Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,232 members, 7,853,201 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:29 PM

Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) - Satellite TV Technology (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) (203909 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by GeorgeD1(m): 10:34pm On Dec 28, 2008
George-D,
I will send the pix of the two dishes in a few hours.I just installed my phone driver on my lappie.the mesh still goes for 12k asthere are other bidders from Bauchi.Adewest will take it back to Bauchi in January if you don't act fast.
@toxnaija,
You no just wan gree at all o! Upon how I beg you reach abi? All because of 2k difference? Ok, if that's how you want it, no whahala. You don win. Package the stuff for me. Let's take the matter out of here. Send me mail and let's discuss on the 1.8m pan. I will be needing the two of them together.  I think you still have my email?
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Nobody: 10:35pm On Dec 28, 2008
@ my second base in Ilaro, i have a lot of French stations on my radio receiver and even sometimes GOLFE Tv do show up, but i guess this location of mine has to do with the distance, its just some few hours to REPUBLIQUE DU BENIN, but this is lagos has to do with weather, am sure they wont last long, tacking of those european birds at this time will be much easier and a lot of TPs will become green.
Just waiting till I get my own 2.4m, I will track and track and track till i get tired.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by GeorgeD1(m): 10:40pm On Dec 28, 2008
@adewest,
You dey shine o! These pictures are really exciting. Looks like I will be hunting for hotbird soon too grin
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by toxnaija: 10:52pm On Dec 28, 2008
Adewest,
I roger u.I'm out of phone credit now but I'll call you in the morning.I want to know if jsc+1/2 came out on the Orbit package 11054 horizontal.Does it mean we should forget EutelsatW2 in the south as Bauchi would need 4m to pick it well?that was predicted by enigmatic Enigma this afternoon in his piece.

George-D,
you seem to be mixing things up.twinstaiye is for starsat while i am for the dishes in Abeokuta.pls mail me thru toxnaija@gmail.com for deliberations.

Enitan,
I go fish and fish and fish till I  faint was what you meant to write.you have not told me what to do on my inability to go beyond my inbox on Hotmail.pls reply now.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Nobody: 11:48pm On Dec 28, 2008
@ all, those stations i said i got are small in number to what ola is getting at his end. am seeing just 2 in here and he's having more than 10. so d issue of harmattan no apply here at all,this is a package and am suspecting DAARSAT, it is on terrestrial and not satellite, dont confuse yourself.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by olofofo(m): 9:03am On Dec 29, 2008
@adewest

do you have any intel on that locally made 3m Pan dish in Kaduna. i am guessing that it was made by Armeco or any of the metal construction company over there. what does it cost?

am of the opinion that a 3m pan dish will do the JOB of a 4m fibre dish. what do you think?
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by badaru1(m): 9:13am On Dec 29, 2008
@All

After much wahala here and there, I was able to motorise my  2.4m on saturday. I got nile full signal,hotbird about 200 channels,eurobird(orbit package) about 20 channell 90% english. The work was so tideous since am alone. So for those with 2.4m dish(I use strong) I advice you go for motorise,but it needs maintanance once in a while.

For those who crazy about hotbird,I dont see any thing special there,if you have nile. All the channels you can get in nija cannot match nile. As for w2 16 degree east I tried all without success,but a friend in kebbi is watching them with 2.4m pan.

@ obnelly

I saw you text,congrat,i tried calling your land without success.

The 2.4 motorised system moves from thaicom to 45 degree west. The sinal is very encouraging.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by bodejohn(m): 10:20am On Dec 29, 2008
@ Badaru

Congratulations on the new dish installation.
You should have called Enitan to give you a hand afterall he will come to watch the x rated channels.

I will be sending you a mail, kindly reply.
I have some issues though fta related but i want to discuss it off the forum.
Thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Nobody: 10:21am On Dec 29, 2008
@ badaru,
hey ya, soory about that, doing all alone, i wish i could be there when the work was going on. are there other new birds gotten apart from eurobird and hotbird?

