Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,823 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

"How Large Was Noah's Ark?" - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" (51219 Views)

Of What Use Was Noah's Flood If It Couldn't Stop Wickedness? / Real Reasons Titanic Sank And Noah's Ark Sailed / Are Large/Mega-churches Biblical? How Large Is A Church Supposed To Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrAboki: 3:35pm On Jan 08, 2014
Joshthefirst: toh. May we see na.

grin

according to which dating standards?

according to which dating standards?

no. Gimme your evidence then. There are only archaeological records that secular scientists date with faulty dating methods.

the bibilical records state that the water reserves beneath the crust broke open, and the rains fell constantly and torrentially for 40 days.
So it would have been very easy.

we're considering the possibility of a flood, I have said this earlier. You cannot consider this possibility that would have cause enough crust and landscape modifications with the view of contemporary landscape today.

as I said, you cannot argue this possibility with modern landscape.

go and read the record of the flood again, this time without religious or irreligious bias, like a true scientist that you are. grin

Now this is getting ridiculous..

Archeaologists and Scientists that have discovered these ancient Pyramids and dated them using Carbon Dating (the most accurate form of dating available to mankind) have come out with their findings and you still dont agree..

The Bible which was written by unknown people, with outrageous stories, no present evidence to back it up, never been verified AND then compiled by the Catholic church under the orders of a King who was trying to use religion as a form of control says it... You dont ask for Dating or proof, you just agree.. grin

O now I believe you... I never considered the water beneath the earth... grin DAMN YOU UNDERGROUND WATER... angry grin
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by TheSaintz: 3:38pm On Jan 08, 2014
phuck_NL: The tale of Noahs ark is actually what it is "TALE"
I bet it was blown out of proportion. What probably happened was a localized flood where he probably saved a handful of domesticated animals.
If anyone believes he saved all the animals in pairs, you need to have yourself checked out. If the leaders that we have today CAN LIE to us with all the technological devices we have today, why is it implausible for people who lived centuries ago to have LIED also. The tale is a MYTH.

with the technologies that is available today, scientist wrote this, pls check the website below

http://www.worldmag.com/2013/12/fossil_finding_shakes_evolutionary_theories

some extract from the website.......
The baffling discovery of DNA evidence that does not fit with current theories of human evolution is causing scientists to rethink the whole story of human biological development, Juan Luis Arsuaga, a paleoanthropologist at Universidad Complutense de Madrid, told The New York Times this week.

Georgia Purdom, molecular geneticist and associate of Answers in Genesis, believes the fossils found in Spain represent human descendants of Noah’s family who migrated out from the Tower of Babel approximately 4,250 years ago and likely became isolated from other human populations. She holds the Young Earth view of creation that the earth was created in six days 6,000 years ago.

please once again i appeal to to that want prove not just to read only the bible but read other historic books from india, ancient persia and then some modern journals and a deep search on the web, and then you will know the truth
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Kelly32: 3:44pm On Jan 08, 2014
Please I think we should calm down and watch then we can decide if the story in the bible is true or false.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7iycpe16V0
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by 989900: 3:52pm On Jan 08, 2014
Kelly 32: Please I think we should calm down and watch then we can decide if the story in the bible is true or false.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7iycpe16V0

For some that believe in the bible maybe, yes. However their are holes in the claims from a critic's point of view.

However history and scientists do acknowledge there was a flood.
In the late 1990s, Columbia University geologists William Ryan and Walter Pitman proposed that a great flood in the Middle East resulted from rising water levels at the end of the last Ice Age about 7,000 years ago. At that time, the Black Sea was a freshwater lake and the lands around it were farmlands. When the European glaciers melted, the Mediterranean Sea overflowed with a force 200 times greater than that of Niagara Falls, converting the Black Sea from fresh to saltwater and flooding the area [source: National Geographic].
National Geographic Society explorer Robert Ballard, inspired by Ryan and Pitman's hypothesis, has discovered supporting physical evidence, including an underwater river valley and ancient shoreline as well as Stone Age structures and tools beneath the Black Sea. His team has also unearthed fossils of now-extinct freshwater species dating back some 7,460 to 15,500 years.

