Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,227 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (514) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1350749 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Emeritusseun(m): 7:20am On Oct 12, 2019
nelem:

have you tried doing it through paypal?

if it persists you can reach out.
cheers

Yeegaa! Thank you.

I was able to successfully sign up for the PayPal and seamlessly order for my test scores to be sent to the schools.

I appreciate you.

Warmest regards

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Samcenation(m): 7:53am On Oct 12, 2019
Prettygud:
I wrote my GRE today.. Twas not as I expected. As a first time taker, I thought it was just some baby exam. I start prep August, so my prep was just approximately 2 months.

Some bad luck started following me from 6am today when I woke up, I stood straight to stretch, not knowing the fan was not really far up, I ended up cutting my right hand finger nails into two, blood everywhere. This happened because it's not my house, I didn't know the fan was low. I went to a near by chemist to treat my self. This weakened my confidence as I could nearly hold a pen. (don't stretch if u aren't familiar with the room on the day of ur test angry..)
Anyways I got to the centre in abuja 8:40am, the whole check in process was carried out and we started.
I have long Bern praying for 3 quants but after the incident I pray for 3 verbal( which I wasn't good at).
I wrote the test with the pain. Typing wasn't easy. But I know I did well in the AWA, my topics were sweet, straight forward, already worked on similar topics from the ETS pool of essays. I should write about 700 words for each, could have written more if I could be faster.

The first verbal was difficult, then I hard I tough quants, then break, another equally tough verbal, now I knew the first should be the experimental as I didn't really do well. The next quants was lot tougher than most practice test I have taken. What surprise me was that my last verbal was equally tough as the previous ones, I assumed I did well in the previous verbal, probably that's
Why I got another difficult one. Little did I know that I was joking with myself, all fantasy.

I will be having a rewrite by early December, by then I should have solved the mystery of verbal.
And please I will appreciate tips on verbal because I employed all that I knew during the test.

I clicked reports score and there was my 55k staring at me on the screen..
If u register GRE for a cheap price and u are genuine, please send me ur contact.

V152Q164(316) undecided..

I beg coming test takers, forget the learning of big words, the GRE dosent have big words like that, its straight forward.. Learn few words, the common ones, forget advance words and Co.. U can use magoosh flashcard for.. My problem in verbal from practice yes has always been RCs which I sometime get 3 or 4 of 10, but TC and SE are good.

Stick to one material, the most important of all is the ETS materials, all the questions that fly around are not GRE like, some are extremely tougher without clues but GRE TC and SE gives u enough clues, just learn to find it in RCs too, that's my own issue for now..

For quants, ETS is also still the best.. Then u can use magoosh or Manhattan.
Princeton practice test is a very close predictor of your real score.
I'm interested in the magoosh account.
sophosgob@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kemade14: 9:24am On Oct 12, 2019
Samcenation:

I'm interested in the magoosh account.
sophosgob@gmail.com
Me too.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kemade14: 9:35am On Oct 12, 2019
1b8m:
Good morning my good people.

My profile:

B.tech, Chemical/petrochemical engineering (2.97, Wes evaluation)

M.tech chemical/petrochemical engineering (4.33)

1 peer review published paper

Just registered for gre.

Is the profile strong enough to compete for a tuition-waived PhD program in the US?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Paccus: 9:49am On Oct 12, 2019
kemade14:

What was your B.tech CGPA before Wes evaluated it?

I had a 3.46/4 but want to bypass Wes as I am limited by funds.
3.46/4 or 3.46/5
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kemade14: 10:14am On Oct 12, 2019
Paccus:
3.46/4 or 3.46/5
Sorry, mistake. It's 3.46/5
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Paccus: 10:30am On Oct 12, 2019
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Paccus: 10:41am On Oct 12, 2019
kemade14:

Sorry, mistake. It's 3.46/5
it will fall around 3.17 + or -
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kemade14: 7:19pm On Oct 12, 2019
Paccus:

it will fall around 3.17 + or -
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by morgang(m): 2:09am On Oct 13, 2019
Hi everyone, I tired earlier to evaluate my GPA via WES but it seem pretty vague to me. My cpga is on a scale of 7.0 and I graduated with 5.1 (5.1/7 uni Ibadan) standard. What’s my likely GPA on a scale of 4.0 ? and kindly help with the processes of evaluating GPA on WES please...

