Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,458 members, 7,836,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders (48792 Views)

Buhari Speaks To ARISE TV On New Cabinet, Saraki, Others / Gbajabiamila Accepts Defeat, Pledges Loyalty To Speaker Dogara / Kate Henshaw Loses PDP Primaries, Accepts Defeat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by dapolam: 6:14am On Dec 20, 2008
a)Nigerian Police force overhaul bill,Educational System overhaul bill,New Arrangement for the youths bill,Electoral reforms bill,Removal of the Immunity clause bill,Revenue Allocation bill and a few others.With a total support for the FOI bill.

b)EFCC has performed below expectation and Ribadu's case,Its a pity he has found himself in this situation.It is a lesson for all of us.Also his demotion must stay if truly his promotion did not follow due process.The issue of bargaining like what just happened in the case of former EDO state guv is very terrible.If big people can plead guilty and bargain all in the name of a section in the constitution and just lose some properties and gt jailed for few years.Where is justice?

c)The FOI bill must be passed whether we they like it or not.We need agile and militant youths to support people like Hon Abike Dabiri to push the bill and make it a reality.It is with people that can make things happen and youths that are vibrant that we can push that bill.Or else the beauty of the bill will not see the light of day.

d)Dr Olayinka Kolawole,Aare Arisekola,Hon Bode Mustapha,Former Guv of Lagos,Alhaji F. Ibikunle

e)It is still the madness we talk about.We collect more and they are better than us.God will help us.
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by dapolam: 6:27am On Dec 20, 2008
B.O.S.S.I will never be involved in election Rigging.It is either I can convince the people to vote for me enmass or I forget it.NO TO RIGGING.If I am rigged in,I will never perform cos any house built on a bad foundation will perish.Anything built on deceit will fail, God bless
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by dapolam: 6:38am On Dec 20, 2008
N-guage,I will learn, Thank u.

I will have to balance the two.

I cannot ignore the people here cos they havent bn in Nigeria for a while.This is the mistake our past leaders have made and we have learnt from it.

The people here are brilliant,educated and have ideas.We can work together and deliver to the common people and all can be happy again.But If I ignore them,Where do I learn from?The common Man?

If it is criticism today,I know nothing last forever.They should pour out their minds cos they have a right to fight against whatever they think is wrong and the most important thing is to move the nation forward and out of the mess.It is not compulsory it has to be me,It could be someone else but for now it is dapolam.Who knows tomorrow and what God has in stock.

Let them scold me now, What happens after a father scolds his son?

Dont worry,they will embrace me at last cos i am still one of us here.

Thank you my brother.God bless
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by blacksta(m): 9:01am On Dec 20, 2008
dapolam:

B.O.S.S.I will never be involved in election Rigging.It is either I can convince the people to vote for me enmass or I forget it.NO TO RIGGING.If I am rigged in,I will never perform because any house built on a bad foundation will perish.Anything built on deceit will fail, God bless

The talk of a righteous man yet to be corrupted. How many times have we heard the above. I will  do this , this , this and that. I am so guaranteed you will rig your way through.  Nigeria is doomed with this set of people.  Papa Chop and Son wan Chop Mentality
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by mustafar1: 3:13am On Dec 21, 2008
Dapo, wat are your thoughts about the happenings in the nigerdelta? if you were asked for your advice on what could be done. wat would they be?
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by dapolam: 6:54am On Dec 21, 2008
must_a_far,I am rushing out of town now.Wld be back in few days time.Wld send my opinion on that.I hope you will bear with me?

My friends here,I am using this medium to intimate you all that I d be out of town for a few days and might not be able to reply until I come back.I am not used to using Pc's outside for security reasons.I d be back soon.Pls bear with me.Merry Xmas in Advance.
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by olanajim(m): 8:02am On Dec 21, 2008
Dayokanu,
there is no link between ibb and dapo. Get it right pls. I will go with cre8tivity on that.

As for me voting ibb, seriously no. I didn't even vote at all during the last election because I don't have a candidate. Ok?

On dapo, like cre8tivity have said, you don't judge people by what the do in their youths or their pasts. Judge them by what they think of their youths or their pasts. And what they do about it. You have the best opportunity to know the real dapo. If only you just use the medium to drill him.

Everyone had been hearing of Nobel prize for peace, have we forgotten how it came about or who Nobel was?

A man woke up one day and find that his obituary was in paper! He paused to read what people were saying after his "death". He sat in his room and started reading how people are cursing him for inventing man deadliest invention. There and then, he change his life mission and then spent the rest of his life, working for world peace. He died a hero ! Not only that he was immotalized on account of his later works and not the gun.

Were he to be a Nigerian, he would never have got a chance to serve humanity again.
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by Kobojunkie: 8:05am On Dec 21, 2008
Oh please!!!! I thought the Hippies went with the 60's!!
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by olanajim(m): 8:19am On Dec 21, 2008
Kobo,
you have one around. If he does not want to be criticized, I doubt if he will reply to the thread. By the way, he didn't start the thread. He saw it and then replied. He know that Nigerian youths are very critical of their leaders. He know that alot of things are wrong, but he never run away from us when he know that we are angry at our leaders.

