Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,646 members, 7,861,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 04:48 AM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (559) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (517545 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (556) (557) (558) (559) (560) (561) (562) ... (776) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 6:38pm On May 13, 2008
Are you being serious Hucarson??

The largest contributors to your success this term have been - a rock solid defence (NO addition last term) and the phenomenal form of Ronaldo. Nani did little if anything to the quest, and Hargreaves was a bit player at best, injured for long spells, while Anderson made a reasonable impact.

Of all the summer buys, I would say Tevez made the biggest impact, but still that cannot be given as the reason for the success.

chelsea bought sidwell, pizzarro, belletti, malouda and co - how much did they contribute to the title charge? wasn't it the old hands including Ballack who shouldered most of it?

Season before - MU bought ONE player and won the league - was it buying that got it for you then?

Let it be clear - we are also buying, but anyone thinking buying will guarantee or by itself ensure victory is living in la la land, and is looking for another excuse.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Imani(f): 6:38pm On May 13, 2008
hucarson:

@ Debosky,

While signing players is no guarantee to success, NOT SIGNING players gives a club no chance at all. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Man United were the biggest spenders last summer and did it worth their while? A resounding YES!!!!!  Lets imagine Man United without their summer addition!!!!
Ferguson would have crashed out of Europe(No Vidic and Rooney), United would have finished 4th or 5th in the Premiership. You don't win lottery without a raffle ticket. Arsenal should start spending! They must match their rivals if they want to compete realistically next season.

I completely agree with you. While some may argue that we already have a peculiar wage structure, i still believe we need to spend money for the best players. No point in having a nice studium with no trophy to show. sad

I think Debo mentioned something about evolution not revolution as Wenger's strategy. I think it should be the other way round. If we don't keep up with the competition, we will get left behind. God forbid Totenham draw closer to us in coming seasons.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by hustler(m): 6:45pm On May 13, 2008
debosky:

Thank you for seeing through those lies given by Flamini - playing in the UEFA cup as well as struggling and likely failing to win the league again is what will happen to him at Milan, he might as well shut up and collect his money quietly.

Bad belle fans, Leave the guy alone and let him be. Cuz u couldn't pay him a mere 70k pounds when u have enuff money Stingy club. Uefa cup or Intertoto cup Truth is Milan is a far more attractive club than Arsenal. With a far more accomplished trophy cabinet and we are not talking bout trophies like EMirates cup or Amsterdam cup.

Let the guy be abeg he has made his decision, bad belle fans like u shld be blaming ur mgt not the player.

FYI     Milan will play in the UCL by gaining qualification on SUnday, Mark my words
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 6:49pm On May 13, 2008
so he went to milan to admire their full trophy cabinet eh? grin

please tell me what they are winning this season? second round CL and 4th place in the Calcio? grin

There is no 'bad belle' I'd prefer a player tell the truth than try to sound 'above it' - he left for money, let him say so like Cashley did. tongue Blaming him? no way, but don't try to hoodwink us when we know the truth wink
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by hucarson(m): 6:49pm On May 13, 2008
debosky:

Are you being serious Hucarson??

The largest contributors to your success this term have been - a rock solid defence (NO addition last term) and the phenomenal form of Ronaldo. Nani did little if anything to the quest, and Hargreaves was a bit player at best, injured for long spells, while Anderson made a reasonable impact.

Of all the summer buys, I would say Tevez made the biggest impact, but still that cannot be given as the reason for the success.

I beg to differ, mate. While a rock solid defence helped United's cause, some squad players also did their bit. Owen Hargreaves playing as a right back when Vidic was out!!! Tevez helping out when Rooney was out THRICE this season!!!! Nani also filled in for ageing Ryan Giggs and so on and forth.
Arsenal will not win anything if they don't buy at least 5-7 players this summer. No one is asking them to but 40 million pound players. They should just stock up and get decent players who can help Cesc when legs r heavy.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by 4Play(m): 6:51pm On May 13, 2008
hustler:

FYI Milan will play in the UCL by gaining qualification on SUnday, Mark my words

The only reason I would prefer Milan over the Viola is that I am a big fan of Italian football and I want the Italians to do well in next season's UCL .

