Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,379 members, 7,812,106 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:20 AM

President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> (27348 Views)

Poll: Make your choice for next president:

IBB: 6% (42 votes)
Buhari: 8% (50 votes)
Atiku: 5% (35 votes)
Marwa: 3% (19 votes)
Oshiomole: 4% (28 votes)
Okotie: 8% (53 votes)
Duke: 19% (118 votes)
Okonjo-Iweala: 9% (58 votes)
Obasanjo: 2% (17 votes)
Odili: 2% (16 votes)
Utomi: 17% (105 votes)
Yar'adua: 10% (62 votes)
This poll has ended

Otuoke (bayelsa) In 2007 And 2014-google Earth... / British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 / Pat Utomi For President In 2007? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by Mariory(m): 10:57pm On Jul 26, 2006
^
^

LoL I'm speechless. Pure comedy!
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by omonozozo(m): 12:37am On Jul 27, 2006
Duke is the ideal candidate, while IBB is a NO NO!. All the supporters for IBB are just ignorant.
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by favour5(f): 3:08am On Jul 27, 2006
Pls could IBB fans tell me one good he did while he was presido? Is the presidential seat his family property and he, the heir? Pls don't get me wrong, I certainly understand you have the right to air your opinion but for heaven's sake, this is about the lives of about 150million pple. So kindly review your decision!
We don't need militants nor ex-presidents up there again.
Their era was over and cannot be reversed.
Let the new ones reign!
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by FemiD(m): 3:45am On Jul 27, 2006
IBB Why on earth will people think that IBB will come as a saint? Have you tried observing him and realise that He is still the same old maradona. I mean if he means good, let him first give an account of the 'boom from the gulf', let him apologise to the nation for making us go through hell in the hands of ABACHA, courtesy of his evil annulment. I mean there is more to be expected from him b4 he can even start dreaming of being President not to talk of being one.

I honestly think no one in his complete state of mind will advocate a come-back for IBB except those caught up in his naira web. IBB! go to hell!

I am honestly yet to have a presidential candidate, but all I know is that the South-south should come together and present a credible candidate. This will go a long way in balancing the political equation. Fair play is the nameof the game. Nigeria is so large and so blessed that we can afford to have 'best candidate' in all states of the Federation, so why not from South-south.
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by favour5(f): 3:53am On Jul 27, 2006
FemiD:

IBB Why on earth will people think that IBB will come as a saint? Have you tried observing him and realise that He is still the same old maradona. I mean if he means good, let him first give an account of the 'boom from the gulf', let him apologise to the nation for making us go through hell in the hands of ABACHA, courtesy of his evil annulment. I mean there is more to be expected from him before he can even start dreaming of being President not to talk of being one.

I honestly think no one in his complete state of mind will advocate a come-back for IBB except those caught up in his naira web. IBB! go to hell!

I am honestly yet to have a presidential candidate, but all I know is that the South-south should come together and present a credible candidate. This will go a long way in balancing the political equation. Fair play is the nameof the game. Nigeria is so large and so blessed that we can afford to have 'best candidate' in all states of the Federation, so why not from South-south.

Pls tell them!
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by buchio7(m): 8:52am On Jul 27, 2006
so nigeria still needs i.b.b,obasanjo,atiku etc? na wah, ohhh!!! 80% of d ppl in dat list shd be facing tribunals for corruption n murder nt standing 4 president. an okotie is nt a tested administrator so i would rather stick my neck out with duke though he has his bad sides but his youth,vision,energy,education and polished personality stands him out from d rest
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by Oracle(m): 10:20am On Jul 28, 2006
Dunno, can't really say
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by raldsfield(m): 8:49pm On Jul 28, 2006
Are you sure IBB is not on this forum.

Who else will vote for him but himself.

