Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (511) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347908 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 4:22pm On Oct 03, 2019
nelem:

I know despite all the preparations. You need to cheer up

I will apply like that sha.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 5:34pm On Oct 03, 2019
I have been off Nairaland for a bit. Working on my thesis etc. I gleaned through the past pages and realised most people are complaining about the recent heightened difficulties in the quants section. User4321 gave an appropriate explanation but there is something I need to add. The experimental section could very well be the first exam you could see. ETS are known to add that to their schemings. If you observe that your questions are very difficult in the first section, they could very well be the experimental section.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:44pm On Oct 03, 2019
Scholastica16:
I have been off Nairaland for a bit. Working on my thesis etc. I gleaned through the past pages and realised most people are complaining about the recent heightened difficulties in the quants section. User4321 gave an appropriate explanation but there is something I need to add. The experimental section could very well be the first exam you could see. ETS are known to add that to their schemings. If you observe that your questions are very difficult in the first section, they could very well be the experimental section.
Very glad to have you around sir. Pretty sure your thesis, has google, and Microsoft on their toes for patents grin grin.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cocao(f): 6:35pm On Oct 03, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

I just took the GRE today by God's grace.

Score was poor and i feel like crying. One girl was just vomitting anyhow in the hall. Anyways, that's not the reason i failed sha.

Q-150
V—147

I sha sent my score to Michigan Tech, Univ Missouri, Univ Texas, Dallas, Uni Texas Tyler.

I will be booking a date for a re-write later today.

I feel ashamed of myself.

Hey i sent you a pm

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 7:03pm On Oct 03, 2019
Scholastica16:

You are very welcome sir. What can i do with a 297?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 3:26am On Oct 04, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

Score was poor and i feel like crying. One girl was just vomitting anyhow in the hall. Anyways, that's not the reason i failed sha.

Q-150
V—147

I sha sent my score to Michigan Tech, Univ Missouri, Univ Texas, Dallas, Uni Texas Tyler.

You'll be fine! You don't need to feel ashamed, it's not an easy exam. My body was weak when I saw my score then.

I've heard of people who got full funding with your score but had other strong aspects in their profiles. Just weigh your options well and don't be too hasty in rewriting till you know your weak points.

I wish you the best !!

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 3:27am On Oct 04, 2019
Scholastica16:
Boss, good to see your post after a long while!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Samuelasiwaju(m): 5:18am On Oct 04, 2019
Please can someone send me IELTS materials. I want to write it, my e-mail address is samuelasiwaju@gmail.com.
Please who can recommend a good studying and registration center at Port Harcourt.
I also need a serious study partner (General Option) in Port Harcourt.
God bless you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 7:30am On Oct 04, 2019
Sherlock5577:

You'll be fine! You don't need to feel ashamed, it's not an easy exam. My body was weak when I saw my score then.

I've heard of people who got full funding with your score but had other strong aspects in their profiles. Just weigh your options well and don't be too hasty in rewriting till you know your weak points.

I wish you the best !!

Did you re-take your GRE?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by victorsol(m): 10:54am On Oct 04, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:

Pls can I send you pm? want to discuss somethings with you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 1:08pm On Oct 04, 2019
victorsol:

Pls can I send you pm?
want to discuss somethings with you

I don't have access to my mail. Please could you post here?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 1:09pm On Oct 04, 2019
Cocao:

Hey i sent you a pm

I don't have access to my email. Please could you message here?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by victorsol(m): 1:31pm On Oct 04, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:

I don't have access to my mail. Please could you post here?
not really. can I drop my whatsapp number then?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by solastar2: 1:35pm On Oct 04, 2019
solastar2:
I wrote my GRE today, but the exam took me by surprise. Maybe I was not as good as I used to think. I was thinking I will score 165+ in quant but my prep score began to fall since last week maybe as a result of anger and disturbances from work. I did woefully, I was unable to score even 300 despite believe in my mathematical capability.
But notwithstanding sha, I will keep preparing and reregister once I noticed I have improved.

