Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,855 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Is Eminem Really The Rap God? - Music/Radio (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Eminem Really The Rap God? (38935 Views)

Is Eminem The Most Emotional Rapper? / Is Eminem Really The Rap God?? / Is Eminem Richer Than Lil Wayne (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by coogar: 1:15pm On Dec 06, 2013
RSAMAN:
now you're pushing it.
now you're really pushing it.

i'm done with you - when you learn about the technicalities of lyricism, come back & let's discuss. until then, keep listening to your monosyllabic kool-g-rap. rakim himself said thinks eminem is an icon. that should settle the debate.

oh... The rap fans? Does it matter? Just give us the list of morden rappers those fans are feeling right now. Or are they fans of rap who are no fans of any rappers besides eminem? Lol

eminem & slaughterhouse - they are the only ones left doing it like they should. others are just wackitty wack. mainstream hip-hop is dead.

nateevs:
You get this all the time. Most of those who believe Em is not god don't have any reasons. Most just say it's my opinion.

because most don't even know the amount of work eminem puts into writing his lyrics. they somehow think those words rhyme together by magic. all my years of writing & i still find it difficult to write like eminem writes cos once you choose a particular rhyme scheme, you have to fit in the words that rhyme with it. the skill is extremely difficult.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Dec 06, 2013
Eminem is good, but compares nothing to Nas.Nas (especially early Nas) destroys Eminem lyrically.Illmatic is arguably the greatest hip hop album of all time.Check this out.

Eminem
See I'm a poet to some, a regular modern day Shakespeare
Jesus Christ the King of these Latter Day Saints here
To shatter the picture in which of that as they paint me
as a monger of hate and Satan a scatter-brained atheist
But that ain't the case, see it's a matter of taste
We as a people decide if Shady's as bad as they say he is
Or is he the latter - a gateway to escape?

Nas
"People fear what they don't understand, hate what they can't conquer
Guess it's just the fury of man
Became a monster, on top of the world, never fallin
I'm as real as they come, from day one, forever ballin"
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by RSAMAN(m): 2:15pm On Dec 06, 2013
coogar:

eminem & slaughterhouse - they are the only ones left doing it like they should. others are just wackitty wack. mainstream hip-hop is dead.

only those? But i thought you said people would laugh at you for basic rap, hip hop cannot be just be one person, Turns out it's hip hop they should laugh at in general. By the bold i think you mean biggie and pac took it to the grave.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by coogar: 2:22pm On Dec 06, 2013
RSAMAN:

only those? But i thought you said people would laugh at you for basic rap, hip hop cannot be just be one person, Turns out it's hip hop they should laugh at in general. By the bold i think you mean biggie and pac took it to the grave.

mainstream hiphop is dead, underground hiphop is still growing & very entertaining. who else is there apart from eminem & slaughterhouse? nas/jay-z have forgotten the elements of hip-hop. their last albums were pitiful.

mainstream is filled with idiöts now, kanye started well with his debut album but he's become shyte now. lil wayne never had it & the others wouldn't have a career if big/pac/big pun were still alive.

Bukato3: Eminem is good, but compares nothing to Nas.Nas (especially early Nas) destroys Eminem lyrically.Illmatic is arguably the greatest hip hop album of all time.Check this out.

biggie's ready to die was so much better than illmatic.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by RSAMAN(m): 2:35pm On Dec 06, 2013
coogar:

mainstream hiphop is dead, underground hiphop is still growing & very entertaining. who else is there apart from eminem & slaughterhouse? nas/jay-z have forgotten the elements of hip-hop. their last albums were pitiful.

mainstream is filled with idiöts now, kanye started well with his debut album but he's become shyte now. lil wayne never had it & the others wouldn't have a career if big/pac/big pun were still alive.

first time hearing you this sensible.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by jerrymania(m): 4:08pm On Dec 06, 2013
richP:
common! from a dunce who cant define economic depression??

oh fool please shut up. are we in the business thread? if you are looking for any holes to insult your dada, you are not doing very well.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 06, 2013
coogar:

Ready to Die sounded exactly like most other hardcore rap albums talking about being a crack dealer and hood b.itches.Plus couple of tracks on Ready To Die could’ve been left out.

Illmatic though short had perfect flow, beats/production, and unique concepts. I.e.: A letter to incarcerated friends in song form.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by coogar: 5:16pm On Dec 06, 2013
Bukato3:
Ready to Die sounded exactly like most other hardcore rap albums talking about being a crack dealer and hood b.itches.Plus couple of tracks on Ready To Die could’ve been left out.

and that's exactly why that one album conferred biggie as the king of NY & nas had to watch from the sidelines as biggie became the face of east coast rappers.