@ obnelly,
congrtas on that also, you've added a better thing than ordinary birds. more of those to be tracked again, no be so?
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 29, 2008
bodejohn,
wetin dey happen to that 35 echolink na? am about sending that across to you now, should i go on with that urgent call? tell me somethings i ought to know by now
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by salamander(m): 10:30am On Dec 29, 2008
@all

Ghana is cool. The results may be out by the evening. So far the opposition if leading.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by sayso: 10:51am On Dec 29, 2008
george abeg wetin be that ur ext number,I want talk to you ,ur line dey enter voice mail.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by GeorgeD1(m): 10:59am On Dec 29, 2008
toxnaija:

George-D,
you seem to be mixing things up.twinstaiye is for starsat while i am for the dishes in Abeokuta.please mail me through toxnaija@gmail.com for deliberations.
You are right about your observation. I have modified the post. And, check your mailbox. I sent you a mail on the issue.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by GeorgeD1(m): 11:01am On Dec 29, 2008
@sayso,
call me on 53510 or 53508. I dey work-shey you code.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Enigma(m): 11:06am On Dec 29, 2008
Someone (I believe it was my friend Gangsta) asked for a brief explanation of the differences between CAMs, cards etc. First of all, let me point out that badaru kindly posted a good explanation of these and some other things earlier in this link: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-7715.2112.html#msg2823178

Brief summary:

FTA receivers: these receivers have no inbuilt slot for a card or CAM as they are primarily intended for FTA reception only. However: (a) some of them e.g. Technisat T888, Technomate 1000 etc can be patched such that they might be able to receive some encrypted channels; (b) some of them e.g. TM 1000 can have a card reader added to them so that a card can then be used to receive PayTV.

Receivers with Card Slots: firstly, these can receive FTA channels; secondly, they can accept some cards for watching PayTV. However, some such receivers can accept cards for only one encryption system e.g. DSTV receivers that only accept Irdeto cards; some can accept cards for two encryption systems e.g. the Strong receiver models that accept both Irdeto and Conax cards; some receivers are "multicrypt" (usually after being patched) which means they can accept cards for many encryption systems.

Note: sometimes receivers that can accept cards of a particular encryption system are called 'embedded' i.e. they have an inbuilt CAM which, at least, can accept cards of a particular system or systems; thus you might hear 'Irdeto embedded' or 'Viaccess embedded' or 'Conax embedded'. Also, sometimes with patched receivers, the embedded CAM on its own (without a card) can open some PayTV stations of a particular encryption system.

Receivers with a CI slot: firstly, CI means 'Common Interface' which in turn means the receiver has a slot that can take a CAM; the best CI slot will be one that can accept a CAM that in turn will work with different encryption systems. Thus, if one has a CI receiver, one can buy a CAM and then insert a card in that CAM for a particular encryption system e.g. Irdeto Card like that for DSTV or Conax card like that for MyTV. At the moment we are talking about official card for which one pays a (monthly) subscription.

CAM: first, CAM stands for 'Conditional Access Module'; it looks like a PMCIA card; second, 'conditional access' means that access to some stations are subject to a condition, usually meaning a subscription. Thus access to DSTV stations is subject to a condition, i.e, subscription and the receiver is instructed by codes/keys to grant conditional access to the channels subscribed to.  The primary way by which the CAM works is with an official card of the provider e.g. DSTV card. So one inserts one's DSTV card into the receiver's CAM; remember that the CAM may be inbuilt into the receiver or inserted into a CI slot; or a card reader may be attached to some FTA receivers.

However: some CAMs on their own are 'programmable' such that even without cards they act as emulators (emulate a card) and grant access to PayTV without subscription. The best of this type of CAM at the moment (in Europe at any rate) is the Diablo CAM.

Official Card: This is simply the official card issued by a provider e.g. DSTV to their subscribers which enables the subscriber to have access to the subscribed channels.

Edited: MOSC = Modified Original Smartcard (Subscription Card): This refers to an official card that has been modified by programming to either (a) allow access to PayTV channels without maintaining one's subscription or (b) watching more channels than one is subscribing to e.g. some one with a basic/cheapest subscription watching extra, full subscription or premium channels. However, nowadays official cards have become more 'clever' and are not all that easy to modify anymore.

