Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,901 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single (29094 Views)

My Colleague And I Are Sleeping With The Same Girl - Should I Tell Him? / Things Every Girl Should Know About Her Fiance Before Marriage / The Age A Girl Should Get Disvirgined Before It's Too Late! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by nikkypearl(f): 4:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
I personally have never believed people who claim they choose to be single.

I mean, you may come to enjoy being single and make the most out of it, but if your idea of Prince Charming shows up one day, you’re not gonna be like,

Sorry, Krall Jonathan, I’m busy treading a sea of not-so-eligible candidates right now. Please come back after I’ve had a few more meaningless one-night stands and assh*le encounters.
grin

While being single may not necessarily be a choice, spending your time wisely as an uncommitted 20-something is.

Instead of plotting how to land a man or being envious of your friends who already have, take this time to explore some valuable lessons that every girl in her 20s should know so you’ll be ready for Mr. Krall when he finally arrives.

1. Being Happy in Your Own Company
Being alone can be hard, but it’s important to not be dependent on the company of others to be happy.

No one likes a clinger, and your future boyfriend will respect the fact that you have other interests besides him and are capable of having a good time all on your own. Read a good book, watch a new movie, pick up a hobby or go jogging.

There are plenty of things you can do all by yourself to stay entertained.

2. Mastering the Art of Self-Soothing
It’s great to have someone around to take care of you when you’re sick, hug you when you’re sad, or just listen to your problems.

For the times you don’t have that, however, you should learn to master the art of self-soothing. This is when a nice bottle of wine and a hot bubble bath comes in. It’s always good to be able to brush yourself off and keep going.

3. Being Happy for the Romantic Successes of Others
Green is not a pretty color on anyone, and the older you get, the harder it can be to be happy for the romantic successes of others when you’re still single. However, being bitter or resentful is not going to attract the kind of energy and attention you want.

Make a conscious effort to be happy for your friends who are getting married or pregnant, even if your romantic life is in the dumps. Your time will come soon enough, and you will want your friends to be happy and celebrate with you when it does.

4. Not Living in the Past
You can’t spend your single years thinking about the boyfriends you used to have or flowers you used to get on random Tuesday mornings.

That part of your life is over; the sooner you put it behind you and accept that, the sooner you’ll be ready to move on to the next stage in your life.

5. Not Idealizing Your Ex
We all have that one person who got away, and you probably think of him or her from time to time. Don’t — it’s useless. The chances of you two being legitimate soul mates are slim to none.

The chances of you perfecting an image of someone in your mind because you’re lonely and crave familiarity? Much more probable.

6. Altering Your List Might Surprise You
Being single is the perfect time to reassess what it is you really want out of a relationship. Are you looking for someone to challenge you, make you laugh or live a healthy lifestyle with you?

Be clear on what it is you’re looking for, and you might be surprised to find you’re more open to things that were previously deal breakers.

You might realize the rich doctor type you’ve been chasing after hasn’t actually worked out for you, and you want to give the struggling writer a shot, instead. Be open to trying something new and it might surprise you.

7. Recognizing the Value of Your Individualism
There’s no better time than when you’re single to develop and appreciate your own train of thought. No one likes a yes man, and you want to be the kind of girl who can think meaningfully about issues and problems without having to resort to her boyfriend for his opinion first.

8. Settling Sucks
Yes, it’s tough to be single, but even worse than being single is being in bad company. If you’re doing everything else right, you should actually be having a pretty decent time finding out more about yourself as a person, spending time with friends and family and excelling in your career.

Why would you want to ruin that by adding someone to your life who only half interests you? Don’t bother. At no point is settling ever a good idea.

9. Make your own money!I repeat make your own money!please stop letting men bash you up and down becauses they think you can't live without them (most especially nairaland guys! grin)
Make them realise nobody is indispensable!
I hate it when a young lady think she can only survive collecting from men!damn!!!I be like "is she dump
I graduated 7years ago,I waisted 2years looking for jobs,but low nd behold!most of the men wanted THAT THING in exchange 4jobs,then I discovered I have passion for design,I went into fashion designing,before I knw it,I was already making my own money before I eventually got my present Job on the island here in lagos!

To all my nairand ladies!please Say NO to liabilty today!I love yah all!

