Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,035 members, 7,863,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 12:44 AM

The Battered Wife Syndrome? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Battered Wife Syndrome? (3703 Views)

Should She Be Beaten And Battered Or Abandoned To Her Fate / Lamentations Of A Battered Husband / Battered, Bruised But Still Hanging On To Your Boyfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 06, 2008
Well i read it again, and it doesn't say that the wife was battered by her husband, so i really dont understand, pa-pa dim and onyinye, she only said she was battered by her husband, which was her cover-up.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by papadims: 11:54pm On Aug 06, 2008
onyinye2:

Have you ever met a woman who was being abused? guess not.

i haven't met one. but which life is better, living with a beast at home or spending the rest of your life in jail or ending your life pre maturely (death sentence)?

pc guru,

that was why i said no matter what happened ABSOLUTELY no one has the right to KILL another person. whether it was true or a calculated act , she is GUILTY, PERIOD.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by DeepZone: 12:49am On Aug 07, 2008
Murder is a bitch. undecided undecided
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 2:16am On Aug 07, 2008
I agree with her lawyer. It was defense.

If a woman has been abused countless times, she'll do anything to get out of that situation, esp. if she fears his next abuse.

Depends on what the abuse is. Well, abuse is abuse sha! The man deserved it. Atleast it was painless, me I would have suffocated him or strangled him.

Poor woman, her actions must have been the effect of fear, who could blame her?

As to your question, why should women be allowed to kill because of fear?
SINCE you men still consider women as fragile creatures, then women will continue to be looked upon as innocent and defenseless. Even some women that should be put to jail, they'll be allowed to roam free, awaiting their next prey.

This is why we're telling y'al it's time for equality, but nooo!!

Moreover, Why should men be allowed to abuse their wife? What is the catalyst that drives them to such action? Sometimes human beings baffles me!
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by KarmaMod(f): 2:25am On Aug 07, 2008
what is she defending herself against in sleep?
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 2:29am On Aug 07, 2008
KarmaMod:

what is she defending herself against in sleep?
Who knows?
Maybe he was abusing her with his snorings?

On a serious note, maybe her lawyer was just trying to use any tecnique to get her out of trouble?
I mean, who could blame a woman that "took care" of an abusive man, by herself?
Lady couldn't take it anymore, enough was enough. She did what she had to do.
Depressing that she got caught embarassed
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Outstrip(f): 3:10am On Aug 07, 2008
dreeldee as far as he was breathing he posed a threat as far as she is concerened. This is why it is always best to leave the first time he slaps you or shoves you. It only gets to this point after a long history of physical and mental abuse.

I think what the judges need to start doing is looking at the history of the relationship. If she had a chance to get out and CHOSE not to then she contributed to the abuse. I know it sounds harsh but you do have control over things like this.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by eldee(m): 4:20pm On Aug 08, 2008
Ruby_Pearl on Yesterday at 02:16:04 AM :
As to your question, why should women be allowed to kill because of fear?
SINCE you men still consider women as fragile creatures, then women will continue to be looked upon as innocent and defenseless. Even some women that should be put to jail, they'll be allowed to roam free, awaiting their next prey.

This is why we're telling y'al it's time for equality, but nooo!!
Here we go again . . . reh reh reh
The equality card always work doesn't it?

In the UK, it's now a civil offence for a company to pay a man more money than his female counterpart when they do the same job.
It's this same UK that has women winning everything in courts, the law's having an open loophole, and lawyers never cease to use it.
I'm questioning the moral backing here . . . and u're telling me bout equality

Moreover, Why should men be allowed to abuse their wife? What is the catalyst that drives them to such action? Sometimes human beings baffles me!
Men are NOT allowed to abuse their wives!!!
Don't say what you don't know tongue
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Moyola(f): 4:28pm On Aug 08, 2008
Was reading on the net about one convicted killer, she was arrested for killing her husband
Fine, there's nothing new bout sumn like that, but the funny part is the fact that she claimed it was 'self defence'

This is kind of strange given the fact that she shot her husband in his sleep
He was defenceless, at his weakest, posing no threat to her safety at that exact moment

Her defence lawyer claimed she was suffering from the after-effect of consistent abuse, he pled the battered woman syndrome

My question is Is this 'syndrome' not just another attempt by the law to leave a loophole for criminals to escape?
Since it has been proven that every killer does so for a reason, why should women be allowed to kill because of fear'

IMO. . . . "Battered Wife Syndrome" is a meanz of justifying a woman for killin her huzband. . .
based on the fact that she haz really suffered long-term violence in marriage.