Unofficial Cards: This is the category into which cards like the Gamma, Abracadabra, MII, Kebab etc fall. They are cards produced/programmed by third parties to give unofficial access to some providers' channels without subscription. As I said before, they can be useful but are not guaranteed; e.g. while the Gamma card has been working for 2 years, someone may buy it today and find that tomorrow it is no longer opening any channels and has become an ice scraper. Personally, I don't bother with these cards.

Card sharing: We can identify two meanings: (a) one person has two or three receivers in his premises and only one subscription to DSTV; if the receivers are card sharing receivers, that person can configure them such that all the receivers can receive the channels subscribed to in different rooms, instead of buying several official cards; (b) people in different places (even different parts of the world) with card sharing receivers can connect to one server to share an official card or  official cards. Sometimes, they may just be friends who come to an arrangement --- often each person providing at least one card; e.g. one person provides MyTV card and another a DSTV card etc and they all 'share' these to receive channels from the different providers; another type is that you have card sharing operators who charge a fee to others to be allowed to join the 'sharing' network. Caution: providers strongly target card sharing, particularly of the latter type taking out the servers and trying to prosecute members of the 'sharing ring'. Again, personally I don't dabble in card sharing; if at all I will, it will most likely simply be between my own receivers exclusively.

OK: I'll stop there for now.

@twinstaiye

I got your admin message of some time ago, thanks; I just haven't had time but still think the idea of using the FAQ thread to store the kind of information above centrally should still be pursued.

@toxnaija

My good friend, you just have to forgive me, I promise to try and make time when I'm next in Lagos - hopefully, by April latest.

@ Gangsta

Thanks, my good friend (even though we are yet to meet; hopefully that will happen eventually)
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Enigma(m): 11:17am On Dec 29, 2008
@ badaru

I hope that towards the end of the new year I will link with you for a 2.4 motorised installation in Lagos; very well done, on your recent installation.

@ Adewest

Big well done, for revitalising this thread in terms of what is possible with the 'European' satellites like Hotbird, W2 etc.

cool
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by debolay: 1:31pm On Dec 29, 2008
@Twinstaiye
Oga na wa o. Longest time o. i have been traveling the globe and my yeye laptop has os problems. Its good you are utilising ur dish to the fullest now. Pls i am interested in the starsat and abra card o. i will call you later tonight. But i have to dispose off my 1.8 dish to get a 2.4m

@baba-egun

baba-egun weti i do na. you no dey hala me again. i beg no vex. i haven't been around for some time now. just got back. Pls i am waiting to hear/read or anyhow from you guys.

@all
Pls if you are in abuja and in need of a 1.8m dish, pls call me 08033800330. i am upgrading to the 2.4m dish. my price is reasonable. cheers

@adewest; top of the day to you and give up the good work. cheers
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by debolay: 1:33pm On Dec 29, 2008
@adewest: so sorry, i was going to say keep up the good work. All the best
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by GeorgeD1(m): 2:15pm On Dec 29, 2008
@Enigma,
I'm quite impressed with your dept of knowledge on cams, cards and recievers. You seem to know it all. Just two questions for you though: How can I lay my hands on the diablo cam? I have a decoder with a CI slot, so hooking it up wouldn't be much of a hassle. Also, I'm interested in the card sharing stuff. Can you throw more light on how I can go about it?
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by GeorgeD1(m): 2:18pm On Dec 29, 2008
debolay:

@adewest: so sorry, i was going to say keep up the good work. All the best
You can always log in and modify any of your posts (edit, delete pictures, insert, etc). Even that of last year smiley
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Enigma(m): 3:36pm On Dec 29, 2008
George_D:

@Enigma,
I'm quite impressed with your dept of knowledge on cams, cards and recievers. You seem to know it all. Just two questions for you though: How can I lay my hands on the diablo cam? I have a decoder with a CI slot, so hooking it up wouldn't be muct of a hassle. Also, I'm interested in the card sharing stuff. Can you throw more light on how I can go about it?