Also, I doubt if dapo had held political office in the current dispensation. Therefore it is unfair to accuse him of the ills of the society just because his father was once a governor.

While I am not holding brief for dapo, I think what the guy is doing is more like expression of interest. He is not yet there. He want our opinions and assessments.

Yes, we must scrutinize him. But must we attack him to do that? Maccain, obama were closely srutinized, but not abused or humiliated. That is the difference between the Amerian and Nigerian electorates.
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by Kobojunkie: 8:34am On Dec 21, 2008
olanajim:

While I am not holding brief for dapo, I think what the guy is doing is more like expression of interest. He is not yet there. He want our opinions and assessments.
Yes, we must scrutinize him. But must we attack him to do that? Maccain, obama were closely srutinized, but not abused or humiliated. That is the difference between the Amerian and Nigerian electorates.

Can I ask that you not filter out the main messages in posts and actually read posts as they really are? This sort of “hippy” take on addressing issues is really upsetting. The guy tells you he is running for office in 2011, and you do not expect people to criticize him for his actions when his own father was governor? Was he over 18 at that time or not? Simple question!!

You make it seem as if these people have no right to criticize him for his actions back then and his not standing up against his father. As someone who seems to believe he is close to his roots as a Nigerian, I would expect that you are conversant with the saying “Like father, like son”. I have asked twice now what you or anyone else who thinks people have no right to ask him of his conduct when his father was governor, if you would apply the same if this had been Mohammed Abacha (Abacha’s son) in here telling you he is running for governor.

When you speak of humiliation, his father is the one that supposedly brought this on him. I don’t know much about the man’s time as governor but apparently he got a lot of people riled up. So far, it seems most of the talk is about money his dad supposedly took and where it went. Are the people no longer allowed to ask where the money went? I really don’t get this SENTIMENTS-OVER-REASON logic you are trying so hard to apply here.

If you were speaking of Americans, then we would definitely be on a different wavelength here. This is Nigeria; injustice has been and continues to be done against the people with the perpetrators walking free and boldly. Let the man answer for his own past. He has a right to and it is up to him to 1) Clear his name 2) Distance himself from his father 3) Prove that he will be a better man. Not yours to decide if the people are allowed to get angry at what was done to them by his father, and ask the son why he did not do anything then. Not yours to decide what is acceptable or not; we are still speaking of a country where criminals walk free and the masses remain as slaves in their own land. Not yours to say what level of scrutiny is acceptable; where were you when the father was busy building the future for his kids? Why did you not drop in then to warn him that any bad moves he made would most likely come back to bite his own son when he decides to run for seat in 2011?
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by olanajim(m): 8:46am On Dec 21, 2008
They have right to criticize him if need be. They have right to ask him questions and let him reply. They are very right to do that and I go with that.

What I am saying is that, he can't have possibly influenced his father's decisions while in govt. I don't know about Ibadan politics since I am not living there. So I wouldn't even been in a position to judge his father and compare him with Ladoja or Alao Akala. That is for you guys to do.

A question for you, kobo, do you expect dapo to have answer on all his father's policy when he is not even in govt at that time?

Why not take up dape on his own instead of lambasting him for his father's mistakes?

If I were you, I would pick up some of his father's unpopular policies and then ask him what he think about it. Not all children agreed with their parents.

Gbenga obasanjo didn't agreed with all his father's actions while in office. He even openly lambasted his father's friend while the later was still in power. What stop you from probing dapo? The guy even posted his worth on the forum. Can you do that?
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by Kobojunkie: 9:00am On Dec 21, 2008
olanajim:

They have right to criticize him if need be. They have right to ask him questions and let him reply. They are very right to do that and I go with that.

What I am saying is that, he can't have possibly influenced his father's decisions while in govt. I don't know about Ibadan politics since I am not living there. So I wouldn't even been in a position to judge his father and compare him with Ladoja or Alao Akala. That is for you guys to do.

Actually, he could have influenced his father’s decision while in government. Ever wonder about Hitler sometimes? Do you know that the man was married with children of his own, while he was busy butchering other people’s wives and children? Do you think his wife and children had no clue? Do you think his wife did not have anything to do with his policies? Are you sure she was absolutely innocent? My point is that there is such a thing as guilt by association. IT still exists and the onus is on him to show that he was not a part of it and did not knowingly take advantage of the situation.

olanajim:

A question for you, kobo, do you expect dapo to have answer on all his father's policy when he is not even in govt at that time?

He does not have to have on all but he has to at least give reasonable answers as to what he thought of the many he can, why he did not speak out publicly against them and what he intends to do differently.

olanajim:

Why not take up dape on his own instead of lambasting him for his father's mistakes?