Other than that,it will be hard on Fiorentina to miss out.Prandelli has done a fantastic job despite his wife's death.Maybe missing out my force Milan to engage in a long overdue wholesale overhaul of their squad. Finishing 4th last season did Bayern a lot of good.

Flamini is only 24,thus,even if he misses out on next season.He still has many years ahead.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by hustler(m): 7:16pm On May 13, 2008
debosky:

so he went to milan to admire their full trophy cabinet eh? grin

please tell me what they are winning this season? second round CL and 4th place in the Calcio? grin

There is no 'bad belle' I'd prefer a player tell the truth than try to sound 'above it' - he left for money, let him say so like Cashley did. tongue Blaming him? no way, but don't try to hoodwink us when we know the truth wink

Every player would die to play for a BIG and ACCOMPLISHED European club, FLamini is no different. He knows he will achieve at Milan no mattr what as Milan cannot go trophyless for 3 years,

We are winning nothing this season but we have WON the European super cup and Club World cup which i doubt have a spot in ASSANAL's cabinet. Flamini left for his future. WHen a player has performed very well he needs to be rewarded \adequately not a mere 50k pounds a week will do the trick.

4 Play:

The only reason I would prefer Milan over the Viola is that I am a big fan of Italian football and I want the Italians to do well in next season's UCL .

Other than that,it will be hard on Fiorentina to miss out.Prandelli has done a fantastic job despite his wife's death.Maybe missing out my force Milan to engage in a long overdue wholesale overhaul of their squad. Finishing 4th last season did Bayern a lot of good.

Flamini is only 24,thus,even if he misses out on next season.He still has many years ahead.

U r damn right cuz if d Viola qualify i doubt they have the depth and financial capacity for a quality squad to compete on all fronts. They will get burnt just like Lazio did. Kudos to Prandelli as he is a top coach anyday.

The Viola are weak away moreso without Mutu and will fall at Torino on Sunday while Milan will steamroll Udinese,
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by A40(m): 7:45pm On May 13, 2008
I have this funny feeling that Arsene will definitely buy players this time.Ben Arfa would be a good buy any money made of the sale of Hleb would do we shouldnt foot-drag on this and he should also remember the Abrahamovich's Transfer Law (If you are going to buy a player make sure i dont know about it)Bosingwa is a very good example of that law
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by dayokanu(m): 7:57pm On May 13, 2008
What wrong with Flamini playing UEFA cup? Is he bigger than those who have played UEFA cup before? Lucatoni, Ribery, Zidane, Ronaldo Lima, Ronaldinho have all played at some time and he is not in the shadows of those mentioned.

I also want Milan to qualify cos they are one team that can be relied on to take out some EPL teams, Bayern would also voluteer to take some out (especially Man Utd)

Though also Milan also poses a BIg threat to bayern. In our last 5 UCL campaign , Milan eliminated us 3 times. !!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 8:00pm On May 13, 2008
[quote author]

[and eboue is SHIT as a winger(still an exceptional rb IMO)

No man,Eboue is SHIT through and through
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 8:04pm On May 13, 2008
IMO
The two players that AW wants to buy are not adequate.
We need a minimum addition of a CB,midfielder and striker to have a semblance of strength in depth for next season
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 8:06pm On May 13, 2008
Meanwhile,our neighbours a very busy still

Tottenham keen on former Chelsea and Arsenal midfielder

"Not content with snapping up the exciting Luka Modric for £16.5million, Tottenham are looking to bolster their midfield further by adding the Premier League journeyman Lassana Diarra to their ranks. The midfielder has already been on the books at Chelsea and Arsenal, before joining Portsmouth during the January transfer window. Many have suggested that if the player had stayed at the Emirates, they may have put up more of a title challenge".
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 10:27pm On May 13, 2008
rasputinn if you believe the tabloids, Tottenham will sign 20 players, Chelsea 30 and Man Utd 50 by the end of August grin grin