IBB I can see you. shocked
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by IBBFan(m): 9:37pm On Jul 28, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy @raldsfield

i haven't voted till this very moment because jafar has refused to include "none of the above" as an option for those who don't have any candidate. but if i wait longer to no avail, then i'll just do like you said!! wink wink

cool cool cool
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by Revolution: 11:23pm On Jul 28, 2006
Gomer, no I didn't see the duke interview in the guardian on Sunday. I tried searching for it but can't find it. Have you got the link?
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by otokx(m): 9:48am On Jul 29, 2006
I see duke is winning. What is he offering?
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 29, 2006
@ Seun: Why would you be that strict. You vote for your candidate depending on what he is promising and his antecedents. But if someone like me sees nobody to lead this carton on that list or any list or from any political party then it's up to me to abstain. What is wrong in that? What do Americans mean by swing votes? Undecided Voters? We always have hobson's choice in this carton but because of no public will, to dislodge and force the politicians into resignation,make them our choices. It's too bad we can't boast of a good man to contest even LOT made it out from Sodom and Gomorrah.
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by Seun(m): 12:22pm On Jul 29, 2006
doctor: My choice candidate is not among the list.
Could you tell us the name of this candidate?
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by Scatter(m): 1:10pm On Jul 29, 2006
As for me i will vote for okonjo -iweale a million times because she got what it takes to save nigeria. Nigeria needs a saviour now. Forget the ibbs atikus and buharis and the other thieves and psycophants as far as they are concerned the presidency is a place to replenish their dwindling foreing accounts in the billions. May God forgive them in advance angry and give nigerians the forseight to choose the right person! (that is if rigging is arrested) grin
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by JayOJay(m): 2:37pm On Jul 29, 2006
Scatter:

As for me i will vote for okonjo -iweale a million times because she got what it takes to save nigeria. Nigeria needs a saviour now. Forget the ibbs atikus and buharis and the other thieves and psycophants as far as they are concerned the presidency is a place to replenish their dwindling foreing accounts in the billions. May God forgive them in advance angry and give nigerians the forseight to choose the right person! (that is if rigging is arrested) grin

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!! wink
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by DaHitler(m): 3:07pm On Jul 29, 2006
Scatter:

Shut up! Buhari doesn't have billions. And in case you don't know, ever since the second republic, Buhari has been the most honest ruler Nigeria has ever had.
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by Scatter(m): 3:23pm On Jul 29, 2006
@ afeni
buhari is not the most honest leader nigeria has ever had ( AND DONT SAY SHUT TO ME )we should turn the efcc on buhari and you will be shocked at the can of margots that that will be brought to the open! Nigerian past military leaders have failed naija big time they are a disgrace (Except idiagbon) THEY SHOULD GIVE WAY FOR HONEST PATRIOTIC NIGERIAN LEADERS THAT HAVE NIGERIANS INTEREST AT HEART NOT THEIR BANK ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by kitaun(m): 4:00pm On Jul 29, 2006
Majority of you guys think its all about having brains or about appearing flawless but the issue we have not been able to really adress is the issue of the one who can successful hold the country together as one compact unit, i hate to think of it but to me i still feel that because of the nascence of our democracy and the fact that we as Nigerians are so indisciplined we still need someone with a military background, at least until the debris of the past corrupt regimes have been cleared.

Do you really think if Olu Falae had been declared winner of the 1999 elections we would not have had a coup ?
So many questions have been left unanswered especially about our polity,God Save Naija
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by JayOJay(m): 5:19pm On Jul 29, 2006
kitaun:

Majority of you guys think its all about having brains or about appearing flawless but the issue we have not been able to really adress is the issue of the one who can successful hold the country together as one compact unit, i hate to think of it but to me i still feel that because of the nascence of our democracy and the fact that we as Nigerians are so indisciplined we still need someone with a military background, at least until the debris of the past corrupt regimes have been cleared.

Do you really think if Olu Falae had been declared winner of the 1999 elections we would not have had a coup ?
So many questions have been left unanswered especially about our polity,God Save Naija

It's not about Military might, it's about people coming up with one voice and standing by it. See what happen during the 3rd term agenda! Nigerians said no! The national assembly interpreted the voice of the people rightly! That was democracy at work! That is the beauty of democracy! Dictatorship is never the solution, you make too many enemies and your enemy will come back at you and the trend continues without end. Don't forget that to end a war you still have to come to the round table because you can never completely eliminate your enemy. Let Nigerians learn to be honest & stand by what they believe in then democracy can root itself without the military!