Again guilt by association applies here. Was Dapo 18 and over when his father was governor? YES OR NO

olanajim:

If I were you, I would pick up some of his father's unpopular policies and then ask him what he think about it. Not all children agreed with their parents.

Definitely, but we do not all have to take the same approach in this, you know.

PS: I am still waiting for the answer to my question on this being Mohammed Abacha instead of Dapo Lam.

olanajim:

Gbenga obasanjo didn't agreed with all his father's actions while in office. He even openly lambasted his father's friend while the later was still in power. What stop you from probing dapo?

I for one am trying to probe the man even here, but you seem to make it your place to decide what is the right way to do it.

olanajim:

The guy even posted his worth on the forum. Can you do that?

1) His posting his supposed net worth means absolutely nothing to me and apparently to most on here. Do I believe what I read someone post in a forum? I hope not. I only believe it when I see documents ( real) backing up such claims.

2) Are you new here? If you go through my posts, you will find where I mention how much I earn each year. Anyone can definitely make anything up online, so I still no reason why this posting net worth deal is a big deal.
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by dayokanu(m): 9:12am On Dec 21, 2008
@ Olanajim,
I am from oyo State, I grew up in Oyo state and did most of my schooling there
My University education was in Ife which is just an hour from Ibadan. I heard a lot about DapoLam while his dad was Gov.

This guy was discussed on State TV and the presenter asked the Governor his Dad that why dont you caution your son on the extravagant way he is living and spending money!!!! For the case to be a statewide thing to be discussed on TV

Ask anyone who was in UI between that time for their opinion about the guy.

I want to ask you what you would say if Mohammed Abacha is to come out for an elective post? Distance him from his dad?

His dad was not terrible as governor but Dapo was terrible. He was in his 20's Don't tell me people cant be held answerable for their actions.

Secondly this guy never worked anywhere but goes around telling us he made his fortune from gifts his father friend gave him. Imagine!!!

It would have been less insulting to our intelligence if he had just come out to admit that he profited from untouched and inflated contracts
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by olanajim(m): 10:05am On Dec 21, 2008
Kobo,
I am not in a position to know how old dapo was when his father was a gov. But I can tell you that in yorubaland, children have little or no chance of influencing their parents decisions. I happen to have a mother who had made some public mistakes that I strongly opposed. Of course, I talked to her but she had her ways and I suffered! I have my brothers who simply kept quiet.

Looking at my own experience, I can understand why anyone can claim not to have influence over their parents or even leaders.

If he were muhamed Abacha what will I do? Let me tell you the truth from the depth of my heart. I don't know what I would have done. Yes, I will ask him questions but my personal principle is not to judge people until I know them. FYI, I have some deep sympathy for Abacha family and I am not ashame to say. That does not mean I supported what their father did. Neither am I happey at how they use their father's position to enrich themselves. And if dapo were to be Abacha son, I will still probe his personality.

I grew up with a man everyone considered to be cruel and bad tempered. He was known for being extravagance and loves women. Maybe I too should be given that tags because I am very, very close to him. Guilt by association you mean. Maybe each time seun banned anyone on nl, I should hold you responsible. Guilt by association. If any of your friends commit theft, you are a thief too. Guilt by association. My dad is a polygamous and resent western education, therefore, I am also like him. Guilt by association!
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Dec 21, 2008
olanajim:

Kobo,
I am not in a position to know how old dapo was when his father was a gov. But I can tell you that in yorubaland, children have little or no chance of influencing their parents decisions. I happen to have a mother who had made some public mistakes that I strongly opposed. Of course, I talked to her but she had her ways and I suffered! I have my brothers who simply kept quiet.

Well, I don’t think you can necessarily influence all in the same way but at least make your stance known somehow. If your mother were a dictator, would you go about bullying people and then expected not to be judged in the same light? Come on, you know what I mean here.

olanajim:

Looking at my own experience, I can understand why anyone can claim not to have influence over their parents or even leaders.

This is not about just influencing them directly but about you showing that you stand away from all that. That is why we each have our own heads and brains. He had a chance to stand out. While his father was in office, he could have been a better person himself. I don't know much of his conduct but there are ways to show one thinks differently.

olanajim:

If he were muhamed Abacha what will I do? Let me tell you the truth from the depth of my heart. I don't know what I would have done. Yes, I will ask him questions but my personal principle is not to judge people until I know them. FYI, I have some deep sympathy for Abacha family and I am not ashame to say. That does not mean I supported what their father did. Neither am I happey at how they use their father's position to enrich themselves. And if dapo were to be Abacha son, I will still probe his personality.

Well, if you read the many posts on here. Many of these people seem to be going at him with personal information on his past. -- from the guy that says he was owed money to the one’s that voted for his father and then realized that he came with a sidekick who, according to them terrorized the town because of his father’s new found power. Read there posts and you will understand that many are trying to ensure he reveals the truth of all that happened back then. If he was over 18 at that time, then I see no reason why he should not be held responsible for his conduct back then. So in essence, they are probing his person from their own angle.