Now, carbon-14 dating flaws are some entirely different issue.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 3:58pm On Jan 08, 2014
Joshthefirst: lol. Go and read the bible again. This time objectively. Go and read the records of early believers. Why would they lie? No man in his right senses will see the bible in all its prophecies and deny the fact that it is extra-ordinary.

Why wouldn't they lie is my question!!!!!!!
Ancient man has been known to lie on so many issues.
They used fear back in the days to control people. From the Egyptians to the Roman empire.
What makes this any different. I have read it several times. What I am basically telling you is that I don't believe what they compiled that they lied.

What if I told you that I believe that ODUDUWA came from the sky. What would you say?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by adexsimply(m): 4:31pm On Jan 08, 2014
I don miss sad sad
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by AjaoMT2: 4:31pm On Jan 08, 2014
Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
Gen 1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Gen 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
Gen 1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

We can see from verse 2 that the the entire earth was flooded initially before God separated the waters above from the one below and had to gather the one below to one place before land could appear.
The question is, could the person who separated the waters initially not flood it again?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 4:34pm On Jan 08, 2014
AjaoMT2: Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
Gen 1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Gen 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
Gen 1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

We can see from verse 2 that the the entire earth was flooded initially before God separated the waters above from the one below and had to gather the one below to one place before land could appear.
The question is, could the person who separated the waters initially not flood it again?

You miss the point totally. The question is not whether it is/was written in the Bible. The question is the "authenticity" of the story. Is this so hard to decipher?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrAboki: 4:36pm On Jan 08, 2014
AjaoMT2: Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

The Question should be: If Nobody existed as at the time of creation and the Book of Genesis was allegedly written by Moses who was born hundreds of years after Noahs Flood, and millions of years after the 'creation of earth', how the fhuck did he know all these..

O Wait!!!!! I'm sure you answer is; GOD TOLD HIM..

Which brings me to Question number two: WHO VERIFIED THAT?!

grin

Allahu Akbar!

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 4:40pm On Jan 08, 2014
Mr Aboki:

The Question should be: If Nobody existed as at the time of creation and the Book of Genesis was allegedly written by Moses who was born hundreds of years after Noahs Flood, and millions of years after the 'creation of earth', how the fhuck did he know all these..

grin

Allahu Akbar!

That my friend is a question I'd like to be answered. But wait, we already know what the answer will be. You have to have FAITH.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by aliciakeith7: 4:41pm On Jan 08, 2014
Evil Brain: How did Noah fit 2 million insects (1 million species x 2) into the ark? And how did be manage to fit 12,000 amphibians, 20,000 birds, 11,000 mammals, 16,000 reptiles and god knows how many crustaceans, arachnids and mollusks into a boat that must have already been overflowing with insects? Where did he find space to keep a years worth of food for all those animals? How did he keep the meat for the Lions, tigers and other carnivores fresh for a whole year? Why did he take mosquitoes, tapeworms, guinea worms and the HIV virus aboard the ark? Did he infect himself with all those parasites, or did he force his wife and children to carry them? How come all the animals didn't freeze to death at 9,000 metres altitude (the height of Mount Everest which must have been underwater) Where did they find oxygen to breathe at that height? What did all the animals eat after getting off the ark? All the plants must have died after a year underwater, and all the animals would have drowned so no food for herbivores or carnivores. How come all the fish in the ocean survived? Saltwater fish can't survive in freshwater and the ocean would have been massively diluted with all that rain. Or did the ark also have a salty fish tank with space for 60,000 fish (30,000 species x 2)? And how did he feed all those fish?

