed or he did not tithe as there are no records of that in scripture. But certainly he tithed in Abraham. Having fulfilled this law of tithing, however, we have no other law of tithing to keep today. The same way he fulfilled all other laws Moses of and we no longer keep them today.

I believe the discuss in getting more and more interesting...
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by Nobody: 2:26pm On Dec 30, 2013
Goshen360:

This text (Matthew 5:17) is one of the most abused text by the law keepers and those who promote the mosaic law along with Grace for the new testament Christians. In the time of life, I will open or start a new thread showing how this verse is grossly misinterpreted and taken out of context to support law teachings in this dispensation.

I will also show how Christ broke the law and yet, he did not sin - [size=16pt]sin is the transgression of the law but when a law doesn't exist, nothing is broken\transgressed.[/size] Image123 and his quote above is one of those who promote mosaic law along with the Gospel of Grace and as such, dilute the message of Grace and the Apostolic teachings.
The enlarge is a misnomer. I understand where you are coming from. Lemme quote it here.

KJV Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

This verse is traditionally interpreted to mean that the "Law" was given at Mount Sinai until the coming of the Messiah. After the death of the Messiah on the tree, the "law" loses its purpose.

Is this really what Paul was trying to explain in Galatians 3:19 ?

WAS THE LAW ADDED BECAUSE OF TRANSGRESSIONS?

In order to understand whether is makes sense to interpret these words to mean that the LAW was ADDED because of TRANSGRESSIONS, we need to realize several things.

Is is possible for the law to be added because of transgressions?

WHAT IS TRANSGRESSION?

KJV 1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

SIN = TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW

IF the LAW was ADDED BECAUSE of TRANSGRESSION then it is NOT possible to sin! You can't ever transgress / sin if the law didn't exist prior to Mount Sinai because sin is the transgression of the law (I John 3:4). Therefore the LAW could NOT have been added BECAUSE of TRANSGRESSION because the law needs to exist in order to sin which is the transgression of the law (I John 3:4).
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
The law had to exist before Adam could transgressed it. And that was why Adam sinned.

The proper context of what Paul was saying in Gal 3:19 is:

GOD'S WORD® Translation
What, then, is the purpose of the laws given to Moses?They were added to identify what wrongdoing is . Moses' laws did this until the descendant to whom the promise was given came to Abraham. It was put into effect through angels, using a mediator.
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 5:24pm On Dec 30, 2013
Bidam: The enlarge is a misnomer. I understand where you are coming from. Lemme quote it here.

KJV Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

This verse is traditionally interpreted to mean that the "Law" was given at Mount Sinai until the coming of the Messiah. After the death of the Messiah on the tree, the "law" loses its purpose.

Is this really what Paul was trying to explain in Galatians 3:19 ?

WAS THE LAW ADDED BECAUSE OF TRANSGRESSIONS?

In order to understand whether is makes sense to interpret these words to mean that the LAW was ADDED because of TRANSGRESSIONS, we need to realize several things.

Is is possible for the law to be added because of transgressions?

WHAT IS TRANSGRESSION?

KJV 1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

SIN = TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW

IF the LAW was ADDED BECAUSE of TRANSGRESSION then it is NOT possible to sin! You can't ever transgress / sin if the law didn't exist prior to Mount Sinai because sin is the transgression of the law (I John 3:4). Therefore the LAW could NOT have been added BECAUSE of TRANSGRESSION because the law needs to exist in order to sin which is the transgression of the law (I John 3:4).

Bidam,

Thank God you cannot re-write the bible. This is what the bible says:

KJV. Galatians 3:19 - Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

As you had rightly quoted at first. And even in the bid to twist the scripture, your resort to modern translations, whose authors' integrity no one knows, the scripture still says the same things. Quoting your version:

GOD'S WORD® Translation
What, then, is the purpose of the laws given to Moses?They were added to identify what wrongdoing is . Moses' laws did this until the descendant to whom the promise was given came to Abraham. It was put into effect through angels, using a mediator.

Whichever way you look at it, the scripture says the same thing and meant the "traditional" meaning as you have rightly stated in the begining:

Bidam:

And not this twisted meaning of yours:

Bidam:

Whether you appropriate it or not, the blessing of the NT is that there is a generation that do not live by the laws of Moses anymore; there transgression has been blotted out; I dare to say they live "above the law". Yes, there is the law of God imprinted on their heart and with the help of the Spirit they will bear fruits in love; but they are a generation who transgression and sin have been blotted out.

Let us not derail the thread. It is about tithing and discussing the discuss going on in the discuss thread.

I will leave you alone; Goshen will come and handle you for daring to quote him.

Have you ever read these verses in your bible (1 Timothy 1):

7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

Oops some want to teach the law but lack understanding of its true purpose - saith Paul not me!