I appreciate your inputs in proxy.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Paccus: 2:36am On Oct 13, 2019
kemade14:

It's 3.46 not 3.64 oo.

I was told I can't do direct masters in Canada with this since it's a second class lower.
yeah i know its 3.46... it will fall around 3.17/4.0.. you were thinking it will go below 3.0?? i don't know about Canadian schools, but you are good to go for US schools
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:40pm On Oct 13, 2019
morgang:
Hi everyone, I tired earlier to evaluate my GPA via WES but it seem pretty vague to me. My cpga is on a scale of 7.0 and I graduated with 5.1 (5.1/7 uni Ibadan) standard. What’s my likely GPA on a scale of 4.0 ? and kindly help with the processes of evaluating GPA on WES please...

I appreciate your inputs in proxy.
I also finished from UI few years ago when the school was still using the 7-point grading system.

Here is how to do the unofficial WES evaluation to convert your grade to its 4-point equivalent:

1. Visit https://applications.wes.org/igpa-calculator/igpa.asp
2. Create an account on the site.
3. Input each of your courses from 100–400L.

That takes some time but it's quite straightforward.

The service will then display your CGPA rated on the 4-point scale and mail it to you (for unofficial purpose).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by morgang(m): 1:00pm On Oct 13, 2019
gensteejay:

I also finished from UI few years ago when the school was still using the 7-point grading system.

Here is how to do the unofficial WES evaluation to convert your grade to its 4-point equivalent:

The service will then display your CGPA rated on the 4-point scale and mail it to you (for unofficial purpose).

Okay, I so much appreciate this. Thanks very much

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kemade14: 2:39pm On Oct 13, 2019
Paccus:
yeah i know its 3.46... it will fall around 3.17/4.0.. you were thinking it will go below 3.0?? i don't know about Canadian schools, but you are good to go for US schools
Yes, I thought it would. Thank you for your time and responses.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Slammmmmmmm(m): 3:21pm On Oct 13, 2019
gensteejay:

Awesome. Thanks man

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by morgang(m): 9:55pm On Oct 13, 2019
gensteejay:

Hi, sorry if I seem a bit naive. Can I go ahead and input my final project grade (long essay) in the data on WES ?

Note- the project UNIT (which is 7) is different from all other units and might affect the computations as a whole.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 13, 2019
morgang:

Hi, sorry if I seem a bit naive. Can I go ahead and input my final project grade (long essay) in the data on WES ?

Note- the project UNIT (which is 7) is different from all other units and might affect the computations as a whole.

Thanks
Yes. Number of units and your grade in every course you took in schools are to be supplied on the site.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by morgang(m): 10:01pm On Oct 13, 2019
gensteejay:

Yes. Number of units and your grade in every course you took in schools are to be supplied on the site.

Awesome. You’re the best
Thanks �

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Jonathan39: 10:29pm On Oct 13, 2019
Boss i want to take this exam can you help me out with materials, I will really appreciate. Thanks
EconMajor:
Hello, everyone! I guess this is my first post on this thread since 2017!

I took my first GRE in September 2017 in Port Harcourt.
Total: 302. Quantitative: 149 Analytical Writing: 4.0

My second GRE was on August 9, 2019.
Total: 311. Quantitative: 159 Analytical Writing: 4.5.

The major reasons why I improved my quantitative score by 10 points are because I used better materials to prepare and I was more serious with my second exam. I spent about 90% of my 3 months study period on quant because I knew that I can score at least 150 in verbal and 4 in Analytical writing without serious preparation. For quant preparation, I opened a Word file where I saved important formulas and techniques for further revision. This was important because I had key concepts under my belt during the exam. I didn't get my target score of 160 in the quantitative section but that's fine.

An important lesson I learned from my exams is that mastering good materials is an easy way to improve your score. Future test takers should prioritize Manhattan, Magoosh, ETS guide, ETS math review, ETS powerprep plus, and Princeton Review. Also, taking practice tests are helpful. I took about 12 full-length practice test before my exam and my average scores in these tests are quite close to my main score. You should also have a robust template for the essays, you don't want to spend 2 minutes thinking about how to start your essay.

Complacency and not using the right materials were my greatest undoings when I took my first exam. Fresh out of college with a top GPA, I took the powerprep exam and got 156 in the quantitative section without any preparation. I thought I could do well in GRE without serious preparation. My scores proved me wrong. Actually, I used 7 months to prepare but I wasn't serious, didn't master important techniques, and did no practice test.