See, as a Nigerian, I have come to learn that with our people I should expect to be judged by people who do not know me. From when I was growing up back then on the streets till this point when I go back home. I hear people tell me stories of my life that make absolutely no sense considering my reality. This is the fact in Nigeria. Expect it. The rules do not seem to change for people running for office, in fact the politicians have used it to their good so many times.

olanajim:

I grew up with a man everyone considered to be cruel and bad tempered. He was known for being extravagance and loves women. Maybe I too should be given that tags because I am very, very close to him. Guilt by association you mean. Maybe each time seun banned anyone on nl, I should hold you responsible. Guilt by association. If any of your friends commit theft, you are a thief too. Guilt by association. My dad is a polygamous and resent western education, therefore, I am also like him. Guilt by association!

Well, if you chose to run for office as a non-cruel and mellow candidate, do not be surprised if your past comes to hunt you. Well, if your dad is all you say he was, then the onus is on you to show that you are not like him. Do you know why we have memories ? Why we can forgive but we can never forget?

Are you new to nairaland? Roflmao!!! I ask this because there have been so many threads started up to insult me for banning one person or another or deleting one post or the other. Heck, you yourself are doing it right now, associating me with Seun when you assume that because I tried out as moderator for just FOUR DAYS. FOUR DAYS that seems to never go away for me on here. Lol

Guilt by Association simply means you are guilty until proven innocent. Unfortunately, we are humans and when we do not want to be taken for a ride by persons yet again, we decide it is up to them to prove to us that they are worthy and not cut out of the same cloth. Look around you, it happens most everywhere. The rules will not change tomorrow for you. If this boy’s father had been a good governor to his people, and he had not acted the way he did back when he was apparently in college, don’t you see the story would be different here? We would have most of those probing him today, trying to defend him.
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by BOSS7: 6:29pm On Dec 21, 2008
To be honest, there's no point stressing over Dapolam, we all know he's a thread from the same fabric and do we still need further proofs? People in Nigeria are so well connected to each other that it's so hard for people not to know someone in the public eye and that's what Dapolam is facing right now hence the difficulty in proving his innocence during his dad's tenure.

@ Kobojunkie
Do you write blogs? You have such original ideas and I think if you blog regularly, you'll make such good reads especially since you have original ideas and most of your posts are always well proof-read, Nice one man.
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by folarina(m): 6:19am On Dec 22, 2008
@ Dapolam
I spent the whole night reading through this thread and this is what i have for you.( i have broken it down into points so that you will have pleasure in reading through )

Life style during your father's tenure[color=#000099][/color]
Let me start by saying yourself and your brother were a bit on the top during your dad's tenure. You were not modest at all ,it is quite understandable because you guys were young then so i will simple blame it on youthful exuberant.

You drove around in a tinted Blue V boot & your brother in a  Honda accord ,some times with a police escort sitting next to you , one of you had a personalised plate as well .This is no hear say i have seen you but like i did say earlier it might be due to the change in your social status hence you require extra security all well and good  .
But don't play on Nairalanders intelligence by claiming you were modest,you were far away from it .
You had a girlfriend in OSU and your brother was dating an Ex-ISI girl that lived in Iyangaku Quarters or was it the other one round(it doesn't matter anyway).
My father was not a Governor but when i was at your age i did the same thing maybe even more . My excess could go unnoticed but not yours because you are the son of the governor and Ibadan is small town  maybe if you were in Lagos you could have gotten away with it .Remember the saying that "people in glass house don't throw stones"

Influence during father's tenure[/color]
I really doubt if you had any influence on your dad during his tenure so you cant be crucified for his mistakes or policies.
I am not sure to what extent he carried you along but it would have been shocking and rather alarming if you were allowed to make any contribution about  the affairs of the state.If your dad was a CEO of a bank he wont involve you in the day-day running of the bank so same goes for the state affairs as well.

Father/Son politics[color=#000099]

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you becoming a politician or having a political ambition, after all our parents are meant to be our mentors.I can mention 10 politicians who have groomed their kids or their kids have used the father as a platform to acheive their political ambition  ie Obasanjo - Iyabo Obasanjo , Olusola Saraki- Saraki  ,  Awolowo - Oluwole Awolowo , Alani bankole - Dimeji bankole , Adedibu - Kamoru Adedibu  ,Richard Akinjide- Hon Akinjide and  the list goes on .You are surely  taking the right step in the right  direction ,you dad is a power broker nothing wrong with you taking advantage of that . It happens in the professional world as well ie Subomi  Balogun -  Ladi balogun ,  Ibru-  ,

Characheer Assassination /Political Attack [/color]
You need to be prepared for this and in all honesty you are handling it very well on nairaland. Consider yourself  lucky that you have this forum to brace yourself for those challenges.I am not sure who started this thread either it was your either or not  ,this thread has created the awareness so thank your stars for that.