94 Likes 16 Shares

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by Fargbaba: 4:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
Wow!!!am loving this!
Lol @ "especially nairaland guys"...grin

10 Likes

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by lalasticlala(m): 4:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
nice one.

ladies una don hear?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by hungryboy(m): 4:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
incase e reach frontpage
My name is Denis
I come from Venice

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 28, 2014
nikkypearl, who is "jonathan krall" again? cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by nikkypearl(f): 7:07pm On Aug 28, 2014
hungryboy: incase e reach frontpage
My name is Denis
I come from Venice
No its might not hit the frontpage!I wish tho'
Yo name is hungry boy!
You are from sapele grin
krall: nikkypearl, who is "jonathan krall" again? cheesy

Hmm!now he is flattered!grin na only u be Krall abi?

3 Likes

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by onstelly(f): 7:15pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nice one, I have always believe so much in making my own money

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 28, 2014
nikkypearl:

Hmm!now he is flattered!grin na only u be Krall abi?
yes ofcourse. maybe apart from diana krall who i didnt know until i received mentions of her. so why should i not be flattered??

2 Likes

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by jennylove7575(f): 7:30pm On Aug 28, 2014
Exactly op.....men can't bash me, I bash men..more so I have my own pepper....Singleton
is good....

7 Likes

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by nikkypearl(f): 7:34pm On Aug 28, 2014
jennylove7575: Exactly op.....men can't bash me, I bash men..more so I have my own pepper....Singleton
is good....

Nice one! wink

onstelly: Nice one, I have always believe so much in making my own money

Thumb up! wink
Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by Fargbaba: 7:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
To the two ladies above me...thumb up for yah!
Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by Ezibless: 7:49pm On Aug 28, 2014
I agree on that ''MAKE YOUR OWN MONEY'' part.
I'm into fashion designing too while i await MSS service. Ladies love cloths and i'm so enriching myself with the cash they spend to sew. cool

Thanks to EFOSAVAL of the fashion section kiss

7 Likes

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by jorhney(m): 7:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
h
Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by Babyboy1986(m): 7:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
Ok.

FP things.
Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by POG007: 7:55pm On Aug 28, 2014
you are very right with this article. kudos smiley
[url=www.]See femi Kuti's 93 Year-Old Grandmother[/url]
Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 28, 2014
spacebookers over to you.
Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by Babyboy1986(m): 7:55pm On Aug 28, 2014
U be mumu ooo.
jorhney: h

1 Like

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by POG007: 7:55pm On Aug 28, 2014
[url=www.]See What Happened When Fraudsters Tried To Con Basketmouth Of N500,000![/url]
Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
Love this topic.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by jorhney(m): 7:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
Babyboy1986: U be mumu ooo.

otondo lipsrsealed
Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
Interesting piece , ladies really needs to learn how to be independent , am learning too smiley

2 Likes

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by diamond4life: 7:59pm On Aug 28, 2014
[b][/b]na true sha

1 Like

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by henryobinna(m): 7:59pm On Aug 28, 2014
nikkypearl:
I personally have never believed people who claim they choose to be single.

I mean, you may come to enjoy being single and make the most out of it, but if your idea of Prince Charming shows up one day, you’re not gonna be like,

Sorry, Krall Jonathan, I’m busy treading a sea of not-so-eligible candidates right now. Please come back after I’ve had a few more meaningless one-night stands and assh*le encounters.
grin

While being single may not necessarily be a choice, spending your time wisely as an uncommitted 20-something is.

Instead of plotting how to land a man or being envious of your friends who already have, take this time to explore some valuable lessons that every girl in her 20s should know so you’ll be ready for Mr. Krall when he finally arrives.

1. Being Happy in Your Own Company
Being alone can be hard, but it’s important to not be dependent on the company of others to be happy.

No one likes a clinger, and your future boyfriend will respect the fact that you have other interests besides him and are capable of having a good time all on your own. Read a good book, watch a new movie, pick up a hobby or go jogging.

There are plenty of things you can do all by yourself to stay entertained.

2. Mastering the Art of Self-Soothing
It’s great to have someone around to take care of you when you’re sick, hug you when you’re sad, or just listen to your problems.

For the times you don’t have that, however, you should learn to master the art of self-soothing. This is when a nice bottle of wine and a hot bubble bath comes in. It’s always good to be able to brush yourself off and keep going.

