Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,852 members, 7,862,785 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:29 AM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (552) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (517698 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (549) (550) (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) ... (776) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by bluehorizo(m): 4:18pm On May 07, 2008
Emmanuel Adebayor has been added to Barcelona's list of players to watch this summer with the Catalan club preparing to launch a bid for a new forward to bolster their options.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by loyika(m): 4:31pm On May 07, 2008
I heard Bayern want to bolster their squad by luring Phillipe Senderos from Arsenal to come to Munich, Bayern's president says that after going down like b@tches to a club from Russia, Senderos is the kind of player they need to stop the rot in defence.

Apparently, since the whole arsenal squad is on the verge of leaving the team, they want to be the first to put in their bid for such a promising defender, before other big clubs come in to swoop the talented lad.

Apparently, they are looking at making a bid of 15 million pounds, which they feel is reasonable for a player of Senderos's quality. Regardless to say, Wenger is angry and disappointed, as Senderos was an intergral member of his building project.

The Arsenal manager was quoted as saying; Bleep £$£%6 $%^66 *&&!! And he further went on to say; £$%^%%$^&^$^&&!!

Following this development, one can clearly see the demise in Arsenal FC, as they lose player after player, and one would not be surprised if they finished behind teams like Spurs, blackburn and Newcasatle next season.

Story can be followed here;

www.arsenalisdoomed.com/bayernmakesmoveforsenderos

cool GOONER 89
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by eldee(m): 4:32pm On May 07, 2008
Arsene Wenger:
I must say I am disappointed that he did that but legally he can do it

Arsene Wenger: We were close this year but we did not win and what I expect from my team is for them to say 'let's come back next year and win'

Arsene Wenger: If our players are not capable of doing that and just want to walk out for bigger contracts, for me that would be the biggest disappointment

Arsene Wenger: If they cannot do that then it means I was wrong completely in my whole judgement of this team

Arsene Wenger: So let's come back and show we are winners. That is the real target of the team

In The Sun's special dictionary that the general public has no acess to, this quotes from Wenger equate with the word 'blasts'
I don't know why they made their papers 20p if they're this desperate to make money
My dayz, how does this correlate 'blast' undecided?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Akolawole(m): 4:56pm On May 07, 2008
@Loyiks

Dont run away.

Yes Sun is nonsense but BBC is ok grin Here we go

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7388054.stm

Honestly, i like wenger and Arsenal too.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by loyika(m): 5:10pm On May 07, 2008
So Akola

What exactly is your point

Cause right now that article is not making sense WHHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO GET ACROSS

GOONER 89
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by justkunmi(m): 5:18pm On May 07, 2008
loyika:

WHHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO GET ACROSS

the point in the article. . . i guess grin grin grin cheesy grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by loyika(m): 5:21pm On May 07, 2008
And the point in the article is what exactly JK

GOONER 89
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by justkunmi(m): 5:31pm On May 07, 2008
didnt read the article. . . grin
why should I bother?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by loyika(m): 5:38pm On May 07, 2008
So what you are saying is, like everyone else, you feel that Kolawolesky usually has nothing to get across grin grin

You should have just been plain from the begining JK instead of hiding your mind. I FEEL THE SAME WAY TOO grin grin

Let me leave you Landlubbers alone till tomorrow, gotta run cool

cool GOONER 89

Hope the whole club hasn't been sold to Milan by the time i get home grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by justkunmi(m): 5:41pm On May 07, 2008
LMAO. . grin grin grin

Wenger's next to Milan
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mystikal(m): 6:14pm On May 07, 2008
Arsene Wenger's policy of bringing in young players and buildin them together is fantastic if all the players stay and improve together but it is pointless if we have 1 or 2 players leaving every summer.