All in all, GRE doesn't care about your First Class. You have to respect the exam because it is not easy. Try to calm yourself down on the exam day by reminding yourself how well you have prepared and how competitive the other parts of your application are. If you let the GRE psych you out; you've already started failing!

Good luck to those planning to take the exam!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Omeiza2017: 12:44am On Oct 14, 2019
Pls add me to the whatsapp group.... Pls

My number is 08143411538

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by isaacbill01: 1:11am On Oct 14, 2019
Good day everyone,
I recently took the GRE and the result was disastrous. Q 146 V 146. Total 292. That's is history. I intend to rewrite after careful consideration and in a order to meet the deadline of my proposed program. I have about 1 and half months (6 weeks) to do so.
I have identify RC, data interpretation as my major weakness. Though I still await the diagnostic to further ascertain how I fared. Please I need strategy on how to improve so I can cross the 300 mark.

For my previous exam I used magoosh video for quant and solve in 5lb. And magoosh video for verbal.
Which book and technique can you advise. Thanks for your time .

Bsc 3.54 /5
Msc 5.5/7

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 1b8m: 8:19am On Oct 14, 2019
kemade14:

What was your B.tech CGPA before Wes evaluated it?

I had a 3.46/5 but want to bypass Wes as I am limited by funds.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Oizamsi2019(m): 8:23am On Oct 14, 2019
I'm new here but i intend taking the GRE next month.I'm looking for study buddies.Studying alone is not yielding the best results.I'm also interested in the whatsapp group.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 1b8m: 9:41am On Oct 14, 2019
1b8m:
Good morning again my very good people.
I have been practicing solo for the gre but I feel if I register for a tutorial, I'm going to be more inspired as I am now

Please can someone recommend a good gre tutorial centre in portharcourt for me? Thanks a lot!
please
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 14, 2019
Prettygud:
If u are interested in the magoosh premium account, dm via mail.
please kindly send the materials to
scadeofficial@gmail.com
Thank you immensely.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by morgang(m): 7:25pm On Oct 14, 2019
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TJ0987(f): 7:28pm On Oct 14, 2019
Hello Guys,
My profile is as follows...
Bsc (urban and regional planning) 3.19/4 (Wes unofficial),
MSc (environmental pollution control) 3.17/4 (Wes unofficial),
GRE Q 151, V 157,
Toefl S=29, R=29, L=27, W=25 (110),
3 years work experience in the Federal service.
I am looking to do a PhD in Environmental Policy, I want to veer a little bit from the core sciences into the social sciences.
Unfortunately, a large portion of schools only offer the course at the masters level.
I will keep searching, I really hope I can get in for fall 2020. Getting the PhD has been a life long dream for me, but with the careful guidance of the wonderful people on this platform, I know the dream can become a reality.
God bless you all...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 14, 2019
Just got back to my abode. Left Dragnet almost immediately after the exam. It’s being a long day and i wish I could say more.. anyways, not so impressed but a bit happy and confused how I managed to get 162Q and 156 in Verbal despite burning the midnight candle and putting more efforts in verbal. My profile goes thus;

GRE- 318 (162Q 156V) unofficial
Toefl- Undecided (not sure if it’s needed)
GPA- 5.1/7 (not sure how to covert yet.. can anyone be of help ?)
Degree- Political Science

Schools (MA program)

1- Bowling Greene University
2- Cleveland State University
3- University of Kansas
4- George Washington University

Note- haven’t started applications yet because I was unsure of my readiness. Hence, I’m starting my SOP soon.. anyone can suggest/help with a template/professional site to use as guide.

Questions-

1) How long does it take for the official score to be ready starting from today ?

2) Converting my GPA to 4.0 standard is a mystery to me despite staring on WES IGPA calculator for “hours”. I need your help in private if you have an insight...

3) Any school generous with funding in my field of study (Political Science) is welcomed. Kindly recommend..

Thanks in proxy

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by juliouze: 11:23pm On Oct 14, 2019
Oizamsi2019:
I'm new here but i intend taking the GRE next month.I'm looking for study buddies.Studying alone is not yielding the best results.I'm also interested in the whatsapp group.
Done
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:04am On Oct 15, 2019
juliouze:

Done

(1) (2) (3) ... (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.