Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,782 members, 7,820,739 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think (34011 Views)

Ben Bruce Flaunts His Made-In-Aba Shoes, Says They're As Good As Italian Shoes / Federal Government Is Not Treating Igbo People Right - Yerima / Democracy Or Which System Of Government Is Practice In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:42am On Jan 02, 2014
ba7man: Cool. I've refurbished one before and it was a wonderful experience.

All you need do is change the roofing, windows and doors. Tile the floors, partition walls, fittings and finishings, paint and you have a home that can withstand a 100 years or even more.

@op. Those collapsed houses you speak of wear built during the Millitary regimes in the 80s and 90s. They are highly sub-standard and fully occupied.

If Fashola decides to chase people out of them for demolition, people will still complain that he's robbing them of their homes..........and mind you, there are thousands of them in Lagos.

My proposal on housing even involves locating those types of buildings, evacuating them, demolishing and rebuilding them with the land owners retaining stakes in the new building to be constructed..............................Convincing the Land Owners is now the main problem.

Can you see my proposal isn't as radical. It is containment. They should just start rigorous implementation of physical planning from now onwards. Leave the backlog for later, or focus less on it. Which means they are dealing with ongoing projects, preferably at incipient stages. They stop the ones that could cause harm or allow good ones based on a city plan. I think I once read Tinubu's had done an extensive map of the state, along with a master plan. Then they build low cost housing alternatives to slums. With that when slums are demolished they don't have to scurry to another place. I noticed printers for my area after that Oluwole ish for example. They convert the land once a slum into a landmark or something neat, as done in Oshodi. This is certainly not as expensive. Fashola has undertaken projects way bigger than a low cost housing estate that can house say 2000 families.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:44am On Jan 02, 2014
T-ville:
New teachers EMPLOYED BY THE STATE were graduates, and as such, they were placed on Level 8 step 1. Therefore, their salary is 54k. That's is the fact.

Okay.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:45am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

The thing is that I was actually looking at the solution outside of FG because they are 'on a long thing'. Note I said in the OP "There is so much (maybe I should have written 'only so much') a govt can do in a centralized govt". If you want to take it the FG you must look at its structure and as long as Abuja is where Lagos looks to for money, while an opp. party (in a place like Naija) hold power, you won't expect FG to help out. This was all-to-clear under Uncle Sege's regime. I would very much wish we can reduce the power in Aso rock. Their starngle hold on oil money checked. The aberattion of FG's (NASS) determining a states LG and similar absurdities removed etc. etc. If the confab works out, which is unlikely, that is a dream. So LASG has to focus on what they can do.

Yes, the system of government in Nigeria is just too redundant for growth to happen. If the country can be restructured, with less power at the center - and all the different regions are integrated, then that might also save Lagos. The neighbouring states would have to take some of the population. However, that also might end up having its own problem, if there's only one functioning region, with people migrating from other regions there in search of a good life. Then it would be back to square-one.

All in all, the elected governors in all the states need to start doing their jobs. And the people they govern also need to start holding them accountable, rather pointing fingers elsewhere. Not talking about you since you're a thorough bred Lagos boy based where you were raised. I'm talking about the other malicious louts who just like to critique for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:46am On Jan 02, 2014
[s]
me_for_you: me me-for-you run to afam4eva? Has never happened and will never happen.
And saying that fashola is non-working igbo hater is a perfect fact.
[/s]

Who cares? The owners of Lagos adore him - your opinion is inconsequential. You have no stake in Lagos, go worry about your state! undecided

4 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:50am On Jan 02, 2014
me_for_you: me me-for-you run to afam4eva? Has never happened and will never happen.
And saying that fashola is non-working igbo hater is a perfect fact.

