Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,312 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? (62889 Views)

Grow Your Plants Without Soil - Grow In The Air / What Are Some Crops I Could Grow In Abia State? / How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by pankere(m): 10:15am On Sep 27, 2014
The imported grapes n apples you buy on the road side are not the natural type. They have been genetically modified to enhance taste,color etc. And the seeds have been made sterile,even if you plant them here or anywhere else in the world they can NEVER germinate!

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Collynzo22: 10:17am On Sep 27, 2014
The kind of apples you have in your picture are grown in Nigeria, not commercially though.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by kannymoore(m): 10:20am On Sep 27, 2014
Onegai:

Why so long? Nigeria really isn't that big na.

Nne...

Forget that thing oh! Nigeria is far bigger than you think!!!

I used to spend 26hrs on the road from Lagos to Adamawa during my NYSC... By the time you arrive Numan in Adamawa ehn, your Nyash go don dey so flattened that you'll need a masseuse to mould am back into shape !! grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by 2sexyus: 10:21am On Sep 27, 2014
God bless you... Nigeria always casting blames since 1800 grin grin grin
QuiverBox:

Why dont you seek ways to develop a hybid seed that will grow in tropical region rather than blame the foreign farmers
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 27, 2014
Apple is Grown in JOS but in small quantity along side strawberry

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by thwarrior72: 10:30am On Sep 27, 2014
naijafresh:

Yes it's true, I saw them inject every single Apple tree in the world!

After witnessing this dastardly act, I made my grand father who is a native doctor inject every single yam, pawpaw and mango tree in Africa with jazz so they can't be grown abroad.

Revenge is sweet but ignorance is a curse!

This got me rolling on the floor grin grin
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by ayukdaboss(m): 10:36am On Sep 27, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

pineapple/banana
Banana? wink shocked
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 27, 2014
crispgg: Why don't you visit the Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Ibadan? If apples can be grown here I'm sure they will know about it.

Also, I'm aware that there is an area called Gembu in Taraba or Adamawa state where some Nigerian big men have apple farms. Heard that the place is cooler than Jos and they do experience snowfall some years.

Gembu is a hilly area in Taraba state, it has a high altitude hence its cold but it doesn't snow there.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 10:41am On Sep 27, 2014
But we have our own apples here in Nigeria...i prefer it to the foreign apples...i still wonder why people buy those foreign apples....plus its expensive.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by P007: 10:47am On Sep 27, 2014
Apple don't grow or do well in the tropics due to the temperature. Apple need chilling temperature between flowering and fruiting stage to do well. That's temperature or weather we do not have here. Mind you, its not that apple won't grow but it won't do well that's why we have our local variety.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:54am On Sep 27, 2014
Hey Hey Hey! go to Jos and see. apples grow well, there are lots of locally grown apples in jaytown.
dont assume we cant grow apples in naija abeg.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by gudluckgreat(m): 10:57am On Sep 27, 2014
Awesome Comment...where are Our Biotech Engineers and Biochemists?
QuiverBox:

Why dont you seek ways to develop a hybid seed that will grow in tropical region rather than blame the foreign farmers
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 27, 2014
There's an apple tree in my village! No kidding! How it got there .....I dunno
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:06am On Sep 27, 2014
spotit: if it wasn't for this place, i wouldn't have known that most Nigerians are very ignorant. why do you have internet if you couldn't even access reliable information by choice. and all u hear all day is silly propaganda

You took the words out of my mind. Oyinbo injected apples. Apparently, said in utter seriousness.

Meanwhile, Google is right there. It makes me sad. The internet was supposed to change things.

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 27, 2014
another alternative of growing the apples here in Nigeria? How about you telling me the other alternatives. I'd be indeed grateful and happy[/quote]

