Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV (26384 Views)

ASUU Ready to Call-Off Strike Next Week - Fagge / Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) / Message From ASUU President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by otokx(m): 10:28pm On Dec 03, 2013
taharqa: This was d questn I just wanted to ask, But in Reverse: why does ASUU want d AGF to sign a 'mere' trade dispute Agreement/Resolutions with them? Do they want a Legally-binding Agreement with their Employers? A 'treaty' perhaps?... Just don't understand, yet. Maybe, smone can help us both out

The last agreement had a perm sec in ministry of education and elder gamaliel onosode sign on behalf of FG. David Mark and some other reps say the people did not have the capacity to sign on behalf of govt.

ASUU now says let the chief law officer of Nigeria sign in the presence of another signee being the NLC chairman so that tomorrow David Mark will not say what he said.

Ever since FG has been saying a million and one things e.g. open school or be sacked, its unfortunate the man died, we have 200bn, we will pay your arrears as long as you sign register, every day different new things to confuse people but the paper is still waiting to be signed.
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Sajio(m): 10:44pm On Dec 03, 2013
wirinet: I honestly do not see the problem beyond ego centric problem especially by government and its officials. If as okupe said, there is nothing extraordinary about the 4 new demands by ASUU, then why is the government so annoyed? If it is just to sign what had already been agreed it by the attorney general and the inclusion of a universally accepted non victimization clause, then wherein lies the problem?
Govenment should have known that most lectures still have their old aluta student mentality and would not do anythink until their former president is buried.
...... I think ASUU would have won the ppls mind by given gej a benefit of doubt! If he fails †̥ implement ASUU's demand! They can now come back †̥ desk! Don't u think is annoying? After several ours they spent with the president, they promised getin back †̥ president that they want †̥ pass d message †̥ the various chapters. Which dey did and 75% agreed †̥ call-off the strike.. If they had adhead †̥ the turnout..... Proof festus Iyaya would still be breathing today! Instead they went further for a nec meeting which they said the Fagge himsef was not part of and all calls †̥ reach wasn't thru!! Hoping there would b a goood news, instead they came up with conditions else they won't call off the strke,, I understand FG has failed them but since they were able †̥ meet with Gej in person! They would have just respected his office and see if he will keep †̥ it! Den if he fails †̥? The public will see its all from d president!! ASUU has lost it all cos its so obvious that fagge is upto someting and Gej will not allow such!! I suggest they call it off and see what's happens January!!

1 Like

Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Sajio(m): 10:53pm On Dec 03, 2013
fkaz:

Ejoit he should go ahead and sign it on behalf of FG thief, this show how insincere FG is on this ASUU issue. Only a fool will not know the important of attorney general of the federation when it comes to agreement or awarding of contract. If FG is sincere they should ask the Attorney general of federation to sign the MOU with ASUU, what is the big deal about the signing if they are sincere
Okupe is a fooool
u wouldn't know the big deal.....lols
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by otokx(m): 10:57pm On Dec 03, 2013
Sajio: ...... I think ASUU would have won the ppls mind by given gej a benefit of doubt! If he fails †̥ implement ASUU's demand! They can now come back †̥ desk! Don't u think is annoying? After several ours they spent with the president, they promised getin back †̥ president that they want †̥ pass d message †̥ the various chapters. Which dey did and 75% agreed †̥ call-off the strike.. If they had adhead †̥ the turnout..... Proof festus Iyaya would still be breathing today! Instead they went further for a nec meeting which they said the Fagge himsef was not part of and all calls †̥ reach wasn't thru!! Hoping there would b a goood news, instead they came up with conditions else they won't call off the strke,, I understand FG has failed them but since they were able †̥ meet with Gej in person! They would have just respected his office and see if he will keep †̥ it! Den if he fails †̥? The public will see its all from d president!! ASUU has lost it all cos its so obvious that fagge is upto someting and Gej will not allow such!! I suggest they call it off and see what's happens January!!

then when nothing happens by march they start another 6 months strike abi?
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 03, 2013
Wat do u expect from bro jona he doesnt give a damn as usual dats y he employed a psycho like Nelson wike dat needs to b locked up in yaba left for eternity.
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by theoctopus: 11:15pm On Dec 03, 2013
otokx:

The last agreement had a perm sec in ministry of education and elder gamaliel onosode sign on behalf of FG. David Mark and some other reps say the people did not have the capacity to sign on behalf of govt.