Source of Money [color=#000099]

Gift from your dad's friend are welcomed by all means .There are peeks of being the Governor's son .Nobody can fault you for that even if your company still enjoys favours from his old associate there is no problem.Just make sure you are squeaky clean with the contracts you executed or the allocations you are given .

Your Exposure as a candidate for  the House of Rep
This is what gives me great concern because i doubt if you are ready for this position .Your  political experience &  exposure are certainly not enough for this positon .I read some of the bills and motions you have in mind ,these all sounds like child's play.As a Rep member you potentially stand the chance to be the speaker which is the No4 position .Are you ready to be the No4 Citizen of the country ? Take it easy. You are a better candidate for House of Assembly than House of Rep .People are groomed into these  positions  they don't just start from the top ,your political ambition will be more achievable at the state level than Federal.Some of your responses has shown that you have no clue what is happening at the fed level.They do more than collecting estacodes and constituency allowance in the house.Have you served at the state level yet ,either as a political  appiontee or an  employee ?
You have just graduated form school started your business and you want to be a member of House of Rep.Dapo drop it ! All these within the twinkle of any eye  grin grin grin

Dapo ,just to round off  you have performed very in handling some of these criticism and attacks .Can you please desist from mentioning names because you will only get more entangled . Some of these people  will not appreciate you mentioning their names in  public .As a politician you need to learn diplomacy and be discreet  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed . It will come with time ,i am still learning the ethics of it as well in a Neighbouring state . I belong to ",,   School of Politics"  All the best in your Political career .
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by olanajim(m): 7:52am On Dec 22, 2008
@kobo,
I am glad you are understanding me. At least from your last post, I can see that. But there is this insistence that a boy of 18 is old enough to take responsibility for his action. This is not the right thread to rise the issue but I can tell you from my experience in mentoring youths that it is only a scientific guesswork. It is an average assumption. It is not accurate. I have seen youth of 16 year old displayed utmost maturity as if he were 22 year old. I have also seen those at 20 with minds of 15 year old child. 18 is just an average. But then, you are free to use it. However, in my own standard, 20 is the best year to assess a child maturity. Why? Because at 18, a child had just reached the age of maturity (by the law of average) and from phychological point of view, his habit has not been permanently moulded. Meaning that anything he does at that time can still undergo reform.

At our current education level, most kids coming out of our schools (at SSS 3) are not grown up at all. You can find clue to what I mean by analysing post made by 18 year old people on nairaland. That is if they tell their real ages. On romance section, you can easily recognize immatured adults by their posts.

What I am saying is that, we can ask dapo about his youth but we must not conclude that he is still the same person that pass through that stage until we have seen what he real is. Our best bet are those living in Ibadan. They should look at what he had been doing in the last two to three years and compare with what he did as teenager. If the partern are the same, then it is easy to make final conclusion.

On my dad, well my dad actually dislike western education but he is not a dictator. Well like you rightly observed, I have made my own choice and you can see the choice I made by going through my past posts.

No, I am not new on nairaland. I didn't register when I join. Altogether, I am almost 2 years here. But I don't do politics. That is it! Maybe I am in it now!
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by olanajim(m): 7:59am On Dec 22, 2008
@folarina,
yours is a great input. Very thought provoking. I would have said some of things you mentioned. Though not all.

Over to dapo!
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by Kobojunkie: 5:45pm On Dec 22, 2008
olanajim:

@kobo,
I am glad you are understanding me. At least from your last post, I can see that. But there is this insistence that a boy of 18 is old enough to take responsibility for his action. This is not the right thread to rise the issue but I can tell you from my experience in mentoring youths that it is only a scientific guesswork. It is an average assumption. It is not accurate. I have seen youth of 16 year old displayed utmost maturity as if he were 22 year old. I have also seen those at 20 with minds of 15 year old child. 18 is just an average. But then, you are free to use it. However, in my own standard, 20 is the best year to assess a child maturity. Why? Because at 18, a child had just reached the age of maturity (by the law of average) and from phychological point of view, his habit has not been permanently moulded. Meaning that anything he does at that time can still undergo reform.

Roflmao!!! By the argument you give above on age of maturity, we might as well say that the 40-year-olds, and older, out there who act like kids are hence not mature. Come on! You and I were once kids and made decisions that we knew would at some point hunt us. Children are not idiots. Even a four year old knows of karma and right and wrong. The point I am trying to make by stressing age is that at the age of 18, most people in Nigeria have already tasted life. In fact, you put a kid of 10 from Nigeria up against a kid of the same age from the west, and you immediately find that there is a wide gap when it comes to maturity. I would even jump to say that children mature faster in poor areas than they do in western countries. If you follow Psychology, a child’s physiological pattern actually gets molded quit early in life – from the age of 5 upwards, you are looking at the most likely traits you will see for the rest of his/her life. All the rest of what you see is adjustments made to new environments; something that you will happen for the rest of the child’s life.

