Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,974 members, 7,814,317 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN (48830 Views)

Lagos Ebola Patients Neglected,critically Ill – Relatives,colleagues / Striking Doctors Offer To Treat Ebola Patients / American Ebola Patients Saved With A "Secret Serum" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Joshuadon: 12:39pm On Aug 05, 2014
Am all ears
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 05, 2014
95% of the comment made in this thread is an indication of why things are not working for us Africans. We always blame others for our problems. US was blamed for bringing HIV to africa and now Ebola. Has anybody ever heard of " the black death"? It was a disease much more deadly than Ebola. It ravaged europe in the middle ages, wiping out nearly half of its population. The disease was a bubonic plague. It was spread by rats. An infected person has 0% chance of survival. It was a man named Nastaradamus who found a cure for it. I guess people might want to blame it on scientists. To me, its nature. In life new strains of disease are being born everyday. I'll suggest u guys check up "the black death" on wikipedia.

9 Likes

Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 05, 2014
hansibone: if i may ask we africans to sit down and think with our heads and not with our eyes and ears... then we will see were our future lies.

man and animals have been co - existing before any gaddamn super power was created.... only for some folks to start brainwashing us that monkeys spread HIV, now fruit bats and monkeys also spread ebola.... damn.....damn....

The virus was there back then....the reason why it was not widespread was because there wasno such thing as cars,airplanes, etc in the 17th century.

Plus,viruses can get mutated fast....as an example...a mutated flu virus killed millions across the globe in 1918. (Normal flu viruses cause a mild febrille illness). The mutation might have arisen spontaneously. Ebola ....and HIV could have spread that way.

HIV in particular may have been a mutated form of an ape virus that got into humans in the 1930's(that is where we have our earliest HIV cases on record). Plus HIV is not an effective killer.....it cannot kill people with a defect in a receptor in their CD4 cells called CCRX5..gents and ladies who do not have that receptor...and that includes lots of Africans ...can never come down with AIDS.

why were these animals not spreading these viruses and diseases prior to the 19th century....(coming a bit close to our century) or should i take it back to the 17th century.... (at least we have documentations of the earth then)?

We had documentations back then....but it is only in the last 60 years that we have learned how viruses work, talklessof how DNA and RNA work. We only understood how viruses enter cells in the late 1960's.

Many people died of viral diseases in the past...including Europeans.Most times the cause of death was either unknown...or (for Europeans working in Africa)...African fever.(No such disease exists...just the doctor's code word for ''I don't know"').

we need to ask ourselves these questions..... some centuries ago, these animals did not transmit viruses or diseases to us..... then all of a sudden these animals became propagators of deadly viruses...! (In PIDGIN MAKE UNA PONDER OH)....
Again,many people died of viral diseases...including Ebola. The fact that until the 20th century...most Africans lived in isolated communties....and travel was a matter of days and weeks...not hours as it is today.(If Sawyer the Lberian lived 300 years ago...he would have died in his village....and he would have died in the equivalent of the Evil Forest...our ancestors practiced a crude form of isolation. Instead he died in Lagos....taking a journey from Liberia in a few hours that a 100 years ago would have taken weeks by foot.).
these gaddamn world powers come to africa, pick our animals, take them to labs.... perform gaddam experiments on them and then release them back to the wild...... CANT YOU ALL SEE THESE......................

All animals used in lab experiments are euthanized afterwards.....(that'sone of the reasons why Animal rights activists protest outside research facilties). They cannot be used in the food supply....and in most instances...there is hardly a wild to release them to. Plus...there is the risk of driving animal species into extinction...thus upsetting the ecological balance.

No conspiracy.

3 Likes

Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by ayandee: 12:40pm On Aug 05, 2014
I hope this discovery would put an end to the ebola spread
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Burger01(m): 12:41pm On Aug 05, 2014
Bawss1:

Unbelievable! Where do you derive the effontry to demand how the US should go about dealing with these diseases? I won't even pay attention to the first part of your post and the ridiculous claims it contains.