We need 5 players for a 'semblance of depth' ? shocked

so the team that ended up 4 points behind the leaders had no semblance of depth eh? and now we need so many more people to make a difference? Y'all need to stop tripping - if you get 3 players, be grateful. Wenger buy 5 players in the same season? I'll wear your granny's undies on my head for a week! grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by McOmo(m): 11:08pm On May 13, 2008
atimes these guys talk as if it is not the same Wenger that we had always known . . . . shocked embarassed

@Debosky

o gbadun rara . . . have u joined Loyika in the specsavers' queue na wa for una cheesy

where exactly have I said Ade deserves 80k . . .I MAINTAIN . . .HE HAS PROVEN HIS WORTH, IF HE GETS ANY MORE, EVEN IF PLUS 15K . . HE DESERVES IT !!! cool

I wonder why peeps keep comparing Rooney with Adebayor even when he has shown himself more prolific and even more productive than Rooney . . .he misses sitters . . .who doesnt Berba or Torres

atimes u guys just castigate blindly . . . . undecided

am I of those here prior to this season was very harsh on him . . . .I only started believing so much in him early dis season and he has repaid my faith in him . . .so y'all go on and castigate him and MAKE SURE HE DOESNT HAVE SOMEONE TO PAIR HIM UPFRONT WITH grin grin

Wenger go just dey shit for body grin grin

P.S this is not for any non-gunner to capitalize on . . .we are just catching fun amongst ourselves cool
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 11:22pm On May 13, 2008
Ol Boy all the garri you soaked in the barren days before Fash has destroyed your eyes - E be like say you miss out on dem free 'jigi Bola' days grin grin

Weren't you the one doing some crazy calculations a few pages back about How much Ade deserves? As far as I'm concerned, in order to make him improve, AW should deduct 1000 pounds from every paycheck for each offside decision against him - that would be 66k this season alone shocked grin grin

The boy is too playful - instead of learning to stay onside, after every game he goes to dance makossa and galala with Eboue in the parking lot - na wetin we dey pay am for be dat? tongue

Rooney get football brain, Ade is just learning small small, even that small boy Bendtner get sense pass am! tongue Offside 66 times in 35 games?? that is almost 2 offsides per game - the guy is just too dull!

The only striker worthy of that kind of pay so far is Dudu - quote me any day! I pray he gets back to full form, because he will be the deadliest striker in our team.

Wenger has changed this season - I can assure you that the pain of losing the title has gotten to him - he will do everything necessary (in his own mind - not dancing to nightrider's tune grin grin) to make sure we WIN next season.

To all the rumor mongers - Hleb's agent has said he won't buy out his contract, that he is a 'gentleman' - so that means two things - He will not leave or will only leave when AW gets a good deal out of it, similar to the case with Cashley, meaning we will have sufficient cash to replace him. This makes me more at ease.

The reports say the guy no dey feel London life - we might have a Reyes crybaby the second on our hands.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by McOmo(m): 11:32pm On May 13, 2008
d'oh

Rooney has more football brains than Adebayor shocked

guy, Razorr and lately Cristalz have been feeding u with too much milk from NAFDAC-unapproved chesticles embarassed

what is the essence of the brains when u dont score goals with 'em undecided

Rooney should be ashamed at Ronaldo outscoring him grin

what do u think we would have been saying about Ade if Fab4 had outscored him tongue . . . .hell would have been let loose on how we need to loan him to sootin' stars !!! do u still wonder why Fergie planned to hijack him last season undecided

how on earth can u be comparing dudu with Ade ? in what manner ? how ? where ? IN UR NIGHTMARES ? tongue

u also complain about his playfulness . . .have u forgotten how playful Henry was ? and how he used to be his BROTHER'S KEEPER tongue lol . . .

abeg . . . Ade is just trying to take after Henry jare . . .leave him be ! tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 11:38pm On May 13, 2008
Which playfulness from Henry??

Was it not the stupid makossa dancing with Ade that got Henry injured last season? angry tongue That boy just ruined Henry's last season with those stupid dances. At least Henry was always serious on the pitch, never going offside like a MOFO tongue

Rooney still scored good goals jare, and he was not playing as lone striker upfront for most games. tongue check out Rooney's assists and compare them to Ade's, very few! I still remember that stupid moment at B'ham, instead to pass to Nicklas, he was doing strong head and messed up the chance.