At Highbury we could afford to pay our top earners £100,000 a week (Henry, Vieira etc) but obviously due to the stadium move and financial restructuring we have had to chop down our wage bill until the highbury flats are sold and the debt is mostly paid off then we can increase our wages throughout the whole squad and keeping players should be less of an issue, well that is what I am hoping for.

As long as we play the most attractive football there is, then we are going to have these big dicks of europe sniffing around our players.
Wenger is a victim of his own success and the style of football he promotes. This will continue to be the case with our most gifted players until playing for the Arse has the same panache, fame and financial reward as playing for the big european clubs + manscum utd

having said that, I love Arsenal dearly and I think that the sun shines out of Arsene Wengers' arse. But these are the realities of the modern game and we may have to wait a few years yet before we can truely stand shoulder to shoulder with the giants of the game. We have always punched way above our weight with Wenger in charge but the new stadium will not deliver its promises over night.

And I dare say that the likes of SAF, avraminho, benitez would not do better than wenger @ the moment given our financial situation if they were arsenal managers
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 7:36pm On May 07, 2008
justkunmi:

the point in the article. . . i guess grin grin grin cheesy grin

Which is
justkunmi:

didnt read the article. . . grin
why should I bother?

Oh buzz off you irritant
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 7:40pm On May 07, 2008
loyika:

I heard Bayern want to bolster their squad by luring Phillipe Senderos from Arsenal to come to Munich,

Finally,my 3-year prayer is about to be answered.
But are you sure it was only senderos,what of that annoying eboue fella
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by cescky(m): 9:04pm On May 07, 2008
hmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm
@jackal, did u just learn word Arrow? justs wandering though

flamini this flamini that blalala,what makes anti arsenal fans think makoun or whoever flams replacement will be will not be better?

whats the guaranty flam will get a first team shirt in milan? do you all know that gatusso,is from the legendry feared italian family,the mafioso,(thats why he behaves as he likes)thats if he decides to stay at milan ,not to talk of flam discovering the same form?

for hleb it will be sad for him leaving,but if only wenger can clip kroncjer from portsmouth he will definitly be a better buy tha hleb,apart from the fact that he as skilled as hleb,he scores from the spot and is also a wonderful free kick taker which arsenal lacks(lets leave vp out of it).by the way how about that arsenal boy that went to barca, whats his name?? kiric i think whats up with him,really wenger needs just one tip top sriker to finish adebayors riding of defenders and cescs passes and one experienced cb and watch how we sweep the whole titles
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 10:50pm On May 07, 2008
First of all, that article by Ibime is complete and utter bollocks!

Arsenal not loyal to Flamini?? With the rubbish he was pulling last season, he's lucky AW gave him a chance! Imagine Essien telling AG or JM that he won't play left back?? That is absolute disloyalty, at that point AW must've feared this player would jump ship. We dropped our best performer of last season Gilberto for him to play and someone said the situation was left late?

Comparing not giving Flamini a deal to Cesc's 7 year deal?? Some people can be so myopic - only seeing back as far as 9 months. Flamini was great this season no doubt, but apart from the 2006 CL run, he was only marginally better than Ali-are-you-diere grin grin

The article is thoroughly revisionist and is utter nonsense - if players of the Calibre of Cesc stayed at Arsenal under the current wage structure, then why not Flamini? He had his sights set on bigger fish - more money and more prestige and went for it. No one begrudges him that at all - he left for arguably the best clubside in the world outside of Real and Barca so why the hue and cry?

A short 9 months ago, people wanted Flamini sold to B'ham and now they are crying like he was the saviour of Arsenal.

This nonsense about losing '1 or 2 players every season' is BOLLOCKS too - I ask who did we lose last season that would've made a difference this time around?? Is it Old Man Ljunberg who couldn't beat my grannie in a foot race grin grin or is it Ali-slap-you-there or Matt Connolly??

Previous season who did we lose? Pires granted was a bit painful, but at 32, players can leave whenever - Campbell was washed up, Lauren had lost pace too so where exactly is this losing 'one or two players' coming from?