With people like this there is no hope for Nigeria.
Tell me one commendable medical breakthrough Nigeria has attained in the research and cure for communicable diseases. i'm here to learn. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 05, 2014
Salex007: Military disease created by the americans in other to reduce the population of africans
And it took dem 38 years to develop a serum for d disease dey created abi? Since 1976 wats d percentage of reduction in african population since outbreak of d disease? Get ur facts right before u talk. Dnt talk ignorantly

2 Likes

Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 05, 2014
emmansy:

Aunty what is d difference between d 2? Oh! Cos I didn't mention Zaire, ok 1point for u grin Efiko!!!
CONGO IS IN *CENTRAL* AFRICA,U SAID IT WAS A VILLAGE IN *WEST* AFRICAwink
THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE tongue
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 05, 2014
God punish all of you guys here in Africa esp naija! do you guys really deserve to be alive? all of you are like babies who can't help themselves. research and trials have going on for years to develope effective cure for the disease. while every living soul in naija were in deep slumber snorring. though these remedies have not yet been approved by FDA and other bodies for public consumption. have you guys ever wondered while you are called scum of the earth? just take a look at the last immigration recruitment exercise! I rest my case.

2 Likes

Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by sylve11: 12:47pm On Aug 05, 2014
BedLam: It matters not if we like it or not, this is a wake up call for Africa! Stop praying and work! Get busy, research! Not just study for the papers that has no value. Nothing is free in this world, not in Freetown! What will it cost the Nigerian Government to commit 1billion$ to the research and development of Ebola drugs and vaccines? But no! we like being enslaved, waiting for the West.

tah! That money is shared before coughing it out. Nigerians belive in prayers than hard-work. cool
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 05, 2014
tosag: 95% of the comment made in this thread is an indication of why things are not working for us Africans. We always blame others for our problems. US was blamed for bringing HIV to africa and now Ebola. Has anybody ever heard of " the black death"? It was a disease much more deadly than Ebola. It ravaged europe in the middle ages, wiping out nearly half of its population. The disease was a bubonic plague. It was spread by rats. An infected person has 0% chance of survival. It was a man named Nastaradamus who found a cure for it. I guess people might want to blame it on scientists. To me, its nature. In life new strains of disease are being born everyday. I'll suggest u guys check up "the black death" on wikipedia.
GBAM!!!!!!
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by englishmart(m): 12:49pm On Aug 05, 2014
sunnyshayne:

Brother, this is what we do to survive in NL.
until it becomes a crime, abeg book o
cheesy
but you don edit am?
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by GoldenHrt2k14(f): 12:49pm On Aug 05, 2014
I pray this serum is indeed the cure of this deadly disease cos it's so scary. One can't even do things freely without the tot of Ebola virus. Nawa oooo lipsrsealed
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 05, 2014
Am finking dey grounded tkmebola vaccine so zmapp can take d glory....

A Canadian pharmaceutical company called Tekmira has been at work for the past few years on an Ebola treatment calledTKM-Ebola. It has been among the most advanced attempts at a drug that could protect against, and treat, the disease — but was also recently dealt a setback by the Food and Drug Administration.

Diseases like Ebola often have difficulty attracting investment, as pharmaceutical companies rarely see a large payday in tackling a disease that has rare outbreaks and affects a low-income area of the world.
But TKM-Ebola has attracted the interest of the government. The Defense Department awarded it a contract for $140 million in 2010, after the vaccine proved completely effectivein treating non-human primates in chimps. The government's interest in vaccinating against Ebola is largely rooted in preventing bioterrorism attacks, where the disease could be used a weapon.
In January, TKM-Ebola beganPhase One trialswith the Food and Drug Administration, injecting its first patient with the drug on January 14. This is the phase where drug companies test whether a drug is safe — that it doesn't create dangerous complications or side effects — before bigger studies look at whether the drug actually works.
The drug got added to the FDA's "fast track" schedule two months later, in March. That's a designation given to drugs that can help treat conditions without any current therapies. Once a drug receives that designation, its creators are eligible for more frequent meetings with FDA regulators, aimed at speeding up the drug's development.
But more recently the federal government has dealt TKM-Ebola a setback: the FDA haltedthe treatment's phase one trials at the start of July, requesting that Tekmira provide additional information about how the drug actually works, before the company begins giving trial subjects even larger dosages. That happens in Phase One trials to test how much the human body can handle.