The Diablo CAM is not difficult to get; first you might talk to badaru or Adewest as I think they might be able to lace you up with one; otherwise you'd have to buy it online (google 'buy diablo cam') or ask someone coming down from Europe, North Africa etc to get one for you. Note, you willl need not only the CAM itself but also a CAS III programmer.

With regard card sharing, many people who do it keep it on the down low because of the problems I mentioned before -- so that one is not that easy. You could try googling 'funfiles forum' or 'RDI Board' as there are people who do it on those forums; or again, google 'cardsharing' or 'cardsharing network' etc.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Gangsta101(m): 4:23pm On Dec 29, 2008
Enigma,

way to go! thanks for that post, i needed something like that. initially i was thinking of buying the 'best' but i think it is better for me to find out about each and get any/all i can lay my hands on (for educational purposes of course.
but let me get a confirmation, am i right in saying that the CI SLOT is that port (within the receiver) with about 3 or 4 pins usually next to the one into which the card reader is plugged?

Twinstaiye/Olofofo,

does the starsat/echolink with abracadabra card have PVR FUNCTION?
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by obnelly: 4:29pm On Dec 29, 2008
Enitan,Badaru and olofofo thanks so much ,i really appreciated your brotherhood spirit.one love.

olofofo,i will send the money when am ready.
Badaru,i will come to your end very soon but will definitely call you b4 coming.IS there any luck on your Telstar 12 15 degree west.kindly check your dish to see if there is any milk and honey on that spot.Kindly check there are some feeds there as well.
since your are motorised you are in better position to try that bird.Do you have luck on showsport1-4 .I will like to know ASAP.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Enigma(m): 4:38pm On Dec 29, 2008
@ Gangsta

The CI slot is usually in front either under or near where the card goes (if it is a receiver with both a card reader and a CI slot); if a receiver with just a CI slot, it will be where the card would go -- after a CAM has been first inserted. See examples in links:

http://www.apnadth.com/images/set_top_box.jpg

http://www.pioneer.nl/images/eur/CISlot.gif

http://upload.cdfreaks.com/seanbyrne/CAM_Features_2.jpg
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by salamander(m): 8:03pm On Dec 29, 2008
Any station showing the ManU match?
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by adewest(m): 8:09pm On Dec 29, 2008
@ Olofofo,

The cost of the 3m locally made pan in Kaduna i was told it cost about 37K. From the maker the pan will be tested on some birds to ascertain perfect svcability before packaging it for the buyers. In my own view sha the pan signal was satisfactory.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by GeorgeD1(m): 8:45pm On Dec 29, 2008
@salamander,
Check AIT. That's where the match is going on now.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by GeorgeD1(m): 8:49pm On Dec 29, 2008
@Enigma,
Thanks for your reply. I'm already googling up stuff on diablo cam. It is a whole new vista to FTA. Looks like there's far more to this binge than shooting birds with big dishes. grin
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by adewest(m): 8:51pm On Dec 29, 2008
i was hunting for AIT MOVIESTAR on Eurobird1 and this channels fall into the trap

Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by GeorgeD1(m): 8:53pm On Dec 29, 2008
@Adewest,
Any news about 3.0m eurostar pan in bauchi?
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by adewest(m): 9:12pm On Dec 29, 2008
@ George D

i can see what this ur diablocam is pushing u into. U can only get 3m eurostar pan only by special request fm the importers but they r damn too expensive ranging between 85K.U must be ready to invest hugely if u venture into all this diablo,Magic cam and others abi u wan creat ur own rebrocasting TV channels grin grin grin
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by olofofo(m): 12:08am On Dec 30, 2008
@adewest

in your opinion, what is the possibility of that 3m pan getting showsport in lagos?

how is it packaged?

what do you think will be the transportation cost for the package from KD to lagos?

@obnelly

congrats again. what money are you talking about

@george-d

echolink 3020IR plus does not have PVR fucntions, but i believe the USB version will.

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (100)

Solutions To The Problem Of All IKS Dongle Receivers QSAT, AONE ,TLINK ETC / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / All About Nilesat Installations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.