MU sold off Heinze last season, Liverpool sold of Garcia, Gonzales and a whole bunch where did they end up? We were only 4 POINTS BEHIND the winners this season, but still the myopia here is stunning.

Flamini had one good season and now he is the shit, its like saying pay Eboue 60 grand cos he had a good CL run grin grin

The main issue has been not enough high quality intakes to replace the greats like Lauren, Vieira, Keown and co - not any losses - very few if any players have left Arsenal and become outstanding successes, most leave and you see why AW let them go - even Reyes who was flattering at the end of last season is nowhere to be seen now.

AW's talk with the AST was instructive - he wants a CB (strengthen defence) a creative player in midfield, but no mention of an attacker and of course, replace Flamini.

This means to me that Walcott will play centrally next season, and we will gamble again on RVP remaining fit and on Dudu coming back to full form. Its slightly disturbing, but I think If we get one more midfielder to score goals like Cesc, we can do it with the firepower on hand. A team that, with a little more defensive coherence would've beaten Chelski, MU and Liverpool away in the final stages of the season. That for me is highly crucial, then a few other additions.

Sagna came in and was excellent, beyond excellent even, Dudu scored 12 goals in his debut season in Western Europe before injury, those were very promising buys, a couple more like those and this team WILL win next season.

Financial situation is not the only determinant here - Flamini's dad was Italian, the climate was closer to that for home, plus, AC MILAN is a BIGGER club than Arsenal - even more cash may not have made him stay. Lets move on and find replacements.

Gunner 1915 cool grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by dangermous: 10:52pm On May 07, 2008
Are Arsenal buying Makoun?

If they are, I fear sha. He is certainly an upgrade to Flamini in my opinion, if his exploits in C-League past
are anything to go by.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by vicade(m): 10:59pm On May 07, 2008
I dont get some of this articles and authors.

Let us focus. Viera left and bergkamp resigned, then the whole press was like that is the end of arsenal, van persie came up and cesc fabregas came up, who expected that when henry left, pundits at the beginning of the season said ASRENAL ARE GOING TO BE FIFTH BEHIND SPURS. who in the world would have thought Adebayor of all people would score 30 goals? Last season Gilberto was key to the arsenal midfield. who in their wildest dreams would have thought that flamini of last season will displace gilberto this season. all this guys writing articles are just poor idealists.

IF HENRY,PIRESS,BERGKAMP AND VIERA CAN LEAVE ARSENAL AND WE CAN STILL BE A TOP FOUR team , WHO THE HELL IS FLAMINI OR HLEB? AS it is, only CESC FABREGAS is untouchable.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 11:41pm On May 07, 2008
nice post Vicade wink

now getting back to reality and moving forward, AW might consider looking at Micah Richards as the CB to sort things out - he's an Arsenal fan, and while the rubbish with Shinawatra and Sven is going on, we might be able to ink a deal swiftly before the hawks (MU and Chelski) can think of pouncing.

My main issue with him is that he's a bit short at 5'11'' not exactly the towering giant we need, and thus may not fit our needs undecided

Creative player? My vote goes to Ben Arfa - fast and skillful, scores goals too - add Makoun to that mix and we'd have a very interesting starting point next season.

Sillyseason is about to begin. . .strap yourselves in guys., it will be one hell of a ride. wink
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by 4Him1(m): 11:43pm On May 07, 2008
Micah Richards our new center back? Na wa o.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by dangermous: 11:44pm On May 07, 2008
All this ones wey una dey try gee urselves up.

Arsenal have yama yama players and need some proper match winners.

Just look Chelsea for there. No expenses spared.  cool
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by vicade(m): 11:52pm On May 07, 2008
are spurs going for samuel eto.
i Hope not.
i pray wenger does not let any player leave again even the low calibre players like senderros and eboue should stay.