All the ex-military leader posing again, when they were there what did they do? Stealing emptying Nigeria's treasury & denying Nigeria the chance of moving on each time the opportunity appears at the horizon. Baba almost turned down democracy again with his 3rd term agenda. If you believe in democracy, then you will know that Military just don't have the brain.
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by kitaun(m): 5:36pm On Jul 29, 2006
OK,accepted the military don't have the brain but what we need most is Nation of individuals standing up for their rights to entrench what they believe is right but do you know also that the opposition to the 3rd term agenda was also as a result of the coalition of strange bedfellows whom unfortunately are not by a speck better than OBJ himself.let us not forget that the vote of the common man never counts in this country but we keep talking of the IDEALISTIC situation, but do we really look into the[b] REALISTIC [/b] situation ?
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by DaHitler(m): 6:23pm On Jul 29, 2006
kitaun:

OK,accepted the military don't have the brain but what we need most is Nation of individuals standing up for their rights to entrench what they believe is right but do you know also that the opposition to the 3rd term agenda was also as a result of the coalition of strange bedfellows whom unfortunately are not by a speck better than OBJ himself.let us not forget that the vote of the common man never counts in this country but we keep talking of the IDEALISTIC situation, but do we really look into the[b] REALISTIC [/b] situation ?

Obasonja is better than IBB, Abacha and Abdulsalamy. I honestly believe that Buhari would do a better job than Obasonja, but thats because Buhari is not afraid to punish corrupt politicians. Obj merely sends them light warnings that they know won't amount to nothing.

And lasting, for all of you that like to compare Obj to Ibb, Abacha, and Abdulsalamy, I will agree with you only when you give me a list of people that Obasonjo is suspected of killing. The man might be fond of turning a blind eye, but that is not because he is cruel, it is because he is a moderate. And truly, he believes not all battles are worth fighting. The problem lies that in Nigeria, things are so bad that any battle left un-fought only ends up becoming worse. (See: Sharia in Zamfara. No one got hurt. Then they started implementing it in States that have a nearly 50/50 Christian muslim split, and over 10 thousand people were killed). Obj must realize that Nigerian, after so many years of military rule have grown cold. You no longer can reason with them. As the nation remains a democracy for longer, they will awaken. But for now, be strict, honest and just. And most importantly, don't hesitate to drop the full force of the book on anyone that dares goes against the constition. That means, No Sharia.
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by JayOJay(m): 6:46pm On Jul 29, 2006
@Kitaun. @Afeni. I guess we are not too far in ideas. All the same the old soldiers should go and rest. OBJ might not be bad comparatively but when you are too stubborn to listen to the voice of the people that they say is the voice of God you will definitely fail and you will not record much success. Baba never listens and if you don't listen to him he will distroy you! That is not a fair play! We need to try other people, we need to put the right people there in position and get to a stage where the vote of Nigerians will become important in deciding who rules the country. For the fact that we have SELECTION in Nigeria and not ELECTION does not mean that we should continue putting the likes of Baba, IBB, Buhari, Maruwa and the other self centred military people in power. THEY JUST CAN'T DO IT RIGHT!
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by DaHitler(m): 6:52pm On Jul 29, 2006
Buhari can do it right. His administration that lasted for 2 years brought about the greatest reduction in corruption the country has ever seen. You see, Nigeria is no longer a decent society. Nigeria must be told what is right and what is wrong. They have been corrupt. They need someone like Buhari to teach them again. When the cocain dealers begin to be executed like before, they will learn.
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by vanunu: 6:57pm On Jul 29, 2006
Donald Duke is a trick star, he evaded 'The National Youth Service' If we are in a decent society, he would not be governor today, so count him out, you people should go and find out, the real Donald Duke. The only governor in Nigeria today who is very clean and worthy for the job is Governor Sam Egwu of Ebonyi state.
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by kitaun(m): 7:29pm On Jul 29, 2006
@ afeni,