8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

I am sure you came across where Candour and Miwerd did justice to this verse in the discuss. If you will use the law; use it lawfully. Don't turn something agricultural to be given to Levithes to something monetary to be given to Pastor and still call it tithe! Use the law lawfully!

9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient,

This is where I am going with all the gist. The law is not made for the righteous. The one who is made righteous by faith in Christ. It is made for:

for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Are you any of the above that you are so concerned about this law?

I trust you are getting the drift. Now consider:

11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

There is a glorious gospel. It is the gospel of God's grace to man. It says there has been an end to the law that there may be no transgression for the righteous. Yes, we are called to good works but this glorious gospel has blessed us with something beyond what we can earn with our good works.

My prayer is that you understand these things... after years of discussing them with you.

1 Like

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 5:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
There is only one thing Bidam has not done, which I believe he will still do on this forum.

Bidam has not told us that Paul is not an inspired author of scriptures.

A lot of people propagate this false truth but Bidam has not joined them. But at the rate in which he is going twisting Paul's writing, re-defining "traditional" or orthodox meaning of scriptures, the next thing is to deny that Paul was inspired.

By that time, I am sure I will not even respond to him anymore on this forum.

QED!

1 Like

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by PastorKun(m): 6:03pm On Dec 30, 2013
DrummaBoy: There is only one thing Bidam has not done, which I believe he will still do on this forum.

Bidam has not told us that Paul is not an inspired author of scriptures.

A lot of people propagate this false truth but Bidam has not joined them. But at the rate in which he is going twisting Paul's writing, re-defining "traditional" or orthodox meaning of scriptures, the next thing is to deny that Paul was inspired.

By that time, I am sure I will not even respond to him anymore on this forum.

QED!

I wonder why people bother to join issues with bidam on this forum, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that he is a notorious scripture twister and a fraud as far as tithes is concerned. I stopped reading/ responding to his comments since.

1 Like

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 6:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
DrummaBoy: @ Goshen

I am a so called anti-tither but I cringed when I read Candour say that Christ did not tithe. I think a better way of putting it is that there are no records of Jesus tithing in the NT. If tithing was meant for people involved with agriculture, it makes sense to say that Christ did not tithe since he was a carpenter; but still it is safer to say there were no records of Jesus tithing than saying out rightly he did not tithe. I knew that Candour and Miwerds had opened up an opportunity for tithers to key into in making that statement and I am just going to watch and see how they come out of this.

And they did come out of it with this excellent explanation from Candour:

To use Matt 5:17 as proof that Jesus had to have tithed is proven to be fallacious. Jesus kept only the ordinances that pertained to Him. Some of the ordinances could not apply to Him. He was not a sinner, so He did not need to go to the Temple yearly with a sin offering. To take one to the Temple, He would be professing Himself a sinner and therefore unworthy to be the needed Sacrifice for the Redemption of mankind. A woman, after giving birth, was required to go to the Temple with sacrifices. Christ was not a woman, so that particular ordinance did not pertain to Him. Likewise, the tithe ordinance did not pertain to Him because he wasn’t a farmer nor a herder. We will remind our brothers again that NOT ALL PRACTICES IN THE BIBLE AUTOMATICALLY APPLY TO CHRISTIANS because the cross made and still makes a very big difference.

2 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
Candour: RESPONSE TO RESPONSE R5

Christ DID NOT pay tithes and he broke no law by this simply because the law of tithes DID NOT apply to him [size=16pt]since he was a carpenter (Mark 6:3), NOT a farmer or a herder.[/size] The ordinance of tithing did not and could not apply to Him. The ordinance of tithing clearly revealed what it was that God required to be tithed under the Law.

The bitter truth pill that antitithers refused to swallow is that God did not specifically say in sacred scriptures that ONLY a farmer or a herder is to tithe. I have not yet seen one scripture where God defines the occupation of a tither. This are the vain imaginations of antithers. They quote lev 27 to force a definition on it that since God says whether which is actually a conjunction ALTERNATIVE BTW of grains,seeds,oil,wine,fruits,and herds, it automatically means only farmers and shepherd are to tithes. This is an erroneous assumptions and gross misrepresentation and misinterpretation of scriptures. This was my argument with zikkyy in trustman's threads consuming 3 pages back and forth.

Leviticus 27:30-34 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD. And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof. And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD. He shall not search whether it be good or bad, neither shall he change it: and if he change it at all, then both it and the change thereof shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed. These are the commandments, which the LORD commanded Moses for the children of Israel in mount Sinai.