Not that I'm doubting this ark story mind you. Its in the Bible after all, so it must be true. I'm just curious about a few technicalities. I'm sure you have good explanations for all of them.
That's just the power of God. Nobody knows how he/she manages to sleep and wake up the next day. Only God knows.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by aliciakeith7: 4:45pm On Jan 08, 2014
Mr Aboki:

grin

Allahu Akbar!

Allah told Muhammad to write the quoran. Then he wrote it. How did you know it was Allah who directed him to write it? WHO VERIFIED THAT?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrAboki: 4:48pm On Jan 08, 2014
aliciakeith7: Allah told Muhammad to write the quoran. Then he wrote it. How did you know it was Allah who directed him to write it? WHO VERIFIED THAT?

If you ever speak about Prophet Muhammed (SAW) or Allah again... angry

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 4:51pm On Jan 08, 2014
^^^^^^

This thread is about Noah's Ark. Abeg don't turn it into a religious war. The two of you should end it immediately juh.
You can create another thread for that.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by 989900: 4:59pm On Jan 08, 2014
Mr Aboki:

hmmm... that about sums it up.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrPresident1: 5:00pm On Jan 08, 2014
The stories in the bible are not to be taken literally. This is the mistake a lot of people are making. The stories are not literal. They are allegorical, metaphorical etc with a lot of symbolism. The bible is loaded with with layers and layers of hidden meanings. Snakes talking, trees moving, donkeys talking all have meanings that are not apparent to the casual, flippant, wicked or dishonest observer. The book interprets itself, inside the book itself are the keys to the secrets. You cannot be wicked and understand the Bible. You cannot do the things that are forbidden by The Most High God and yet understand His word. He chooses whom to bestow His secrets on, and even at that there are different levels of understanding.

The Bible is the single most powerful book in circulation, it has the capacity to turn men into living gods, gods on earth.

Please do not disdain what you do not understand. Approach The Almighty God with reverence and He may just reveal His secrets to you, after testing your sincerity of course. He sees into you heart and understands your motives far more than you do.

The story of the flood is not literal, and as with many other stories/words in The Great Book, specific meanings of words have morphed overtime.

Hold God in reverence and approach Him with trepidation, it may be that He would have mercy on you and show you His salvation.

wink wink
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by adexsimply(m): 5:04pm On Jan 08, 2014
phuck_NL: ^^^^^^

This thread is about Noah's Ark. Abeg don't turn it into a religious war. The two of you should end it immediately juh.
You can create another thread for that.
That was sarcasm grin

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by adexsimply(m): 5:09pm On Jan 08, 2014
Mr President: The stories in the bible are not to be taken literally. This is the mistake a lot of people are making. The stories are not literal. They are allegorical, metaphorical etc with a lot of symbolism. The bible is loaded with with layers and layers of hidden meanings. Snakes talking, trees moving, donkeys talking all have meanings that are not apparent to the casual, flippant, wicked or dishonest observer. The book interprets itself, inside the book itself are the keys to the secrets. You cannot be wicked and understand the Bible. You cannot do the things that are forbidden by The Most High God and yet understand His word. He chooses whom to bestow His secrets on, and even at that there are different levels of understanding.

The Bible is the single most powerful book in circulation, it has the capacity to turn men into living gods, gods on earth.

Please do not disdain what you do not understand. Approach The Almighty God with reverence and He may just reveal His secrets to you, after testing your sincerity of course. He sees into you heart and understands your motives more than even you do.

The story of the flood is not literal, and as with many other stories/words in The Great Book, specific meanings of words have morphed overtime.