Displaying maturity is a choice a person has to make. It does not in any way speak of development in more cases than not. A man choosing to feel the world still owes him, even at the age of 40 knows better but CHOOSES to continue to act like a child, or even an slowpoke. Any 18 year old in a country like Nigeria is wise enough to make decisions and understand what impact they may have on his/her life. Not long ago, I was a teenager myself and I remember I quizzed a lot of my mates on why they felt it was ok to live lascivious life styles and drugs. Most all made it clear that they understood the implications of their lifestyle and possible consequences but since they somehow did not expect their tale to turn out as many of the horror stories they have had, they felt it was ok believing they had it all under control. Ask a 40 year old man doing drugs and you are likely to get the same story from him. So, I picked 18 because here in the west, 18 is the age most are considered legal. But I would expect a 15 year old Nigeria to have more street smarts than an 18 year old in the west, yet these are able to understand the importance of having a job, building and making smart decisions that will potentially open doors for them in the future. And this has nothing to do with level of education.

olanajim:

At our current education level, most kids coming out of our schools (at SSS 3) are not grown up at all. You can find clue to what I mean by analysing post made by 18 year old people on nairaland. That is if they tell their real ages. On romance section, you can easily recognize immatured adults by their posts.

Education does not really affect a person’s maturity. It aids but that is about it. It deals mostly in building a persons knowledge base, not maturity. Or are you going to tell me you have never met some educated fools in your life time? There are many PhDs out there who I would vote to have lobotomized, if pushed to the wall. Lol

olanajim:

What I am saying is that, we can ask dapo about his youth but we must not conclude that he is still the same person that pass through that stage until we have seen what he real is. Our best bet are those living in Ibadan. They should look at what he had been doing in the last two to three years and compare with what he did as teenager. If the partern are the same, then it is easy to make final conclusion.

There is a reason why we have standards in society, so that we can all fairly judge each person. If he had killed someone during those years, do you think the judge would have said “Even though he is 18, not all persons mature at the same rate and so we should let him go”? Do you think that would be fair? Come on!! There is a reason why the bar is set on 18. By 18, most are already in college, in Nigeria, living on their own and making decisions as adults. What more do you want? We should bend the rule a bit more because we are dealing with @Dapo in this case? Can we please stick to standards and not flex the rules for him. This is a sane human being wanting to run for office. He needs to understand that in politics, you have to provide answers for your conducts. What next? If someone comes up with a police record of him committing a crime when he was 18, we should overlook it?

olanajim:

On my dad, well my dad actually dislike western education but he is not a dictator. Well like you rightly observed, I have made my own choice and you can see the choice I made by going through my past posts.

No, I am not new on nairaland. I didn't register when I join. Altogether, I am almost 2 years here. But I don't do politics. That is it! Maybe I am in it now!

Well… you could have before the age of 18, chosen to go the way your dad did. Do you think it would have been easy for you to have let go of that old idea and gotten where you are today if you had? My Point is you consciously made decisions, way before the age of 18 that shaped your life today. If @Dapo made bad decisions that brought him to where he is today, why not let him answer for it?
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by Moves: 6:39pm On Dec 22, 2008
I have taken time to read thru all comments and post; of which am most surprised by the stance of Creativity based on prior liason with dapo, this is the problem we have as a people in nigeria; we an issue concern those that are closer to home we throw away all integrityout of the window, it is such a shame,
While not wanting to visit the sin of the father on the son, which i believe is unfair; the antedecedent is there but the problem is that this dapo guy has failed to show that he has accomplished anything in regards to career; acquired extensive experience that prepares him for the post he seeks election for; hence that is why people tend to look at him as a non achiever with no substance to his person; and the only identity he has is that of being a son an exgov who is deemed to have underachieved, So Mr Dapo lam Adesina. can u expanciate on ur work experience; personal achievement; other than being the son of an exgovt hat u makes u think that u r suitable to contest for the position. Also would u vote for urself (u being another person) and WHY
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by RibaduFan(m): 6:43pm On Dec 22, 2008
Dapo

The pot that would lick soup, its bottocks would absorb heat.
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by RibaduFan(m): 6:50pm On Dec 22, 2008
Dapo

The pot that would lick soup, its bottocks would absorb heat.
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by PurestBoy(m): 1:59pm On Dec 27, 2008
I know him so well, the guy was never responsible and a retard who shouldn't have business in the house of reps
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by toba1909(m): 4:19pm On Dec 30, 2008
Moves:

While not wanting to visit the sin of the father on the son, which i believe is unfair; the antedecedent is there but the problem is that this dapo guy has failed to show that he has accomplished anything in regards to career; acquired extensive experience that prepares him for the post he seeks election for;  hence that is why people tend to look at him as a non achiever with no substance to his person; and the only identity he has is that of being a son  an exgov who is deemed to have underachieved,  So Mr Dapo lam Adesina. can u expanciate on ur work experience; personal achievement; other than being the son of an exgovt hat u makes u think that u r suitable to contest for the position. Also would u vote for yourself (u being another person) and WHY

Moves,

Sure the antecedent is there!
I think Dapo has being able prove his worth to some extent,
which i think didn't go down well with a lot of members here.
Like Dapo has said in some of his replies,
no one is a saint.
If Dapo being an ex-governor son is not worth an identity,
what is an identity then?
Dapo never use his father's achievement while in office,
to campaign here.
We shouldn't throw the baby out with the water.