You can see that true to his calling Candour quoted this scripture above to buttress my point, Can anyone please point out where farmers and herders were written in that scripture? I guess not. grin

It is just like quoting a scripture like this one below:

Leviticus 12:2-6, "Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean. And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised. And she shall then continue in the blood of her purifying three and thirty days; she shall touch no hallowed thing, nor come into the sanctuary, until the days of her purifying be fulfilled. But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days. And when the days of her purifying are fulfilled, for a son, or for a daughter, she shall bring a lamb of the first year for a burnt offering, and a young pigeon, or a turtledove, for a sin offering, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, unto the priest."

Our friends will now tell us may be a woman who delivers a male child should be a herds-woman or bird-catcher or the husband is a herdsman or poultry owner since the offering defined here is a lamb and a young pigeon as purification. Can you guys see the irony of what i was saying grin

Since it was on record that Joseph and Mary dedicated Jesus at the temple and we know Joseph to be a carpenter, it can also be logically deduced or inferred that Joseph a carpenter paid his tithes.

Luke 2:22-24. "And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord; (As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lordwink And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.

To make matters even worse for antithers, they fail to consider a very important point in Malachi.

MALACHI 3:9 You are cursed with a curse: for you have robbed me, [size=16pt]even this whole nation.[/size]

So what they are saying here is that the whole nation of Israel according to Malachi are only farmers and shepherds.. grin

1 Like

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 30, 2013
DrummaBoy:

Bidam,

Thank God you cannot re-write the bible. This is what the bible says:

KJV. Galatians 3:19 - Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

As you had rightly quoted at first. And even in the bid to twist the scripture, your resort to modern translations, whose authors' integrity no one knows, the scripture still says the same things. Quoting your version:

GOD'S WORD® Translation

Whichever way you look at it, the scripture says the same thing and meant the "traditional" meaning as you have rightly stated in the begining:

And not this twisted meaning of yours:

Whether you appropriate it or not, the blessing of the NT is that there is a generation that do not live by the laws of Moses anymore; there transgression has been blotted out; I dare to say they live "above the law". Yes, there is the law of God imprinted on their heart and with the help of the Spirit they will bear fruits in love; but they are a generation who transgression and sin have been blotted out.

Let us not derail the thread. It is about tithing and discussing the discuss going on in the discuss thread.

I will leave you alone; Goshen will come and handle you for daring to quote him.

Have you ever read these verses in your bible (1 Timothy 1):

7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

Oops some want to teach the law but lack understanding of its true purpose - saith Paul not me!

8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

I am sure you came across where Candour and Miwerd did justice to this verse in the discuss. If you will use the law; use it lawfully. Don't turn something agricultural to be given to Levithes to something monetary to be given to Pastor and still call it tithe! Use the law lawfully!

9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient,

This is where I am going with all the gist. The law is not made for the righteous. The one who is made righteous by faith in Christ. It is made for:

for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Are you any of the above that you are so concerned about this law?

I trust you are getting the drift. Now consider:

11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

There is a glorious gospel. It is the gospel of God's grace to man. It says there has been an end to the law that there may be no transgression for the righteous. Yes, we are called to good works but this glorious gospel has blessed us with something beyond what we can earn with our good works.

My prayer is that you understand these things... after years of discussing them with you.
Please do go back and read Exodus..God gave the Law to Moses in Exodus 20 before Israel transgressed in Exodus 32.
the LAW wasn't NOT ADDED BECAUSE of TRANSGRESSIONS because the law has to exist in order to sin / transgress (Sin = Transgression of the law) (I John 3:4)

What is the TRANSGRESSION that CAUSED something to be ADDED?

It was the sin of the golden calf.

KJV Exodus 32:19 And it came to pass, as soon as he came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the calf, and the dancing: and Moses' anger waxed hot, and he cast the tables out of his hands, and brake them beneath the mount.

KJV Exodus 32:26 Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the LORD'S side? let him come unto me. And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him.

CONTEXT .... CONTEXT ..... CONTEXT

KJV Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law?

Law = Levitical Priesthood

KJV Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions ...

The Levitical priesthood was added because of the sin of the golden calf.

THE LEVITICAL PRIESTHOOD WAS OUR TUTOR TO BRING US TO MESSIAH.

KJV Galatians 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

The law = Levitical Priesthood which was added because of the transgression of the golden calf

MESSIAH IS A PRIEST AFTER THE ORDER OF MELCHEZEDEK

KJV Hebrews 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

KJV Hebrews 7:12 For the priesthood being changed ...

KJV Hebrews 7:14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

KJV Hebrews 7:17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

KJV Hebrews 7:22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 9:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
Bidam:

KJV Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions ...

The Levitical priesthood was added because of the sin of the golden calf.

- Drummaboy

THE LEVITICAL PRIESTHOOD WAS OUR TUTOR TO BRING US TO MESSIAH.

KJV Galatians 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

The law = Levitical Priesthood which was added because of the transgression of the golden calf

I have said it that the only thing left is for you to prove that Paul was not an inspired author of scripture. Until then...