Una too dey beef Fashola over this 'deportation' issue. Did you even watch Channels and co ? Channels stated the Lagos govt had told Anambra govt of what it intended. Obi's people denied it but Channels got some evidence in the form of letters from Lagos state govt that contradicted their denial. Funny thing is even before deporting the Igbos, they had started picking other destitute about at returning them to their states, some were even from places like Togo, which has an indigenous Yoruba population and they were deported. But for Igbos, mbanu ! Fashola is an Igbo hater, SMH.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Italiano1: 12:51am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx: [s][/s]

Who cares? The owners of Lagos adore him - your opinion is inconsequential. You have no stake in Lagos, go worry about your state! undecided

Apt reply!!!
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:57am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

Yes, the system of government in Nigeria is just too redundant for growth to happen. If the country can be restructured, with less power at the center - and all the different regions are integrated, then that might also save Lagos. The neighbouring states would have to take some of the population. However, that also might end up having its own problem, if there's only one functioning region, with people migrating from other regions there in search of a good life. Then it would be back to square-one.

All in all, the elected governors in all the states need to start doing their jobs. And the people they govern also need to start holding them accountable, rather pointing fingers elsewhere. Not talking about you since you're a thorough bred Lagos boy based where you were raised. I'm talking about the other malicious louts who just like to critique for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

The decentralization of power shouldn't entirely wipe out Abuja's relevance. It will have a lot still. It's just won't be over-much like before. For example, offshore oil should still be under FG. And a drastic decentralization especially in matters of revenue (which boils down to oil money) won't be good. Even the South-South won't be ready for it IMO, that will be the fastest way to let them self-destruct. Administrative autonomy will be an important step eg in matters of policing, in LG financing creation and management (which should reduce the need for state creation), use of land resources etc

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 1:20am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

The decentralization of power shouldn't entirely wipe out Abuja's relevance. It will have a lot still. It's just won't be over-much like before. For example, offshore oil should still be under FG. And a drastic decentralization especially in matters of revenue (which boils down to oil money) won't be good. Even the South-South won't be ready for it IMO, that will be the fastest way to let them self-destruct. Administrative autonomy will be an important step eg in matters of policing, in LG financing creation and management (which should reduce the need for state creation), use of land resources etc

Why do you think the South South would self-destruct? The people need to start electing the right people. I believe the mentality of a lot of Nigerians is somewhat messed up, hence why most of the politicians are utterly corrupt. Everything is done based on sentiments and some don't even care about questioning their own leaders.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by rckdude: 1:31am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx: [s][/s]

Very good reply. Hope he shuts his mouth now.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 1:36am On Jan 02, 2014
Italiano1:

Apt reply!!!

Italiano1 the dapper-don, busting nyggahs' heads open with the verbal 12-guage shotgun since Slick Rick was singing la da di da di, and Doug E. Fresh was beat-boxing with his mouth. wink
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 1:37am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

Why do you think the South South would self-destruct? The people need to start electing the right people. I believe the mentality of a lot of Nigerians is somewhat messed up, hence why most of the politicians are utterly corrupt. Everything is done based on sentiments and some don't even care about questioning their own leaders.

Greed. They might start killing themselves for oil money. Communities there have in the past fought or quarelled over renumerations oil companies gave themnfor one reason or the otherm
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 1:37am On Jan 02, 2014
Uchiha Madara:

What about the implementation though?

Oh boy, one time when I was driving on Lekki Expressway and people were forming extra lanes, I actually pulled over at the next roundabout.

I wanted to speak to LASMA, but only soldiers were there then, so I spoke with them. I told them to please do something about people forming extra lanes on the expressway, that it was making the driving very chaotic. This one dude was just giving me excuses, and at the end he was even trying to hint for roger, lol.

Why does it have to take a loooooooong time? The driving situation I just explained to you above can be curbed NOW! So why wait?

Blame that on Nigerians who will never do their job efficiently in the civil service.

Fact is; if we have the best leader with best intentions in this Nigeria, it MAY not show.

It's just like human body; if the head is functioning properly but the other parts are doing whatever pleases them (sick), then the body in entirety is as good as dead, and not even the hard work of the head can save it.

