Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,022 members, 7,828,597 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think (34024 Views)

Ben Bruce Flaunts His Made-In-Aba Shoes, Says They're As Good As Italian Shoes / Federal Government Is Not Treating Igbo People Right - Yerima / Democracy Or Which System Of Government Is Practice In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by auskenfine(m): 11:51pm On Jan 01, 2014
Outside Lagos or better still outside the country, we are made to love Fashola as a hard working governor. Maka why?
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 11:53pm On Jan 01, 2014
ba7man: I've lived in Lagos all my life. I witnessed the decays of the 80s and 90s and for once someone comes along to do something about it...............................Then someone from a less obscure location starts condemning his effort.

If that person had being more concerned about his home zone, he won't be in Lagos complaining.

BTW, both John Smith and Pocahontas died and didn't live full lives but i love that song in the cartoon.

Lagos is my home zone. If na by state of origin it's likely you aren't a Lagosian. I didn't just complain, I criticized with GOOD reasons. Then I made a suggestion you've consistently closed your eyes too. In fact, I doubt you saw suggestions I made in the OP. Such is the problem of confirmation bias. Not seeing places for improvement: how will you see it if you don't complain or criticized it. At best you'll be lazy about it like you are now.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jan 01, 2014
*rolls eyes* Wetin concern me? Btw, Nothing can stop me from loving the laws Fashola invented.

but really, The turning around of Lagos will take a looooong time. That city is what I call STRESS itself.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by ba7man(m): 11:55pm On Jan 01, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Are you from Lagos ? And why I have every right to be concerned as one born and bred in Lagos. I am concerned about my state, and by extension the country, but the part of Lagos I stay is my home in every meaningful sense of the term. Get used to that.
Yes I'm from Lagos Island.

I witnessed what the past Millitary regimes did to lagos and i know Fashola is the first Governor in decades to effect change that wasn't possible even by past Millitary Administrators.

He's not perfect but compared to the clowns we have running majority of the other states in the Country, he's a visionary.

I just prepared a proposal for "affordable housing " and "Planned Market Streets" i plan on presenting to a Government ear on Monday (Wish me luck). I'm trying to represent the change i want to see rather than complaining on NL when i have no solution to offer.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 11:55pm On Jan 01, 2014
Yomieluv: How do you expect a governor to fix the rot of many years of neglect,if other governors had been performing,fasola's input would have been felt,so don't expect miracle to happen too soon.

I don't. And with Fashola's kind of governance you might wait up to 50 years before u see it. That's good, because with Jonathan I would say 3 centuries, he is that much of a tortoise. For the OBJ's and Buharis it would take forever: they are they old problems yet to pass away.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 01, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

I made a suggestion you are overlooking. In fact, I think the people in charge should have been on it. They should go for containment by trying to regulate how structures are built with the local govt. Keep postponing it till later and you court disaster; it is that same spirit which put us in the palaver we are in now.

I honestly don't think those who planned the city expected the kind of population influx the city is experience now. However, it's a bit too late to start regulating already dense populated and built up areas now - else a lot of folks would be displaced. And I don't think the state is rich enough to compensate millions of people. But the only thing they can do is to plan the new satellite towns - and ensure they don't end up like the humanitarian crisis in proper Lagos, especially the mainland.

I'll post the population growth of Lagos from the 1800s in a bit.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 01, 2014
ba7man: Yes I'm from Lagos Island.

Darn!! Never knew that - salute!
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by mojeer678: 11:57pm On Jan 01, 2014
checkdate: will you do better than him if you are made the governor of lagos state?

You're missing the point. Yet, we still wonder why the failure rate in WAEC & NECO is increasing annually?

To help you, here's a primer:

https://www.nairaland.com/1466253/lagos-said-working-when-nigeria
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Ashmark(m): 11:59pm On Jan 01, 2014
Fashola is not doing anything..I can say it to him face to face..All is hype, over hype

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 02, 2014
speedyboi: *rolls eyes* Wetin concern me? Btw, Nothing can stop me from loving the laws Fashola invented.

but really, The turning around of Lagos will take a looooong time. That city is what I call STRESS itself.

What about the implementation though?

Oh boy, one time when I was driving on Lekki Expressway and people were forming extra lanes, I actually pulled over at the next roundabout.

I wanted to speak to LASMA, but only soldiers were there then, so I spoke with them. I told them to please do something about people forming extra lanes on the expressway, that it was making the driving very chaotic. This one dude was just giving me excuses, and at the end he was even trying to hint for roger, lol.

Why does it have to take a loooooooong time? The driving situation I just explained to you above can be curbed NOW! So why wait?
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:00am On Jan 02, 2014
ba7man: Yes I'm from Lagos Island.