So for the past month now, the TKM-Ebola trial has been on hold as Tekmira pulls together this information. "Our team is working expediently to respond to the FDA," Tekmira chief executive Mark Murray saidin a recent statement. "We are mindful of the need for this important therapeutic in situations such as the ongoing Ebola outbreak in West Africa."
TKM-Ebola may not be the only hope: the New York Times reportedSunday that unnamed Ebola vaccine has been added to the FDA's Fast Track, and will be injected into human subjects beginning in September.
Still, both of these treatments are early in the research and development project. After Phase One testing comes Phases Two and Three, which typically involve running trials on hundreds and then thousands of subjects, respectively.
The halting of the Phase One research, Jonathan Gardner at EPVantage writes, not only "represent a setback for research into treating the deadly virus, it also serves to demonstrate how far the sector is from discovering a cure or vaccine."

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.vox.com/2014/7/29/5948415/ebola-outbreak-disease-virus-symptoms-africa-facts-guinea-nigeria&sa=U&ei=NMPgU8y5DoTpPNSdgPgK&ved=0CBwQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNHa8CT4-mKk82mQ2zfvSsy_vHSiJg
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by chiwuike20: 12:57pm On Aug 05, 2014
Officiallyurs: Why the question mark? Are you asking olodo nigerian doctors if it is a possible cure?
All they know how to do is give panadol
and u think ur brothers, sisters, uncles and aunty that are lawyers, doctors, engineers, accountants, economists are not all bunch of olodos? u r one hell of an olodo urself
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 05, 2014
Have ya'll heard of d spanish flu influenza dat killed abt 100million people across europe, asia n d rest of d world in 1918/19? Yet ya'll r sayn ebola is created by some people in some country, its nt evn as deadly as d H1N1 virus. Will u also say som1 somwhr created influenza too? Get some brains fellas

2 Likes

Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by fedimol: 1:01pm On Aug 05, 2014
BedLam: It matters not if we like it or not, this is a wake up call for Africa! Stop praying and work! Get busy, research! Not just study for the papers that has no value. Nothing is free in this world, not in Freetown! What will it cost the Nigerian Government to commit 1billion$ to the research and development of Ebola drugs and vaccines? But no! we like being enslaved, waiting for the West.

It will cost them $1B. Its easy to just make comments from the side
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 05, 2014
chiwuike20:
and u think ur brothers, sisters, uncles and aunty that are lawyers, doctors, engineers, accountants, economists are not all bunch of olodos? u r one hell of an olodo urself

Kiss my black azzz
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by bossanmayor(m): 1:09pm On Aug 05, 2014
wot re Africans doctors doing,re de just called doctor or spear part .
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 05, 2014
thought they (American Doctors) said there needed 10 billion dollars to get Ebola vaccines, hw come it's been gotten 4rm a Sub-zero nd already tested........is dis a way of extracting money from Africa or just a way 2 av us accept their evil policies?
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by DonaldGenes(m): 1:18pm On Aug 05, 2014
WWW.NoComment.com
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by ceejayluv(m): 1:20pm On Aug 05, 2014
hansibone: if i may ask we africans to sit down and think with our heads and not with our eyes and ears... then we will see were our future lies.

man and animals have been co - existing before any gaddamn super power was created.... only for some folks to start brainwashing us that monkeys spread HIV, now fruit bats and monkeys also spread ebola.... damn.....damn....

why were these animals not spreading these viruses and diseases prior to the 19th century....(coming a bit close to our century) or should i take it back to the 17th century.... (at least we have documentations of the earth then)?

we need to ask ourselves these questions..... some centuries ago, these animals did not transmit viruses or diseases to us..... then all of a sudden these animals became propagators of deadly viruses...! (In PIDGIN MAKE UNA PONDER OH)....

these gaddamn world powers come to africa, pick our animals, take them to labs.... perform gaddam experiments on them and then release them back to the wild...... CANT YOU ALL SEE THESE......................
Rats spread the bubonic plague in the 14th century that killed almost a quarter of the European population then.... Do some research before you spew conspiracy trash....

1 Like

Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by chiwuike20: 1:20pm On Aug 05, 2014
Babalegba: I tire for Nigerian mentality o. What exactly has all the money spent on Nigerian education achieved. Anyway the Americans have a serum that has not been extensively tested. They are unwilling to use it on Africans at the moment because there might be accusations from Africand that they are being used as guinea pigs but they used it on their own citizens in a last ditch attempt to save their lives. I read about it on the bbc website .
u must also believe that Saddam Hussein's Iraq had a weapon of mass destruction in it's soil. u must be a gullible scholar
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 05, 2014
mekula: How come there has been no fatality in other continents outside Africa as concerns Ebola whereas there have been numerous outbreaks in the past in US, UK, Phillipines, Italy? Only in Africa have people died from the virus till date. Why did the liberian man travel to Nigeria, knowing fully well he had the virus? I think he was sent here on a mission, but God intervened, because if that man had entered the streets of Lagos like that...we'd be seeing a different scenario.