I strongly believe that, if apples could grow here, people would have found a way around it. Especially those that have travelled out of Nigeria to Apple producing countries. I think it's a climate thing. I love them apples kiss
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by kennosklint(m): 11:12am On Sep 27, 2014
We don't want it so we ar nt interested...
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Drayton: 11:15am On Sep 27, 2014
i beg this lepa gawu song. i don search for Internet i no find am. Help me with am I beg. i listened to it on radio and fell in love with it againi beg this lepa gawu song. i don search for Internet i no find am. Help me with am I beg. i listened to it on radio and fell in love with it againi beg this lepa gawu song. i don search for Internet i no find am. Help me with am I beg. i listened to it on radio and fell in love with it again
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by awodiyat: 11:15am On Sep 27, 2014
Apple phone or apple fruit
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by miqos02(m): 11:20am On Sep 27, 2014
learning
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 27, 2014
another alternative of growing the apples here in Nigeria? How about you telling me the other alternatives. I'd be indeed grateful and happy[/quote]

I strongly believe that, if apples could grow here, people would have found a way around it. Especially those that have travelled out of Nigeria to Apple producing countries. Live seeds would have been brought in. I think it's a climate thing. I love them apples kiss
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by fiquo(m): 11:22am On Sep 27, 2014
According to research, Apples can only grow in temperate regions i.e in cold weather condition. if such weather condition can be modified in a greenhouse im sure apples will grow in Nigeria.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by jimjones: 11:31am On Sep 27, 2014
himkers:

That's my point. What made it 'dead on arrival?'
Is it a deliberate attempt by the foreign farmers to keep it away from Nigeria (and probably africa)?

Good lord....your way far, charleh. Smh...
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by gebest: 11:35am On Sep 27, 2014
yeah they do if u check my back yard here u ll see them.
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by iamord(m): 11:35am On Sep 27, 2014
felixzo1: IT will not grow in our weather, even plateau state it does not perform well, it requires a very cold weather

This is why we need to advance our agricultural practices and stop blaming people.. We need to adopt healthy GMO practices green house and hybrid sustainable farming. here if we are to ever grow such and make our region a food basket. Black people should think like there is no box

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by mikron(m): 11:35am On Sep 27, 2014
Thats not true, apple grows in jos Nigeria. fàrmers grows apple there because the weather is similiar to that of european countries. Jossites in da house abi i talk lie?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by iamord(m): 11:39am On Sep 27, 2014
trite:

another alternative of growing the apples here in Nigeria? How about you telling me the other alternatives. I'd be indeed grateful and happy

I strongly believe that, if apples could grow here, people would have found a way around it. Especially those that have travelled out of Nigeria to Apple producing countries. Live seeds would have been brought in. I think it's a climate thing. I love them apples kiss

Its possible like I stated above. Its all about technology and being innovative. But even at that one of the major problems is the people that are importing it ,, they won't welcome such challenge
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by dellaziz(m): 11:41am On Sep 27, 2014
Drayton: i beg this lepa gawu song. i don search for Internet i no find am. Help me with am I beg. i listened to it on radio and fell in love with it againi beg this lepa gawu song. i don search for Internet i no find am. Help me with am I beg. i listened to it on radio and fell in love with it againi beg this lepa gawu song. i don search for Internet i no find am. Help me with am I beg. i listened to it on radio and fell in love with it again

you mean magic system ..by koffi olomide or so..premier gauo..by magic system
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by iamord(m): 11:42am On Sep 27, 2014
MissMeiya:

You took the words out of my mind. Oyinbo injected apples. Apparently, said in utter seriousness.

Meanwhile, Google is right there. It makes me sad. The internet was supposed to change things.

Lol! Asin!!
The ones they did not “inject” and we have been. Cultivating since. What have we done and how far have we gone with those ones?
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by oganology33(m): 11:46am On Sep 27, 2014
[color=#000099][/color]If Apple only grows in temperate AKA cold weather, y does Apple products eg. iPhone, iPad work in hot weathers grin
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by jnizzle(m): 11:48am On Sep 27, 2014
I know for a fact dat its grown in adamawa state on a farm owned by ex gov of d state......Nyanko.......its cultivated in a green house over there
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by 100Cents: 11:53am On Sep 27, 2014
jamillion: I av artificial apple garden....

Pictures won't be bad..
Re: Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? by ntyce(m): 11:58am On Sep 27, 2014
main reason has to do with climate.
The needed temperature and photo-period (sunshine) can't be found in Nigeria.
It may grow in Jos/Adamawa but won't thrive well.

Previous attempts by scientists showed that the seed germinated into tree but won't fruit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My New Tomatoes Farm / Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks / The Biggest Fishes In My Fish Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.