I witnessed what the past Millitary regimes did to lagos and i know Fashola is the first Governor in decades to effect change that wasn't possible even by past Millitary Administrators.

He's not perfect but compared to the clowns we have running majority of the other states in the Country, he's a visionary.

I just prepared a proposal for "affordable housing " and "Planned Market Streets" i plan on presenting to a Government ear on Monday (Wish me luck). I'm trying to represent the change i want to see rather than complaining on NL when i have no solution to offer.

You will never realize the value of the complaint till you lose it. Complaint is like itches or pain; they tell you something is wrong and in an institution like governance it is important to know HOW to work with it. A pity you DID NOT see solutions I offered. You DID NOT even see how I acknowledged what he has done.

I was born in Lagos Island BTW. In fact I schooled there.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by ba7man(m): 12:04am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

Darn!! Never knew that - salute!
At ease Soldier.

Its actually overrated.

I'm still stuck with the trauma of Lagos Island turning from a residential area filled with Brazillian styled bungalows to a full scale ghetto spare-part market.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by willibounce: 12:05am On Jan 02, 2014
me_for_you: fashola from Ondo state, the igbo hater, is the worst scam of all.

It is not a matter of igbo hating. Any normal n honest human being knws tht fashola n his master are conmen jst like evry other naija politicians.
No wonder d white men still see us as monkeys. How can u elect someone to serve u, and when he construct a road which is jst one of his numerous duties, ppl take to d street in aso ebi and start dancing n singing praises of sme1 who is doing his job, not wit his personal money but public funds. Meanwhile he gets paid for his job.

The most annoying thing is when they talk mega city. Mega city where u breed touts. Lagos doesn't comprise lekki alone. Why abandon other areas. They are so desperate for money tht they are beginning to sell part of d lagoon, sand filling it jst for money. When they go broke, the demolish ppls properties and claim they got no C of O. Very soon, they'll Lagos to d chinese.

Mr Fashole, why is it so hard to ban agberos?

3 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:05am On Jan 02, 2014

Population of Lagos, 1800-1993

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:06am On Jan 02, 2014
I believe the influx in the 70s and early 90s messed up the city.

A city should never grow that fast.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:09am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

I honestly don't think those who planned the city expected the kind of population influx the city is experience now. However, it's a bit too late to start regulating already dense populated and built up areas now - else a lot of folks would be displaced. And I don't think the state is rich enough to compensate millions of people. But the only thing they can do is to plan the new satellite towns - and ensure they don't end up like the humanitarian crisis in proper Lagos, especially the mainland.

I'll post the population growth of Lagos from the 1800s in a bit.

Maybe not. But that doesn't excuse the failure of successive governments. A homework for later might be to read up on how the FG managed Lagos while they were here. Considering the half-baked job being done in Abuja I can assume it was very poor. BTW Abuja itself has rapidly growing slums. The only fine parts are those really managed by FG for aesthetic reasons. If not, mmmmnn !

They don't need to displace people ! Not now ! As I said, containment first. Try and make it not too bad. This is where low cost housing may help a lot. Fashola said people forget Lagos has a good rural sides and those places are fast developing. Up coming places like that is what I'm considering. I went to Ayobo 7 years back and the place was a bee-hive of new structures randomly built. I can imagine how haphazard it will be. If there was containment, the physical planning people have one less problem to solve in a whole nexus of this concrete mess.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:10am On Jan 02, 2014
ba7man: At ease Soldier.
Its actually overrated.

I'm still stuck with the trauma of Lagos Island turning from a residential area filled with Brazillian styled bungalows to a full scale ghetto spare-part market.

Definitely not. I admire the Brazilian influence in that part of Lagos. Saw some of the colonial houses there and some of the streets have Brazilian names. Interesting, I must say. My pops was born and raised on the Island as well.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Tville(m): 12:12am On Jan 02, 2014
@OP, whoever told you Lagos State Teachers collect 10-15k per month lied told you and you gullibly believe that. Seriously? Level 8 teacher in Lagos State collects not less than 54k while normal civil servant collects 52k. Even a level 4 officer takes home over 25k per month.
Always get your fact right before you post your opinions, please.
Moreover, I'm not sure Fashola is responsible for the planning of Lagos State landscape. To restructure the rambling and unplanned clusters of houses within the metropolis goes beyond the state level. And it is going to be very capital intensive. VERY. Note that by opening up the Ikorodu, Epe and Badagry axes via road remodelling, LASG plans to open up those peripheral axes so as to decongest the city. So I believe.
Anyways, I believe Lagos still has a long way to go. But many states in Nigeria still trail the state.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by ba7man(m): 12:13am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

You will never realize the value of the complaint till you lose it. Complaint is like itches or pain; they tell you something is wrong and in an institution like governance it is important to know HOW to work with it. A pity you DID NOT see solutions I offered. You DID NOT even see how I acknowledged what he has done.