Hold God in reverence and approach Him with trepidation, it may be that He would have mercy on you and show you His salvation.

wink wink
I'd assume he chose to "bestow his secrets on you", could you please explain the "secrets" behind "Noah and the ark" then? Then you could kindly tell me how I can be a partaker of the "secrets" too..Thanks
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jan 08, 2014
@evil brain, etc and dominique;
by dominique(f): 9:30am On Jan 02

Evil Brain:

The numbers I quoted refer to the species alive today. If they weren't all admitted to the ark, then how did they survive?

lol, I've thought about it myself. how did he fit in all the animals in an ark in pairs. most of the animals alive today were not in existence back then. evolution occurred and one animal re-evelved to about 10 different species. that's the only scientific explanation i can give for it.
my response here is because i believe reasonable thinking and fact/knowledge are siblings of the same birth. the Islamic view is that the animals kept in the ship were the local landed animals of the flooded place.

the flood itself is local and not global because it was meant to wipe out 'evil people'. anyone who reads surah hud and surah noah can easily see that it was local because Noah was the only Messenger/Prophet [AS], considering that it was much earlier in the lives of created man on earth and the reason for the destruction was the acceptance of the prayer of Noah [AS] that Allah rid the earth of his time the unrepentant adulatory people.

human spread on earth depends on the wider population, vis a vis procreation. for us the creationists, we know God exists and He created man [1 man, then his mate and they began parenting of their diverse children from them, all of us. believers and disbelievers alike without no son of man except that he or she is from this source with or without intercourse to come to live], with wisdom behind it; to show Mercy to all and tremendous reward of His Gracefulness [Gratitude] to the obedient of His Command because He created Jinn and Man with command to worship Him.

the localized flood covered the needed area and time, etc for the evil to perish.humans have not migrated further to cover more that what single Messenger/Prophet [AS] could cover because God says in the Quran that He will never be unjust. every evil soul heard the warning of the warner, Messenger/Prophet Noah [AS] who preached for 950 years. those who were with him on the vessel were the ones who accepted the warning and were on guidance. even a son of his rejected and was among the perished.

there is no way any ship could have contained all landed animals, of the world and the ones that were enemies could have survived in such a close proximity. i have not even spoken about the animals in the waters and in the air. water animals need no rescued from 'water [temporary sea in this case of the flood]', their natural habitat. the animals in the air do not need rescue either, because they easily survive by flying away from the place of disaster. both need only to know that disaster is coming and get far away from what was meant for man. animals feel while humans will stubbornly ignore both warning until the yoke of disaster is witness before human regrets.

Quran provided the evidence for localized flood, hence localized housing of landed animals. the rest the localized valley/plain of flood were okay.

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrPresident1: 5:56pm On Jan 08, 2014
adexsimply:
I'd assume he chose to "bestow his secrets on you", could you please explain the "secrets" behind "Noah and the ark" then? Then you could kindly tell me how I can be a partaker of the "secrets" too..Thanks

Mr President:

wink wink
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Rexyl(m): 5:57pm On Jan 08, 2014
Mr Aboki:

meaning... more people are knowing you by your fruit and they will definitely place you where you belong ...
you are talking about killing when people are taking time to discuss matters from inside out. you are telling them that you have reserved a permanent place for yourself in the darkness which people should not attempt to talk about... Or what do you mean?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by adexsimply(m): 5:58pm On Jan 08, 2014
Mr President:

it may be that He would have mercy on you and show you His salvation.

You mean it's not even sure? sad
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrPresident1: 6:00pm On Jan 08, 2014
adexsimply:

He tries the reins of the heart. If your motives are not pure, you will never understand wink wink
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Caracta(f): 6:01pm On Jan 08, 2014
adexsimply:

Smh...
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by adexsimply(m): 6:04pm On Jan 08, 2014
Mr President:

He tries the reins of the heart. If your motives are not pure, you will never understand wink wink
*sighs* ..I hate parables
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrPresident1: 6:06pm On Jan 08, 2014
adexsimply:
*sighs* ..I hate parables

Jeremiah 29:13
And ye shall seek me, and find [me], when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
wink
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by adexsimply(m): 6:06pm On Jan 08, 2014
Caracta:

Smh...
Can you imagine? It's not sure sad sad
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrPresident1: 6:17pm On Jan 08, 2014
adexsimply:
Can you imagine? It's not sure sad sad

Daniel 2:28
But there is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets,

Job 1:1
There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name [was] Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

Job 28:28
And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that [is] wisdom; and to depart from evil [is] understanding.