I still dont know why ricardo quaresma is not in a big club. ever since he left barca for porto, nobody wants to take a chance on him.

Carlos vela is also coming back.

I prefer benzema to ben harfa but Arsenal will not be able to afford him

Niko krancjar of portsmouth is also a good player that can move the ball
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 11:58pm On May 07, 2008
Eto'o to spurs? grin grin I'd die first.

I disagree about keeping low calibre players - Djorou and or Senderos need to go, with a quality third CB coming in, that is NOT NEGOTIABLE

Eboue can stay only on one condition - as permanent back-up for Sagna - if he is to be a winger, sell him NOW.

Vela makes the need for a winger less necessary, but I don't know if he or Walcott will be played centrally next season, it all depends.

AW will not buy a Benzema right now, a Huntelaar maybe, but not Benzema - he really isn't AW's type of striker (but then neither was Ade undecided)

Kranjar would be an excellent buy on two fronts - Premiership experience and not in demand too much, he'd probably fit right in unlike any of the other likely buys.

Mr mouse just carry your nonsense away - this is Gunner land, no need for chelski muppets like yourself
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 8:02am On May 08, 2008
debosky:

Sillyseason is about to begin. . .strap yourselves in guys., it will be one hell of a ride. wink

And AW is yet to do something definite per buying a CB,additional midfielder and striker

I shudder @ the thought of his not buying players in ANY/ALL of the above departments
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 8:13am On May 08, 2008
dangermous:

Are Arsenal buying Makoun?

If they are, I fear sha. He is certainly an upgrade to Flamini in my opinion, if his exploits in C-League past
are anything to go by.

Good observation.
But why you dey fear

vicade:

are spurs going for samuel eto.
i Hope not.
i pray wenger does not let any player leave again even the low calibre players like senderros and eboue should stay shocked shocked shocked shocked.

I still don't know why ricardo quaresma is not in a big club. ever since he left barca for porto, nobody wants to take a chance on him.

Carlos vela is also coming back.

I prefer benzema to ben harfa but Arsenal will not be able to afford him

Niko krancjar of portsmouth is also a good player that can move the ball

I disagree COMPLETELY with you on Eboue and Senderos,they should be "dashed"(given out for free) to any interested clubs,especially Eboue

Niko is an Arsenal player in another jersey IMO
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by vicade(m): 2:37pm On May 08, 2008
Kanu is one of the 75 players nominated for the Greatest fifty arsenal players ever. Good one for papilo. it is on the arsenal website:
www.arsenal.com
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 8:07pm On May 08, 2008
nice one indeed - I will forever love him for that hat-trick at stamford bridge grin grin

Back to AW and his comments, he has said clearly that he wants evolution, not revolution in his squad - a side that has improved markedly from 68 points and a second round CL exit to 83 points and a questionable Q-final exit - that is not a side that needs to be completely overhauled. Doubtless we need to strengthen, but you only need to look at Spurs down the road to show you that mass spending may not get you anything (their milk cup success not withstanding)

"When there is a problem in England, people say 'you have to buy'. But you have to consider as well the development of your players internally."

"If we lose, people leave the game and say 'Wenger you must buy a centre forward' if we haven't scored, or they want a central defender if someone has made a mistake. But you have to accept that the team can be developed."

"I believe much more in that, working in an intelligent way to make a player improve."

There you have it - AW will not shift from his core ideals of improving what he's got and building a team not simply purchasing one.

"I will try to buy, maybe in the defensive area and one on the creative side of the game a[b]s well because we had some players, important players, who were out this year[/b]," said Wenger. "We want as well to bring new talent in on the creative side of our game.

Note the plural 'important players out' - this makes me think he is looking to bring in a winger, at least to strengthen the wings, and maybe, just maybe, a striker - because to me the important players he is talking about are Rosicky and RVP and those are areas we need to improve on. He also mentions 'creative side' twice - further indicating he is thinking of probably two midfielders or MF+ST.