I was born in Lagos Island BTW. In fact I schooled there.
Alright, I guess i was too in a hurry to drive my point across i didn't digest yours.

I've also being affected by the negative aspects of Fashola's Government and I've witnessed demolitions that almost moved me to tears. There can never be a perfect Government, PDP, APC etc.......there will always be short-commings.

The Nigerian (Human) factor is always lurking around the corner to downplay any policy which means we, the citizens have our part to play.

I'll just keep coming up with percieved solutions till one is accepted............and i hope it will aid me in making the World a better place.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:14am On Jan 02, 2014
ba7man: At ease Soldier.

Its actually overrated.

My Dad made money from that spare part market , so it is very useful. And Brazilian building still dey name. I been stroll around Moline side during Experience dey see dem. grin E don they since I dey watch all those flogging during festivals in Idumota. BTW that Idumota is a perfect case sample of poor urban planning. Wetin make fire reach that side eh ! Nigerians dey lucky, when fire finish oyibo cities like LA, nobody needed to tell them to grow sense and plan well.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by LyfeJennings(m): 12:19am On Jan 02, 2014
Moronic observations
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:22am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Maybe not. But that doesn't excuse the failure of successive governments. A homework for later might be to read up on how the FG managed Lagos while they were here. Considering the half-baked job being done in Abuja I can assume it was very poor. BTW Abuja itself has rapidly growing slums. The only fine parts are those really managed by FG for aesthetic reasons. If not, mmmmnn !

They don't need to displace people ! Not now ! As I said, containment first. Try and make it not too bad. This is where low cost housing may help a lot. Fashola said people forget Lagos has a good rural sides and those places are fast developing. Up coming places like that is what I'm considering. I went to Ayobo 7 years back and the place was a bee-hive of new structures randomly built. I can imagine how haphazard it will be. If there was containment, the physical planning people have one less problem to solve in a whole nexus of this concrete mess.

I understand your point. However, don't you think you're asking for too much from a state whose total budget is about £2 billion ($3.2 million)? You can't manage over 20 million people with that. Bear in mind that structures/houses aren't regulated in Nigeria, as they're done in advanced countries. I believe most people buy lands and build whatever structures they want on them.

Also, most Nigerians are intolerant. If the Lagos state government were to promulgate any laws, to deal with the decay, best believe most of the people complaining on this thread, would be ones whining about their ethnic groups and the poor being targeted.

To save Lagos, it has to be a concerted effort by all the state governors and the FG. The FG has to build new cities and help get some of the load off Lagos. And the other state governors need to do their jobs, to encourage reverse migration.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:24am On Jan 02, 2014
T-ville:
@OP, whoever told you Lagos State Teachers collect 10-15k per month lied told you and you gullibly believe that. Seriously? Level 8 teacher in Lagos State collects not less than 54k while normal civil servant collects 52k. Even a level 4 officer takes home over 25k per month.
Always get your fact right before you post your opinions, please.
Moreover, I'm not sure Fashola is responsible for the planning of Lagos State landscape. To restructure the rambling and unplanned clusters of houses within the metropolis goes beyond the state level. And it is going to be very capital intensive. VERY. Note that by opening up the Ikorodu, Epe and Badagry axes via road remodelling, LASG plans to open up those peripheral axes so as to decongest the city. So I believe.
Anyways, I believe Lagos still has a long way to go. But many states in Nigeria still trail the state.

' She said SOME new teachers get paid #10-15k monthly' That's what I wrote. Your point is noted though. And I'm sure there is some misunderstanding, I will ask the person again if I'm chanced. I think other states will trail till other urban centres rise in Nigeria. Because Lagos is easily the most innovative based on the assortment of its population alone which gathers the best (and maybe worst) of almost, if not all, tribes. states of Nigeria.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by ba7man(m): 12:26am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

Definitely not. I admire the Brazilian influence in that part of Lagos. Saw some of the colonial houses there and some of the streets have Brazilian names. Interesting, I must say. My pops was born and raised on the Island as well.
Cool. I've refurbished one before and it was a wonderful experience.

All you need do is change the roofing, windows and doors. Tile the floors, partition walls, fittings and finishings, paint and you have a home that can withstand a 100 years or even more.

@op. Those collapsed houses you speak of wear built during the Millitary regimes in the 80s and 90s. They are highly sub-standard and fully occupied.