Ecclesiastes 12:13
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man

Keep all these verses in mind as you take your first tentative steps toward Him. He will find you. wink wink wink

Shalom
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by joe4christ(m): 6:26pm On Jan 08, 2014
abacus Cm: The bible (original one) is a scripture from God but today's bibles contain many contradictions due to human errors.Infact there are 101 errors in today's bible

e.g 1. Who incited David to count the fighting men of Israel?

God did (2 Samuel 24: 1)
Satan did (I Chronicles 2 1:1)
2. In that count how many fighting men were found in Israel?

Eight hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)
One million, one hundred thousand (I Chronicles 21:5)
3. How many fighting men were found in Judah?

Five hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)
Four hundred and seventy thousand (I Chronicles 21:5)
4. God sent his prophet to threaten David with how many years of famine?

Seven (2 Samuel 24:13)
Three (I Chronicles 21:12)
5. How old was Ahaziah when he began to rule over Jerusalem?

Twenty-two (2 Kings 8:26)
Forty-two (2 Chronicles 22:2)
6. How old was Jehoiachin when he became king of Jerusalem?

Eighteen (2 Kings 24:cool
Eight (2 Chronicles 36:9)
So therefore bible version of Noah's Ark may not be true.

Wait o, are you for or against pka pka?
Ah, never knew there are contradictions like this in the bible o.
Oma se o!
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by DavidHunds(m): 6:46pm On Jan 08, 2014
Evil Brain: How did Noah fit 2 million insects (1 million species x 2) into the ark? And how did be manage to fit 12,000 amphibians, 20,000 birds, 11,000 mammals, 16,000 reptiles and god knows how many crustaceans, arachnids and mollusks into a boat that must have already been overflowing with insects? Where did he find space to keep a years worth of food for all those animals? How did he keep the meat for the Lions, tigers and other carnivores fresh for a whole year? Why did he take mosquitoes, tapeworms, guinea worms and the HIV virus aboard the ark? Did he infect himself with all those parasites, or did he force his wife and children to carry them? How come all the animals didn't freeze to death at 9,000 metres altitude (the height of Mount Everest which must have been underwater) Where did they find oxygen to breathe at that height? What did all the animals eat after getting off the ark? All the plants must have died after a year underwater, and all the animals would have drowned so no food for herbivores or carnivores. How come all the fish in the ocean survived? Saltwater fish can't survive in freshwater and the ocean would have been massively diluted with all that rain. Or did the ark also have a salty fish tank with space for 60,000 fish (30,000 species x 2)? And how did he feed all those fish?

Not that I'm doubting this ark story mind you. Its in the Bible after all, so it must be true. I'm just curious about a few technicalities. I'm sure you have good explanations for all of them.
.. Sorry but are you a philosopher?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:55pm On Jan 08, 2014
The first recorded weather forcast in earth history was 100% accurate. It came from the ultimate meterologist, The One who created the weather!

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Swiftboy(m): 6:57pm On Jan 08, 2014
Which of God's work's explainable?lol is it a fairytale that the sun burns in space and has never quenched? Do you need explanation how it started burning? What or who caused the big bang? Do you know ocean can cover the whole earth because of its depth? Can you imagine how big the universe is? Do you know that in the face of the universe,the solar system's like a bulb lightening dust particles moving around it? Oh no all that are all lies if I tell you there are billions of such in our milky way alone and Hundreds of millions of galacy in the universe! Lies huh? How dare you argue about the story that's inspired by the one who made all that! And if you doubt HE's the one who made them all,you need to ask for the evidence! So by faith we know those things happened...evidence of faith? Well faith is an evidence all by itself!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

Pictures From The Dedication Of RCCG City Of David Trinity Towers / DSTV Censors "God" and "Jesus" On All Their Stations? / Deeper Life Lady Lists '20 Facts' About Godly Female Members Of Her Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.