Illmatic though short had perfect flow, beats/production, and unique concepts. I.e.: A letter to incarcerated friends in song form.

hahahaha - illmatic was a dope album but ready to die was like a book. biggie's flow & his storytelling ability just edged it for him. nas is a poet & the picture he was trying to paint was a bit sketchy.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by macof(m): 8:15pm On Dec 06, 2013
RSAMAN:

i like it when i drop a 6 word sentence and your reply is three long paragraphs grin. Everyone has ther opinion based on their favourite rapper. Eminem is no rap god at all, your obssession with eminem is beyond comprehension. From the entire relapse album the only verse that got my attention was the one with the line, 'razors, scissors and pens' from 3am, don't remember it's verse number what from that song. I think inspectah deck's verse from triumph is one of the greatest verses you can ever find today. What do you mean everyone will laugh at you if you start rapping like those cats? Who's everyone, besides your eminem?

Lil wayne
Drake
Young Jeezy
Whiz Khalifa
Kanye West
Nicki Minaj
Rick Ross
2chainz
Soulja Boy
Birdman
Future
French Montana
Big Sean

And the guy who said Monster by eminem and rihanna is one of the greatest rap songs ever. Well that ain't a rap song, that's a pop song.

Mtcheww You are truly a rap novice
U nothing about rap
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by coogar: 8:25pm On Dec 06, 2013
macof:
Mtcheww You are truly a rap novice
U know nothing about rap

i noticed that too. he probably thinks timaya is a rapper.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Dec 06, 2013
Bukato3: Eminem is good, but compares nothing to Nas.Nas (especially early Nas) destroys Eminem lyrically.Illmatic is arguably the greatest hip hop album of all time.Check this out.

Eminem

Nas

I think any smart person should be able to tell you eminems lines are deeper and tighter.. Thank God you quoted them yourself

1 Like

Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by ochon: 9:48pm On Dec 06, 2013
njokusboy:

I think any smart person should be able to tell you eminems lines are deeper and tighter.. Thank God you quoted them yourself

I prefer nas over eminem but eminem's line killed that of nas' from his legendary 'you can hate me now'
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 06, 2013
coogar:

and that's exactly why that one album conferred biggie as the king of NY & nas had to watch from the sidelines as biggie became the face of east coast rappers.

hahahaha - illmatic was a dope album but ready to die was like a book. biggie's flow & his storytelling ability just edged it for him. nas is a poet & the picture he was trying to paint was a bit sketchy.

Illmatic is the cream of the crop as far as just pure/raw spittin' goes.Nas blacked out the whole album.It is the better lyrical album. It's got that "short and sweet" quality to it.I fail to see how ready to die overall was better.What does it have over illmatic? I guess it is just a matter of preference.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by PhysicsQED(m): 5:02am On Dec 07, 2013
Coogar, there was something you wanted to show me?

By the way, you've heard Naughty by Nature, right? Listen to some Naughty by Nature if you haven't already. You might see some similarity in the assonance and multi-syllabic rhyming one sees in their songs and in Eminem's songs. Listen to some songs on their first album that came out in 1991: "Yoke the Joker" (for assonance), and for multi-syllabic rhyming, listen to "Everyday All Day" (especially the 4th/last verse), Let the Ho's Go," "Pin The Tail On The Donkey", and Treach's verse on "1,2,3" (for multi's). I recall that Eminem mentioned Treach as one his favorite rappers and somebody who affected his writing.

As for that Renegade verse, if you want to hear a verse with the same kind of multiple internal rhyming, refer to Mos Def's verse on the "Twice Inna Lifetime" (1998) song that I already mentioned, or if that doesn't do anything for you refer to Ras Kass's songs "Remain Anonymous," "Reelishymn" and "Etc." (from the mid-90s during the 'golden era'). Also check out Organized Konfusion's "Prisoners of War" (also released during the 'golden era').

And on Kool G. Rap, I don't know why you keep saying he's a monosyllabic rhymer. It's not true. That's why I asked you to listen to 4,5,6 earlier. Maybe you're listening to only the earlier stuff before 4,5,6, that he did with DJ Polo (but even that stuff isn't always entirely monosyllabic rhyming on all the songs) and you're assuming that that's what his music has always been like. Listen to Kool G. Rap's verses on "Allied Meta-Forces," "Know Da Game," "3 to the Dome," his verse on "Wishful Thinking" (Pun's verse on that song is also good) and his verses on "Fast Life" (the best version of this song is the 'Norfside remix', by the way - the beat on the original version and the other versions (like the Buckwild remix) kind of suck by comparison). He's not a monosyllabic rhymer by any means and definitely not when he's actually trying to be lyrical.