I beg to disagree with you on the issue of Buhari as he is believed to be in support of Islamic terrorists though he has denied this severally but his stance on religion has always been hampering him, moreso it was Idiagbon not him that was really the force behind programmes like War Against Indiscipline that really helped to enforce discipline way back then when you had people scared of doing things the wrong way or else the full wrath of the law was fully used to correct such anomalies
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by JayOJay(m): 8:06pm On Jul 29, 2006
There is no place in the world where corruption crime have been completely eliminated in in the advanced world(countries). U can only bring them to the bearest minimum. Thinkinking forcing people on to their knees will eliminate them you can only be wrong! The answer is mass education! letting everybody know his right from his left hand, gainful employment and letting people have the feel of living at all, which no government has given seriously attention. Those were the visions of the likes of Azikiwe, Awolowo, MKO, Bola Ige, Enahoro, Tai solarin, Prof. Wole Soyinka, Jakande, Gani Fawehinmi, Prof. Pat Utomi to mention but few. These are the people that were and are trying to do the right thing but the brainless military think it's all about force. They have always failed & they will continue to fail.
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by Christino(m): 3:48am On Jul 30, 2006
kitaun:

@ afeni,

I beg to disagree with you on the issue of Buhari as he is believed to be in support of Islamic terrorists though he has denied this severally but his stance on religion has always been hampering him, moreso it was Idiagbon not him that was really the force behind programmes like War Against Indiscipline that really helped to enforce discipline way back then when you had people scared of doing things the wrong way or else the full wrath of the law was fully used to correct such anomalies

U r right, that guy lost the last elections to OBJ majorly because of his stance on Religion. Even we OBJ haters had no other choice than to vote OBJ instead, i'd rather have one with no regard for religion than have one who would govern the nation with "Sharia".
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by FemiD(m): 4:58am On Jul 30, 2006
@kitaun
I agree to an extent with your post suggesting the need for some sort of military might to avoid pitfalls of a coup d'etat. Well I think that has been done now and we do not need them anymore. Their presence or absence can no longer prevent a coup. What we need now is a president with some military intelligence. It's a pity that most of the politicians are just concerned about transforming the economy and none is thinking of protecting it. We definitely need a George Bush kind of person who is well versed in military operations and control, someone who will touch every facet of life and that includes putting the military exactly where they belong at anytime.
On another note, it's sad to express that we will never have 'the best President'. It's the law of averages at work. The best and the worst will never come to being, the mediocres(average) is the best we can get. In a country where ours is still a politics of gangsters, I cannot but pity those professionals who want to come into politics. Imagine what happened to Funsho Williams - is that not enough to scare good-intentioned people?!
There is still so much to pray, wish and work for in Nigeria. Not until politics becomes a matter of presenting your facts and allowing the people to choose you based on your dreams and what to expect, then things will still not be right. Most people in politics now will be a wreck if they are no longer in positions and that is why it is still a do-or-die. If you truly want to serve the people and the people says no, u just pack your load. But we have people who will force themselves on people they want to serve. Is it by force to serve?
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by Abeem(m): 10:14pm On Jul 30, 2006
Jay-O-Jay:

There is no place in the world where corruption crime have been completely eliminated in in the advanced world(countries). U can only bring them to the bearest minimum. Thinkinking forcing people on to their knees will eliminate them you can only be wrong! The answer is mass education! letting everybody know his right from his left hand, gainful employment and letting people have the feel of living at all, which no government has given seriously attention. Those were the visions of the likes of Azikiwe, Awolowo, MKO, Bola Ige, Enahoro, Tai solarin, Prof. Wole Soyinka, Jakande, Gani Fawehinmi, Prof. Pat Utomi to mention but few. These are the people that were and are trying to do the right thing but the brainless military think it's all about force. They have always failed & they will continue to fail.

The statement is very true.  Even in the US, there have been cases of governors been convicted of corruption.  In a recent case similar to the collapsed building in Ebute-Metta, Lagos, there was a tunnel built with tax-payer's money that did not meet up with the required engineering standard and part of it gave way crushing a car and killing one of the occupants in the car. This is how a commentator put it: "$14 billion stolen by crooked democrats for a shoddy, third rate, sub-standard construcion that is disintegrating and killing people. The Big Dig was supposed to cost $3 billion. The rest was stolen."  See picture below. So no nation is immune from corruption after all.  What is necessary to get rid of the tendency to fall for greed and avarice that is present in human nature is to have good education, and above all, necessary social institutions that will prevent and deter people from corrupt enrichment.

