Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,658 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work (28802 Views)

The One Word That Kills Adult Friendships / Friendships With Opposite Sex In Marriage / (ladies) Why Are Most Female Friendships Short Lived? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by touchmeder: 12:35pm On Jun 29, 2014
I am lucky 2have a friend like that. It was @d university then; great great guy. You must be absolutely matured for this to work. This dude made me understand it is possible. I must confess this is d only person I've recorded success with. 99% of d time it didn't work. We've long gone on after school but we still talk though not as before.

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Waspy(m): 12:36pm On Jun 29, 2014
I'm not pessimistic, and yet i'm truthfully cynical. Cross-gender friendship IMHO is a one-in-a-million cosmic coincidence/arrangement, except one of them is just being stoic in longsuffering undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Odunharry(m): 1:03pm On Jun 29, 2014
Mynd_44
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Vikthor(m): 1:07pm On Jun 29, 2014
Ishilove: Op, I don't know what you're talking about. One of my closest friends is a guy who I've known for 15yrs now( since secondary school). He lectures in Canada now, but not once has there ever been any awkwardness between us. There is almost nothing we can't tell each other, and never once have we ever had the issues you mentioned. He's a friend and a brother, and our friendship waxes stronger.

Were both of u single when u both started d friendship?
Are both of u married now or still single?...
Just curious!!!
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Truckpusher(m): 1:17pm On Jun 29, 2014
napema: Friendship between a girl and a boy doesn´t exist because one of them will need sex. grin
Plain lie bro....

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by ihedinobi2: 1:18pm On Jun 29, 2014
Cross gender relationships hit hard times fast for one reason alone - men are not women and women are not men. The two genders are connected only by their difference of sexes.

If the girl friend returns the small favors, buying socks and CDs and whatnot, in time, romance will blossom for one or both. If it is just for one, things will get remarkably awkward.

Relationships across genders work only when they are in groups. Here the guy has his own girl and the girl has her own guy and both guys are friends and both girls are friends too and all the connections are open. Outside that, things will get awkward. Make no mistake about that.

4 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 29, 2014
Stuff and nonsense.

You described exactly the kind of "cross-gender friendship" that is to be dreaded - the kind that disguises itself as a friendship but yearns to be more, and what a terrible "friendship" at that.

The characters of your "epistle" clearly need to DTR (Define The Relationship) cool

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by opylas(m): 1:31pm On Jun 29, 2014
Richiy: You forgot to mention the fact that most guys would not consciously appreciate that girl that goes the extra mile for them. Rather, they would go around chasing girls that have no regard for them and end up screaming that girls are heartless. Let every guy check their lives, there is always that girl that is different but they become so used to her that they put her in the background.

This is totally off point. U shld go re-read d post.

@TOPIC: It gets worse wen d girl is d insensitive type.

2 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Guidette(f): 1:31pm On Jun 29, 2014
@Mynd_44
Lol, which girl broke your heart to warrant this article? I have male friends. In fact my closest friend is a guy. He knows me inside out and all my secrets as do I know all of his. I am not a selfish person. I have never asked him for money and will never use him because I genuinely care about him. He has never asked me for sex and I would not expect such a request from him. He is someone I trust whole heartedly and cannot imagine doing some of the things you listed to him. I can say I truly love him, but as a friend. My life will be incomplete without him, virtually meaningless.
That is how much of a friend he is to me. So all the hogwash you wrote up there about the opposite gender being friends should tell you that different people have different experiences. You can't simply be friends with every woman you meet, but you can have a female friend.
Selfishness does not constitute friendship and if you base a relationship on what you can get from it, it will never last.

3 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Mynd44: 1:34pm On Jun 29, 2014
^
You obviously believe that cos I wrote about it, it happened to me right? You need to learn what writing articles is about

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Richiy(f): 1:35pm On Jun 29, 2014
opylas:

This is totally off point. U shld go re-read d post.

@TOPIC: It gets worse wen d girl is d insensitive type.
You wey know.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jun 29, 2014
Mynd_44: ^
You obviously believe that cos I wrote about it, it happened to me right? You need to learn what writing articles is about

So writing articles is about writing things you have no experience in? Ok, I see how credible your post is now.

3 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by yoyonne(f): 1:39pm On Jun 29, 2014
Hi whoever that is reading this should help me am new to nairaland and I don't know where to start
I want to create topic but I don't know how and many more someone pls help me
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 29, 2014
yoyonne: Hi whoever that is reading this should help me am new to nairaland and I don't know where to start
I want to create topic but I don't know how and many more someone pls help me

No favors without sex. Didn't you read the OP?
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by opylas(m): 1:42pm On Jun 29, 2014
Ishilove: Op, I don't know what you're talking about. One of my closest friends is a guy who I've known for 15yrs now( since secondary school). He lectures in Canada now, but not once has there ever been any awkwardness between us. There is almost nothing we can't tell each other, and never once have we ever had the issues you mentioned. He's a friend and a brother, and our friendship waxes stronger.

I don't believe dis! U mean like, ever?? Snc sec??
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Mynd44: 1:42pm On Jun 29, 2014
MissMeiya:

Do you need brighter grammar?