I have no further comments on this matter.

1 Like

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by trustman: 8:45pm On Dec 31, 2013
Mark & Candour are doing a good job at clearly bringing out the truth about tithing. There are so many unanswered questions by our pro-tithe brethren:

If the apostles DID NOT collect tithes, who gave the RIGHT to pastors of today to collect tithes from anybody? Where is the moral standing for them to condemn any child of God to hell because he/she refuses to submit 10% of his/her income to them? When the apostles whom God used to establish Christianity KNEW they had NO RIGHT under heaven to collect or ask for it and therefore DID NOT COLLECT OR ASK FOR IT?

Our brothers state that “we are the Israel of God,” and we wonder if pastors have become the Levites in this Israel of God? I trust our brothers are good bible students (we all are bible students) and would know or should know about the coming kingdom when Christ will reign physically here on earth? It’s beyond the scope of this discussion but when they quote Isaiah 66, we expect them to know that it’s still a very future dispensation. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH US NOW.

A fitting conclusion to this section by them is also worth stating:

Tithes belong in the law of Moses. Our brothers agree that we are not under the law. They should therefore stop picking convenient practices from the law, but more importantly, they should stop panel beating the law to suit whatever use they wish to put it to. The apostles set the example of freewill offerings and that is what Christ himself taught them when he sent them out to preach. He asked them to receive whatsoever people gave them, he didn’t ask them to collect tithes because he knew better and we know that too today. If Christ didn’t need it, neither do we. If the apostles and the early church didn’t need it, neither do we.

5 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 12:49pm On Jan 01, 2014
In addition to what trustman has written above :

I wish to respond to Image123's Rebuttal M5 by making comments on three issues, even though Candour has done a good job at responding to it already:

1. The matter of tithing getting its definition as agricultural produce or food.

2. The historical account on tithing and the need to quote BC and AD

3. Free will Giving.

1. The Tithe Definition

Image and his partner have gone a great length to argue that it is wrong to limit the definition of the tithe to agricultural products since tithes were given by Abram and possibly by Jacob and those included things other than agric products. The first time we would hear the God of all the earth mention tithe is in Leviticus 27. In the Genesis account were tithes were given by Abram and Jacob there is no account of God instructing them to give the tithe. We see that the tithe that Abram gave was in keeping with the tradition of his time to give a tenth of war spoils to Kings or Priest; and from Hebrew 7 we see that that action was a prophetic act that will help us understand Christ as one with a Priesthood of the order of Melchizedek: a priesthood greater than that of Aaron. As for Jacob's account of tithing, there is no evidence that he gave the tithe he promised. And in two incidences after that account, there is no reference made to the tithe Jacob promised to give. In Genesis 35:1,10-15, God again appears to Jacob and recalls the incidence at Luz were Jacob had made the promise to God. In all of the account in that scripture, there is no where God reminded him to tithe. Rather God recounted his promise to him and the fact that he will meet it - an example of grace. In Genesis 48: 3-4, Jacob recount again this incidence at Luz but he didn't say anything about his promising to tithe, how he kept his promises or otherwise. Rather, he spoke of the grace of God and how God has kept his word up till that time. That was the purpose of the encounter at Luz: for God to reveal his grace to Jacob and for him to receive it with thanksgiving. Rather, like Peter on the mount, who thought he could build shelter for Jesus and the prophets revealed, Jacob also felt he could trade with God. "Bless me and I will tithe, etc." At the end of the day, Jacob realized that it was all God and none of him.

It was not until Leviticus 27:30-33, that we see God mention tithing and it was under the context of the laws given by Moses:

30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD. 31 And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof. 32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD. 33 He shall not search whether it be good or bad, neither shall he change it: and if he change it at all, then both it and the change thereof shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.

Since up till now, God had not spoken of a tithe and all the tithe given by the patriachs in a dispensation different from that of Moses were very much like free will offerings, the description above, which is the first mention of tithe from God's lip, is the safest to call a definition of the tithe. And from Leviticus 27 we see a couple of things that God will call his tithe:

a. The tithe is the Lord's and it is holy.
b. The tithe is to be taken from the seed of the land or the herd of the flock.
c. As, we will see in Numbers 18:21, this tithe is to be given to the Levites.

This is the reason the tithe is defined using Leviticus 27. And all through scripture from this point on, the tithe remained agric products until sometimes in the 19th century when it became monetary.