ASUU now says let the chief law officer of Nigeria sign in the presence of another signee being the NLC chairman so that tomorrow David Mark will not say what he said.

Ever since FG has been saying a million and one things e.g. open school or be sacked, its unfortunate the man died, we have 200bn, we will pay your arrears as long as you sign register, every day different new things to confuse people but the paper is still waiting to be signed.

Maybe you do not understand how government works so I will educate you a little. The AGF is not the person to sign an agreement between government and ASUU. What makes it authentic, isnt just the rank of the person in government but the relevance. You cannot get the minister of education to sign an agreement on agriculture just because he is a high ranking officer. He has to also be in a relevant ministry. The only people that are relevant to ASUU are, the minister of Education or his representative, the secretary to the government and head of service, and the president himself. Even Okonjo Iweala is not qualified to sign that agreement.

Secondly, the president himself does not sign that kind of document, so the bulk will have to stop at most likely, the secretary to the government. That is if the minister of education or the head of NUC or one other relevant body does not sign it. ASUU knows this. ASUU is not an independent body. They are not like a political party of a civil society group. They are employees of government. They know the law. They cannot act above the law. They are not bigger than the law. I think GEJ is too magnanimous in all these and it has allowed ASUU and some other persons to cross lines that they shouldnt. Even in a trade dispute, you must follow due process and you must work within the law. Even if the FG is going to release money, the president does not just command the CBN to hand over money to ASUU. That is why I find it sad when I see stup1d comments by some, obviously tainted with political undertones, that the FG should just pay them. There is no free money from anywhere that government just pulls out and dole around. Even when we talk about corruption, it isnt like the corrupt politicians just go to Aso rock and collect bags of money. Most news items that insinuate that are just trash. Most corruption still comes through legitimate projects that are either over inflated or where the contractors cut corners and dont deliver. Then you have cases of government officials falsifying projects or staff records. In a sense and in the eyes of the law, most of those projects are justified until they are proven through investigations to be spurious.

It is important for us to be truthful as Nigerians. We are creating a bad precedence in this country where anyone can now blackmail government, play on anti government sentiments and rip us off, while we act as accomplices in their crimes against us. That is exactly what played out in the fuel subsidy saga. Most of you ended up fighting for the fuel importation cabals and they eventually won and are still ripping us off

3 Likes

Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by BossTtdiamonds(m): 12:38am On Dec 04, 2013
theoctopus:

Maybe you do not understand how government works so I will educate you a little. The AGF is not the person to sign an agreement between government and ASUU. What makes it authentic, isnt just the rank of the person in government but the relevance. You cannot get the minister of education to sign an agreement on agriculture just because he is a high ranking officer. He has to also be in a relevant ministry. The only people that are relevant to ASUU are, the minister of Education or his representative, the secretary to the government and head of service, and the president himself. Even Okonjo Iweala is not qualified to sign that agreement.

Secondly, the president himself does not sign that kind of document, so the bulk will have to stop at most likely, the secretary to the government. That is if the minister of education or the head of NUC or one other relevant body does not sign it. ASUU knows this. ASUU is not an independent body. They are not like a political party of a civil society group. They are employees of government. They know the law. They cannot act above the law. They are not bigger than the law. I think GEJ is too magnanimous in all these and it has allowed ASUU and some other persons to cross lines that they shouldnt. Even in a trade dispute, you must follow due process and you must work within the law. Even if the FG is going to release money, the president does not just command the CBN to hand over money to ASUU. That is why I find it sad when I see stup1d comments by some, obviously tainted with political undertones, that the FG should just pay them. There is no free money from anywhere that government just pulls out and dole around. Even when we talk about corruption, it isnt like the corrupt politicians just go to Aso rock and collect bags of money. Most news items that insinuate that are just trash. Most corruption still comes through legitimate projects that are either over inflated or where the contractors cut corners and dont deliver. Then you have cases of government officials falsifying projects or staff records. In a sense and in the eyes of the law, most of those projects are justified until they are proven through investigations to be spurious.