If Fashola decides to chase people out of them for demolition, people will still complain that he's robbing them of their homes..........and mind you, there are thousands of them in Lagos.

My proposal on housing even involves locating those types of buildings, evacuating them, demolishing and rebuilding them with the land owners retaining stakes in the new building to be constructed..............................Convincing the Land Owners is now the main problem.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Tville(m): 12:30am On Jan 02, 2014
@Op, again, like many people who come to disparage leaders (GEJ, especially) you failed to look at issues wholesomely and objectively too. Lagos State has over 500 secondary schools. Each is given not less than a million naira every session to carry out minor repairs and to procure equipment needed. This is in addition to proper government intervention in some schools, and teachers (of Maths, English and Bio) are trained.
LASU lecturers are not on strike because of emoluments. Gets your facts right.
I wish Nairalanders will learn to criticise and defend our leaders objectively, without any bias.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by mojeer678: 12:31am On Jan 02, 2014
DIVINE78: @op Bend over and stick your baised opinion up your arse. By the way,tell us the state you come from and lets compare your governors performance with Fashola's. Fashola is shoulder high above his peers and has done wonderfully well.

What a daft comment? Must you talk at all? SMH!
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:34am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

I understand your point. However, don't you think you're asking for too much from a state whose total budget is about £2 billion ($3.2 million)? You can't manage over 20 million people with that. Bear in mind that structures/houses aren't regulated in Nigeria, as they're done in advanced countries. I believe most people buy lands and build whatever structures they want on them.

Also, most Nigerians are intolerant. If the Lagos state government were to promulgate any laws, to deal with the decay, best believe most of the people complaining on this thread, would be ones whining about their ethnic groups and the poor being targeted.

To save Lagos, it has to be a concerted effort by all the state governors and the FG. The FG has to build new cities and help get some of the load off Lagos. And the other state governors need to do their jobs, to encourage reverse migration.

The thing is that I was actually looking at the solution outside of FG because they are 'on a long thing'. Note I said in the OP "There is so much (maybe I should have written 'only so much') a govt can do in a centralized govt". If you want to take it the FG you must look at its structure and as long as Abuja is where Lagos looks to for money, while an opp. party (in a place like Naija) hold power, you won't expect FG to help out. This was all-to-clear under Uncle Sege's regime. I would very much wish we can reduce the power in Aso rock. Their starngle hold on oil money checked. The aberattion of FG's (NASS) determining a states LG and similar absurdities removed etc. etc. If the confab works out, which is unlikely, that is a dream. So LASG has to focus on what they can do.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:34am On Jan 02, 2014
smiley

3 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by meforyou1(m): 12:34am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

Why are you tribalising the thread? When Italiano1, superstar1, eggheaders and the rest invade the thread and start verbally decimating your ethnic group, you would run to Afam, to come lock the thread. I still don't know why you lot whine about every darn thing, for fvck sake.
me me-for-you run to afam4eva? Has never happened and will never happen.
And saying that fashola is non-working igbo hater is a perfect fact.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by ba7man(m): 12:36am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

My Dad made money from that spare part market , so it is very useful. And Brazilian building still dey name. I been stroll around Moline side during Experience dey see dem. grin E don they since I dey watch all those flogging during festivals in Idumota. BTW that Idumota is a perfect case sample of poor urban planning. Wetin make fire reach that side eh ! Nigerians dey lucky, when fire finish oyibo cities like LA, nobody needed to tell them to grow sense and plan well.
I never had problems with the Markets too. I had Igbo friends back then that sold spare-parts and they were nice peeps too.

You know we over-do things in Nigeria if there's no form of regulaation so it was the over-crowding that followed that was the bane of those markets.

You're so right about the unplanned nature of Idumota.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Tville(m): 12:37am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

' She said SOME new teachers get paid #10-15k monthly' That's what I wrote. Your point is noted though. And I'm sure there is some misunderstanding, I will ask the person again if I'm chanced. I think other states will trail till other urban centres rise in Nigeria. Because Lagos is easily the most innovative based on the assortment of its population alone which gathers the best (and maybe worst) of almost, if not all, tribes. states of Nigeria.
New teachers EMPLOYED BY THE STATE were graduates, and as such, they were placed on Level 8 step 1. Therefore, their salary is 54k. That's is the fact.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by mojeer678: 12:38am On Jan 02, 2014
LyfeJennings: Moronic observations

You must have been smoking your weed again!

Haven't you read somewhere on NL that wet weed is dangerous?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Ali Modu Sheriff & Obanikoro At APC National Convention / Al-mustapha For President In 2015 Rally In Kaduna / Ife Chiefs Confirm Ooni Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.