For Nigeria to be alright; the leader with good intentions will have to import people to come and handle the affairs and implement stuffs grin. And punish Nigerians very well so they learn what is right by fire by force. If na Nigerians go dey implement laws, carry out maintenance of infrastructure etc....., then it will take a loooooong time!

deadline is; if this country would be sanitized anytime soon, everyone will have his fair share for years of law evasion. Even me! It maybe your house that will 'faragba' or your shop or even your investments or illegal businesses.....Them go impound cars taya! Like 10 Parking tickets go dey reach everybody daily for the first few months, heavy taxes, and lots of people will get arrested and thrown into jail (Electricity 'Direct connection' people, 'cheat' users, people wey dey throw wastes in drainages and various vandalism of Government properties one way or the other, etc). And people that have never paid taxes since they were born will finally see the record of their debts grin that may have reached millions - And they must pay up.

So are you guys ready for the real change? cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool. I am ready cool cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 1:46am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Greed. They might start killing themselves for oil money. Communities there have in the past fought or quarelled over renumerations oil companies gave themnfor one reason or the otherm

That's the flawed mentality I was alluding to. Even on this forum, if you can take time to discern the opinions and post pattern, everything is done based on bandwagon and ethnic sentiments - hence why you've so many political jobbers thriving here.

Perhaps, those who gave up on Africans and Africa did the right thing because I don't see a change soon, to be honest. Material wealth isn't really wealth. Once we as black people start understanding that, then maybe, just maybe, there would be a change. Why fight over oil money, when you can use it for communal developments and build institutions that future generations can consolidate on? smfdh
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 2:03am On Jan 02, 2014
CFCFan: u just dey look.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by hollypagan: 2:17am On Jan 02, 2014
mr_born_todo_it: Too many complaints, @ op . What have you personally done to improve your surroundings and better the life of your neighbors? Do your own part as a citizen and leave the rest.
what kind of question is this ,the best ordinary ppl can do is clean up execise,does he keeps agboro money in his pocket or tax money or do exepect him to use his fathers money to build roads
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 2:28am On Jan 02, 2014
speedyboi:

Blame that on Nigerians who will never do their job efficiently in the civil service.

Fact is; if we have the best leader with best intentions in this Nigeria, it MAY not show.

It's just like human body; if the head is functioning properly but the other parts are doing whatever pleases them (sick), then the body in entirety is as good as dead, and not even the hard work of the head can save it.

For Nigeria to be alright; the leader with good intentions will have to import people to come and handle the affairs and implement stuffs grin. And punish Nigerians very well so they learn what is right by fire by force. If na Nigerians go dey implement laws, carry out maintenance of infrastructure etc....., then it will take a loooooong time!

deadline is; if this country would be sanitized anytime soon, everyone will have his fair share for years of law evasion. Even me! It maybe your house that will 'faragba' or your shop or even your investments or illegal businesses.....Them go impound cars taya! Like 10 Parking tickets go dey reach everybody daily for the first few months, heavy taxes, and lots of people will get arrested and thrown into jail (Electricity 'Direct connection' people, 'cheat' users, people wey dey throw wastes in drainages and various vandalism of Government properties one way or the other, etc). And people that have never paid taxes since they were born will finally see the record of their debts grin that may have reached millions - And they must pay up.

So are you guys ready for the real change? cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool. I am ready cool cool cool cool cool

@ bold: Even tithe make sense pass tax because, at least, you feel good honoring God. But tax undecided For what ? A govt. yet to pave my street despite calls. In fact, it can't pave my street and they (esp LG people) are looking for ways to extort from shops, factories and if possible landlords too. How can I pay tax to a wasteful system of governance, and one that ultimately doesn't need my money. They be all comfy in the millions they get monthly, even the tens of million for getting severed ! sad SMH talk about rewarding pedestrian work.

Besides read on odious debt. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odious_debt I need not pay for debts the FG has incurred by not helping this state such as squandering $16bn on power under OBJ. And the taxes ain't small BTW. They aren't even realistic. You pay to state and LG. All business pay 10k to register and 5k year and a development levy of #100. Then a tax of 7% on your salary, technically even a student's pocket money can be taxed. If that isn't stupid, for a tax I can't make sure pays tell me what is. And BTW I get pissed off when I see 'Your tax at work signs' where a 'World Bank assisted project' board will later be raised. WTF do they take folks for ?
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 2:43am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia: CFCFan: u just dey look.
Lol.. I just dey observe tinz.