WISHING YOU ALL MERRY XMAS & A PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR AHEAD
MAKE A RESOLUTION!!!
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by toba1909(m): 9:42pm On Jan 06, 2009
Thank God for sparing us through the fire and brimstone of 2008.
He's indeed worthy of our praise.

2011 is around the corner, with just 2010 left.
I think we should rally round Dapo, so as to achieve his aim in the next political dispensation.
Thanks for your earlier advises, more advises are allowed & welcomed.
I believe Dapo can bring something better out,
if we all rally round him and give him our support.

WISHING YOU THE VERY BEST IN
  ╔══╦══╦══╦══╗
  ╚═╗║╔╗║╔╗║╔╗║
  ╔═╝║║║║║║║╚╝║
  ║╔═╣║║║║║╠═╗║
  ║╚═╣╚╝║╚╝╠═╝║
  ╚══╩══╩══╩══╝

¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸ ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
      ¨°º¤ø„¸ HaPpY ¸„ø¤º°¨
    ¸„ø¤º°¨ NeW yEaR``°º¤ø„¸
       ¸„ø¤º ``°º¤ø„¸ ¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø.
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by BOSS7: 11:12pm On Jan 06, 2009
toba1909:

Moves,

Sure the antecedent is there!
I think Dapo has being able prove his worth to some extent,
which i think didn't go down well with a lot of members here.
Like Dapo has said in some of his replies,
no one is a saint.
If Dapo being an ex-governor son is not worth an identity,
what is an identity then?
Dapo never use his father's achievement while in office,
to campaign here.
We shouldn't throw the baby out with the water.

Why do you let fraudulent people becloud your judgments? you seem not to have thrawled through this thread properly. People here have reasons not to support him and are not just against him. There are concrete allegations and not just based on hear-say.

Can this thread be buried pls, the fact remains Dapo just wants a piece of the National Cake as his dad hasn't probably packed enough.

Get your mind right and stop supporting an unrighteous course.
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by toba1909(m): 7:25am On Jan 07, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

Why do you let fraudulent people becloud your judgments? you seem not to have thrawled through this thread properly. People here have reasons not to support him and are not just against him. There are concrete allegations and not just based on hear-say.

Can this thread be buried please, the fact remains Dapo just wants a piece of the National Cake as his dad hasn't probably packed enough.

Get your mind right and stop supporting an unrighteous course.

Your post doesn't differ from a gaffle.
For how long have you left the shore of your mother land,
if at all you're a Nigerian?
if you go through this thread, you'll see the no of comments i've made.
Does anyone come with fact, when you're claiming they're concrete allegations?
People like you ain't worth commenting on issues they know nothing about but hear people say.

Can you beckon to Seun to close the thread,
if it seems not worth it before you.
If people has said something about someone, don't you need to verify before making conclusion?

Mind you!
We can't all sleep facing same place!!!
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by BOSS7: 9:34am On Jan 07, 2009
toba1909:

Your post doesn't differ from a gaffle.
For how long have you left the shore of your mother land,
if at all you're a Nigerian?
if you go through this thread, you'll see the no of comments i've made.
Does anyone come with fact, when you're claiming they're concrete allegations?
People like you ain't worth commenting on issues they know nothing about but hear people say.

Can you beckon to Seun to close the thread,
if it seems not worth it before you.
If people has said something about someone, don't you need to verify before making conclusion?

Mind you!
We can't all sleep facing same place!!!

What's there to verify? This is like flogging a dead horse? People made comments of fraudulent allegations and how about that of your man (DapoLam) being discussed on TV as a regular party-goer all during his dad's tenure. Now he's finished university and feeding us all the Cinderella trash of setting up an oil company (or oil-work related) through handouts from dad's friends, savings etc, whatever!!!
Aren't you that typical Nigerian then if you think I'm not (just by mere judging me on the internet even with no avatar). Yes, it's 2009, get DapoLam in all because of your greed (you probably have your bit of the share, in it for the taking. Have we not seen this before? Blind support in the name of trust rather than being tried and tested. At least Nigerians are not calling for his head as to what he had done during his dad's tenure nor are they demanding his dad pays back the stste funds he looted while in office as a means of retribution.