The Issue of BC or AD:

Christianity did not start in our time. Christianity did not start with the Azuza street revival and Pentecostals need to know these truth. Christianity has a history. It started with the death and resurrection of Christ. The record of the apostle ended in Revelation but Christianity did not end there. There have been milestones in the Christian Church and good bible students need to learn Church History to be able to teach scriptures correctly. For example, Jesus spoke of the destruction of the temple in Matthew 24. In AD 70 that prophecy came to pass. It helped confirm the teaching of the apostles in Hebrew 7:12 that with a change of priesthood will come a change of law - the priesthood having changed, its activities were brought to an end with the destruction of the temple. History shows that with the dispersing of the Jews into Gentile nations following that event, the Judaistic religion suffered a decline and tithing was worst hit. In fact no Jew tithes today. We can conclude from this that that event, in which the temple was destroyed, was God's providential means of ending the levitical priesthood, the law that sustained it and the practice of tithing. Why do we wish to re-enact it today?

Another issue is this: when tithe was mentioned in the NT, everyone knew that it was tithing according to the law and not Abraham or Jacob's kind of tithing. They knew it was based on the definition above, agric products, and Jesus' comments on tithing Matthew 23:23 confirms this. By the time of the apostles no one could collect such tithes from the disciples in the church for obvious reasons: based on this same definition. Even Jesus would have broken the law to collect tithes in his earthly sojourn. However by the time the Catholic Church will re-enact it in the 6th century they defined the tithe based on agric products only, and not money. It was not until the 19th Century that American preachers popularized the tithes as monetary.

So there is simply no way to talk about tithing without tracing its history. This is the reason why Candour and Miiwerds mention it. For Image to simply choose to discard all these historical accounts is probably because it helps jettison the monetary tithes that is fraudulently or ignorantly collected in many churches today.

3. Free Will Giving

Following the death and Resurrection of Jesus, and the enactment of the Church, there is not one account in which tithes and offering were received in the church. The closest that we have to any kind of giving were some collections made with the purpose of meeting the needs of the poor. However we have a template for which any kind of giving can be done in the Church. It is 2 Corinthians 9:7

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Free willed giving.

Now, bc of the emphasis on tithes, very little emphasis is paid on free will giving. Truth is that if the church will give the way God want them to, they will give much more than what is gotten from the tithe. Why? What informed the writing of Paul in 2 Cor 9 was the need to raise money for poor folks in Jerusalem. We see that one of the people who responded were those in Macedonia. Paul said though they were poor also, they gave generously. what informed this giving? The fact that they had given themselves first to the Lord and then God could command what else to do with their finances. This is the key. In churches today, we do not have people who have given themselves to the Lord and for this reason free will offering is very poor. The only way for the clergy to get money is to institute the man-made doctrine of compulsory monetary tithing. If not no one will give anything. In the day of God's power people will be willing. That there is an un-willingness to give shows that there is no power in church. In spite of all that is said in many of these tithe collecting churches, a good number of people still do not tithe!

So the solution is to go back to the basics. Ministers must trust God to preach, live and desceminate his word until people give themselves first to God and then they can give generously to the church. If this cannot be done, the religious tithing will continue to be sustained at great cost to the life of Christianity and gospel preaching world wide.

END

4 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by trustman: 9:56pm On Jan 02, 2014
What Image123 and partner need to understand are these:
- They cannot run away from the fact that tithing is given an undue emphasis today that it
does not require. If not this discuss may never have come up. When discussants focus
on it it is not because of cherry picking. It is because it is a necessary focus on an issue
in view. If animal sacrifice were the bone of contention there will necessarily be more
focus on it that any other issue.
- Not being under the Law includes the issue that anything clearly shown to be abrogated
under the Law is no longer required of the Christian today. What will show whether a
thing under the Law - whether it is called weightier matter or whatever - is still in
operation today is if it is clearly expressed in the New Testament epistles. And these are
clearly seen in the epistles. The spirit of God cannot lead any man of God apart from
the specific scriptures that are more relevant to the Christian today than those that are
not – The New Testament epistles. Thus the spirit of God can NEVER ask a Christian to
resort to animal sacrifices TODAY even though these were a NECESSARY and
BINDING requirement in the Word of God for a time – only for a time. Failure of
many preachers to find things in the New Testament to support their skewed positions
on many issues make them to resort to the Old Testament almost always. When they
therefore cannot find clear instruction on any issue such as tithing in the New Testament
they must then try to prove that things in the old – things in the Law – must still be
applicable to the Christian today.
- God remains the God of Abraham and Jacob. But when God says that His SON – God’s
final Word - is superior to ALL we need to say ‘Yes, Sir’ rather than engage in a
wrestling match with God. What we should seek is how the Son is superior, what things
the Son has brought that shows his superiority, and so on. If tithe is all they see in ALL
SCRIPTURE rather than the SON then such a Christian’s spiritual status needs to
checked very well.