@topic: I think Fashola's strategy was to improve the infrastructure in areas heavily populated by the rich. The thinking was that such improvements would lead to increased economic activity from such folks, which will in turn increase their taxable income; which LASG would use to develop the non-affluent parts of the State.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by star95(m): 2:46am On Jan 02, 2014
In my humble opinion, I believe the topic should av been in

form of a question and not a sentence that looks too conclusive

If a thread like this could be opened for an imperfect man

who has tried his best to make things better compared to how

they used to be, then greater faultfinding, rejective threads

should be opened for other overlooked gullible governors.

P.S. Mind you, even most non Nigerians are aware of the rapid development in Lagos And Appreciate the work of the so called "hyped man" .
. ' . Lets all be constructive in our critism and also be non-sentimental.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 2:51am On Jan 02, 2014
@ star95: My criticism was constructive. It implies low-cost housing is needed. It suggests that the govt needs to take planning seriously and I've made it clear the policy should be containment. It lauds what has been done but suggests that more should be done in waste management. You saw theglass half-empty. You didn't see possibilities the criticism offered.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 2:53am On Jan 02, 2014
CFCfan:
Lol.. I just dey observe tinz.

@topic: I think Fashola's strategy was to improve the infrastructure in areas heavily populated by the rich. The thinking was that such improvements would lead to increased economic activity from such folks, which will in turn increase their taxable income; which LASG would use to develop the non-affluent parts of the State.

Hmmn. Dats anoda way of seeing it. And I differ for apparent reasons. Basics first.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by udemzyudex(m): 3:03am On Jan 02, 2014
T-ville:
@Op, again, like many people who come to disparage leaders (GEJ, especially) you failed to look at issues wholesomely and objectively too. Lagos State has over 500 secondary schools. Each is given not less than a million naira every session to carry out minor repairs and to procure equipment needed . This is in addition to proper government intervention in some schools, and teachers (of Maths, English and Bio) are trained.
LASU lecturers are not on strike because of emoluments. Gets your facts right.
I wish Nairalanders will learn to criticise and defend our leaders objectively, without any bias.
where did u get that info from?
no dey lie for here..

2 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by deept(m): 3:24am On Jan 02, 2014
speedyboi:

This is probably the best post ive read on nairaland. My thoughts exactly.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by RealMccoy2(m): 4:11am On Jan 02, 2014
Nigeria is not the problem but Nigerians. North, East, west and south, same ol same ol. Invite the likes of Bankole that obtain his education from a top tier universities to a public office, give him the lock to the cookie jar and then watch from a distance. grin grin Naijas can't obey traffic light sign yet they blame their government for incompetence. You think your state governors are corrupt? Visit a federal ministry, investigate a mere civil servant account and then you will know that corruption and greed is here to stay. I know a civil servant in Abuja that owns a house that is worth 2million dollars. No mortgage, cash payment.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by ddeola: 5:00am On Jan 02, 2014
Though he's trying, he's not perfect

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Sheggy13(m): 5:05am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

He is Tinubu's errand boy. I heard some health workers say that the Health commissioner in his cabinet was once Tinubu's chaffaeur when he went on exile to the US. Besides, their way of ruling is similar, it's too obvious he is Tinubu's godson.
@op, I initially wanted to take you seriously cos I thought u created this thread for objective criticism and discussion but this stupid comment of yours shows you're just a Fashola hater who see him no more than a mere errand boy and hence want these people who can't hold any of the nonperforming governors of their state of origin to task, to descend on him with hateful and spiteful comments; hence making them to have a jolly free ride. You refer to a governor of the most populated and complex state as an errand boy yet you want him to do miracles. In your bid to show how much you despise him, you even had to wrongly quote teachers' salaries based on hear-say without verification; still making the above comment based on the same hear-say and you claim to be educated. How many state governors came out of the blues? Most were associates of their predecessors. Is that what you mean by being an errand boy? Nobody is saying Fashola is the all and all but has done some things that are commendable and needs to be encouraged and still criticised objectivity to hold him to task and sit up. How many of these idiots who have contributed largely to Lagos problems with their unending immigration with no economic benefits, have opened threads to berate their state governors? In their small little world, only theirs is good enough, things from other places are mediocre yet they refuse to stop trooping in there in their droves.