This is the first time in the last 3/4 years that we've gotten a definitive sense of what AW wants to do in the summer - I think it will be a pretty exciting period for Arsenal, and crucial too. Lets hope we get the players we want as quickly as possible.

For me the CB is the most crucial - we outscored everyone save MU, and our GD is better than Chelsea's - we just conceded too many soft goals.

I wouldn't get too excited with the Makoun story just yet, lets see if any reliable sources (not the blood-sucking agent) carries the news. Speculations will go on and on from now till August 31st. . .I just hope we aren't disappointed.

I think we need to do a season review after the last games this weekend and see who has really performed and who hasn't - I'm sure most of us know this already, but it would be good to see how many astute people we have here - not wolf criers and doomsday cry babies. tongue cool

Gunner 1915 cool grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by vicade(m): 9:16pm On May 08, 2008
if he needs attacking player especially on the wings, then RICARDO QUARESMA IS OKAY.

Niko krancjar is a full option player
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 10:08pm On May 08, 2008
Quaresma why? because he has a big name? I'd go for Ben Arfa instead - his deal is not yet extended and we could offer him something special - plus we have a sizable French contingent at the club.

Krancjar would be good if we got him at a good price - young and energetic, might be our kind of player - and we could get him by trading someone else like say Djourou or Senderos.

I don't know who AW is looking at really, the only 'reasonable' target I've heard of is Albiol - Valencia CB; He's young at 22, has played in the CL and is TALL 6'2'' - since his club is in free fall at the moment, we could get him at a bargain.

Who else? Of course the touted Makoun would be interesting, and with Vela coming back, three such additions would make me satisfied - Krancjar/Arfa, Albiol and Makoun. If we got 74 goals last time around with all the injuries, we can get as many and more if the midfielders chip in better, even if we don't buy any forwards.

Gunner 1915 cool grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by McOmo(m): 10:38pm On May 08, 2008
is it the same Kranjcar that almost did not make the last World cup cos his countrymen felt his pops smuggled him in by virtue of being the coach . . .wow ! grin

less drama jare . . .Quaresma this quaresma that undecided
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by ritchboy(m): 10:47pm On May 08, 2008
well assuming no one else leaves, all we need is a QUALITY winger(someone capable of playing on either flank would be ideal), a QUALITY holding midfielder, and a QUALITY striker.another cb might seem a good idea now but since neither toure nor gallas would be leaving, he(whoever 'he' is) might just end up destabilizing the squad. but then again a QUALITY cb in the mould of vidic or terry could well solve our defensive problems.rio/vidic and terry/carvalho are the best central defensive pairings in the league because they complement each other(ones a hardman who is dominant in the air and the other is pacey and comfortable with the ball at his feet), with toure and gallas, its like having two left feet!
QUALITY winger- well if we're to believe the reports arsenal are currently the favourites to sign ben-arfa(that is if he decides to leave france).he would be perfect.
QUALITY holding midfielder- makoun, arsenal are also favourites to sign him.he should fit in nicely.
QUALITY striker- david villa has stated publicly he would fancy a move to arsenal.but with many other top clubs in the mix, he'd prolly cost a lot, and i don't see wenger breaking the benk for him.and with rvp likely to be out injured for large parts of next season,bendtner not being good enough to start,and eduardo still some way off full fitness, we'll need a striker to partner ade.who? i don't really know.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Imani(f): 10:57pm On May 08, 2008
@Akolawole,

Shocked you have joined the Arsenal "bashers" angry. [s]To think i contemplated tipping Chelsea to win something this season[/s]
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Cougar: 2:30am On May 09, 2008
is this true? alexander hleb is buying out the final 2 years of his contract for 3 million??
as much as i cannot stand arsenal, hleb is one player i admire.
is arsenal crumbling as a club?

(1) (2) (3) ... (549) (550) (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) ... (776)

Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ15ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.