5 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 10:10pm On Jan 02, 2014
The whole discuss stands and falls on these points Candour had provided:

Candour]:

RESPONSE TO REBUTTAL M5

We will once again remind our brethren that we are having this discussion because of a lot of Lies that have been told the children of God to force tithes out of them, particularly these four below

1. If you don't tithe, you will burn in hell for ever.

2. If you don’t tithe, you’ll have devourers like accidents, sickness, job loss, financial backwardness etc but if you do, you’ll have plenty money, sickness free life etc.

3. Pay tithe as eternal principle to prove Abraham is your father according to Gen 14 and Heb 7

4. Pay tithe to your pastor because he is senior to you in the order of priesthood of Melchizedek

But for the above lies, particularly the ones in bold, we won’t be discussing this issue. I also noticed that our brothers conveniently shied away from confronting head on, the truths and facts below

And Image and Co have refused to answer these questions.

I give it to Image that he truly does not hold the views that Candour have expressed above but this are the reasons the tithe is debated so intensely. I had a conversation with a Pastor and he expressed the same sentiments. In fact he said something like this: "If we tithe and we get to heaven and realize that it was not a requirement, we will be safe. But God forbid we find that it is required for us to be saved and we did not tithe". And I was like: "... and you are a Pastor; you do not know what your salvation is based on?".

My hope is that some tithers will come and shed light on the four facts that Candour has raised here since Image believes this is not the position of most tithers and we believe this is their position and this is the reason tithe is so hotly debated anywhere.

5 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by PastorKun(m): 6:40am On Jan 03, 2014
trustman: What Image123 and partner need to understand are these:
- They cannot run away from the fact that tithing is given an undue emphasis today that it
does not require. If not this discuss may never have come up. When discussants focus
on it it is not because of cherry picking. It is because it is a necessary focus on an issue
in view. If animal sacrifice were the bone of contention there will necessarily be more
focus on it that any other issue.
- Not being under the Law includes the issue that anything clearly shown to be abrogated
under the Law is no longer required of the Christian today. What will show whether a
thing under the Law - whether it is called weightier matter or whatever - is still in
operation today is if it is clearly expressed in the New Testament epistles. And these are
clearly seen in the epistles. The spirit of God cannot lead any man of God apart from
the specific scriptures that are more relevant to the Christian today than those that are
not – The New Testament epistles. Thus the spirit of God can NEVER ask a Christian to
resort to animal sacrifices TODAY even though these were a NECESSARY and
BINDING requirement in the Word of God for a time – only for a time. Failure of
many preachers to find things in the New Testament to support their skewed positions
on many issues make them to resort to the Old Testament almost always. When they
therefore cannot find clear instruction on any issue such as tithing in the New Testament
they must then try to prove that things in the old – things in the Law – must still be
applicable to the Christian today.
- God remains the God of Abraham and Jacob. But when God says that His SON – God’s
final Word - is superior to ALL we need to say ‘Yes, Sir’ rather than engage in a
wrestling match with God. What we should seek is how the Son is superior, what things
the Son has brought that shows his superiority, and so on. If tithe is all they see in ALL
SCRIPTURE rather than the SON then such a Christian’s spiritual status needs to
checked very well.

Very well said! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by trustman: 10:22pm On Jan 03, 2014
When Image123 & Co quote scripture and the reach conclusions directly unrelated to the passage quoted beats one. For example, Heb. 13:8 is quoted – “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever” and the conclusion reached is - In other words, He has not changed His doctrine or opinion. He has not changed His stance and advice. Now in that portion of scripture who or what does not change – Jesus Christ or what he institutes or does? He remains the same, yes, but can he change THINGS including his directives to man? Can God change the order of things? Is God not the SAME one who said in Revelation21:5 – “ And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful”. Can the SOVEREIGN of the universe change ANY INSTITUTION which in his supreme wisdom he deems fit to change? Can he make all things new thereby bringing about CHANGE? And what is change? Can it be about a replacement of an old order for a new one?

1 Like

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 10:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
Image123: PRESENTING R6 Our tithing is because Jesus never condemned it and suggested that it ought to be done. (Luke 11:42)

Luk 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Jesus Christ is the author and finisher of the christian faith. He is the One christians are supposed to follow, the One who ought to be obeyed rather than men. The above Scripture was spoken by Him while He was here on earth physically. Anyone that knows Jesus knows that He is the Truth. He is the Word made flesh, the Way personified. Jesus Christ said Himself that the words that He speaks are Spirit and Life. Therefore, we ought to give the more earnest heed to His words.

It would be good if we gave heed to what He said about tithes. He said
Luk 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Here it is AGAIN from Matthew, so that we can be doubly sure He's not making a slip in opinion.
Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

These ought ye to have done. His words cannot pass away. He could not be giving advice that is not the will of God to anyone, even if such a fellow is the devil. These ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Are we to leave judgement, mercy and faith undone? Certainly not!