In your bid to support him, you have faced almost every criticism alleged towards him. Someone even said "In Ibadan then, the beef wasnt much with his dad but how dapo oppressed around the city." Why do you just want to be a cash-cow rather than let him prove himself? Or are you his mouth-piece?

Just keep up with your blind support. We know your type. I think it goes by the name "rent-a-crowd".
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by toba1909(m): 11:19pm On Jan 07, 2009
I still don't understand what you're trying to pass here.
If wishes were horse, men would ride,

If Lam Adeshina and his family have being so corrupt as they've being tagged here,
is EFCC, ICPC et al in town to launch an attack on them?
This is simple and straight!

B.O.S.S.:

Someone even said "In Ibadan then, the beef wasnt much with his dad but how dapo oppressed around the city." Why do you just want to be a cash-cow rather than let him prove himself? Or are you his mouth-piece?

Can't you just make verification of what you heard, before believing it?
This is why the black race lags behind in the world,
when you quickly accept information spread about an individual.

I have same thoughts about Dapo, not until he explained everything to me that,
i erase such thoughts out of my heart. I can post url of where i've accused him of the alleged behaviors.

B.O.S.S.:

Just keep up with your blind support. We know your type. I think it goes by the name "rent-a-crowd".

You make me laugh!
I don't think you know the kinda person i am, if you do,
you'll not sprew this here.
I'll submit tentatively!
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by BOSS7: 12:01am On Jan 08, 2009
toba1909:

I still don't understand what you're trying to pass here.
If wishes were horse, men would ride,

If Lam Adeshina and his family have being so corrupt as they've being tagged here,
is EFCC, ICPC et al in town to launch an attack on them?
This is simple and straight!
We're all aware of the sheer incompetece demonstrated by these so-called organisations so what're you on about?

toba1909:

Can't you just make verification of what you heard, before believing it?
Are you trying to assume that hundreds of Nairalanders' allegations are false?

toba1909:

This is why the black race lags behind in the world,
You're not white are you? And neither are you trying to paint my brain black - I hope!!!

toba1909:

when you quickly accept information spread about an individual.
I have same thoughts about Dapo, not until he explained everything to me that,
i erase such thoughts out of my heart. I can post url of where i've accused him of the alleged behaviors.
By the way did you also verify what DapoLam said? Why did you believe DapoLam and not the hundreds of people who have concrete evidence of how he was a couch potato while his father was in position of authority? Are you that easy to please or you just want to force your choice on me? Of course you want to support him not because you believe in his abilities but rather because of your personal affiliations with him.

toba1909:

You make me laugh!
I don't think you know the kind of person i am, if you do,
you'll not sprew this here.
I'll submit tentatively!
I hope this is just an empty threat as you obviously don't know whom I am either, keep to yourself and I'll hold mine. This is a public forum and I have my personal rights to reason objectively without crossing a line (though you firstly crossed that line and I don't think I have to hold back.

I'll repeat what most innocent Nigerians are saying all over again, DapoLam is not the change we need in Nigeria as he does not deserve it. History is judging him and definitely, history has not been unfair by allowing us to predict that DapoLam is "all mouth and trousers" just like most Nigerian politicians including his dad.
Re: Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders by toba1909(m): 7:52am On Jan 08, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

We're all aware of the sheer incompetece demonstrated by these so-called organisations so what're you on about?

I now know the kinda of person you are for making such a statement.
Ain't the AD governors then in the opposition?
But because of their uprightness, nothing can be done against them.
Do you see what your brothers are doing in the S/W now?

B.O.S.S.:

By the way did you also verify what DapoLam said? Why did you believe DapoLam and not the hundreds of people who have concrete evidence of how he was a couch potato while his father was in position of authority? Are you that easy to please or you just want to force your choice on me? Of course you want to support him not because you believe in his abilities but rather because of your personal affiliations with him.

Go verify yourself and stop believing hearsay.
I once spoke with someone about Dapo, he was like is it the boy that spend recklessly when he was Bowen University,
meanwhile the dude didn't attend Bowen University.
The point is straight, rather than accepting what others have said without verification,
why don't you be wise enough to seek and find the truth!

B.O.S.S.:

I hope this is just an empty threat as you obviously don't know whom I am either, keep to yourself and I'll hold mine. This is a public forum and I have my personal rights to reason objectively without crossing a line (though you firstly crossed that line and I don't think I have to hold back.

Lol,
Dude, are you sure you understand what i try to pass to you there?
Am trying to let you know your thought about me is wrong.
Ain't you the one that posted the comment below?

B.O.S.S.:

I don't think you know what a threat is,
moreover why the threat?
So erase that thought dude.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (37) (Reply)

Peter Obi, Datti Ahmed & LP Officials Land In Benue In An "Obidient" Aircraft / Uche Secondus Visits Babangida With PDP NWC Ahead Of 2019 Elections / ISWAP: We Killed 11 Christians On Christmas Day To Avenge Al Baghdadi's Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.