Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,597 members, 7,812,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women - Romance (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women (23112 Views)

Who Here Gets Along With Jamaican Men? / See The Popular Herbs Big Babes Use In Hooking Their Men In The North / Why Do Nigerian Men Like Fat Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by 190: 1:41am On Dec 31, 2010
^^She is in love, she stole my heart,i stole her's thats it, angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 1:44am On Dec 31, 2010
^^humph! so you're thieves? angry
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by 190: 1:45am On Dec 31, 2010
^^yes you taught me how 2 steal~
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 4:52am On Dec 31, 2010
Not sure where the poster gets the idea that Nigerian men don't get on with Jamaican ladies in the UK.

It's not been my experience as a Naija man o.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 5:14am On Dec 31, 2010
j-girl said:

Nigerian men in Uk do not get along with Jamaican women because most of them are a bunch of idiots who try and imitate Jamaican men. When they try and imitate their men. Jamaican women get pissed off and can't get along with them. Do you all know how many Nigerian men in UK are that silly and that insecure about their nationality?

Hisssssssssssss, bunch of pathetic rapscallions.

I'm not sure what hole you crawled out of, but you need to understand that Nigeria is a very very cosmopolitan country, which has absorbed, re-fashioned and re-disseminated the full spectrum of popular global trends for well over a century.

Most universities for instance have a reggae club, packed with reggae buffs and Nigerian rastas with authentic paraphernalia. Their club nights in huge halls resemble any dancehall scene in Kingston or Montego Bay. Whole musical bands, some highly successful, have risen up for at least the past 30 years, feeding dedicated Naija reggae fans in their millions.

Take 2face for instance. His popular song African Queen plays around the world including on Jamaican radio till date. It sounds like something by a Jamaican, with its heavy reggae influences. But to my knowledge 2face never stepped foot in Jamaica before he sang that tune. He won the MOBOs, Kora Awards, MTV Awards etc for that song. He could do that because he grew up in that scene right there in Nigeria.

Due to this long term exposure to these global currents, many young Nigerians into the 'yard' thing who've never left the country speak passable Jamaican patois when rolling or fooling around with their crew etc. The same social connection exists in other genres, from Afrobeat to Juju, to R&B and hip hop.

So, a good many of the guys you think are 'trying to imitate Jamaican men', are actually just being themselves, having been into that whole scene wayyyy before they left Nigeria.

The problem stems from what some of you foreigners expect an 'African' to be like I think. But Naija is just too  cosmopolitan and complex for such presumptions.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by lagbaja20: 5:31am On Dec 31, 2010
^^^

Well said, but very wrong conclusions

Those patois speaking Nigeria are just trying to be Jamaicans. Period.

No Nigerian speaks passable Jamaican. We are talking about a group of people still struggling to articulate their ideas in English language, yet you conclude that they are somewhat fluent is a language they've only come in contact with via TV and audio records

Haba

Photocopy is photocopy. Full stop.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 5:41am On Dec 31, 2010
^^Hey jackass, pidgin and patois are from the same root languages. Dunce.

ROSSIKE:

j-girl said:

I'm not sure what hole you crawled out of, but you need to understand that Nigeria is a very very cosmopolitan country, which has absorbed, re-fashioned and re-disseminated the full spectrum of popular global trends for well over a century.

Most universities for instance have a reggae club, packed with reggae buffs and Nigerian rastas with authentic paraphernalia. Their club nights in huge halls resemble any dancehall scene in Kingston or Montego Bay. Whole musical bands, some highly successful, have risen up for at least the past 30 years, feeding dedicated Naija reggae fans in their millions.

Take 2face for instance. His  popular song African Queen plays around the world including on Jamaican radio till date. It sounds like something by a Jamaican, with its heavy reggae influences. But to my knowledge 2face never stepped foot in Jamaica before he sang that tune. He won the MOBOs, Kora Awards, MTV Awards etc for that song. He could do that because he grew up in that scene right there in Nigeria.

Due to this long term exposure to these global currents, many young Nigerians into the 'yard' thing who've never left the country speak passable Jamaican patois when rolling or fooling around with their crew etc. The same social connection exists in other genres, from Afrobeat to Juju, to R&B and hip hop.

So, a good many of the guys you think are 'trying to imitate Jamaican men', are actually just being themselves, having been into that whole scene wayyyy before they left Nigeria.

The problem stems from what some of you foreigners expect an 'African' to be like I think. But Naija is just too  cosmopolitan and complex for such presumptions.

WOW!  shocked I am impressed!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 5:44am On Dec 31, 2010
lagbaja20 said:

Well said, but very wrong conclusions

Those patois speaking Nigeria are just trying to be Jamaicans. Period.

No Nigerian speaks passable Jamaican.

How many Nigerians have you met? How many people do you know? How old are u sef? I hope u know some of us have been hanging out in Naija for a loong time, probably before you were born.