6 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by anonimi: 5:06am On Jan 02, 2014
Italiano1:

And yet, under his administration, Lagos has witnessed the largest influx of migrants from other parts of Nigeria?

He must be doing a good job if some people would rather stay poor and destitute in Lagos than return to their states of origin- don't you think?

Where did u pull your COMPARATIVE statistics from -NPC website

2 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by jomoh: 5:11am On Jan 02, 2014
Its quite unfortunate how naive and shallow minded people(most nigerians) still are at this 21st century when ordinarily a 15year old will know why a state with a population of over 20million residents still appear underdeveloped like its bordering 'states' of populations less than 5million each despite having bigger land sizes.

Whether you choose to accept it or not lagos state will continue to be at this level until other states take up their economic responsibilities as a state which will reduce the number of immigrants into lagos state.

If they like let them build 10million low cost housing estates. The more u build the more the population will grow.

Lagos state is about the only active state in the whole of south-west in terms of economy. Others only wait for the federal allocation to run their states.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by anonimi: 5:12am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

20 million people in that small land mass should be a humanitarian crises, to be honest. The population shouldn't be more than 7 million.

Which census showed that 20m for Lagos STATE

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by qhiwegh(m): 5:12am On Jan 02, 2014
Igboland (including Onitsha, Enugu) for Igbos.
Hausaland (including Kano) for Hausas.
Bornu State for Kanuris.
Edo State for Binis.
Bayelsa (and its oil) for Ijaws.

BUT WHY IS YORUBALAND (INCLUDING LAGOS, THE CAPITAL CITY OF YORUBALAND) FOR EVERYBODY?

If Lagos only needed to take care of its Yoruba indigenes, it would be able to become a world-class city within one term of governorship. When all the people from Nigeria and even foreigners like Chadians and Nigeriens flood into our once beautiful city without any regard for its laws or order or sanitation, there's nothing a government of human beings could do to make the place liveable.

I'm not trying to hate, but simply telling it like it is. Develop your own cities. I couldn't be happier if the South East could boast a city that rivals Lagos in economic prowess.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by anonimi: 5:18am On Jan 02, 2014
qhiwegh: [b]Igboland (including Onitsha, Enugu) for Igbos.
Hausaland (including Kano) for Hausas.
Bornu State for Kanuris.
Edo State for Binis.
Bayelsa (and its oil) for Ijaws.
BUT WHY IS YORUBALAND FOR EVERYBODY?
If Lagos only needed to take care of its Yoruba indigenes, it would be able to become a world-class city within one term.

How about London for only oyinbo people
Is your comment smart at all?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Sheggy13(m): 5:21am On Jan 02, 2014
me_for_you: not only a failure but equally a heartless, igbo-hating nonentity

When he "deported " more people from Osun state before the Anambra saga, he wasn't an Igbo hater then but has suddenly become one. When will you lot stop tailing Fashola and hold your Orji or Obi accountable rather than giving them one praise-name or the other?..Pathetic and sentimental beings..
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by qhiwegh(m): 5:21am On Jan 02, 2014
anonimi:

How about London for only oyinbo people
Is your comment smart at all?

No, London is for English people (not French, Russian, Polish oyinbo). Why shouldn't people have their own cities to call their own? You're the one who's missing parts of your brain.

Do you want Chinkos, Lebanese, Indians to flood into your village and your towns? Stop forcing others to accept what you could not even tolerate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

APC Lawmakers Want Decisive Action Against 37 APC Defectors / Norfin Offshore: Udom Emmanuel Commissions Indigenous Shipyard (Photos) / President Buhari Arrives Nigeria From China (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.