If Fab4 outscored Ade, I won't be surprised - Fab4 is millions of miles ahead of Ade anyways. cool

How can't I compare Dudu with Ade? Aren't they both strikers? I pray Dudu comes back soon next season and shows y'all he is the KING. Ade will be cut down to his correct size then. cool

Don't get me wrong, Ade is my boy, but he is FAR FAR from being the finished article - get a first touch and football sense to stay onside, then we'll talk. tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by McOmo(m): 12:02am On May 14, 2008
haaaaaaaaaaaa . . . . . shocked

Debo . . .u dey f@ck up embarassed

Dudu compared with Adebayor ? shocked

are u on some cheap spliffs . . . . undecided

Adebayor really got on people's nerves . . but do u remember the many disses dudu got here before he began to peak in form before the Taylor tackle undecided

Ade has shown what stuff he is made of . . yes we can talk about that ! not some EDUARDO that the jury is still out on. . . LET HIM IMPROVE ON HIS PACE, DRIBBLE-ABILITY, STAMINA ET AL before u can pick up an agent tag for him tongue grin

and bros . . .hope u remember that FAB4 faded out at a time this season undecided
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by folahann(m): 12:05am On May 14, 2008
Ade has proved his his worth but he has a long long way to go, he's definitely the best striker this concluded season; scoring in nine consecutive matches, he may not be consistent enough but he has tried his best and Ade needs to get serious. Rooney will continue to be hyped day by day but that will not take him near Adebayor
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 12:09am On May 14, 2008
Dudu's performance was not the problem, AW was still misbehaving at that point, playing Dudu - a cold blooded poacher as a left winger. That was why he was not performing. angry

Once he started playing him in a striking role, goals started to come - quality goals too cool

Ade sef lost form this season, who didn't? Except maybe Sagna and Clichy, all our players lost form at some point on the other, so that is no news.

The jury is not out on Eduardo - he scored 12 in his debut season - Ade scored 3 so compare and contrast. tongue

Pace is not Dudu's forte, but dribbling? Ade dribbles himself first before anyone else tongue

Ol boy leave this matter, Ade is good, but not good enough for 80K - even DD no dey collect that much!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by folahann(m): 12:17am On May 14, 2008
As we all know; Eduardo is a natural finisher, he doesn't make a fool of himself in front of goal and he's perfect as a strike partner. Dudu is a more serious player than Ade confirmed! hopes he comes back soon. I don't believe he scored up to 12 goals this season with that limited no of matches started and played.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 7:16am On May 14, 2008
@ Debosky

I never said we needed 5 more players,not that it'd be a bad idea to offload eboue,senderos & co then get quality better replacements.
But realistically,you and I know that it's easier for the Nigeria police to stop taking bribes @ check points than for AW to sign that much number of players in a single season.

I only said 3 (THREE)

Don't kid yourself Debsky,don't you think we would have fared better if Ade had a strike partner to complement his efforts (with the season-long injury of RVP and Dudu of late),or if we had bolstered our defence before the ACN (gosh,the backline couln't even defend any of our leads WHEN IT MATTERED MOST)

Bottom line is Arsenal is too big a club for anyone to jubilate that we finished 4 points behind the league winners (NOT AFTER WE HAD STAYED 3 SEASON TROPHYLESS)
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by topeorekoy(m): 8:30am On May 14, 2008
SEE what i just saw on goal.com. isnt this just a flimsy excuse? so milan is not noisier that london? if he wants to go he shld just go and stop giving useless excuses

[b]Hleb, 27, has been linked with a move to Italian giants Internazionale since late February, with Barcelona and even Real Madrid also being named as potential suitors.

However, it is Inter who are said to be leading the way, with the player even thought to have held an illegal meeting with some of the club's representatives when his side were in Italy facing Inter's city rivals Milan in the Champions League.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has revealed he knows what went on during that meeting and is threatening to report the Nerazzurri to FIFA for illegally approaching his player.

More recently, Wenger has insisted that rumours the Belarus international will be buying out his contract (as per the Webster ruling) are false, and that as long as he is under contract he will remain at the club, as they are unwilling to sell.