I like the way Image went about making emphasis on Luke 11:42. Well he needed to make his point clear on the matter.

What I will simply want to know is this:

1. Is Image123, pro-tither and all Christians Pharisees?

2. Is there are distinction between Christianity and Judaism or the former is just a mere continuation of the latter?

3. Matthew 8:1-3 says "1 When he was come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed him. 2 And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. 3 And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, show thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them".

Therefore:

a. Are Christians expected to make offerings to priests or pastors when they are healed of diseases?

b. Is it not proper to look at Matthew 23:23 in the context in which it was spoken, the same way we will see Matthew 8:3 in a context, to be able to properly understand the text?

c. Can we not see that the injunction Christ gave the man healed is an injunction under Judaism that does not apply to Christian; in the same manner that Matthew 23:23 or Luke 11:42 is? Should we now make a case for "Christ words that will not pass away" to begin to follow the letter of a spoken word and refuse to understand the spirit behind them?

I will not be commenting further until Candour/Miwerds, who are well able on this matter, do justice to it.

2 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by trustman: 11:10pm On Jan 03, 2014
Image123:
In the words of trustman on the sister thread, "God’s final Word - is superior to ALL. We need to say ‘Yes, Sir’ rather than engage in a wrestling match with God. What we should seek is how the Son is superior, what things the Son has brought that shows his superiority, and so on."

END
Jesus Christ lived in a different era from the church age. His period on earth can be seen as a bridge between the OLD and the NEW – between the era of Israel and the church age. When he was here on earth the era of Israel and God’s plan for her was still in operation. He was therefore right to emphasize to Israel issues relating to her both as a nation and as God’s people. However, when the era of Israel was terminated, howbeit for some time, the church REPLACED Israel. God INSTITUTED A CHANGE! The church took the place of Israel. When therefore the book of Hebrews tells us that God has in these last days SPOKEN TO US BY HIS SON he (God) wants us to LISTEN and not to fall by the wayside as the people of old did and were disciplined by God. We are therefore to seek what the SON has spoken to us for our benefit for these last days. When a CHANGE came what constitutes the change that the SON BROUGHT ABOUT? How can we avoid following the examples of those of OLD who failed?
God instituted a way of spiritual life for Abraham and Jacob, then for Israel as a nation. When the church came he instituted something NEW, DIFFERENT from what Abraham and Jacob had and different from what he had for Israel. The same God, yes, but CHANGES INTRODUCED. What the Christian then needs to do therefore is FIND OUT what his spiritual lifestyle should be under the NEW ORDER OF GOD – the New Covenant. Can we therefore OBJECTIVELY LOOK AT the New Testament epistles and claim that “… Christ Jesus said that tithes OUGHT TO BE DONE”? Did the SON bring better things? Are the better things he brought superior to tithe? Is he - the Alpha and the Omega - superior to tithes? Did the Apostles short-change us?

2 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 8:17am On Jan 04, 2014
@trustman,.so we can say Image quoted U correctly. But did U mean what he claimed U meant or he succeeded in twisting your words?
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by EMILO2STAY(m): 2:26pm On Jan 04, 2014
image & Co, have turned to outright dishonesty just to keep up with the argument. Denying they've never heard tithe preachers use hell, poorverty, sickness and devourer to coerce poeple into paying tithe to churches is like denying they've never heard any preacher use malachi 3.8. Am sure even many protithers themselves will be stunned by there denial.

6 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by PastorKun(m): 2:43pm On Jan 04, 2014
EMILO2STAY: image & Co, have turned to outright dishonesty just to keep up with the argument. Denying they've never heard tithe preachers use hell, poorverty, sickness and devourer to coerce poeple into paying tithe to churches is like denying they've never heard any preacher use malachi 3.8. Am sure even many protithers themselves will be stunned by there denial.

It is impossible to be a tithe preacher and be honest, the two just don't mix.

8 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by brilapluz(m): 3:08pm On Jan 04, 2014
this was 4rm candour's rebuttal
It is nice to wear socks for warmth etc so the secondary school authorities insist on socks which must be white for all students. If I didn’t wear socks or it wasn’t white enough, I received strokes of the cane. However, as an adult now, if I like I can wear red, black or even pink socks, no one can query me because I am now an adult. There are even times I feel uncomfortable wearing socks and I won’t simply because I don’t feel like it. Once again, no one can query or punish me because I’m an adult. So it is with the Christian. The lesson is not about wearing white socks but its about wearing socks for warmth etc. Giving is the lesson or principle we learn, not paying 10%.
A billion likes and beyond.....dont have the superlative(i have exhausted all possible superlative on this thread) to address this but it surely made my day...All glory 2 d lord!!!