1 Like

Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by decepticos(m): 10:32am On Dec 07, 2013
njokusboy:

seriously? eminem's lines are deeper than Nas', men ur opinion i respect but it's so not true.

1 Like

Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 07, 2013
decepticos:
seriously? eminem's lines are deeper than Nas', men ur opinion i respect but it's so not true.

don't mind the guy jare..
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by decepticos(m): 3:37pm On Dec 07, 2013
njokusboy:

Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by decepticos(m): 5:22pm On Dec 07, 2013
i am fully behind d physics guy, coogar i am really sorry the fact that he mentioned Organized Konfusion, and Eminem proclaimed pharohe monch's line on OK's "Bring it on" to be legendary makes me give it to d pshycQED guy. He floored you. For me Em aint a rap god MMLP is far better than it's sequel just as illmatic is way better than st-illmatic.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by coogar: 7:35pm On Dec 07, 2013
decepticos: i am fully behind d physics guy, coogar i am really sorry the fact that he mentioned Organized Konfusion, and Eminem proclaimed pharohe monch's line on OK's "Bring it on" to be legendary makes me give it to d pshycQED guy. He floored you. For me Em aint a rap god MMLP is far better than it's sequel just as illmatic is way better than st-illmatic.

you are talking nonsense as usual - if you cannot understand the technicality of lyricism we are discussing here then you have no rights to even contribute. i have seen all the lyrics physicsQED asked me to see & norm of them even compares to what eminem does when freestyling, never mind his pen game.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by macof(m): 8:43pm On Dec 07, 2013
All these people hating on Eminem, well keep hating. Eminem still don't give a Bleep

Rap God, best rap song
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by decepticos(m): 9:03pm On Dec 07, 2013
coogar:

you are talking nonsense as usual - if you cannot understand the technicality of lyricism we are discussing here then you have no rights to even contribute. i have seen all the lyrics physicsQED asked me to see & norm of them even compares to what eminem does when freestyling, never mind his pen game.
freestyle probably, but i am not talking nonesense bro/sis, em's tight no doubt but with refrence to what u and physics argued abt he was and is so right. I acknowledge ems prowess but saying stuff like he perfected it or started it is just so wrong, when OK, Celph tittled, RA aka the crustified dibbs, Company flow, Black thought and a lot more which could include Buckshot. Just saying men the rap god for me is very stale but better than beserk though didnt and still dont enjoy either. I also though the slim shady lp was his1st mainstream album, loved it and still do, but after the eminem show dat was it for my m&m listening days not until Hell the sequel.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by decepticos(m): 9:06pm On Dec 07, 2013
coogar:

freestyle probably, but i am not talking nonesense bro/sis, em's tight no doubt but with refrence to what u and physics argued abt he was and is so right. I acknowledge ems prowess but saying stuff like he perfected it or started it is just so wrong, when OK, Celph tittled, RA aka the crustified dibbs, Company flow, Black thought and a lot more which could include Buckshot. Just saying men the rap god for me is very stale but better than beserk though didnt and still dont enjoy either. I also though the slim shady lp was his1st mainstream album, loved it and still do, but after the eminem show dat was it for my m&m listening days not until Hell the sequel.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by coogar: 10:05pm On Dec 07, 2013
decepticos:
freestyle probably, but i am not talking nonesense bro/sis, em's tight no doubt but with refrence to what u and physics argued abt he was and is so right. I acknowledge ems prowess but saying stuff like he perfected it or started it is just so wrong, when OK, Celph tittled, RA aka the crustified dibbs, Company flow, Black thought and a lot more which could include Buckshot.

what KGR & RA, rakim did in the past was inventing standard definition TV. eminem pushed it to high definition TV between 99 @ 2004 and then went on hiatus. he came back in 2009 & pushed his pen game further to 3D.

Just saying men the rap god for me is very stale but better than beserk though didnt and still dont enjoy either.

if you appreciate lyricism, delivery, multis, punchlines, metaphors & wordplay then rap god should be a template for any aspiring rapper/writer out there to use as a launchpad.