Having said that, I do not think religious acrimony would let us achieve our objectives of having good governance in the country.  The country is too polarised along the religious divide that honest people with proven integrity and honest leadership will not have the support of a cross-section of Nigerians.  I am particulary piqued by the posting of some people saying that Buhari is a supporter of Islamist terrorist when in fact they have no evidence to support their claim.  It does not matter that that was the claim of politicians whose intentions were and will be to discredit their opponents in order to hoodwink the electorates into getting their votes. 

In politics, it is better to judge people by their antecedents, by what they stood for, what they achieved in the past and what visions they have for a better tomorrow.  The electorates must learn to read between the lines and not be influenced by bias or prejudice in discriminating in favor or against a politician for their religious leaning.

Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jul 30, 2006
right on afeni finally a Buhari supporter like me scatter you are wrong buhari is completely clean he was former petroleum minister under obasanjo,President,chairman of petroleum development trust fund he does'nt have any skeletons in is cupboard.I just can see why nigerians are blind this is the leader that can take us to the promised land as afeni said he brougt about the greatest reduction in corruption in the history of the country.Most see Buhari as a religious bigot but he is not if he was he would have shown it during his reign if you are looking for a bigot IBB is the man during his regime he took nigeria to the OIS through the back door.I hope you guys and nigerians can see the quality I see in buhari and not be deceive by the devil in disguise of people like duke who use their charm to win the sympathy of nigerians he is using TINAPA AND OBUDU to hoodwink nigerians I won't be surprised if EFCC ICKS him of after his tenure.Buhari is a very humble leader does'nt live an exravagant lifestyle like the IBBs who live in 50 rooms mansion.
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by Revolution: 11:04pm On Jul 30, 2006
Buhari may not be as wealthy as IBB but he is a lot wealthier than the pension of a retired General/Head of State would make make him. So where did Buhari get the money to fund his presidential campaign?

Question number 2. If Buhari is so clean why is he associating with IBB and Atiku?
Re: President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> by Abeem(m): 12:26am On Jul 31, 2006
@Revolution
Honestly I do not have answers to your questions but I do know for a fact that it is very easy to make money if you have investments in the stock market.  For a person like Buhari, he can be a multi-millionaire many times over without stealing.  Here is how.

As a man of small means, I bought a 2000 shares worth #4000 in a company in 1992.  By 1997, my investment in that single company was worth over #200,000.  I have shares in other companies like Mobil Oil, First Bank, Union Bank, Agip Oil and a plethora of other companies.  My worth in all these companies is worth  millions.

In those days when the shares of major companies were privatised, you can obtain loans from the Banks and have the loan paid off within one or two years with dividends and repayments from your monthly income.  How do I know this. I was employed at First Bank and worked at the Loans and Advances department for a number of years. I do know for a fact that a lot of VIPs took opportunity of this economic program to their maximum advantage.

Fact 2: While I was in Nigeria, I advised one of my Managers to buy shares in Union Bank when it was on offer at #2 for 1 share.  He bought 50,000 shares worth #100,000.  By the anniversary of the purchase, the bank declared a bonus of one share for every share held.  That brought his holdings to a total of 100,000 shares. By that date, the price of the shares had increased to #10.00, so that his investment of #100,000 had grown to #1,000,000.  That was 1991.  That initial investment of #100,000 would be worth more than #20,000,000 with bonuses the bank had declared over the years if not sold.

Fact 3: I was in Nigeria in 2001 and went to see one of my Managers at First Bank at his residence.  He had just retired as Assistant General Manager.  He was given a good retirement package to retire.  I told him to invest #3,000,000 in First Bank.  That sum bought him close to 300,000 shares.  Between 2001 and this year, the bank had declared stock dividends.  I cannot remember how much was declared between 2002 and 2004. But in 2005, First Bank declared I shares for every four held.  That brought his holding to 375,000. This year it is one for one, meaning if you own 375,000 shares, your shares will double to 750,000.  The current market price of those shares is currently around #60.00.  So you can see that my friend who had invested #3,000,000 in First Bank in 2001, will today be worth more than #40 million.

Imagine a person like Buhari.  With his exalted position, one thing that he will not lack is investment opportunities by virtue of the office he once occupied and even if he doesn't have the resources personnally, the banks will help out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Tinubu And Akande Sold The South West - George / Buhari Receives Ministerial Screening Report From Saraki (Photos) / Buhari's Government Has Worsened Nigeria's Economy-Soludo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.