3 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 04, 2014
EMILO2STAY: image & Co, have turned to outright dishonesty just to keep up with the argument. Denying they've never heard tithe preachers use hell, poorverty, sickness and devourer to coerce poeple into paying tithe to churches is like denying they've never heard any preacher use malachi 3.8. Am sure even many protithers themselves will be stunned by there denial.

That statement "The Devil is a Liar" is incorrect. "Image123 is a Liar" should be the correct statement cos Image123 lied about something, i posted a picture evidence, he still lied in the face of realistic evidence and even threatened that i will burn in "hell fire" for providing evidence.

Image123 needs Jesus T.B Joshua. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 7:49pm On Jan 04, 2014
Pastor Kun:

It is impossible to be a tithe preacher and be honest, the two just don't mix.

You remember I said it at the beginning of that or this thread, say breeze go blow and fowl yansh go expose. The kind breeze wey Candour and Mark dey blow eh, it be like same that blew on the day of Pentecost, it's a MIGHTY RUSHING WIND and it's really blowing for us to see dishonest people grin

7 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by trustman: 9:59pm On Jan 04, 2014
DrummaBoy: @trustman,.so we can say Image quoted U correctly. But did U mean what he claimed U meant or he succeeded in twisting your words?
He tried to tie my quote to his wrong conclusions from faulty premises. Jesus Christ never said to the church age believer that tithes OUGHT TO BE DONE. His specific message to the Christian for his spiritual life came via the Apostles and there is no record of their holding a position different from what the Holy Spirit gave in Acts 15.

He deliberately chose to quote only the part of an entire thought which he wanted to use to support his claim. I was really seeking to get him and his partner to see that God's final Word has spoken to us about A NEW COVENANT which is what the book of Hebrews is largely about. What the Christian therefore needs to focus on is what this New Covenant is all about rather seeking to go back to ANYTHING old whether pre-law or of the LAW.

3 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 8:42pm On Jan 05, 2014
Image123

Indeed, Early Jewish Christians eligible to pay tithes would have paid BUT ONLY TO LEVITES at the temple NOT TO THE APOSTLES. Also, early christians paid MORE THAN 10% to the apostles, making nonsense of the present day fear of giving the apostles 10%. Same applies to all christians, whether jew or Gentile, they gave MORE THAN 10% in the church. An apostle wrote to a gentile church to give in proportion. The text rightly states every one of you. This was the mode of operation in an early church. They had a specific day, and EVERY ONE was to give. i guess every one means EVERY ONE? Free will every one. Newsflash, i say it again, i give my tithes free will.

Two points can be gleaned from this post by Image123

1. The matter of giving more than 10%

2. What 1 Corinthian 16:1-2 is really saying.

Giving beyond 10%

I have written on this earlier when I talked about free will giving. However, in addition, Image's post here simply confirm our position all along that the principle that tithing in the OT was trying to teach us in the New Testament is not to literally tithe our income or whatever we have but to learn to give to support God work. Tithing teaches giving and that is all. Indeed because of the nature of the NT and the liberty of the spirit that come with practice in it, we see that our giving must not be by compulsion or even by proportion but willingly and cheerfully. If Christians are not giving like our counterparts gave in the Early Church, the blame should be placed at the door step of the church. For in the days of God's power the people will be willing, including a willingness to give.

Unfortunately, because of the lack of power and a huge ecclesiastic burden that the clergy have placed on themselves, there is the need to get money at all cost. Thus the resort to the monetary tithes. Nothing more, nothing less. When power returns to the church; and church leaders show some evidence of accountability, transparency, and prudence in spending church finances; and when we have Christians that have been touched by God, we will have people giving much more than 10% like we did in Acts 4.

2. 1 Corinthians 16:1-3

1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. 3 And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.

While Image made a case for everyone to give, he forgets to add the context in which this was happening:

1. The giving was not to sustain excessive ecclesiastic burdens; to build churches; to buy jets; or to pay for a pastor ostentatious living; the giving was for poor saints in Judea. We see from this that all giving in the NT was to cater for the poor and nothing else.

2. There is no mention of tithe here. The giving should be according to what people have: what God has prospered them with. It was not ten percent.

This scripture is so clear that I wonder why tithers continue to use it to justify tithing. In fact it does not justify giving of offering in church services. There was a clear need in Jerusalem and Paul was showing them how they could have that need off setted. Set out a proportion according to what you have. Indeed it makes sense to say that when the need was met, the giving stopped! If however, we want to use this kind of scripture to justify giving in church, it should be free will offering as this is what 1 Cor 16 is talking about and not tithe.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

New Photos Of Akwa Ibom Boy Abandoned To Die For Being A Wizard Will Shock You / ODO OWA: Birth Place of Apostle Joseph Ayo Babalola, Founder CAC / Mosques And Churches To Reopen In Lagos On August 7 & 9 Respectively

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 207
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.