I also though the slim shady lp was his1st mainstream album, loved it and still do, but after the eminem show dat was it for my m&m listening days not until Hell the sequel.

i like relapse more than SSLP & TES. only MMLP is better than relapse. relapse is an album for the hardcore rap fans not the average hiphop fan. some of the schemes & rhyme patterns eminem spewed in that album has never been done in the history of hip-hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3cKgg0fiRI

thunder might strike if anyone here says nas, jay-z, 2pac or any of the old school rappers can touch what eminem did in this shady 2.0 cypher. just watch from 6.48 and see lyrical skills & he's freestyling!!!
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by Fkforyou(m): 10:44pm On Dec 07, 2013
Funny enough you guys have been debating about eminem as a rap god while I've had dis song (rap god) on replay through out 2day,I downloaded it yesterday,through out last week monster ft rihana was wat I had on replay....To be honest I think eminem is among the greatest rapper of our time.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by RSAMAN(m): 12:31am On Dec 08, 2013
coogar:

what KGR & RA, rakim did in the past was inventing standard definition TV. eminem pushed it to high definition TV between 99 @ 2004 and then went on hiatus. he came back in 2009 & pushed his pen game further to 3D.

if you appreciate lyricism, delivery, multis, punchlines, metaphors & wordplay then rap god should be a template for any aspiring rapper/writer out there to use as a launchpad.

i like relapse more than SSLP & TES. only MMLP is better than relapse. relapse is an album for the hardcore rap fans not the average hiphop fan. some of the schemes & rhyme patterns eminem spewed in that album has never been done in the history of hip-hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3cKgg0fiRI

thunder might strike if anyone here says nas, jay-z, 2pac or any of the old school rappers can touch what eminem did in this shady 2.0 cypher. just watch from 6.48 and see lyrical skills & he's freestyling!!!

Relapse is utter SH1T. Lucky i had only got a burnt copy from a friend of it otherwise if i had bought that pile of junk i would have devised means to get my money back or maybe use the jewel case as a coaster for my coffee mug to protect my coffee table from getting a nasty stain, atleast my table would be protected. slim shady lp=classic

2 Likes

Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:07am On Dec 08, 2013
Coogar, I originally referred to the Buckwild remix of Kool G. Rap's "Fast Life" in my post above, but that was a mistake. I meant to write the 1996 "Norfside remix" of Kool G. Rap's Fast Life by Salaam Remi. That's the best version & I honestly think it's one of the best remixes (production-wise) ever in rap. Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTiwlYvbXkk

1 Like

Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by decepticos(m): 1:26pm On Dec 08, 2013
PhysicsQED: Coogar, I originally referred to the Buckwild remix of Kool G. Rap's "Fast Life" in my post above, but that was a mistake. I meant to write the 1996 "Norfside remix" of Kool G. Rap's Fast Life by Salaam Remi. That's the best version & I honestly think it's one of the best remixes (production-wise) ever in rap. Here's a link:

respect men.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by coogar: 7:22pm On Dec 08, 2013
PhysicsQED: Coogar, I originally referred to the Buckwild remix of Kool G. Rap's "Fast Life" in my post above, but that was a mistake. I meant to write the 1996 "Norfside remix" of Kool G. Rap's Fast Life by Salaam Remi. That's the best version & I honestly think it's one of the best remixes (production-wise) ever in rap. Here's a link:

i know this track - i perused the KGR's lyrics & while it's a dopë track with nice delivery & stuff, it lacked the technical brilliance we have been discussing about eminem's lyricism. the multis if any were really limited to 2-syllables.

where's the pen game & the thoughts only hours of ceiling-staring while chain-smoking can produce? i couldn't find any & this is why i said the difference between eminem's lyrics & KGR is akin to an i-phone 5 & a nokia 3210.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by chamotex(m): 8:00pm On Dec 08, 2013

Eminem

Nas

How does this buttress your point about the topic?
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by coogar: 8:05pm On Dec 08, 2013
chamotex:
How does this buttress your point about the topic?

he's trying to delude himself that nas is a better lyricist than eminem. grin cheesy even from his own example, eminem's lyrics easily subdued that of nas in terms of vocab, rhyming & metaphors.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by chamotex(m): 8:11pm On Dec 08, 2013
coogar:

he's trying to delude himself that nas is a better lyricist than eminem. grin cheesy even from his own example, eminem's lyrics easily subdued that of nas in terms of vocab, rhyming & metaphors.

grin grin I was trying to comprehend why he had to put those lyrics.
He should have just left it after his first paragraph.
Re: Is Eminem Really The Rap God? by coogar: 8:31pm On Dec 08, 2013
chamotex:
grin grin I was trying to comprehend why he had to put those lyrics.
He should have just left it after his first paragraph.

maybe he's related to nas. grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Jaye Lo: You Owe No Apology To Muslims, Soyinka Defends Davido / Wizkid 'No Stress' Is No1 In Nigeria & the US World chart according to ITunes / I Need A List Of Reputable Musicians You Can Easily Play Where Kids Are!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.