It is important for us to be truthful as Nigerians. We are creating a bad precedence in this country where anyone can now blackmail government, play on anti government sentiments and rip us off, while we act as accomplices in their crimes against us. That is exactly what played out in the fuel subsidy saga. Most of you ended up fighting for the fuel importation cabals and they eventually won and are still ripping us off
You're one big Idi0t.. refer to the text in bold to see how much of a nitwit you are..
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by adwem2003(m): 1:31am On Dec 04, 2013
IS IT POSSIBLE FOR MILITANTS AND NATIONAL ASSEMBLY TO BE OWED THEIR ENTITLEMENTS FOR 5 MONTHS? AND WE WONT HAVE A SITUATION IN OUR HANDS?" BUT ITS OK FOR TO OWE CONTRACTORS, COACHES, ASUU, DOCTORS AND PENSIONERS FOR MONTHS. WHEN THEY COMPLAIN, IT BECOMES UNPATRIOTIC."
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Demdem(m): 3:19am On Dec 04, 2013
tpapi: only fools talk like dis

Bastards tries their possible best to suppress the truth.
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Demdem(m): 3:21am On Dec 04, 2013
ZackiGp:
you need to go for sanity check up.
I also guess you are suffering frm cleft palate and halitosis.

U mean ur family problem right shocked shocked
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Nobody: 5:16am On Dec 04, 2013
Boss Ttdiamonds:
You're one big Idiot.. refer to the text in bold to see how much of a nitwit you are..
If u are referring to d poster of that intelligent n reasonable comment that made huge sense,then the sponginess,hollowness n emptiness of that dead lump u call brain is beyond grading! Pity..
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Nobody: 5:25am On Dec 04, 2013
Demdem:

U mean ur family problem right shocked shocked
Whose family problem,yours? Aint that d same way ur family is suffering from what u bloody attribute to d pres at every opportunity,dafts? U know whats good 4 u deranged demented psycho: da noose ropes on da damm tree..
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by BossTtdiamonds(m): 5:59am On Dec 04, 2013
Rexxie:
If u are referring to d poster of that intelligent n reasonable comment that made huge sense,then the sponginess,hollowness n emptiness of that dead lump u call brain is beyond grading! Pity..
I damn sure you think up your as$.... Don't you have churches and innocent people to blow up??.... I actually do pity those you'll father much.. It's not doubt you're one hell of a sociopath...
Just for what its worth.. I went through the struggle of gettin' you tis' so you can fill that void in your head with valid information.. It's a PDF file sized 1.56mb.. http://www.icanig.org/documents/ATSWA_PUBLIC_SECTOR_ACCOUNTING.pdf Now go read somethin'..
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by AmeLonRo(m): 6:04am On Dec 04, 2013
Rexxie:
Whose family problem,yours? Aint that d same way ur family is suffering from what u bloody attribute to d pres at every opportunity,dafts? U know whats good 4 u deranged demented psycho: da noose ropes on da damm tree..

Its saddening when you guys leave the main topical issue, viz ASUU AND FG and begin to lambast yourselves. What exactly is the problem? Intolerance on nairaland? Wake up please and get back to the real issue discussed.
Oga FG abegi SIGN the agreement as ASUU says, shikenan, opari!!!!! grin grin grin
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by chessguru1(m): 6:17am On Dec 04, 2013
Boss Ttdiamonds:
I damn sure you think up your as$.... Don't you have churches and innocent people to blow up??.... I actually do pity those you'll father much.. It's not doubt you're one hell of a sociopath...
Boss Ttdiamonds:
You're one big Idi0t.. refer to the text in bold to see how much of a nitwit you are..

Guy quit being so crude, it makes you loo'k dull. You quoted a guy that made perfect logical sense then insulted him.
The least you could have done was to raise your counter points (if indeed you had any) instead of J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ quoting then insulting.
But if your indeed capable of having a rational discuss, then explain why its proper for someone from say the ministry of agriculture to sign something affecting the ministry of aviation simply becos a certain union demands it. Whereas it would appear trivial for these conditions to be granted, it lays a bad precedence especially in this our "follow Follow" society where unions put the wellfare of their members above that of the larger society.
The last I checked, all these lecturers are govt employees, and cannot be holding govt to ransom to the extent that not only do they dictate the terms of their negotiation, but also exactly how the negotiation will be carried out.
My biggest problem with ASUU is their tongue abuse of due process that ought to follow any trade dispute.
P.s refrain from insults....its unbecoming undecided