3. Being Happy for the Romantic Successes of Others
Green is not a pretty color on anyone, and the older you get, the harder it can be to be happy for the romantic successes of others when you’re still single. However, being bitter or resentful is not going to attract the kind of energy and attention you want.

Make a conscious effort to be happy for your friends who are getting married or pregnant, even if your romantic life is in the dumps. Your time will come soon enough, and you will want your friends to be happy and celebrate with you when it does.

4. Not Living in the Past
You can’t spend your single years thinking about the boyfriends you used to have or flowers you used to get on random Tuesday mornings.

That part of your life is over; the sooner you put it behind you and accept that, the sooner you’ll be ready to move on to the next stage in your life.

5. Not Idealizing Your Ex
We all have that one person who got away, and you probably think of him or her from time to time. Don’t — it’s useless. The chances of you two being legitimate soul mates are slim to none.

The chances of you perfecting an image of someone in your mind because you’re lonely and crave familiarity? Much more probable.

6. Altering Your List Might Surprise You
Being single is the perfect time to reassess what it is you really want out of a relationship. Are you looking for someone to challenge you, make you laugh or live a healthy lifestyle with you?

Be clear on what it is you’re looking for, and you might be surprised to find you’re more open to things that were previously deal breakers.

You might realize the rich doctor type you’ve been chasing after hasn’t actually worked out for you, and you want to give the struggling writer a shot, instead. Be open to trying something new and it might surprise you.

7. Recognizing the Value of Your Individualism
There’s no better time than when you’re single to develop and appreciate your own train of thought. No one likes a yes man, and you want to be the kind of girl who can think meaningfully about issues and problems without having to resort to her boyfriend for his opinion first.

8. Settling Sucks
Yes, it’s tough to be single, but even worse than being single is being in bad company. If you’re doing everything else right, you should actually be having a pretty decent time finding out more about yourself as a person, spending time with friends and family and excelling in your career.

Why would you want to ruin that by adding someone to your life who only half interests you? Don’t bother. At no point is settling ever a good idea.

9. Make your own money!I repeat make your own money!please stop letting men bash you up and down becauses they think you can't live without them (most especially nairaland guys! grin)
Make them realise nobody is indispensable!
I hate it when a young lady think she can only survive collecting from men!damn!!!I be like "is she dump
I graduated 7years ago,I waisted 2years looking for jobs,but low nd behold!most of the men wanted THAT THING in exchange 4jobs,then I discovered I have passion for design,I went into fashion designing,before I knw it,I was already making my own money before I eventually got my present Job on the island here in lagos!

To all my nairand ladies!please Say NO to liabilty today!I love yah all!
damn! what is wrong with NL this night?
so so long posts... na wa oh...

BTW nice write-up even tho I read only few numbers
Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by HonourablePomk: 7:59pm On Aug 28, 2014
OP tell them

1 Like

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by 1one: 8:00pm On Aug 28, 2014
@op
Source? undecided

Or

Link?

1 Like

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by ichidodo: 8:00pm On Aug 28, 2014
Chei! Op you can lie o..

1 Like

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by expozey(f): 8:01pm On Aug 28, 2014
Very true.

1 Like

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by ayusco85(m): 8:02pm On Aug 28, 2014
Well its high time ladies know that been in a relationship is not a job opportunity, start making ur own money too cheesy. Only ur husband is obligated to spend money on u without any bashing up and down.

Last bullet: all this lists on nairaland these days suck I tells ya undecided

3 Likes

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by Climax4: 8:10pm On Aug 28, 2014
Wow!dats very gud of u ilike dat and i like girls like u just like my fiancee.keep it up girl the lord is ur strenth

1 Like

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by bonnyt(m): 8:11pm On Aug 28, 2014
Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by Nobody: 8:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
how many girls would actually read this and follow your advice...

4 Likes

Re: 9 Important Independence Lessons Every Girl Should Learn While She 's Single by nikkypearl(f): 8:14pm On Aug 28, 2014
ichidodo: Chei! Op you can lie o..

Hian!wat I do grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Wrong Mindsets Singles Have About Relationships / Pre-wedding Pictures Of A Nairalander / Why Every Girl Should Marry A Nigerian Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.