We are talking about a group of people still struggling to articulate their ideas in English language

You've just shown yourself to be a daddy's girl/prat who was probably never let out after 4pm. Why don't you let those of us who've been hanging out when you were under lock and key tell it like it is?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by lagbaja20: 5:47am On Dec 31, 2010
ROSSIKE:

lagbaja20 said:

How many Nigerians have you met? How many people do you know? How old are u sef? I hope u know some of us have been around in Naija for a loong time.

You've just shown yourself to be a daddy's girl/prat who was probably never let out after 4pm. Why don't you let those of us who've been hanging out before you were born tell it like it is?

Well, Born and Bred in Lagos
Schooled in Nigeria

First degree from Lag

What else do you want to know?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 5:50am On Dec 31, 2010
What year were you first let out the house after 6pm?

How many unis did u visit out of the 100 in the country?

You sound like an ajebota girl. And I can't stand your type coming online to say what goes in Naija, because you don't know.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by lagbaja20: 5:55am On Dec 31, 2010
^^^

This is becoming ridiculous

Just so you know, I know more Jamo wannabe Nigerians than you will ever know

You might as well say: Rap music originated from Nigeria, and that the Nigerian rappers like eedris AbdulKareem are just being themselves

I understand how you feel, but the truth needs to be told.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 6:00am On Dec 31, 2010
lagbaja20 said:

^^^

This is becoming ridiculous

Just so you know, I know more Jamo wannabe Nigerians than you will ever know

You might as well say: Rap music originated from Nigeria, and that the Nigerian rappers like eedris AbdulKareem are just being themselves

I understand how you feel, but the truth needs to be told.

You're ridiculous to automatically equate cultural diffusion with identity crisis.

I guess it's fair game to say you're 'not being yourself' when you put on a skirt or lipstick, a swimsuit, perm your hair, or write/speak in English.

I guess it's fair game to say you're trying to be white?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by 190: 11:35pm On Apr 22, 2011
cos most of the jamo women here are really rough outwards

rough hairstyles, blazin flags and dressings and weed and their language scares us

hence scaring our men away, but i know of 2 good jamo ladies

who are dating my friends and they are so different from the rest bunch cool
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 11:38pm On Apr 22, 2011
lol @ rap music comes from Nigeria. Rap music is purely Jamo and American. Has nothing to do with Africa what so ever.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Rossikk(m): 12:19am On Apr 23, 2011
^^^ Don't write about things you don't know.

''The roots of hip hop are found in African-American music and ultimately African music. The griots of West Africa are a group of traveling singers and poets who are part of an oral tradition dating back hundreds of years. Their vocal style is similar to that of rappers. The African-American traditions of signifyin', the dozens, and jazz poetry are all descended from the griots.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music#Origins
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 12:23am On Apr 23, 2011
First of all I am both American AND Jamaican.
I study my history and am well knowledgeable about rap.

Jamaicans used to CHANT and talk in rhyme to drum beats.
During the late 1960's we created what is known as dub poetry
that became known world wide by performers such as the honorable
and Rastafarian activist MUTA BURUKA. In the 1970s
Jamaicans began traveling to the US in DROVES, settling primarily
in New York in the Bronx and Brooklyn, where their African American
neighbors used to "par" or hang with them. Rap music was formed from this bond.

Thank you *takes a bow*  cool cool
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by 190: 12:28am On Apr 23, 2011
Rossikk:

^^^ Don't write about things you don't know.

The roots of hip hop are found in African-American music and '[size=48pt]'ultimately African music[/size]. The griots of West Africa are a group of traveling singers and poets who are part of an oral tradition dating back hundreds of years. Their vocal style is similar to that of rappers. The African-American traditions of signifyin', the dozens, and jazz poetry are all descended from the griots.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music#Origins

wow, all hail afrika

the symbol of civilization
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 12:29am On Apr 23, 2011
and WHY DID YOU FORGET TO PASTE THIS PART?  grin grin grin grin grin grin

Block parties were usually accompanied by music, especially funk and soul music. The early DJs at block parties began isolating the percussion breaks to hit songs, realizing that these were the most dance-able and entertaining parts; [size=14pt]this technique was then common in Jamaica (see dub music) and had spread via the substantial Jamaican immigrant community in New York City[/size], especially the godfather of hip hop, DJ Kool Herc. Dub had arose in Jamaica due to the influence of American sailors and radio stations playing R&B. DJ Kool Herc

Large sound systems were set up to accommodate poor Jamaicans, who couldn't afford to buy records, and dub developed at the sound systems (refers to both the system and the parties that evolved around them). Herc was one of the most popular DJs in early 70s New York, and he quickly switched from using reggae records to funk, rock and, later, disco, since the New York audience did not particularly like reggae. Because the percussive breaks were generally short, Herc and other DJs began extending them using an audio mixer and two records. Mixing and scratching techniques eventually developed along with the breaks. As in dub, performers began speaking while the music played; these were originally called MCs; Herc focused primarily on DJing, and began working with two MCs, Coke La Rock and Clark Kent -- this was the first emcee crew, Kool Herc & the Herculoids.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! TYPICAL!