1 Like

Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by BossTtdiamonds(m): 6:21am On Dec 04, 2013
chess guru:
Guy quit being so crude, it makes you loo'k dull. You quoted a guy that made perfect logical sense then insulted him.
The least you could have done was to raise your counter points (if indeed you had any) instead of J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ quoting then insulting.
But if your indeed capable of having a rational discuss, then explain why its proper for someone from say the ministry of agriculture to sign something affecting the ministry of aviation.
The last I checked, all these lecturers are govt employees, and cannot be holding govt to ransom to the extent that not only do they dictate the terms of their negotiation, but also exactly how the negotiation will be carried out.
My biggest problem with ASUU is their abuse of due process that ought to follow any trade dispute.
P.s refrain from insults....its unbecoming undecided
I do hope you find time to read the contents of the PDF.... ASUU we're never fools when they demanded for the AGF's signature http://www.icanig.org/documents/ATSWA_PUBLIC_SECTOR_ACCOUNTING.pdf
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by chessguru1(m): 6:31am On Dec 04, 2013
Boss Ttdiamonds:
I do hope you find time to read the contents of the PDF.... ASUU we're never fools when they demanded for the AGF's signature http://www.icanig.org/documents/ATSWA_PUBLIC_SECTOR_ACCOUNTING.pdf
Hmmm hopefully, I will come around to that.
When I speak, I speak from a position of management, or in this case, if I where in mr presidents shoes.
Bro there needs to be some sign of compromise or shifting of ground by ASUU.
I believe where ASUU made a mistake was not asking for these signatures while meeting the president. Once again I stand to be corrected but I believe after the meeting with the president, they gave him the impression of having come to an agreement, only to come back and insist on one more thing. In negotiations, its seen as bad faith.
#just my opinion tho undecided
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by agabaI23(m): 6:41am On Dec 04, 2013
chess guru:
Hmmm hopefully, I will come around to that.
When I speak, I speak from a position of management, or in this case, if I where in mr presidents shoes.
Bro there needs to be some sign of compromise or shifting of ground by ASUU.
I believe where ASUU made a mistake was not asking for these signatures while meeting the president. Once again I stand to be corrected but I believe after the meeting with the president, they gave him the impression of having come to an agreement, only to come back and insist on one more thing. In negotiations, its seen as bad faith.
#just my opinion tho undecided
According to Okupe, the FG wanted an MOU to be signed by both parties after the meeting but ASUU preferred letter of comfort (whatever that means). He said this before Fagge who did not counter it. That's the annoying part.
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by otokx(m): 6:58am On Dec 04, 2013
agabaI23:
According to Okupe, the FG wanted an MOU to be signed by both parties after the meeting but ASUU preferred letter of comfort (whatever that means). He said this before Fagge who did not counter it. That's the annoying part.

It is not every hogwash you respond to; why is FG refusing to sign now and instead resorting to military tactics which even IBB has said did not work.
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 04, 2013
ARssE Ttdiamonds:
I damn sure you think up your as$.Don't you have churches and innocent people to blow up?..I actually do pity those you'll father much.. It's not doubt you're one hell of a sociopath..
Just for what its worth.. I went through the struggle of gettin' you tis' so you can fill that void in your head with valid information..
Pull up ur pants n wipe off that drool,its easy to see u think with ur damm balls otherwise u dont bring ur pennywhistling arsse on here n start learning hotta blow d sax wit it over intelligent n logical reasonings of intelligent posters,u bloody dont. A better thing is counter those points logically n if that was such a hard nut 4 that lump upstairs 2 crack,or perharps u fall asleep whenever u try to reason,then its better to do ur fartings da breezy way n ur talkin'patched arsse'd be free frm da heats..
n do ur miserable self a favor:stick that pdf whatever up ur arsse,gonna cure it of autoselfwhistling..savvy that,sponge brain?
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by ayili: 9:09am On Dec 04, 2013
eagle,eye:

The students are collateral damage.
You cannot tell factory worker to work with the wrong tools and expect him to deliver the right result.
The Federal govrnment wants lecturers to perform magic in the classrooms and produce 'Leaders of Tomorrow' who will compete with the peers globally.....FA FAA FAAA FOUL.
and their four months (unworked for) salaries is not part of the collateral damages right? to gain a better work conditions you have to sacrifice four months salaries, the students lost four months of their accademic life for a better education system that they wont be part of without complaining. yet those that want to die and be buried in lecture theaters (70 years retirement age) dont want to sacrifice..... GOD is watchingin 3D
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by jerrymania(m): 9:12am On Dec 04, 2013
All this problem is on because Jonathan is a corrupt man, he has bled the nation dry, so there is no way he can explain that there is not enough funding for education for the years ASUU put on the table. This is going to be the pepper that will open the monkeys yansh. Thief of a president!
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by agabaI23(m): 9:35am On Dec 04, 2013
otokx:

It is not every hogwash you respond to; why is FG refusing to sign now and instead resorting to military tactics which even IBB has said did not work.
1. You don't push your employer around
2. You don't dishonour the presidency, why did it take them 3 weeks after the meeting to respond to the president?
3. Like the president said, they had 4 days to articulate their demand, why didn't they remember all those?
4. You don't call that hogwash because he said it before Alhaji Fagge who didn't say it was a lie.
5. Otokx sad

2 Likes

Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by ayili: 9:50am On Dec 04, 2013
Ame Lon Ro:

Its saddening when you guys leave the main topical issue, viz ASUU AND FG and begin to lambast yourselves. What exactly is the problem? Intolerance on nairaland? Wake up please and get back to the real issue discussed.
Oga FG abegi SIGN the agreement as ASUU says, shikenan, opari!!!!! grin grin grin
its not just about signing ,if FG sign what they cant implement its same you who will ask why did they sign an unimplimentable agreement ? let both parties move grounds and achieve more rather than begin proud and rigid which wont help
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 04, 2013
Arabambi1:

@ hydrazone; thumb up. What a parochial thinking. I fear for the way our people dey reason

Sometimes I wonder if Nigeria will ever grow if people continue to think backwards and lick a.s.s..... Smh bitterly
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by BossTtdiamonds(m): 10:52am On Dec 04, 2013
Rexxie:
Pull up ur pants n wipe off that drool,its easy to see u think with ur damm balls otherwise u dont bring ur pennywhistling arsse on here n start learning hotta blow d sax wit it over intelligent n logical reasonings of intelligent posters,u bloody dont. (A better thing is counter those points logically [size=13pt]Even after you've been spoon-fed..??[/size]) n if that was such a hard nut 4 that lump upstairs 2 crack,or perharps u fall asleep whenever u try to reason,then its better to do ur fartings da breezy way n ur talkin'patched arsse'd be free frm da heats..
n do ur miserable self a favor:stick that pdf whatever up ur arsse,gonna cure it of autoselfwhistling..savvy that,sponge brain?
I can now conclude that you're on some high definition kind of weed... You should really consider suing your brains for non-support?..
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Nobody: 10:56am On Dec 04, 2013
AMALOSHE: It is better students stay 1yr @ home for this negligence on education by our insincere govt. to be settled once & for all,than rushing back to sch.only to turn out graduates whose Certificates are not accepted even in Benin republic 4 further studies!

Thank you, they are there crying ASUU this, ASUU that, this makes me wonder if the average Nigerian student is blind or stupid, or if they are unbelievably waiting for God to come down from heaven to sort out this mess we call education in Nigeria? What is wrong with everyone? If we don't fight this battle and support ASUU who will? Why are we so quick to give up? To accept defeat? Why do we run away from the truth? hoping that things will get better? If we don't work collectively towards this , how will things change? It's sad that a lot of ppl are ready to sabotage revolutionary plans, which makes Nigeria not worthy to die for. Has anyone asked themselves why they don't want to end up as lecturers or teachers? It's because of all this, why don't we tackle this issue once and for all? In every war there must be casualties, Im highly disappointed in peeps who are sympathising with FG. It means that u have no regards for the betterment of this nation.
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 04, 2013
Samgreguc:
and sir what is the importance of the Att. Gen. Of the fed. When it comes to agreement

Please if u don't have anything to say, just shut it, rather than displaying ur ignorance publicly, I'm sick! Of mediocrity.
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 04, 2013
Laalamed: If Babangida,abacha, and obasanjo could not solve ASUU problem u must not expect jonathan to solve it. ASUU is unsteady and unreasonable. ASUU is corrupt.