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by obayaya(m): 1:44pm On Jun 29, 2014
Guidette: @Mynd_44
Lol, which girl broke your heart to warrant this article? I have male friends. In fact my closest friend is a guy. He knows me inside out and all my secrets as do I know all of his. I am not a selfish person. I have never asked him for money and will never use him because I genuinely care about him. He has never asked me for sex and I would not expect such a request from him. He is someone I trust whole heartedly and cannot imagine doing some of the things you listed to him. I can say I truly love him, but as a friend. My life will be incomplete without him, virtually meaningless.
That is how much of a friend he is to me. So all the hogwash you wrote up there about the opposite gender being friends should tell you that different people have different experiences. You can't simply be friends with every woman you meet, but you can have a female friend.
Selfishness does not constitute friendship and if you base a relationship on what you can get from it, it will never last.

Can you do me a favor?

Can you ask that guy if he has ever thought of getting intimate with you but shelved the idea so as not to put you, him and the friendship in a difficult situation?

His honest reply might shock you grin
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by yoyonne(f): 1:45pm On Jun 29, 2014
MissMeiya:

please help me I don't understand the site could u please help me you can start by teaching me how to reply quotes
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 29, 2014
MissMeiya:

Why are you always petty and emotion-laden with your posts? It's either comprehension isn't your forte, or you do everything based on emotional impulses. undecided

And where did the OP allude to anything like that? You don't need to have "friendship" with people to help them out. Or perhaps, you don't understand what friendship is smfdh. cool

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jun 29, 2014
shymexx:

Why are you always petty and emotion-laden with your posts? It's either comprehension isn't your forte, or you do everything based on emotional impulses. undecided

And where did the OP allude to anything like that? You don't need to have "friendship" with people to help them out. Or perhaps, you don't understand what friendship is smfdh. cool

Stop stalking me, you nasty troll.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Acidosis(m): 1:50pm On Jun 29, 2014
Guidette: @Mynd_44

Can you sleep on the same bed with him?

Have you ever slept on a single bed together?
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Guidette(f): 1:53pm On Jun 29, 2014
Acidosis:

Many times. Infact I have shared a bed with him and his girlfriend once. It was so funny because we were tired from an outing and all fell asleep in different positions on the bed. Fond memories.

2 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by chuxyz(m): 1:54pm On Jun 29, 2014
mtchew! You no get point at all! Ihn deh canada then how do you expect awkwardness from canada? Abi dem deh send awkwardness via courier ni? Abeg park well we no come here to showcase abroad friends. Go find thread like that. You hear? If na like that i have many Jamaican female friends i have met online. And we tell ourselves everything and nothing else attached. Nonsense!

2 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 29, 2014
MissMeiya:

Stop stalking me, you nasty troll.

Lmao...touche. Shooting match! grin

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by ihedinobi2: 1:54pm On Jun 29, 2014
I think it's very telling that the people who are all about how a member of the opposite sex is their best friend and they cannot do without this best friend is women. I don't know many men who think that a girl is their best friend and they aren't thinking of dating or marrying her.

Why the disconnect?

5 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by opylas(m): 1:55pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

Can you do me a favor?

Can you ask that guy if he has ever thought of getting intimate with you but shelved the idea so as not to put you, him and the friendship in a difficult situation?

Seriously! Some guys 'suffer' in silence. It's jst nt possibl 2 keep it long-I cldn't! It's y most guys will tell u they can't hv a 'close' female friend.

3 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jun 29, 2014
Acidosis:

I've done it as well. It's not that amazing to be just friends with the opposite gender.

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Acidosis(m): 1:56pm On Jun 29, 2014
Guidette:
Many times. Infact I have shared a bed with him and his girlfriend once. It was so funny because we were tired from an outing and all fell asleep in different positions on the bed. Fond memories.

Okay then, never knew he's your Cousin/Brother...

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Guidette(f): 1:58pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

Can you do me a favor?

He has a girl friend and I am still single. I think that is enough proof. Maybe I am not his type or he is not sexually attracted to me. Have you thought about that? It doesn't even matter to me because that's not what our friendship is about. We have been friends for 6 good years and I relish every moment of it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Guidette(f): 1:59pm On Jun 29, 2014
Acidosis:

Okay then, never knew he's your Cousin/Brother...

cheesy
He is like a brother to me as well. I know you meant that as an insult, you didn't achieve your goal. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by ihedinobi2: 1:59pm On Jun 29, 2014
Guidette:
He has a girl friend and I am still single. I think that is enough proof. Maybe I am not his type or he is not sexually attracted to me. Have you thought about that? It doesn't even matter to me because that's not what our friendship is about. We have been friends for 6 good years and I relish every moment of it.
So the romance is not failing because of you, it's because of him, isn't it? You would take it a notch up if he made the move, wouldn't you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lady To Spend 50% Of Her Salary On Her Boyfriend / Kano: Bleak Xmas For Contributors As Lady Sends Man Abroad With Their Money / Men, Why Do You Find It Hard To Post Your Girlfriend On Social Media?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.