V141 Q156 (unofficial)

To make the story worse, I got 3.0 in AWA. I can't just wait to see my diagnostic. I have already paid for another exam. I just hope I won't fail again.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by victorsol(m): 1:48pm On Oct 04, 2019
solastar2:

To make the story worse, I got 3.0 in AWA. I can't just wait to see my diagnostic. I have already paid for another exam. I just hope I won't fail again.

sorry bro.
You won't fail again.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 4:36pm On Oct 04, 2019
I finally took the GRE. I did not have any intention of posting this until I had written another GRE.

I wrote the GRE December 6th last year. I was an undergraduate when I wrote it. I am still a student sha tongue

On the morning of the exam, I left where I was staying as early as I could and grabbed some food on the way so as to fill the stomach you know kiss. I got to JKK and did all the process that needed to be done before we were allowed in for the test. I was nervous all through, I was able to get my AWA done and wrote some points. As a moderately fast typer, I could get to write more in a little time.
Next one that came in was Verbal meaning I got verbal as my "test section", I never wanted it as per someone who prefers the Quant section of the test.

I kept on with the test and found the questions to be really difficult but still had a glimmer of hope for the second section. The 10 minutes minutes break came up, and after the break, something really bad happened. All of the computers lost connection to the internet so test takers had to wait for close to 30 or 45 minutes. At this point, I was already agitated and just could not wait for the test to end. Internet came back and I finished up with the exam. Results came out and it totally reflected my preparation level.

V - 145
Q - 149
Total: 294

AWA: 3.5

For my preparation, I did not prepare. All I did was go through some words, watched some magoosh videos. I knew some Mathematics and thought I could breeze through the quant section (or so I thought). Honestly, I knew I was cut to fail, but I still had the believe that the exam is verbal and Quant after-all despite warnings from previous test takers. The first time I went through AWA was the day before my exam. I never even managed to take a full test lol.

I do not have any advice as to what to do to ace the test, but what one should rather not do. The GRE is one that drains you. It is an exam where you have to assume you know nothing and prepare like you have only one shot at it cheesy.

I was waiting to write another GRE this year before sharing my experience but some months after my GRE, I was opportune to get an internship in the UK and got a return offer to resume there (user4321 probably has an idea of what this is about).

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 04, 2019
Olalekank:

I was waiting to write another GRE this year before sharing my experience but some months after my GRE, I was opportune to get an internship in the UK and got a return offer to resume there (user4321 probably has an idea of what this is about).
grin grin ..... olodos like us couldn't get anything... congratulations man, tech banker grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 6:10pm On Oct 04, 2019
user4321:

grin grin ..... olodos like us couldn't get anything... congratulations man, tech banker grin grin
Oga mi
No be by that oo

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 7:38pm On Oct 04, 2019
Olalekank:
I finally took the GRE. I did not have any intention of posting this until I had written another GRE.

I wrote the GRE December 6th last year. I was an undergraduate when I wrote it. I am still a student sha tongue

On the morning of the exam, I left where I was staying as early as I could and grabbed some food on the way so as to fill the stomach you know kiss. I got to JKK and did all the process that needed to be done before we were allowed in for the test. I was nervous all through, I was able to get my AWA done and wrote some points. As a moderately fast typer, I could get to write more in a little time.
Next one that came in was Verbal meaning I got verbal as my "test section", I never wanted it as per someone who prefers the Quant section of the test.

I kept on with the test and found the questions to be really difficult but still had a glimmer of hope for the second section. The 10 minutes minutes break came up, and after the break, something really bad happened. All of the computers lost connection to the internet so test takers had to wait for close to 30 or 45 minutes. At this point, I was already agitated and just could not wait for the test to end. Internet came back and I finished up with the exam. Results came out and it totally reflected my preparation level.