I'm shocked at ur level of ignorance and stupidity!
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Nobody: 11:10am On Dec 04, 2013
joxhibit: I have been keenly following developments with relations to the ASUU saga with the Federal government on Nairaland and other social media networks for sometime now. It is quite disheartening to see the level of spite being meted out to the ASUU body from members of these social sites who i believe are mostly students affected by the strike. I cannot but wonder how many of these students truly understand the real situations of things before making such derogatory comments online. These are students who in the event of ASUU not accomplishing their goal will go back to school and complain about infrastructural decay and what have you. I have been a victim of the massive collapse of infrastructures in these so called institutions of higher learning and come by any means is am solidly behind ASUU cos' i believe that one of the reasons we produce half baked graduates in this country can be traced in one way or the other to poor infrastructure and lack of the basic tools needed by these lecturers to share their ideas. Most students would complain about the nonchalant attitude to lecturers to lectures, but i can tell you that if i were to be in their shoes i would also maintain a laid back attitude to situations. How can you teach chemistry without chemicals or laboratory equipment that are functional, how can you teach medicine without the proper equipments. So i implore these students to change from their ways and actively support their teachers in achieving this common goal. They can then at the end hold their teachers accountable if these things are in place and they are then found wanting. I rest my case!

Thank you and God bless you.....
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by proffemi: 11:20am On Dec 04, 2013
theoctopus: If you sit here and say that the government has not really shown commitment to the extent that the President himself sits down at the table with ASUU, then you are really very dishonest.

I have never heard before, both within and outside Nigeria, where the President would come to table with a group like ASUU. Never before. That is the last bus stop of any negotiation. It is an insult what ASUU is doing and they are setting a very bad precedence. No C in C will ever sit down with them again, you can take that to the bank. Whether it is GEJ of any other president because of this their action.

I do not know why this surprises you so much. The Jonathan government has seriously eroded the credibility of the Nigerian Presidency,and what you are seeing is that people no longer take them at their word. Ordinarily, this should be cause for the GEJ government to hang its head in shame, and reflect on how low it has sunk, rather than another opportunity for ego-tripping.

A C-in-C would not ordinarily need to even intervene in labor matters; in the US, even the *lowest* employee empowered to speak on behalf of the POTUS is taken at his word. In Nigeria, you have a serving Senate President saying that those who signed an agreement did not know their left from their right, never mind that the incumbent president approved the same document!

On the other side, the silence and total disdane that ASUU showed between the time they met with the president to this week is just very sad.
I personally agree that it was a big insult to the Presidency and students to keep silent for so long. However, that is no reason to now become recalcitrant. FG should berate ASUU on their obvious tardiness, but do the needful.

Thirdly, there is no justification for ASUU leadership to continue the strike when the majority have voted that the strike be called off. There is no way you can defend the fact that ASUU is compromised. No way at all!
No way?
The majority asked for the strike to be called off *as long as we had assurances that government would deliver*. I should know, because that is my view: call off, but verify first.

Can you please tell me exactly what ASUU has asked the government to do that it finds so hard to do?? I assure you that it is this unwillingness to put their agreement in black-and-white that makes ASUU doubt government's sincerity. I don't think anyone wants to wait till FG reneges on its word again (they've done it before) and we have to go on another strike.
Re: ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV by Nobody: 11:21am On Dec 04, 2013
chess guru:
U don't understand bro.
Assuming there is an industrial action in the US, and all efforts in resolving it fail. To the extent that the POTUS has to intervene himself for 13 hrs to arrive at an agreement, which later turns out not to be good enough because the said union dont trust the commander in chief of the american arm forces.....
In as much as we have no value for ourselves (and amazingly expect other countries..ghana, togo etc to value and respect us)
E no make sense bro, from an american perspective; its a big insult to the president

News flash darling! This is Nigeria and not US. Once bitten twice shy....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Speaks 11 South African Languages (photo) / Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree / AAUA Student Writes Emotional Letter As He Drop Out Over High Fee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.