Whenever these people develop another strain of Ebola, they will come and test it out on Africa and give it another variant, hence Ebola Sudan, e.t.c. Maybe they want to create Ebola Nigeria now.
God forbid! Olorun ma je o! I return their Ebola by fire by force through Christ my Lord! Amen.
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by babseg(m): 1:22pm On Aug 05, 2014
Onegai: Typical, typical of Africans. It is never our fault, it is someone else's problem, they should come and save us, while we hurl insults at them.

Even if Ebola was developed by Americans, 38 years after it was discovered in Congo, NOT ONE African govt had funded research on it, not one single one. Or was the CIA forbidding you from doing research, nope, your greed, selfishness, ineptitude and corruption stopped any single Minister of Health from doing anything.

The US and some British labs developed a cure because they had the foresight to think if those countries were attacked with a bio-terrorist weapon, they will make money selling the cure to the Dept. Of Defense (they are the ones now funding ZMapp). Anyone who has taken "the stop" in Virginia, and worked there knows what I'm talking about.

The big Malaria research hospital in Gambia (where they've done research on viruses), is it sponsored by an African govt? NOPE! The place is filled with Indians, Europeans and Nigerian doctors are running there daily, your govt cannot even go and say "take this money, so my country has a stake in your findings". Mbah, we are waiting for WHO and US aid.

Then we will insult them, and at the same time, ask them to develop a cure and vaccine quickly. Since January, has your govt even bothered to sensitise us about Ebola, monitor flights from hotzones or even ask WHO or MSF to conduct clinical trials with whatever compound they think is in Bitter Kola, that Maurice Iwu wrote about years ago, that purports to treat Ebola? NOPE! (Did they even try to ask, or just gave excuse "you know those people are sponsored by US firms"wink. We're now doing medicine after death.

The world owes Africa NOTHING and will keep treating you like 2nd-class citizens until you start taking responsibility for yourselves. We don't have money to fund research, yet our presidential fleet has 9 private jets and our lawmakers are better paid than more-developed countries. Common sense and responsibility isn't part of the Black race. Abegi!!

OMG, Im seriously in love with you for this wonderful comment.

1 Like

Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 05, 2014
Seun, I wish you also have dislike button, so I can dislike comments like this one angry
kaffy4tope:

Your Mumuism no get Rival....

They created Ebola then launch it to Africa?

No wonda Nigeria is still where it is.

2 Likes

Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Lexusgs430: 1:26pm On Aug 05, 2014
Western Governments PUT money towards research and development. Our 3rd world rulers, PUT money in their pockets and those of well wishers.
Diaris God OH Diaris God OH
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by ibdeals1(m): 1:29pm On Aug 05, 2014

well even if the allocate $10bill dollars they will still embezzle it and wont allow it to be used for the main purpose it will all be diverted for their personal use cry cry
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by berrystunn(m): 1:31pm On Aug 05, 2014
Scam
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by yhemini: 1:33pm On Aug 05, 2014
kekakuz: Chai.
Secret serum

Oyinbo wey do pencil
Na dem do erazer

Create virus just to sell anti virusvirus embarassed

am telling you.. God help us
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Superstar007(m): 1:34pm On Aug 05, 2014
ekytessy: See wat EBOLA av caused now
"I Just switched on My Nokia Phone Dis Morning & The Two Hands Refuse to Shake Hands wink

LoL grin cheesy grin
Re: Secret Serum Likely Saved Ebola Patients, CNN by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 05, 2014
BedLam: http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/experimental-ebola-serum/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

The beginnings of the Racoon City Saga.

What Next now? The missionaries will start having some adverse drug reactions and then they all turn to blood sucking zombies and then what?

Resident Evil things!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

2 Elderly People Slump And Die After Alighting From Vehicles In Rivers (Graphic) / My Menstruation Date Is Not Stable / Lifeless Body Of Man Found Hanging From A Tree In Lagos (Disturbing Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.