I don't think iz a kind of attempt by d law to leave loophole for criminals 2 escape!
As such women would be convicted of a lesser offence like Manslaughter rather than Murder.!!!
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by eldee(m): 6:32pm On Aug 08, 2008
Moyola:

IMO. . . . "Battered Wife Syndrome" is a meanz of justifying a woman for killin her huzband. . .
based on the fact that she haz really suffered long-term violence in marriage.

I don't think iz a kind of attempt by d law to leave loophole for criminals 2 escape!
As such women would be convicted of a lesser offence like Manslaughter rather than Murder.!!!

Clemency Granted to 25 Women Convicted for Assault or Murder for 'Battered Spouse Syndrome
This was in Ohio as far back as 1990
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Aug 08, 2008
eldee:

Here we go again . . . reh reh reh
The equality card always work doesn't it?

In the UK, it's now a civil offence for a company to pay a man more money than his female counterpart when they do the same job.
It's this same UK that has women winning everything in courts, the law's having an open loophole, and lawyers never cease to use it.
I'm questioning the moral backing here . . . and u're telling me bout equality
Wetin be reh reh reh gan? eyin omo UK ati isokuso yin angry
Hmm, but UK is begining to sound pleasant, hmm1 tongue

As to your statement, there is no moral backing in a woman killing her hubby ( embarassed ), but when it comes to self-defense ( In general), one does not care if there's moral or not, he/she must do anything to protect himself/herself.

If a man is abusing his wife or husband (  lipsrsealed ), then he better expect same treatment or sth worse, later on.

eldee:

Men are NOT allowed to abuse their wives!!!
Don't say what you don't know tongue
Of course not, the word is not that crazy.
But some humans are just brutal enough to think that a woman is a toy, a toy which can be played with anyhow
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by eldee(m): 6:59pm On Aug 08, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

Wetin be reh reh reh gan? eyin omo UK ati isokuso yin angry
Hmm, but UK is begining to sound pleasant, hmm1 tongue

As to your statement, there is no moral backing in a woman killing her hubby ( embarassed ), but when it comes to self-defense ( In general), one does not care if there's moral or not, he/she must do anything to protect himself/herself.
Self defence is 'This dude is coming to me with a knife, if I don't shoot him, he'll kill me'
It's has to be during a threat to your life and has to be equal or lesser effect than the original threat
A man in his sleep poses no danger
It's not even a crime of passion, it COLD-BLOODED murder
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 08, 2008
eldee:

Self defence is 'This dude is coming to me with a knife, if I don't shoot him, he'll kill me'
It's has to be during a threat to your life and has to be equal or lesser effect than the original threat
A man in his sleep poses no danger
It's not even a crime of passion, it COLD-BLOODED murder
Seems like you didn't see the "In general" after the self defense.
Maybe the lady feared being abused when he wakes?
She was defending herself from future abuse

You don't even know the whole story behind it all.
Maybe he threaten to kill her later on, who knows?
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by eldee(m): 7:29pm On Aug 08, 2008
ruby_pearl: Seems like you didn't see the "In general" after the self defense.
Maybe the lady feared being abused when he wakes?
She was defending herself from future abuse

You don't even know the whole story behind it all.
Maybe he threaten to kill her later on, who knows?
Nlanders and their incredible ability to produce may-bes
If you're defending yourself from future abuse, RUN!!! Get him restrained!!! Kill him when he's flipping awake
Not when he's asleep, cut off from the entire world undecided
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 08, 2008
eldee:

Nlanders and their incredible ability to produce may-bes
If you're defending yourself from future abuse, RUN!!! Get him restrained!!! Kill him when he's flipping awake
Not when he's asleep, cut off from the entire world undecided
Not everyone is perfect.
Same goes to a robber that knows he'll be bankrupt later, but instead of getting a job, he spends like he don't care.
Humans are not the exact example of Perfection, sometimes they don't think before they act. sad, isn't it?
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by eldee(m): 7:44pm On Aug 08, 2008
Ruby_Pearl: Not everyone is perfect.
Same goes to a robber that knows he'll be bankrupt later, but instead of getting a job, he spends like he don't care.
Humans are not the exact example of Perfection, sometimes they don't think before they act. sad, isn't it?
AHA!!! So the poverty-stricken robber should be punished
The fraudulent senator should be punished
But the cold-blooded murderer shouldn't. Why? Because Toyin thinks she's not perfect!! cheesy
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 08, 2008
eldee:

AHA!!! So the poverty-stricken robber should be punished
The fraudulent senator should be punished
But the cold-blooded murderer shouldn't.
No, she should not be punished.
The man deserved it! If he hadn't brutally abused her, then she woudn't have done what she did.

eldee:

Why? Because Toyin thinks she's not perfect!! cheesy
Yes, I don't think am perfect.
But that's not the reason why I think she should go free.
Not because she's not perfect either, but because the murder was the cause of the "murderess" trying to protect herself.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by eldee(m): 8:10pm On Aug 08, 2008
Ruby_Pearl: No, she should not be punished.
The man deserved it! If he hadn't brutally abused her, then she woudn't have done what she did.
What you just described now is not self defence, it's JUNGLE JUSTICE

[quote Ruby_Pearl]Yes, I don't think am perfect.
But that's not the reason why I think she should go free.
Not because she's not perfect either, but because the murder was the cause of the "murderess" trying to protect herself. [quote][/quote]
How many times do I need to scream that you can't protect yourself against someone that's not attacking you at the moment undecided
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Aug 08, 2008
eldee:

What you just described now is not self defence, it's JUNGLE JUSTICE
How many times do I need to scream that you can't protect yourself against someone that's not attacking you at the moment undecided
As long as it is justice.
So you're saying that she should have killed him while he was awake?
Potato potata, he was still going to get killed anywaz.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by eldee(m): 8:23pm On Aug 08, 2008
Ruby_Pearl: As long as it is justice.
So you're saying that she should have killed him while he was awake?
Potato potata, he was still going to get killed anywaz.
She should have killed him when he was attacking . . . c'est fini
Haba . . . I'm nodding off already
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 08, 2008
eldee:

She should have killed him when he was attacking . . . c'est fini
Haba . . . I'm nodding off already
While he was attacking her ke?
Do you know his size, his strength?
Do you know her motif for killing him while he was asleep?
Don't you think she feared him overpowering her while he's awake?

Some women are psychos, no matter how much a man abuse them, they'll always feel for him.
Maybe she attempted to kill him before, but he sweet talked her out of it, she loved him too much to kill him while he was "finally" admiring her.
She couldn't take it anymore! Had to kill him while he was sleeping, when he couldn't move or do anything about it!
I've watched such cases on CrimeTv, it may be just a TV show, but it's cases that can actually happen. Which I think it's same as the case you brought up on your thread.

~you're not the only one nodding off here, I must take my nap now. bodi dey tire, ya know. laterz~
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by NegroNtns(m): 9:26pm On Aug 08, 2008
For self defense, you can kill someone in their sleep but you will have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that not doing so will definitely put your own life at risk, including violent death.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by jgirl3: 1:47am On Aug 09, 2008
I love the idea of this syndrome. I believe it really exists because it's a deep psychological state of mind.
However, this will be the reason i'll use when i finally shoot HIM
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 2:18am On Aug 09, 2008
She had the guts to shoot? Why didn't she use that same guts to simply walk out of the relationship?
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by eldee(m): 2:35am On Aug 09, 2008
stillwater: She had the guts to shoot? Why didn't she use that same guts to simply walk out of the relationship?
You're a genius!!!
Have you ever considered a career as a DA cheesy cheesy
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 2:42am On Aug 09, 2008
Hmmm, it never crossed my mind. cheesy
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 3:50am On Aug 09, 2008
stillwater:

She had the guts to shoot? Why didn't she use that same guts to simply walk out of the relationship?
It's not that easy, esp. if she has children by him
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 4:00am On Aug 09, 2008
Is it also easy killing the father of your kids?
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 4:06am On Aug 09, 2008
stillwater:

Is it also easy killing the father of your kids?
Why not when he'a beating her in from of her kids?

No all women are strong enough to just step aside and find the right escape route.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 4:08am On Aug 09, 2008
she sure must have inhibited the rge for dat man overtime, and perhaps and more likely,she is schizophrenic
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 4:10am On Aug 09, 2008
Schizo kini?

She was being abused! Of course she'll develop rage for him.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 4:16am On Aug 09, 2008
thats the poinjt am driving at, developing rage could take her from the simple to the catatonic stage of schizo.no ordinary dude will pick up a gun to the pop of her kids

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Will You Allow Your Wife To Use Her Real Pictures On Facebook / Can You Live Life Being Single? / Somebody Help: Genotype Issues Is Killing Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.