In other words Dub Poetry + American disc jockying = rap.

Africans from ages 40 and up believe(d) rap to be foolishness so how in the hell
did it come from them? Even AKON thought it was senseless when he first came to the states.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by chiogo(f): 12:34am On Apr 23, 2011
LOL@ Rap music being Jamaican.

Yea. . .if you count Busta. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 12:34am On Apr 23, 2011
chiogo:

LOL@ Rap music being Jamaican.

Yea. . .if you count Busta.  grin

I see you are illiterate  cheesy

Like I said [size=28pt]Rap music is Jamaican and American, end of story[/size] nothing more, nothing less.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by chiogo(f): 12:40am On Apr 23, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

I see you are[b] illiterate[/b]  cheesy

Like I said Rap music is Jamaican and American, end of story

Coming from you, that's very funny! cry
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 12:42am On Apr 23, 2011
cheesy cheesy <<<< see I am laughing too!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by 190: 12:47am On Apr 23, 2011
ROTFLMFAO!!

Buahahahahaaa, i got the last laff

[size=38pt]WHOBEMUMU[/size]

@Post::

Cos they are not marriagable
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by chiogo(f): 12:52am On Apr 23, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

cheesy cheesy <<<< see I am laughing too!
Laugh it up, girl. smiley tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 12:54am On Apr 23, 2011
Lol. My bad for the name calling.
You are entitled to your opinion.
btw I FEEL like we have spoken
on here before from waaay back. . .hmmm.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by chiogo(f): 12:58am On Apr 23, 2011
Apology accepted tongue
I only remember commenting on your first thread, which was a rant. hehehe
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 12:59am On Apr 23, 2011
LOOOOOOOOL I REMEMBER! grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 4:57am On Apr 23, 2011
@topic:

we represent two diff. cultures. we get along more than we don't.
but if its meant to be it will be other wise it's no big deal. Jamos will
remain being Jamos. cool

iyaade said,
@ davidylan

what are you on about? what do you know about west indian ladies? You're over in the uk or america, never having been to the islands, and screw over one J-can, call HER crazy then label all of us? please,

you're better off with your white chicks if that's what you want, we don't need your ignorance in our lives. Next.

they ain't nothing but haters. Bottom line. smiley
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by chic2pimp(m): 5:18am On Apr 23, 2011
Who says they don't?Some of em' do will others don't . . . . .However Nigerian Women and Jamaican Men is an entirely different issue altogether.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 5:21am On Apr 23, 2011
chic2pimp:

Who says they don't?Some of em' do will others don't . . . . .However Nigerian Women and Jamaican Men is an entirely different issue altogether. 

yea. I don't think Caribbean men for the most part are really into African women. (vice versa)
No offence. I think they are quicker to go to AAs and Latinas than African it COULD be from stereotypes but who knows.

but what is certain is Caribbean/Jamo women and African men are common. I know of 5-7 of these JW/AM relationships
all resulting in children and engagement/marriage. Open minded African men and Caribbean women flow well together.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by chic2pimp(m): 5:29am On Apr 23, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

yea. I don't think Caribbean men for the most part are really into African women.
No offence. I think they are quicker to go to AAs and Latinas than African.
it COULD be from stereotypes but who knows.

I definitely think it has something to do with stereotypes. i.e They see education as unnecessary rather than a priority and also the Babby Daddy sydronme.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In U.k Not Get Along With Jamaican Women by Nobody: 5:50am On Apr 23, 2011
chic2pimp:

I definitely think it has something to do with stereotypes. i.e They see education as unnecessary rather than a priority and also the Babby Daddy sydronme.

right. luckily for me I come from a JAMO family where the men all have degrees and have made use of them.
It is a shame how much we black folks judge and separate from eachother. I think God allowed slavery to happen
so we would appreciate our diversity and no matter where we go, we are resilient and soulful, therefore
one but only a few of us see it this way. Some Caribbean ppl HATE being classified as African, and some Africans
would rather we not refer to Africa as the 'Motherland' (as one miserable Nigerian man told my mom and her cousin after
they turned him down lol, smh).

For some reason it's the wanting to sample grin grin curiousity of African men and the "wanting to know Africa" traits of
Caribbean women that draw them together. The clash comes when it's time to 'tame' us West Indian Amazon warriors LOL grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Haitian Beauty Meeting Nigerian Family / Don't Marry Anyone Who Puts Password On Their Phone - Counselor Warns / Hot Naija Babe Flaunts Her Nipples And Curvy Backside In Sexy Lingerie (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.