This merely seems like it will ultimately be an exercise in futility, as the player's agent has voiced his client's desire to leave the club and now Hleb himself is chiming in, albeit with his excuse being somewhat flimsy.

“I’m not a big city man, I need my retreat, that’s why I’m often in Germany," he explained, according to The Sun.

“Stuttgart [where he played prior to Arsenal] is my second home, my friends are there and it is where I feel most comfortable.”

Agent Nikolai Shpilevski added: “Alex is tired of the noisy and chaotic life in London and feels like living in calmer surroundings.”

http://goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=695045[/b]
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by doncaster(m): 9:05am On May 14, 2008
Is Hleb really 27? That's quite funny because people talk about young gunners but truthfully Liverpool and Man United probably have just as many, if not more, youngsters. Hleb's 27, Rosicky's 27. Gallas is what, 30? Toure is 27. Gilberto is 31. Almunia is 30 too.Lahmann is 38, Even the young Eduardo almost 26. The shit fans that will never see reality will attack me now. Who cares.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by HNIC(m): 9:57am On May 14, 2008
The truth is that if Hleb wants to go, he should go. lipsrsealed
I am not sure AW would stand in his way.
He's not demanding a wage increase anyway,so the serial analysts with warped logic would not have much to say.
He says London is noisy and chaotic, well, we all know Milan will be a quiet and paeceful city grin grin
Well,au revoir Mr.Hleb, if you no longer believe in the Cause.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by HNIC(m): 10:10am On May 14, 2008
Some interesting news.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1766_3564675,00.html

We might see two brothers in the gunners first 11.
I am not too sure it has happenned before.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by folahann(m): 10:28am On May 14, 2008
YAYA has showed his interest, it's left for Wenger and Barca. Wenger had already made a bid for him the season before he went to Barca, so it's not going to be the first Arsenal attempt to snap him up.

Please can somebody kick HLEB out of Arsenal, he's so annoying with his comments
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by randa(m): 1:51pm On May 14, 2008
having a ball since saturday, installed mytv package and i get to see arsenal tv everyday, wenger was with the board and supporters and answered a lot of questions related to the departure of flamini and the situation with hleb, he specifically said he was looking to get a creative midfileder and a defensive cover and probably an attacker depending on eduardo's condition prior to the new season, he also said no players willbe leaving.
what impressed me was the way he did some analogy on alexandre song, he and walcott will play more prominent roles next season ,.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by nightrider: 2:23pm On May 14, 2008
abeg please Wengershouldn't bid for yaya toure. we dnt need another ivory coastplayer in arsenal that'll be giving favours to \drogba when Arsenal is playing \chelsea. Abeg. No ivory coast player.

Wenger should gp raid Zenith st Petersburg. They have fantastic players. We need a central midfielder that play one two's with fabregas, the way flamini played.

Abeg i tire for \ivory coast players. Go raid the french league. Or italian league please.

If he brings in yaya won't he pay him more than he refused to pay \flamini. \that would be criminal
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 2:49pm On May 14, 2008
Helb if you want to go bye bye love you grin grin

HNIC:

Some interesting news.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1766_3564675,00.html

We might see two brothers in the gunners first 11.
I am not too sure it has happenned before.

hehehehehe grin grin please let this news be true grin grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 2:57pm On May 14, 2008
randa:

he specifically said he was looking to get a creative midfileder and a defensive cover and probably an attacker  he also said no players willbe leaving.

Enough with all the press conferences AW,can you start doing some buying already  cool cool cool

[he also said no players willbe leaving]

Bad call,so we're still going to be stuck with all the excess luggage that have been surplus to requirement for quite some time now.I mean players like Eboue,Senderos,Gilberto etc  ??
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 3:06pm On May 14, 2008
Hleb should be tied down and made to play for the reserve team.Who does he think he is?I'm tired of his cat and mouse antics.Creative midfielder my foot,how many goals did he score last season,how many shots @ goal did he take?
See why I keep making a case for strength in depth?

(1) (2) (3) ... (556) (557) (558) (559) (560) (561) (562) ... (776)

Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ15ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.