V - 145
Q - 149
Total: 294

AWA: 3.5

For my preparation, I did not prepare. All I did was go through some words, watched some magoosh videos. I knew some Mathematics and thought I could breeze through the quant section (or so I thought). Honestly, I knew I was cut to fail, but I still had the believe that the exam is verbal and Quant after-all despite warnings from previous test takers. The first time I went through AWA was the day before my exam. I never even managed to take a full test lol.

I do not have any advice as to what to do to ace the test, but what one should rather not do. The GRE is one that drains you. It is an exam where you have to assume you know nothing and prepare like you have only one shot at it cheesy.

Congrats bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 9:19pm On Oct 04, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:

No I didn't. I got a tuition waiver. No stipends though. I hope to be upgraded eventually.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 12:14am On Oct 05, 2019
Sherlock5577:

No I didn't. I got a tuition waiver. No stipends though. I hope to be upgraded eventually.

Wow!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 12:15am On Oct 05, 2019
Sherlock5577:

PhD or MSc?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 12:16am On Oct 05, 2019
Sherlock5577:

I wish you the best !!

What was your score?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by victorsol(m): 1:46am On Oct 05, 2019
Sherlock5577:

hello bro
UG - Agricultural Economics and I want to go for
Agricultural Economics for masters too. finished with
first class grade. My GRE score is below 300 too though very close to 300. I have like 4 other professional certificates, one publication and the second under review and working experience.
is it compulsory I write GRE again to get funding or I can use it like that. although I message one US graduate school yesterday for PhD direct from bsc and they said no but going for master could fetch me GA with my profile (this is from Graduate Program coordinator).
Actually i didn't one to put my profile here but I need a sincere advice, pls should I write another GRE or I apply like this since my other profile is strong because GRE is energy sucking.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:30am On Oct 05, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:

PhD or MSc?
MSc. I think PhDs stand a better chance of full funding!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:31am On Oct 05, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:

What was your score?
311. But I know of someone with a lower GRE getting full funding. So there's more to it than the GRE (though still very important).
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:38am On Oct 05, 2019
victorsol:

hello bro
UG - Agricultural Economics and I want to go for
Agricultural Economics for masters too. finished with
first class grade. My GRE score is below 300 too though very close to 300. I have like 4 other professional certificates, one publication and the second under review and working experience.
is it compulsory I write GRE again to get funding or I can use it like that. although I message one US graduate school yesterday for PhD direct from bsc and they said no but going for master could fetch me GA with my profile (this is from Graduate Program coordinator).
Actually i didn't one to put my profile here but I need a sincere advice, pls should I write another GRE or I apply like this since my other profile is strong because GRE is energy sucking.
Seriously I can't really say. I believe people have gotten funding with lower GRE scores. But a high GRE score could boost your chances of getting funding in higher ranked schools.
But you seem to have a good profile. I'd advise that you contact many more graduate coordinators. Search for "Agric Econs Gradcafe" on Google and you should find admission results for many schools. This might guide you. Also contact many professors who share similar research interests with you and make a decision from their response. If you get positive responses, then I would advise you apply. The thing about rewriting the exam is whether you'd be prepared enough to get a higher score. Moreover, early application is very important. Schools have deadlines for applicants hoping to get some assistantships. So if you'll rewrite you have limited time to prepare. But you should reach out to more researchers.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 8:33am On Oct 05, 2019
Sherlock5577:

311. But I know of someone with a lower GRE getting full funding. So there's more to it than the GRE (though still very important).

311 is okay.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Trichi1208: 10:24am On Oct 05, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

Q-150
V—147

someone with 291 still had full funding.

if you have good cgpa, u can shoot your shot
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by victorsol(m): 10:56am On Oct 05, 2019
Trichi1208:

pls do you have the person's contact, though my score is more than that. I want to contact him or her for my application
thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 2:40pm On Oct 05, 2019
Trichi1208:

With which schools?

(1) (2) (3) ... (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.